PART 2 OF RICK'S VINTAGE HOMES



Free website hit counter
Search St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a specific address?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
NOTE: Does not work for DECEASED CLASSMATES

Sorted by numeral streets or alphabetically

Street areas in this Vintage Home section include:
16th STREET - 33rd STREET AREAS

16th STREET AREA





1627 Jules Street






1623 Jules Street






1619 Jules Street






1615 Jules Street






Circa 1913
Cyril F. Wilson
1614 Jules Street

Single story brick dwelling with Neo-classical detail built in 1913 for Cyril F. Wilson, owner of a buggy and auto repair shop. Rectangle plan shape with truncated hip roof, prominent facade hip roof dormer with a paired window. Five symmetrical facade bays with segmental shaped arches, centered entry under a full porch supported on round wood columns with Tuscan capitals, square spindle balustrade






1613 Jules Street






Circa 1894
James Limbird House
1606 Jules Street

Two story frame dwelling built in 1894 as a speculative venture together with 1602 and 1604 Jules street, all of which originally matched one another, alhough subsequent changes have rendered them dramatically different. All three were built for James Limbird, attorney who lived in 1606. All are built with late Queen Anne detailing. A prominent facade wing has a shingle pediment with a shingle frieze beneath the cornice extending around the building matching a broad shingle shirt dividing the two storys [surviving on 1602 only] They all had full porches [surviving on 1602 and l604] 1602 has a wood pylon support system and 1604 has modern iron support. All have irregular plan shape with hip and gable roof plan. This house has modern siding and has lost the original porch over the reentrant angle entry.






Circa 1894
James Limbird House
1604 Jules Street

Two story frame dwelling built in 1894 as a speculative venture together with 1602 and 1606 Jules street, all of which originally matched one another, though subsequent changes have rendered them dramatically different, All three were built for James Limbird, attorney, who lived in 1606 Jules. All are built with late Queen Anne detailing. A prominent facade wing has a shingle pediment with a shingle frieze beneath the cornice extending around the building matching a broad shingle shirt dividing the two storys [Surviving on 1602 only] They all had full porches [surviving on 1602 and 1604] 1602 has a wood pylon support system and 1604 has modern iron support. All have irregular plan shape with hip and gable roof plan. The house is sheathed in a stucco covering.






Circa 1894
James Limbird House
1602 Jules Street

Two story frame dwelling built in 1894 as a speculative venture together with 1606 and 1604 Jules street, all of which originally matched one another, though subsequent changes have rendered them dramatically different, All three were built for James Limbird, an attorney who lived in 1606 Jules. All are built with late Queen Anne detailing. A prominent facade wing has a shingle pediment with a shingle frieze beneath the cornice extending around the building matching a broad shingle shirt dividing the two storys [surviving on 1602 only] They all had full porches (surviving on 1602 and 1604]. 1602 has a wood pylon support system dating to 1920 and 1604 has modern iron support. All have irregular plan shape with hip and gable roof plan. This house survives more intact than the other two with lap siding and a rear porch which appears to be orginal with turned post support




1 2

1620 Faraon Street






Circa 1893
C. L. Wiehl House
1617 Faraon Street

Two and one half story frame Queen Anne dwelling built in 1893 for C. L. Wiehl, cashier of the Park Bank. Multi-gable roof plan and irregular plan shape. Gable pediments are fish scale shingled. Gable in a gable on the facade above a rectangle ariel at the second story. Full porch wrapping around the east elevation at the reentrant angle. Spindle frieze on the porch with a gabled projection supported on wooden consoles over the porch entfy. At the porch corner is an angled projection. Chamfered wood posts support the porch. modern iron balustrade. At the building corner on the facade above the porch is a small balcony with patterned balustrade. Lap Siding.






1614 Faraon Street






Circa 1885/1888 (Altered)
J. R. Bauerlein House
1611 Faraon Street

Single story frame dwelling with Queen Anne detail built earlier but remodeled to it's present appearance in 1888 by J.R. Bouerlein, co-owner of the Karle and Company Carriage Company. Truncated hip roof with rectangle shaped building and symmetrical three bay facade and centered entry. Full porch is supported on turned wood posts whiCh curves around the west corner and continues along the side elevation. Balustrade of turned spindles, wodern stucco finish






Circa 1892
Edward M. Davidson House
1605 Faraon Street

Two story frame dwelling, Queen Anne shape, built in 1892 for Edward Davidson, a retired farmer. Trunicated hip roof, irregular plan shape. Window and door openings have been altered and there is modern siding






Circa 1885
1602 Faraon Street

Square plan shape with pyramidal hip roof. Small scroll bracketing set under the roof eaves. Window openings have triangular window heads and two over two light sash. At the east elevation is a single story wing at whose reentrant angle is the entry over which is a small porch supported at the corner with a single round wood column with Tuscan capital, modern siding






Circa 1892
John W. Harris House
1601 Faraon Street

Two story frame building with asymmetrical massing and truncated hip roof. Queen Anne shape built in 1892 for John W. Harris. Gabled wall dormer dominates the facade. Assymetrically placed hip roofed oriel above the full porch which is supported on wood columns with Tuscan capitals. The porch wraps around the west elevation until meeting with a projected wing on that elevation. Modern Siding.






Circa 1901
E. P. Fenner Home
1622-1624 Buchanan






Circa 1894
James Noice House
1620 Buchanan






Circa 1888
Daniel McDonald House
1616 Buchanan






Circa 1900
Mrs. A. McDonald House
1612 Buchanan






Circa 1906
1608-1610 Buchanan

Two story brick duplex built in 1906 by P. P. Buddy, the owner of a building and contracting firm who lived adjacent at 1602 Buchanan, Rectangle building with a Flat roof behind a patterned brick parapet with projected metal cornice, Small porches over the entrances at either building corner With hip roofs and supported on tapering wood pylons resting on a brick parapet wall






Circa 1906
1604-1606

Two story brick duplex built in 1906 by P. P. Buddy, the owner of a building and contracting firm who lived adjacent at 1602 Buchanan. Rectangle building with a flat roof behind a patterned brick parapet with projected metal cornice, small porches over the entrances at either building corner With hip roofs and supported on tapering wood pylons resting on a brick parapet wall






Circa 1887/1907 (Altered)
John Landis
1602 Buchanan

Two and one half story frame dwelling with stucco covering originally in the Queen Anne style as built by John Landis in 1887, but substantially remodeled in 1907 by Phillip P.Buddy. Landis was the person who subdivided the former farm tract into lots and blocks. His occupation was listed as insurance agent in 1889. Buddy was the president and treasurer of the P. P. Buddy Building and Construction Company at the time he remodeled this house






450 North 16th Street






426-428 North 16th Street






424 North 16th Street




1 2

422 North 16th Street






419-421 North 16th Street






418-420 North 16th Street






417 North 16th Street






416 North 16th Street






415 North 16th Street




1 2

409-411 North 16th Street






Circa 1892
309-311 North 16th Street






Circa 1899
307 North 16th Street






Circa 1900
305 North 16th Street






301 North 16th Street






Circa 1900
216-218 North 16th Street






Circa 1900
215 North 16th Street






Circa 1912
212-214 North 16th Street






209 North 16th Street






206 North 16th Street






Circa 1900
1613-1615 Faraon Street






108 South 16th Street






CONSTANCE FAUNTLEROY RUNCIE
1619 FARAON STREET



17th STREET AREA





Circa 1880/1906 (Altered)
W. H. Haynes House
1719 Faraon Street

Two and one half story dwelling built in two major stages. The first section dates to 1880 while the primary current appearance was created during the remodeling dating to 1906 made by W. H. Haynes, an attorney, who lived at an adjacent property. The first story is brick with a few Italianate details surviving. There is a paired window with a hood supported on massive scroll brackets. The second story is frame constructed with modern siding. Irregular plan with a multi-hip roof plan, There is a small porch at the facade supported on round wood columns with Tuscan capitals at the reentrant angle of a primary focode wing and the main house






Circa 1904
W. H. Haynes House
1715 Faraon Street

Two and one half story brick dwelling built with Foursqure plan built in 1904 as speculative venture by W.H. Haynes, attorney, who lived at an adjacent property. Square house with pyrmidal raofline. Hip roof dormer on the facade. Full porch across the facade supported on round wood columns with Tuscan capitals resting an brick piers. Leaded glass transoms over the window bays of the first story






Circa 1907
John Dobler House
1714 Faraon Street

John Dobler, together with his brother Jacob, owned a Wine, Liquor, and Cigar store at 218-220 Felix street and next door, they ran "Dobler's Hall". Combination hip and gable roof plan with brood projected eaves and dentiled cornice with brood frieze. There are gable dormers With decorative metal worked tympanums. On the west there projects a brood wing with on engaged chimney with an inset stained glass window. On the east elevation is a landing stained art glass windOW. Below one of the gable dormers on the facade is a chamfer shaped oriel resting on a full porch with broad eaves and dentil cornice resting on corner paired square brick columns. Some of the brick used in the colums are mishappened kiln wasters specifically used for decorative effect. Bevel and leaded glass sidelights flank the doors and are used above the windows as transoms on the first story






1710 Faraon Street






Circa 1882/1892 (Altered)
W. H. Haynes House
1709-1711 Faraon Street

Two story frame building built originolly as a Queen Anne dwelling. Remodeled at a later date and stripped of much of ita detail. Built in 1882 and substantially remodeled by the same owner, W. H. Haynes, an attorney, in 1894. Basic rectangle shape with hip roof. On the east elevation is a projected wing. Corner cutout porch supported on round wood columnn at both storys with Tuscan capitals. Modern siding ond modern entrances at the west corner of the facade






1708 Faraon Street






Circa 1892
Archey M. Woodson House
1707 Faraon Street

Two story brick Queen Anne dwelling built in 1892 by Archey M. Woodson, a judge of the Circuit Court. The house has an irregular plan shape and truncated hip roofline with facade gabled wall dormer. Corbeled brick cornice, flat brick arches at the openings. On the west elevation is a polygonal bay window. Brick stringcoursing is used as a strong design element. Original porch is missing






1706 Faraon Street






1702 Faraon Street




1

534 North 17th Street




1

Circa 1897
Jacob Olf House
449-451 North 17th Street




1

Circa 1896
Mrs Mollie Jones House
447 North 17th Street






Circa 1889
Pendleton & Ellis (Builders)
443-445 North 17th Street






442 North 17th Street






Circa 1887/1907 (Altered)
Louis Deitsch House
439 North 17th Street






436-438 North 17th Street






Circa 1900
435-437 North 17th Street






432-434 North 17th Street






Circa 1900
431-433 North 17th Street






Circa 1899
429 North 17th Street






428-430 North 17th Street




1 2

Circa 1901
427 North 17th Street






424-426 North 17th Street






Circa 1889/1932 (Altered)
423 North 17th Street






418 North 17th Street






Circa 1890
Community of Christ Church
415 North 17th Street






318 North 17th Street






314-316 North 17th Street




1 2

316 North 17th Street






314 North 17th Street






312 North 17th Street






308 North 17th Street






306 North 17th Street






427 North 17th Street






1701-1703 FRANCIS STREET

This was originally Charles C. Archibald's heating and plumbing business at the 1701-1703 Francis street. It is currently an apartment house






Circa 1881
Joseph Hayward, Sr.
204 North 17th Street

The water permit for this property was listed in the name of Joseph Hayward, Sr., the Roadmaster for the Kanasas City, St Joseph and Council Bluffs Railroad, in 1881, the first year he was first listed at this address
The two story front porch was probably added in 1909 when a building pemit was taken out on the property. In spite of this large porch which obscures much of the front facade, the origbal profile render the building a strongly contributing member of a potential historic district in the William T. Harris area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings.






Circa 1963
Charles C. Archibald garage w/apartment
211 North 17th Street

This contemporary vernacular building would be an intrusion incompatible with the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings The structure was built by Charles C. Archibald, who had a heating and plumbing business at the neighboring 1701-1703 Francis street
This utilitarian concrete block structure is capped by a low hipped roof and has paired garage doors on the ground floor. There is an apartment on the second level which is approached by a stairway with landings on the south. The main entry on the south and the windows are rectilinear and finished by flush concrete lintels above.
The south and rear yards are enclosed by a wooden fence.






Circa 1895
Dr. George C. Potter
218 North 17th Street

The 1895 building permit for this residence was listed in the name of William Humphrey who dealt in real estate and did not live here. The 1895 water permit was in the name of Dr. George C. Potter who did live here.
Although this example of the late Queen Anne style has lost it's original full length front porch, it retains several stained glass transoms surface treatment and massing from this period and would contribute significantly to the establishment of an historic district in the William T. Harris neighborhood.
As characteristic of the Queen Anne style, this building has highly irregular massing. The steeply hipped roofs interrupted the east by a wide gable capping deeply a projecting square bay, on the north by a similar 2½ story and wide gable, and on the south by a tripartite two story bay with its own hipped roof. Transoms of the wider rectilinear windows on the first and second story have stained glass. The full length front porch has been removed. The front and south entries now have bracketed canopies
This lot slopes toward the north. A driveway runs along the south side of the building.






Circa 1895
August H. Uhlinger
220 North 17th Street

This house was constructed in 1895 for August H. Uhlinger who was in sales at the Louis Hax Furniture Company. The building permit listed the construction cost as $2,500. This well preserved example of the Queen Anne style would contribute significantly to the establishment of an historic district in the William T. Harris Neighborhood of quality 19th and early 20th Century residential architecture.
This lot slopes toward the north and is enclosed the by a picket fence on the east and on the other sides by chainlink fencing.




1 2

Circa 1895
John Baumann
224 North 17th Street

This house was constructed in 1895 for John Baumann, who was listed as "retired" in the City Directory. The construction cost listed on the building permit was $1,800. This well preserved example of the Queen Anne style, along with the coeval structures on this side of the street form a significant grouping that would contribute strongly to the establishment of historic district in the William T. Harris Neighborhood
This lot slopes dramatically north and west and is enclosed along the east and northeast by a 19th Century ornamental fence. The rest of the yard is lined with chainlink fencing.






1704 Jules Street

William A. Moseley, in the harness and saddlery business, was listed at this address only in the 1886 City Directory. The following year he moved one door east to 1710 Jule. Although Sheathed in siding, this Victorian cottage is compatible in period, proportion and use with the high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings found in the neighboring Harris Addition and would contribute to the establishment of an historic district in this area. This corner property is enclosed by chain link fencing. There is a driveway leading to an attached garage on the south side of the house.






1710 Jules Street

William A. Moseley, in the harness and saddlery business, was first listed at this address in 1887. Mr. Moseley lived the preceding year at 1704 Jule, one door west. Although the front porch has been remodeled, this Queen Anne cottage remains largely intact and would contribute to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings.






1712 Jules Street

William A. McAllister, a buyer at the Wyeth Hardware and Manufacturing Company, was first listed at this address in the 1881 City Directory. The profile of this house suggests a possibly high quality Queen Anne style building sheathed in siding obscuring architectural detailing and window treatment. As is the house is not architecturally distinguished however, the profile, period and use would contribute to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area of fine 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings. The property slopes west and is bounded on the east by an alley. In the rear, there is a two-car garage of wood frame with a hipped roof.






Circa 1922
E.A. Ettenson
1716 Jules Street

This bungalow style residence was built in 1922 by David Digan who resided at 220 N. 18th Street.
E.A. Ettenson, a solicitor for the Missouri State Life Insurance Company, was listed at this address in the 1924 City Directory. Though later in period than most of the buildings in the Harris Addition area, this house would contribute to the establishment of an historic district because of its compatible proportion and use.
This property slopes toward the west and is bounded on the west by an alley. In the rear of the building there is a one-ear garage with asphalt shingle siding and a shed roof.






Circa 1901
1717-1719 Jules Street

The 1901 building permit is in the name of Jacob Bauman, who was a retired investor residing behind this building at 308 North 18th street. This well intact duplex retains it's original profile and Classical Revival front porch which renders it a strongly contributing member of a possible historic district in the Harris Addition area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings. The building is sited on a low bank supported on the west by a concrete retaining wall. An alley runs along the west, beyond which is a concrete parking area for the neighboring church.






17th & FRANCIS STREET






1723 Francis Street

This is a beautiful Bed and Breakfast






17th & FRANCIS STREET




1 2

425 NORTH 17th STREET




1 2 3

17th & FRANCIS STREET




1 2

Circa 1901
427 North 17th Street






424-426 North 17th Street






Circa 1889/1932 (Altered)
423 North 17th Street






418 North 17th Street






Circa 1890
Community of Christ Church
415 North 17th Street






318 North 17th Street






314-316 North 17th Street




1 2

316 North 17th Street






314 North 17th Street






312 North 17th Street






308 North 17th Street






306 North 17th Street






427 North 17th Street






1701-1703 FRANCIS STREET

This was originally Charles C. Archibald's heating and plumbing business at the 1701-1703 Francis street. It is currently an apartment house






Circa 1881
Joseph Hayward, Sr.
204 North 17th Street

The water permit for this property was listed in the name of Joseph Hayward, Sr., the Roadmaster for the Kanasas City, St Joseph and Council Bluffs Railroad, in 1881, the first year he was first listed at this address
The two story front porch was probably added in 1909 when a building pemit was taken out on the property. In spite of this large porch which obscures much of the front facade, the origbal profile render the building a strongly contributing member of a potential historic district in the William T. Harris area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings.






Circa 1963
Charles C. Archibald garage w/apartment
211 North 17th Street

This contemporary vernacular building would be an intrusion incompatible with the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings The structure was built by Charles C. Archibald, who had a heating and plumbing business at the neighboring 1701-1703 Francis street
This utilitarian concrete block structure is capped by a low hipped roof and has paired garage doors on the ground floor. There is an apartment on the second level which is approached by a stairway with landings on the south. The main entry on the south and the windows are rectilinear and finished by flush concrete lintels above.
The south and rear yards are enclosed by a wooden fence.






Circa 1895
Dr. George C. Potter
218 North 17th Street

The 1895 building permit for this residence was listed in the name of William Humphrey who dealt in real estate and did not live here. The 1895 water permit was in the name of Dr. George C. Potter who did live here.
Although this example of the late Queen Anne style has lost it's original full length front porch, it retains several stained glass transoms surface treatment and massing from this period and would contribute significantly to the establishment of an historic district in the William T. Harris neighborhood.
As characteristic of the Queen Anne style, this building has highly irregular massing. The steeply hipped roofs interrupted the east by a wide gable capping deeply a projecting square bay, on the north by a similar 2½ story and wide gable, and on the south by a tripartite two story bay with its own hipped roof. Transoms of the wider rectilinear windows on the first and second story have stained glass. The full length front porch has been removed. The front and south entries now have bracketed canopies
This lot slopes toward the north. A driveway runs along the south side of the building.






Circa 1895
August H. Uhlinger
220 North 17th Street

This house was constructed in 1895 for August H. Uhlinger who was in sales at the Louis Hax Furniture Company. The building permit listed the construction cost as $2,500. This well preserved example of the Queen Anne style would contribute significantly to the establishment of an historic district in the William T. Harris Neighborhood of quality 19th and early 20th Century residential architecture.
This lot slopes toward the north and is enclosed the by a picket fence on the east and on the other sides by chainlink fencing.




1 2

Circa 1895
John Baumann
224 North 17th Street

This house was constructed in 1895 for John Baumann, who was listed as "retired" in the City Directory. The construction cost listed on the building permit was $1,800. This well preserved example of the Queen Anne style, along with the coeval structures on this side of the street form a significant grouping that would contribute strongly to the establishment of historic district in the William T. Harris Neighborhood
This lot slopes dramatically north and west and is enclosed along the east and northeast by a 19th Century ornamental fence. The rest of the yard is lined with chainlink fencing.






1704 Jules Street

William A. Moseley, in the harness and saddlery business, was listed at this address only in the 1886 City Directory. The following year he moved one door east to 1710 Jule. Although Sheathed in siding, this Victorian cottage is compatible in period, proportion and use with the high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings found in the neighboring Harris Addition and would contribute to the establishment of an historic district in this area. This corner property is enclosed by chain link fencing. There is a driveway leading to an attached garage on the south side of the house.






1710 Jules Street

William A. Moseley, in the harness and saddlery business, was first listed at this address in 1887. Mr. Moseley lived the preceding year at 1704 Jule, one door west. Although the front porch has been remodeled, this Queen Anne cottage remains largely intact and would contribute to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings.






1712 Jules Street

William A. McAllister, a buyer at the Wyeth Hardware and Manufacturing Company, was first listed at this address in the 1881 City Directory. The profile of this house suggests a possibly high quality Queen Anne style building sheathed in siding obscuring architectural detailing and window treatment. As is the house is not architecturally distinguished however, the profile, period and use would contribute to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area of fine 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings. The property slopes west and is bounded on the east by an alley. In the rear, there is a two-car garage of wood frame with a hipped roof.






Circa 1922
E.A. Ettenson
1716 Jules Street

This bungalow style residence was built in 1922 by David Digan who resided at 220 N. 18th Street.
E.A. Ettenson, a solicitor for the Missouri State Life Insurance Company, was listed at this address in the 1924 City Directory. Though later in period than most of the buildings in the Harris Addition area, this house would contribute to the establishment of an historic district because of its compatible proportion and use.
This property slopes toward the west and is bounded on the west by an alley. In the rear of the building there is a one-ear garage with asphalt shingle siding and a shed roof.






Circa 1901
1717-1719 Jules Street

The 1901 building permit is in the name of Jacob Bauman, who was a retired investor residing behind this building at 308 North 18th street. This well intact duplex retains it's original profile and Classical Revival front porch which renders it a strongly contributing member of a possible historic district in the Harris Addition area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings. The building is sited on a low bank supported on the west by a concrete retaining wall. An alley runs along the west, beyond which is a concrete parking area for the neighboring church.






17th & FRANCIS STREET






17th & FRANCIS STREET




1 2

425 NORTH 17th STREET




1 2 3

17th & FRANCIS STREET



18th STREET AREA


18th STREET AREA





1816-1818 Faraon Street






1814 Faraon Street






Circa 1910
1813 Faraon Street

Two and one half story frame dwelling built with a 'Foursquare' plan. Built in 1910, Square plan with Pyramidal hip roof flared at the eaves, unususual polygono1 dormer on the facade with poygonal hipped roof, broad projected eave line. Chamfer shaped oriel above the porch, full porch on modern supports, modern siding, On the east elevation is a Chamfer shaped two story oriel






Circa 1905
1811 Faraon Street

Two and one half story frame dwelling built with a 'Foursquare' plan. Built in 1905. Rectangle shaped house with hipped roof and broad projected eaves. Broad facade dormer with chamfer shape beneath the eaves and covered with fishscale shingles. The first and last bays of the second story are treated as Chamfer shaped oriels beneath the eaves. Two story chamfer shaped bay on the east elevation. Full porch supported on squat round columns with Tuscan capitals and resting on brich piers. Squape spindled balustpade. Symmetrical three bay first story with centered entry with multi-lighted sidelights. Lap siding.






1810-1812 Faraon Street






Circa 1895
1805 Faraon Street

Single story frame dwelling built with late Queen Anne styling and shape. and built in 1895. Irregular plan with combination hip and gable roofline prominent gable wing at the facade with chamfer shape beneath the eaveline. Porch fills the reentrant angle supported on wood pylons and brick piers which are probably a later addition. A rear porch has turned post supports. Modern siding






1802 Faraon Street






Circa 1900
1801 Faraon Street

One and one holf story dwelling built with late Queen Anne style and shape Built in 1900. Irregular plan with combination hip and gable roofline., Prominent gale wing on the facade with chamfer shape beneath the eave and cornice. Original parches removed, modern siding with 1935 gable door hoods






221 North 18th Street






105 North 18th Street






1808 Francis Street






Circa 1955
Abandoned St Joseph Fire Station
103 North 18th Street

This abandoned fire station and practice tower has had a devastating effect on the surrounding area. The deterioration of the adjacent area has become so advanced that five houses across the street have been torn down. The fire station itself and the tower should be removed before it causes further blight.
This station was built in 1955 and replaced another "Hose House" constructed in 1890, it's cost listed at $7,000.
This corner property slopes south and has a drive along the north leading to an asphalt parking area on the east which is enclosed in chainlink.
Building Permit obtained in 1955, City of St. Joseph, for the new Fire Station,$77,522.






Circa 1922
David L. Digan
220 North 18th Street

This house was built in 1922 by David L. Digan, a bookkeeper who worked for James R. Hopkins
James R. Hopkins dealt in wholesale oriental imports located at 306 South 4th Street.
The same year, Mr. Digan had also built the Bungalow style house directly west at 1716 Jules street. Though later in period than most of the buildings in the Harris historic area, this house would contribute to the establishment of an historic district because of its compatible proportion and use.
This corner property slopes in the back toward the west. A concrete driveway runs along the south side of the property to a one-car garage of concrete block with a gabeled roof
The rear yard is enlcosed by a chainlink fence.






Circa 1876
Dr. Samuel A. Richmond, physician
306 North 18th Street

In 1876, Dr. Samuel A. Richmond, a prominent physician, was first person listed at this address. He later moved to another survey property at 209 North 18th street.
Dr. Richmond purchased both properties from Maggie Harris Chapman, the daughter of William Harris for whom the Harris Addition was named.
This formerly high quality Italianate building was been drastically altered, particularly in the treatment of the windows. However, the bracketed cornice line, lintels and massing remain which make restoration possible and render the building a contributing member of a possible Harris Addition historical district.




1 2

Circa 1868
1801 Jules Street

John J. Harris, son of William T. Harris for whom the Harris Addition was named, was listed at this address in the 1868 City Directory. The full length front porch with a ballustrade, Ionic columns and a bracketed cornice was added between 1897 and 1911 according to Sanborn Insurance maps of those years. Another resident was listed here in the 1881 City Directory, Rufus H. Jordan, who worked for the Wyeth Company. Later the property tranferred from the W.M.Wyeth Co. to James W. Walker, of Steele and Walker wholesale grocers. Mr. Walker made a major addition to the building in 1892. The cost listed on the building permit was $2,000. This landmark calibre building would contribute significantly to the establishment of a historic district in the Harris Addition.




1 2

Circa 1905
1809 Jules Street

This house was constructed in 1905 for George O. Gruandt, a clerk for the Wyeth Hardware and Manufacturing Company. This high quality early 20th Century Eclectic building, with its well proportioned Neo-Classic and Shingle Style features, would contribute substantially to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area. The house is sited on a low bank; supported by a low retaining wall on the south. There is a drive along the east side of the property to a two-ear garage of brick with a gabled roof and a shingle sheathed gable end.






1817-1819 Jules Street

On the northwest corner there is polypartite two-story deeply projecting bay. The 1886 water permit for this property was in the name of Vinton Pike, a commercial traveler (traveling salesman)for Furst and Company, a brewery. He was listed in the City Directory as living at 1817 Jule. Before the property tranfered to Mr. Pike in 1890, it was first owned by the W.M. Wyeth Co., then was transferred to Sizzie K. Garrett. George S. Garrett of the Ransone, Garrett and Brewster boot and shoe company was listed as living at 1819 Jule in the 1889 City Directory. Despite the removal of the entry porch shown on the 1897 Sanborn Map, the building is well intact and would contribute strongly to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area.






1821-1823 Jules Street

This duplex was symmetrically built in mirror image. The east and west facades are broken in the center by two-and-a half story tripartite bays capped by gabled dormers with Palladian windows. The front entries are paired in the middle bay accented by a hipped dormer, and flanked by wide rectilinear windows with leaded glass transoms on the first story and shallowly projecting tripartite bays on the second. The full front porch with a hipped roof is supported by brick piers surmounted by Ionio oapitals. The building permit of 1903 listed a oonstruction cost of $5,000, and was in the name of Gustave Schumacker, a well established grocer. Schumacker did not reside here, so the duplex was probably built as an investment. This turn-of-the-century duplex retains much of its neo-Classical detailing and would contribute strongly to the establiShment of an historic district in the Harris Addition. This corner property slopes dramatically toward the north. There is a driveway in the rear leading to a three-car framed garage with a flat roof and sheathed in asphalt.






Circa 1895
1805 Faraon Street

Single story frame dwelling built with late Queen Anne styling and shape. and built in 1895. Irregular plan with combination hip and gable roofline prominent gable wing at the facade with chamfer shape beneath the eaveline. Porch fills the reentrant angle supported on wood pylons and brick piers which are probably a later addition. A rear porch has turned post supports. Modern siding






1802 Faraon Street






Circa 1900
1801 Faraon Street

One and one holf story dwelling built with late Queen Anne style and shape Built in 1900. Irregular plan with combination hip and gable roofline., Prominent gale wing on the facade with chamfer shape beneath the eave and cornice. Original parches removed, modern siding with 1935 gable door hoods






221 North 18th Street






105 North 18th Street






1808 Francis Street






Circa 1922
1822 LOVERS LANE






Circa 1955
Abandoned St Joseph Fire Station
103 North 18th Street

This abandoned fire station and practice tower has had a devastating effect on the surrounding area. The deterioration of the adjacent area has become so advanced that five houses across the street have been torn down. The fire station itself and the tower should be removed before it causes further blight.
This station was built in 1955 and replaced another "Hose House" constructed in 1890, it's cost listed at $7,000.
This corner property slopes south and has a drive along the north leading to an asphalt parking area on the east which is enclosed in chainlink.
Building Permit obtained in 1955, City of St. Joseph, for the new Fire Station,$77,522.






Circa 1922
David L. Digan
220 North 18th Street

This house was built in 1922 by David L. Digan, a bookkeeper who worked for James R. Hopkins
James R. Hopkins dealt in wholesale oriental imports located at 306 South 4th Street.
The same year, Mr. Digan had also built the Bungalow style house directly west at 1716 Jules street. Though later in period than most of the buildings in the Harris historic area, this house would contribute to the establishment of an historic district because of its compatible proportion and use.
This corner property slopes in the back toward the west. A concrete driveway runs along the south side of the property to a one-car garage of concrete block with a gabeled roof
The rear yard is enlcosed by a chainlink fence.






Circa 1876
Dr. Samuel A. Richmond, physician
306 North 18th Street

In 1876, Dr. Samuel A. Richmond, a prominent physician, was first person listed at this address. He later moved to another survey property at 209 North 18th street.
Dr. Richmond purchased both properties from Maggie Harris Chapman, the daughter of William Harris for whom the Harris Addition was named.
This formerly high quality Italianate building was been drastically altered, particularly in the treatment of the windows. However, the bracketed cornice line, lintels and massing remain which make restoration possible and render the building a contributing member of a possible Harris Addition historical district.




1 2

Circa 1868
1801 Jules Street

John J. Harris, son of William T. Harris for whom the Harris Addition was named, was listed at this address in the 1868 City Directory. The full length front porch with a ballustrade, Ionic columns and a bracketed cornice was added between 1897 and 1911 according to Sanborn Insurance maps of those years. Another resident was listed here in the 1881 City Directory, Rufus H. Jordan, who worked for the Wyeth Company. Later the property tranferred from the W.M.Wyeth Co. to James W. Walker, of Steele and Walker wholesale grocers. Mr. Walker made a major addition to the building in 1892. The cost listed on the building permit was $2,000. This landmark calibre building would contribute significantly to the establishment of a historic district in the Harris Addition.




1 2

Circa 1905
1809 Jules Street

This house was constructed in 1905 for George O. Gruandt, a clerk for the Wyeth Hardware and Manufacturing Company. This high quality early 20th Century Eclectic building, with its well proportioned Neo-Classic and Shingle Style features, would contribute substantially to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area. The house is sited on a low bank; supported by a low retaining wall on the south. There is a drive along the east side of the property to a two-ear garage of brick with a gabled roof and a shingle sheathed gable end.






1817-1819 Jules Street

On the northwest corner there is polypartite two-story deeply projecting bay. The 1886 water permit for this property was in the name of Vinton Pike, a commercial traveler (traveling salesman)for Furst and Company, a brewery. He was listed in the City Directory as living at 1817 Jule. Before the property tranfered to Mr. Pike in 1890, it was first owned by the W.M. Wyeth Co., then was transferred to Sizzie K. Garrett. George S. Garrett of the Ransone, Garrett and Brewster boot and shoe company was listed as living at 1819 Jule in the 1889 City Directory. Despite the removal of the entry porch shown on the 1897 Sanborn Map, the building is well intact and would contribute strongly to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area.






1821-1823 Jules Street

This duplex was symmetrically built in mirror image. The east and west facades are broken in the center by two-and-a half story tripartite bays capped by gabled dormers with Palladian windows. The front entries are paired in the middle bay accented by a hipped dormer, and flanked by wide rectilinear windows with leaded glass transoms on the first story and shallowly projecting tripartite bays on the second. The full front porch with a hipped roof is supported by brick piers surmounted by Ionio oapitals. The building permit of 1903 listed a oonstruction cost of $5,000, and was in the name of Gustave Schumacker, a well established grocer. Schumacker did not reside here, so the duplex was probably built as an investment. This turn-of-the-century duplex retains much of its neo-Classical detailing and would contribute strongly to the establiShment of an historic district in the Harris Addition. This corner property slopes dramatically toward the north. There is a driveway in the rear leading to a three-car framed garage with a flat roof and sheathed in asphalt.



19th STREET AREA


19th STREET AREA





1910 Faraon Street






1908 Faraon Street






1906 Faraon Street






1904 Faraon Street






1902 Faraon Street






Circa 1908
George White House
1919 Union Street

One and one-half story, two-bay, frame side hall townhouse variant with Colonial Revival influence, built in 1908. Cross gable roof covered with asphalt shingles, with box cornice and frieze, gable end covered with fish scale shingles and has two 1/1 double-hung sashes. Exterior walls covered with weatherboard siding. Windows are I /1 double-hung sashes and a 1 /1 double-hung cottage window; and, a side polygonal hip roof bay. Full-width, hip roof porch supported by columns with Doric capitals raised on brick bases. Entrance has a single-light, multi-panel cottage door. Victorian Style, Single-Family Residences.






1901 Edmond Street






1914 Faraon Street






Circa 1936
Max Messenger
1905 Francis

This house was built in 1936 by Max Messenger, the Manager of Beaty's Grocery store which was builtin 1933, directly north on the site of the former Garfield School built in 1882 and razed in 1932. Dr. Clement C. Dumont made a major addition to the house in 1959 at building permit cost of $10,000




1 2

Circa 1898
contractor George D. Calhoon
1919 Francis

The 1898 building permit for this house is in the name of contractor George D. Calhoon, who did not live here. The building cost listed on the permit was $1,300. Although not architecturally outstanding in itself, this building is compatible in use, proportion and period and would contribute to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings.






Circa 1898
George Schneider
1921 Francis

This house was built in 1898 the year a building permit was taken out on this property in the name of George Schneider, Vice President of the German American Bank. The 1891 sanborn Insurance Map shows that the house was not built by that year.
This good example of the late Queen Anne style would contribute significantly to the establiShment of an historic district in the Harris Addition of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings.






Circa 1889
Louis C. Burnes
1923 Francis

This landmark oalibre building was constructed in 1889 as the residence of Louis C. Burnes, a prominent businessman and banker from a prestigious family famous in the state for banking and politics. In the 1889 City Directory, Mr. Burnes was listed as the Secretary of the St. Joseph Water Company; and in 1899 he was listed as the President of the National Bank of st. Joseph. Mr. Burnes also owned the house in 1910 when a large addition was made on the northwest corner in the rear at a cost of $1,500.






Circa 1928
Louisa Rogers
1928 Francis

The 1928 building permit for this property was in the name of Louisa Rogers, at a listed cost of $2,500. Louisa Rogers was the widow of Philip Rogers and worked as a secretary for Dr. Charles Geiger, who invested in real estate. The water permit for this building was in the name of Dr. Geiger Though later in period and style, this building would contribute to the establishment an historic district in the Harris Addition of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings, because of its compatible use and proportion.






Circa 1906
Henry W. Shorow Pharmacy & Apartment
1901-1903 Jules Street
Circa 1932
Lloyd A. Ransopher's drugs
1901 Jules
Circa 1932
Gorden Gladys Beauty Shop
1903 Jules
Bullock Family Chapel
1901-1903 Jules

Constructed in 1906, the building on the west has a flat roof with a corbelled parapet. Raised brick coursing is used to articulate the first and second stories. The windows are rectilinear. The metal framed storefront is mostly sheathed in contemporary siding. A one-story garage connects the two buildings. The later constructed eastern building also has a corbelled parapet. Corbelling is used as well between the first and second stories on the front facade. Round arched windows with radiating brick surrounds line the second story.
The western building block was constructed in 1906 to house the pharmacy and apartment of Henry W. Shorow. The eastern block was similarly built as a combination store and apartment by Mrs. A. Mack in 1908. According to the 1891 Sanborn Map, these two store- .... fronts were the first commercial structures in the area and were located across Jule Street from the Garfield School built in 1882 and razed in 1932. By 1932, the 2 businesses were Lloyd A. Ransopher's drugs & Gorden Gladys Beauty Shop
Although incompatible in massing and use, these buildings form a long-standing component of the neighborhood and have sympathetic architectural features which would contribute to the establishment an historic district in the Harris Addition area. This corner property slopes dramatically toward the north.






Circa 1933
Beaty Hy-Klas #39 Grocery Store
1906 Jules

The building permit for Beaty's Grocery store is in the name of Charles E. Beaty and is dated 1933. The permit also listed a construction cost of $5,000. Substantial additions were made in 1941 and 1955. This site was previously occupied by the Garfield School which was built in 1882 and razed in 1932.
Although this building is a commercial intrusion in the predominantly 19th and early 20th Century residential Harris Addition area, the height and building material this structure would be compatible with the establishment of an historic district in the area. The building is surrounded by parking areas on the north and east which stretch to the corners of Jule street at 19th and 20th streets.
The truck loading area is on the extreme eastern end of the front facade. Tom's Hy Klas Groceries resided in the building after Beaty closed






Circa 1940
Amos D. McPhail Chiropractor
1911 Jules

This building was constructed in 1940 at a listed permit cost of $3,000 by Amos D. McPhail as his chiropractor office. Although architecturally undistinguished in itself and much later in period than most buildings in the Harris Addition, this building is compatible in proportion and profile and would not detract from the establishment of an historic district in the area. This property slopes slightly toward the east. A brick sidewalk runs along the front.






Circa 1937
Jack M. Keefe
203 North 19th Street

This house was built for Jack M. Keefe, a salesman, in 1937; the price listed on the building permit was $1,400. Two years later, he built the house directly south at 1901 Francis and moved into this larger house. Although this house is not architecturally distinguished in itself, its proportion and use are compatible with the establiShment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area of high quality 19th and 20th Century residential buildings. This level lot has a driveway on the north side. The house is located behind the neighborhood grocery store.






206 North 19th Street






Circa 1881
George W. Sargent
102 South 19th Street

George W. Sargent, a clerk for R.L.McDonald Company, was first listed at this address in 1881, as was James W. Sargent to whom the property later transfered before the year 1897. In 1902, at a cost of $1,200, a large addition was made to the rear of the house and the original front entry porch was replaced by a curvilinear front porch stretching across the entire facade.
Although the full front porch has been removed and the segmentally arched window openings have been altered, the building retains its original profile and cornice treatment which render it a strongly contributing member of the proposed historic district in the Harris Addition.
The building is sited on a bank supported by a low retaining wall. This corner property is bounded on the west by an alley.




1 2

Circa 1898
James Morton
108 South 19th Street

This beautifully preserved and excellent example of the late Queen Anne style would contribute significantly to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition which has many high quality 19th and 20th Century residential buildings.
This house was bullt for the Morton family in 1898. The building permit was in the name of James Morton, however, he was not listed as residing here.
Marmaduke B. Morton, a cashier at the Bartlett Brothers Real Estate Company, was listed at this address for many years, along with Mrs. Hannah Morton, the widow of David Morton
This property slopes south and is supported there by a low concrete retaining wall. In the rear there is a two-car garage of brick with a low gabled roof. An alley runs along the west side




1 2

101 South 19th Street




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1890
J. W. McALISTER MANSION
105 North 19th Street
Circa 1906
A. J. AUGUST MANSION
105 North 19th Street
Circa 1941
ST JOSEPH MUSEUM
105 North 19th Street




1 2

119 NORTH 19th STREET






Circa 1908
George White House
1919 Union Street

One and one-half story, two-bay, frame side hall townhouse variant with Colonial Revival influence, built in 1908. Cross gable roof covered with asphalt shingles, with box cornice and frieze, gable end covered with fish scale shingles and has two 1/1 double-hung sashes. Exterior walls covered with weatherboard siding. Windows are I /1 double-hung sashes and a 1 /1 double-hung cottage window; and, a side polygonal hip roof bay. Full-width, hip roof porch supported by columns with Doric capitals raised on brick bases. Entrance has a single-light, multi-panel cottage door. Victorian Style, Single-Family Residences.






1901 Edmond Street






1914 Faraon Street






Circa 1936
Max Messenger
1905 Francis

This house was built in 1936 by Max Messenger, the Manager of Beaty's Grocery store which was builtin 1933, directly north on the site of the former Garfield School built in 1882 and razed in 1932. Dr. Clement C. Dumont made a major addition to the house in 1959 at building permit cost of $10,000




1 2

Circa 1898
contractor George D. Calhoon
1919 Francis

The 1898 building permit for this house is in the name of contractor George D. Calhoon, who did not live here. The building cost listed on the permit was $1,300. Although not architecturally outstanding in itself, this building is compatible in use, proportion and period and would contribute to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings.






Circa 1898
George Schneider
1921 Francis

This house was built in 1898 the year a building permit was taken out on this property in the name of George Schneider, Vice President of the German American Bank. The 1891 sanborn Insurance Map shows that the house was not built by that year.
This good example of the late Queen Anne style would contribute significantly to the establiShment of an historic district in the Harris Addition of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings.






Circa 1889
Louis C. Burnes
1923 Francis

This landmark oalibre building was constructed in 1889 as the residence of Louis C. Burnes, a prominent businessman and banker from a prestigious family famous in the state for banking and politics. In the 1889 City Directory, Mr. Burnes was listed as the Secretary of the St. Joseph Water Company; and in 1899 he was listed as the President of the National Bank of st. Joseph. Mr. Burnes also owned the house in 1910 when a large addition was made on the northwest corner in the rear at a cost of $1,500.






Circa 1928
Louisa Rogers
1928 Francis

The 1928 building permit for this property was in the name of Louisa Rogers, at a listed cost of $2,500. Louisa Rogers was the widow of Philip Rogers and worked as a secretary for Dr. Charles Geiger, who invested in real estate. The water permit for this building was in the name of Dr. Geiger Though later in period and style, this building would contribute to the establishment an historic district in the Harris Addition of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings, because of its compatible use and proportion.






Circa 1906
Henry W. Shorow Pharmacy & Apartment
1901-1903 Jules Street
Circa 1932
Lloyd A. Ransopher's drugs
1901 Jules
Circa 1932
Gorden Gladys Beauty Shop
1903 Jules
Bullock Family Chapel
1901-1903 Jules

Constructed in 1906, the building on the west has a flat roof with a corbelled parapet. Raised brick coursing is used to articulate the first and second stories. The windows are rectilinear. The metal framed storefront is mostly sheathed in contemporary siding. A one-story garage connects the two buildings. The later constructed eastern building also has a corbelled parapet. Corbelling is used as well between the first and second stories on the front facade. Round arched windows with radiating brick surrounds line the second story.
The western building block was constructed in 1906 to house the pharmacy and apartment of Henry W. Shorow. The eastern block was similarly built as a combination store and apartment by Mrs. A. Mack in 1908. According to the 1891 Sanborn Map, these two store- .... fronts were the first commercial structures in the area and were located across Jule Street from the Garfield School built in 1882 and razed in 1932. By 1932, the 2 businesses were Lloyd A. Ransopher's drugs & Gorden Gladys Beauty Shop
Although incompatible in massing and use, these buildings form a long-standing component of the neighborhood and have sympathetic architectural features which would contribute to the establishment an historic district in the Harris Addition area. This corner property slopes dramatically toward the north.






Circa 1933
Beaty Hy-Klas #39 Grocery Store
1906 Jules

The building permit for Beaty's Grocery store is in the name of Charles E. Beaty and is dated 1933. The permit also listed a construction cost of $5,000. Substantial additions were made in 1941 and 1955. This site was previously occupied by the Garfield School which was built in 1882 and razed in 1932.
Although this building is a commercial intrusion in the predominantly 19th and early 20th Century residential Harris Addition area, the height and building material this structure would be compatible with the establishment of an historic district in the area. The building is surrounded by parking areas on the north and east which stretch to the corners of Jule street at 19th and 20th streets.
The truck loading area is on the extreme eastern end of the front facade. Tom's Hy Klas Groceries resided in the building after Beaty closed






Circa 1940
Amos D. McPhail Chiropractor
1911 Jules

This building was constructed in 1940 at a listed permit cost of $3,000 by Amos D. McPhail as his chiropractor office. Although architecturally undistinguished in itself and much later in period than most buildings in the Harris Addition, this building is compatible in proportion and profile and would not detract from the establishment of an historic district in the area. This property slopes slightly toward the east. A brick sidewalk runs along the front.






Circa 1937
Jack M. Keefe
203 North 19th Street

This house was built for Jack M. Keefe, a salesman, in 1937; the price listed on the building permit was $1,400. Two years later, he built the house directly south at 1901 Francis and moved into this larger house. Although this house is not architecturally distinguished in itself, its proportion and use are compatible with the establiShment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area of high quality 19th and 20th Century residential buildings. This level lot has a driveway on the north side. The house is located behind the neighborhood grocery store.






206 North 19th Street






Circa 1881
George W. Sargent
102 South 19th Street

George W. Sargent, a clerk for R.L.McDonald Company, was first listed at this address in 1881, as was James W. Sargent to whom the property later transfered before the year 1897. In 1902, at a cost of $1,200, a large addition was made to the rear of the house and the original front entry porch was replaced by a curvilinear front porch stretching across the entire facade.
Although the full front porch has been removed and the segmentally arched window openings have been altered, the building retains its original profile and cornice treatment which render it a strongly contributing member of the proposed historic district in the Harris Addition.
The building is sited on a bank supported by a low retaining wall. This corner property is bounded on the west by an alley.




1 2

Circa 1898
James Morton
108 South 19th Street

This beautifully preserved and excellent example of the late Queen Anne style would contribute significantly to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition which has many high quality 19th and 20th Century residential buildings.
This house was bullt for the Morton family in 1898. The building permit was in the name of James Morton, however, he was not listed as residing here.
Marmaduke B. Morton, a cashier at the Bartlett Brothers Real Estate Company, was listed at this address for many years, along with Mrs. Hannah Morton, the widow of David Morton
This property slopes south and is supported there by a low concrete retaining wall. In the rear there is a two-car garage of brick with a low gabled roof. An alley runs along the west side




1 2

101 South 19th Street




1 2 3 4

Circa 1890
J. W. McALISTER MANSION
105 North 19th Street
Circa 1906
A. J. AUGUST MANSION
105 North 19th Street
Circa 1941
ST JOSEPH MUSEUM
105 North 19th Street




1 2

119 NORTH 19th STREET



20th STREET AREA





102 South 20th Street







124 South 20th Street







1715 South 20th Street







Circa 1904
Dr. Frederick P. Cronkite
2015 Francis

This house was built in 1904 for Dr. Frederick P. Cronkite, a dentist and grandfather of Walter Cronkite, the nationally reknown television commentator. This high quality early 20th Century house is well preserved and would contribute strongly to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area






2019 Francis

James Lundon, a harnessmaker, was first listed at this address in 1884, when he was employed by the Wyeth Hardware and Manufacturing Company. By the turn-of-the-century. Mr. Lundon had his own sadderly and harness shop. Though architecturally undistinguished in itself, this Victorian cottage has compatible building materials, propostion, and use, and would contribute to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition which has many high quality 19th and 20th Century residential buildings.






2021-2023 Francis

The core of this building was constructed in 1889 for Julia Morris, a dressmaker. Charles E. Gill, of Gill's Livery, acquired this property in 1901. Mr. Gill made a substantial addition to the house in 1903 and added the monumental porch in 1916. This distinctive Eclectic building with its monumental front porch would contribute strongly to the establishment of an historic District in the Harris Addition area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings. This corner property slopes west and is supported by a concrete retaining wall on the south and east. There is a two-car framed garage on the basement level on the east






Circa 1953
Prudential Insurance Company of America
2001 Jules

This office building was constructed in 1953 at a cost listed on the building permit of $20,000. The Prudential Insurance Company of America had an office here in 1955. This building would be an intrusion in an historic district established in this area of the Harris Addition whioh contains many high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings.






Circa 1911
DUPLEX
2015 Jules

This building was built in 1911 by Samuel Hassenbusch who did not reside here. Mr. Hassenbusch built the two buildings to the east (2017 and 2019 Jule) the following year. This high quality early Twentieth Century building is well intact and would contribute strongly to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area.
The two front entries of the duplex are emphasized by round arched canopies echoing the blind fanlights above each entry. The entries are located on the far ends of a two-story front porch constructed of brick and ballustraded. The lintels are segmentally arched and formed by flush radiating headers. There is a stretcher coursing on the second story. The hipped roof is underscored by brackets and broken by a hipped dormer on tha south and a wide gable on the west.
An alley runs along the west of the property.






Circa 1901
David Atkinson
2016 Jules

This house was built in 1901 as the residence of David Atkinson who was listed as "retired" in the contemporary City Directory. This late Queen Anne building has been diminished by the application of wooden and artificial siding, however, it retains its original Queen Anne profile, fanlights and projecting bay which render it a contributing member of the proposed Harris Addition historic district.
There is a driveway along the west side of the property. The rear yard is enclosed in chain link. The building is sited on a low bank.






Circa 1912
2017 Jules

This building was built in 1912 by Samuel Hassenbusch who did not reside here. Mr. Hassenbusch built the buildings on either side of this one, 2015 Jule in 1911 and 2019 Jule in 1912. This high quality early Twentieth Century building is well intact and could contribute strongly to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area.
The hipped roof is broken by hipped dormers, facing west and south and a shed dormer facing east. The front entry is flanked by sidelights and sheltered by a two-story entry porch on a brick base with brick piers supporting an enclosed frame room on the second story. The windows are rectilinear. On the front facade lintels are formed by raised brick. Raised brick was used also for string coursing that runs along the top of the second story.
This building is sited on a high bank.






Circa 1912
2019 Jules

This building was built in 1912 by Samuel Hassenbusch who did not reside here.
Samuel Hassenbusch built the two buildings to the west in 1911(2015 Jule)and 1912(2017 Jule)
This high quality early Twentieth Century building is well intact and would contribute strongly to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area.
This corner property slopes south and has a high bank; on which the building is sited. In the rear there is a four-car brick garage.






Circa 1898
Richard H. Kessler
2020 Jules

This Queen Anne cottage was built in 1898 for Richard H. Kessler as his residence. Mr. Kessler was a buyer for the Tootle-Weakley Millinery Company. This house retains its original Queen Anne profile, however, the front porch and siding have been altered reducing it's original architectural integrity.
The property slopes toward the east and has a low bank on which the house is sited.






Circa 1897
Arthur W. Brewster, Attorney
2022 Jules

This house was built in 1891 by the contractor Thomas E. Swearengen. Mr. Swearengen also built a twin house at 2024 Jule the same year. Arthur W. Brewster, an attorney, was listed at this address in the 1899 City Directory.
This well intact, Queen Anne style house, would be a strongly contributing member of the proposed Harris Addition historic district. The house retains a handsome stained glass transom over the first story window on the front facade.
The front facade is dominated by a deeply projecting two-and-a-half story square bay crowned by a wide gable end. The gable end is sheathed in scalloped wooden shingles as is a band stretching across the bay between the first and second stories.
The clapboard facade is further enlivened by frame trim defining the facade and a fascia running along the roof line. The main entry ia recessed in the eastern part of the front facade and is sheltered under a hipped porch with an altered grille support.
There is a dlamond shaped entry window on the east
The property s1opes slightly toward the east.






Circa 1897
James Lundon
2024 Jules

This house was built in 1897 by the contractor Thomas E. Swearengen. Mr. Swearengen also built the near twin house at 2022 the same year.
The water permit was in the name of James Lundon the year the house was built. However, in the 1899 City Directory, only Johanna "widow", Katie and Mollie were listed as living at this address; James' name was not mentioned (he possibly died?)
Severe alterations lessen the architectural significance of this Queen Anne house, although it retains it's original profile and use and would contribute to the establishment of an historic district in this area.
This corner property slopes slightly toward the east and has a two-car, concrete block garage with a gabled roof.






Circa 1957
contractor Calvin B. Arn
102-104 North 20th Street

This vernacular duplex was constructed in 1957 by contractor Calvin B. Arn
The cost listed on the building permit was $13,000. Though incompatible in period and style, this building is compatible in building material and use, and would contribute to the establiShment of an historic district in the Harris Addition which has many high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings
This corner property has a high bank on which the building is sited. There is a driveway along the west side of the lots.
The two residential units of this duplex is differentiated by the section on the north being setback. The low hipped roof has wide soffits. The rectilinear windows and entries reach the soffits. The window sills are formed by two header rows, the top of which is raised. The fenestration is varied on all facades; some windows are paired, others are smaller than the majority.






Circa 1880
Lou L. Johnson
203 North 20th Street

The 1887 Water Permit for this property is in the name of Lou L. Johnson, whose family resided here as early as 1880. The core predates this year. The present aspect of this, however, was achieved in the early part of the 20th Century. According to the Sanborn Maps of 1897 and 1911, the front porch was added between those years.
Major additions were made to the north, east and south sections of the house after 1911. There is a 1912 building permit in the name of the Wyeth Realty Co. and at a cost of $1,600
There is another building permit in 1916, in the name of Forest Campbell, a relative of the Wyeth family at a cost of $900. All the buildings on this block of North 20th Street were residences of people associated with the Wyeth Company
This corner property is supported on the southeast by a high concrete retaining wall. There is a driveway on the northeast. The rear yard is enclosed by chainlink






Circa 1913
Ralph M. Johnson
214 North 20th Street

This building was constructed in 1913 as the residence of Ralph M. Johnson, Department Manager of the Wyeth Hardware and Manufacturing Company.
He was not a relative of George M. Johnson, who later was General Manager of the Wyeth Company and who lived across the street.
The cost listed on the Building Permit was $3,200. All of the buildings on this block of North 20th Street were residences of people associated with the Wyeth Company during the early part of the 20th Century
This level lot is located next to a large grocery store and corner parking lot to the north and west.






Circa 1903
James A. Warner
215 North 20th Street

This building was constructed as the residence of James A. Warner, Secretary of the Wyeth Hardware and Manufacturing Company.
The cost listed on the Building Permit was $4,000. All of the buildings on this block of North 20th Street were residences of people connected with the Wyeth Company during the early part of the 20th Century
There is a low ashlar wall on the west and a two-car frame garage with steep hipped roof in the rear.






Circa 1903
George M. Johnson
219 North 20th Street

This building was constructed in 1903 as the residence of George M. Johnson, Vice President (and later General Manager) of the Wyeth Hardware and Manufacturing Company
The cost listed on the Building Permit was $5,000. All of the buildings on this block of North 20th Street were residences of people associated with the Wyeth Company during the early part of the 20th Century.
This corner property is supported by a low rock-faced stone retaining wall. In the rear there is a two-car garage of buff brick with a low gabled roof
The steeply pitched hipped roof is broken on the north, east and south by hipped dormers and on the west by a hipped wall dormer supported by brick piers on either end of a two-story tripartite bay. On the south there is a one-story frame oriel on brackets and on the north there is a two-story brick tripartite bay. The corners of the first story are finished by raised brick quoining. The windows are rectilinear and framed by raised brick label lintelsand surrounds






SOUTH 20th between MITCHELL & DUNCAN






SOUTH 20th between MITCHELL & DUNCAN




1 2 3

319 NORTH 20th STREET






20th & PACIFIC






20th & FARAON STREET






AUNT JEMIMA MANSION AT 20th & FARAON STREET






DOUGLAS DIEDRICK
1022 NORTH 20th STREET



21st STREET AREA





Carriage House
2101 Faraon Street
Carriage House
2117 Faraon Street







419 North 21st Street







2101 Mulberry Street







2117 Faraon Street





1 2

430 North 21st Street







2117 Faraon Street







2102 Faraon Street







Circa 1895
Dr John French
211 North 21st Street

In 1895, this house was built for Dr John French as his residence
The building permit displayed the cost of $1200
His office was located elsewhere on South 8th Street
Despite alteration of the entry porches, the Queen Anne window treatment and gable end are intact and would contribute strongly to the establishment of an historic district in the Harris Addition area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings
The level yard is enclosed in chainlink fencing. On the south is a gravel parking lot on the corner.






Circa 1903
Charles E. Gill
212 North 21st Street

The water permit for this property was taken out in 1903 by Charles E. Gill, of Gill's Livery, who lived to the south at 2015 Francis.
There was a small structure on this site as early as 1897, according to the Sanborn Insurance of that year.
However, by 1911, as shown on the Sanborn Map of that year, this earlier structure had been replaced by this large one, re-enforcing 1903 as the date of construction.
Although the original surface treatment has been sheathed in siding, many of the architectural details and profile lines remain, rendering this building as a strongly contributing member of a potential historic district in the Harris Addition area.
The building is positioned close to the street and is lined on the north by a drive.






Circa 1895
Westminster Society Presbyterian Church
2101-2105 Jules

This landmark calibre building houses the congregation of the Westminster Presbyterian Church for which it was built in 1895. The church was designed by Walter Boschen, who also designed many other prominent buildings in Saint Joseph.
This corner property slopes towards the south. On the east side of the Church, there is a grassy corner lot.






Circa 1922
Richard D. Denicke
219 North 21st Street

This house was built in 1922 by Richard D. Denicke, who built and owned the neighboring grocery store at 2100 Jule. The store was constructed in 1910 and currently occupied by Business Machines
Although later in period and style, this building is compatible in use and proportion with the surrounding historic area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century residential buildings and would contribute to the establishment of an historic district.
This corner property has a level yard on the north and a wire fence enclosed yard on the south.






2120 Faraon Street





1 2

Circa 1910
Richard Denicke Grocery
2110 Jules
Circa 1980
Business Machines & Equipment
2110 Jules

This building was constructed in 1910 to house the grocery story of Richard D. Denicke. The cost listed on the building permit was $3,000. Mr. Denicke later built his house on contiguous property at 219 North 21st Street in 1922.
The front facade is constructed of buff brick laid in bond. The flat roof has a front parapet lined by a bracketed, boxed cornice underscored by dentiling. The front entry is centered in the plateglass storefront and set in a deep reveal of diagonally placed plateglass. The lateral walls are laid in common bond red brick. The flush lintels are formed by flush rows of headers. The windows on the sides are segmentally arched; those in the rear are rectilinear.






21st & MULBERRY STREET




1 2 3 4 5 6

NORTHEAST CORNER 21st & FARAON STREET



22nd STREET AREA



1 2

Dr. W. L. Whittingon House & Sanitarium
2222 Sacramento Street




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1908
John Sublett Logan House
1906 North 22nd Street

The Logan House, located at 1906 North 22nd St., Saint Joseph, Buchanan County, Missouri, that remains largely intact. As no major alterations of the residence have occurred, the Logan House retains its integrity of location, design, setting, materials, and workmanship. It is surrounded by an intact historic residential neighborhood of mainly early twentieth century buildings. The Logan House has not been adversely affected by commercial or other development.
The Logan House is a two-story wood frame structure with an asphalt roof. The roof is hipped with a front gable on the southern side of the main faqade. The eaves are approximately 15" deep and are covered in beaded board and follow the angle of the rafters to where they join the house. There is cypress lap-siding on the bottom two-thirds of the house, and cypress shingles on the top one-third. Except where noted, all windows are one-over-one double-hung wood sash and have plain wood lintels, sills, and 6" surrounds. The lintels are topped by a simple drip-cap. The Logan House rests on a hard brick foundation.








102 South 22nd Street






423 North 22nd Street




1 2 3 4 5 6

NORTHWEST CORNER 22nd & FARAON STREET




1

SOUTHEAST CORNER 22nd & FARAON STREET






1524 SOUTH 22nd STREET



23rd STREET AREA





2303 UNION STREET



24th STREET AREA






Circa 1900
ROBERT ABERCROMBIE
MARBLE & CUT STONE COMPANY
2401 Jules Street
(Company:801 South 8th Street)

Robert Monroe Abercrombie born January 4, 1856, died January 27, 1936
This a photo of Abercrombie and his home




1 2 3 4

Circa 1870/1907/1914 (Altered)
McIntyre-Burri House
808 North 24th Street

The Mclntyre-Burri House is located at 808 North 24th Street. The Mclntyre-Burri House is a representative example of the Late Victorian Style, Single Family Residence property type in St. Joseph. The Mclntyre-Burri House is a two-story, masonry, early Italianate style house. The building form is a modified rectangular plan with four bays. It has a low pitch cross-gabled roof with narrow plain soffits and a plain six-inch fascia. There is a full-width front porch around the south side of the main facade. The walls and foundation are of red soft brick. The two-over-two double hung segmentally arched windows have wood sills and brick lintels. Since its completion ca. 1870, the Mclntyre-Burri House has experienced very few exterior alterations. One major alteration is an early 20th-century porch. The other, a rear addition added in 1907
Patrick Mclntyre was born in County Linford, Ireland on May 15,1833. He immigrated to the U.S. in 1849 during the potato famine, first living in Cold Spring, New York where he learned the grading business. He practiced that trade when he moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1854. While in Grand Rapids, he met and married Catherine Shaughnesey. They remained in Grand Rapids until 1863, when they moved to Saint Joseph.
The Charles F. Burri family purchased 808 N. 24th in 1898 from Mr. O'Brien. Mr. Burri was a letter carrier for the post office. He took out a building permit in 1907 for $1000 work on his residence. It is believed this is when the house was converted into a duplex. He lived in the house with his family until his death on June 7,1922. He left the house to his two children, Marie and Fred, both of whom continued to live in the house. The Burri family retained ownership of 808 N. 24th until 1995.






Dr Keener's House
and Chiropractor Office
2401 Jules Street







705 North 24th Street







805 North 24th Street







SOUTHEAST CORNER OF 24th & UNION






2410 JACKSON



25th STREET AREA





808 North 25th Street







630 North 25th Street







1305 North 25th Street







25th & Jules Street





1 2

802 North 25th Street







25th & Jules Street





1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1911
Jacob Geiger Mansion
2501 Frederick Avenue

This was originally the Dr. Jacob Geiger Mansion
United Missouri Bank purchased the property and turned it into a bank
In 2011, United Missouri Bank gave the building to the city of St Joseph
The city had planned on turning the building into a fire station but later decided not to do so
Photo #8 is a overview of Dr Geiger's life






25th & JACKSON






DAVID FELTENSTEIN HOME
NORTH 25th STREET



26th STREET AREA





2610 PARALLEL






2634 JULE STREET






JANE WYMAN'S BIRTHPLACE
1209 North 26th Street



27th STREET AREA





2702 Delaware Street






2703 Olive Street



28th STREET AREA





2820 Frederick Avenue



29th STREET AREA





2902 Lovers Lane






29th & FREDERICK AVENUE






29th & FREDERICK AVENUE




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1883
MILLER-PORTER-LACY MANSION
2912 FREDERICK AVENUE

The Lacy House is a red brick residence featuring eighteen rooms and eight baths located in St. Joseph, Missouri. The house and its accompanying carriage house are situated on five acres of the original Logan farm. The main house faces north and is set back 300' from Frederick Boulevard in an area of large residences. The building measures approximately 67' from cast to west and 50' from north to south, excluding bays and porches, with a 30' by 15' extension at its northwest corner.
The main house was constructed in three phases. The original northwest Italianate ell was constructed by the Miller family in 1883, and the Porter family probably added an identical ell opposite the original when they purchased the house a few years later, giving the northwest corner of the house its rectangular shape. This portion of the house is provided with a crawl space under the original building and a full basement under the ell built by the Porters. The eastern part of the house was constructed by the Lacy family after they acquired it in 1902




30th STREET AREA



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

HUSTON WYETH MANSION
& GATEKEEPER'S HOUSE
30-34th & FREDERICK AVENUE






DR JOHN BRYNE
3002 FREDERICK AVENUE






ARTHUR BURROWS HOME
30th & MITCHELL AVENUE






3042 MITCHELL AVENUE



31st STREET AREA





319 South 31st Street



32nd STREET AREA


33rd STREET AREA





3323 Mitchell Avenue




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu