Search Engine for St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind



Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo




THE RISE AND FALL OF THE STREETCAR





1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Circa 1903
ST JOSEPH LIGHT & POWER CAR BARNS
GARAGE FOR STREETCARS, TROLLEYS, TROLLEY-COACHES & BUSES
Highland & St Joseph Avenue

In 1903 the car barns were constructed at Highland Avenue & St Joseph Avenue
Referred to by many names, I always called it the Car Barns
The car barns were located at Highland & St Joseph Avenue in North St Joseph
Since 1903, St Joseph Light & Power had parked and housed their trolley-coaches(buses), trolleys, streetcars, livestock and other vehicles in this structure
After sitting empty for many years, the structure was finally sold and torn down
A new Burger King now occupies the location

Photo #1 - Turn of the century
Photo #2 - Turn of the century
Photo #3 - Electric rubber tire streetcars
Photo #4 - Inside view of the car barns
Photo #5 - Outside view with gas buses
Photo #6 - Inside view with modern gas bus
Photo #7 - Color photo prior to being torn down
Photo #8 - Car barns streetcar staff
Photo #9 - 1936 St Joseph News-Press ad
Photo #10 - Color photo of the car barns
Photo #11 - 2013 photo of the Burger King
Photo #12 - Inside view
Photo #13 - Trolley-Coaches
Photo #14 - Turn of the century boxing matches
Photo #15 - Early 1900's car barns
Photo #16 - Early 1900's car barns
Photo #17 - Mechanic's pit
Photo #18 - Side and rear view
Photo #19 - Empty car barn
Photo #20 - Color photo of the car barn
Photo #21 - Circa 1936 7 Mack CW buses
Photo #22 - Large photo of the car barns
Photo #23 - Electric rubber tired trolleys
Photo #24 - Trolley Mechanics and crews

Photo #22 submitted by Michael Miller




HORSE OR MULE PULLED HORSE CARS with Steel Wheels using rails



1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1866
HORSE OR MULE PULLED HORSE CARS

Prior to the Horse Car, horses or mules pulled an omnibus
An omnibus was a large, enclosed horse-drawn vehicle used for passenger transport
The omnibus was pulled over dirt or cobblestone streets
Photo #1 contains an example of an omnibus
A Horse Car is a horse or mule drawn transit vehicle which runs on rails
In 1866, Citizens Railway Company introduced Horse Cars in St Joseph
Photo #1 contains 2 examples of a horse car
By 1880, there were 6 different horse car lines in St Joseph
The Horse Car bell, pictured above, was worn on the horse's harness
People's St. Railway & Electric Light & Power Company was one of them
It's office was at the Power House at the foot of Edmond
Wherever the foot of Edmond was at that time is a good guess
Even though many sources say the first electrical streetcar in St Joseph was in 1887, photo #4 is a 1880 advertisement for People's St. Railway's electric streetcar
I am wondering why there is a 7 year difference?
A streetcar is an electrically driven public transport vehicle that runs on rails
The power is usually being taken from an overhead wire
In 1890, the only Missouri cities that had streetcars were St Joseph and Kansas City
By 1893, People's St. Railway's office was located at 511 Francis

Photo #1 Circa 1860 - A bob-tailed car, a standard car, and an omnibus
Photo #2 Cicra 1866 - Union Railway horse pulled streetcar
Photo #3 Circa 1886 - Advertisement for horse cars and streetcars
Photo #4 Circa 1880 - St Joseph Gazette advertisement of People's St. Railway
Photo #5 Circa 1886 - Horse Car bell, Frederick Avenue trolley line
Photo #5 submitted by Doug Cummins of Independence, MO





November 17, 1885
St Joseph Railway Light & Power

On Nov 17, 1885, St Joseph Railway Light & Power Company (SJRL&P) was created
In 1895, St Joseph Railway Light & Power Company was incorporated
The St Joseph Railway Light & Power Company's office was located at 511 Francis
By 1895, the SJRL&P had 40 miles of track and 150 cars
It also now owned 250 acres at Lake Contrary
It also had coal rights on 1000 acres of land

St Joseph Railway Light & Power acquired the 6 streetcar lines below
1 - People's St. Railway & Electric Light & Power Company
2 - St Joseph Traction and Lighting
3 - Citizens Railway Company
4 - Union Railway Company
5 - St Joseph & Lake Railway Company
6 - Wyatt Park Railway Company




ELECTRIC POWERED STREETCARS with Steel Wheels



1 2

Circa 1888
ST JOSEPH'S 1st ELECTRIC STREETCARS
The City Hall Line

The first electric streetcars ran on steel rails
St Joseph was among the first cities in the United States to successfully operate an electric streetcar system
By the end of 1889, St Joseph had 34.5 miles of electric street railway
At the same time, New York City was said to only have 18.5 miles and St Louis only 5.5 miles of electric railway
In 1888, St Joseph converted a horse drawn horse car to run on electricity
The horse drawn horse car line that ran north of City Hall was the first streetcar line to be electrified
These photos are the first streetcars that were converted to run on electricity as the motive power
In photo #2, the car was manned by motorman William Cook on the left and conductor Caspor Carlson on the right






Circa 1888
THE UNION LINE ELECTRIC RAILWAY

1888 St Joseph News-Press newspaper ad for the Union Line Electric Railway






Circa 1889
SPRAGUE ELECTRIC RAILWAY
WYATT PARK STREETCAR

This was the Wyatt Park streetcar in 1889
Not very many buildings were present in those days




1 2 3

Circa 1896
KRUG PARK, STOCK YARDS AND
LAKE CONTRARY STREETCAR

Photo #1 - 1896 streetcar to Krug Park, Stockyards & Lake Contrary
Photo #2 - 1918 streetcar to Krug Park, Stockyards & Lake Contrary
Photo #3 - Unknown year, streetcar to Krug Park, Stockyards & Lake Contrary






EARLY STREETCAR CONDUCTORS
Unknown Date





Old Streetcar Transfer

Circa 1898
EARLY ST JOSEPH STREETCAR

Photo circa: approximately 1898
This is one of the early electric powered streetcars
This streetcar covered South 11th Street and South Park






Circa 1900
ST JOSEPH STREETCAR

Photo - 1900 photo of streetcar in downtown St Joseph




1 2

Circa 1904
STREETCAR LITERATURE

Photo #1 - streetcar Directory when there were only 9 streetcar lines
Photo #2 - St Joseph Railway, Light, Heat & Power Company streetcar advertisement







Circa 1906
UNION DEPOT - KRUG PARK STREETCAR
ON ST JOSEPH AVENUE

1906 photo of #142 Union Depot streetcar on St Joseph Avenue
Note the advertising for the Band at Krug Park Bowl




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Circa 1910-1920
ST JOSEPH STREETCARS

For many years, you could find traces of the streetcar rails
In cold or bad weather windows were added to protect passengers from weather
Note the cow catcher on the front in case a pedestrian walks in front of the streetcar

Photo #1 - streetcar #70 was on the Wyatt Park line in 1910
Photo #2 - streetcar #94 was on the Union Depot Line
Photo #3 - streetcar #171 was on the Union Depot Line
Photo #4 - Two streetcars,#174 & #172 on St Joseph Avenue
Photo #5 - streetcar #64 on St Joseph Avenue
Photo #6 - Streetcar #321
Photo #7 - Streetcar #78
Photo #8 - Streetcar #64 on St Joseph Avenue
Photo #9 - Streetcar #74






Circa 1910-1920
UNION DEPOT, STOCKYARDS
AND LAKE CONTRARY STREETCAR

The destination signs reads:
UNION DEPOT - STOCKYARDS - LAKE CONTRARY




Old Streetcar

KRUG PARK, STOCKYARDS, LAKE CONTRARY STREETCAR AT CAR BARNS

Old streetcar at the car barns is waiting to leave




Interurban1 Interurban2 Interurban3 Interurban4 Interurban5 Interurban6 Interurban7 Interurban8
Interurban9 Interurban10 Interurban11 Interurban12 Interurban13 Interurban14 Interurban15 Interurban16
17 18 Interurban19 Interurban20 Interurban21

Circa Early 1900's
KANSAS CITY, CLAY COUNTY
& ST JOSEPH RAILWAY INTERURBAN
Circa 1910
ST JOSEPH & SAVANNAH
INTERURBAN RAILWAY

The interurban was a light rail system in which single cars traveled powered by an overhead electric wire

From the early 1900's until 1933, the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Railway was an electrified interurban railway that ran between Kansas City and St. Joseph

It was the longest of the various interurbans serving Kansas City running nearly 60 miles and extended another 10 miles to Savannah, Missouri

The interurban ran hourly. Fare was $1.55 and it took nearly two hours from downtown St Joseph to downtown Kansas City

One line went from Kansas City to St. Joseph and Savannah, another line went from Kansas City to Excelsior Springs

For 20 years, the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Railway (KCCC & STJ) also known as the Interurban traveled between Savannah, St Joseph, Dearborn, Kansas City and Excelsior Springs until March 10, 1933

The Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Railway, once valued at over $5 million dollars, was auctioned off on August 21, 1934 for $155,600

The St. Joseph and Savannah Interurban Railway was a 13-mile interurban electric railway that ran between St. Joseph, Missouri and Savannah, Missouri from 1910 to 1939

It was operated by the St. Joseph Railway, Light, Heat and Power Company, which operated the streetcar system in St. Joseph

It began, on July 5, 1910 to compete with the Chicago Great Western Railroad

It consisted of three wooden cars and headed north on the streetcar line down St. Joseph Avenue and terminated four blocks west of the square in Savannah

The line connected to the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Railway


Photo #1 - St Joseph - Savannah Interurban on trestle
Photo #2 - Kansas City, Excelsior Springs, St Joseph Interurban
Photo #3 - Dick Johnson, St Joseph- Savannah
Photo #4 - St Joseph-Savannah Interurban crews
Photo #5 - St Joseph - Savannah Interurban just outside of Savannah, MO
Photo #6 - Map showing path of the Interurban
Photo #7 - Interurban car turned into a diner
Photo #8 - Interurban trestle near Dearborn
Photo #9 - Kansas City - St Joseph Interurban
Photo #10 - Kansas City - Dearborn - St Joseph Interurban
Photo #11 - Interurban bridge crossing the Southwest Parkway
Photo #12 - Arrival of the 1st Interurban car on April 29, 1913
Photo #13 - St Joseph-Savannah Interurban 1911-1939
Photo #14 - A junked interurban car
Photo #15 - Kansas City-St Joseph Interurban car
Photo #16 - Interurban stop - unknown location or year
Photo #17 - Current photo of the Interurban station in Savannah Missouri
Photo #18 - St Joseph & Savannah Interurban Roundtrip Pass
Photo #19 - St Joseph & Savannah Interurban car #3 by St Joseph Car Barns
Photo #20 - 1932 Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Railway Pass (front) Photo #21 - 1932 Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Railway Pass (back)
Photo #1 submitted by Wheeler Schmidt






Circa 1917
INTERURBAN FLAT CAR





1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa: 1913-1916
ST JOSEPH PROCELAIN LICENSE PLATES

In 1913 license plates were made of wood and covered with porcelain
Dealer plates were also issued as well
St Joseph switched to smaller porcelain plates in 1915 and 1916
There is one very odd St. Joseph plate known from 1915
It is manufactured in exactly the same format as the passenger plates and gives every indication of being an official city issue, but it begins with an "L" prefix. There is no precedent in the history of Missouri city plates to explain this
It could have possibly been a livery plate
1916 was the final year of St. Joseph porcelain plates
In 1917, porcelain plates were abandoned in favor of flat painted metal plates




Old Streetcar

Circa 1920's
INSIDE A ST JOSEPH STREETCAR





Old Streetcar

ST JOSEPH STREETCAR WRECK

A Messanie Street streetcar wreck at 26th & Locust






Circa 1930's
CHANGING FROM METAL WHEEL
TO RUBBER WHEEL TROLLEY

CIRCA: 1930's
This photo shows both, a metal wheel streetcar that ran on steel rails embedded in the streets and a rubber wheeled trolley-coach following close behind






Circa 1930'S
STREETCAR AT 6th & ATCHISON

Set in the early 1930's, with a circus in the background, this photo shows one of the streetcars that transported people to and from the circus grounds at 6th & Atchison



ELECTRIC POWERED TROLLEY-COACHESwith Rubber Wheels





Circa 1930'S
ST JOSEPH RAILWAY TROLLEY-COACH

A bus of the St Joseph Railway, Light, Heat and Power Company passes the new City Hall in the 1930's
Note the older style street lights




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11

ASSORTED ST JOSEPH LIGHT & POWER
TROLLEY-COACHES

St Joseph Light & Power's buses




1 2

KRUG PARK TROLLEY-COACH

Krug Park bus picking up passengers in front of Lee's Record shop at 601 Francis




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 3

Circa 1930's-1960's
SOUTH PARK TROLLEY-COACH

Photo #1 - South Park Trolley-Coach #264 at 11th & Garfield
Photo #2 - South Park Trolley Coach #209 loading downtown
Photo #3 - South Park Trolley Coach #209 loading downtown (different than #2)
Photo #4 - South Park Trolley-Coach #262 at 23rd & Commercial - Phil Welch Stadium
Photo #5 - South Park Trolley-Coach at 9th & Mitchell heading east on Mitchell - Circa 1964
Photo #6 - South Park Trolley-Coach #221 heading east on Garfield Avenue by Quaker Oats
Photo #7 - South Park Trolley-Coach #269
Photo #8 - South Park Trolley-Coach #269 at 11th & Pacific near Safeway - Circa 1964
Photo #9 - South Park Trolley-Coach #266 heading south on 6th at 6th & Edmond by Katz
Photo #10 - South Park Trolley-Coach #258 downtown by Missouri Theater - Circa 1937







Circa 1932
JULES STREET ELECTRIC TROLLEY-COACHES

Introduced in 1932, these coaches were on the Jules Street line
Painted orange and tan with a cream belt stripe and gray top
St Joseph had 10 of this type and they ran until 1948




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

JULES STREET TROLLEY-COACH





Wyatt Park Bus Photos
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
South St Joseph Bus Photos
1 2 3 4 5

WYATT PARK & SOUTH ST JOSEPH
TROLLEY-COACHES

The buses were still connected to the power lines above the streets into the 1960's
They converted from the steel wheels and tracks to rubber tires in the 1930's
The Wyatt Park line ended and turned around at 33rd & Pacific
It then became the South St Joseph line which ended at Lake & Illinois
It would then head back as the Wyatt Park line

Photo #6 - Loading & unloading passengers at Lake & Illinois, end of line
Photo #7 - Rounding the corner at King Hill & Illinois as the Wyatt Park line
Photo #8 - Wyatt Park bus turnaround at 33rd & Pacific, heading south



TROLLEY-COACH & BUS SCHEDULES





Circa 1949
MESSANIE STREET BUS SCHEDULE







Circa 1957
WYATT PARK/SO ST JOE BUS SCHEDULE







Circa 1973
MESSANIE & GRAND BUS SCHEDULE




GASOLINE OR DIESEL POWERED CITY BUSES with Rubber Wheels



1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1928
GRAND AVENUE BUSES
INTRODUCTION OF GAS BUSES

On July 4, 1928 the streetcars on Grand Avenue line were replaced with 4 gas buses
Was so popular that 2 buses were added to the route in November 1928
Photo circa: 1928




1 2

Circa 1929
MESSANIE STREET
GASOLINE & DIESEL BUSES

1929 Mack St Joseph Railway Light & Power bus
The bus was painted dark green and cream
In 1929, 14 buses were assigned to the Messanie Street route




1 Old Streetcar2

Circa 1932
EARLY GASOLINE FUELED BUSES

The city's gasoline fueled buses photographed at the car barns in 1932






Circa 1934
SOUTH PARK & WYATT PARK
TROLLEY-COACHES

In August 1934, the South Park line was replaced by 4 trolley-coaches
In 1936, 9 trolley-coaches were added to the Wyatt Park line






Circa 1930's
DIESEL FUELED TROLLEY-COACH







Circa 1936
FREDERICK AVENUE &
22nd STREET MOTOR BUSES

In 1936, Frederick Avenue and 22nd Street lines were replaced with motor buses




Circa 1937
PROSPECT AVENUE MOTOR BUSES

In 1937, Prospect Avenue line was replaced with motor buses






WORLD TRANS 3000 DIESEL TROLLEY-COACH

A newer World Trans 3000 series diesel bus




1989 TROLLEY-COACH

Circa 1989
BLUE BIRD BUS

Photo taken in 1989 of Rick Stafford standing in front of the
Blue Bird Bus #8503 he drove
Photo location: 5th & Edmond Street terminal

Photo submitted by Rick Stafford




Circa 1937
UNION LINE STREETCARS

In 1937, the St Joseph streetcar system had been reduced to only the north-south Union Streetcar Line and the Interurban
In December 1937, the south Union Line was replaced with trolley-coaches covering from downtown to South St Joseph
In January 1938, the north Union Line was replaced with trolley-coaches covering from downtown to Krug Park
The South St Joseph Line was much busier than the Krug Park Line
For about 10 years, the Krug Park line was routed to South Park
In 1938, center doors were cut in 5 of the smaller coaches




Circa 1944
THE SALE OF THE COMPANY

On December 27,1944, the name was changed to St Joseph Light & Power
The St Joseph Railway had been owned by Cities Service Corporation
Cities Service decided they wanted to be in the oil business and not the public utility business
After World War II, the Rosecrans Airport line was established
The route went via Jules Street, MacArthur Drive along the river, Highway 00, 19th Street past the airport and Avenue A to 12th Street
After the flood of 1952, the route was discontinued



COMPANY & BUSINESS VEHICLES


HORSE OR MULE DRAWN COMPANY WAGONS with Steel Wheels





MEADOW GOLD WAGON
HORSE DRAWN

>


Fire Station

Circa 1910
HORSE DRAWN FIRE WAGON

>


Seaman-Schuske

SEAMAN & SCHUSKE ROOFING
COMPANY WAGON

Seaman & Schuske Roofing & Sheetmetal Company
Photo submitted by Wheeler Schmidt




Schmidt Carriage

D.H. SCHMIDT CARRIAGE

D.H. Schmidt Carriage Company
Photo submitted by Wheeler Schmidt




Fogarty-Kneib

FOGARTY-KNEIB
GRAIN & HAY WAGON

Fogarty-Kneib Grain & Hay Company

Photo submitted by Wheeler Schmidt




Getchell Laundry

GETCHELL LAUNDRY WAGON

Getchell Laundry CO
Photo submitted by Wheeler Schmidt




Mueller-Keller Candy Co

MUELLER-KELLER CANDY
DELIVERY WAGON

Mueller-Keller Candy Company delivery wagon
Photo submitted by Wheeler Schmidt




1 2

N. S. HILLYARD CHEMICAL
DELIVERY WAGON & TRUCK





Rifenbary Ice Company

RIFENBARY ICE DELIVERY WAGON

Rifenbary Ice Company
Photo submitted by Wheeler Schmidt



COMPANY DELIVERY VEHICLES with Various Power & Wheels






NAVE & McCORD MERCANTILE TRUCK






BOSTON HOUSE & WINDOW CLEANING
115 North 3rd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Reed Russell drove this van in the late 40's to early 50's
Civic Arena is now at this location
Photo submitted by Mr Russell's daughter, Sally Russell Hubbard







SEITZ's LOVERS LANE LIVESTOCK TRUCK






Circa 1930's
ARMOUR & COMPANY FLEET
Stockyard Expressway

This photo was taken in the 1930's on Armour's 20th anniversary






WESTERN DAIRY
CARGO TRUCK
218 South 5th Street

Non-refrigerated truck for carrying cargo such as crates, milk bottles, milk boxes, etc.






Circa 1965
WESTERN DAIRY
HOME DELIVERY MILK TRUCK
218 South 5th Street

Western Dairy stopped home delivery of Justrite dairy products in the late 1970's
This is one of their older mid-1960's trucks






MANNSHRECK'S MEAT COMPANY
529 SOUTH 8th STREET





1 2

GOETZ BREWERY COUNTRY CLUB
DELIVERY TRUCKS

Photo #1 - Country Club beer delivery truck
Photo #2 - Country Club truck out of Falls City Nebraska






Circa 1950'S
PEPSI-COLA DELIVERY TRUCK





Frog Hop Truck

FROG HOP TRUCK

Photo is of an old model truck advertising the Frog Hop Ballroom. The photo was taken on South 13th street, south of the old Central High School when it was located on South 13th Street




Artesian

Circa 1940'S
ARTESIAN ICE TRUCK





Blue Valley Dairy

BLUE VALLEY CREAMERY TRUCK

Blue Valley Cremery
Photo submitted by Wheeler Schmidt






BROWN TRANSFER & STORAGE






CD Smith Drug Co

CD SMITH DRUGS TRUCK

CD Smith Drug Company Truck
Photo submitted by Wheeler Schmidt




Dannen Mill

DANNEN GRAIN TRUCK

Dannen Grain & Milling Company
Photo submitted by Wheeler Schmidt






Circa 1950
DUGDALE PACKING COMPANY

1950 refrigerated meat delivery trucks
Photo submitted by Wheeler Schmidt




Goetz Country Club Beer

GOETZ COUNTRY CLUB
BEER TRUCK

Goetz Country Club Beer Truck
Photo submitted by Wheeler Schmidt




Goetz Country Club Beer

Circa 1930's
GOETZ SALES TEAM & FLATBED TRUCK







Circa 1913
HEATON-BEGOLE UNDERTAKERS
707 Edmond

In 1913, David E. Heaton merged with George J. BeGole
It was the formation of Heaton-BeGole Undertaking Company
For the first time, ambulance service complemented the range of services provided by Heaton-BeGole




Hund & Eger1 Hund & Eger2

HUND & EGER BOTTLING
421 NORTH 2ND STREET

The bottling plant was located at 421 N. Second Street
Hund & Eger was formed in 1888
The company was sold in 1962 to Kansas City Coca Cola Bottling Co.




HH Libbe Flour

H.H.LIBBE FLOUR DELIVERY TRUCK

H.H. Libbe Flour Company
Photo submitted by Wheeler Schmidt






Circa 1901
JUSTRITE DAIRY DELIVERY WAGON

Mary (Merk) Sharp's grandfather with his delivery vehicle in 1901



MISCELLANEOUS VEHICLES





ST JOSEPH FIRE CHIEF CAR

Fred Watts driving the car
>
>




Circa 1907
SWIFT & COMPANY
TEAM OF HORSES & WAGON







EARLY POLICE PADDY WAGON







THAMES AUTO BODY LAUNDRY & SERVICE CO




Blue Town Auction

Circa 1950'S
BUICK AUCTION IN BLUE TOWN

Set in the 1950's, bidding goes on for of a Buick at a Blue Town Auction




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu