Free website hit counter

Search St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
NOTE: Does not work for DECEASED CLASSMATES
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind

Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

SOUTH ST JOSEPH - LISTED IN ALPHABETIC ORDER



1 2 3

Circa 1899
STOCKYARD & PACKING HOUSES MAP

In 1911, there were 3 packing houses on the west side of the stockyards
Hammond Packing #241 on the map
Morris Packing #242 on the map
Swift & Company Packing #243 & 244 on the map
St Joseph Stockyard Company is displayed in yellow, #245 on the map
Armour Packing would build a packing house at a later date
Hammond Packing and Morris Packing would later be gone
In 1911, the Stockyards and packing houses were not inside the city limits
Part of the Florence Addition can be seen in the top part of the map
The railroad tracks servicing the area are shown

Photo #1 - 1911 Sanborn Map showing stockyards & packing houses
Photo #2 - 1899 Hammond Packing House advertisement




Circa 1920
A. C. HAMM COAL COMPANY
1004 South 21st Street







Circa 1958
JAMES ALBIN'S
CHAMPION SERVICE STATION
5707 Lake Avenue

This used to be a Champion gas station
Currently a used car lot
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3 4 5 6

A & W ROOT BEER
4127-4129 King Hill Avenue
Circa 1960
ARNOLD'S THIRST-T DRIVE-INN
BROASTED CHICKEN
4127-4129 King Hill Avenue
Circa 1971
ARNOLD'S THIRST-T DRIVE-INN
BROASTED CHICKEN
4127-4129 King Hill Avenue
HILLSIDE MOTORS
4127-4129 King Hill Avenue
PACKERS CAR LOT
4127-4129 King Hill Avenue

4129 King Hill
In 1960, this structure was listed as Thirs-T Drive-in resturant
It was a subsidiary of A & W Root Beer
It featured car hop service and their Broasted Chicken was the best in town
We lost a great place to eat when Thirs-t closed
Another restaurant opened later at this location but didn't last long
Hillside Motors, an auto sales company, is currently in business at this location
As of 2013, Hillside Motors has been located here for the past 10 years

Photo #1 - 1960's Thirst-T advertisement
Photo #2 - 1979 A&W and Thirst-T advertisement
Photo #3 - Hill Side Motors
Photo #4 - Hill Side Motors




1 2 3 4 5

ARMOUR & COMPANY PACKING HOUSE

Armour & Company was a meatpacking company founded in Chicago, in 1867
The St Joseph packing house was located in the stockyard area
On May 6, 1930 Armour suffered a major explosion. 19 people were killed, 5 were injured
The structure no longer exists

Photo #1 - 1930's Armour Packing House Beef Kill Crew
Photo #2 - 1943 photo of Armour & Co Meat Packing House
Photo #3 - Armour truck fleet in the 1930's
Photo #4 - May 6, 1930 St Joseph News Press photo
Photo #5 - Dec 1921 Packing House Police for Strike






BANKER & DELANEY
PROPANE & BUTANE GAS
Memorial Highway & Elizabeth Street







B-7 WESTERN CLOTHING STORE
I-29 at South 169 Exit

This western clothing store was located just west of Paint Pony Lounge
They specialized in western clothing
They had 3 stores, located in King City, Cameron and St Joseph
Why the store's name B-7 (B bar 7) was named as such:
B for Bashor and the 7 was the number of family members
The store was owned by Bonnie & Eddie Bashor
At the time this photo was taken it was an antique shop
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Circa 1958
MAIN LINER NIGHT CLUB
6421 Memorial Highway
Circa 1958
JACOB'S FILLING STATION & GARAGE
6421 Memorial Highway





Circa 1940
JOSEPH WRAY FILLING STATION
6601 Memorial Highway

The building no longer exists






Circa 1940
BENTON FEED STORE
6621 Memorial Highway
Circa 1958
BENTON FEED STORE
6621 Memorial Highway

The building no longer exists




Circa 1958
WRAY'S 66 SERVICE STATION
6625 Memorial Highway

The building no longer exists




Circa 1940
STEPHEN COVALL FILLING STATION
6635 Memorial Highway
Circa 1940
DANIEL WHITE AUTO REPAIR
6635 Memorial Highway

The building no longer exists




Circa 1940
CARL AUG RESTAURANT
6701 Memorial Highway

The building no longer exists






BILL ROBINSON WHOLESALE FISH
311 East Missouri Avenue





Fire Station #10

Circa 1912
FIRE STATION #10
101 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1915
FIRE STATION #10
101 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1930
FIRE STATION #10
101 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1937
FIRE STATION #10
101 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1942
FIRE STATION #10
101 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1949
FIRE STATION #10
101 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1958
FIRE STATION #10
101 Illinois Avenue

Located on the North West corner of King Hill and Illinois Avenues
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




Circa 1912
HOME TELEPHONE
110 Illinois
Circa 1915
VACANT
110 Illinois
Circa 1930
VACANT
110 Illinois
Circa 1937
CHARLES STAGG AUTO REPAIR
110 Illinois
Circa 1942
VACANT
110 Illinois
Circa 1949
SCHULTZ ELECTRIC COMPANY
110 Illinois
Circa 1958
SCHULTZ ELECTRIC COMPANY
110 Illinois





1 2 3

Circa 1908
CLARK FUNERAL HOME
120 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1949
CLARK FUNERAL HOME
120 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1958
CLARK FUNERAL HOME
120 Illinois Avenue




Circa 1915
HOLLY LAFOREST AUTO REPAIR
124 Illinois
Circa 1930
VACANT
124 Illinois
Circa 1937
ROBERT ANDERSON REAL ESTATE
124 Illinois
Circa 1942
NU BONE CORSET SERVICE
124 Illinois
Circa 1942
ROBERT ANDERSON REAL ESTATE
124 Illinois
Circa 1949
HALL APPLIANCE
124 Illinois
Circa 1958
HALL APPLIANCE
124 Illinois





Circa 1912
HANNA MORGAN BOARDING HOUSE
209 Illinois
Circa 1915
HANNA MORGAN BOARDING HOUSE
209 Illinois





Circa 1942
SOUTH WESTERN BELL TELEPHONE
213 Illinois
Circa 1949
SOUTH WESTERN BELL TELEPHONE
213 Illinois
Circa 1958
SOUTH WESTERN BELL TELEPHONE
213 Illinois





Circa 1930
SAMUEL WAISBLUM SHOE REPAIR
222 Illinois
Circa 1937
FAYETTE BEAUTY SHOP
222 Illinois
Circa 1942
MRS HALLIE HARRETY BEAUTY SHOP
222 Illinois
Circa 1949
NATIONAL CLEANERS
222 Illinois
Circa 1958
M & M CLEANERS
222 Illinois







Circa 1921
J. J. TUCKER PHYSICIAN
224 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1921
W. D. WEBB PHYSICIAN
224 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1921
HARRY KRAMER DENTIST
224 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1930
W. L. MACK REAL ESTATE, LOANS & INSURANCE
224 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1937
MARVIN MORSE PHYSICIAN
224 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1942
MARVIN MORSE PHYSICIAN
224 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1949
SOUTH SIDE BEAUTY SALON
224 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1958
INDEPENDENT PACKING HOUSE WORKERS UNION No 10
224 Illinois Avenue







Circa 1921
E. L. SMITH REAL ESTATE
226 Illinois Avenue





Circa 1958
FRANK HARTIGAN OPTOMETRIST
228 Illinois





Circa 1958
GENE'S TV SERVICE
230 Illinois





Circa 1942
ALMALGAMATED MEAT CUTTERS & BUTCHER UNION
232 Illinois
Circa 1949
ALMALGAMATED MEAT CUTTERS & BUTCHER UNION
232 Illinois
Circa 1958
VACANT
232 Illinois







Circa 1937
KATHERINE O'NEAL CONFECTIONARY
234 Illinois
Circa 1942
ST JOSEPH NEWS PRESS
234 Illinois
Circa 1949
ARTHUR TIMERMAN PHYSICIAN
234 Illinois
Circa 1958
HENDRA'S FLOWERS
234 Illinois
Circa 1966
HENDRA'S FLOWERS & GIFTS
234 Illinois Avenue

Photo - 1966 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1930
E. L. SMITH LOANS
236 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1942
ERNEST SMITH REAL ESTATE
236 Illinois
Circa 1949
ERNEST SMITH REAL ESTATE
236 Illinois
Circa 1949
PUBLIC CEMETERY ASSOCIATION
236 Illinois
Circa 1958
SMITH & SON REAL ESTATE
236 Illinois

Photo - 1930 City Directory advertisement




1 2

Circa 1912
W. B. HOWE PLUMBING & HARDWARE
228-230 Illinois
Circa 1915
L. J. SCANLAN PLUMBING & HARDWARE
228-230 Illinois
Circa 1921
SCANLAN HARDWARE & FURNITURE
228-230 Illinois
Circa 1930
SCANLAN'S HARDWARE
238 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1937
M. B. CRUMME DENTIST
230 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1937
SCANLAN'S HARDWARE
238-240 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1942
SCANLAN'S HARDWARE
238-240 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1942
LUCKINBILL DENTIST
230 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1949
MOHAMMED TAHIR PHYSICIAN
228 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1949
LUCKINBILL DENTIST
230 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1949
SCANLAN'S HARDWARE
238-240 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1949
SCANLAN'S HARDWARE
238-240 Illinois Avenue




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1926
CASSIL'S RIALTO THEATER
239 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1937
CASSIL'S RIALTO THEATER
239 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1937
MRS JEAN CASSIL CONFECTIONARY
239 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1942
CASSIL'S RIALTO THEATER
239 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1942
MRS JEAN CASSIL CONFECTIONARY
239 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1958
CASSIL'S RIALTO THEATER
239 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1958
MRS JEAN CASSIL CONFECTIONARY
239 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1965
DEX THEATER
239 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1970
CAMEO THEATER
239 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1971
ASTRO THEATER
239 Illinois Avenue

RIALTO THEATER opened on October 21, 1926
Last date the Rialto was open: Saturday, April 26, 1958
Last shows played at the Rialto was Pat Boone & Shirley Jones In April Love and Sal Mineo in Dino
Photo #1 - 1926 Rialto Theater
Photo #2 - Before and after of Frank Cassil's Rialto Theater remodeled
Photo #8 - 1927 St Joseph News Press advertisement

DEX THEATER opened on Friday, December 31, 1965
Showing 3 movies - Jerry Lewis in Dont Give Up The Ship,
Rock-A-Bye Baby and John Wayne in Donovans Reef
The last date the Dex was open, Sunday May 10,1970
The last movies showing was Elvis Presley in Live a Little, Love a Little and Hank Williams in A Time To Sing

CAMEO THEATER opened on Monday September 28, 1970
Live Telecast from the Eden Theatre stage in New York
Oh Calcutta, a 2 Hour Broadway Musical Comedy
For mature Audiences only,18 and over,must have prove of age
Last date Cameo was open was Thursday July 1, 1971
Last shows was Hothouse + My Swedish Cousin, both X rated

ASTRO THEATER opened on Friday July 2,1971
New Hours: 9am to Midnight Every Day
The Most Adult Movies In St Joseph
New Double Feature Every Friday
Showing The Art of Marriage + Precious Jewels, both rated X
Last X Rated movie was shown on Thursday December 16,1971
Movie shown that day was He and She - Rated X
On Friday December 17, 1971 the Astro began
showing non-X rated movies
Astro Theatre last date open Thursday January 20,1972
Last showing was Doctor Zhivago - Rated GP
On Thursday December 9,1971 the St Joseph Newspress front page headlines read:
Trial Of Obscene Movie Charged Delayed Again
Projectionist Clearance Wilson arrested on September 17,1971

Thanks goes to Terry Plumb for researching the above data
The last movie I saw at the Rialto was RODAN in 1957
Since the last closing, it has been occupied by a tavern




Circa 1915
PAUL MORRISON DRUGS
301 Illinois
Circa 1921
B. F. MANN DENTIST
301 Illinois
Circa 1930
W. E. HARRINGTON DRUGS
301 Illinois
Circa 1937
ALVAH PETERS DRUGS
301 Illinois
Circa 1942
ALVAH PETERS DRUGS
301 Illinois
Circa 1949
HELEN WRINKLE PHARMACY
301 Illinois
Circa 1958
DR SHARON WAGGONER PHYSICIAN
301 Illinois





1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1915
SAVOY SILENT MOVIE THEATER
302 Illinois
Circa 1921
SAVOY SILENT MOVIE THEATER
302 Illinois
Circa 1921
W. A. LEUCHT CONFECTIONARY
302 Illinois
Circa 1930
W. A. LEUCHT CONFECTIONARY
302 Illinois
Circa 1937
BEATY GROCERY STORES No 1
302-304 Illinois
Circa 1942
BEATY GROCERY STORES No 1
302-304 Illinois
Circa 1949
TURNER'S HY-KLAS GROCERY STORE
302-304 Illinois
Circa 1958
HY-KLAS GROCERY STORE No 18
302-304 Illinois

Known to be in operation in 1915-1926
This building originally opened as the Savoy Theater
It is located at the Southwest corner of Illinois and Gordon street
The Savoy Theater first appeared in the 1921 St Joseph telephone book
The Rialto Theater opened across the street in 1926
It is believed that the Savoy closed shortly after Rialto's opening as the Savoy was not listed in the 1927 telephone book
During the 1980s the building was used as a Bingo Hall on Thursday nights
Other uses were wedding receptions and some class reunions
Photos and information submitted by Terry Plumb




Circa 1930
JAMES GOMECK DRY GOODS
303 Illinois
Circa 1930
BENEDICT WENKER DENTIST
303 Illinois
Circa 1937
JAMES GOMECK DRY GOODS
303 Illinois
Circa 1942
JAMES GOMECK DRY GOODS
303 Illinois
Circa 1949
HOLCOMB CAFE
303 Illinois
Circa 1958
CHARLES BRAZAN REAL ESTATE
303 Illinois





Circa 1915
SOUTH ST JOSEPH TOWN COMPANY
304 Illinois
Circa 1915
ENGLISH LAND COMPANY
304 Illinois





Circa 1912
CRAIG & ZIPH BAKERY
306 Illinois
Circa 1915
W. H. HERMAN PLUMBING
306 Illinois
Circa 1921
M. J. MORONEY ELECTRICIAN
306 Illinois
Circa 1921
T. M. HOUSTAN BAKERY
306 Illinois
Circa 1937
JOSEPH MONTZ JEWELER
306 Illinois
Circa 1937
TRACAN DURMIS SHOE REPAIR
306 Illinois
Circa 1942
STEVEN PETROVICK SHOE REPAIR
306 Illinois
Circa 1949
JOSEPH MONTZ JEWELER
306 Illinois
Circa 1949
SOUTH SIDE SHOE SHOP
306 Illinois
Circa 1958
JOE'S WATCH REPAIR
306 Illinois
Circa 1958
SOUTH SIDE SHOE SHOP
306 Illinois





Circa 1912
SAMUEL SCHNEIDMAN TAILOR
308 Illinois
Circa 1915
SAMUEL SCHNEIDMAN TAILOR
308 Illinois
Circa 1930
SAMUEL MUCHNICK TAILOR
308 Illinois
Circa 1930
J. L. CHOUN JEWELER
308 Illinois
Circa 1937
SAMUEL MUCHNICK TAILOR
308 Illinois
Circa 1937
JOSEPH L. CHOUN WATCH REPAIR
308 Illinois
Circa 1942
SAMUEL MUCHNICK TAILOR
308 Illinois
Circa 1949
JUNCTION FURNITURE STORE
308 Illinois
Circa 1958
PETER HALE USED FURNITURE
308 Illinois





Circa 1937
H. T. BERGESON RESTAURANT
309 Illinois
Circa 1942
LEO MILLER RESTAURANT
309 Illinois
Circa 1949
JUNCTION EAT SHOP
309 Illinois
Circa 1958
BRUNER'S JUNCTION EAT SHOP
309 Illinois





Circa 1912
FRANK A. DeYOE MEAT MARKET
310 Illinois
Circa 1915
HAYNIE BROTHERS BILLIARDS
310 Illinois
Circa 1930
STERLING WARD BARBER
310 Illinois
Circa 1937
STERLING WARD BARBER
310 Illinois
Circa 1937
CLEMENTINE WARD BEAUTY SHOP
310 Illinois
Circa 1942
STERLING WARD BARBER
310 Illinois
Circa 1942
CLEMENTINE WARD BEAUTY SHOP
310 Illinois
Circa 1949
STERLING WARD BARBER
310 Illinois
Circa 1949
CLEMENTINE WARD BEAUTY SHOP
310 Illinois
Circa 1949
WARD'S BARBER & BEAUTY SHOP
310 Illinois





1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1912
SOUTH ST JOSEPH REAL ESTATE
312 Illinois
Circa 1912
ENGLISH LAND COMPANY
312 Illinois
Circa 1912
WEST VIEW LAND & INVESTMENT
312 Illinois
Circa 1912
CLARK INVESTMENT COMPANY
312 Illinois
Circa 1912
SAMUEL BLOOM SHOEMAKER
314 Illinois
Circa 1915
ISAAC GORDON DRY GOODS
314 Illinois
Circa 1915
VACANT
312 Illinois
Circa 1930
HARRY JONES DRUG STORE
312-314 Illinois
Circa 1937
WAPOLE'S JUNCTION DRUG STORE
312-314 Illinois
Circa 1937
WALPOLE'S DRUG STORES
312 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1942
VACANT
312-314 Illinois
Circa 1948
PUTTER'S DEPARTMENT STORE
312 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1949
PUTTER'S DEPARTMENT STORE
312-314 Illinois
Circa 1951
HAROLD'S DEPARTMENT STORE
312 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1958
HAROLD'S DEPARTMENT STORE
312-316 Illinois

1937 WALPOLE'S DRUG STORES newspaper advertisements
Walpole had 4 stores in St Joseph in 1937
Photo #4 - 1964 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #6 - 1951 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #7 - 1951 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1912
CLARENCE HARRIS CIGAR SHOP
316 Illinois
Circa 1915
LOUIS LHEUREUY CONFECTIONARY
316 Illinois
Circa 1930
STEPHEN HAICH GROCERY
316 Illinois
Circa 1937
MARSHALL'S AUTO SERVICE STORE
316 Illinois
Circa 1942
CHARLES BAZAN REAL ESTATE & INSURANCE
316 Illinois
Circa 1949
CHARLES BAZAN REAL ESTATE & INSURANCE
316 Illinois





Circa 1912
ISADORE GOLDBERG CONFECTIONARY
318 Illinois
Circa 1915
SAMUEL BLOOM SHOEMAKER
318 Illinois
Circa 1921
FRED HARRISON PLUMBING
318 Illinois
Circa 1925
HARRISON & RIVERS PLUMBING
318 Illinois
Circa 1930
S. M. SCHNEIDMAN TAILOR
318 Illinois
Circa 1937
S. M. SCHNEIDMAN TAILOR
318 Illinois
Circa 1942
VACANT
318 Illinois
Circa 1949
BIG SAM THE TAILOR
318 Illinois
Circa 1958
BIG SAM THE TAILOR
318 Illinois





1 2

Circa 1915
LOUIS COHEN TAILOR
320 Illinois
Circa 1921
C. W. WRIGHT CONFECTIONARY
320 Illinois
Circa 1930
HENRY DOZER CONFECTIONARY
320 Illinois
Circa 1937
RALPH GEMMELL BARBER SHOP
320 Illinois
Circa 1942
RALPH GEMMELL RESTAURANT
320 Illinois
Circa 1949
JIMMIE'S PASTRY SHOP
320 Illinois
Circa 1958
SOUTH SIDE BEAUTY SHOP
320 Illinois





Circa 1915
MRS SARAH GOLDBERG CONFECTIONARY
322 Illinois
Circa 1930
BASKET GROCERY STORE No 89
322 Illinois
Circa 1937
BASKET GROCERY STORE No 89
322 Illinois
Circa 1942
VACANT
322 Illinois
Circa 1949
NEWS-PRESS GAZETTE BRANCH OFFICE
322 Illinois
Circa 1958
ROBERT BIRBECK, DENTIST
322 Illinois





Circa 1912
BOWEN LAND & INVESTMENT COMPANY
323 Illinois
Circa 1912
FLORENCE INVESTMENT COMPANY
323 Illinois
Circa 1912
BOWEN & MACK REAL ESTATE
323 Illinois
Circa 1915
BOWEN LAND & INVESTMENT
323 Illinois
Circa 1915
FLORENCE INVESTMENT COMPANY
323 Illinois
Circa 1915
WALTER MACK REAL ESTATE
323 Illinois





Circa 1912
HARRIS BROTHERS DRUGS
324 Illinois
Circa 1915
OGDEN FOSBURGH JEWELER
324 Illinois
Circa 1915
JOHNATHAN PHILBRICK DRUGS
324 Illinois
Circa 1921
JOHNATHAN PHILBRICK DRUGS
324 Illinois
Circa 1930
NELSON'S PHARMACY No 2
324 Illinois
Circa 1937
NELSON'S PHARMACY No 2
324 Illinois
Circa 1942
NELSON'S PHARMACY No 2
324 Illinois
Circa 1949
BRADLEY PHARMACY
324 Illinois
Circa 1958
BRADLEY PHARMACY
324 Illinois





Circa 1912
MOLLETT & ARNOLD RESTAURANT
328 Illinois
Circa 1912
RIVER VIEW INVESTMENT
328 Illinois
Circa 1912
EUREKA LAND COMPANY
328 Illinois
Circa 1912
BENJAMIN PUTTER CLOTHING
326 Illinois
Circa 1915
RIVER VIEW INVESTMENT
326 Illinois
Circa 1915
EUREKA LAND COMPANY
326 Illinois
Circa 1915
PHIL HALL SALOON
328 Illinois
Circa 1915
BENJAMIN PUTTER CLOTHING
326 Illinois
Circa 1921
BENJAMIN PUTTER CLOTHING
326-328 Illinois
Circa 1930
BENJAMIN PUTTER CLOTHING
326-328 Illinois
Circa 1937
BENJAMIN PUTTER CLOTHING
326-328 Illinois
Circa 1942
BENJAMIN PUTTER CLOTHING
326-328 Illinois
Circa 1949
MARSHAL AUTO STORES
326 Illinois
Circa 1958
MARSHAL AUTO STORES
326 Illinois





Circa 1910
KEYWOOD TAVERN
401 Illinois
Circa 1915
KEYWOOD SALOON
401 Illinois
Circa 1921
BEAM & CHAMBERLAIN SOFT DRINKS
Prohibition Era
401 Illinois
Circa 1930
VACANT
401 Illinois
Circa 1937
JOHN MAGIN RESTAURANT
401 Illinois
Circa 1942
JOHN MAGIN RESTAURANT
401 Illinois
Circa 1949
MRS GRACE HUFFMAN TAVERN
401 Illinois
Circa 1958
HUFFMAN'S BAR
401 Illinois





Circa 1910
J W KERSEY TAVERN
402 Illinois
Circa 1915
ROGERS & UNDERWOOD SALOON
402 Illinois
Circa 1921
ROGERS & UNDERWOOD SOFT DRINKS
Prohibition Era
402 Illinois
Circa 1930
ROGERS & UNDERWOOD BILLIARDS
402 Illinois
Circa 1942
LUCKY ELEVEN SANDWICH SHOP
402 Illinois
Circa 1949
LESLIE STITES RESTAURANT
402 Illinois
Circa 1958
STITES FOOD SHOP RESTAURANT
402 Illinois







Circa 1915
KALIS DRUG COMPANY
403 Illinois
Circa 1921
KALIS DRUG COMPANY
403 Illinois
Circa 1930
GEORGE GROSS CLOTHING
403 Illinois
Circa 1937
BEN GOLDBERG JEWELER
403 Illinois
Circa 1942
BEN GOLDBERG JEWELER
403 Illinois
Circa 1949
HAROLD CABLE PAWNSHOP
403 Illinois
Circa 1951
BLOCK'S ARMY SURPLUS
403 Illinois
Circa 1958
VACANT
403 Illinois

Leon Block was the proprietor
The building no longer exists

Photo #1 - 1951 St Joseph News Press advertisement




Circa 1910
Leighty Granville Pool Hall
404 Illinois
Circa 1915
William Ingram Pool
404 Illinois
Circa 1930
Berry & Huffman Cigars
404 Illinois





Circa 1915
BEN GOLDBERG CLOTHING
405 Illinois
Circa 1921
ROSE WEIS CLOTHING
405 Illinois
Circa 1930
VACANT
405 Illinois
Circa 1937
GARDNER & HUFFMAN BILLIARDS
405 Illinois
Circa 1942
GARDNER & HUFFMAN BILLIARDS
405 Illinois
Circa 1949
GARDNER & HUFFMAN CIGAR STORE
405 Illinois
Circa 1958
FOUR-O-FIVE CIGAR STORE
405 Illinois





Circa 1910
L. S. Southard Saloon
406 Illinois
Circa 1911
G. W. Saunders Saloon
406 Illinois
Circa 1915
VACANT
406 Illinois
Circa 1915
RICHARD BEAMON, BARBER
406½ Illinois
Circa 1921
S. M. SCHNEIDMAN TAILOR
406 Illinois
Circa 1930
VACANT
406 Illinois
Circa 1930
RICHARD BEAMON, BARBER
406½ Illinois
Circa 1937
VACANT
406 Illinois





Circa 1910
Mrs Margaret Breuninger Poolhall
407 Illinois
Circa 1915
Henry Breuninger Poolhall
407 Illinois
Circa 1930
Thomas Boltz Cigars
407 Illinois
Circa 1937
Edward Haug Liquor
407 Illinois
Circa 1937
Frank Cooper Restaurant
407 Illinois
Circa 1942
Bally & Mann Liquor
407 Illinois
Circa 1949
Clyde Bally Tavern
407 Illinois
Circa 1958
Bally & Gardner Tavern
407 Illinois





THE LINDSAY BUILDING
408-410 Illinois
Circa 1915
MARTIN CURRY SALOON
408 Illinois
Circa 1937
KOBETT FURNITURE REPAIR
408 Illinois
Circa 1937
SAMUEL WAISBLUM SHOE REPAIR
408 Illinois
Circa 1949
WATHENA HATCHERY - MISSOURI BRANCH
408 Illinois
Circa 1958
SOUTHTOWN FURNITURE & AUCTION
408 Illinois




Circa 1910
J J Sprengel & Brother Tavern
409 Illinois
Circa 1915
J J Sprengel, Jr Saloon
409 Illinois
Circa 1930
VACANT
409 Illinois
Circa 1937
Lloyd Williams Restaurant
409 Illinois
Circa 1942
William Reynolds Restaurant
409 Illinois
Circa 1949
William Reynolds Restaurant
409 Illinois
Circa 1958
Reynolds Restaurant
409 Illinois





Circa 1910
S. G. Toub Saloon
410 Illinois
Circa 1910
G. M. Burbank Confectionary
410 Illinois
Circa 1915
VACANT
410 Illinois
Circa 1921
Fred Greenberg Clothing
410 Illinois
Circa 1930
VACANT
410 Illinois
Circa 1937
Richard Beamon Barber
410 Illinois
Circa 1942
Richard Beamon Barber
410 Illinois
Circa 1949
VACANT
410 Illinois





Circa 1915
VACANT
411 Illinois
Circa 1921
J. T. KEYWOOD SOFT DRINKS
Prohibition Era
411 Illinois
Circa 1937
W. A. STEWART BARBER
411 Illinois
Circa 1942
OCLE CRAIN BARBER
411 Illinois
Circa 1949
OCLE CRAIN BARBER
411 Illinois
Circa 1958
OCLE CRAIN BARBER
411 Illinois





Circa 1937
HENRY HOCHMAN DRY GOODS
413 Illinois
Circa 1942
HENRY HOCHMAN DRY GOODS
413 Illinois
Circa 1949
HENRY HOCHMAN DRY GOODS
413 Illinois
Circa 1958
SOUTH SIDE BARGAIN STORE
General Merchandise
413 Illinois





Circa 1915
CHARLES BRADY GENERAL MERCHANDISE
415 Illinois
Circa 1937
WILLIAM REYNOLDS RESTAURANT
415 Illinois
Circa 1942
VACANT
415 Illinois
Circa 1949
BLOCK ARMY SURPLUS STORE
415 Illinois
Circa 1958
BLOCK ARMY SURPLUS STORE
415 Illinois





THE TRANSIT HOUSE
416 Illinois
Circa 1915
JAMES DUNCAN SALOON
416 Illinois
Circa 1915
LOUIS LIVASKY BARBER SHOP
416 Illinois
Circa 1921
DUNCAN BROTHERS SOFT DRINKS
Prohibition Era
416 Illinois
Circa 1937
LIVE STOCK TRUCKERS CLUB
416 Illinois
Circa 1937
STOCKMEN'S TAVERN
416 Illinois
Circa 1942
LIVE STOCK TRUCKERS CLUB
416 Illinois
Circa 1942
US SELECTIVE SERVICE BOARD No 3
416 Illinois




Circa 1911
J. A. Bond Saloon
417 Illinois
Circa 1915
GEORGE BURBANK BILLIARDS
417 Illinois
Circa 1921
BRONSON & CHILTON CIGARS
417 Illinois
Circa 1937
HARRY FINE LIQUOR
417 Illinois
Circa 1942
HARRY FINE LIQUOR
417 Illinois
Circa 1949
HARRY FINE TAVERN
417 Illinois
Circa 1958
HARRY FINE TAVERN
417 Illinois





Circa 1915
BEAM & CHAMBERLAIN SALOON
419 Illinois
Circa 1915
STOCK YARDS HOTEL & CAFE
419 Illinois
Circa 1937
SEWARDS & FALLER LIQUOR
419 Illinois
Circa 1942
VACANT
419 Illinois
Circa 1949
VACANT
419 Illinois
Circa 1958
VACANT
419 Illinois





Circa 1937
THOMAS BOLTZ CIGARS
421 Illinois
Circa 1942
FORD FEED COMPANY
421 Illinois
Circa 1949
BENTON FEED COMPANY
421 Illinois
Circa 1958
GRAIN BELT BEER DISTRIBUTORS
421 Illinois





1 2

Circa 1915
BLAIR HORSE & MULE COMPANY
422 Illinois
Circa 1915
WILLIAM HASPEL HARNESS MAKER
422 Illinois
Circa 1921
WILLIAM HASPEL HARNESS MAKER
422 Illinois
Circa 1921
ST JOSEPH JOURNAL PUBLISHING
422-432 Illinois
Circa 1937
PURATOAN PRODUCTS
Medicine Manufacturer
422 Illinois
Circa 1949
ST JOSEPH JOURNAL PUBLISHING
422-432 Illinois
Circa 1949
THE ST JOSEPH JOURNAL SHOPPERbr />422-432 Illinois
Circa 1958
JOURNAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
422-432 Illinois
Circa 1958
ST JOSEPH STOCK YARDS JOURNAL
422-432 Illinois





Circa 1915
WILLIAM SPRAKE, BARBER
423 Illinois
Circa 1937
JOHN COMELLO RESTAURANT
423 Illinois
Circa 1942
JOHN COMELLO RESTAURANT
423 Illinois
Circa 1949
MARSHALL CAFE
423 Illinois
Circa 1958
VACANT
423 Illinois





Circa 1915
WILLIAM HASPEL, HORSESHOER
424 Illinois





Circa 1937
GROVES TAVERN
425 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1947
GROVES TAVERN
425 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1959
SOUTH SIDE TAVERN
425 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1960
BRANDING IRON TAVERN
425 Illinois Avenue





1 2

Circa 1905
MARTIN CURRY TAVERN
427 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1915
KRIST LIND SALOON
427 Illinois
Circa 1937
WILLIAM GROVES RESTAURANT
427 Illinois
Circa 1942
WILLIAM GROVES RESTAURANT
427 Illinois
Circa 1949
WALDEN RESTAURANT
427 Illinois
Circa 1958
HERB'S CAFE
427 Illinois
Circa 1961
SOUTHSIDE AUTO PARTS
427 Illinois Avenue

Photo #1 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1905 photo - Martin Curry tavern




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10

Circa 1898
429 Illinois, the building was built
Circa 1910
George Knopinski Saloon
429 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1918
George Knopinski Saloon
429-432 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1924
Williams & Imen's Cafe
429 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1926
Illinois Cafe
429 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1930
Williams & Imen's Cafe
429 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1932
Bernard J Konoski Restaurant/Lunch Room
429 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1935-1937
VACANT
429 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1938
Hoof & Horn Tavern
429-431 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1949
Hoof & Horn Tavern
429-431 Illinois Avenue
Circa 1958
Hoof & Horn Tavern
429-431 Illinois Avenue

The building was built in 1898
The Hoof & Horn Steakhouse is located in the Stockyard area
They are known for their fine steaks
The Hoof & Horn is currently owned by the Swope Family
In 1987, the Swope family bought the steakhouse from the Millers
The Millers ran the Hoof & Horn for over 30 years
The Millers bought the steakhouse from Joe Mallus
Joe Mallus ran the Hoof & Horn for over 40 years
Joe Mallus bought the Hoof & Horn from his uncle
In 2015, the word on the street is the Hoof & Horn is for sale

Photo #1 - 1910 photo of the Hoof & Horn
Photo #2 - Modern photo of the Hoof & Horn
Photo #3 - Current photo of Hoof & Horn bar
Photo #4 - Modern photo of the Hoof & Horn
Photo #5 - Modern photo of the Hoof & Horn
Photo #6 - Old photo of the Hoof & Horn bar
Photo #7 - Recent photo taken by David Osgood
Photo #8 - Recent photo taken by David Osgood
Photo #9 - 1930 photo
Photo #10 - Hoof & Horn bar




Circa 1937
SOUTH ST JOSEPH UNION DEPOT
430 Illinois
Circa 1942
SOUTH ST JOSEPH UNION DEPOT
430 Illinois
Circa 1949
SOUTH ST JOSEPH UNION DEPOT
ATSF RAILWAY
430 Illinois
Circa 1949
SOUTH ST JOSEPH UNION DEPOT
CB&Q RAILROAD
430 Illinois





1 2 3

BLUE DIAMOND TAVERN
5927 Lake Avenue

5927 Lake Avenue
Photo #1 submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12

BUCKET SHOP
5225 Lake Avenue

This combination resturant & tavern got it's name from serving beer in buckets
Located near the stock yards & packing houses, it once was a very thriving establishment
They were famous for their beefburgers which are still trying to be copied today
The Southgate at Alabama & King Hill has a very, very close replica of the once famous Bucket Shop Beefburger
The interior shot shows how the resturant side looked until the 1990's before it was remodeled by the new owner, Rusty Hurst
I don't have a picture of the tavern side when it was remodeled
When Rusty Hurst re-opened it, the beefburgers were very close to the original Bucket Shop beefburger except the bun was different
After Rusty Hurst closed the Bucket Shop was closed it sat empty for a few years
In 2004, Eric and Linda Ambrozi leased the Bucket Shop from Rusty Hurst. It was re-opened as Daddy O's, a combination biker bar and resturant
Eric passed away in Dec 2004 and the business was once again sold
In 2010, Boudreaux's Louisiana Sea Food & Steaks opened a restaurant in this building
Even though it was called the same name, it did not have the same menu as their downtown location
In 2011, the business closed and the building is once again empty
All of the old Bucket Shop exterior signs and details have now vanished wiping out all memories of a once great tavern

Photo #1 - The Bucket Shop as it appeared in the 1940's
Photo #2 - The Bucket Shop as it appeared in the 1980's
Photo #3 - The Bucket Shop as it appeared in the 1980's
Photo #4 - The main dining side - the bar side had wooden booths
Photo #5 - An old Bucket Shop advertisement
Photo #6 - A Bucket Shop ashtray
Photo #7 - A Bucket Shop Advertisement
Photo #8 - Bucket Shop birthday gift card
Photo #9 - Current condition of the old Bucket Shop building
Photo #10 - Bucket Shop's kitchen area, the young man is Tim
Photo #11 - Pete Chirila, owner of the Bucket Shop
Photo #12 - Original Bucket Shop advertisement






CARNAGIE CLUB
unknown address

Postcard showing Carnagie Club flowers in a vacant lot




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12

Circa 1901-1902
CARNAGIE LIBRARY
316 Massachusetts

The St. Joseph Public Library, Carnegie Branch, 316 Massachusetts is a one story Classical Revival style building with a full, partially above ground basement.
Of the nation's 2509 libraries funded by Carnegie grants, 24 percent employ the Classical Revival style.
The St. Joseph branch library displays many of the features and attributes of the style, including Ionic columns, hipped roof, centered pediment, and a long flight of stairs at the entry. The buff brick and cut limestone, slate roofed building measures approximately fifty-six by fifty-six feet and is situated in the center of Carnegie Park.
The park has had some modem recreational equipment installed, such as a bicycle rack and temporary shelters; they are not related to the period or area of significance and are not significant in size or scale. The library building retains substantial integrity, despite a 1966-1967 remodeling in which the exterior was sandblasted and tuckpointed.
The basement originally contained a boiler room, restrooms, and two rooms which were used as a smoking and club room for men and boys, who originally spent many winter evenings here around checker boards and chess tables. Due to lack of funding and need for the space, these activities were curtailed.
The larger meeting room is now used to house the children's section. This room contains assorted bookcases plus four original low oak library tables and chairs that were originally in the children's section upstairs. The ceiling in this room has been lowered by means of a suspended acoustical tile ceiling.
The oak woodwork has been painted. The lower section of the walls have been paneled while part of the original plaster wall between the paneling and dropped ceiling is painted. The other rooms are used for storage, but still retain the original oak doors.
A fireproof metal door has been added near the comer. This apparently leads to the furnace room. Entrance to the basement is by a set of 16 wooden steps leading off the left side of the foyer

Photo #1 - Carnagie Library
Photo #2 - Postcard
Photo #3 - Front view of library
Photo #4 - Rear view of library
Photo #5 - Inside view of library
Photo #6 - Carnagie library as it looked in 1902
Photo #7 - Carnagie Library
Photo #8 - Carnagie Library
Photo #9 - Carnagie Library
Photo #10 - Carnagie Library
Photo #11 - Carnagie Library
Photo #12S - Carnagie Library
Photo #1 - submitted by Rodney Keyes






Circa 1925
CENTRAL OIL COMPANY
Station #3
Lake & Cherokee




1 2

Circa 1935
W. R. FEQUAY & CO.
Superba Smokeless Coal
5114 Lake Avenue






Circa 1966
C.I.O. HALL
Lake & Cherokee





Cliff Rivers Plumbing

CLIFF RIVERS PLUMBING
5837 King Hill Avenue

Located at 5837 King Hill Avenue
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Circa 1889
COTTAGE LAWN & GARDEN FENCING
Unknown Address

1889 advertisement






DAIRY QUEEN
4915 King Hill Avenue

Once a popular Dairy Queen, it has been closed for several years
Another business currently occupies the building






DALE STANTON MFA INSURANCE AGENT
5719 Lake Avenue





1 2 3

DANNEN FEED MILL
22nd & Garfield
900 Lower Lake Road

On November 1953, fire destroyed the 7 story Dannen Feed Mill at 22nd & Garfield
A new Dannen Feed Mill was built at 900 Lower Lake Road






DICK SMOCK PHARMACY
6415 King Hill Avenue

A 1977 St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement announcing the new pharmacy location






ST JOSEPH CITY BUS
WYATT PARK-SOUTH
Lake & Cherokee





1 2

Circa 1930
DROVERS & MERCHANTS BANK
301 Cherokee







ECONOMY STORE
6220 Sherman





1 2 3

Circa 1870
Ehrlich Manufacturing
312 W Colorado Avenue

Photo #3 - 1930 City Directory advertisement






Circa 1980
FIREWORKS ADVERTISEMENT

Newspaper advertisement for a fireworks stand located between McBride's Boats & Motors and the Carnation Plant
It was sponsored by the pro-wrestler Thor Hagen and the proceeds to go to New Life Inner City




1 2 3

Circa 1909
FOX'S DEPARTMENT STORE
6112-6114 King Hill Avenue
2102-2104 South 10th Street

There were Fox's Department stores at two locations
Both structures no longer exist






UNKNOWN STATION
South of Galvins on 22nd

Unknown building is located south of Galvin's on South 22nd Street
General Repairs was painted on the building front, this was most likely a service station
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3

GALVIN'S DINNERHOUSE
6802 South 22nd

Galvin's serves great home cooked chicken dinners by reservation only
A fire nearly destroyed Galvin's Dinner House in 2011 and it closed
The iconic restaurant has since been restored and reopened in May 2013

Here is a good review of Galvin's that I found on the Internet:
Not many people know about this unusual restaurant, and its devotees prefer it that way. The restaurant started out as a gas station back in 1940, doing a brisk business selling baskets of fried chicken to locals and bus passengers along Highway 372 en route to Kansas City. Over the years, the chicken stand has turned into a genteel, old-fashioned dining venue now operated by Bill Grace, who literally grew up working here. The specialty is still pan-fried chicken dinners, though there are steaks and pecan-crusted trout, all served family style with soup, salad, muffins, corn, green beans and freshly baked bread. These reasonably priced dinners include a few desserts, but the most famous is a square of baked fudge, which is now ala carte. Like everything else in this quaint little joint, it is well worth it
- Charles Ferruzza


Reservation is required
Galvin's Dinner House hours:
5 to 8:30pm, Tuesday thru Saturday; noon to 5pm on Sundays
Photo #2 - 1957 Advertisement






Circa 1960
GAMBLES
326 Illinois Avenue

Photo - 1960 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3

GETCHELL HOME LAUNDRY & DRY CLEANERS
ST JOSEPH TOWEL & LINEN SERVICE
108-116 North 2nd Street
North 2nd building was demolished during Urban Renewal
ST JOSEPH TOWEL & LINEN SERVICE
Unknown address on King Hill Avenue

Hathon G. Getchell embarked in the laundry business as president of "My Laundry Company" on Seventh Street. The building on 7th Street burned down

Mr Getchell then organized the Getchell Laundry Company, which, in 1913, was consolidated with the Pearl Laundry Company

He operated two plants, one on the corner of Third and Robidoux streets, and the other on King Hill Avenue

Both plants were fully equipped with all the most modern appliances for doing first-class laundrying and dry cleaning

Both plants were up-to-date in every respect, and both use auto delivery wagons
In 1952, it became St Joseph Towel & Linen Service
St Joseph Towel & Linen was in business from until 4/18/1988




1 2

Circa 1940
HAWKINS GAS STATION
Howard Hawkins
6401 Memorial Highway
Circa 1951
HAWKINS GAS STATION
Howard Hawkins
6401 Memorial Highway
Circa 1958
HAWKINS MOTEL
Howard Hawkins
6401 Memorial Highway
Circa 1970
HAWKINS CAFE
Howard Hawkins
6401 Memorial Highway

The motel and cafe are now gone but the station is still operating
The cafe had great food, we thought it was the best breakfast in town
Photo #1 - Hawkins Gas
Photo #2 - Hawkins Motel - Postcard




1 2 3 4 5

HELEN WRINKLE PHARMACY
5409 LAKE AVENUE

The drug store suffered a holdup robbery in 2013






HERSCHEL HILES BARBER SHOP
201 West Missouri

Located at 201 West Missouri

Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes




Circa 1937
HYDE PARK PHARMACY
314 Hyde Park







DAN'S NEW & USED
426 Illinois Avenue

Items for homes, new and used items, great prices




1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9

TRANSIT HOUSE HOTEL
HORSE & MULE MARKET
LIVESTOCK SHOWS
416 Illinois

The Transit House was a hotel built close to the stockyards in 1902
The Transit House was located at 416 Illinois
Horse and mule market is on the right side of photo #1
The Transit Hotel can be seen in the background in several photos
Various livestock shows & sales were also held here
The Transit House no longer exists

Photo #1 - Transit House on the left, harness shop & horse shoeing on the right
Photo #2 - The Transit House
Photo #3 - 1940's stock show
Photo #4 - Livestock show
Photo #5 - Postcard of the Transit House
Photo #6 - Horse sale or show
Photo #7 - Postcard of Livestock & Horse show
Photo #8 - Postcard of Baby Beef sale
Photo #9 - W.F. Davis & True Davis Livestock sellers






C B & Q FREIGHT DEPOT
Illinois Avenue

This is a 1979 photo of CB & Q freight depot located on Illinois Avenue






IMOGENE'S
LITTLE OL' LEATHER SHOPPE
5612 South 14th Street

The building no longer exists




Circa 1920
J. A . SCHROEER COAL COMPANY
5th & Patee





Circa 1920
JOHN D. PRESTON SUPPLY COMPANY
5th & Patee





1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1895
KELSEY NURSERIES
Lake & Alabama
(NW Corner of US 59 Highway & Alabama)
Circa 1917
KELSEY NURSERIES
Lake & Alabama
(NW Corner of US 59 Highway & Alabama)
Circa 1924
KELSEY NURSERIES
Lake & Alabama
(NW Corner of US 59 Highway & Alabama)
Circa 1932
KELSEY NURSERIES
Lake & Alabama
(NW Corner of US 59 Highway & Alabama)
Circa 1933
KELSEY NURSERIES
Lake & Alabama
(NW Corner of US 59 Highway & Alabama)
Circa 1940
KELSEY NURSERIES
Lake & Alabama
(NW Corner of US 59 Highway & Alabama)

Kelsey Nursery Company, (G.L. Welch & Company) from 1895-1943
Kelsey Nurseries no longer exist

Photo #1 - Aerial view of Kelsey Nurseries
Photo #2 - 1917 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1932 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #4 - 1933 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #5 - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #6 - 1924 Kelsey price book cover
Photo #7 - 1924 Aerial photo of Kelsey Nurseries






KEYWOOD'S
411 Illinois Avenue





King Hill Beauty & Barber Shop

KING HILL BEAUTY & BARBER SHOP
5618 King Hill Avenue

Located at 5618 King Hill Avenue
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




KING HILL DRIVE-IN CAFE
3701 King Hill Avenue

The Missourian Tavern replaced this structure






KING HILL LODGE
(ORIGINAL)
King Hill Avenue

Unknown location




1 2 3

KING HILL PLAZA
7000 King Hill Avenue

King Hill Plaza contains Kovac Supermarket, Pizza Hut, a bowling alley and other retail businesses
Kovac's Supermarket closed and Green Hills opened another store at this location

Photo #1 - 1976 newpaper photo of King Hill Plaza
Photo #2 - newspaper advertisement for Kovac's
Photo #3 - Circa 1975




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15

KING HILL OVERLOOK
WATER TOWER & PARK

King Hill is similar to Wyeth Hill in the north part of St Joseph
This park and overlook are where people come to to overlook the southern part of St Joseph

The park is not as large as Wyeth Hill but interesting to visit
A water tower and a large United States flag are the only objects here
King Hill Overlook is 13 acres built on a historic American Indian site
The park is accessed from the Southwest Parkway, there is only one entrance
One a clear day one can see Wyeth Hill from the top of King Hill

HOW TO GET TO THE KING HILL OVERLOOK & PARK
Coming from Hyde Park - go north on Southwest Parkway past Benton High School. Continue north on the parkway to King Hill Drive which is at the junction of Mansfield Road. Turn left (west) onto King Hill drive, cross over a bridge and continue up a winding road
The overlook will be at the end of this road

Photo #1 - old photo of the water tower & huge flag on top of the hill
Photo #2 - View of South St Joseph
Photo #3 - Postcard with view of South St Joseph
Photo #11 - 1960 photo
Photo #12 - Overview of South St Joseph, stockyards and packing houses
Photo #13 - 1945 Overview of the stockyards and packing houses
Photo #15 - 1950s - family visiting the overlook
Photo #4-9 - David Osgood took a drive up to the top of the King Hill Overlook







Circa 1950's
KING HILL VIADUCT
6th Street-King Hill Avenue





Kirschner Elementary School

KIRSCHNER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Northeast Corner Collins & Vernon

Kirschner School closed in 1965
The students were sent to Lake Contrary School






KNOPINSKIS BAR & CAFE
431 Illinois Avenue







KODRAK'S CAFE
6211 King Hill Avenue







Circa 1947
KORAL'S ARMY STORES
320 Illinois





1 2

Circa 1958
SAFEWAY GROCERY STORE
118 Cherokee
Circa 1958
SAFEWAY STORES PARKING LOT
120-124 Cherokee
WONDER BREAD THRIFT STORE
King Hill & Cherokee
HOSTESS BAKERY THRIFT STORE
King Hill & Cherokee

This building no longer exists. It was razed in 2016 to make room for a new Wesley Center building
Photo #2 submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2

Circa 1949
KURTZ FLORAL
124 Cherokee
Circa 1958
KURTZ FLORAL
124 Cherokee

Photo #1 - 1949 St Joseph News Press Advertisement
Photo #2 - 1951 St Joseph News Press Advertisement






Years of operation: 1961-Present
LAKE CONTRARY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Alabama & Diagonal

Years of operation: 1961-Present
Alabama & Diagonal






Years of operation: 1889-1930
LAKE STATION ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
6800 Diagonal Road

Years of operation: 1889-1930
6800 Diagonal Road
School was closed in 1965, Students sent to Lake Contrary School




1 2 3

Circa 1949
LAKE VIEW DRIVE-IN
6106 Lake Avenue
Circa 1951
LAKE VIEW DRIVE-IN
6106 Lake Avenue
Circa 1953
LAKE VIEW DRIVE-IN
6106 Lake Avenue
Circa 1957
MAREK'S FINE FOODS & LIQUORS
6106 Lake Avenue

Structure is now gone
Photo #3 - 1950 St Joseph News Press advertisement






LARABEE MILLS
900 LAKE AVENUE





MARTIE HARDWARE & SUPPLY STORE
6209 King Hill Avenue







Circa 1953
MFA COOP
429 Cherokee






Circa 1963
McBRIDE'S BOATS & MOTORS
Lower Lake Road

McBride's Boats & Motors was located near Lake Contrary
Mrs. John McBride shown in the News Press photo




1 2

MFA FEED MILL
429 Cherokee

Located at 429 Cherokee
Photo #2 - Circa: 1950's






Circa 1933
MISSOURI DRY CLEANING COMPANY
5111 Lake Avenue

Photo - 1933 St Joseph News Press advertisement




Circa 1937
NELSON PHARMACY
102 West Missouri
Circa 1954
NELSON PHARMACY
102 West Missouri







Circa 1981
PALMER'S HEATING & AIRCONDITIONING
6545 Washington Street

Photo - 1981 St Joseph News Press advertisement




Paradise Donuts1 Paradise Donuts2 Paradise Donuts3

Circa 1889
PEOPLE'S FURNITURE & CARPET COMPANY
Circa 1970's
PARADISE DONUTS
4 ACES BBQ
King Hill Avenue & Missouri

In 1889, People's Furniture opened on the southeast corner of King Hill Avenue & Missouri Avenue
The family-owned furniture store was opened by F.R. Kimber and F.E. Vancil in South St. Joseph
Longtime employee John Furlong purchased the business from Mr. Kimber and Mr. Vancil in 1949
In 1971, Mr. Furlong moved the store to 3603 Frederick Avenue
People's Furniture closed in 2014
In the mid 1970's, this building was home to the Paradise Donut Shop
The 4 Aces BBQ shared the same building with Paradise Donuts
The donut shop, owned by Jan Lloyd, closed somewhere around 1995
Data supplied by Terry Plumb
Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes






Circa 1958
PEPSI-COLA GENERAL BOTTLERS
227-233 Cherokee

Located on the northeast corner of Lake and Cherokee
Currently just a distribution center, they have not bottled soda here for many years




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Circa 1920
BLATZ BEER DISTRIBUTOR
Peter Chirila
5223 Lake Avenue
Circa 1921
PETER CHIRIA SOFT DRINKS
Prohibition Era
5223-5225 Lake Avenue
Circa 1924
VAL BLATZ BREWING COMPANY
5223-5225 Lake Avenue
Circa 1926
PETER CHIRIA SOFT DRINKS
Prohibition Era
5223-5225 Lake Avenue
Circa 1926
PETER CHIRIA SOFT DRINKS
Prohibition Era
5223-5225 Lake Avenue
Circa 1930
JOHN ENGEL SOFT DRINKS
Prohibition Era
5223-5225 Lake Avenue
Circa 1932
MRS SAVETA ENGEL SOFT DRINKS
5223-5225 Lake Avenue
Circa 1933
JOHN ENGEL SOFT DRINKS
5223-5225 Lake Avenue
Circa 1934
JOHN ENGEL SOFT DRINKS
5223-5225 Lake Avenue
Circa 1940
PETER CHIRIA'S BUCKET SHOP
5223 Lake Avenue
Circa 1947
PETER CHIRIA'S BUCKET SHOP
5223 Lake Avenue
Circa 1960
PETER CHIRIA'S BUCKET SHOP
5223 Lake Avenue

This combination resturant & tavern got it's name from serving beer in buckets
Located near the stock yards & packing houses, it once was a very thriving establishment
They were famous for their beefburgers which are still trying to be copied today
The Southgate at Alabama & King Hill had a very, very close replica of the once famous Bucket Shop Beefburger
The interior shot shows how the resturant side looked until the 1990's before it was remodeled by the new owner, Rusty Hurst
I don't have a picture of the tavern side when it was remodeled
When Rusty Hurst re-opened it, the beefburgers were very close to the original Bucket Shop beefburger except the bun was different
After Rusty Hurst closed the Bucket Shop was closed it sat empty for a few years
In 2004, Eric and Linda Ambrozi leased the Bucket Shop from Rusty Hurst. It was re-opened as Daddy O's, a combination biker bar and resturant
Eric passed away in Dec 2004 and the business was once again sold
In 2010, Boudreaux's Louisiana Sea Food & Steaks opened a restaurant in this building
Even though it was called the same name, it did not have the same menu as their downtown location
In 2011, the business closed and the building is once again empty
All of the old Bucket Shop exterior signs and details have now vanished wiping out all memories of a once great tavern

Photo #1 - The Bucket Shop as it appeared in the 1940's
Photo #2 - The Bucket Shop as it appeared in the 1980's
Photo #3 - The Bucket Shop as it appeared in the 1980's
Photo #4 - the bar side had wooden booths, you could also eat in the bar side
Photo #5 - An old Bucket Shop advertisement
Photo #6 - A Bucket Shop ashtray
Photo #7 - A Bucket Shop Advertisement
Photo #8 - Bucket Shop birthday gift card
Photo #9 - Current condition of the old Bucket Shop building
Photo #10 - original Bucket Shop's kitchen area, Tim, a friend's brother
Photo #11 - Pete Chirila, owner of the Bucket Shop
Photo #12 - Original Bucket Shop advertisement
Photo #13 - 1920 Blatz Newspress advertisement






PIZZA ROYAL
5327 Lake Avenue

Located at 5327 Lake Avenue
Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes






POOR'S APPLIANCE SHOP
203 West Missouri Avenue

Located at 203 West Missouri Avenue
Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes






Circa 1958
US POST OFFICE
Lake Avenue & Cherokee

The post office was remodeled in 1958
Photo - 1958 St Joseph News Press photograph






Circa 1980
Red Stone Lumber
326 Illinois


Photo - Red Stone remodeled in 1981






Circa 1980
SAM CHURCH FLOOR SURFACING
217 West Hyde Park







Circa 1924
THE NATIONAL HALL BUILDING

Circa 1954
SLUMBER SHOP FURNITURE
5617 Lake Avenue






Circa 1961
ST JOSEPH CLEANERS
308 Illinois







ST JOSEPH FISH HATCHERY
Tucker Street







Circa: 1887-1898
STOCK YARD EXCHANGE BUILDING

This was the orginal Stock Yard Exchange Building
It was located on the west end of Missouri Avenue




1 2

Circa 1950
ST JOSEPH FEED & SUPPLY CO.
232 Packers Avenue

Photo #2 - 1950 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2

Circa: 1899
ST JOSEPH STOCK YARDS COMPANY
601 Illinois Avenue

Photo #1 is an 1899 advertisement
Photo #2 is an 1967 advertisement






Circa: 1899
ST JOSEPH LIVE STOCK COMMISSION
601 Illinois Avenue

The photo is an 1899 advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25

Circa 1898
ST JOSEPH LIVESTOCK EXCHANGE
601 Illinois Avenue

The Livestock Exchange Building is located at 601 Illinois Avenue. The building was designed by noted Missouri architech, Edmond J. Eckel and was constructed in 1898-1899 contractor, Phillip P. Buddy, for the St Joseph Stockyards Company
It is a monumental, four story, red brick and stone building with Neo-Classical Revival ornamentation
Once the crown jewel in the vast complex of stockyards and packing houses on the south side of St Joseph, the Livestock Exchange Building served as the center of activity for St Joseph's substantial railroad, livestock and meatpacking interests. Although the building has suffered years of neglect and deferred maintenance, it is remarkably intact and is in the process of being considered for restoration or razing
This building replaced the older Livestock Exchange Building on Missouri Avenue
Photo #8 - 1902 List of businesses within the Exchange building






Circa 1911
STOCK YARDS BANK
Stockyards Exchange Building


Photo - Circa 1911, interior view of the bank




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

ST JOSEPH STOCK YARDS

The Producers Livestock Marketing Association, formed in 1/28/1931 owned most of the cattle pens at the St Joseph Stockyards
When Armour & Swift packing houses moved out of town, most of the pens were destroyed
The sheep & hog barns were the last to be razed

Photo #1 - 1955 view of the stockyards
Photo #2 - 1908 view of the stockyards
Photo #3 - 1953 taken from King Hill
Photo #4 - Postcard - The Cattle Pens
Photo #5 - Photo taken from King Hill
Photo #6 - 1920's view of South St Joseph
Photo #7 - 1981 Stock yard auction
Photo #8 - Cattle pens in 1960
Photo #9 - Postcard
Photo #10 - Overview of the stockyards
Photo #11 - Overview of the stockyards
Photo #12 - Postcard - the Cattle pens
Photo #13 - 1934 aerial view of the stockyards
Photo #14 - 1906 Postcard
Photo #15 - Stock Pens
Photo #16 - Stock Pens
Photo #17 - June 1956 Stock Pens
Photo #18 - 1909 Postcard showing stock yards
Photo #19 - The Hog Barns
Photo #20 - 1920 St Joseph Stock Yards
Photo #21 - 1911 Stockyards
Photo #22 - Overview showing packing houses and pens at a distance
Photo #23 - Overview showing packing houses and pens at a distance
Photo #24 - 1955 St Joseph News Press photograph






Circa 1920's
STOCKYARDS & PACKING HOUSES




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

LOVERS LANE MEATS
SEITZ LOVERS LANE
SEITZ SAUSAGE WORKS
SEITZ PACKING COMPANY
SEITZ FOODS INC
4th & WALNUT
4501 PACKERS AVENUE

By 1921, Seitz was located at 15th & Garfield Ave
Alfred J Seitz was president of St Joseph Sausage Works at 2402 South 5th Street
Seitz later operated at both locations
See photo #1 - As early as 1919, this was Seitz Packing, a beef kill facility located on Garfield Avenue, just east of Quaker Oats - see the 1919 map in photo #9
The Seitz sausage plant, hot dogs and luncheon meats was located at 5th & Walnut
Seitz Foods was a privately owned meat processor that sold its luncheon meats and hot dogs in 12 Midwestern states
This structure was replaced in later years with a brick building
In the early 50's a new Seitz beef kill plant was built at the Packers Avenue site
In the early 80's the Sausage Plant at 4th and Walnut was closed and moved to the Packers Avenue location
At this time beef kill was suspended
The name change from Lovers Lane Meats to Seitz was started in mid to late 1967. It was Seitz Lovers Lane and later Lovers Lane was dropped from the name
E. Y. Lingle and Garland Wilson gained control of the company when Mr. Seitz committed suicide at the 4th and Walnut plant
Seitz would later be owned by Doug Esson
In 1987 Doug Esson sold the plant to Sara Lee
Somewhere along the line, the name was changed to Seitz Foods
In 2000, Sara Lee sold the Lower Lake Road plant
The personel and operations were moved to the new plant located in the new industrial Mitchell Park and called it St Joseph Foods
The old original Seitz had the best hot dogs, hot polish sausages and cold cuts in Northwest Missouri
Their products are still missed today
List of items they made:
FRESH DRESSED BEEF-CARCASS; FRESH DRESSED BEEF-CUTS; CHILI CON CARNE; PICKLE AND PIMIENTO LOAF; MACARONI AND CHEESE LOAF; SPICED LOAF; LIVER CHEESE; SALAMI; BOLOGNA; LUNCHEON SPECIALTY SAUSAGE; BONELESS COOKED HAM; PURE PORK SAUSAGE-IN BAG; PURE PORK SAUSAGE-IN CELLOPHANE ROLL; FRANKFURTERS, SKINLESS; POLISH SAUSAGE, H.C; BOCKWURST; SMOKED TENDER HAM
One of their famous slogans was S-E-I-T-Z spells HOT DOG!
There are new SEITZ meat products on the market today in 2012 but they are not the old original Seitz products
Lovers Lane meat items were made by Seitz Packing Company




So St Joe Police Substation

SOUTH ST JOSEPH POLICE SUBSTATION
201 Cherokee

Located at 201 Cherokee
Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes






Circa 1950
SOUTH SIDE SHOE SHOP
306 Illinois Avenue

Photo - 1950 St Joseph News Press advertisement






STOCK YARDS BANK
Stockyards
Unknown address

Photo - Circa 1911, interior view of the bank




1 2

Circa 1939
STOCKYARDS FARMER'S STORE
311 Cherokee
Circa 1961
STOCKYARDS FARMER'S STORE
311 Cherokee

Photo #1 - 1939 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1961 St Joseph News Press advertisement




Sugar Bowl Confections

SUGAR BOWL CONFECTONS
630 Carnagie

Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes





1 2 3

SUTHERLAND LUMBER COMPANY
505 Illinois

Sutherland Lumber was a very popular lumber company for many years





1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Circa 1899
SWIFT & COMPANY PACKING HOUSE
Stockyards Expressway

Photo #1 - 1943 photo of Swift Packing House
Photo #2 - Photo of a photo of Swift & stockyards
Photo #3 - 1906 photo of Swift's Prize horse team
Photo #4 - Swift's Pork dressing department
Photo #5 - Names of Swift workers in photo #4
Photo #6 - Swift wagon
Photo #7 - 1934 photo of Swift Hog Dressing Department
Photo #8 - 1934 Swift & Co Packing House "Dry Salt" department employees
Photo #9 - 1899 Swift advertisement
Photos 4 & 5 submitted by Judith Kaelin




Circa 1937
TURNER'S KING HILL PHARMACY
101 West Missouri Avenue
Circa 1954
TURNER DRUG STORE
101 West Missouri Avenue





Union Workers Of America

UNION WORKERS OF AMERICA
LOCAL 58
316 Massachusetts

Located at 316 Massachusetts
Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes






Circa 1952
UPCO
UNITED PHARMACAL COMPANY, INC
306 Cherokee

Photo - 1981 News Press Advertisement






W. E. GILBERT - EXPERT HORSESHOER
5017 Lake Avenue







Circa 1920
W. R. FEUQUAY COAL COMPANY
5114 Lake Avenue
Circa 1935
W. R. FEUQUAY & COMPANY
Coal, Feed & Ice
5114 Lake Avenue





Weis School

WEIS SCHOOL
Lake Contrary Beach

Was located northeast of Lake Contrary Beach by River Levy
Later moved further south on Lake Contrary







Circa 1961
WOMACH AUTOMOTIVE SALES
5106 Lake Avenue






PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu