index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind
LISTED HERE NUMERICALLY FROM MAIN STREET TO GRAND AVENUE


MAIN STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1920's
ST JOSEPH AVENUE







Circa 1954
AERIAL VIEW OF ST JOSEPH AVENUE

1954 newspaper photo of St Joseph Avenue
The old car barns are visible center left



ALBEMARLE STREET INTERSECTS




D & S USED CARS
1501 St Joseph Avenue




J & W MOTORS
1502 St Joseph Avenue




SPORTSMAN'S CLUB
GLENN'S MARKET
1506 St Joseph Avenue

In 1953, the Sportsman's Club was at this address




WISE GROCERY
1508 St Joseph Avenue




1 2 3

Circa 1930
CONSER LAUNDRY & PEARL NUWAY
DRY CLEANERS
1512-1520 St Joseph Avenue

Both Conser Laundry and Pearl Nuway are no longer in business
Photo #1 - Advertisement for Conser & Pearl Nuway
Photo #2 - Pearl Nuway Dry Cleaners was located in at 1516 St Joseph Avenue
Photo #3 - 1930 Pearl Nuway St Joseph Gazette photograph






SPORTMAN'S CLUB
1514 St Joseph Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Circa 1955
BRUNS PARK IN RESTAURANT
Circa 1963
VAN GUNDY'S PARK INN
1527 St Joseph Avenue




BRAOWN'S SERVICE STATION
1528 St Joseph Avenue



MIDDLETON STREET INTERSECTS



FRANKS MOBILGAS SERVICE STATION
St Joseph Ave & Middleton




Anderson

HISKEY BROTHERS SERVICE STATION
ANDERSON STANDARD
KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN
TACO BANDITO
1601 St Joseph Avenue

1601 St Joseph Avenue
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




Fred Henze Shoe Shop

FRED HENZE SHOE SHOP
1602 St Joseph Avenue

Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes




Doris Beauty Land

DORIS BEAUTY LAND
1604 St Joseph Avenue/td>

Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes




CLAY SALE TRUCKING COMPANY
1610 St Joseph Avenue




EDWARD PAUL CARPENTER
1611 St Joseph Avenue




Years in operation: 1894-1940
LINCOLN COLORED SCHOOL
1623 St. Joseph Ave

Years in operation: 1894-1940
The old school was destroyed by fire
A new school was constructed in 1940




Lincoln Colored School

Years in operation: 1940-1954
NEW LINCOLN COLORED SCHOOL
1623 St. Joseph Ave

Years in operation: 1940-1954
Photo Circa 1940's
A new school was built here in the 1940's
The school no longer exists, part of the VFW hall is now at this location



PENDLETON STREET INTERSECTS



1 2 3 4

VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS (VFW)
BACKDOOR EMPORIUM & AUCTION HOUSE
1701 St Joseph Avenue

For many years this was the VFH hall where you could eat, drink and dance
They had a great breakfast for a very low cost
The VFW closed down some years ago and the building has been sitting empty
Mark Puckett purchased the building in 2012 and opened an antique store and an auction house at the location




J R MILLER SERVICE STATON
1702 St Joseph Avenue






Circa 1940
CAUFIELD BEVERAGE COMPANY
1708 St Joseph Avenue




OWENS MOTORS
1720 St Joseph Avenue




L B PRICE MERCHANDISE COMPANY
1722 St Joseph Avenue




Norris Drug Store

NORRIS DRUG STORE
1722 St Joseph Avenue



RICHARDSON STREET INTERSECTS



1 2 3

Circa 1911
BERNHARD WITT BAKERY
(aka BENNY WITT BAKERY)
WITT CONFECTIONERS
FISH BOWL TAVERN
B. WITT TAX SERVICE
1802 St Joseph Avenue

Bernhard Witt in front of his bakery with 2 of his 3 children
Marie (Witt) Sauer and her brother Bernard (Bennie)
The Witt's were bakers by family trade and operated one of 3 bakeries in the village of Niederhausen, Germany
(now known a Rheinhausen on the banks of the Rhine River in the Black Forest region).
Bernhard Witt followed his trade with his immigration to the United States
At some point, likely needing to work more normal day-time hours, Mr Witt changed the bakery business to the Fish Bowl Tavern.
The 1802 St. Joseph Avenue address served at least 3 businesses over the years as Bernard Jr (he dropped the "h" in Bernhard) operated a Tax Preparation/CPA/Notary business at this location
Bernard Jr was also a promoter who brought a variety of concerts and shows to St. Joseph
The above information was submitted by John Sauer
(Great grandson of Bernhard Witt)

Photo #1 - Circa 1911
Photo #2 - Circa 1911
Photo #3 - Circa 2011




BECKER MOTOR COMPANY
1803-1809 St Joseph Avenue






SHAMROCK BAR
1805 St Joseph Avenue

This was built after 1953
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Circa 1899
STAUBER DRUG COMPANY
LAST ROUND-UP TAVERN
1810 St Joseph Avenue




niemann Grocery

NIEMANN A-G GROCERY
1826 St Joseph Avenue

1826 St Joseph Avenue
William T Niemann proprietor
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




SLIM'S BARBER SHOP
1827 St Joseph Avenue




VOGUE BEAUTY SHOP
1827 St Joseph Avenue



WOODSON STREET INTERSECTS





BURTON'S APCO SERVICE
CULVER'S APCO SERVICE
HARRY CROUSE USED CARS
1901 St Joseph Avenue

Listed as Burton's in 1950 city directory
Listed as Culver's in 1970 city directory




US POST OFFICE
STATION E
1902 St Joseph Avenue




ALFRED BENTRUP PRINTING COMPANY
1904 St Joseph Avenue




DOUGAN & DOUGAN A-G
1904 St Joseph Avenue




BRADY FLEMING OSTEOPATH
1906 St Joseph Avenue




Circa 1921
BEE HIVE STORE
1914 St Joseph Avenue




WILSON MOTORS
1920 St Joseph Avenue




Davis Auto

TEEGARDEN AUTO SERVICE
DAVIS AUTO
1925 St Joseph Avenue

In 1953, this was Teegarden Auto Service
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3

BANK OF NORTH ST JOSEPH
Circa 1950
HAYNIE & WATKINS JEWELERS
1928 St Joseph Avenue

Before and now photos of the same structure
In 1950, the Jewelry company was located inside the bank
Photo #3 - 1950 St Joseph News Press advertisement





JEFFERSON STREET INTERSECTS



1 2

CHEZ DON'S COCKTAIL LOUNGE
MASSEY'S BBQ
2000 St Joseph Avenue

Chez Don's was owned & operated by Don Blevins
Don Blevins also had a car lot across the street from the lounge
Massey BBQ was here in later years, unfortunately Mr Massey died and the best BBQ in town died with him
Numerous businesses have occupied the building since Massey




CHURCH SUPPLY COMPANY
2002 St Joseph Avenue




HUMMER DRY GOODS
2004 St Joseph Avenue






Circa 1929
WILLIAMS HARDWARE COMPANY
2005 St Joseph Aveue





SCHULTZ PLUMBING & HEATING
2006 St Joseph Avenue




LIBERTY SILENT MOVIE THEATER
2007 St Joseph Avenue

Known to be in operation September 12, 1920
Edward A Brondridge was the owner
The 2007 directory has that address being Floyds Alibi Lounge
2007 St Joseph Avenue would have been directly across the street from the Regal Theater
Information submitted by Terry Plumb




AGNEW APPLIANCE SERVICE
2007 St Joseph Avenue






BOTTOMS UP BAR & GRILL
2007 St Joseph Avenue

Photo taken in 2013 by Rodney Keyes




BURTON AUCTION COMPANY
2009 St Joseph Avenue




1 2 3 4 5


REGAL THEATER
2010 St Joseph Avenue

Pallace Theater opened on Thursday, December 21,1922
Movie Shown: Song of Life
Last date the Regal was open: Saturday, June 7, 1961
Last shows played:
William Holden in The World of Suzie Wong
Virgilio Teixeira in The Boy Who Stole A Million
Regal Theater on St Joseph Avenue
across from the Bottoms Up Bar & Grill
They had the best candy selection in town




Palace

REORGANIZED CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS
PALACE SILENT MOVIE THEATER
FOXY'S HAIR DEN
2018 St Joseph Avenue

In 1915, the Palace Theater moved to 2018 St Joseph Avenue
Foxy's Hair Den currently occupies this address
Note the very narrow staircase on the left side of the photo
According to 1953 city directory, the church occupied this building
It is unknown if the church was located upstairs or downstairs
Photo taken on Aug 11, 2013







Circa 1891
F. J. VEY & COMPANY
2019 St Joseph Avenue




HARRY CROUSE MOTORS
2021 St Joseph Avenue




BASKET STORES GROCERY
2022 St Joseph Avenue




RIX & COMPANY BUILDING SPECIALTIES
2025 St Joseph Avenue






Veraguth & Moskau
2026 St Joseph Avenue





GREENS BARBER SHOP
2028 St Joseph Avenue




1 2 3 4 5 6

BROWN BEAR TAVERN
2028 St Joseph Avenue

The Brown Bear Tavern was established in 1899 and is still in business in 2014

Photos #1 & 6 - submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photo #2 - Circa 1955 - submitted by Jeff Lewis
Photos #3-5 - taken in 2013 by David Osgood



FILMORE STREET INTERSECTS


GRAND AVENUE INTERSECTS



1 2 3 4 5 6 7

GRAND AVENUE BRIDGE
Grand Ave & St Joseph Ave

Old photos of the Grand Avenue bridge
The railroad tracks below are now gone along with the bridge
The bridge was deemed unsafe and it was removed some time in the early 1990's




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

FIRST WARD HOUSE
FIRST WARD TAVERN
2101 St Joseph Avenue

2101 St Joseph Avenue
The First Ward House first opened in 1878
Originally, the upstairs was a hotel and the lower section was a saloon
For decades, the upstairs doubled as a brothel
The First Ward House is one of the oldest bars west of the Mississippi River and it is still in operation
The building is located on the northeast corner of Grand Avenue and St Joseph Avenue
In the 1950's, bricks from the top 2 floors were used to reconstruct the Pony Express Stables
Over the years, the building became very dilapidated and was in danger of being torn down
In 1998, a new owner totally remodeled the old structure and appears to be doing a prosperous business
The Grand Avenue bridge in the background once spanned Chicago Northwestern tracks
A newer bridge had replaced the old, but now the tracks & bridge are both gone, as well as the hill as seen in a few photos

Photo #1 - The Grand Avenue bridge in the background once spanned Chicago Northwestern tracks
Photo #2 - 1900 interior photo
Photo #3 - submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photos #9-12 taken in 2013 by David Osgood




EDDIES SPORTING GOODS
2101 St Joseph Avenue

In 1953, Eddies Sporting goods also resided in the First Ward building




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu