Chez Don's was owned & operated by Don Blevins|
Don Blevins also had a car lot across the street from the lounge
Massey BBQ was here in later years, unfortunately Richard Massey died and the best BBQ in town died with him
Richard Massey also worked at Wire Rope at the time
Numerous businesses have occupied the building since Massey's BBQ
This building no longer exists. Around 6 p.m. on March 17, 2015, a malfunctioning electronic smoker caused the First Ward's bar and music venue’s
deck to catch fire, spreading fire throughout the building at 2101 St. Joseph Ave.
Floating ashes caught this building on fire
Within minutes, pictures and video of the building’s massive blaze flooded social media.
Shortly after, fundraising efforts on sites like GoFundMe encouraged people to donate to cover
the costs of repairing the fire damage. A giant concert, titled “Save The First Ward House,”
helped raise about $15,000 for the rebuilding project.
Nine months later, the bar has re-opened and business is still recovering.
This building and another burned down when the First Ward fire occured.
Hot ashes drifed from a block away onto the structures
Only an empty grassy lot remains