Search St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
NOTE: Does not work for DECEASED CLASSMATES
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind



Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

LISTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER



1 2

Years of Office 1860-1993
ST JOSEPH SCHOOL DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENTS






Circa 1930
COMPLETE LIST OF ALL ST JOSEPH SCHOOLS

This is a complete list of St Joseph schools in 1930






HOW THE SCHOOLS GOT THEIR NAMES

Did you ever wonder where our schools got their names?






Years of operation: 1871-1874
ANGELIQUE PRIMARY
15th & Angelique

Years of operation: 1871-1874
Was also called Fifteenth St. Primary
Location: Southwest Corner 15th & Angelique






Years of operation: Sept 1905-Nov 1905
BENTON HIGH SCHOOL
King Hill & Colorado

Years of operation: Sept 1905-Nov 1905
Location: King Hill & Colorado
Rented Upper Floor and continued to use as gym for a few years




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Years of operation: 1905-1940
BENTON HIGH SCHOOL
Harvard & Cumberland

Years of operation: 1905-1940
Location: Harvard & Cumberland
This was the 1st Benton High School
It was completed in 1907 to serve South St Joseph
The building cost $91,000 to build
It was replaced in the 1940's with a new school

Photo #1 - Original Benton High School
Photo #2 - 1910 aerial photo of Benton High School
Photo #3 - 1934 Benton High School
Photo #4 - Benton High School
Photo #5 - 1917 postcard
Photo #6 - Aerial view of the original Benton High School




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Years of operation: 1940 to Present
BENTON HIGH SCHOOL
5655 South 4th Street

Years of operation: 1940 to Present
The high school is located at 5655 South 4th Street
On January 7, 1971 the gymasium collapsed, a new gym was built

Photo #1 - 2000 photo
Photo #2 - 2000 photo
Photo #3 - 2000 photo
Photo #4 - 2001 photo
Photo #5 - 2013 photo
Photo #6 - 2013 photo
Photo #7 - 01/07/1971 newspaper photo when the gym collapsed
Photo #8 - 01/07/1971 newspaper photo when the gym collapsed
Photo #9 - Before Benton's gym collapsed
Photo #10 - 2000 Photo
Photo #11 - 1969 benton handbook cover
Photos #5, 6 taken in 2013 by David Osgood




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Years of operation: 1907-1980
BLAIR ELEMENTY SCHOOL
Years of operation: 1990-Present
TROESTER MEDIA CENTER
34th & Renick

Years of operation: 1907-1980
Location: 34th & Renick
Presently it is Troester Media Center

Photo #3 - 1957-1958 6th grade field trip
Photo #7 - 1953 Blair 3rd Grade class photo
Photo #8 - 1957 Grade 1
Photo #9 - 1956 Kindergarten
Photo #10 - 1940 Blair School fire
Photo #2 & 3 submitted by Terry McGinnis
Photo #4 - submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photos #5 & 6 taken in 2013 by David Osgood




Board of Education

Years of operation: 1901-Present
BOARD OF EDUCATION
Tenth & Felix Streets

Years of operation: 1901-Present
Tenth & Felix Sts
The School District Offices are in the St Joseph Public Library




Board of Education

Photo: circa 1960
BOARD OF EDUCATION
District Office
Tenth & Felix Streets

Photo: circa 1960
L-R Geo. Blackwell, Max Coleman, Betty Knepper




1 2 3 4 5 6 7


Circa 2013
CARDEN PARK SCHOOL
14th & Duncan

Some years ago, the city escavated & removed Devil's Backbone
In it's place, the city created a new city park called Carden Park
The city later decided to build a new school at that location
During 2013, Carden Park School began construction
My wife and I decided to see where the new school was being constructed
It took us a while to find where this new school is being built
The area is fairly surrounded by narrow and hilly streets
Maybe the city will widen the streets by the time the school is ready to open
EASY DIRECTIONS TO THE NEW SCHOOL SITE:
Go to 22nd & Duncan, then go west on Duncan to 14th & Duncan
At 14th & Duncan, the new school will be visible on the southwest corner
Photos #1-6 were taken on October 1, 2013




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Years of operation: 1933 to Present
CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL
26th & Edmond

Years of operation at this location: 1933 to Present
Central High School is one of the oldest high schools west of the Mississippi River
It was established as St. Joseph High School on May 8, 1895 at 13th & Olive Street
The high school at 13th & Olive opened on May 6, 1896
In 1910, St Joseph High School was renamed Central High School
In 1932, a new Central High School was erected at 26th & Edmond Street
With a rapidly growing student population, the building was expanded in 1961 with a 24-room addition, called the Sophomore Annex
In 1968, a 25-room addition known as the Freshman Annex was added
In 2002, a bond-renovation project was completed that included relocation and centralization of the administrative and counseling offices, as well as the addition of a new media center and library, a gym renovation, and science lab upgrades
This is the largest of St Joseph's high schools

Photo #6 - Salvage drive for scrap metal during WWII
Photo #7 - Recent photo of Central as viewed from Noyes Boulevard
Photo #8 - Noyes Field's brand new 2012 Press Box
Photo #9 - 1939 winter photo
Photo #11 - Old postcard - aerial view of Central HS and athletic field
Photo #19 - 1961 CHS Pep Squad
Photo #31 - 1946 aerial view of CHS taken from 1946 Wakitan
Photo #32 - 1994 photo
Photo #33 - Artist conception by Paul N Norton
Photo #34 - 1939 High Ranking Boy and Girl (so nicely dressed)
Photo #35 - A Central High School Annex
Photo #36 - 2013 Aerial view
Photo #37 - North side school exit, steps to Edmond existed
Photo #38 - North side school exit now, steps removed, fence installed for student's safety
Many color photos taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Some photos submitted by Terry McGinnis & Carol Stephens




1 2 3 4 5

Years of operation: 1885-1888
COLORED HIGH SCHOOL
20th & Frederick
Years of operation: 1888-1954
BARTLETT HIGH SCHOOL
18th & Angelique

Years of operation: 1888-1954
Grades 1-12
An average of 200 Students attented Barlett
Bartlett High School began in 1885 and was called the Colored High School
It was located in a rented room at 20th Street and Frederick Avenue
In 1888, the school was moved to a new building at 18th and Angelique
In 1904 it was officially renamed to Bartlett High School
The school was located at 18th & Angelique




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 22 23 24 25 26 27

Years of operation: 1858-1960
CONVENT OF THE SACRED HEART
12th & Angelique

The Convent of the Sacred Heart was the first Catholic school in St. Joseph, Mo. The "Academy of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart" received its charter from the Missouri legislature on December 13, 1855.
In 1901, at the request of Bishop Burke, the Sacred Heart opened Cathedral School for elementary students.
In 1920 the Convent opened at 12th and Messanie as a day school
The Sacred Heart nuns left Cathedral School and the Benedictines took over its operation as an elementary school.
The Convent of the Sacred Heart High School celebrated its centennial in 1953 with a two-week long observation.
The St. Joseph News-Press announced the opening of the celebration in its April 26, 1953 edition.
That same year the Sacred Heart order expressed to the bishop a desire to leave St. Joseph, but he declined their request.
Nuns were needed to teach in their colleges and the order was having difficulty covering the difference between tuition and the actual cost to educate.
In 1959 the Benedictine nuns agreed to open a new girls' high school and the Convent was allowed to close.
There were 60 girls in the final graduating class in 1960 -- the 104th commencement for the school.

Location history
The first Convent building was located on 4th Street and it proved to be inadequate, so land was purchased on 12th Street, between Angelique and Messanie
Construction began in 1857 and the new school was ready by 1858
A north wing was added in 1884 and it housed a new chapel
A south wing was added in 1890 providing more space for dorms and study halls
An all girls high school was added in 1904
In 1960 the educational guidelines of the diocese had changed and the school closed
The Convent building was razed in 1965
In 1970, Bishop LeBlond High School at 36th & Frederick Avenue took it's place becoming co-educational with the closing of Christian Brothers
A large government housing apartment complex now occupies the location

Photo #4 - a view of the Chapel
Photo #6 - The east walk
Photo #12 - The Convent in 1881
Photo #13 - 1947 photo
Photo #18 - 1906 postcard
Photo #19 - 1910 photo of the Convent
Photo #22 - Class of 1943
Photo #23 - Class of 1955
Photo #24 - Class of 1960
Photo #25 - Chandelier in the Reverend Mother's Parlor
Photo #26 - Chandelier in the Reverend Mother's Parlor
Photo #27 - Sacred Heart Convent Chapel altar ca 1920s Artcrafts Engraving photo




Deer Park Education Center

DEER PARK EDUCATION CENTER
2309 Deer Park Drive





Douglas Colored School

Years of operation: 1929-1954
DOUGLAS COLORED SCHOOL
Russell & Barbara

Years of operation: 1929-1954
Was located at Russell & Barbara
Presently this is the Tes-Trams Club






ELECTRIC CITY BUSINESS COLLEGE
7th & Edmond

This was a shorthand business college before the 1940's, circa unknown




Eleventh Street Primary

Years of operation: 1870
ELEVENTH STREET PRIMARY
Eleventh & Pacific

Years of operation: 1870
Eleventh & Pacific




Eugene Field Elementary

Years of operation: 1900-1933
EUGENE FIELD ELEMENTARY
16th & Sacramento

Years of operation: 1900-1933
16th & Sacramento






Years of operation: 1868-1871
EVERETT BRANCH
PATEE MARKET ELEMENTARY
12th & Olive

Years of operation: 1868-1871
A room was rented in this Patee Market Building
Everett Annexed at Olive at Twelfth Street
Wood Frame 1871-1902
Brick 1880-1908






Years of operation: 1868-1908
EVERETT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
12th & Olive

Years of operation: 1868-1908
Olive at Twelfth Streets
Originally this was the Fifth Ward School
Photo circa 1882




Years of operation: 1908-1985
EVERETT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
14th & OLIVE STREET

Years of operation: 1908-1985
14th & Olive Streets

A B C D E F G H I

CLASS PHOTOS BELOW WERE SUBMITTED BY DOUG HOWARD

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Photo H - 1965 5th Grade class photo
Photo I - 1953 class photo
Photo D - J. Everett Bishop, once principal of Everett School
Photo #1 - 1949-1950 1st Grade Class (Rose Sweeney)
Photo #2 - 1950-1951 2nd Grade Class (Addie Brown)
Photo #3 - 1954-1955 6th Grade Class (Mrs Poteet)
Photo #4 - 1955-1956 7th Grade Class (Mr McFadin)
Photo #5 - 1955-1956 7th Grade Christmas Play
Photo #6 - 1952-1953 8th Grade Class (Mr Evans & Mr Hays)
Photo #7 - 1949-1950 1st Grade Class (Mrs Toole)
Photo #8 - 1951-1952 3rd Grade Class (Mrs Fletcher)
Photo #9 - 1955-1956 7th & 8th Grades (Mrs Hummer)
Photo #10 - 1954-1955 7th Grade Class (Mr McFaden)
Photo #11 - 1954-1955 5th & 6th Grades (Miss Thompson)
Photo #12 - 1953-1954 5th & 6th Grades (Miss Thompson)
Photo #13 - 1952-1953 3rd & 4th Grades (Mrs Hiatt)
Photo #14 - 1951-1952 3rd Grade Class (Miss Leucht)
Photo #15 - 1952-1953 4th Grade Class (Miss Arnholt)
Photo #16 - Sometime in the 1950's
Photo E submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photos F & G taken in 2013 by David Osgood
If you can identify any of the missing names marked with a ?, please let me know





1st Ward School

Closed in 1865
FIRST WARD SCHOOL
Third & Charles

First Ward School
Was located on the SE Corner of Third & Charles
The school closed in 1865
Currently the site of Acme Machine Shop




F.L.Skaith School1 F.L.Skaith School2

Years of operation: 1965-Present
F.L. SKAITH SCHOOL
4701 Schoolside Lane

Years of operation: 1965-Present
4701 Schoolside Lane
Photo #2 submitted by Rodney Keyes




Florence Addition School

Years of operation: 1901-1927
FLORENCE ADDITION SCHOOL
Smith & Moose Streets

Years of operation: 1901-1927
Smith & Moose Streets
The most of the Florence Addition is now gone




Floyd Elementary School

Years of operation: 1888-1931
FLOYD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
6th & Jackson Streets

Years of operation: 1888-1931
6th & Jackson Streets
Sold to Holy Rosary Church
Interstate 229 covers this land today
All structures in the area are now gone






Years of operation: 1931-1967
FLOYD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
2316 South 3rd Street

Years of operation: 1931-1967
This was the 2nd Floyd School
It currently houses the St Joseph Street Department's Administrative Offices
It is located on the northwest corner of So 3rd St & Walnut St




Fourth Street School

Years of operation: 1877-1878
FOURTH STREET SCHOOL
4th & Patee

Years of operation: 1877-1878
The Studebaker Building
4th & Patee
The building is currently rented by the School District




1 2

GARD BUSINESS UNIVERSITY
514 Francis
9th & Frederick
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Gards was originally at 514 Francis Street in the Pioneer Building
Gard Business University later moved to the SW corner of 9th & Frederick
Urban Renewal removed this entire block of buildings and a large parking lot, which the upper level has been deemed unsage, now sits at this location
Gards was located across 9th Street from the Trail theater
Looking at the photo, 9th Street was a 2 way street back when the photo was taken




German-English School1 German-English School2 German-English School3

Years of operation: 1869-1918
GERMAN-ENGLISH SCHOOL
Tenth & Felix Streets

Years of operation: 1869-1918
(Deutsch Schul-Verein)
Was located on the southeast Corner of Tenth & Felix Sts
It later became the Longfellow School
Photo #3 - 1899 4th Grade
The arrow at photo top pointing to one of the Hunds of Hund & Eger soda




Hall Elementary 1 2 3 4 5 Hall Elementary 6

Years of operation: 1887-2014
HALL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
2509 Duncan Streets

The original Hall Elementary started in 1887 with only two rooms and two teachers
In 1902, two more classrooms were added
In 1909, a new school was built on the same site
Years of operation: 1887-2014
Located at 25th & Duncan Streets
The teacher is Miss Thoman
The school is now closed

Photo #1 circa 1910
Photo #2 circa 2012
Photos #3,4,5 are 1st graders taken in 1950
Photo #6 1957 4th grade on the playground




Holmes Chapel School

Years of operation: 1889-1892
HOLMES CHAPEL SCHOOL
18th & Beattie

Years of operation: 1889-1892
18th & Beattie
Originally, this was the 18th Street Colored School from 1888 to 1889




1 2 3 4 5

Years of operation: 1956-1979
HORACE MANN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
HORACE MANN MIDDLE SCHOOL
18th & Angelique

Horace Mann began as an elementary school and changed to a Middle School
Elementary School years of operation: 1956-1971
Middle School years of operation: 1971-1979




Hosea Elementary School1 Hosea Elementary School2

Years of operation: 1901-1954
HOSEA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Hyde Park & Gordon Streets

Years of operation: 1901-1954
Hyde Park & Park (Gordon) Streets
Photo #2: Circa 1920's




Hosea Elementary School

Years of operation: 1954 to present
HOSEA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
West Valley and Gordon Streets

Years of operation: 1954 to present
West Valley and Gordon Streets






HYDE ACCELERATED SCHOOL
509 Thompson

Located at 509 Thompson
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




Hyde Elementary School

Years of operation: 1901-1930
HYDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Sixth & Harmon Streets

Years of operation: 1901-1930
Sixth & Harmon Streets
Originally for only Grades 5-8
An addition to the school was added in 1908
King Hill School, which was only for grades 1-4, was moved here




1 2 3

Years of operation: 1930 To Present
HYDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
509 Thompson

Years of operation: 1930 To Present
Located at 509 Thompson

Photo #2 - 2008 Photo submitted by Terry McGinnis
Photo #3 - 2013 Photo submitted by David Osgood





Keatley Center 2000

Years of operation: 2000 To Present
KEATLEY CENTER
28th & Mitchell

Years of operation: 2000 To Present
Located on the west side of 28th Street, Between Mitchell & Penn




King Hill School

Years of operation: 1894-1908
KING HILL SCHOOL
Third & East Hyde Park

Years of operation: 1894-1908
Third & East Hyde Park
This was the new name for Hyde School
Only for Grades 1-4




1 2 3

Closed in 1965
KIRSCHNER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
NE Corner Collins & Vernon

NE Corner Collins & Vernon
School was closed in 1965, Students sent to Lake Contrary
The school has been converted into a private residence
Photo #2 - 8th grade graduating class of 1952
Photo #3 - taken in 2013 by Rodney Keyes





1 2

Years of operation: 1961-Present
LAKE CONTRARY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Alabama & Diagonal

Years of operation: 1961-Present
Alabama & Diagonal




Lake Station Elementary School

Years of operation: 1889-1965
LAKE STATION ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
6800 Diagonal Road

Years of operation: 1889-1965
6800 Diagonal Road
School was closed in 1965, Students were sent to Lake Contrary




Longfellow Elementary School

Years of operation: 1918-1936
LONGFELLOW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Tenth & Felix Streets

Years of operation: 1918-1936
Southeast Corner Tenth & Felix Streets
Originally was the German-English School
Became Crippled Childrens School in 1936
The building was razed in 1940




1 2 3 4

Years of operation: 1954-Present
MARK TWAIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
31st & Noyes Blvd

Years of operation: 1954-Present
31st & Noyes Blvd
Replaced Musser School
Phoro #4 - 1965-1966 Kindergarten class
Photo #3 - submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Years of operation: 1907-1976
McKINLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Barbara & Kansas Streets

Years of operation: 1907-1976
Barbara & Kansas Streets
Photo #3 - 1959-1960 1st Grade Class photo
Photo #4 - 1952 Class photo (grade unknown)
Photo #5 - 1970/1971 Class Photo (grades 6/7th)
Photo #6 - 1969/1970 Class Photo (grades 6/7th)
Photo #7 - 1956 Teachers
Photo #8 - Same as #7 with teacher's names
Photo #9 - 1954 Christmas play
Photo #10 - 1951 Class Photo (3rd grade)
Photo #11 - 1952 Class Photo (4th grade)
Photo #12 - 1953 Class Photo (5th grade)
Photo #13 - 1954 Class Photo (6th grade)
Photo #14 - 1955 Class Photo (7th grade)
Photo #15 - Aerial view of McKinley school
Photo #1 - submitted by Butch Sollars
Photos #8-14 submitted by Larry Marshall




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Years of operation: 1965-present
MISSOURI WESTERN STATE COLLEGE
MISSOURI WESTERN STATE UNIVERSITY
4525 Downs Drive

Constructed in 1965 when St Joseph Junior College at 10th & Edmond closed
The Junior College students were transferred to Missouri Western State College
The college is now Missouri Western State University

Photo #1 - 1970s aerial view when it was a college
Photo #2 - MO Western early years photo
Photo #3 - Numerous MWSC students
Photo #4 - Mo Western before 1980
Photo #5 - Mo Western before becoming an University




Moore School

MOORE SCHOOL
Old DeKalb Road

South of St.Joseph on Old DeKalb Road




1 2 3 4 5

Years of operation: 1895-1954
MUSSER ELEMENTARY
Years of operation: 1927-1957
CRIPPLED CHILDRENS
Years of operation: 1932-1973)
MYRTLE MILLER
SCHOOL FOR THE HANDICAPPED
24th & Olive
33rd & Olive

The following information was obtained from several sources
Musser Elementary School - Years of operation: 1895-1954
Crippled Children School - Years of operation: 1927-1957
Myrtle Miller School - Years of operation: 1932-1973)
(This gets a bit complicated & confusing - bear with me)
Musser school was located on the southeast corner of 24th Olive
It was named for Robert S Musser, a member of the School Board (1880-1883)
The building was remodeled, modernized and used until 1954
See above photos #1 &2 as what the original building looked like
The school was abandoned and razed in 1954
The Musser students were transferred to the new Mark Twain school
That was the end of Musser Elementary School
Now about the handicapped children - see timeline below
Somewhere along the line, before 1932, Krug School on St Joseph Avenue had the handicapped children
In 1932, Handicapped students were moved to Longfellow School at 10th & Felix
In 1936, Longfellow School became the Crippled Childrens School
In 1940, Longfellow building at 10th & Felix was razed
In 1940, Crippled Childrens School was moved to Musser at 24th & Olive
In 1954, Musser school at 24th & Olive was razed
In 1954, Musser students were moved to the new Mark Twain school on Parkway A
This left the Handicapped children looking for a new location
For a while, the District rented a vacant Western Auto Building
In 1957, New Myrtle Miller School for Handicapped was built at 33rd & Olive
For further details after 1957, see the next topic on Myrtle Miller
Photo #3: Musser class photo - unknown year or grade
I need to go to the library and get more accurate records




1 2 3

Years of operation: 1957-1973
MYRTLE MILLER
SCHOOL FOR THE HANDICAPPED
1973-Present
HARRY S. TRUMAN MIDDLE SCHOOL
3227 Olive Street

Myrtle Miller School years of operation: 1957-1973
Harry S. Truman Middle School years of operation: 1973-Present
Located at 33rd & Olive Streets
In 1957, after Krug School, which had once been a school for the mentally handicapped was abandoned and the School District built a brand new school at 33rd & Olive
Myrtle Miller had been the principal at Krug for many years so they named the new school after her
In 1973, the school was entered into the new Middle School Plan
The school was then renamed to Harry S Truman Middle School
Thus, there is no longer a Myrtle Miller School
Photo #2 - 2012 photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




Neely School

Years of operation: 1871-1908
NEELY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Twelfth & Scott Streets

Years of operation: 1871-1908
In 1908 a new Neely Elementary school was constructed at this location





1 2 3 4 5

Years of operation: 1908-2014
NEELY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
1909 South 12th Street

Years of operation: 1908-2014
Twelfth & Scott Streets
The former St. Joseph school will be transformed into loft apartments by the Foutch Brothers, a Kansas City-based company

Photo #1 - Neely Elementary School
Photo #2 - Neely Elementary School
Photo #3 - 1951 1st grade
Photo #4 - 1952 2nd grade
Photo #5 - 1953 3rd grade





North Market Primary

Years of operation: 1866-1869
NORTH MARKET PRIMARY
2nd & Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Years of operation: 1866-1869
Rented a room in the City Market
Second to Third Street, Edmond to Francis
Holiday Inn and it's parking Lot stands on this site today






Years of operation: 1941-1943
N.S.HILLYARD
VOCATIONAL-TECHNICAL SCHOOL
7th & Messanie

Years of operation: 1941-1943
7th & Messanie
Rented a room in the Old Police Station, now is the Military Museum




1 2 3 4 5

Years of operation: 1943-1964
N.S.HILLYARD
VOCATIONAL-TECHNICAL CENTER
800 South 9th Street

Years of operation: 1943-1964
800 South 9th Street (9th & Patee)
High school students were able take various trade courses at this vocational school in their Junior and Senior years
The school moved a block further south on 9th street in 1964

Photo #2 - 1961 Hillyard Vocational School - Auto Mechanics class
Left to right: Sonny Golden, Kenny Miller, Charles Roberts, Rick Drozd
Photos #3-5 - taken in 2013 by David Osgood






Years of operation: 1964-1982
N.S.HILLYARD
VOCATIONAL-TECHNICAL CENTER
1000 South 9th Street

Years of operation: 1964-1982
1000 South 9th Street






Years of operation: 1982-present
HILLYARD TECHNICAL CENTER
3434 Faraon

Years of operation: 1982-present
3434 Faraon
From the beginning, H.T.C. has been operated by the St. Joseph School District
A leader in job training since World War II, H.T.C. helped provide defense plant workers and then helped to retrain veterans for civilian jobs after the war
In 1982 the school moved to its present facility at 3434 Faraon Street
This nine million dollar facility is one of the most modern facilities in the USA
The administration and staff work diligently to keep the school in tune with advances in technology
Effective March 1999, in response to the developing mission of the school, the St. Joseph School District School Board voted to change the name of the school to Hillyard Technical Center





Olive Street School

Years of operation: 1891-1895
OLIVE STREET SCHOOL
10th & Olive

Years of operation: 1891-1895
North Side Olive Near 10th Street




Owen School

Years of operation: 1896-1931
OWEN SCHOOL
28th & Pear

Years of operation: 1896-1931
Northwest Corner 28th & Pear
Annexed into the School District in 1917




Parkway Elementary School1 Parkway Elementary School2

Years of operation: 1971-Present
PARKWAY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
29th & Duncan

Years of operation: 1971-Present
29th & Duncan
Photo #2 submitted by Rodney Keyes






Years of operation: 1898-unknown
PATEE FEMALE COLLEGE

Known years of operation: 1898-unknown
Location: Unknown




1 2 3 4 5

PICKETT ELEMENTARY & HIGH SCHOOL
Pickett Road & South 40th Street
Destroyed by Fire in 1954

Located on the SW Corner of Pickett Rd. & So. 40th St
This was an Elementary and High School, Separate Districts
Destroyed by fire on Friday, Feb 14, 1954
The students sent to old Hosea for 2 years
Picket School was then annexed into St. Joseph School District
Photo #5 - 4th Grade Class (1955)




Pickett School 1 Pickett School 2

Years of operation: 1963-Present
PICKETT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
3923 Pickett Road

Years of operation: 1963-Present
3923 Pickett Road






PLEASANT RIDGE SCHOOL
Highway 371 South





River Side School

RIVERVIEW SCHOOL
Riverside Road

Riverside Road
Approximately Where Herzog Construction Is Located




1 2

Years of operation: 1896-1908
ROBIDOUX SCHOOL
Tenth & Edmond

Years of operation: 1896-1908
Southeast Corner Tenth & Edmond
Contained the School District Offices on the 2nd floor




1 2 3

Years of operation: 1908-1927
ROBIDOUX SCHOOL
Tenth & Edmond

Years of operation: 1908-1927
Southeast Corner Tenth & Edmond
This would later become St Joseph Junior College
After Junior College closed, it became an apartment complex




Roubidoux Polytechnic

Years of operation: 1927-1933
ROBIDOUX POLYTECHNIC HIGH SCHOOL
10th & Charles

Years of operation: 1927-1933
Located in the Robidoux School
10th & Charles




Ruth Huston Learning Center

RUTH HUSTON LEARNING CENTER
803 South 13th Street

803 S. 13th St.
Previous Site of the 1896 St. Joseph High School




St. Georges School

Years of operation: 1901-1907
ST GEORGES SCHOOL
Colorado & Pryor

Years of operation: 1901-1907
North side of Colorado at end of Pryor
New structure built at Kansas & Barbara in 1907
The school name was changed to McKinley in 1907
The structure no longer exists
Photo is looking North on Pryor






Years of operation: 1864-1865
ST JOSEPH HIGH SCHOOL
10th & Felix

Years of operation: 1864-1865
Located on the northeast corner of 10th & Felix




1 2

Years of operation: 1866-1896
ST JOSEPH HIGH SCHOOL
10th & EDMOND

Years of operation: 1866-1896
Located on the southeast corner of Tenth & Edmond Streets






ROOSEVELT JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL
Years of operation: 1931-1942
South 13th Street
(between Messanie & Olive Streets)

(THIS IS THE TEXT BENEATH THE AERIAL PHOTO)
The above picture by the News-Press staff photographer in an airplane piloted by A. A. Salisbury of the St Joseph Aero Club reveals old Central High School, the new Roosevelt Junior High School
In the foreground is Everett School for some years used as Junior College but last year restored as a grade school. Immediately north of Everett is Central's gymnasium
At the top of the picture, right center, may be seen Sacret Heart Convent
The Convent grounds extend due east to the extreme right of the picture, the alley west of 15th Street
Upper left is Immaculate Conception Church, and to the south it's parochial school





1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Years of operation: 1896-1905
ST JOSEPH HIGH SCHOOL
Years of operation: 1905-1933
CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL
Years of operation: 1931-1942
ROOSEVELT JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL
SOUTH 13th STREET
(Between Messanie & Olive Streets)

St Joseph High School - Years of operation: 1896-1905
Central High School - Years of operation: 1905-1933
Roosevelt Junior High - Years of operation: 1931-1942
In 1896, St Joseph High School was located on the east side of 13th Street between Messanie & Olive on Carpenters Hill over looking the town
St Joseph High School was renamed Central High School when Benton High School opened in 1905
In 1933 a new Central High School was built at 2602 Edmond
The tall tower was modified and the buildign was also used for Roosevelt Junior High School from 1931 until 1942
The building was razed and an Armory now sits at this location

Photo #1 circa - 1909
Photo #2 circa - 1910
Photo #4 circa - 1920
Photo #5 circa - 1920
Photo #6 circa - 1926
Photo #7 circa - 1931
Photo #8 circa - 1931
Photos #9-12 circa - 1936 - Commencement brochure
Photo #13 circa - 1910
Photo #14 circa - 1924
Photo #15 Postcard
Photo #16 Watercolor of the old Central High School

Photos #9-12 submitted by Carol Stephens




schools

Circa 1928
ST JOSEPH HIGH SCHOOLS & COLLEGE

#1 - Central High School
#2 - St Joseph Junior College
#3 - Roubidoux High School
#4 - Lafayette High School
#5 - Convent of the Sacred Heart
#6 - Benton High School
#7 - Christian Brothers High School






Years of operation: 1915-1928
ST. JOSEPH JUNIOR COLLEGE
South 13th Street
(between Messanie & Olive)

Years of operation: 1915-1928
Located on 13th Street between Messanie & Olive Street
This also served as the original Central High School
The Junior College only occupied one corner of the building






Years of operation: 1928-1933
ST. JOSEPH JUNIOR COLLEGE
14th & Olive

Years of operation: 1928-1933
The college was moved to 14th & Olive
This later became Everett Elementary School




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Years of operation: 1933-1965
ST. JOSEPH JUNIOR COLLEGE
10th & Edmond

Years of operation: 1933-1965
In 1933, the college was moved here from 14th & Olive
It was located on the southeast corner of 10th Edmond

It became Missouri Western State College in 1965
It then ceased to be a part of the St Joseph School District

After sitting empty for many years, the city sold the building
The building is currently an apartment complex

Photo #3 - 1934 newspaper advertisement
Photo #4 - 1946 newspaper advertisement
Photo #5 - 1950 newspaper advertisement
Photo #6 - 1958 newspaper advertisement
Photo #10 - taken in 2003 by Rhonda Brown




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

ST. JOSEPH JUNIOR COLLEGE
STUDENT UNION "THE GROTTO"
10th & Edmond

Originally, this was the 1st Christian Church located on the Northeast corner of 10th & Edmond
It later became the home of St Joseph Junior College's Student Union called the "GROTTO"
In 1959, it was painted white (see photo #13)
It was located across the street from the college
It was torn down in the mid 60's and converted into a parking lot
This was a favorite hangout for students between classes, playing cards (usually Pitch) and eating their great sandwiches such as their 35 cent "Chilli and Cheese on Rye" - I would love to have their chilli recipe
Photo #14 - Current photo (Nov 2003) submitted by Rhonda Brown
The vacant lot where the Grotto once stood




Neely School

SAINT PATRICK CATHOLIC SCHOOL
1813 South 12th Street

St Patrick's Catholic School - 1813 South 12th St




Saxton School

SAXTON SCHOOL
Easton Road & Riverside Road

Easton Road & Riverside Road
Annexed into Pickett School District which was in turn annexed into St. Joseph District




Second Colored School

Years of operation: 1870-1870
SECOND COLORED SCHOOL
15th & Messanie

Years of operation: 1870-1870
On South 15th Street, between Messanie to Locust
View is Looking North on 15th from Locust




Second Colored School

Years of operation: 1887-1888
SECOND COLORED SCHOOL
BRANCH 1
17th & Messanie

Years of operation: 1887-1888
North Side of Messanie, between 17th and 18th streets




Seventh Street School Branch

Years of operation: 1888-1888
SEVENTH STREET SCHOOL BRANCH
7th & Messanie

Years of operation: 1888-1888
South side of Messanie, between 7th and 8th streets




Shepherd School

SHEPHERD SCHOOL
County Road U

Was located on County Road U
The school was closed in 1965
Students sent to Lake Contrary




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Years of operation: 1904-1982
SHERWOOD ELEMENTARY
29th & Edmond

Years of operation: 1904-1982
Sherwood school was located on South 29th St, between Edmond and Charles Streets
After sitting empty for years, the city tore Sherwood down in the 1990's and a small city park replaced the structure
The upper level and lower level playgrounds still remain
Someone painted ugly graffi on the walls
The grey garage above the wall was my grandparents who lived at 2915 Charles

Photo #4 - the new city park
Photo #5 - the new city park
Photo #6 - Upper playground that connects to Charles Street
Photo #7 - Lower playground, note all the graffi now painted on the wall
Photo #8 - 1950's Sherwood teachers
Photo #9 - 1956 - 6th grade Class
Photo #10 - 6th Grade Class at Sherwood School, to become Central High Class of 1967
Photos #6,7 - submitted by Terry McGinnis
Photo #8 - submitted by Brooke Hickman




South Park Colored School

Years of operation: 1890-1907
SOUTH PARK COLORED SCHOOL
17th & Commercial

Years of operation: 1890-1907
17th & Commercial




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Years of operation: 1888-1972
SOUTH PARK ELEMENTARY
18th & BELLE

Years of operation: 1888-1972
Once this school was located at 18th & Belle
It has been torn down and is currently a vacant lot
The students were transferred to Parkway ELementary in 1972

Photo #4 - Circa 1900 Class Photo
Photo #5 - Circa 1957-1958 5th Grade Class Photo
Photo #7 - Circa 1939-1940 1st grade
Photo #8 - Circa 1940-1941 2nd grade
Photos #4,5 submitted by Judy (Wiegant) Calhoun




South Saint Joseph Primary

Years of operation: 1874-1876
SOUTH ST. JOSEPH PRIMARY
14th & Mitchell

Years of operation: 1874-1876
Location: on Mitchell Avenue, between 14th and 15th streets
Later became Mitchell Avenue Primary school




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Years of operation: 1923-1967
SPRING GARDEN ELEMENTARY
4405 SOUTH 22nd

Years of operation: 1923-1967
The school was located on northeast corner of South 22nd (US 71) & South 11th Street Road
It was a 4 room school with 2 grades per room - grades 1-8
In 1968, the school moved to a new building at 5802 S. 22nd Street
South Park Christian Academy purchased the property
The old Spring Garden school has since been destroyed

Photo #1 - Front as viewed from 22nd Street side
Photo #2 - 1956 class photo of 5th & 6th grades - Teacher: Mildred Bright
Photo #3 - 1957 class photo of 7th & 8th grades - Teacher: Mildred Bright
Photo #4 - 1958 class photo of 8th grade graduation - Teacher/Principal: Mr Steffens
Photo #5 - Unknown year or class - Teacher: Miss Yancy
Photo #6 - Unknown years or class - Teacher: Mildred Bright
Photo #7 - Unknown years or class - Unknown teacher
Photo #8 - Unknown year or class - Teacher: Mildred Bright
Photo #9 - Unknown year or class - Unknown teacher
Photo #10 - Unknown year or class - Unknown teacher
Photo #11 - 1958 class photo of 7th & 8th grades - Mr Steffens





Spring Garden Middle School1 Spring Garden Middle School2

Years of operation: 1968-1973
SPRING GARDEN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Years of operation: 1973-Present
SPRING GARDEN MIDDLE SCHOOL
5802 South 22nd Street (US 71)

5802 S. 22nd Street
Elementary School years of operation: 1968-1973
Middle School years of operation: 1973-Present
This new school was built in 1968
Students were transferred in from the old school
Became a middle school in 1973
Photo #2 - Newspaper article on the new school opening




Weis School

WEIS SCHOOL
Lake Contrary Beach

Northeast of Lake Contrary Beach, was located by the river levy
Later moved further south on Lake Contrary




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Years of operation: 1916-1930
WYATT PARK SCHOOL
Years of operation: 1931-1972
BLISS JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL
30th & LAFAYETTE

Built in 1916, this was originally Wyatt Park School from 1916-1930
Bliss Junior High Years of operation: 1931-1972
Located on the NW corner of 30th & Lafayette
Bliss Junior High housed only 7th,8th & 9th graders, preparing them for high school
The school was closed in 1972 and sat empty for many years
It is now a private apartment complex for Senior Citizens called Bliss Heights Apartments
Photo #7 - circa 1958, taken in basement of the Beacon Restaurant
Photo #8 - Elmer Barton, woodshop teacher at Bliss Jr High
Photo #5 submitted by Rodney Keyes




Young School 1 Young School 2

Years of operation: 1889-1930
YOUNG SCHOOL
9th & Mary Streets

Years of operation: 1889-1930
This was the 1st St Joseph school to have a library
The building was torn down in 1933
In 1939, the city built a new central police station at the location




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu