Unique Visitors
Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind



Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

LISTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER



1 2

Years of Office 1860-1993
ST JOSEPH SCHOOL DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENTS






ARTICLE ON HOW THE
CITY SCHOOLS GOT THEIR NAMES

Did you ever wonder where our schools got their names?






Years of operation: 1868-1869
AVENUE PRIMARY SCHOOL
1209 Frederick Avenue

Years of operation: 1868-1869
1209 Frederick Avenue
The school was located in the 2nd story
The 2nd story has been removed






Years of operation: 1874-1877
AVENUE PRIMARY SCHOOL
10th & Frederick

Years of operation: 1874-1877
North Side Frederick, between 10th-11th Streets
Located across from Present City Hall






Years of operation: 1967 to Present
BESSIE ELLISON SCHOOL
Highway 6

Years of operation: 1967 to Present
5 Miles East of Belt Hwy on Hwy 6
Originally this was Platte Valley School 1954-1967




1 2 3

Years of operation: 1960 to Present
BISHOP LeBLOND HIGH SCHOOL
3529 Frederick Avenue

Bishop LeBlond Memorial High School is the successor to the Convent of the Sacred Heart and Christian Brothers High School
Bishop LeBlond was founded in 1960 by the Benedictine Sisters of Mount St. Scholastica of Atchison, Kansas
In 1970, when Christian Brothers High School for boys closed, Bishop LeBlond became co-educational
The founding principles and missions of both predecessor schools remain alive at Bishop LeBlond High School
The school is now a diocesan high school of the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph
Photo #1 - 2014 photo
Photo #2 - Class of 1965
Photo #3 - Artist's conception




1 2 3 4

BUCHANAN COUNTY ACADEMY
4702 Green Acres Road

Formerly the Childrens Home, now ran by Buchanan County Juvenille Office
Located at 4702 Green Acres Road
The Juvenile Office facilitates the care, protection, and discipline of children who come within the jurisdiciton of the juvenile court

Photos #2-4 taken in 2013 by David Osgood






BUILDING BRIDGES AND
MANAGEMENT SCHOOL
3600 Frederick

3600 Frederick
(Woodson Building)






Years of operation: 1901 to Present
CATHEDRAL CATHOLIC SCHOOL
518 NORTH 11th STREET

Circa 1901




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Years of operation: 1927 to 1970
CHRISTIAN BROTHERS HIGH SCHOOL
Years of operation: 1972 to Present
BODE MIDDLE SCHOOL
720 North Noyes

Christian Brothers High School was in operation from 1927 to 1970
The Brothers opened their new Christian Brothers High School at Noyes and Union in 1927
The Brothers closed this school forever in May 1970
The building was later purchased by the city and in 1972 it became Bode Middle School

Photo #1 - Christian Brothers High school at Noyes & Union
Photo #2 - Christian Brothers High school at Noyes & Union
Photo #3 - Christian Brothers High school at Noyes & Union
Photo #4 - Christian Brothers High school Marquee
Photo #5 - Christian Brothers High school at Noyes & Union
Photo #6 - Christian Brothers High school at Noyes & Union
Photo #7 - Christian Brothers High school at Noyes & Union
Photo #8 - 2012 Photo of Bode submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photo #9 - Aerial view of CB High School






Years of operation: 1867-1869
COURTHOUSE HILL PRIMARY
North 4th Street (between Jules & Faraon)

Years of operation: 1867-1869
4th Street, Between Jules and Faraon
This courthouse did not exist at this time
The School was housed in a rented room somewhere near the west entrance shown at the left side of this picture.




1 2 3 4

Years of operation: 1879-1917
CROSBY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Savannah Avenue & Richardson Streets

Years of operation: 1879-1917
Savannah Avenue & Richardson Streets

Photo #1 - Crosby School circa 1882
Photo #2 - side view taken in 2001
Photo #3 - Crosby School circa 1882
Photo #4 - Crosby School circa 1908 2nd grade




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Years of operation: 1931-Present
EDISON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
515 North 22nd

Years of operation: 1931-Present
Located on North 22nd Street between Mulberry and Clay
Students from Garfield & Jackson moved here in 1931
Annie Laura's store once stood across the street
The city purchased the property, tore it down and built a new structure

Photo #2 - 2008 Photo submitted by Terry McGinnis
Photo #3 - 1956 photo of the 1st grade - teacher was Vernelle Linch
Photos #4-11 - taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Photo #12 - Unknown grade - 1967/1968




1 2 33

Circa 1858
CHRISTIAN CHURCH
Circa 1879
COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS & SURGEONS
Circa 1880's
ENSWORTH HOSPITAL MEDICAL COLLEGE
Circa 1917
QUICK SERVICE LAUNDRY COMPANY
502 North 3rd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This location is currently part of Wire Rope

Around 1858, the Christian Church built this building
In 1870, the church congregation moved to a new building at 10th and Edmond

In 1879 the building became the College of Physicians and Surgeons
The college later merged with St. Joseph Hospital Medical College and became Ensworth Hospital Medical College
In 1888, Ensworth Hospital Medical College relocated to 7th and Jules

In 1917, this building became Quick Service Steam Laundry

Photo #1 - Medical College
Photo #2 - Quick Service Steam Laundry
Photo #3 - Ensworth Hospital Medical College at 7th and Jules
Photo #1 submitted by Andrew Poage




1 2 3 4

Years of operation: 1933-Present
EUGENE FIELD ELEMENTARY
2602 Gene Field Road

Years of operation: 1933-Present
26th & Gene Field Road
Originally was named Whittier School
The school was partially destroyed by fire on July 15, 1973

Photo #4 - Feb 21, 1960, 7th & 8th grade school dance
Cliff & Paul hosted the dance
Photo #3 submitted by Rodney Keyes




Circa 1901
FIFTH WARD SCHOOL
1520 North 2nd

Built in 1901 - Second and Cherry
Only property still a part of the School District
Site of Present Humboldt Elementary School






Years of operation: 1885-1888
FREDERICK AVENUE COLORED SCHOOL
20th & Frederick

Years of operation: 1885-1888
NE Corner Frederick & 20th Street
Became School District Carpenter Shop




1 2

Gard Business Universary
514 Francis
9th & Frederick
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Gards was originally at 514 Francis Street in the Pioneer Building
Gard Business University later moved to the SW corner of 9th & Frederick
Urban Renewal removed this entire block of buildings and created a large parking lot. The upper level has been deemed unsafe and has been blocked off now for many years. The city is still debating what to do about it
Gards was located across 9th Street from the Trail theater
Looking at the photo #2, 9th Street was a 2 way street back when the photo was taken






Years of operation: 1883-1930
GARFIELD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
19th & Francis Streets

Years of operation: 1883-1930
19th & Francis Streets






Years of operation: 1884-1885
GARFIELD BRANCH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
16th & Francis

Years of operation: 1884-1885
North Side Francis between 16th and 17th Streets




Garfield Elementary School

GARFIELD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

Looking East on Francis at 19th
Garfield was on left and the short wall remains
The brick wall on right was made out of bricks from the Garfield Building
Purchased and built by the Tootle family




1 2

Years of operation: 1967-Present
G. M. COLEMAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
3312 Beck Road

Years of operation: 1967-Present
3312 Beck Road
Originally Hawthorne Elementary until 1996
Photo #2 submitted by Rodney Keyes






Years of operation: 1894-1907
GRANT SCHOOL
Pendleton & North 11th Street

Years of operation: 1894-1907
Pendleton & North 11th Street
School would open for a few years and close for a few years depending on size of Washington School.
It had only one room & one teacher.
Currently used by the School District for Storage.




Green Valley School

Years of operation: 1915-1925
GREEN VALLEY SCHOOL
Rocksprings & Blackwell Road

Years of operation: 1915-1925
Rocksprings & Blackwell Road
Later became Pershing School
The Green Valley area later became known as Industrial City




HARRY MINTURN SCHOOL
OF OPERA & DRAMA
1008 Jules Street

Information provided by Terry Plumb




1 2

Years of operation: 1897-1929
HOME FOR
LITTLE WANDERERS SCHOOL
801 N. Noyes Blvd

Years of operation: 1897-1929
801 N. Noyes Blvd
Orphanage School Run by the School District
Presently this is the Noyes Home




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

HUMBOLDT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
1520 North 2nd

Photo #1 - Postcard
Photo #2 - Humboldt School
Photos #3-6 taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Photo #7 - 7th Grade class 1964/1965
Photo #8 - 5th Grade class 1962/1963 Teacher:Miss Dobbs
Photo #9 - Kindergarten 1957 - Teacher: Miss Brown







Years of operation: 1890-1894
HUNDLEY CHAPEL SCHOOL
19th & Union Streets

Years of operation: 1890-1894
Northwest Corner of 19th & Union Streets






Years of operation: 1894-1930
JACKSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
24th & Clay

Years of operation: 1894-1930
24th & Clay






JOHN GLENN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
12401 County Road 438

12401 County Road 438
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3 4

Years of operation: 1925-Present
JOHN J. PERSHING SCHOOL
2610 Blackwell Road

ROCK SPRINGS & BLACKWELL ROADS
Years of operation: 1925-Present

Photo #2 - 1965 class photo (grade unknown)
Photo #3 - 1947-1948 1st grade class photo
Photo #4 - submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3 4 5

KRUG PARK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
St Joseph Avenue

St. Joseph Ave. - East Side - By the Boulevard
Students Moved to Myrtle Miller in 1956
The building no longer exists




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Years of operation: 1917-Present
LAFAYETTE HIGH SCHOOL
3rd & Highland

Years of operation: 1917-Present
3rd & Highland
Opened in 1917 as North Grammar and High School then changed name

Photo #2 - 1938 aerial view
Photo #3 - WWII scrap collected by students
Photo #4 - 1949 photo
Photo #18 - 1929 Class photo
Photo #5 - submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photos #6-16 - taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Photo #18 submitted by Penny Pickett




1 2

Years of operation: 1894-1940
LINCOLN COLORED SCHOOL
St. Joseph Ave & Pendelton

Years of operation: 1894-1940
St. Joseph Ave & Pendelton
Photo #1 - Circa 1940




Lincoln Colored School 1 Lincoln Colored School 2

Years of operation: 1940-1954
LINCOLN COLORED SCHOOL
St. Joseph Ave & Pendelton

Years of operation: 1940-1954
Photo Circa 1940's
St. Joseph Ave & Pendelton
A New School was Built here in the 1940's
The old school was destroyed by fire
The VFW Hall was built on the site
Photo #2 - Circa 2011
Photo #2 submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Years of operation: 1931-Present
LINDBERGH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
2812 St Joseph Avenue

Years of operation: 1931-Present
Located on St. Joseph Ave, between Monroe and Concord
Photo #5 - 1954 Kindergarten class
Photo #6 - 1964-1965 Grade 7 class
Photo #11 - 1960-1961 Grade 2 class
Photo #12 - 1941-1942 Grade 1 class
Photo #4 submitted by Rodney Keyes






Years of operation: 1936-1954
MARY U. NEIPP SCHOOL
FOR CRIPPLED CHILDREN
Second & Cherry

Years of operation: 1936-1954
Second & Cherry
Students were moved to Hosea in 1954






Years of operation: 1908-1931
MAXWELL SCHOOL
Old Amazonia Road

Years of operation: 1908-1931
3/4 miles North Of Krug Park on Old Amazonia Road




1 2 3 4

Circa 1906
MISS WEST'S SCHOOL FOR GIRLS
1803 Jules
2608 Jules St

Circa: 1906 Private school for girls
Opened at 1803 Jules Street in 1906
Later moved to 2608 Jules Street
Boarding and day school, College Preparatory
Senior, Intermediate and primary departments
Photo #1 - 1909 St Joseph News-Press advertisement
Photo #2 - Old advertisement - 2608 Jules Street
Photo #3 - 1913 St Joseph News-Press advertisement
Photo #4 - Current photo of 2608 Jules Street




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Years of operation: 1942-Present
NOYES ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
NOYES JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL
1415 North 26th

Photo #1 - Circa 1942
Photo #2 - 2008 Photo submitted by Terry McGinnis
Photo #3 - 2005 Photo submitted by Jack Quinn
Photo #4 - 1955 8th grade class photo submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photo #5 - 1947-1948 1st & 2nd grade class photo submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photo #6 - 1941 Patrol Boys
Photo #7 - 2012 submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photo #8 - 1955 7th Grade class photo






Years of operation: 1981 to Present
N.S.HILLYARD VOCATIONAL
TECHNICAL SCHOOL
36th & Faraon

Years of operation: 1981 to Present
36th & Faraon



>


PLATTE COLLEGE
8th & Felix

Platte College was once located on the SW corner of 8th & Felix, where Necci Sewing Machine later located
Platte College later moved to 9th & Frederick and again to 9th & Felix where it currently resides




1 2 3 Western Auto4 5

PLATT COLLEGE
YWCA
9th & Frederick
9th & Felix
3131 Frederick Ave
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Until Urban Renewal, this collage was located at 9th & Frederick
At one time, the YWCA was also located in this building
This business College moved to the NE corner of 9th & Felix, see photo #4
In 1986, Platt College moved again to 3131 Frederick






Years of operation: 1954-1967
PLATTE VALLEY SCHOOL
Highway 6

Years of operation: 1954-1967
5 Miles East of Belt Hwy on Hwy 6
Presently Bessie Ellison Elementary




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RIVERSIDE SCHOOL
Located in the French Bottoms

This school was located in the French Bottoms (across river from casino)
Students were sent to Humboldt when the school closed
The school building no longer exists

Photo #1 - Riverside School
Photo #2 - 1952 photo
Photo #3 - 1952 photo
Photo #4 - Riverside School
Photo #5 - Newspaper article about selling of school property
Photo #6 - Map displaying school location prior to river channel change
Photo #7 - Aerial photo of the French Bottoms
Photo #8 - 1907 Riverside School






Years of operation: Sept 1973-Jan 1974
ROBIDOUX MIDDLE SCHOOL
5th & Poulin Streets

Years of operation: Sept 1973-Jan 1974
5th & Poulin Streets




1 2

ROBIDOUX MIDDLE SCHOOL
4212 St Joseph Avenue

This is the new Robidoux Middle School
Photo #2 submitted by Rodney Keyes






Circa 1928
ST JOSEPH HIGH SCHOOLS & COLLEGE

#1 - Central High School
#2 - St Joseph Junior College
#3 - Robidoux High School
#4 - Lafayette High School
#5 - Convent of the Sacred Heart
#6 - Benton High School
#7 - Christian Brothers High School




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Years of operation: 1867-1927
ST JOSEPH COMMERCIAL COLLEGE
CHRISTIAN BROTHERS COLLEGE
12th-13th & Henry


This building was erected in 1858
The college located at 12th & Henry operated from 1867 until 1927
The school was named St Joseph Commercial College
The Brothers later renamed it to Christian Brothers College
Due to the outbreak of the Civil War, the first classes were not held until Sept 5, 1867
In 1868, the Brothers also opened a grade school for boys in the St Patrick's Church area at 11th & Monterey and it operated through the 19th Century. The building still stands today
The Brothers moved the school to a new location in 1927
This became Christian Brothers High School located at Noyes and Union

Photo #1 - circa: 1880 CB High School at 12th & Henry
Photo #2 - Original school on College Hill at 12th & Henry
Photo #3 - circa: 1907 CB High school at 12th & Henry
Photo #4 - Original school on College Hill at 12th & Henry
Photo #5 - Front Cover of an original Prosper Prospectus Guide
Photo #6 - Inside page of an original Prosper Prospectus Guide
Photo #7 - Inside page of an original Prosper Prospectus Guide
Photo #8 - 1899 Advertisement
Prospectus guide photos submitted by Rodney Keyes




Circa 1883
ST JOSEPH MEDICAL COLLEGE
209 North 2nd Street

Known to be in operation in 1883
St. Joseph Hospital Medical College later merged with Ensworth Hospital Medical College located at 502 North 3rd Street




1 2 3

SAINT MARY'S ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
1602 Main

Located on the corner of Main & Cherry Streets

Photo #1 - St. Mary's School
Photo #2 - St. Mary's 1963 Grades 1-8, Sister Martin Theresa
Photo #3 - St. Mary's School
Photo #1 - submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photo #2 - submitted by Gary Tantlinger




Saxton Heights School

Years of operation: 1889-1900
SAXTON HEIGHTS SCHOOL
26th & Frederick

Years of operation: 1889-1900
Northeast Corner 26th & Frederick
Later to be Westminister Pharmacy, Norris Pharmacy and Zercher Photography






Years of operation: 1860-1896
SECOND WARD SCHOOL
12th & Francis

Years of operation: 1860-1896
East Side of Twelfth Between Francis & Jules
Later Called Franklin School
Demolished 1966 - Now First Baptist Church Parking Lot






Years of operation: 1884-1907
STEINACKER SCHOOL
2nd & Louis

Years of operation: 1884-1907
Southwest Corner of 2nd & Louis






Years of operation: 1866-1889
TENTH STREET PRIMARY
111 North Tenth

Years of operation: 1866-1889
111 North Tenth
Housed in Neely's Academy when High School moved across the street, to the south






Years of operation: 1871-1873
THIRD COLORED SCHOOL
North 2nd Street

Years of operation: 1871-1873
East Side of 2nd Street, between Isadore to Antoine
Wire Rope now occupies the site






Circa 1801
THIRD WARD SCHOOL
Second and Cherry

Built in 1901 at Second and Cherry
This property is still a part of the School District
Site of Present Humboldt School
Also was known as the Madison School, and First Colored School




1 2 3

Years of operation: 1894-1931
WALKERS ADDITION SCHOOL
ERNST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
St Joseph Ave & 5th Avenue

Years of operation: 1894-1931
This school was originally Walkers Addition School
It was built close to the turn of the century in 1891
The name was changed to Ernst School Elementary School
In 1931 the students were transferred to Lindbergh School on St Joseph Avenue
It was listed as being located at 5th Ave & Savannah Road which is misleading today as it's location was actually one-half block east of St. Joseph Avenue on 5th Avenue, where the Melmed Pharmacy was in 2001






Years of operation: 1867-1869
WASHINGTON SCHOOL
Years of operation: 1869-1873
THIRD STREET PRIMARY
Third & Isadore

Years of operation: 1867-1869
Third & Isadore
Moved to 5th & Poulin in 1869
Became Third Street Primary from 1869-1873






Years of operation: 1869-1873
WASHINGTON BRANCH PRIMARY
Third & Robidoux

Years of operation: 1869-1873
Third & Robidoux
Became Third Street German-English from 1873-1879






Years of operation: 1869-1908
WASHINGTON SCHOOL
5th & Poulin Streets

Years of operation: 1869-1908
5th & Poulin Streets




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Years of operation: 1908-1972
WASHINGTON SCHOOL
5th & Poulin Streets

Years of operation: 1908-1972
5th & Poulin Streets
Some businesses used the structure in the past, believed to be empty in 2013

Photo #1 - Served as Robidoux Middle School 1973-1974
Photo #2 - empty and delapidated in 2012
Photo #3 - closeup of front door
Photos #4-11 taken in 2013 by David Osgood




1 2

Years of operation: 1869-1931
WEBSTER SCHOOL
17th & Highly

Years of operation: 1869-1931
17th & Highly
Photo #2 - Circa: 1875




1 2 3 4

Years of operation: 1931-2009
WEBSTER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
1211 North 18th Street
Years of operation: 2009-Present
WEBSTER LEARNING CENTER
1211 North 18th Street

Webster Elementary Years of Operation: 1931-2009
Webster Learning Center Years of Operation: 2009-Present
Located on the northeast corner of 18th & Highly
Webster Learning Center was erected in the early 1930's
In 2009 Webster Elementary was converted to the Learning Center
It is home to the Ruth Huston Adult Education Programs:
  • The Learning Academy for eleventh and twelfth grade students
  • The Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) Program for grades 3-6
  • The Early Childhood Education Program for pre-school
  • The Junior Reserved Officer Training Corp (J-ROTC)

  • Photo #3 - Webster Elementary Schoolboy Patrol Circa 1955-56
    Back Row L-R: Bruce Taylor, Dennis Smith, Mrs. Phares (sponser),Larry Parker, Wayne Leslie
    Middle Row L-R: Charles Hand Bill Ostrander, Warren Carter, Don Sherman, Gene Lucas
    Front Row L-R: Vince Perry, Bill French, Kenny Kirkpatrick
    Photo #4 - Circa 1941 1st grade class






    W. FAIRLEIGH ENRIGHT CENTER
    514 N. 22nd St

    514 N. 22nd St
    Anna Laura's Store used to sit on this location






    Years of operation: 1917-1933
    WHITTIER SCHOOL
    26th & Gene Field Road

    Years of operation: 1917-1933
    26th & Gene Field Road
    Later Became Eugene Field School






    WOODBINE SCHOOL
    Woodbine & Frederick

    Woodbine & Frederick
    Applebees now sits on this site




    1 2

    Years of operation: 1900-1930
    WYATT SCHOOL
    11th & Henry Streets

    Years of operation: 1900-1930
    11th & Henry Streets
    Photo #1 - Wyatt School
    Photo #2 - 1928 Ronald D. Pickett 8th grade graduation diploma
    Photo #2 was submitted by Penny Pickett (Ronald D. Pickett's daughter)




    PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



    Feel free to email me with any comments or questions
    Rick Drozd - rickdrozd@gmail.com

    Return To Main Menu