Search Engine for St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind


Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo


LIST OF ST JOSEPH'S RAILROAD LINES





BURLINGTON NORTHERN (BN)
BURLINGTON NORTHERN SANTE FE (BNSF)
CHICAGO, BURLINGTON & QUINCY (CB&Q)
CHICAGO GREAT WESTERN (CGW)
CHICAGO & NORTHWESTERN (C&NW)
CHICAGO, ROCK ISLAND & PACIFIC (CRI&P)
HANNIBAL & ST JOSEPH RAILROAD (H&SJ)
KANSAS CITY, CLAY COUNTY & ST JOSEPH RAILWAY
MISSOURI PACIFIC (MOPAC)
NORTHEAST KANSAS & MISSOURI RAILROAD (NEKM)
ROCK ISLAND (RI)
ST JOSEPH BELT (SJB) - Owned by Missouri Pacific
ST JOSEPH & DENVER CITY RAILROAD
ST JOSEPH & GRAND ISLAND (SJ&GI)
ST JOSEPH & SAVANNAH ELECTRIC RAILWAY
ST JOSEPH SHORT LINE RAILROAD
ST JOSEPH TERMINAL (SJT)
ST JOSEPH & WESTERN (SJ&W)
SANTE FE (SF)
UNION PACIFIC (UP)
UNION TERMINAL RAILWAY (UT)




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

ASSORTED RAILROAD STOCK CERTIFICATES

Photo #1 - 1867 St Joseph & Council Bluffs Railroad
Photo #2 - 1895 Atchison, Topeka & Sante Fe Railroad
Photo #3 - 1889 St Joseph, St Louis & Sante Fe Railroad
Photo #4 - 1896 St Louis, St Joseph & Cripple Creek Mining Railroad
Photo #5 - 1895 Atchison, Topeka & Sante Fe Railroad
Photo #6 - Union Railway Company of St Joseph 30 year bond
Photo #7 - 1911 St Joseph Railway, Light, Heat & Power
Photo #8 - 1886 St Joseph & Iowa Railroad Company
Photo #9 - 1896 St Louis, St Joseph & Cripple Creek Mining Railroad
Photo #10 - 1889 St Joseph, St Louis & Sante Fe Railroad
Photo #11 - 1919 Kansas City, St Joseph & Council Bluffs Railroad Company
Photo #12 - St Joseph, Denver City Rail Road Company
Photo #13 - St Joseph Short Line Railroad
Photo #14 - St Joseph Western Railroad Company
Photo #15 - 1887 Hannibal & St Joseph Railroad Company
Photo #16 - 1867 St Joseph, Council Bluffs Railroad Company
Photo #17 - 1911 The St Joseph Union Depot Company




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1899
ASSORTED RAILROAD ADVERTISEMENTS

Photo #1 - 1899 Atchison, Topeka & Sante Fe Railway
Photo #2 - 1899 The Burlington Route
Photo #3 - 1899 Chicago Great Western Railway
Photo #4 - 1899 Missouri Pacific Railroad Railway
Photo #5 - 1899 Rock Island Route
Photo #6 - 1899 St Joseph and Grand Island Railway



LISTED BY RAILROADS ALPHABETICALLY




ATSF RAILWAY EXPRESS BAGGAGE CAR
#2415
CIRCA 1958

Atchison, Topeka and Sante Fe Railway Express baggage car
Photo taken is St Joseph in 1958




1 2 3

Circa 1959
BURLINGTON DEPOT

After closing the main Union Depot (also known as) Union Station on South 6th Street, this depot was constructed and used for Burlington passenger and freight trains
It was located further south near the roundhouse & turntable, just north of the 6th Street viaduct
This small depot opened for service on July 1, 1959
This building no longer exists
Photo #2 - July 1, 1959 St Joseph News Press photos
Photo #3 - July 1, 1959 St Joseph News Press photos






Circa 1893
BURLINGTON TICKET OFFICE
122-124 North 3rd Street





1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11

BURLINGTON ZEPHYR

The Burlington Zephyr was the country's first diesel-powered streamliner
The Burlington Zephyr was the most famous streamliners in the United States
The Burlington Zephyr was introduced to service on November 11, 1934

The Burlington Pioneer Zephyr was donated to Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry on February 21, 1960 where it remains on display today

In 1945, CB&Q built the first Vista-Dome coach
The last Zephyr was retired from service with the advent of Amtrak in 1971
The 1st Zephyr was submitted to Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry
The museum restored the Zephyr and it remains on public display today

The Zephyr fleet included:
  • Pioneer Zephyr (Lincoln-Omaha-Kansas City)
  • Twin Cities Zephyr (Chicago-Minneapolis-St. Paul)
  • Mark Twain Zephyr (St. Louis-Burlington)
  • Denver Zephyr (Chicago-Denver)
  • Nebraska Zephyr (Chicago-Lincoln)
  • Sam Houston Zephyr (Houston-Dallas-Ft. Worth)
  • Ozark State Zephyr (Kansas City-St. Louis), jointly with the Alton Railroad
  • General Pershing Zephyr (Kansas City-St. Louis)
  • Silver Streak Zephyr (Kansas City-Omaha-Lincoln)
  • Ak-Sar-Ben Zephyr (Kansas City-Omaha-Lincoln)
  • Zephyr Rocket (St. Louis-Burlington-Minneapolis-St. Paul), jointly with R.I.
  • Texas Zephyr (Denver-Dallas-Ft. Worth)
  • American Royal Zephyr (Chicago-Kansas City)
  • Kansas City Zephyr (Chicago-Kansas City)

  • Photo #1 - Burlington Zephyr at St Joseph Depot
    Photo #2 - Burlington Zephyr at St Joseph Depot
    Photo #3 - Burlington Zephyr at St Joseph Depot
    Photo #4 - Burlington Zephyr at St Joseph Depot
    Photo #5 - Map of the routes of the Burlington Zephyr
    Photo #6 - 1940 Burlington Zephyr Dining Car interior
    Photo #7 - 1940 Burlington Zephyr Lounge Car interior
    Photo #8 - St Joseph News-Press Photo of the retiring Pioneer Zephyr
    Photo #9 - St Joseph News-Press article about retiring the Pioneer Zephyr
    Photo #10 - St Joseph News-Press article - 2 Zephyrs meet at St Joseph depot
    Photo #11 - 1956 Burlington Zephyr #9903 leaving Saint Joseph depot






    BURLINGTON NORTHERN CABOOSE 11066

    A caboose is also referred to as a way car




    1 2

    CB&Q LOCO COMING AROUND THE BLUFFS
    Before MacArthur Drive was created

    This photo was taken before WWII and before MacArthur Drive existed
    The bluffs were cut back in order to create MacArthur Drive
    Photo #2 is the St Joseph News-Press article explaining photo #1




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

    CB&Q STEAM LOCOMOTIVES
    Photographed in St Joseph

    CHICAGO, BURLINGTON & QUINCY LOCOMOTIVES

    Photo #1 - (1930) CB&Q #2555 4-4-2 Steam Locomotive
    Photo #2 - (1930) CB&Q #466 4-4-0 Steam Locomotive
    Photo #3 - (1930) CB&Q #6106 2-10-2 Steam Locomotive
    Photo #4 - (1930) CB&Q #1501 0-6-0 Steam Locomotive
    Photo #5 - (1938) CB&Q #2800 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive
    Photo #6 - (1910) CB&Q 4-2-2 Steam Locomotive
    Photo #7 - (1938) CB&Q #5350 2-8-2 Steam Locomotive
    Photo #8 - (1932) CB&Q #470 4-4-0 Steam Locomotive






    CB&Q Steam Locomotive
    No. 5614 Northern 4-8-4
    Photographed in St Joseph

    CB&Q engineer Francis P. Kneib, (tall man on the left in the white hat) with his fireman standing next to their CB&Q No. 5614 Northern 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive
    Photo submitted by his son David Kneib




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

    CB&Q Steam Locomotive
    No. 5614 Northern 4-8-4
    Patee Park (renamed Pony Express Park)

    This locomotive and tender is currently on display in Patee Park at 9th & Penn Streets
    The park has since been renamed to Pony Express Park
    After being used in both passenger and freight service, it was retired in September 1957
    On April 27, 1962, the CB&Q railroad submitted this locomotive & tender to the city
    The locomotive and tender was placed in the park on May 27-28, 1962
    The placing of the locomotive & tender was done by Karle Carriage Works
    There was not an official ceremony held for the placement
    Several hundred people showed up to watch the train being put into place
    The fence and overhead cover were installed at a much later date
    Engineer Francis Kneib and his fireman, Dale Paden, brought the train to St. Joseph

    Photo #1 - CB&Q Northern 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive
    Photo #2 - CB&Q Northern 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive
    Photo #3 - CB&Q Northern 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive
    Photo #4 - CB&Q Northern 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive
    Photo #5 - CB&Q Northern 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive
    Photo #6 - Sign explaining the steam Locomotive information & specifications
    Photo #7 - Plaque explaining donation of the locomotive to the city
    Photos #8-15 - May 1962 St Joseph Gazette newspaper photos and articles about moving of the loco & tender
    Newspaper articles scanned and submitted by David Kneib






    Circa 1970
    CB&Q Steam Locomotive
    No. 5614 Northern 4-8-4
    Pulling a freight train





    1 2 3 4 5 6

    Circa 1928
    CB&Q DOODLEBUG #9845 & #9767
    Gasoline Powered

    Four above photos were taken at St Joseph Union Depot
    Doodlebugs were developed during the early 20th century
    These Doodlebugs were mostly powered with gasoline engines
    This enabled railroads to reduce operating costs
    Photo #1 - CB&Q Doodlebug #9845 at Union Station
    Photo #2 - Doodlebug #9845 was built in July 1928 and was scrapped in August 1961
    Photo #3 - Doodlebug #9845 at Union Station being towed by CB&Q switcher
    Photo #4 - Oct 1956 - Doodlebug #9845 being towed by a CB&Q switcher
    Photo #5 - 1957 Doodlebug 9845 set out in a pasture
    Photo #6 - Doodlebug 9767 getting ready at Union Station






    Circa 1970
    CB&Q EMD E9A locomotive 99888
    Photographed in St Joseph

    Photographed in St Joseph in 1970






    CB&Q EMD E7 locomotive 9931-A
    Photographed in Creston Iowa

    Photographed on June 27, 1959






    CB&Q EMD E7 locomotive 9944







    CB&Q EMD E8







    CB&Q EMD E7 locomotive 9949
    Photographed in St Joseph

    CB&Q engineer Francis P. Kneib, (tall man on the left in the white hat) with his fireman & brakeman standing next to their CB&Q EMD E7 locomotive 9949
    Photo Circa is early to mid 1950's at the St. Joseph Union Depot

    Francis Kneib was the engineer who drove the CB&Q steam engine #5614 to St Joseph that was submitted for the Patee Park display
    Photo submitted by his son David Kneib






    CB&Q FREIGHT STATION
    CIRCA: 1979
    Illinois Avenue






    CB&Q M.O.W. CRANE
    Photographed in St Joseph

    CB&Q Maintenance Of Way Crane #204330 in St Joseph MO in 1958




    CB&Q Office

    CB&Q OFFICE BUILDING
    with staff in 1909
    3rd & Sylvanie

    In 1909. this was the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy RR office building and staff
    This building was located at 3rd & Sylvanie
    Photo date: August 3, 1909
    Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes

    The railroad office building was originally 4 stories tall
    It was originally the main headquarters for the Hannibal & St Joe Railroad, before the CB&Q took it over
    The top 2 floors were subsequently removed and only 2 floors remained

    There was a big freight house to the south of it
    It was a really busy place in the 1950's
    The first floor had the Local Freight Office, with a big staff, and the Law Dept
    The 2nd floor had the Superintendent's office with several people, three Road masters, a Master Carpenter, Train master's office, Timekeeper's office, PBX telephone operator (switchboards with plug in cables), and Chief Dispatcher's office, and the Wire Chief's office
    Also, there was a basement where records were stored

    This structure no longer exists




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

    CB&Q OVERPASS
    NOYES BOULEVARD & MESSANIE

    The old railroad bridge has been removed
    Over the years, many trucks had gotten struck the low bridge
    As seen in photo #9, Officer Ron Davis issuing truck driver a ticket for hitting the overpass

    Photo #1 - Noyes & Messanie intersection looking north
    Photo #2 - Across from Moila looking north
    Photo #3 - Frederick & Noyes - looking north
    Photo #4 - Further north on Noyes - looking north
    Photo #5 - 1937 view of the CB&Q Railroad bridge
    Photo #6 - Only the east bridge abutment remains in 2013
    Photo #7 - View from 28th Street, Henry's or Parkway Broasted Chicken far left
    Photo #8 - Blown up view of the railroad bridge
    Photo #9 - Officer Ron Davis issuing truck driver a ticket for hitting the overpass
    Photo #10 - Removal of the bridge
    Photo #11 - Removal of the bridge




    CB&Q RAILWAY OFFICE & FREIGHT DEPOT
    404 South 3rd Street

    The structure still exists




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

    CB&Q ROUNDHOUSE
    CB&Q TURNTABLE
    CB&Q SANDING TOWER

    This turntable was located at 6th & Atchison in front of the CB&Q roundhouse
    The roundhouse was torn down first and then several years later the turntable was finally removed
    The CB&Q Roundhouse, turntable and CB&Q Locomotive #4980 are now gone
    The sanding tower may still be in use by Burlington Northern today
    The color photos were taken in 1980 prior to the structures being destroyed
    The roundhouse photo depicts door changes made after the turntable was no longer used
    Photo #6, my grandfather, Emil Drozd is at the far right, standing with his hand on hip. He was a machinist in the roundhouse for 45 years

    Photo #1 - Sanding tower - sand is applied to rails to increase traction
    Photo #2 - Turntable - rotating bridge
    Photo #3 - Turntable - rotating bridge
    Photo #4 - Roundhouse - multi stalled structure
    Photo #5 - CB&Q steam locomotive #4980
    Photo #6 - Roundhouse employees
    Photo #7 - St Joseph & Grand Island loco nearing the roundhouse
    Photo #8 - Turntable - rotating bridge
    Photo #9 - Turntable - rotating bridge
    Photo #10 - CB&Q Turntable & roundhouse circa 1968
    Photo #11 - Circa 1971 - Burlington Route GP7 Locomotive #1557
    Photo #12 - CB&Q Turntable & Roundhouse - both are now gone






    CB&Q ROUNDHOUSE & YARDS
    AERIAL VIEW
    CIRCA: 1950'S
    6th & Atchison

    The CB&Q roundhouse & turntable are visible
    The patch of trees visible above the grain mill is the Florence Addition
    Florence Road is visible connecting to King Hill Avenue on the left
    Burlington closed this connection to King Hill Avenue many years ago




    1 2

    CB&Q YARD OFFICE
    500 E. Lake Blvd

    This structure no longer exists

    Photo #1 - circa 1949: employees of the yard office
    Photo #2 - circa 1949: same as photo #1 with employee names added
    Photos submitted by Rodney Keyes



    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

    CHICAGO GREAT WESTERN
    CHICAGO & NORTHWESTERN

    The Chicago Great Western Railway (CGW) was a Midwestern line that operated in Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota, Kansas, and Nebraska. The CGW was able to retain its share of passenger and freight business for 83 years
    In the early 1960's the trucking & airlines had taken much of the freight & passenger business handled by railroads
    On Monday, July 1, 1968, the CGW ceased to exist, as it became part of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway (C&NW)
    The Chicago Great Western Freight house was located at 401 South 3rd Street
    The Chicago Great Western Railroad was a railroad that linked Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha, St Joseph and Kansas City
    After 1892, through mergers and new construction, the railroad quickly became a multi-state carrier

    It was nicknamed the "Corn Belt Route" because of its operating area in the midwest

    The Chicago & Northwestern Railway abandoned most of CGW's trackage

    CGW tracks ran from St Joseph to Des Moines Iowa and south to Kansas City
    The Chicago Great Western Railroad company was located in Union Depot for many years
    The Chicago Great Western yards and rails in North St Joseph have been removed

    Photo #1 - Chicago Great Western Freight house that was located at 401 South 3rd Street
    Photo #2 - Chicago Great Western Freight house that was located at 401 South 3rd Street
    Photo #3 - 1971 Chicago & Northwestern coming into St Joseph yards
    Photo #4 - Chicago & Northwestern logo
    Photo #5 - Chicago Great Western yards in North St Joseph, Maple Leaf Parkway
    Photo #6 - Advertising blotter for Chicago Great Western
    Photo #7 - RRPictureArchives.net Rick Morgan's photo of CNW Yards and Freight Depot
    Photo #8 - CGW freight passing through Rock Island & Terminal Yards on South 8th Street
    Photo #9 - C&NW Southbound Freight was taken at St. Joseph April 22 1973 by W A Gibson SR






    Circa 1893
    ROCK ISLAND TICKET OFFICE
    Unknown Address





    1 2 3 4 5 6 7

    Circa 1854
    CHICAGO, ROCK ISLAND & PACIFIC (CRI&P)
    ROCK ISLAND (RI)

    In 1854, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific became commonly known as Rock Island
    The Chicago, Rock Island and Texas Railway Company had been chartered in Texas in 1892
    It opened rail service from Chicago, through both St. Joseph and Kansas City to Texas
    The Rock Island Railroad used St Joseph's Union Depot for many years




    1 2 3

    CHICAGO, ROCK ISLAND & PACIFIC
    LOCOMOTIVES (CRI&P)
    Photographed in St Joseph

    Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific commonly known as Rock Island

    Photo #1 - (1930) Chicago,Rock Island & Pacific #2051 2-8-0 Steam Locomotive
    Photo #2 - (1953) Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific #1010 75 ton Diesel
    Photo #3 - (1930) Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific #609 4-4-0 Steam Locomotive




    1 2 3 4

    FRANCIS STREET
    BAGGAGE & FREIGHT STATION
    3rd & Angelique Street

    This was the Francis Street freight and baggage station
    It was once located in the 400 block of South 3rd
    CB& Q and Chicago North Western (CNW) used to stop here
    Photo #4 was taken in 1910 - looks like a model railroad scene
    The building was razed in the 1970's




    Downtown

    FRANCIS STREET PASSENGER STATION
    Main & Francis Street

    CIRCA: 1890's
    Interior photo of the passenger station




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9

    HANNIBAL & ST JOSEPH RAILROAD

    The Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad opened on Wednesday, February 23, 1859
    It was the first railroad to cross Missouri starting in Hannibal in the northeast and going to St. Joseph, Missouri, in the northwest

    It is said to have carried the first letter to the Pony Express on April 3, 1860, in a train car pulled behind the locomotive called "Missouri"

    The Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad used the rails from St Joseph to Chicago almost from the start and in 1883, CB&Q acquired the Hannibal & St Joseph railroad

    The rail connection between Hannibal and St. Joseph remained in place for about 125 years
    On March 2, 1970, the railroad became the property of Burlington Northern after the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad merged with 3 other railroads to form the new Burlington Northern company

    Photo #1 - Company check circa 1873
    Photo #2 - The "Missouri" locomotive
    Photo #3 - 1860 Hannibal & St Joseph Railroad route across Missouri
    Photo #4 - A Hannibal & St Joseph Locomotive
    Photo #5 - A Hannibal & St Joseph mail car
    Photo #6 - Hannibal & St Joseph mail car
    Photo #7 - Outside cover page of 2 train schedules
    Photo #8 - Photo & Information about the Hannibal & St Joseph mail car
    Photo #9 - Interior of a Hannibal & St Joseph mail car




    Interurban1 Interurban2 Interurban3 Interurban4 Interurban5 Interurban6 Interurban7 Interurban8 Interurban9 Interurban10 Interurban11 Interurban12 Interurban13 Interurban14 Interurban15 Interurban16 17 18

    KANSAS CITY, CLAY COUNTY
    & ST JOSEPH RAILWAY INTERURBAN
    ST JOSEPH & SAVANNAH
    INTERURBAN RAILWAY

    KANSAS CITY, CLAY COUNTY & ST JOSEPH RAILWAY INTERURBAN

    The interurban was a light rail system in which single cars traveled powered by an overhead electric wire

    From the early 1900's until 1933, the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Railway was an electrified interurban railway that ran between Kansas City Missouri and St. Joseph

    It was the longest of the various interurbans serving Kansas City running nearly 60 miles and extended another 10 miles to Savannah, Missouri

    The interurban ran hourly. Fare was $1.55 and it took nearly two hours from downtown St Joseph to downtown Kansas City

    One line went from Kansas City to St. Joseph and Savannah, another line went from Kansas City to Excelsior Springs

    For 20 years, the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Railway (KCCC & STJ) also known as the Interurban traveled between Savannah, St Joseph, Dearborn, Kansas City and Excelsior Springs until March 10, 1933

    The Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Railway, once valued at over $5 million dollars, was auctioned off on August 21, 1934 for $155,600
    ST JOSEPH & SAVANNAH INTERURBAN RAILWAY

    The St. Joseph and Savannah Interurban Railway was a 13-mile interurban electric railway that ran between St. Joseph and Savannah, Missouri from 1910 to 1939

    It was operated by the St. Joseph Railway, Light, Heat and Power Company, which operated the trolley system in St. Joseph

    It began, on July 5, 1910 to compete with the Chicago Great Western Railroad

    It consisted of three wooden cars and headed north on the streetcar line down St. Joseph Avenue and terminated four blocks west of the square in Savannah

    The line connected to the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Railway

    Photo #1 - St Joseph - Savannah Interurban on trestle
    Photo #2 - Kansas City, Excelsior Springs, St Joseph Interurban
    Photo #3 - Dick Johnson, St Joseph- Savannah
    Photo #4 - St Joseph-Savannah Interurban crews
    Photo #5 - St Joseph - Savannah Interurban just outside of Savannah, MO
    Photo #6 - Map showing path of the Interurban
    Photo #7 - Interurban car turned into a diner
    Photo #8 - Interurban trestle near Dearborn
    Photo #9 - Kansas City - St Joseph Interurban
    Photo #10 - Kansas City - Dearborn - St Joseph Interurban
    Photo #11 - Interurban bridge crossing the Southwest Parkway
    Photo #12 - Arrival of the 1st Interurban car on April 29, 1913
    Photo #13 - St Joseph-Savannah Interurban 1911-1939
    Photo #14 - A junked interurban car
    Photo #15 - Kansas City-St Joseph Interurban car
    Photo #16 - Interurban stop - unknown location or year
    Photo #17 - Current photo of the Interurban station in Savannah Missouri
    Photo #18 - St Joseph & Savannah Interurban Round trip Pass
    Photo #1 submitted by Wheeler Schmidt




    1 2 3 4

    MISSOURI PACIFIC FREIGHT DEPOT
    302 Sylvanie Street






    Circa 1980-1988
    OKLAHOMA KANSAS & TEXAS (OKT)
    MISSOURI, KANSAS & TEXAS (MKT)

    The Oklahoma Kansas Texas (OKT) railroad was formed after the Rock Island shutdown on 5/29/80
    The original operation ran from Fort Worth to St. Joseph
    Employee Timetable System #1 was issued on 6/29/80
    Windy Bonta was the freight agent assigned to St. Joseph
    They used Locomotives leased from Conrail & cabooses from Alaska & Conrail
    MKT Power & a caboose with OKT stenciled on it was what the Topeka-St. Joseph line saw
    The Rock Island Trustees were unwilling to sale the St. Joseph-Topeka portion
    The company folded 12/31/81
    A second OKT/MKT was created and survived from 1982-1988 but didn't contain the St. Joseph line






    NORTHEAST KANSAS & MISSOURI RAILROAD (NEKM)
    CIRCA 1990

    The Northeast Kansas & Missouri Railroad was a short-lived regional railroad created when Union Pacific sold their line between Marysville, Kansas and St. Joseph in February 1990
    The NEK & M was successful but Union Pacific decided to repurchase the line to use the Maryville - Hiawatha portion of the line for coal train routing
    NEK & M ran their last train into St. Joseph in April 1999
    Most of Northeast Kansas & Missouri's traffic was west of Hiawatha
    Union Pacific had little interest in trackage east of there
    Although the tracks remain across the swing bridge into St. Joseph, UP abandoned the line west of Elwood, Kansas to Robinsons
    Information provided by Scott Muskopf, Kirkwood MO





    ST JOSEPH BELT RAILWAY OFFICE
    MISSOURI PACIFIC FREIGHT DEPOT
    UNION TERMINAL RAILWAY COMPANY
    I & M MACHINE SHOP
    401 South 3rd Street

    The structure still exists, occupied by I & M Machine Shop




    1 2 3

    ST JOSEPH & DENVER CITY RAILROAD

    Originally this was the Marysville or Palmetto and Roseport Railroad
    In 1862, it was renamed St. Joseph and Denver City Railroad
    St. Joseph and Denver City Railroad existed from 1862 to 1876
    In 1873, the St Joseph & Denver City Railroad consisted of 19 locomotives and an assortment of passenger and freight cars in good condition
    In 1876, St Joseph & Denver City became the St. Joseph & Pacific RR
    In 1877, St. Joseph & Pacific Railroad became St. Joseph & Western RR
    In 1885, St. Joseph & Western Railroad became St. Joseph & Marysville RR
    In 1885, St. Joseph & Marysville Railroad became St. Joseph & Grand Island RR
    St. Joseph & Grand Island came under control of the Union Pacific Railroad Co

    Photo #1 - Railroad pass
    Photo #2 - St Joseph & Denver City train
    Photo #3 - 1870 St Joseph-Denver City RR $500 Bond Certificate




    1 2 3 4 5 6

    ST JOSEPH & GRAND ISLAND RAILWAY

    The St. Joseph and Grand Island Railway (SJ&GI) was created about 1879 when the St. Joseph and Western Railroad (SJ&W) built a line from Hastings to Grand Island, Nebraska
    Upon completion of the line, the SJ&W was reorganized into the SJ&GI, which was owned by the Union Pacific Railway Company

    Brief history of the St. Joseph and Grand Island Railway (SJ&GI)
    1857 - Palmetto & Roseport RR was chartered to build a railroad from Roseport, Ks to Palmetto, Ks
    1857 - The new road to be built was intended to be an extension of the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad
    1859 - Construction began on the Palmetto & Roseport Railroad (P&R)
    1860 - The railroad was completed to Wathena, a distance of 5 miles
    1860-1865 - Construction had ceased during the Civil War years
    1862 - Palmetto & Roseport Railroad was renamed to St. Joseph & Denver City Railroad (SJ&DC)
    1862 - The SJ&DC obtained the right to maintain a railroad from Kansas border to Ft. Kearney, Nebraska
    1866 - The Northern Kansas Railroad Company was consolidated with the SJ&DC
    1867 - Land grants and bond issues were created for continued construction west from St. Joseph
    1869 - The SJ&DC had laid 14 miles of track to Troy, Kansas
    1871 - Construction of a bridge over the Missouri River at St, Joseph was begun July 25,1871
    1872 - By December 1872, the SJ&DC had completed a distance of 227 miles to Hastings, Nebraska
    1873 - The Missouri River bridge at St Joseph was completed
    1879 - The SJ&DC name was changed to the St. Joseph & Western Railroad (SJ&W)
    1879 - An extension was built at Grand Island connecting the road with the Union Pacific Railroad
    1879 - The road name was changed to the St. Joseph and Grand Island Railway (SJ&GI)
    1879 - The Missouri River bridge ownership fell under St. Joseph and Grand Island (SJ&GI) control
    1880 - Union Pacific gained control of the St. Joseph and Grand Island Railway
    1931 - SJ&GI operated two steam passenger trains between St. Joseph and Grand Island
    1931 - SJ&GI also ran two mixed trains (passenger & freight) between Hastings and Grand Island
    1938 - A single McKeen motor car now runs from St. Joseph and Grand Island
    1938 - Gasoline powered motor buses replaced the mixed trains
    1950 - The motor car is still operating but motor buses are now gone
    1955 - Former SJ&GI is now Union Pacific and is freight only, no more passenger cars
    2000 - The Union Pacific continues to operate the majority of the former SJ&GI line

    Photo #1 - St. Joseph and Grand Island Railway caboose
    Photo #2 - St. Joseph and Grand Island Railway loco entering the roundhouse area
    Photo #3 - The St Joseph & Grand Island Railway route in 1931
    Photo #4 - St Joseph & Grand Island McKeen all steel gasoline motor car
    Photo #5 - an example of a McKeen bus
    Photo #6 - St Joseph & Grand Island Railway Bond




    Railroad Bridge1 2 Railroad Bridge3 Railroad Bridge4 Railroad Bridge5 Railroad Bridge6 Railroad Bridge7 8 9 10

    ST JOSEPH & GRAND ISLAND
    SWING BRIDGE
    OVER THE MISSOURI RIVER

    The original bridge was not a swing bridge, see postcard photo #3
    This was the first railroad bridge built to cross the Missouri River at St Joseph
    It was built by the St. Joseph Bridge Building Company
    The completed bridge opened on May 20, 1873
    The St. Joseph & Denver City Railroad made the initial crossing
    The original bridge had six piers with three spans of 300 feet and one fixed span of 80 feet
    It had a draw span of 365 feet making the total span 1,345 feet long

    On June 16, 1879, the bridge was transferred to another party and operated under the name of the St. Joseph & Grand Island Railroad Company

    The bridge was primarily used by the Union Pacific railroad
    The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway and Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad also had trackage rights to the bridge

    In 1903, construction began on a new steel swing bridge, it was completed in 1906
    Although the bridge in 2014 is now totally covered by rust, it is still operational

    Photo #1 - 1875 article about the bridge
    Photo #2 - Newspaper article about rebuilding of the bridge beginning in 1903-1904
    Photo #3 - 1873 postcard showing the original stationary bridge
    Photo #4 - Looking down the tracks of the swing bridge
    Photo #5 - View with the bridge swung open
    Photo #6 - Old photo with bridge swung open
    Photo #7 - Late 1990's view of the bridge
    Photo #8 - CB&Q loco crossing the Missouri river via the swing bridge
    Photo #9 - 2000 photo of the bridge
    Photo #10 - 2000 photo of the bridge




    1 2

    ST JOSEPH SHORT LINE RAILROAD




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

    ST JOSEPH TERMINAL RAILROAD
    YARD OFFICE
    between 6th-8th & Monterey-Hickory Streets

    The St Joseph Terminal Railroad was located between 6th-8th & Monterey-Hickory Streets
    The yard office was a small shanty located in the middle of the yards
    Louis Waller was the Train master for the St. Joseph Terminal Railroad, he retired 1980
    The building in the photos are of what they called 'The Shanty'
    Inside this shanty, the Train master gave the engineers & switchmen their instructions
    Displayed are both inside and outside photos of the building
    It was a small structure and was in operation until 1975 when a new building was erected
    The old shanty no longer exists

    Photo #1 - 1992 outline of St Joseph Railroad history
    Photo #2 - 1984 article about the closing of the shortline
    Photo #3 - 1981 information about the closing of the terminal yards
    Photo #4 - 1975 St Joseph Terminal yard office
    Photo #5 - 1975 St Joseph Terminal yard office
    Photo #6 - 1975 Inside the yard office shanty
    Photo #7 - 1975 Inside the yard office shanty
    Photo #8 - 1975 Dewayne Wiley entering the shanty
    Photo #9 - 1975 Outside view of the yard office shanty
    Photo #10 - 1975 Outside view of the yard office shanty
    Photo #11 - 1975 L. F. Waller - Terminal Train Master business card
    All photos & information was submitted by Tracy Waller




    1 2 3 4

    ST JOSEPH TERMINAL RAILROAD
    ST JOSEPH TERMINAL WAREHOUSE

    The St Joseph Terminal Railroad was owned 50-50 by Sante Fe and Union Pacific

    Photo #1 - Union Pacific Terminal Locomotive #44400
    Photo #2 - St Joseph Terminal Railroad Switcher #2
    Photo #3 - Advertisement for Terminal Warehouses
    Photo #4 - Circa 1973 - Switcher






    ST JOSEPH & WESTERN RAILROAD

    Construction of the St Joseph & Western Railroad (SJ&W) began in 1867
    By October, 1871, the railroad had 182 miles of completed road westward from Elwood to Marysville, Kansas
    In 1872, it had completed a line to Hastings, NE, 227 miles from the Missouri River
    The road was sold on foreclosure in November, 1875
    In 1879, the road came under control of the Union Pacific Railway Company







    SHANTY AT WEST MISSOURI AVENUE
    RAILROAD CROSSING 1972




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

    UNION DEPOT aka UNION STATION
    1221 South 6th

    The first depot opened 1890-1891 (See photo #5)

    On February 10, 1895, the original depot burned down (see photo #34)

    In 1896, a new depot was built to replace the original (see photo #1)

    November 1934, the "Silver Streak Zephyr" made it's maiden run
    K.C., St.Joseph, Omaha & Lincoln

    Railroad lines serviced here: Santa Fe - Burlington Route - Chicago Great Western
    Rock Island - Missouri Pacific - Union Pacific

    During the late 1950's and early 1960's, the Burlington Route, Chicago Great Western and Rock Island moved out of the Union Depot into their own stations

    Soon after, all passenger trains were discontinued thus the depot was not needed

    This once beautiful structure was located on South 6th Street, just north of Mitchell

    It had marble floors and gold plated bathroom fixtures

    At one time, 50 to 90 passenger trains came through this station daily

    The depot sat empty for many years
    Burlington razed the building in 1960 without notifying anyone

    The Union Depot contained the following companies:
    St Joseph Depot Company, Union Station Cafe, Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad station, Chicago Rock Island & Pacific Railroad station, Union Pacific Railroad passenger station, Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad passenger station, Chicago Great Western Railroad passenger station, St Joseph Union Depot baggage room, Yellow Cab Company and Western Union Telegraph Company


    Photo #1 - 1886 St Joseph Union Depot
    Photo #2 - 1934 "Silver Streak Zephyr" maiden run
    Photo #3 - Engineer L.P. Miller and his grandchild
    Photo #4 - Engineer L.P. Miller and his grandchild
    Photo #5 - St Joseph's 2 Union Depots
    Photo #6 - CB & Q Doodlebug at Union Station
    Photo #7 - 1959 photo of depot inside
    Photo #8 - Trolley at depot
    Photo #9 - Union Station Restaurant
    Photo #10 - Union Station Cafe
    Photo #11 - Hannibal & St Joseph RR mail car
    Photo #12 - 1862 Engine #35 & mail car
    Photo #13 - Zephyr Vista Dome advertisement
    Photo #14 - Rear view of Union Depot
    Photo #15 - City bus unloading at the Union Depot
    Photo #16 - CB & Q Doodlebug at Union Station
    Photo #17 - CB & Q 0-6-0 switcher in 1938
    Photo #18 - CB & Q 2-6-2 locomotive at Depot
    Photo #19 - 1955 Burlington Zephyr at Depot
    Photo #20 - St Joseph Union Depot about 1920
    Photo #21 - Depot scene in the 1950's
    Photo #22 - Hannibal & St Joseph RR mail car
    Photo #23 - The original Union Depot
    Photo #24 - View looking east from yards
    Photo #25 - Union Depot Cafe lunch counter
    Photo #26 - President Taft at Union Depot
    Photo #27 - Circa 1911 Union Depot backside
    Photo #28 - Francis Kneib & CB&Q EMD E7
    Photo #29 - 1941 Zephyr coming into Union Depot
    Photo #30 - Color Postcard
    Photo #31 - Short order Lunch Counter
    Photo #32 - Restaurant area
    Photo #33 - The first Union Depot
    Photos #2,3,4 were submitted by Ken West
    Photo #24 submitted by Rick Stafford
    Photo #28 submitted by David Kneib






    1 2 3

    UNION PACIFIC RAILROAD
    2 STALL ENGINE HOUSE

    This remaining structure was once a Union Pacific 2 stall engine house
    It later was used as a freight depot
    The building sits due west of Schreiber Mills, between 6th & 8th Street, south of Mitchell Avenue
    Photos were taken in 2014 by David Osgood




    1 2

    UNION PACIFIC RAILROAD
    YARDS, ROUNDHOUSE & TURNTABLE
    CIRCA: 1930'S

    The Union Pacific railroad yards, roundhouse & turntable were located on the east side of 6th Street between Monterey and Oak
    The roundhouse was destroyed by fire in the 1930's
    8th Street is in the top right corner and 6th Street in the bottom left corner
    Most everything is gone now except for a few tracks

    Photo #1 - Aerial view covering from 6-8th and Monterey to Oak
    Photo #2 - Union Pacific yards, approximately at 6th & Monterey






    UNKNOWN ROAD NAME
    UNKNOWN LOCATION

    Unknown circa, road name, people or location





    UNION TERMINAL RAILWAY

    The Union Terminal Railway company was owned wholly by Missouri Pacific
    Trackage was located along the Missouri River and the yard used by Missouri Pacific




    PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



    Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
    Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


    Return To Main Menu