index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind


Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

LISTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER





Circa 1899
AMBROSE MANUFACTURING COMPANY
IRON WORKS
8th & Monterey

The building no longer exists, it is now occupied by Wire Rope






Circa 1917
ANCHOR SERUM
24th & Frederick Avenue

Anchor Serum was once located at 24th & Frederick Avenue
The building is now called Frederick Towers and rents office space
Photo submitted by Terry McGinnis




1 2 3 4

Circa 1959
ANCHOR SERUM
PHILLIPS ROXANE
BOEHRINGER-INGELHEIM
2621 North Belt

Originally Anchor Serum, in 1959 it became Phillips Roxane

It is located on the southeast corner of Belt & Gene Field Road

It is currently Boehringer-Ingelheim, now one of the city's largest employers

They are constantly expanding, adding new structures and parking lots

Notes for photo #4: (better copy of #3)
The 1st Pizza Hut in St Joseph visible bottom right
Derby service station lights visible bottom left, building hiding structure
The Derby station no longer exists

Photo #1 - 1966 newspaper aerial photo
Photo #2 - 1977 aerial photo of Phillips Roxane
Photo #3 - an old aerial photo of Anchor Serum
Photo #4 - 1966 aerial photo of Anchor Serum




1 2 3 4

ANDRIANO BOTTLING COMPANY
IMEL & CRANE BOTTLING
IMEL & STUMP BOTTLING
116-118 North 2nd
112 South 2nd
813 Patee

Manufacturer of Cider, Ginger Ale and Mineral Waters

The plant was located at 116-118 N. 2nd street around 1877-1879

The plant was moved to 112 S. 2nd Street around 1880-1887

In later years the plant was located at 813 Patee

IMEL & CRANE were the proprietors of the Andriano Bottling Company

Ira Oscar Imel and Casper Stump later purchased the company

Ira Oscar Imel died on April 30, 1927 at his residence, 827½ South 8th Street

Ira Oscar Imel was 55 years of age

None of the original buildings still exist

Photo #1 - Andriano soda bottle
Photo #2 - Andriano serving tray
Photo #3 - Notice of business sale
Photo #4 - Imel & Crane soda bottle David Taylor found buried in his yard




1 2 3

ARMOUR & COMPANY PACKING HOUSE

Armour & Company was a meatpacking company founded in Chicago, in 1867
The St Joseph packing house was located in the stockyard area
The structure no longer exists

Photo #1 - 1930's Armour Packing House Beef Kill Crew
Photo #2 - 1943 photo of Armour & Co Meat Packing House
Photo #3 - Armour truck fleet in the 1930's




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1890
ARTESIAN ICE & COLD STORAGE
NOR-AM ICE & COLD STORAGE
Main & Jules Streets
2nd & Atchison
2700 Stockyards Expressway

The St Joseph Artesian Ice & Cold Storage Company was formed on Dec 27, 1890
An ice block plant was constructed on the southeast corner of Main & Jules streets
Huston Wyeth served as president until 1914
In 1916, Artesian Ice Company was consolidated with St Joseph Ice & Mfg
Control was passed to the M K Goetz family
Albert Peet and the Goetz family operated a rendering company at 2nd & Atchison
In later years, a new warehouse was constructed at 2700 Stockyards Expressway, near the stockyards
In 2009 Nor-Am Ice & Cold Storage purchased Artesian Ice and continues the 120 year tradition

Photo #1 - M. I. Rawlings ice delivery company & a brief history of Artesian Ice
Photo #2 - Ice plant at 2nd & Atchison and the plant at Main & Jules Streets
Photo #3 - Artesian Ice pickup truck
Photo #4 - 1891 Artesian Ice & Cold Storage stock certificate
Photo #5 - A sign customers displayed in window for showing how much Ice wanted




1 2 3 4 5 6

BLUE VALLEY CREAMERY
MEADOW GOLD DAIRY
323 North Main

Blue Valley Creamery Company was founded by Huston Wyeth and James A. Walker in Chicago around 1900

The Blue Valley Creamery Company was incorporated in Missouri on May 1, 1900

The Missouri business was to be conducted in St. Joseph

Huston Wyeth's father, William Maxwell Wyeth, who had built a hardware, saddlery and real estate empire in St. Joseph, took over the Blue Valley Creamery business in St Joseph

William Maxwell Wyeth formed the Artesian Ice & Cold Storage Company in 1892

In 1918, Blue Valley Creamery Company was the 4th largest U.S. butter company

Blue Valley Creamery was acquired by Beatrice Creamery Company in 1939

Meadow Gold was a brand of Beatrice Creamery

Photo #1 - 1930'S photo of the Blue Valley fleet & employees
Photo #2 - Meadow Gold milk cartons
Photo #3 - Meadow Gold logo
Photo #4 - Horse drawn delivery wagon
Photo #5 - Home delivery of dairy products
Photo #6 - Meadow Gold dairy






BUELL WOOLEN MILL
813 North 3rd Street

The building no longer exists, it is now occupied by Wire Rope






BYRNE LUMBER COMPANY
1502 Middleton






CARSWELL MANUFACTURING COMPANY
816 North 3rd Street

The building no longer exists




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

CHASE CANDY COMPANY
5th & Slyvanie
3600 Leonard Road
1307 South 59th

The Chase Candy Company began in 1876 as a fruit and produce business

In 1944, F.S. Yantis and Company purchased the Chase Candy Company and still owns it today

Chase Candy Company is the 3rd oldest candy company in the USA

Around 1918, The Chase Cherry Mash candy bar was invented

In the early 1920s, Chase built a modern four-story factory in downtown St. Joseph

The building is located on the southwest corner of 5th & Sylvanie

Chase also has a warehouse located at 1109 North 3rd Street

By 1926, after 50 years in business, Chase had made more than 500 different kinds of candies, including an extensive line of candy bars

Companies known to have been in the building at 5th & Sylvanie:
Chase Candy, Dannen Mills & Farmland

In 1957, Dannen Mills purchased the building from Chase

In the 1960's Chase purchased the Poe Candy Company located at 1109 North 3rd Street which had been started by a former Chase Candy employee

Chase Candy built a new plant at 3600 South Leonard Road then moved once more
Chase Candy Company is currently located in an industrial park at 1307 South 59th Street

Photo #1 - Chase Candy as it once looked at 5th & Sylvanie
Photo #2 - View of the operation in the 1950's & 1960's
Photo #3 - Cherry Mash Candy made by Chase Candy
Photo #4 - Chase Candy tin
Photo #5 - One of Chase's plants located elsewhere
Photo #6 - Chase advertisement
Photo #7 - Chase plant at 1307 South 59th
Photo #8 - an old box of Cherry Mash candy bars
Photo #9 - Old advertisement of the 5th & Sylvanie plant
Photo #10 - 5th & Sylvanie building
Photo #11 - 1957 Newspaper article of Dannen Mills purchasing the building
Photo #12 - Very old advertisement
Photo #13 - Chase plant at 1307 South 59th
Photo #14 - Chase plant when it was at 3600 Leonard Road
Photo #15 - Ladies packing candy for mail order sales
Photo #2 was submitted by Rick Edwards
His mother is the lady that is standing




1 2

Circa 1898
COMBE PRINTING
315-319 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Photo #1 - 1899 Advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Circa 1926
CRIPE BAKING COMPANY
Circa 1927
RAINBO BREAD COMPANY
BREADEAUX PIZZA
23rd & Frederick Avenue

In 1926, Mr Cripe had conveyors and other baking equipment installed in his new 2 story bakery in St Joseph
The Cripe Baking Company was located at 23rd & Frederick Avenue

A. J. Cripe had operated bakeries in Garnett, Hutchison and St. Joseph, Mo

He had been in the baking business his entire life

According to records I have found, he sold his St. Joseph plant in 1927

Rainbo Bread Company of St Joseph was formed on 11/01/1927 by C T Corporation System

Rainbo Bakery occupied the building until the Cripe Baking Company closed down

For many years, Rainbo Bread served St Joseph with fresh bread on a daily basis

After Rainbo Bread shut down operations, Breadeaux Pizza occupied the building

Photo #1 - Cripe Bakery at 23rd & Frederick Avenue - circa: Unknown
Photo #2 - Rainbo Bread delivery truck
Photo #3 - 1966 photo of the inside of the bakery
Photo #4 - Rainbo bread wrapper
Photo #5 - Rainbo Bread newspaper advertisement
Photo #6 - 1932 newspaper Advertisement for Cripe Baking Company and Rainbo Bread
Photo #7 - Grocery store screen doors with Rainbo Bread advertising on them
Photo #8 - 1940's Rainbo Bread wax paper wrapper - side wiew
Photo #9 - 1940's Rainbo Bread wax paper wrapper - end view






DEGGINGER FOUNDRY
611 Hickory

Robert H Jones, Owner
Still in business




Douglas Candy1 Douglas Candy2 Douglas Candy3 Douglas Candy4 Douglas Candy5

DOUGLAS CANDY COMPANY
219 South 2nd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Douglas Candy was located on the east side of South 2nd, just south of Edmond

They specialized in hand dipped chocolate candy

Home of the Cherry Rounder, a large mound of cherry flavored candy covered with chocolate and crushed nuts with a whole maraschino cherry in the middle of a cherry flavored center. It was wrapped in transparent red paper

In the 1960's, the Rounder cost 10 cents and was larger than Chase's Cherry Mash

The downtown hotel now occupies this location

Photo #1 - Douglas Candy Company
Photo #2 - Douglas Candy fountain syrup jug
Photo #3 - 1929 photo of the Chocolate Room girls
Photo #4 - One gallon jar of Cocktail Cherries




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

DUGDALE PACKING COMPANY
SOUTH 11th STREET

By 1935, Harold P Dugdale had opened a meat packing plant on South 11th Street
Dugdale Packing was a major beef packing company that was located a few blocks south of Quaker Oats on 11th Street
Their building and parking lots were a welcome replacement of the "shanty town" which had been built at the location by the poverty stricken during the early years of the depression of the 1930's
Dugdale's Packing Plant also furnished employment for many South Park residents
It ceased operation because of some labor troubles

Photo #1 - As the building appears in 2012
Photo #2 - 1950 Dugdale Fleet photo
Photo #3 - 1930's kill floor
Photo #4 - Dugdale Packing in 1966
Photo #5 - Dugale Packing in 1920
Photo #6 - Zippo with Dugdale inscription
Photo #7 - Overview of Dugdale advertisement






EAST HILLS DAIRY
4718 Frederick Avenue

Joe Klein was the owner and operator
Joe Klein had a dairy products home delivery service for many years
Photo - 1975 Calendar






ELY & WALKER DRY GOODS
(Coat Plant)
221-225 North 3rd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Currently a large parking lot is at this location






Circa 1899
E. W. KLOS MANUFACTURING COMPANY
113-115 North 2nd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Photo - 1899 advertisement




1 2 3 4 5

EXCELLO FEEDS
DANNEN FEED MILL
22nd & Garfield
900 Lower Lake Road

By 1921, Excello Feeds was located at 22nd & Garfield and operated a mill there until being purchased by Dannen Milling Company sometime in the 1940's

On November 1953, fire destroyed the 7 story Dannen Feed Mill at 22nd & Garfield Avenue

Dannen constructed a new soybean mill at 900 Lower Lake Road

CMA purchased the Dannen facilities in 1963




1 2

GEECO SIGN COMPANY
1009 South 8th

I don't know when Geeco was located on South 8th Street

In the early 1960's I worked in the small parts department with Jim Kibble
When I worked for Geeco, they were located on South 4th St near Seaman & Shuske
Geeco manuactured all types of signs. I watched them make lighted and non-lighted telephone booth signs, soda pop machine signs and miscellaneous other lighted company signs made of plastic

They would silk screen the graphics onto clear plastic sheets
One day after work, I took home a trunk full of their discarded signs that were too thick, too thin, cut wrong, or had paint problems, they have sure come in handy over the years

Geeco is no longer in business




1 2

GENERAL MARINE (SPEEDLINER BOATS)
AMG RESOURCES MIDWEST
2435 South 6th

In the 1950's, General Marine built Speedliner boats and other marine items
The building is currently occupied by AMG, which is a recycling company
Photo #1 - 1950 magazine advertisement
Photo #2 - 1959 magazine advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1930's
GENERAL WOODWORKING
8th & Mitchell Avenue

General Woodworking was located on the southeast corner of 8th & Mitchell
Carl H Wellenkoetter born on July 5, 1906 in Germany, passed away Nov. 20, 1976
The master woodworker came to St. Joseph in the 1930s from Germany
He started a woodworking company near to what used to be Schreiber's Mill
The company went by various names over the years
During World War II, it was called Wellenkoetter Sash and Door
For most of it's life it was called General Woodworking
During the war he had a government contract to make mahogany glider seats and wing spars
Inside photos #4 & 5 were taken in 1970
Photo #6 is a photo of Carl H Wellenkoetter taken in the 1950's




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

HENRY KRUG PACKING PLANT
Circa 1868-1871
4th & Mary
Circa 1873
4th & Monterey

Henry Krug was born on March 21, 1822 and died on November 30, 1904

In 1868, Henry & his brother William Krug opened a packing plant at 4th & Mary

The plant closed in 1871

In 1871, a new Henry Krug Packing Plant was located at 4th & Monterey

Ice blocks cut from the Missouri River and Lake Contrary were used for cold storage purposes

In 1904, the packing plant was sold to Union Terminal Railway Company

The Krug plant had operated many years before Swift & Armour

Photo #1 - 1898 St Joseph News-Press newspaper photo of Krug Packing Plant crew
Photo #2 - 1894 St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement
Photo #3 - Early 1900's photos of the plant
Photo #4 - 1876 photo of Krug Packing Plant
Photo #5 - Business calling card
Photo #6 - Henry Krug Packing Plant
Photo #7 - The Kill Room
Photo #8 - The Dressing Room
Photo #9 - The Shipping Room




Hund & Eger1 Hund & Eger2 Hund & Eger3 Hund & Eger4 Hund & Eger5 Hund & Eger6 Hund & Eger7 Hund & Eger8 Hund & Eger9 Hund & Eger10 Hund & Eger11 Hund & Eger12 Hund & Eger13 14 Hund & Eger15 Hund & Eger16 Hund & Eger17 Hund & Eger18 Hund & Eger19 Hund & Eger20

Circa 1888
HUND & EGER BOTTLING
Main & Faraon Streets
13th & Frederick Avenue
421-423 North 2nd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

William Hund was an immigrant from Baden, Germany

In 1880, at age of 26, William Hund purchased ownership in a bottling company in St Joseph that was known as Dumke & Gleitze

The company was located at Main & Faraon and became known as Dumke & Hund

In 1888, Dumke sold his interest to Louis Eger and the Hund & Eger partnership was formed

The business was temporarily moved to 13th and Frederick Ave while a new bottling plant to be located at 421-423 North 2nd was being built

In 1890, the bottling operations were moved to 421-423 North 2nd Street and remained there until the company was sold in 1962

In 1905 an agreement was made with the Coca-Cola company to become a bottler of a new product called Coca-Cola

In 1908, Louis Eger died and his interest was purchased by the Hunds

This made it a totally family owned enterprise and was later incorporated as the Hund & Eger Bottling Company

The Coca-Cola Company did not want alcohol products in the same business location

Around 1935, a separate warehouse and special delivery trucks were acquired for the sales, storage & distribution alcohol products

By 1953, there were 2 Hund & Eger warehouses; one located at 418-420 North 2nd Street and another at 501-503 North 2nd Street

In the 1920s it was decided that Hund & Eger would discontinue other brands of soda water and sell their own formulations of different flavors

These flavors would be made of the finest ingrediants and use the best flavoring available

Only C & H Pure Cane Sugar would be used. Many bottlers at the time were using beet sugar which was cheaper but did not give the same flavor that was desired by the Hunds

Flavorings came in the form of concentrated extracts which was mixed with water and suger to form a syrup. A measured amount was inserted into a bottle then carbonated water was added. The extract for Hund & Eger grape soda was a Concord Grape flavor produced by the Welch Company

The lime extract was imported from Italy

Other extracts were choosen by how intense the flavor transferred to the finished product

The following flavors were sold in the same area as Coca-Cola and their combined sales equaled the sales of Coke year after year

Grape, Orange, Root Beer, Strawberry, Cherry, Lime, Cream, Grapefruit, Lemon and Lemon Sour

To this day, old timers from St. Joseph still make comments about their favorite Hund & Eger flavor when they were growing up

All of the flavors were truly state of the art and have never been matched

In 1962 the Kansas City Coca-Cola bottler made an offer to purchase the St. Joseph franchise and the Hund family sold the company

Kansas City had their own line of flavors, called Fanta, which was the also part of the Coca-Cola product line and the flavors sold with the name of Hund & Eger were discontinued

Thus dies one of America's best soft drinks

The location is currently a parking lot, another historical landmark is now gone

Many thanks to Louis Hund, Jr for providing most of the above information

Photo #1 - 1923 building & vehicles
Photo #2 - Hund & Eger soda bottle caps
Photo #3 - Hund & Eger glass soda bottle
Photo #4 - Inside the plant
Photo #5 - Hund & Eger glass
Photo #6 - Vintage soda bottle
Photo #7 - Hund & Eger Sales Ticket
Photo #8 - Wholesale beer location on Main Street
Photo #9 - Modern fleet & salesmen
Photo #10 - Hund & Eger soda bottle
Photo #11 - 1960 7.5 oz Hund & Eger soda bottle
Photo #12 - 1905 Hund & Eger Bottling delivery wagon
Photo #13 - Hund & Eger bottling 421-423 North 2nd
Photo #14 - Dumke & Hund sign
Photo #15 - Dumke & Hund bottle
Photo #16 - Dumke & Hund bottle
Photo #17 - Very old Hund & Eger soda bottle
Photo #18 - Hund & Eger drinking glass
Photo #19 - Hund & Eger Grape bottle cap
Photo #20 - 1954 St Joseph News-Press article
Photos #1-8 submitted by Louis Hund Jr






Circa 1889
HUTTIG MOSS MANUFACTURING CO.
South 4th - From Seneca to Michell Ave

Photo - 1889 Advertisement






Circa 1899
J. A. SCHROER & COMPANY
South 4th - From Seneca to Michell Ave

Photo - 1889 Advertisement




1 2

Circa 1890-1893
JOHN MORAN PACKING
UNKNOWN ADDRESS

Born in Ireland, John Moran & his mother came to the United States in 1862
John Moran worked in Chicago with his partner James T. Healy from 1866 to 1878 in the packing house industry
John came to St Joseph in 1890 when his partner retired
John Moran opened his own packing house in St Joseph until it closed in 1893
In 1893, after some financial problems, he went back to Chicago, Illinois






Circa 1853
JOSEPH KUECHLE BREWERY
E. J. KUECHLE BREWERY
KUECHLE & GREINER BREWERY
JOHN B HUBER & CO
ST JOSEPH BREWING CO
7th & Charles

5 brewery companies where known to be in operation at 7th & Charles 1853 to 1895
- the exact address is not known -
Trade Names for the brewery at 7th & Charles are listed below:
Joseph Kuechle 1853-1875
E. J. Kuechle 1875-1880
Kuechle & Greiner 1880-1882
John B. Huber & Co. 1882-1888
St Joseph Brewing Co. 1888-1895
The brewery ceased operation and closed in 1895
Status of the building is unknown
Photo - 1881 St Joseph Daily Gazette advertisement




Karle Carriage1 Karle Carriage2

Circa 1876
KARLE CARRIAGE WORKS
802 South 9th

Alphonse Karle founded Karle Carriage Works in 1876
John Karle continued the business from 1963 until his death in 1999
On October 20, 2000 Karle Carriage Works closed after 125 years in business
The original company repaired broken wagon wheels and other wagon parts

Then the company began selling carriages, buggies and spring wagons

As America's modes of transportation changed so did the Karle business

Karle Carriage Works were in business for five generations

Karle's services ranged from towing to bodywork

Karle Carriage Works specialties included the straightening of frames on cars and trucks and the rebuilding of those vehicles






LARABEE MILLS
900 LAKE AVENUE




Letts Box1 Letts Box2 Letts Box3

LETTS BOX COMPANY
1802-1822 South 4th St
(4th & Jackson)

W.T. Letts, who had immigrated here from England, began this company

It was later turned over to his son Joe Letts, Sr

When he retired, his sons Joe Letts, Jr. and Warren Letts took it over the business

Letts Box Company manufactured wooden boxes, such as egg crates, fruit boxes, chicken coops, pint berry boxes, etc.

By the mid 1960's, the demand for wooden boxes declined greatly, everyone began using cardboard and paper boxes, the business was dissolved in 1967

Check out the neat brick street

The structure no longer exists, it was removed during the construction of I-229

Photo #1 - Letts Box Company as it appeared in 1918
Photo #2 - 1958 Letts Fruit crate
Photo #3 - 1958 Letts Fruit crate
Photo #1 donated by Rodney Keyes
Photo #2 donated by Travis Freeman
Photo #3 donated by Travis Freeman
Company information provided by W.T. Lett's great granddaughter, Marly Letts






LFM FOUNDRY
(Locomotive Finishing Materials)
2526 South 4th Street

The structure no longer exists




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Circa 1899
LOUIS FUELLING & SONS
STEAM BOTTLING WORKS
Corner of Franklin & Levee
Corner of Franklin & Dewey Avenue
Circa 1955
MIDLAND BOTTLING COMPANY
1001 Dewey Avenue

Louis Fuelling, born on Apr. 10, 1836 in Germany, died Nov. 30, 1915 in St Joseph

Louis Fuelling is buried at Mount Mora Cemetery

Louis Fuelling was the proprietor of Louis Fuelling and Sons

Louis Fuelling & Sons was incorporated 4/13/1921

Their headquarters were at 1001 Dewey Avenues

They manufactured high-grade soda water, ginger ale and seltzer water

They were also agents for Schlitz Beer in brown bottles

In 1955 directory, Midland Bottling Company was listed at this address
They bottled Kist beverages, Squirt, B1 Lemon-Lime Soda and Canada Dry
The building remains standing today as well as the Fuelling house
Photos #7-#13 were taken by Charlotte Carpenter in 2016

Photo #1 - 1800's drawing of the Steam Bottling Works
Photo #2 - Current photo of the building
Photo #3 - Louis Fuelling glass bottle
Photo #4 - Newspaper advertisement for Steam Bottling Works
Photo #5 - Very old advertising sign for Ginger Ale and other flavors
Photo #6 - Mount Mora gravesite of Louis Fuelling
Photo #7 - Front view & loading dock
Photo #8 - Advertising on brick sidewall
Photo #9 - Close up of the loading dock
Photo #10 - Current photo of the building
Photo #11 - Current photo of the building
Photo #12 - Current photo of the Fuelling home
Photo #13 - Current photo of the Fuelling home




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

M. K. GOETZ BREWERY
PEARL BREWERY
6th & ALBEMARLE

The Goetz Brewery was located on Sixth Street between Lincoln and Albemarle

Michael Karl Goetz, a native of Germany, started the brewery in 1858. His family continued the prosperous company in St Joseph until 1960, when they sold it to Pearl Brewing of San Antonio

The St. Joseph plant focused on production of Goetz's popular Country Club Malt Liquor. When San Antonio was able to produce the malt liquor, it pretty much ensured the plant would be closing down

Dick DeShon, a local beer enthusiast who married into the Goetz family, said Pearl Brewing had offered the family a deal they couldn't refuse in a time when big-time beer makers were beginning to saturate the market

The building sat empty for many years, at one point,a child playing on the roof fell through and the building was deemed unsafe

Many jobs were lost when it closed. It was a great loss for the city

Miss Snowcap promoted Goetz Brewery products in television commercials back in 1950's

The Missouri Department of Natural Resources requested the building to be demolished because of the high level of asbestos in the empty structure

The brewery was demolished in 1987 costing Pearl Brewery at least $250,000 mainly due to the cost of removing the asbestos

The property has been a large empty field now for many years

Photo #1 - Postcard
Photo #2 - Old photo
Photo #3 - color photo
Photo #4 - Country Club truck
Photo #5 - As the lot looks in 2013
Photo #6 - As the lot looks in 2013
Photo #7 - Miss Snowcap
Photo #8 - Country Club beer tray
Photo #9 - Country Club beer tray
Photo #10 - Photo taken in 1934
Photo #11 - Goetz matchbooks
Photo #12 - Color photo
Photo #13 - Goetz containers
Photo #14 - 1949 Calandar
Photo #15 - Goetz can opener
Photo #16 - Old 6 pack box
Photo #17 - 1987 newspaper photo
Photo #18 - Goetz beer cans
Photo #19 - 1930's Goetz sales team
Photo #20 - 1934 employees
Photo #21 - Goetz advertisement
Photo #22 - Pearl Brewery in 1965
Photo #23 - Inside views
Photo #24 - Inside the brewery
Photo #25 - Goetz brochures
Photo #26 - Case of Pearl beer
Photo #27 - Country Club beer case
Photo #28 - 1911 advertisement
Photo #29 - 1950's photo workers
Photo #30 - Goetz smoke stack
Photo #31 - Country Club Beer
Photo #32 - 1903 MK Goetz Stock
Photo #33 - 1915 photograph
Photo #34 - 1920's photograph
Photo #35 - 1915 photograph
Photo #36 - Miss Snowcap
Photo #37 - 1899 Advertisement
Photo #38 - 1899 Advertisement
Photo #39 - Overall view







McDONALD SHIRT FACTORY
1202 Penn

Photo Circa 1911
In 1911, the McDonald Shirt factory was located in the Patee House






Circa 1899
MISSOURI ANCHOR FENCE COMPANY
8th-10th Streets & Grand Avenue

Photo - 1899 Advertisement




Morehead Brick

MOORHEAD BRICK & TILE
11th Street & 5th Avenue

Producers of high grade face brick, common brick and tile




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

MUELLER-KELLER CANDY COMPANY
JERSEY CEREAL COMPANY
609 North 2nd Street

Mueller-Keller Candy was replaced by Jersey Cereal in 1935
Wire Rope currently occupies this location

Photo #1 - Feb 1935 St Joseph News-Press article
Photo #2 - 1935 box of Jersey Corn Flakes cereal
Photo #3 - 1935 newspaper advertisemnet
Photo #4 - Mueller-Keller Candy advertisement
Photo #5 - 1923 can on Mueller-Keller Candy
Photo #6 - Mueller-Keller Salted Peanuts
Photo #7 - Child's candy pail, Uncle Wiggily
Photo #8 - Mueller-Keller's Elite Sugar Stick Candy
Photo #9 - Mueller-Keller's wooden candy bucket
Photo #10 - 1920 Mueller-Keller candy box cover
Photo #11 - 1910 Mueller-Keller candy company






Circa 1899
NATIONAL MANUFACTURING COMPANY

Photo - 1899 advertisement




4th & Jules1 4th & Jules2 4th & Jules3 4th & Jules4 4th & Jules5 6 4th & Jules7 4th & Jules8 4th & Jules9 4th & Jules10 4th & Jules11 4th & Jules12 4th & Jules13 4th & Jules14 4th & Jules15

NOMA ELECTRIC CORPORATION
NOMA LIGHTS
409-415 North 3rd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

NOMA was formed in 1925 as the National Outfit Manufacturer's Association

NOMA was an American company best known for making Christmas lights

Most of the Christmas lights were produced in St. Joseph, Missouri

In 1965, NOMA Lights Incorporated officially filed for bankruptcy

The end of the largest Christmas light manufacturer in the world had come, due in large part to foreign competition

Noma was once the largest manufacturer of holiday lighting in the world, but since 1967 it has only existed as a licensed trademark

The building was demolished during Urban Renewal

Currently a parking lot is occupying this location

Photo #1 - Noma Lights prior to demolition
Photo #2 - NOMA lights exhibit at the Patee House museum
Photo #3 - NOMA Lights building gone in seconds - part 1
Photo #4 - NOMA lights building gone in seconds - part 2
Photo #5 - NOMA Christmas lights
Photo #6 - Prior to it's destruction, it became an outlet store
Photo #7 - NOMA Christmas bubble lights
Photo #8 - NOMA Christmas bubble lights
Photo #9 - 1948 Advertisement for 26" & 18" Noma Bubble Lite Christmas Trees
Photo #10 - Lighted Angel for top of Christmas tree
Photo #11 - NOMA Lights advertisement
Photo #12 - St Joseph News Press article
Photo #13 - An assembly line at NOMA Lights
Photo #14 - A Christmas message
Photo #15 - Color Photo of NOMA Lights






Circa 1929
NORTON ICE CREAM COMPANY
1805 Garfield

Manufacturer of great tasting ice cream
Photo - 1929 advertisement
The building still exists




1 2

NOYES NORMAN SHOE COMPANY
401 North 3rd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The Norman Shoe Company was established in 1861

The Noyes Norman Shoe Co. was located on the northeast corner of 3rd and Faraon

In 1909, a neighboring building located at 415 North 3rd was an expansion of the company

The neighboring building was remodeled into an apartment building called The Lofts

Currently, the Noyes Norman building is gone, a parking lot occupies this location

Information provided by Andrew Poage
Photo #2 - 1912 Norman Shoe catalog




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

PEARL MILLING COMPANY
DAVIS MILLING COMPANY
AUNT JEMIMA MILLS
South 2nd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

In 1888, Chris L. Rutt and Charles G. Underwood purchased Pearl Milling Co.

Rutt and Underwood's Pearl Milling was faced with a flooded flour market

In 1889 they sold their flour as a ready-made pancake mix in white paper sacks

After seeing a minstrel show, they called their product Aunt Jemima pancake mix

Rutt's recipe is on display at the Patee House museum in St. Joseph

In 1890, Rutt and Underwood sold their company to the Davis Milling Company

In 1913, the R T Davis Milling Company was renamed as Aunt Jemima Mills

At this time, Aunt Jemima Mills was one of the city's largest employers

In 1926, the Quaker Oats Company bought the Aunt Jemima brand

In 1966, Quaker Oats introduced Aunt Jemima syrup

In 1985, Aunt Jemima Butter Lite syrup was introduced

In 1991, Aunt Jemima Butter Rich syrup was introduced

Chris L. Chris L. Rutt was the editor of St. Joseph Gazette until his passing in 1936

The mill was located on South 2nd Street, just south of Edmond Street

According to the sign on top of photo #2, they used to make Royal #10 Flour

Be sure to check out the vehicles & locomotive in the photos

Photo #1 - View of plant
Photo #2 - View of plant
Photo #3 - View of plant
Photo #4 - Aunt Jemima locomotive
Photo #5 - Aunt Jemima Mills
Photo #6 - Davis Milling Company
Photo #7 - Postcard
Photo #8 - 1895 book - Life of Aunt Jemima
Photo #9 - 1895 R.T. Davis Milling advertisement
Photo #10 - Davis Milling Company
Photo #11 - Davis Milling bag
Photo #12 - Aunt Jemima advertisement
Photo #13 - Aunt Jemima advertisement
Photo #14 - Rutt's original recipe
Photo #15 - Nancy Green, the original Aunt Jemima Logo







Circa 1899
PHOENIX BRICK COMPANY
Unknown Address

Photo - Circa 1899






POE CANDY COMPANY
1109 North 3rd Street

The structure still exists today




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Circa 1926
QUAKER OATS
LIFELINE FOODS
2811 South 11th

Every day the smell of the oats and puffed wheat was present in the area

The Quaker Oats cereals manufacturing plant opened in 1926

The plant produced hot and cold cereals, as well as pancake mixes

For 75 years, Quaker Oats was one of the largest employers in St Joseph

The longtime cereals manufacturing facility closed for good in May of 2001

Quaker Oats pulled out of St Joseph in 2001, putting over 600 employees out of work
Lifeline Foods now occupies the huge facility

LifeLine Foods is a leading innovative company producing products for both domestic and international markets

The items produced originate from two primary business enterprises; corn-based food ingredients and ethanol

The key advantage to LifeLine's business model is the unique ability to extract maximum value from the corn kernel and capitalize on both the food and ethanol production






Circa 1899
RICHARD DALTON BRICK MANUFACTURER
14th & Monterey & 17th & Duncan





1 2

RICHARDSON ROBERTS BYRNE
DRY GOODS MANUFACTURING
3rd & Jules Street





1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

ST JOSEPH FOODS
619-625 South 7th Street
3207 South 759 Highway

Manufacturer of jellies, preserves, apple butter, vinegar, syrups, and salad dressings

Aug. 1, 1945
The company began as a partnership:
Harold L. & Leora N. O'Reilly and J. E. Hunt
Aug. 20, 1948
The company was incorporated by H.L. O'Reilly and J. E. Hunt
Fred Hunt took over his father's interest when the J.E. passed away
Aug. 1948
The 7th street address was expanded
Nov. 1952
The 7th street address was expanded again
July, 1963
The company built a new and larger plant on 759 Highway
Mr O'Reilly paid for railroad tracks to be installed behind the building so he could receive his sugar and other supplies by rail
September 1968
The building was sold to the wood company who only had to change one letter on the building, making it St. Joseph Woods instead of St Joseph Foods
Much of the equipment was sold to a company starting a preserve and jelly factory on the island of Trinidad
Mr & Mrs O'Reilly moved to Trinidad for one year to help start that company (as an employee) and to develop new formulas using island fruits
Nov. 1969
The O'Reillys moved to Phoenix, Arizona
Mr O'Reilly became a Real Estate Professional, he passed away on January 7, 1993
Mrs O'Reilly passed away on March 3, 1997

Photo #1 - circa 1945
Photo #2 - circa 1945
Photo #3 - circa 1945
Photo #4 - circa 1945
Photo #5 - circa 1945
Photo #6 - circa 1945
Photo #7 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press article
Photo #8 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press photo
Photo #9 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press article
Photo #10 - Some products manufactured by St Joseph Foods
Photo #11 - Some products manufactured by St Joseph Foods
Photo #12 - Some products manufactured by St Joseph Foods
Photo #13 - Some products manufactured by St Joseph Foods
Photo #14 - Some products manufactured by St Joseph Foods
Photo #15 - Holiday adverstisement
Photo #16 - Holiday adverstisement
Photo #17 - St Joseph Foods Christmas Card
Photo #18 - St Joseph Foods stationary
Photo #19 - 1952 plant expansion
Photo #20 - The new plant on 759 highway
Photos & information was donated by Mary O'Reilly (owner's daughter)




1 2 3 4

ST JOSEPH GAZETTE
ST JOSEPH TENT & AWNING
& BODYGUARD MANUFACTURING
APPLIANCE MAN RENTALS
222 South 4th

In 1875, the St Joseph Gazette, then 30 years old, opened it's new offices in this building at 4th & Charles

St Joseph Tent & Awning occupied this building for many years

St Joseph Tent & Awning manufactured custom fitted canvas and metal awnings

St Joseph Tent & Awning also owned Bodyguard Manufacturing which made fireman coats and pants

In 1963, I worked here after my college classes making steel insoles for fireman boots & painting names on fireman coats

Appliance Man Rentals occupied this building in later years and has totally remodeled the building

Photo #1 - Circa 1875 - St Joseph Gazette
Photo #2 - Circa 1960's - St Joseph Tent & Awning
Photo #3 - Circa 1995 - Appliance Man Rentals
Photo #4 - Circa 2013 - Appliance Man Rentals






Circa 1887
SAUSAGE WORKS
110 South 2nd Street

Fred Schwab proprieter




1 2 3 4 5 6

SCHELENBURG BILLIARD
MANUFACTURING COMPANY
37 North 2nd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The Schulenburg Billiard Manufacturing Company was based in Detroit

The company was active from 1857 thru 1912

At one point a trusted employee/partner (A. Zeller) opened two remote sales and services offices, first in Chicago, then opened one in St. Joseph around 1869

The business in St Joseph was located at 37 North 2nd Street

In an 1871 Business Directory, Charles Harrer was the local agent in St. Joseph

The Pacific Hotel owned a number of the Schulenburg tables

It is assumed that the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 burned down the Chicago sales office, leaving the company unable to cover the remote St. Joseph office, and perhaps it closed down the Chicago office a year or two later

Photo #1 - A Schulenburg Billiard table
Photo #2 - Schulenburg advertisement
Photo #3 - Schulenburg advertisement
Photo #4 - Newspaper article The Pacific Hotel aquires Schulenburg billiard tables
Photo #5 - 1869 era tables
Photo #6 - 1879 era tables
Photos and data donated by Jon Heywood




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

LOVERS LANE MEATS
SEITZ LOVERS LANE
SEITZ SAUSAGE WORKS
SEITZ PACKING COMPANY
SEITZ FOODS INC
4th & WALNUT
4501 PACKERS AVENUE
MITCHELL PARK

By 1921, Seitz Packing Company was located at 15th & Garfield Ave

Alfred J Seitz was president of St Joseph Sausage Works at 2402 South 5th Street

Seitz later operated at both locations

See photo #1 - As early as 1919, this was Seitz Packing, a beef kill facility located on Garfield Avenue, just east of Quaker Oats - see the 1919 map in photo #9

The Seitz sausage plant, hot dogs and luncheon meats was located at 5th & Walnut

Seitz Foods was a privately owned meat processor that sold its luncheon meats and hot dogs in 12 Midwestern states

This structure was replaced in later years with a brick building

In the early 50's a new Seitz beef kill plant was built at the Packers Avenue site

In the early 80's the Sausage Plant at 4th and Walnut was closed and moved to the Packers Avenue location

At this time beef kill was suspended

The name change from Lovers Lane Meats to Seitz was started in mid to late 1967

It was Seitz Lovers Lane and later Lovers Lane was dropped from the name

E. Y. Lingle and Garland Wilson gained control of the company when Mr. Seitz committed suicide at the 4th and Walnut plant

Seitz would later be owned by Doug Esson

In 1987 Doug Esson sold the plant to Sara Lee

Somewhere along the line, the name was changed to Seitz Foods

In 2000, Sara Lee sold the Lower Lake Road plant
A scrap metal company is currently at this location

The personel and operations were moved to the new plant located in the new industrial Mitchell Park and called it St Joseph Foods

The old original Seitz had the best hot dogs, hot polish sausages and cold cuts in Northwest Missouri

Their products are still greatly missed today
List of items they made: FRESH DRESSED BEEF-CARCASS; FRESH DRESSED BEEF-CUTS; CHILI CON CARNE; PICKLE AND PIMIENTO LOAF; MACARONI AND CHEESE LOAF; SPICED LOAF; LIVER CHEESE; SALAMI; BOLOGNA; LUNCHEON SPECIALTY SAUSAGE; BONELESS COOKED HAM; PURE PORK SAUSAGE-IN BAG; PURE PORK SAUSAGE-IN CELLOPHANE ROLL; FRANKFURTERS, SKINLESS; POLISH SAUSAGE, H.C; BOCKWURST; SMOKED TENDER HAM
One of their famous slogans was S-E-I-T-Z spells HOT DOG!

There are new SEITZ meat products on the market today in 2012 but these are not the old original Seitz products

Lovers Lane meat items were made by Seitz Packing Company



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

SCHREIBER MILLS INC
8th & Mitchell

In 2014, the razing of the Schreiber Mills facility had commenced
The 2014 photos (#3-5) were taken by David Osgood
We drove by it on January 21, 2015 and some of it is still standing
Sure is taking a long time to raise this structure
Photos #6-8 were taken in 2015




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

SODA BOY BEVERAGE CO.
HONEY BOY HONEY
2824 South Belt

In 1964, Ben Hughes,Sr created and began manufacturing Soda Boy soda pop

It was manufactured at 2824 South Belt Highway

The soda came in a large variety of flavors

The registered "SODA BOY" trademark has now expired




1 Nabisco2 Nabisco3 Nabisco4 Nabisco5 Nabisco6 Nabisco7 Nabisco8 Nabisco9 Nabisco10 Nabisco11 Nabisco12

SOMMER-RICHARDSON FACTORY
FRANK L SOMMER BAKERY
AMERICAN BISCUIT
NABISCO CRACKERS
UNEEDA BISCUIT
CELEX PRODUCTS
202-224 Main
112 South 3rd

Frank L. Sommer owned a candy factory and a wholesale bakery

In 1873, the Sommer-Richardson Factory was established at 202-224 Main

In 1876 the F.L. Sommer & Company bakery was located at 112 South 3rd

Sommer began using baking soda to leaven its wafer thin cracker

His cracker was initially was called the Premium Soda Cracker

His cracker would later be called "Saltines" because of the salt component

His invention quickly became popular and Sommer's business quadrupled within four years

In 1890, F.L. Sommer merged with other companies & formed American Biscuit Company

After further mergers, in 1898, it became part of the National Biscuit Company (Nabisco)

The Holiday Inn Hotel currently occupies the 112 South 3rd address

Celex Products currently occupies the original building at 202-224 Main

Photo #1 - 1880's - original factory at 112 South 3rd.
Photo #2 - His 2nd factory located at 202-224 Main
Photo #3 - Nabisco factory at 202-224 Main as it looks in 2012
Photo #4 - Nabisco factory at 202-224 Main as it looks in 2012
Photo #5 - 1910 Photo of Nabisco factory, horse drawn wagon at dock
Photo #6 - Nabisco building is currently occupied by Celex Products
Photo #7 - Nabisco factory at 202-224 Main as it looks in 2013
Photo #8 - Frank Sommer Home, 914 Main, also known as the Cracker House
Photo #9 - 1985 photo of the Frank Sommer home at 914 Main
Photo #10 - Sommer-Richardson Candy Factory at 202-224 Main
Photo #11 - Advertisement
Photo #12 - 1899 Sommer-Richardson Factory advertisement




1 2 3 4

SPEAS MANUFACURING CO.
VINEGAR PLANT
9th & Grand Avenue

Built in 1853, this vinegar plant was located between 9th-13th & Grand Avenue

On May 17, 1959 a fire destroyed a large part of the vinegar plant

Bad weather during apple season was always disastrous for the apple growers, however, it proved to be a boom to the vinegar business

Each wooden tank held 48,000 gallons of apples, they had a total of 24 tanks

In photo #1, one of the new tanks is nearing completion

The tanks were made of wood because wood resisted the corrosive action of the vinegar

Iron hoops bound the staves together

Photo #1 - 5 new tanks are being built giving them a total of 24 tanks to hold the year's output
Photo #2 - Unloading a truckload of apples
Photo #3 - The 1959 fire that destroyed much of the plant
Photo #4 - May 18, 1959 St Joseph Gazette newspaper article




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1886
ST JOSEPH PUMP & MFG. CO.
800 Grand Avenue

In 1886, St Joseph Pump Company was formed. On May 13, 1895 the building was destroyed by fire
Later in the year, the company was re-organized and renamed to St Joseph Pump & Manufacturing Company
By 1911, the company was Missouri Pump Manufacturing Company and the building was known to be vacant
Today, nothing remains of the building




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

ST JOSEPH STOCKYARDS
AND PACKING HOUSES

St Joseph had 2 main packing houses in the immediate stockyard area

One was Armour & Company and the other was Swift & Company

Seitz Packing House was in another area of St Joseph, it's not included here

The Producers Livestock Marketing Association had cattle pens at the St Joseph Stock yards

After packing houses moved out of town, most pens were destroyed

Photo #1 - 1955 view of the stockyards
Photo #2 - 1908 view of the stockyards
Photo #3 - 1953 photo taken from King Hill
Photo #4 - Swift's Pork dressing department
Photo #5 - Names of Swift workers in photo #4
Photo #6 - Swift wagon
Photo #7 - 1934 photo of Swift Hog Dressing Dept
Photo #8 - Cattle Pens
Photo #9 - Photo of South End from King Hill
Photo #10 - 1920's view of South St Joseph
Photo #11 - 1930's Armour Beef Kill Crew
Photo #12 - 1981 Stock yard auction
Photo #13 - Cattle pens in 1960
Photo #14 - Postcard
Photo #15 - Aerial view of the stockyards
Photo #16 - Aerial view of the stockyards
Photo #17 - Postcard
Photo #18 - 1934 aerial view of stockyards
Photo #19 - 1934 Swift "Dry Salt" dept employees
Photos 4 & 5 donated by Judith Kaelin






STERLING PICKLING WORKS
8th & Seneca

The Sterling Pickling Works stood at 8th & Seneca
It was operated from 1901 to 1953 by M. J. & Charley Heerlein
Photo - a postcard in the book St Joseph Missouri A Postcard History




1 2

STEVENS HAT COMPANY
314 South 7th Street

The Stevens Hat factory orginated in St Joseph in 1917
In 1970, they moved to 3601 South Leonard Road and took over the Stetson label
They manufactured for Stetson until they moved production to Garland,TX

Photo #1 - 1943 Newspaper advertisement
Photo #2 - 1954 Newspaper advertisement






STETSON HATS
3601 SOUTH LEONARD ROAD

In 1970 Stevens Hat moved from 7th Street to 3601 South Leonard Road
Stevens Hats took over the Stetson label
They manufactured hats for Stetson until they moved production to Garland,TX
Stetson Hats is still in business on South Leonard Road as an Outlet Store

Photo - Interior view of Stetson Hats




STUDEBAKER BROTHERS MANUFACTURING
LARGEST WAGON WORKS IN THE WORLD
Address is unknown

In 1857, Studebaker produces its first carriage
The first Studebaker dealership opened in Goshen Indiana by Peter Studebaker
In 1870, Peter Studebaker opened a dealership in St. Joseph

The dealership handled the pioneer business whose wagon trains and expeditions to the far West were crossing the country in large numbers

Peter died in 1897 at the age of 61
He was the Vice President of the Studebaker company at the time of his death







Circa 1899
St Joseph Pressed Brick Co.
unknown address

Photo - Circa 1899 advertisement





STUPPY FLORAL COMPANY

Stuppy Floral Company was founded in St. Joseph in 1873 by L. J. Stuppy

The business started as a hobby and diversion to L. J.'s principal occupation as a court reporter

He grew plants and flowers in his own greenhouses and sold them on a retail basis

As the growing operations were expanded and more greenhouses added, surplus product was sold to other retailers and the wholesale business was established

Wholesaling of fresh flowers soon became the principal business with shipments being made as far away as Texas and Oklahoma

L. J.'s two sons, Francis X. and John Stuppy joined the business and incorporated Stuppy Floral Company in 1903

The company continued to operate the greenhouses until 1978
Stuppy purchased land on US 169 North near I-29 but it didn't last long

Stuppys was purchased by Rob Houp

Mr Houp opened a florist shop at 3841 Frederick (behind Perkins)

His shop is called Village Flowers By Rob

Location of the greenhouses in the above photo was behind and SE of the US Bank currently at the north end of Ashland Ave & Karnes Road




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

SWIFT & COMPANY PACKING HOUSE
Stockyard Expressway

Much has changed since the loss of the packing houses
Both Swift and Armor packing houses have been razed
The stockyard pens and sheep barn are virtually gone
Triumph Foods, a new pork packing plant with a workforce of 2,800 employees has been constructed in this area

Photo #1 - 1943 photo of Swift Packing House
Photo #2 - Photo of a photo of Swift & stockyards
Photo #3 - 1906 photo of Swift's Prize horse team
Photo #4 - Swift's Pork dressing department
Photo #5 - Names of Swift workers in photo #4
Photo #6 - Swift wagon
Photo #7 - 1934 photo of Swift Hog Dressing Department







TRIUMPH FOODS
5302 Stockyards Expressway

Triumph Foods (formerly known as Premium Pork) is a pork processing business




1 2 3 4

Circa 1862
Vegely & Kneer Confectioners
Edmond Street between 2nd and 3rd
Circa 1878
August Vegely Confectioner
210 South 4th Street

William Kneer, wholesale confectioner, was born July 15, 1828, in Westphalia, Prussia, Germany, and emigrated to America in 1849
He made his home in St. Joseph in 1851
For 11 years, he engaged in the saddlery business
In 1862, he started in the confectionery business with Emil Vegely
The firm's name was Vegely & Kneer Confectioners
After his partner's death in 1876 Mr. Kneer ran the business himself
By 1878, the company had moved to 210 South 4th Street and had changed the company name to August Vegely
The business was located on the northwest corner of Market Square
They were the oldest & largest confectioners on the Missouri river
When the business finally closed, Douglas Candy absorbed the business




1 2

WALKER MANUFACTURING COMPANY
18th & Penn

This large company sat on the NW corner of 18th & Penn
Walker's primarily made dampers for furnaces
The plant moved it's operations to Georgia and shut the plant down
After the plant had closed, hazardous waste was stored here and caused quite a stir




Walnut Log1 Walnut Log2

WALNUT WOODS

Walnut Log, Walnut Products, Walnut Woods
People have called this company many different names
Located on Lower Lake Road, now called MO 759 highway
The last I heard, Ed Christgen was the owner
Photo #1 submitted by Terry McGinnis




5th & Charles1 5th & Charles2 5th & Charles3 5th & Charles4 5th & Charles5 5th & Charles6 7 8 9 10 11


WESTERN DAIRY & ICE CREAM CO
JUSTRITE QUALITY CHEKD DAIRY PRODUCTS
218 South 5th

Western Dairy was one of the oldest dairies in St Joseph

It was owned & operated for many years by George & Augie Fenner and numerous other members of the Fenner family

The dairy was a member of the Quality Chekd organization

Their dairy products were trade named Justrite Quality Chekd

The dairy was sold to Highland Dairy in Springfield Missouri

The Fenners continued running the dairy

The retail home delivery ceased in the late 1970's

The dairy was sold to a Hiland dairy in Iowa

All St Joseph dairy operations totally ceased as all products were being trucked in from Iowa
The St Joseph dairy remained unused except for the large cooler

Hiland Dairy eventually razed the dairy & office building

The huge cooler and garage remained for many years thereafter

Hiland Dairy finally razed the remaining structures

It is currently one huge empty lot in which Quality Chekd trailers are parked

Photo #1 - The dairy prior to being torn down
Photo #2 - Vintage photo of the dairy
Photo #3 - Retail milk truck #37 used for making home deliveries
Photo #4 - Tray with Justrite advertising
Photo #5 - Justrite quart size milk bottle
Photo #6 - 1937 Justrite half pint size milk bottle
Photo #7 - Justrite Milk token
Photo #8 - Cardboard milk bottle cap
Photo #9 - Retail home delivery order form
Photo #10 - Rick Drozd in his Justrite milkman uniform
Photo #11 - Mary (Merk) Sharp's grandfather with his delivery vehicle in 1901






WESTERN HAT & CAP COMPANY
205-211 North 3rd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Currently a large parking lot is at this location




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Circa 1906
WESTERN TABLET & STATIONERY CO
WESTAB
MEAD
11th & Mitchell Avenue

The Big Chief writing tablet was originated by William Albrecht (1879-1945)

The Albrecht family had a stationery business in Quincy, Illinois

1906 - Mr Albrecht opened the Western Tablet Company in St Joseph, Missouri

Western Tablet Company became the world's largest paper tablet producer

1920's - Western Tablet moved its headquarters to Dayton,Ohio

Most of the manufacturing remained in St. Joseph

1947 - Western Tablet trademarked the Big Chief in 1947

1960's - The Big Chief line peaked it's usage in the 1960's

In the 1960s, another Westab invention, the spiral notebook, claimed a bigger market share

In 1964 the company was renamed "Westab"

In 1966, Western Tablet was acquired by the Mead Corporation

In later years, Mead sold the Big Chief line to Springfield Tablet of Springfield, Missouri

2001 - In January 2001, Everett Pad and Paper of Everett, Washington purchased the Big Chief inventory from Springfield

Everett Paper closed down their plant and the Big Chief tablet production was halted

2004 - Until 2004, Westab was one of St Joseph's major employers

The plant in St. Joseph where the tablets were produced was permanently closed

2012 - American Trademark Publishing of Brookshire, Texas resumed the production of the Big Chief Writing Tablet

Westab always displayed a huge Santa Claus, sleigh and raindeer on it's rooftop during the Christmas season

The Santa Claus rig was purchased by the city and is currently used in Krug Park during the Christmas season

The Westab building has been converted into apartments

Photo #1 - Westab bridge crossing over 11th Street between 2 buildings
Photo #2 - Big Chief painting on an interior wall
Photo #3 - 1948 drawing of the Western Tablet Company complex
Photo #4 - 1956 aerial view
Photo #5 - 2004 Interior view of the vacant building
Photo #6 - One view from 11th & Mitchell
Photo #7 - The Santa Claus rig once on top of Westab
Photo #8 - 1978 night aerial view of Mead plant
Photo #9 - Western Tablet as seen from Mitchell Avenue
Photo #10 - 1927 Western Tablet advertisement
Photo #11 - Various Big Chief tablet covers over the years
Photo #12 - A sample of the paper used in a Big Chief writing tablet
Photo #13 - This appears to be an old card with a photo of some Westab employees
Photo #14 - 1940's Aerial View with Westab complex in the center of the photo
Photo #15 - 1967 News-Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

WHITAKER CABLE
1002 South 9th
3501 Leonard Road

Manufacturer of automobile items that were made of wire

Opened the first St Joseph plant on Frederick Avenue in 1940

Moved to 1002 South 9th Street in 1947

Built a new plant at 3501 Leonard Road

Whitaker Cable closed in the winter of 1981, 200 jobs were lost

Photo #1 - Employees working - unknown circa
Photo #2 - Whitaker Cable advertisement
Photo #3 - Advertisement for job opening
Photo #4 - Box for automotive battery cable made by Whitaker Cable
Photo #5 - Whitaker Cable product catalog
Photo #6 - A very old advertisement before the St Joseph plant opened
Photo #7 - 1963 inside view of the Leonard Road plant
Photo #8 - Aerial view of the Leonard Road Plant
Photo #9 - Leonard Road Plant




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

WIRE ROPE CORP. OF AMERICA
609 North 2nd Street
One of the largest current employers in St Joseph
Producers of high grade cable

Photo #1 - Taken in 1971
Photo #2 - Overview with I-229 entrance in background
Photo #3 - 1950 Newspaper article
Photo #4 - A view of the plant interior
Photo #5 - 2013 photo
Photo #6 - Aerial View
Photo #7 - Aerial View
Photo #8 - Wire Rope plant
Photo #9 - Wire Rope plant
Photo #10 - Wire Rope plant
Photo #11 - Trucks at loading dock
Photo #1 donated by Rick Stafford




1 2 3 4

Circa 1891
WOOD MANUFACTURING COMPANY
Southeast corner of 3rd & Jules
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Photo #1 - 1891 Advertisement
Photo #2 - Wood Manufacturing Company
Photo #3 - Aerial view before Urban Renewal - Wood Mfg is marked
Photo #4 - Google Earth view of where Wood Mfg once stood, now a parking lot




Woodbury Chemical

WOODBURY CHEMICAL





Circa 1955
WONDER BREAD
CONTINENTAL BAKING COMPANY
1201 South 11th Street





PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu