1894 180 hard maple trees are set out in rows.
1910 Charles Mulford Robinson's plans includes Hyde Park.
1912 George Kessler's plans for the park system includes Hyde Park.
1915 10 acres donated by Calvin A. & Mollie Hyde.
1916 Burnap's plans for enlarging Hyde Park to 94 acres.
1921 Land condemned for addition to original tract.
1921 Plans for Hyde Park include for it to contain a zoo.
1924 Two new tennis courts constructed.
1925 Land was purchased from Hyde, increases park to 100 acres.
1925 Pool designed by W.K. Seitz and construction completed.
1925 Sewer pipe laid in a portion of Hyde Park.
1925 The southwest portion, previously left natural, was cleaned up.
1925 Olmsted Brothers report is against locating a zoo in Hyde Park.
1926 Final payment made on park lands for Hyde Park.
1927 A one mile drive through Hyde Park is proposed.
1929 Additional sewers are built in low-lying areas.
1930 Extensive tree planting program throughout the park system.
1936 A camel attacks John Hane, caretaker, causing injuries.
1936 This resulted in the eventual removal of animals from the parks.
1940 Suspension bridge constructed over park drive.
1955 New swimming pool constructed.
Hyde Park Drive (the drive through the park) begins at the northwest corner entrance, just
south of where South Parkway intersects with Hyde Park Avenue. The drive rises up and
curves to the east, where it follows a limestone outcropping on the north.
A stone retaining wall lines a portion of this drive. Part of this drive travels over a stone
bridge. The bridge crosses over a depression which has stone steps leading through it.
Immediately to the south of the outcropping (the northwest section of the park) is a picnic area.
Modern picnic tables and shelters are situated among the mature deciduous trees.
Also dotted throughout this area are numerous low square and circular brick structures with concrete caps.
Metal barrel trash cans and outdoor cooking ovens are also provided. Modern play equipment is located at
approximately the terminus of 7th Street, fairly close to two parking areas.
The Hyde Park drive, constructed in 1925-1928, encircles the park and ends at Hyde Park.
It consists of 93 acres at 4th Street and Hyde Park Avenue
The park includes Hyde swimming pool and patio, three lighted tennis courts, playground,
picnic area, bandstand/shelter house, a gazebo and three additional shelter houses,
six lighted ballfields, horseshoe courts, basketball goals, two concession stands and restrooms
At one time, back in 1926, Hyde Park had a small zoo.
It took nearly four years to convince the public of the plan's worth and to begin the
condemnation and purchase of the rest of the land for Hyde Park. In 1926, the final payment for
the Hyde Park property was made, and its boundaries have remained intact since that time.
One of the selling points for the entire parks system was the provision for a zoo. Hyde Park was
the proposed location of this zoo. However, not wishing to alienate the surrounding residents,
the Board was quick to point out that Hyde Park would also contain ample provision for
It is somewhat interesting to note that these early discussions of the zoo
emphasized that there would not be a great variety in the animals displayed, but that the focus
would be on showing them in natural habitats. The plans included a buffalo run, a deer park,
cages for bears, and a sea lion area.
In 1926, the Olmsted Brothers, a landscape architectural firm from Massachusetts, prepared a
report for the Parks Board which strongly advised against locating the zoo in Hyde Park.
One of the problems with the site was its low-lying character and
the associated dampness. Eventually however, animals were kept in Hyde Park, but were
removed after a tragic incident in 1936 when the caretaker, John C. Hane, was injured by a camel
Burnap's revised park system plans of 1924 designated the location for a municipal swimming
pool in the park. Designed by the city engineer, William K. Seitz, it was completed in 1925.
This pool was eventually replaced in 1955.
In 2018, this pool has now been closed due to problems and may be removed completely.