PLEASANT RIDGE SCHOOL
Center Township, Buchanan County
Pleasant Ridge School was constructed in Center Township, Buchanan County, Missouri, in 1883.
Center Township was "at one time the most promising township in the county."
The town of "Sparta, located two miles from the site of the school,
vanished after being superseded in the l840's by St. Joseph as the county
Center Township continued to prosper throughout most of the nineteenth century as nearby St. Joseph served as one of the
main departure points for westward expansion. John C. Register sold the property on which the
school is located to the directors of the district on June 19, 1882, for the
sum of $1.00, good will and affection.
The large two-story brick schoolhouse that was completed the following year testifies to the prosperity of the
During the 1930's, the state board of education proposed a plan for
consolidation of rural schools into larger and more efficient district units.
Pleasant Ridge School continued to serve as the elementary school for Center
Township until 1956, when consolidation with the Faucett School District was