Free website hit counter

Search Engine for St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search

Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo




The Museum Hill Historic District
This section is devoted to houses & mansions located within the district
The district roughly borders 9th to 15th Street and from Faraon to Messanie Street
The district map is rather jagged, it roughly covers the following streets:
  • 13th to 15th from Faraon to Jules Street
  • 12th to 15th from Jules to Francis Street
  • 12th to 15th from Francis to Felix Street
  • 11th to 15th from Felix to Edmond Street
  • 10th to 15th from Edmond to Charles Street
  • 9th to 15th from Charles to Messanie Street






  • (External Website)
    Museum Hill National Historic District Website




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 30

    ASSORTED HOUSES ON MUSEUM HILL


    I don't have the addresses for these houses



    Faraon STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS


    JULES STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS





    Circa 1887/1906 (Altered)
    1211 Jules Street


    Two story, brick, 2-family flat built in 1887 in the Late Italianate style. It features a low hip roof with a projecting, bracketed, dentilated and moulded cornice. Brickwork stringcourses form segmental shaped window and door lintels on both stories on the facade. A full width porch was added in 1906 and is supported on round wood columns with Tuscan capitals.



    FRANCIS STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS





    Circa 1895
    HELEN DIMBLEY HOUSE
    (Pre-restoration photo)
    1219 Francis Street

    This Queen Anne House was built around 1895
    Built for the daughter of W.S. Leach, a prominent St. Joseph Attorney
    The upper story of the house is sheathed in wood shingles
    A band of decorative diamond shingles are above the second story windows
    An angled 2 ½ story square tower with pyramidal roof defines the front corner of the facade
    Info taken from 1999 walking tour of Museum Hill

    Photo & building information provided by the Museum Hill Neighborhood Association






    Circa 1877
    Pleasant Chestnut
    1306 Francis Street


    This property is a single story brick dwelling built in 1877 in the late Italianate style for Pleasant Chestnut, grocer. It possesses an irregular plan with a prominent gable roof wing on the facade. This projecting wing features a wood frame bay window. An entrance porch is supported on chamfered wood posts with a jig-cut frieze. Under the porch are openings with segmental arched label lintels of brick with keystones.




    1 2

    1316 Francis Street


    Before and after restoration photos of 1316 Francis Street






    Circa 1860
    John Hamilton
    1423 Francis Street


    This house was originally envisioned by its builder as an octagon house; his death lead to its being modified into a more standard rectangular plan completed in 1860. John Hamilton subsequently refurbished the house in the 1880s; adding a projecting rear ell and remaking the residence into a Second Empire house with a square-shaped plan. Corner towers rise from the first story corners to crest at four steeply pitched mansard roofs. The house features a bracketed and paneled cornice. Projecting metal hoods top the windows. Over the main entry is a scrolled consoled door hood. On the west elevation a two story frame sun parlor and sleeping porch was added in the early 20th century (c. 1910)
    Photo #1 - provided by Mike Bachman



    FELIX STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS



    1 2 3 4

    Circa 1909
    George Gleason Flats
    1018 Felix Street

    This is a three story, brick, 3-family flat built in 1909. It has a rectangular plan, flat roof and simple two bay facade behind a full porch; the porch is supported on random ashlar stone pillars.






    Circa 1889
    1115-1117 Felix Street


    This is a two story brick duplex built in 1889 in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. It possesses a rectangular plan and flanking polygonal bays, the roofs of which rise to a low peaked roof intersecting the hip roof of the main house mass. Terra-cotta plaque panels lie below the bays. Between the tower bays is a double arch, recessed entryway to the original two duplex apartments.






    Circa 1899
    1417 Felix Street


    This is a single story, wood frame, pyramidal cottage built in 1899. The hipped roof cottage has a slightly irregular--but primarily rectangular plan shape. A full width porch supported on round wood columns is found on the facade. Modern asbestos siding is found over the wood cladding.






    1024 Felix Street


    Photo provided by Mike Bachman




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

    1102 Felix Street


    Photos taken by Brenda Reilly




    1 2

    1102 Felix Street


    Photo provided by Mike Bachman




    1 2 3

    1219 Felix Street

    Before and after restoration photos of 1219 Felix
    Owner of this beauty is Jordan Reilly

    Photo provided by Jordan Reilly




    1 2 3

    THE J. C. WYATT HOUSE
    1309 Felix Street

    Greg & Robyn Davis Sekula are the past owners
    The J. C. Wyatt house is listed as the #1 place to eat in St Joseph by Trip Advisor

    The current proprietors are Jim Pallone and Chef Jeff Keyasko

    The Museum Hill Walking tour brochure of 1999 says this about this location:
    "Romanesque Revival Style house built in 1891 for John Cavin Wyatt, Secretary and Treasurer of the Townsend, Wyatt and Emery Dry Goods Company"

    Floral design is apparent in the sandstone cushion capitols on the arched porch and at the base of the corner tower Side porch features unusual hand carved capitals with inverted tulip design

    Roofline of the house is dominated by corbel brick chimneys, cresting and dormers ornamented with pressed metalwork"

    Photo #1 submitted by Wally Bloss



    EDMOND STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS





    EVANS RAY HOUSE
    1023 Edmond Street

    Elaborate Queen Anne Style mansion built in 1887 for a lumber dealer

    The irregular massing of the house is achieved through multiple bays and gables

    Windows have arched transoms

    The front porch is supported by turned posts with open tracery bracketing executed in a floral motif

    The same bracketing technique is used on the second story porch

    Information above taken from 1999 Museum Hill walking tour

    Photo & building information provided by the Museum Hill Neighborhood Association






    EVANS RAY HOUSE
    1023 Edmond Street


    Photo provided by Wally Bloss






    11th & EDMOND STREET






    Circa 1906
    Otto Quentin House
    1102 Edmond Street


    This is a two story brick dwelling built in 1906 for Otto Quentin. Built with an irregular plan shape, this late Queen Anne house possesses some stylistic details of the Craftsman style. A multi-gable roof and segmental arched windows with stone keystones and skewblocks are prominent features of the house. Exposed rafter ends and overhanging eaves are found on both the porch and roof. The west elevation wing has a gable roof projection featuring false half-timbering and stucco on the pediment and a balustraded parapet. A full facade porch with square brick pillar supports is found on the first story.






    1121 Edmond Street


    Photo provided by Wally Bloss



    CHARLES STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS





    Circa 1895
    1209 & 1211 Charles Street


    This is a single story Queen Anne style duplex built in 1895. It has an irregular plan shape underlying a double hip roof. Entry to the interior duplex apartments is found at the corners. A broad shingled frieze lies above the window level. A projecting bay with windows and a gable roof is on the facade. The east entry has its original porch supported on turned wood columns. A drop in grade to the rear permits a full basement story to lie underneath the main mass of the duplex.




    1 2 3

    Circa 1887
    1408-1410 Charles Street

    This is a single story brick duplex built in 1887 in the Queen Anne style. The facade features matching projecting gable roof bays with paired window openings. A truncated hip roof lies over on the main house mass. Entry to either unit is at extreme corners of the facade, tucked behind the bays. The west unit has its original porch with jig cut frieze and turned posts. The window openings have segmental arches and projecting labeled lintels.






    Circa 1898
    1213 & 1215 Charles Street


    These are two story, brick, two-thirds double-pile houses built in 1898. They feature a rectangular plan and hip roof with central dormer. They were built as a twin residences. A full width porch supported on wood columns with terra-cotta Ionic capitals and low gable roof pediment are on the porch roof.






    Circa 1880
    Charles Barrington
    1021 Charles Street


    This is a two story brick dwelling built ca. 1880 in an eclectic mode for Charles Barrington, secretary of the Wyeth Hardware and Manufacturing Company. It has an irregular plan, low hip roof and bracketed and paneled cornice. The facade is dominated by a large projecting wing topped with a jerkinhead gable roof. Paired window openings are found on this wing. All the facade openings have labeled lintels with stylized keystones. The entry recessed from the projecting facade bay, features a portico with balcony supported on round wood columns. A two story polygonal bay is also found on the west elevation.






    Circa 1890
    1024 Charles Street


    A two story, brick house, Queen Anne style built in 1890. It features a boxed cornice on its hipped roof; a sunburst decoration fills the field of a gable projection on the front bay. A corbelled chimney projects from the roof. The projecting bay with paired windows (two first story and two second story) is flanked by the transomed entryway on the right facade first story. Flush lintels of radiating brick top the windows of this house.




    1 2

    HENRY HANSEN HOUSE
    1029 Charles Street


    Photo #1 - Museum Hill Association Photo
    Photo #2 - Museum Hill Association building description




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

    Circa 1879
    WYETH-TOOTLE MANSION
    Circa 1947
    ST JOSEPH MUSEUM
    1100 Charles Street

    William and Eliza Wyeth requested legendary architect E.J. Eckel to design the 1879 Wyeth-Tootle Mansion to resemble the castles they had seen on the Rhine River as they were traveling in Germany
    Over one million bricks were used in the construction and the front portion of the building was covered with native sandstone
    The original St Joseph Museum was located at 19th & Felix
    It was in the McAlister/A. J. August mansion and had outgrown the mansion
    This mansion was purchased from the Tootle family in 1947 by William Goetz and the Goetz Brewery for $35,000 and was gifted to the St. Joseph Museum
    Mr. Goetz also purchased and gifted the Harry L. George Native American collection, which is the most significant part of the Museum's collections
    The Museum board raised $35,000 to renovate the structure into a museum
    In 1948, voters approved a tax levy for supporting a municipal museum
    In 1953, the St. Joseph Museum deeded the mansion to the City of St Joseph
    Besides having run out of space for more exhibits, the mansion also lacked climate control for proper storage of the many delicate Native American artifacts
    An opportunity was offered to take over the Glore Psychiatric Museum
    The Glore Museum had been operated by the State Hospital on Frederick Avenue
    This move provided a ten-fold increase in space and a better climate control
    In 2004, most of the exhibits were relocated to the Glore Museum site
    This move allowed for the restoration of the mansion's interior
    The dining room is now furnished with the gift of the Wyeth table service
    Some years ago, one of the bedrooms was restored on the second floor
    Other second floor rooms have been renovated for temporary exhibits
    Exhibits such as "Enterprising St. Joseph" featuring products developed by local companies
    Also a recreation of the architect Edmund J. Eckel's office has been completed
    The City of St. Joseph has been restoring the exterior of the mansion in phases, beginning with the front elevation
    The Wyeth-Tootle Mansion is owned by the City of St. Joseph and operated as a Museum under contract with the St. Joseph Museums, Inc.

    The above information was provided by David W. Lewis Jr.
    (Museum Board President)


    Photo #1 - Old color photo
    Photo #2 - 2008 Color photo
    Photo #3 - Interior photo
    Photo #4 - 1950's photo
    Photo #5 - Old photo
    Photo #6 - Current Photo
    Photo #7 - Very old photo
    Photo #8 - Old postcard
    Photo #9 - Color photo
    Photo #10 - St Joseph Museum
    Photo #11 - Museum Hill Association Photo
    Photo #12 - Museum Hill Association building description




    1 2

    WYETH-TOOTLE CARRIAGE HOUSE
    1100 Charles Street

    The Wyeth-Tootle Mansion had one of the largest carriage houses in St Joseph
    It is currently being used as storage for the St Joseph Museums

    Photo #1 - Museum Hill Association Photo
    Photo #2 - Museum Hill Association building description




    1 2 3 4

    VINEYARD MANSION
    1125 CHARLES STREET

    Photos provided by Jack Quinn




    1 2

    VINEYARD MANSION & CARRIAGE HOUSE
    1125 Charles Street


    Photo #1 - Museum Hill Association Photo
    Photo #2 - Museum Hill Association building description






    1215 Charles Street


    Photo provided by Mike Bachman






    Circa 1889
    John Brown House
    1402 Charles Street

    This property is a two story brick dwelling built in 1889 in the Queen Anne style for John Brown. It features an irregular plan with an intersecting gable roof. The facade is dominated by a projected wing. Patterned brickwork lies underneath one of the roof's gable ends. Entry to the property is made under a small gable roof portico supported on turned wood posts.



    SYLVANIE STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS



    1 2

    Circa 1916
    1301 Sylvanie Street

    This property is a vernacular, two story, brick, 2-family flat built in 1916. It has a flat roof lying behind a flat brick parapet. A boxed cornice tops a full width, two story, porch with a flat roof is supported on square brick pillars. Triple windows with transoms are placed on the eastern portion of the two bay facade. The paired building entries lie to the far west side of the facade.
    Eligible outbuilding: Undated single story, two bay, brick garage with tile coping on the roof.






    Circa 1885
    1221 Sylvanie Street


    This is a two story, wood frame, 2-family flat built in 1885 in the Italianate style. It features an irregular plan with low hip roof and bracketed, moulded, projecting cornice. Its symmetrical three bay facade features a full width porch dating to the turn of the century. On the east elevation is a- single story bay window. Asbestos siding has been applied to the exterior but does not compromise the historic character of the property.






    Circa 1886
    916-918 Sylvanie Street


    This is a two story brick duplex constructed in 1886 in the Queen Anne style. It has a rectangular plan with a truncated roof and minimally decorative cornice. These mirror image duplex units feature slightly projecting bays with paired windows topped by segmental arch openings. The two center bays contain the entry; both unit entrances have segmental shaped arch transoms above the single leaf doorways. The doorways have flanking sidelights. A full width facade porch of later date ca. 1910 it has broad eaves and brick pillar supports.




    1 2 3

    Circa 1880
    1016-1018 Sylvanie Street


    This property is a two story brick duplex built in 1880 in the Italianate style. It possesses a rectangular plan. Two mirror image units lie below the elaborate corbeled brickwork and pressed metal cornice. Two projecting tripartite bays on the facade feature brick panels. The windows have triangular arched openings with projected and labeled hoods. Entry to either unit is located in the forward projecting portion of the facade adjacent the bay windows.






    Circa 1902
    Glendower Byers House
    1309 Sylvanie Street


    This is a wood clad, two-thirds double pile house built in 1902. It was built for Glendower Byers, a train dispatcher. It features a rectangular plan with a hip roof. A two bay symmetrical facade features a full width hip roof porch.






    Circa 1866
    1405 Sylvanie Street


    One and one-half story, wood frame, double pile cottage built in 1866. A gable roof wall dormer is flanked by smaller dormers on the three bay facade. The entryway has sidelights and a transom. Modern siding (asbestos) and a porch dates to ca. 1900 do not detract from the representative qualities of this house.






    Circa 1880
    Charles Barrington House
    1021 Sylvanie Street


    This is a two story brick dwelling built ca. 1880 in an eclectic mode for Charles Barrington, secretary of the Wyeth Hardware and Manufacturing Company. It has an irregular plan, low hip roof and bracketed and paneled cornice. The facade is dominated by a large projecting wing topped with a jerkinhead gable roof. Paired window openings are found on this wing. All the facade openings have labeled lintels with stylized keystones. The entry recessed from the projecting facade bay, features a portico with balcony supported on round wood columns. A two story polygonal bay is also found on the west elevation.
    Photo provided by Mike Bachman




    1 2

    THE EMPTY CORNER LOT
    11th & Sylvanie Street


    Photo #1 - Museum Hill Association Photo
    Photo #2 - Museum Hill Association building description




    1 2

    LYMAN W. FORGRAVE HOUSE
    1201 Sylvanie Street


    Photo #1 - Museum Hill Association Photo
    Photo #2 - Museum Hill Association building description



    ANGELIQUE STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS





    Circa 1896
    1022-1024 Angelique Street

    This is a two story brick duplex built in 1896 in the Queen Anne style. It has a basic rectangular plan and flat roof placed behind a facade parapet. The parapet resembles a slightly pitched mansard roof with a pressed metal cornice. The facade is dominated by two projecting bays at either corner. The fenestration is decorated with simple segmental arches on the second story and flat arches on the first story window openings. A sawtooth pattern stringcourse lies between the stories. Entry to units is in the slightly recessed center bays, covered by a gable roof porch.






    WILLIAM HINDS HOUSE
    1013 Angelique Street

    Eclectic Victorian home built in 1890 for William Hinds
    William Hinds was a merchant dealing in stoves and tinware
    Bay window and roof dormer detailing are done in fabricated metal
    An unusual "Key Hole" shaped glass window ia on the east side of the house
    Info ttaken from 1999 walking tour of MHNA
    Photo was taken shortly after the west wall collapsed
    The house is endangered

    Photo & building information provided by the Museum Hill Neighborhood Association






    WILLIAM HINDS HOUSE
    1013 Angelique Street

    Mike Bachman noted that the wall is falling in on the West side of house

    Photo provided by Mike Bachman



    MESSANIE STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS


    9th STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS





    307 South 9th Street


    Eligible outbuilding: Undated one and one-half story, gable roof, brick carriage house with servant living quarters above the carriage bays.
    Photo #1 provided by Wally Bloss






    421 & 423 South 9th Street


    Photo provided by Mike Bachman



    10th STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS



    1 2 3 4 5

    Joshua Motter House
    301 South 10th Street

    The mansion has burned down
    The carriage house remains, it has been made into apartments
    Eligible outbuilding: Undated large mansard roofed carriage house of brick construction.

    Photo #1 submitted by Michael Miller



    11th STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS



    1 2

    Circa 1891/1900 (Remodeled)
    202-204 SOUTH 11th STREET

    This property is a two story, brick, 4-family flat built in 1891. The building was originally conceived as a Queen Anne Style single family residence; it was later extensively remodeled (c. 1900). Elements of the original facade include the central hip roofed tower with stained glass transom. Recessed bays lie to either side of the tower and feature corbelled brick parapets. The far left and right projecting bays are clad in wood and contain multi-lite 6/1 windows.




    1 2

    Circ 1879
    William Wyeth House
    301 South 11th Street
    Circa 1894
    Frederick Henshaw House
    301 South 11th Street


    This property is a two and one-half story sandstone Victorian Style-Single Family Residence built in 1879. It was executed in Italian Villa style and designed by Edmond Eckel for William Wyeth, a prominent wealthy merchant. It is irregularly massed and has a crenellated tower on the north elevation. The facade bay arrangement is symmetrical, with a center entry bay with arcaded entry porch. This porch is flanked by two bay windows. Its finished ashlar cladding, rectilinear and arched window openings and hip roof round out its basic characteristics. This architecturally distinctive building has given the district its name, a result of its use as a museum since the late 1940s.
    Eligible outbuilding: Undated large carriage house of brick construction with curvilinear parapeted gable and basic gambrel roof shape.
    Photo #1 - Museum Hill Association Photo
    Photo #2 - Museum Hill Association building description




    1 2

    JOSEPH CORBY MANSION & CONSERVATORY
    302 South 11th Street


    Photo #1 - Museum Hill Association Photo
    Photo #2 - Museum Hill Association building description




    1 2

    JOSEPH CORBY MANSION & CONSERVATORY
    302 South 11th Street


    Photos provided by Wally Bloss




    1 2 3 4

    Circa 1886/1905 (Modified)
    GEORGE C. HAX MANSION
    & CARRIAGE HOUSE
    401 South 11th Street


    Two story brick patterned masonry Queen Anne dwelling built in 1886 for George Hax, partner in a prosperous packing company. The eclectic facade features symmetrical arrangement in the middle three bays. A central curvilinear wall dormer above projects above the wing in which the primary entry is located. This slightly projecting wing is flanked by paired window openings at either story with segmental shaped projecting window labeled lintels. At either corner of the facade are towers. In the northwest corner is a hexagonal tower with flaring roof. In the southwest corner is a rectangular canted front tower rising to the roof. Behind the house is a turreted and multi-gabled carriage house of brick construction added in 1905.
    Photo #1 - Museum Hill Association Photo
    Photo #2 - Museum Hill Association building description




    1 2 3

    Circa 1925
    CHARLES EBERT RESIDENCE
    402 South 11th Street

    This is a classic two story brick Foursquare 1 without elaborate architectural detailing built in 1925. It possesses a square shape plan with hip roof. A centered hip roof dormer is located on the north and east elevations. A full width porch with hip roof supported on wood pylons is located on the facade.
    Photo #1 - Museum Hill Association Photo
    Photo #2 - Museum Hill Association building description






    405 South 11th Street


    Photo provided by Mike Bachman




    1 2

    Circa 1887/1895 (Altered)
    GEORGE HAX DUPLEX
    417-419 South 11th Street

    Research indicates this building was constructed circa 1887
    It was remodeled in 1895 to it's present Queen Anne style appearance
    The side-by-side duplex had units that were mirror images of each other
    Notable details include the 2 ½ story bays with gable ends ornamented with scalloped shingles and quatrefoil windows
    The quatrefoil motif is found in the front porch spandrels
    The above information was taken from MHNA walking tour
    Photo #1 was taken in winter of 2012
    This home has currently been restored after a fire in the top right duplex
    Current owners restored the home as a single family house between 2000 and 2010
    Two story, wood frame, 4-family flat was built in two stages; the first in 1885, and the present Queen Anne profile created in 1895. The building has a square plan with hip roof. The facade is dominated by paired gable-roofed projecting wings at both corners. These bays featured windows on all three sides of the bays. Decorative window hoods of varying patterns are applied over the windows.

    Photo #1 & some building information provided by the Museum Hill Neighborhood Association






    GEORGE HAX DUPLEX
    417-419 South 11th Street


    Photo provided by Wally Bloss






    HENRY K WHITE HOUSE
    503 South 11th Street

    Originonal owner: Henry K. White
    2 ½ Story Queen Anne
    Built: circa 1888
    Restored home of Tom & Ginny Rinderknecht

    Photo & building information provided by the Museum Hill Neighborhood Association



    12th STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS





    Circa 1866
    J. W. Wilson
    119 South 12th Street


    Single story, wood frame, hall and parlor cottage built in 1866 by J.W. Wilson, a local builder. Three symmetrical bays, center entry and four over four light sash windows are exhibited in this vernacular cottage. Triangular moulded heads top the windows. A rear wing was added historically to create a T-shape plan. The current porch was added in 1951 but does not compromise the representational qualities of this old house.






    Circa 1885
    Frederick Hornkohl
    123 South 12th Street


    Two story brick dwelling built in 1885 by Frederick Hornkohl, bookkeeper for a local distillery. This house was built in the Queen Anne style featuring a rectangular plan and mansard roof. A sidewall parapet is found on the north elevation and long sloping shed roof to the rear is located on the rear. On the building's projecting facade bay a gable shaped pediment intersects the mansard roof at the cornice line. The cornice is elaborate, and features moulded and dentil patterning repeated along the full length of the cornice. Paired windows are found on the projecting wing and have segmental shaped arches of brick above the openings. Access to the house is provided under a small porch at the entrance the facade. It appears to be the original porch with a truncated hip roof, cresting, a moulded frieze and narrow chamfered wood columns.




    1 2

    FREDERICK A. FRANKS HOUSE
    219 South 12th Street


    Photo #1 - Museum Hill Association Photo
    Photo #2 - Museum Hill Association building description




    1 2

    MAJOR SAMUEL GARTH HOUSE
    301 South 12th Street


    Photo #1 - Museum Hill Association Photo
    Photo #2 - Museum Hill Association building description




    1 2 3

    Circa 1905
    NORTH GOERMANN DUPLEX
    307 & 309 South 12th Street
    Circa 1905
    SOUTH GOERMANN DUPLEX
    313 & 315 South 12th Street


    307-309 South 12th Street:
    This is a two story brick duplex built in 1905 in the Colonial Revival style. The two front entries flank a projecting center bay capped by a flared gable. This projecting bay reaches two and one-half stories; its gable roof intersects with the main block's hip roof. The entries are covered with pedimented porches ornamented by cartouches and supported by modified Ionic columns on brick piers. Oval oculi are centered above the front entries at the second story.
    313-15 S. 12th Street:
    This duplex is a two story brick duplex built in 1907 in the Colonial Revival style. It is a rectangular shaped house with the two duplex entries set back on either side of a gable roof projecting bay. This bay is a two story wood frame construction incorporating leaden glass transoms. Two flat roof porches are supported on squat columns with geometrically etched capitals.
    Photo #1 - Museum Hill Association Photo
    Photo #2 - Museum Hill Association building description




    1 2

    HENRY SMITH BUNGALOW
    317 South 12th Street


    Photo #1 - Museum Hill Association Photo
    Photo #2 - Museum Hill Association building description




    1 2 3 4

    SHEEHAN-HORTON HOUSE
    401 South 12th Street

    Restored home by Caroline Castor - what a difference!
    One of Museum Hills Oldest homes
    This frame Greek Revival Structure was built in the 1850's by John Sheehan
    John Sheehan was a carpenter who lived in St Joseph until 1864
    Edwin Horton purchased the property
    Horton was a clerk and freight agent for a local Saint Joseph railroad
    Members of the Horton family resided in the house until 1974
    The house fell to ruin and was condemned
    It took 6 months to restore the house to it's current beauty
    Information was taken from Museum Hill walking tour of 1999
    One and one half story, wood frame, double-pile house built ca. 1860 by John Sheehan, carpenter. The house features a rectangular plan and five symmetrical facade bays. Rising from the facade center is a wall dormer; flanking it are wall dormers on each side. A full width porch is set on the first story. The house is currently stabilized and is among the earliest buildings of the district.

    Photo #1 - Museum Hill Association Photo - As it looked in 2000 prior to restoration
    Photo #2 - Museum Hill Association Photo - As it looks now after restoration
    Photo #3 - Museum Hill Association building description
    Photo #4 - As it looked before restoration




    1 2

    Circa 1900
    FRANCIS BROWNE HOUSE
    402 South 12th Street


    Eligible outbuilding: A one and one-half story brick carriage house
    Photo #1 - Museum Hill Association Photo
    Photo #2 - Museum Hill Association building description



    13th STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS



    1 2

    1316 Francis Street

    This is a before and after restoration






    Circa 1911
    201 South 13th Street

    This is a one and one-half story bungalow built in 1911. It is brick and has a hip roof with intersecting gables. A full width porch supported on brick pillars and frame pylons stretches across the facade.




    Circa 1904
    209 South 13th Street


    The property is a two story, brick, 2-family flat built with Craftsman inspired details in 1904. The house has a flat parapet with a flat roof behind. The facade is dominated by a single story porch with open balustrade on the second story. The porch is supported on brick pillars with exposed joists found at the pillar tops. A two story bay with windows is found on the north side of the facade; the second story of the bay features a bracketed roof above the bay.






    Circa 1902
    109 South 13th Street


    An unusual two story, wood frame house built in 1902. It features a gable end facade and side entrance (north elevation) and is set above a full cellar story which has been converted into a garage. It most closely resembles a stack house configuration.






    Circa 1894
    210-212 South 13th Street

    A two story, brick, 4-family flat built in 1894 in the late Queen Anne style. It features a corbel brickwork cornice and a full width porch with hip roof is supported on slim wood columns with Tuscan capitals. Entrances are placed on the first story midpoint and far right and left bays of the building.






    Circa 1905
    112 North 13th Street


    This house is a single story brick house built in 1905. Its features include a decorative shingled gable pediment facing the street; this facade feature is underlain by a single window with projecting segmental and labeled lintel. The house does not conform to any standardized vernacular form, but resembles a bayed cottage with the main entry tucked behind the projecting gable end facing the street.




    1 2

    Circa 1866
    Donald McDonald House
    116 North 13th Street


    This property is a two story brick I-house built ca. 1866. It was built by Donald McDonald, a local dry goods merchant. It possesses five symmetrical bays, a rectangular plan and gable roof. The center bays on both stories have doorways. The first story entryway features sidelights and a transom under a small, square pillared, porch. The property has long windows with six over six lites.






    301-303 South 13th Street


    Photo provided by Mike Bachman



    14th STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS





    Circa 1902
    210-212 South 14th Street

    This is a two story, brick, 4-family flat built in 1902 in a Colonial Revival style. It possesses a rectangular plan and flat roof. The facade parapet features projecting metal cornice above brick corbeling. Projecting bay wings lie to either side of the center entries. A full width porch has been removed.



    15th STREET HOUSES AND MANSIONS





    Circa 1915
    101 South 15th Street
    Garage


    A one and one-half story garage with gable roof and a four bay garage, built in 1915






    Circa 1901
    302 & 306 South 15th Street


    These are two and one-half storied, gable-front, double-pile brick houses with a rectangular plan. Built in 1901 each features dormers on the side elevations of the roof and decoratively shingled pediments. A chamfered, wood frame, oriel projects from the first bay of the second story level on both properties. On the facade a full width porch is supported on columns with Tuscan capitals.




    1 2

    Circa 1906
    Horace Stringfellow House
    104 South 15th Street


    This is a two and one half story brick and frame house built in 1906 by Horace Stringfellow, secretary-treasurer of the Graham-Stringfellow Implement Co. It is stylistically a late Queen Anne home. The intersecting gable roof line lies above an elaborately decorated facade gable. A recessed window bay lies centered in the second story facade, and is flanked by pillars. The facade porch is supported on massive Doric columns. The otherwise rectangular-shaped house has a prominent two story bay window in the southern elevation.
    Photo #1 provided by Mike Bachman




    1 2 3

    Circa 1899
    William Bergman House
    110 South 15th Street


    This property is a two and one-half story, buff colored brick residence built in 1899. It most closely resembles a eclectic Colonial Revival mode. It was built by William Bergman. The basically symmetrical facade is contrasted with the rounded corner on the southeast facade corner. The low, hipped roof, porch wraps around the rounded corner. On the center of the facade is a tall wall dormer--a primary decorative element--with corner pilasters flanking a Palladian window whose detail is accented with a buff colored terra-cotta. There is a projecting bay on the south facade which is treated in a similar way. The cornice of the house is marked with dentils and modillions.




    1 2

    Circa 1888
    John Shireman House
    120 South 15th Street


    Two story brick house with an irregular plan and slate covered hip roof. Built in 1888 by John Shireman, a partner in a clothing company, and executed in a strongly stated eclectic Queen Anne style. The facade is dominated by a projecting wing with gable roof. Tall pressed metal finials flank the base of pediments capping the building's projecting bays. Patterned brick half-round arches lie underneath the capping pediments. The porch was added in 1902. Except for the loss of stained glass transoms the house is unaltered condition.
    Photo provided by Mike Bachman



    ASSORTED BUILDINGS IN MUSEUM HILL AREA



    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11

    Photos taken by Brenda Reilly




    PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



    Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
    Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


    Return To Main Menu