2nd street

HISTORIC MARKET SQUARE


index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind
Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE: Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

Circa 1850
MARKET SQUARE
HISTORIC DISTRICT
Market Square Historic District was a national historic district located at St. Joseph, Missouri.
The district encompassed 19 contributing buildings in the central business district of St. Joseph.
It developed between about 1850 and 1940, and included representative examples of Renaissance Revival style architecture.
The primary building was the Bank of the State of Missouri (1859)
Most of the remaining buildings were demolished in 1973.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 and delisted in 1999.
The six remaining buildings in the district were subsumed under the Missouri Valley Trust Company Historic District.
Market Square was one of the oldest sections of downtown St Joseph
Market Square was one of the first to be razed during Urban Renewal
Bounded by Market Square on the west and & So 3rd Street on the east
Bounded by Edmond on the south side & Felix Street on the north side
Market Square addresses were 101-121 Market Square on the west side
3rd Street addresses were 102-122 South 3rd Street on the east side
Edmond Street addresses were 223, 225, 227 & 229 on the south side
Felix Street addresses were 216, 218, 218½, 220 & 228 Felix on the north side
The Market Square Historic District was not placed into the National Register of Historic Places by the St. Joseph Historical Society until March 17, 1972
The Urban Renewal Program had already began and it was placed in the National Register too late to save Market Square from the Urban Renewal wrecking ball
Here is a July 1969 list of property owners of Historic Market Square buildings

ALL MY MARKET SQUARE PHOTOS ARE BELOW
WILL SORT OUT AS ADDRESSES ARE LOCATED



4th St & Felix1 4th St & Felix2 4th St & Felix3 4th St & Felix4 4th St & Felix5 Market Before6 Market After7 Fruit Mkt8 Fruit Mkt9 Market Square10 11 Market Square12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Market Square20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

MARKET SQUARE
aka OLD FARMERS MARKET
aka APPLE MARKET
Was located at:
Market Square & 3rd Street
Edmond Street to Felix Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Once a thriving section of downtown, this was the Wholesale Food Business district. It used to be known as the Market Square, Farmers Market or Apple Market

Had Urban Renewal not razed these buildings, they would have made a great tourist attraction

The 1911 map in photo #20 shows the location of where the Market Square was located

It was located between Market Square & 3rd Streets and Edmond & Felix Streets

Sidney Rothstein and his brothers, Bill and Leonard, were the owners of Central Fruit Co. Their father, Nate Rothstein, had started the company with a partner sometime around the turn of the century

Another big fruit wholesaler was the Waris Fruit Company, they were located on the left side in some of these Photos

This is one of the first areas to be torn down during the Urban Renewal program

At one time, you could buy just about any kind of food at these markets

People in photo #8 - (left to right) Billy McGaughey, Bill Rothstein, Norville Grace, Sid Rothstein, Dale Kretzer, Nate Rothstein and on the steps in the back are Abe and Lou Blanar, owners of Blanar Fruit Company

Photo #1 - View of the buildings from the west side
Photo #2 - With dirt streets and horse drawn wagons, this Photo is quite old
Photo #3 - Farmer & Citizen Drug Company and Sandusky Fruit Market
Photo #4 - Advertising that was painted on the #3 & #4 buildings
Photo #5 - This is a view of 4th Street looking North from Felix Street
Photo #6 - Before the wrecking ball demolished these buildings
Photo #7 - Remnants of the wrecking ball during Urban Renewal
Photo #9 - Bill, Leonard and Sidney Rothstein by a Central Fruit Market truck
Photo #10 - This is ½ of the original half block Joseph Robidoux set up
Photo #11 - Old Market Square just prior to being destroyed
Photo #12 - Old photo of the Old Market Square
Photo #13 - 1910 Apple Market
Photo #16 - early 1900's photo
Photo #17 - early 1900's map
Photo #18 - Rosa Lipira Market
Photo #19 - Market Square in late 1960's
Photo #20 - 1911 Map of the area
Photo #21 - Razing of a building
Photo #22 - A building scheduled to be razed
Photo #23 - Group of buildings to be razed
Photo #24 - Market Square - all to be razed
Photo #25 - A pile of rubble
Photo #26 - Being razed
Photo #27 - Scheduled to be razed
Photo #28 - Scheduled to be razed
Photo #29 - One side of Market Square
Photo #30 - A little better photo than #2 photo
Photo #29 submitted by Michael Miller




RAZING OF MARKET SQUARE
BEGAN SATURDAY, DECEMBER 1, 1973

As per this St Joseph News-Press article



The circa may not be accurate, they are the earliest I was able to locate




Circa 1881
ST JOSEPH FRUIT COMPANY
108 North 2nd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Charles Allen Buddy was born in Adams county, Pennsylvania in 1856
Mr Buddy came to St Joseph in 1868 along with his parents
On the 4th of November, 1879, in St. Joseph's cathedral, Mr. Buddy was married to Miss Annie Elizabeth Farrell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Farrell, Sr. She was a graduate ot the Sacred Heart convent at Twelfth and Messanie streets
Her father and mother were natives of County Cavan, Ireland, and emigrated to this country as some of the pioneer settlers of St. Joseph
Mr. Edward Farrell and his son engaged in the manufacture of carriages and buggies in St Joseph
In 1881, Mr Buddy opened the St Joseph Fruit Company at 108 North 2nd Street which had previously been occupied by G. W. Buck Agricultural Impliments
Mr Buddy passed away in 1928 and is buried in Mount Olivet cemetery
St Joseph Fruit Company was located on the east side of North 2nd Street
It was not actually in the Market Square section but listed as Market Square
It was listed in the 1955 phone book, the company owner in 1955 is not known






Circa 1868
THEODORE TEXTOR & COMPANY
#47 Felix Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Wholesale and retail cigar & tobacco dealers
Was located on the north side of Market Square






Circa 1885
H. APPLE
211-213 Felix Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

H. Apple Company was located north of Market Square on Felix
This business was not actually in the Market Square section



SOUTH SIDE OF MARKET SQUARE - EDMOND STREET



Circa 1905
ST JOSEPH SUPPLY COMPANY
Circa 1969
NATE ROTHSTEIN
223 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2 3 4

Circa 1864
UHLMAN & RIPPEL PHOTOGRAPHERS
#31 Edmond Street
Circa 1880
UHLMAN PHOTOGRAPHIC GALLERY
225 Edmond Street
Circa 1969
NATE ROTHSTEIN
225 Edmond Street (vacant lot in 1969)
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Rudolph Uhlman was born April 5, 1829, at Chemnitz, Saxonia, Germany
Mr Uhlman died in Hot Springs, Arkansas on March 23, 1898
In 1864 Uhlman & Rippel opened a photograph gallery at #31 Edmond
They advertised "Pictures from the smallest to the largest"
They also offered "Copying done to the utmost perfection"
In 1867, the gallery was located at #31 Edmond Street
At one time it was on the north Side of Market Square opposite Express Office
Around 1880, the gallery was located at 225 Edmond
In 1887, it was located on Frederick between 12th & 13th Street
In 1889, it was located at 518 North 12th
In 1890, it was listed at the northwest corner of 5th & Felix
The gallery became very successful and moved around quite often
In 1882, Mr Uhlman photographed the corpse of Jesse James at McFadden's mortuary in St Joseph




Circa 1969
CHARLES H. WILLITS & WIFE (OWNERS)
227 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2

WILLITS BINDRY COMPANY
Circa 1969
CHARLES H. WILLITS & WIFE (OWNERS)
229 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal



NORTH SIDE OF MARKET SQUARE - FELIX STREET



UNKNOWN WHOLESALE PRODUCE COMPANY
216 Felix Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




Circa 1906
DOBLER'S HALL
Circa 1969
JOHN EDWARD KIRSCHNER (OWNER)
218 Felix Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Dobler's Hall was a meeting and eating place for various societies & organizations
For example, Baker Conventions were fed there with a buffet lunch
Leather Workers would hold their meetings twice a month there
Secret societies such as Minnehaha, No. 18 held the meetings there






Circa 1881
PROF. WILLIAM OREY BARBERSHOP
Circa 1906
DOBLER'S HALL
Circa 1969
JOHN EDWARD KIRSCHNER (OWNER)
220 Felix Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2 3

Circa 1862
VEGELY & KNEER CONFECTIONERS
Circa 1881
AUGUSTUS VEGELY
WHOLESALE CONFECTIONER
228 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

William Kneer, wholesale confectioner, was born July 15, 1828, in Westphalia, Prussia, Germany, and emigrated to America in 1849
He made his home in St. Joseph in 1851
For 11 years, he engaged in the saddlery business
In 1862, he started in the confectionery business with Emil Vegely
The firm's name was Vegely & Kneer Confectioners
After his partner's death in 1876 Mr. Kneer ran the business himself
By 1881, it had become Augustus Vegely, Wholesale Confectioner
The business was located on the northwest corner of Market Square
They were the oldest & largest confectioners on the Missouri river
When the business finally closed, Douglas Candy absorbed the business



WEST SIDE OF MARKET SQUARE - MARKET SQUARE



1 2

Circa 1930's
WARIS WHOLESALE FRUIT COMPANY
Circa 1969
JOHN EDWARD KIRSCHNER (OWNER)
101 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal

George Waris had gone into business with his siblings in the 1930s
Photo is the Market Square side where the trucks & railcars loaded and unloaded
Note the railway tracks running up the middle of Market Square
The CB&Q Railroad delivered fresh fruits and vegetables via these tracks
The last owners were William Waris, John Edward Kirschner




1 2

Circa 1969
JOHN EDWARD KIRSCHNER (OWNER)
103 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal

John Edward Kirschner




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1880
R. WILLMAN & COMPANY
Circa 1885
WILLMAN MERCHANTILE COMPANY
Circa 1895
WILLMAN FRUIT COMPANY
Circa 1930's
WARIS WHOLESALE FRUIT COMPANY
105-107 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Charles Willman was born on July 28, 1828 in Baden Germany
In 1872, Charles, his wife Francisca, and their children moved to St Joseph
In 1880, Charles Willman, his sons John N. and Reinhold, opened the R. Willman & Company at 105-107 Market Square
In 1885, Charles and Sons renamed their business Willman Merchantile Company
In 1895, the business was renamed as Willman Fruit Company
In the 1930's, George Waris had gone into business with his siblings as Waris Wholesale Fruit Company at 105-107 Market
The Waris family remained in business until Urban Renewal forced them to close





1 2

CENTRAL FRUIT COMPANY
109 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal

William Rothstein, Sidney Rothstein, Leonard Rothstein




1 2

CENTRAL FRUIT COMPANY
111 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal

William Rothstein, Sidney Rothstein, Leonard Rothstein




1 2

Circa 1955
CENTRAL FRUIT COMPANY
113 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal

William Rothstein, Sidney Rothstein, Leonard Rothstein




1 2

Circa 1955
CENTRAL FRUIT COMPANY
115 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal

William Rothstein, Sidney Rothstein, Leonard Rothstein




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1868
SANDUSKY & COMPANY
WHOLESALE FRUIT & PRODUCE
Circa 1955
CENTRAL FRUIT COMPANY
115 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Oliver A. Sandusky, Sr came to St Joseph in 1855
He married Serelda A. Potter in 1857
He took up farming and had a well stocked farm
Mr. Sandusky enlisted in the Union army in 1863
He was captured at Glasgow, Mo and was honorably discharged at war's end
He returned to St Joseph and opened a grocery store
In 1868, Mr Sandusky began a fruit and produce business
His company occupied 2 locations in Market Square
Mr Sandusky remained in the business until 1913 when he retired
Photo #2 - Circa 1872
Photo #3 - Circa 1890
Photo #4 - Market Square
Photo #5 - Market Square




1 2

Circa 1955
LOUIS BLANAR COMPANY FRUIT WHOLESALE
117 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2

Circa 1955
LOUIS BLANAR COMPANY FRUIT WHOLESALE
119 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2

Circa 1955
LOUIS BLANAR COMPANY FRUIT WHOLESALE
121 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2

Circa 1969
LOUIS BLANAR (OWNER)
123 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2

Circa 1955
HILGERT FRUIT COMPANY
123 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal



EAST SIDE OF MARKET SQUARE - SOUTH 3RD STREET





Circa 1953
E. H. MEYER MARKET
Circa 1969
JOHN EDWARD KIRSCHNER (OWNER)
102-104 South 3rd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The structure no longer exists
Holiday Inn is currently located at this site




1 2

Circa 1874
HOSEA, FLINT & KEMPER WHOLESALE
INDEPENDENT FRUIT COMPANY
Circa 1930's
WARIS WHOLESALE FRUIT COMPANY
106 South 3rd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

New company in 1874, Hosea, Flint & Kemper in Market Square
Wholesale dealers in notions, laces and white goods
Independent Fruit Company had a wholesale fruit business here
George Waris had gone into business with his siblings in the 1930s
The structure no longer exists
Holiday Inn is currently located at this site






Circa 1864
PONY EXPRESS OFFICE
BLACKIES BARBER SHOP
Circa 1969
CHARLES H. WILLITS & WIFE (OWNERS)
108 South 3rd Street
(Lot #8 of Market Square)
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This building contained the Pony Express office from which started from St. Joseph in 1864
It was also the building in which the mail was gathered for forwarding to Sacramento, California via the Pony Express
The structure no longer exists
Holiday Inn is currently located at this site




1 2 3

Circa 1899-1911
DONIPHAN & COMPANY
Circa 1911-1916
DONIPHAN CANDY COMPANY
Circa 1917
F. C. O'DONOGHUE FRUIT COMPANY
Circa 1969
CENTRAL FRUIT COMPANY
110-114 South 3rd Street
(Lots #9 & #10 in Market Square)
Demolished during Urban Renewal


Frederick Doniphan - Born Jan. 27, 1860 and died Apr. 27, 1912
Frederick Doniphan and John Castle were partners in Doniphan & Company
This building had quite a history dating back to 1846
In 1846, Joseph Robidoux sold the lots for $132.00
In 1880, the lots were sold for $25,000
By 1884, it had became a three story building
In 1899, Frederick Doniphan and John Castle bought the building
In 1901, they paid their share of paving 3rd Street from Felix to Messanie with Colorado red sandstone blocks
The paving cost was $192.69 for lot 9 and $96.34 lot 10
In 1911, Frederick Doniphan and John Castle sold lots #9 & #10 to Doniphan Candy Company for $40,000.00
Doniphan Candy Company made Quaker Candy and Cough Drops
Frederick Doniphan died in 1912
In 1915, the company took out a loan on the property for $10,000.00
In 1916, the creditor took possession of the property
December 15, 1916, the property was sold to F. C. O'Donoghue Fruit Company
In photo #2, F. C. O'Donoghue Fruit Company is visible beside Sandusky Fruit




1 2

Circa 1867
SANDUSKY & COMPANY
WHOLESALE FRUIT & PRODUCE
Circa 1969
CENTRAL FRUIT COMPANY
116 South 3rd Street
115 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Oliver A. Sandusky, Sr came to St Joseph in 1855
He married Serelda A. Potter in 1857
He took up farming and had a well stocked farm
Mr. Sandusky enlisted in the Union army in 1863
He was captured at Glasgow, Mo and was honorably discharged at war's end
He returned to St Joseph and opened a grocery store
In 1867, Mr Sandusky began a fruit and produce business
His company occupied 2 locations in Market Square
Mr Sandusky remained in the business until 1913 when he retired




Circa 1955
LOUIS BLANAR COMPANY FRUIT WHOLESALE
118 South 3rd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




Circa 1955
LOUIS BLANAR COMPANY FRUIT WHOLESALE
120 South 3rd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




Circa 1969
CHARLES H. WILLITS & WIFE (OWNERS)
122 South 3rd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu