Search Engine for St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind


Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

LISTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER



HOSPITALS, NURSING HOMES & ASYLUMS
CIRCA: 1894

In 1894, the city contained the following:
* City Hospital - Robidoux & Bellvue
* Ensworth Hospital - 7th & Jules Street
* Free Kindergarten & Day Nursery - 2108 South 6th
* Home for Little Wanderers - 28th & Colhoun
* Memorial Home - Main & Poulin Streets
* St Joseph's Hospital - 10th & Powell
* State Lunatic Asylum No.2 - Located on Asylum Road, 1 mile east of the city limits
(Asylum Road is known today as Frederick Avenue)






Circa 1914
ST JOSEPH'S 1ST AMBULANCE







ALLAMAN, JOHN M.
216-217 Physicians & Surgeons Building
7th & Felix







Circa 1948
ALANO MERCY HOSPITAL
aka ALANO CLUB OF ST JOSEPH
401 South 11th Street

The original facility is a historic mansion located in the Museum Hill Historic Neighborhood in St. Joseph, Missouri

The Alano Club of St. Joseph was founded in 1948 as Alano Mercy Hospital

It was chartered as a four bed hospital for the purpose of helping alcoholics in detoxification and for providing meeting space for AA and for AA Family Groups

Times changed
In 1952 Narcotics Anonymous was founded as the second 12 Step program

In 1956 Gamblers Anonymous was founded as a 12 Step Program

Also in 1956 the American Medical Association declared Alcoholism a disease

That declaration meant alcoholics could be treated in hospital emergency rooms and that insurance companies would cover costs of treatment






AMES, WILLIAM H.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond







ANDREWS, BERNEIL W.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond







ARNOLD NURSING HOME
701 South 11th





BECK, LEROI
1618 North 3rd (3rd & Linn)

A private residence - evidently worked out of his home






BENSON, SCOTT C.
509-510 Corby Building
422 Felix







BERNEY, FRANCIS J.
320 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis







DR CHAIRANTINO
CLOICE H. BIGGINS
1302 Faraon Street

This building was all green in the 1950's




BLOOMER, GAYLORD T.
1218 North 3rd

Building no longer exists, currently a vacant lot






BRISTOW, ROBERT
211 Physicians & Surgeons Building
7th & Felix







BRUMM, HAROLD J.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond







BUCK, RONALD W.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond







BUTLER, ELIZABETH F.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond







CARLE, HORACE W.
301 Physicians & Surgeons Building
7th & Felix







CARPENTER, TYSON
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond







CHIAROTTINO, JOSEPH F.
1302 Faraon Street

This building was all green in the 1950's






COLLEY, ELIJAH A.
518 Mitchell Avenue

The building no longer exists






CONRAD, ERNEST A.
Osteopathic Physcian
426 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis





CONRAD, ROBERT W.
404 Tootle Building




CRAIG, OWEN W. D.
406 Tootle Building






DAWSON, O. L.
317 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis







DuMONT, CLEMENT C.
305-308 Schneider Building
7th & Felix Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

After Urban Renewal moved to 7th & Jules Street






Circa 1885
DR. HALL'S SANITARIUM
3rd & Faraon

In 1865, Dr William H Hall M.D. came to St Joseph

He practiced as an M.D. until 1885

In 1885, Dr Hall had Dr Hall's Sanitarium built at 3rd and Faraon Streets

It was a stone and brick building, three stories high

The construction cost was $75,000. It was well equipped with Turkish, Russian, electric needle and electro-thermal baths

It also had mechanical massage and was fitted in an elaborate manner

The sanitarium failed after 6 years and the building was sold for $12,500

He returned to his office practice as an M.D.

In later years, his son, Edward Parks Hall M.D. had an office in the Ballinger building





Elder Sanitarium

ELDER SANITARIUM
723 Main





ELLIOTT, JOHN R.
202 Huber Building
8th & Francis Streets




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1892-1931
ST JOSEPH HOSPITAL MEDICAL COLLEGE (1876-1882)
COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS (Est. 1878)
ST JOSEPH MEDICAL COLLEGE
(Est. 1882)
ENSWORTH MEDICAL COLLEGE & HOSPITAL (Est. 1888)
CENTRAL MEDICAL COLLEGE OF ST JOSEPH (Est. 1894)
ENSWORTH-CENTRAL MEDICAL COLLEGE OF ST JOSEPH (1905-1907)
ENSWORTH MEDICAL COLLEGE (1907-1914)
7th & JULES

There is quite a history behind formation of Ensworth Medical College

In 1882 St Joseph Hospital Medical College merged with College of Physicians and Surgeons of St. Joseph to form St. Joseph Medical College

In 1888 it became Ensworth Medical College & Hospital

In 1905 it merged with Central Medical College to form Ensworth-Central Medical College of St. Joseph

In 1907 it became Ensworth Medical College

The building was located on the northwest Corner 7th and Jule

This building was razed in 1931 and is currently a city parking lot







Circa 1895
FIRST CITY HOSPITAL
Robidoux & Bellevue


This was the first city hospital in 1895




FERGUSON, CHESTER L.
Osteopathic Physician
Room 205
801½ Francis




FERGUSON, LUTHER J.
723½ Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal




FISHER & McGLOTHIAN
824 Edmond Street

Building no longer exists, currently a vacant lot






FORDYCE, CLAUDE P.
414 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis





FORGRAVE & FORGRAVE
429 North 8th Street

Building no longer exists, currently a vacant lot






FORMAN, GEORGE W.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond





Hermans

FOSTER, AUREL E.
Osteopathic Physician
203 Herman Building
624 Edmond Street






FUSON, LEVI H.
322-323 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis





GOODSON, FENTON N.
109½ West Missouri Avenue




GOULD, BERNARD S.
Osteopathic Physician
201 Huber Building
8th & Francis Streets






GRANT, CLAUDE S.
1302 Faraon Street

This building was all green in the 1950's






GREENBERG, CHARLES J
211 Physicians & Surgeons Building
7th & Felix







GRIMES, MANNING E.
315 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis





GROSS, EVERETT J.
Osteopathic Physician
5105 King Hill Avenue






HANDLER, ERIC
311 Physicians & Surgeons Building
7th & Felix





HANSEN, WALTER J.
2802 Jule Street






HARTIGAN, FRANK X.
307 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis





HARTSOCK, JOHN L.
Osteopathic Physician
926 Edmond






HARTSOCK GENERAL HOSPITAL
1204 Frederick Avenue

Dr W. S. Hartsock
The building is gone, now an empty lot




HARTSOCK OSTEOPATHIC CLINIC
3132 St Joseph Avenue







HERMAN, ALLEN I.
301 Physicians & Surgeons Building
7th & Felix







HOWDEN, THOMAS L.
419 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis







HUGHES, JUDSON M.
205-207 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis







HUNT, WILLIAM J.
314 Schneider Building
7th & Felix Streets
Demolished during Urban Renewal







IDE, LUCIEN W.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond





1 2

Circa 1885
J. A. FRENCH PRIVATE HOSPITAL
402 South 8th Street

In 1885, this private hospital was located at 402 South 8th Street
A "separate lying-in chamber" must have been a private room
A modern structure now occupies the address




JEWETT, JESSE G.
Osteopathic Physician
710-712 Jules Street






KIEBER, ROBERT W.
209-10 Physicians & Surgeons Building
7th & Felix







KIRK, JOHN S.
202 Physicians & Surgeons Building
7th & Felix





1 2 3 4 5 6

KIRKPATRICK BUILDING
620-624 Francis
KINDER'S PRESCRIPTION SHOP
622 Francis
KIRKPATRICK JEWELRY
624 Francis

The Kirkpatrick building was originally located on the SW corner of 8th & Felix

The new 4 story building at 620 Francis was designed by Walter Boschen in 1923

The upper floors were used by physcians, specialists and dentists

Kirkpatrick Jewelry and Kinder's Prescription Shop occupied the bottom floor

At one time 9 businesses occupied the building

The building has beautiful ornate work

Photo #1 - Kirkpatrick Building - 7th & Francis
Photo #2 - Ornate stonework - 7th & Francis
Photo #3 - 1927 photo - 7th & Francis
Photo #4 - Present day photo - 7th & Francis
Photo #5 - 1900's photo at 8th & Felix - cop is wearing a Keystone type helmet
Photo #6 - 1949 newspaper photo of Kirkpatrick & Physicians buildings






KNEPPER, PAUL A.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond







KOLOWSKI, JACOB
414-415 Corby Building
422 Felix







LAU, GUSTAVE A.
217 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis





1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1973
PILGRAM, LAWRENCE
Dentist
2403 Frederick Avenue

Lawrence Pilgram had his dental office in this building for 12 years, 1973-1985
The building was owned by Dr Peterson
Dr Hollingsworth DDS followed Dr Pilgram
The building was later sold to Dr Larry Jones DDS
Dr Nelson & Wife, both dentists, followed Dr Jones, still in the building in 2012






McDANIEL, JOHN R.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond





McDONALD, WILBUR P.
301 North 8th Street




McFALL, LAWRENCE
Osteopathic Physician
822 Edmond Street






MELUNEY, SOL E.
214 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis





1 2 3

MEMORIAL HOME
Main & Poulin

This was a rest home for the elderly
The Memorial Home still stands at the northwest corner of Main and Poulin Streets




Mercy Hospital1 Mercy Hospital2 Mercy Hospital3 Mercy Hospital4

MERCY HOSPITAL
GENERAL OSTEOPATHIC HOSPITAL
117 S. 15th

Located on the northeast corner of 15th & Edmond
Mercy Hospital was possibly the 1st hospital in St Joseph
General Osteopathic Hospital was incorporated in May 1962
It is currently is an assisted living home
The original building no longer exists

Photo #1 - Very old photo of the building
Photo #2 - 1937 remodeling of the hospital
Photo #3 - 1974 newspaper photo of when it was General Osteopathic Hospital
Photo #4 - Current photo of the building




Mercy Hospital1 Mercy Hospital2 Mercy Hospital3

Circa 1920's
MERCY HOSPITAL & SANITORIUM
823 FARAON

The building no longer exists






MILLER, EUGENE A.
320 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis







MILLER, JACK G.
309 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis







MINTON, ROBERT S.
704-706 Corby Building
422 Felix







MINTON, WILLIAM H.
704-706 Corby Building
422 Felix







MOEN, BERWYN H.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond







MUENCH, ALBERT
215 Physicians & Surgeons Building
7th & Felix





1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Circa 1924
MISSOURI METHODIST HOSPITAL
METHODIST MEDICAL CENTER
HEARTLAND WEST HOSPITAL
HEARTLAND REGIONAL
MEDICAL CENTER
MOSAIC LIFE CARE
8th & Faraon

Missouri Methodist Hospital opened in 1924 at 8th & Faraon
Next to it was another hospital constructed of the blond bricks which operated under two different names: Osteopathic Hospital and Mercy Hospital
Missouri Methodist purchased the Mercy Hospital around 1957
Carder Hall opened in the 1950's as a dorm for the student nurses at Missouri Methodist Hospital. It was named in honor of Dr. Carder who was head of Missouri Methodist Hospital
Sometime in the 1960's, the hospital dropped Missouri from it's name becoming Methodist Hospital
It remained Methodist Hospital until the 1970's when it became Methodist Medical Center
Methodist Medical Center had the new hospital built on Riverside Road
It was then that Heartland Health System was formed. The name was changed again to Heartland West
For a while it was known as Heartland Regional Medical Center
The 2 hospitals were finally joined in 1984
With the Sister's Hospital gone, Heartland Hospital now has a monopoly in St Joseph
The entire hospital was torn down creating a huge vacant lot in the downtown area

Heartland changed it's name to Mosaic in 2014






NESS, CARL K.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond





1 2 3 4

NOYES HOSPITAL
MO METHODIST NURSES HOME
ANCHOR SERUM
FREDERICK TOWERS
24th & Frederick Ave

This was originally Noyes Hospital
Noyes Hospital was located at 24th & Frederick Ave
In 1953 it was listed as Missouri Methodist Hospital Nurses Home
Anchor Serum aquired the building in 1955
Anchor Serum moved their operation to Belt & Gene Field
It is now called Frederick Towers, it houses many business offices

Photo #1: Noyes Hospital
Photo #2: Frederick Towers
Photo #3: October 1955 Newspaper article about Anchor Serum aquiring Noyes Hospital
Photo #4: 1917 photo of Noyes Hospital






O'CONNOR, WILLIAM B.
219 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis







O'DONOGHUE, JAMES
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond







OSTEOPATHIC HOSPITAL
9th & Faraon

In 1921, this Osteopathic hospital was located at 9th & Faraon






PARKVIEW NURSING HOME
1212 DEWEY AVENUE






PAUL, THOMAS M.
201 Physicians & Surgeons Building
7th & Felix





PEARSON, JANE R.
Osteopathic Physician
6207 King Hill Avenue




PEARSON, LAMBERT H.
Osteopathic Physician
6207 King Hill Avenue




Hermans

PENTZ, WILLIAM E.
202 Herman Building
624 Edmond Street






PETERSEN, HAROLD E.
212 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis





1 2 3

PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS BUILDING
7th & FRANCIS
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Until urban renewal in the 1970's, the Physicians & Surgeons building stood at the southeast corner of 7th & Francis. The 3 story building housed a number of doctors, dentists and insurance agents. There was also retail stores including Spengler Pharmacy
A City Park now consumes 3/4 of the city block
In photo #2, a St Joseph Public Library sign is visible
Photo #2: Circa 1927




PIFER, L. H.
1218 North 3rd Street




POTTER, THOMPSON E.
731 Faraon






REDMOND, WILLIAM S.
411 Corby Building
422 Felix







RIDDELL, RICHARD V.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond





RIEMER, MILTON E.
423 Main Street






ROSENTHAL, IRWIN
204 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis





ROST, WILLIAM B.
314 North 10th Street






ROUNDY, COLLIS I.
229-230 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis





RYAN, HAROLD
301 North 8th Street






ST JOSEPH NURSES SCHOOL & HOSPITAL
8th & Sylvanie






SAFERSTEIN, HARRY
507 Corby Building
422 Felix







ST JOSEPH VETERINARY COLLEGE
9th & Mary




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

ST JOSEPH HOSPITAL
SISTER'S HOSPITAL
10th & Powell

St Joseph Hospital - was once located at 10th & Powell
It was a Catholic operated hospital later known as the Sister's Hospital
The entire hospital was torn down several years ago and turned into another empty lot
The city turned the empty lot into a nice looking city park

Photo #1 - Sister's Hospital as it looked prior to razing
Photo #2 - St Joseph Hospital
Photo #3 - St Joseph Hospital
Photo #4 - The new city park
Photo #5 - The new city park
Photo #6 - The new city park
Photo #7 - 1907 Photo of Sister's Hospital
Photo #8 - Postcard
Photo #9 - Horse and buggy out front of hospital
Photo #10 - Sister's Hospital photo taken before 1960
Photo #11 - Razing of Sister's Hospital
Photo #12 - Razing of Sister's Hospital
Photo #13 - Razing of Sister's Hospital
Photo #14 - Aerial view of Sister's Hospital




SAMPSON, CHRIS M.
Room 14
208 South 5th Street






SAUER, GORDON C.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond







SCHERTZ, TRUMAN B.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond







SENNE, HERBERT C.
206-207 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis





SENOR, EARL
Schmid Building
722 Francis Street




SENOR, SAMUEL
Schmid Building
722 Francis Street




SHACKELFORD, EARL U.
Osteopathic Physician
203 Huber Building
8th & Francis Streets






SHEVLIN, CHARLES F.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond





SIMMONS, BENJAMIN B.
204-206 Huber Building
8th & Francis Streets






SMITH, ANDREW J.
317-18 Physicians & Surgeons Building
7th & Felix





SMITH, CLIFTON
218-220 North 7th Street






SMITH, RAYMOND L.
209-210 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis







SPENCER, FLOYD H.
404-405 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis







SPENCER, JOHN M.
Osteopathic Physcian
224 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis





1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Circa 1870's
State Hospital #2
3408 Fredrick

The buildings were constructed in the 1870's
In 1994, the State Hospital moved across the street to 3405 Frederick Avenue
The state turned this building into a prison or correctional center





STEIDLEY, CLIFFORD L.
Osteopathic Physician
207 Huber Building
8th & Francis Streets




STEIDLEY, NEVA M.
Osteopathic Physician
207 Huber Building
8th & Francis Streets




STEVENSON, G. E.
Osteopathic Physician
224 Logan Building




1 2 3

SUNNY SLOPE NURSING HOME
3325 SOUTH 11th STREET




TAHIR, MOHAMMED
228 Illinois Avenuet




1 2 3 4

THOMPSON, BRUMM, KNEPPER CLINIC
902 Edmond

Located on the Souteast corner of 9th & Edmond
After the clinic closed, Cook Computers occupied the building for many years
I don't know if anyone is currently occupying this building

Photo #1 - View from city parking lot
Photo #2 - Old photo when the clinic was in operation
Photo #3 - 1946 ground breaking for the new clinic
Photo #4 - Looking east from 9th & Charles, the buildings on the left were removed for the clinic parking lot






THOMPSON, GREGG Jr
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond




1 2

Circa 1911
THOMPSON SANITARIUM
2202 Goff Avenue

Photo #1 - 1911 Circa
Photo #2 - 2012 Circa




TIMMERMAN, ARTHUR R.
234 Illinois Avenue






TOSPON, HOOKER N.
Osteopathic Physcian
418 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis







TRAPP, MORRIS L.
208 Schneider Building
7th & Felix Streets
Demolished during Urban Renewal







TRIMBLE, FOY
Osteopathic Physcian
203 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis





TURNEY, NELLE D.
Osteopathic Physician
118 North 8th Street






WADLOW, ERNEST E.
220 Kirkpatrick Building
620-624 Francis





WAGGONER, SHARON E.
301 Illinois Avenue




WHITSELL, JOHN C.
824 Edmond Street




WHITSELL, EARL
824 Edmond Street






WILLIAMSEN, HENRY C.
Thompson, Brumm & Knepper Clinic
902 Edmond





ZACHOW, ADOLPH E.
Osteopathic Physician
320 Illinois Avenue




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu