The building has large show windows across the front and the side front of the building.
It has no important features other than this. The building is covered with signs.|
This particular address was first occupied by a feed mill business in 1881
C.H. Cliff built a feed mill on this site in 1881
Cliff was born in St. Louis County, Missouri in 1844 and came to St. Joseph in 1852.
He was one of the original Pony Express riders, riding a segment from St. Joseph to Seneca, Kansas.
At the turn of the century, H.F. Winteford was the operator of the feed mill and maintained a small cattle yard to the rear of
the building as well.
In the early days, farmers would drive their hogs and cattle down the Avenue to be sold either
to butchers along the way or to early packing plants and/or the stockyards after they were organized.
W.G. Foge was the long time 20th Century operator of the Feed Mill.
Roy Hatfield succeeded Fogg as operator of the Feed Mill, but in 1946, the old
mill was demolished and the present building was constructed.
Hatfield began selling hardware in addition to feed and by 1959, sporting goods had been added.
In 1929, a cafe area was added to the east side of the building
For a number of years the cafe was operated by Wade Goff who was famous for his brain sandwiches.
At some point in time, Wade Goff built Wades Hamburgers at 2030 Frederick Avenue
In 1951, the Wades Hamburgers building was demolished and Wade moved his business to a new location at 16th & Mitchell Avenue, thus Wade's Indian Grill was born.
At one time, this was the largest and most popular hardware & sporting goods store in town
Hatfield's Hardware was established at the turn of the 20th century by Roy C. Hatfield
Hatfield's Hardware started out selling coal, feed, hardware and a few shotguns and pistols
By the mid 1900's, they sold about everything from guns, boats, boat motors, motorcycles,
hardware and even had a cafe attached to the east side of the building that served a great breakfast and lunch
The shop will officially close on Sept. 1, 2013 with a two-day gun and sporting goods auction
on Sept. 15-16, followed by an Antique Auction later in the winter
For the past 20 years, the 8000 square foot building has been an antique mall
Photo #2 - Tim Hatfield