index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind


Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

LISTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER - CIRCAs = THE EARLIEST I FOUND





ARENA BROWNE FRUIT MARKET
North 3rd

Was located on the east side of North 3rd Street between Jules and Faraon Streets
The building no longer exists




1 2

Circa 1955
BILL ROBINSON FRUIT MARKET
THOMAS MARKETS
SAC-N-SAVE
DEBBIE'S CLOSET
4913 Lake Avenue


Bill Robinson's father originally built a fruit market at this address
The Robinson family ran the store for many years
Thomas Market occupied the building for numerous years
In later years it became Sac-N-Save Discount grocery store
Sac-N-Save closed it's doors in 2013 and the building has been sitting empty since
In March 2016, the building is currently being prepared to become Debbie's Closet
The building will house roughly 10,000 square feet of used appliances and furniture

Photo #1 - Bill Robinson, Jr and his sister Judy (submitted by Joe Robinson)
Photo #2 - St Joseph News-Press photo





1 2

Circa 1955
CENTRAL FRUIT COMPANY
109 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal

William Rothstein, Sidney Rothstein, Leonard Rothstein



THE CITY MARKET & WHOLESALE FOOD DISTRICT



1 2 3

Circa 1951
CITY MARKET
South 2nd & 3rd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This area was called the City Market, this was different than Market Square
In photos #1 & #3, the Douglas Candy building, which was located on south 2nd Street, can be seen in the background

Photo #1 - outside view of 1951 City Market
Photo #2 - inside view of 1952 City Market
Photo #3 - Newspaper photos of the City Market




1 2 3

Circa 1899-1911
DONIPHAN & COMPANY
Circa 1911-1916
DONIPHAN CANDY COMPANY
Circa 1917
F. C. O'DONOGHUE FRUIT COMPANY
Circa 1969
CENTRAL FRUIT COMPANY
110-114 South 3rd Street
(Lots #9 & #10 in Market Square)
Demolished during Urban Renewal


Frederick Doniphan - Born Jan. 27, 1860 and died Apr. 27, 1912
Frederick Doniphan and John Castle were partners in Doniphan & Company
This building had quite a history dating back to 1846
In 1846, Joseph Robidoux sold the lots for $132.00
In 1880, the lots were sold for $25,000
By 1884, it had became a three story building
In 1899, Frederick Doniphan and John Castle bought the building
In 1901, they paid their share of paving 3rd Street from Felix to Messanie with Colorado red sandstone blocks
The paving cost was $192.69 for lot 9 and $96.34 lot 10
In 1911, Frederick Doniphan and John Castle sold lots #9 & #10 to Doniphan Candy Company for $40,000.00
Doniphan Candy Company made Quaker Candy and Cough Drops
Frederick Doniphan died in 1912
In 1915, the company took out a loan on the property for $10,000.00
In 1916, the creditor took possession of the property
December 15, 1916, the property was sold to F. C. O'Donoghue Fruit Company
In photo #2, F. C. O'Donoghue Fruit Company is visible beside Sandusky Fruit




Circa 1955
E.H. MEYER MARKET
102 South 3rd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Wholesale fruit and vegetables
The structure no longer exists
Holiday Inn is currently located at this site




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1938
GREEN HILLS SUPER MARKET
Circa 1961
GREEN HILLS SUPER MARKET(ROY's)
NO PLACE COUNTRY BAR
3415 South 22nd Street

Listed as a retail fruit market in 1955 telephone book
This was the 2nd Green Hills grocery store to be built at this location
In later years it was listed as Roy's Green Hills
The first Green Hills was built in 1938 by C. M. Johnson
He got the name from a nightclub that once stood at the location
In 1961, the Midland Empire Shopping Center was created which included a new Green Hills store and a Mattingly's 5c to $1 store
On Novemeber 15, 1961 a grand opening was held for the new store
At the time, it was the largest grocery store in St Joseph
After sitting empty for numerous years, the 1961 vintage Green Hills building was sold and opened as a bar in Dec 2011
It was turned into a bar called No Place Country Bar and features dancing

Photo #1 - 1961 Advertisement
Photo #2 - 2010 photo of the building
Photo #3 - 1981 Advertisement
Photo #4 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press advertisement Grand Opening of new shopping center
Photo #5 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press newspaper article
Photo #6 - The No Place Country Bar
Photo #7 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press photo





1 2

Circa 1955
HILGERT FRUIT COMPANY
123 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1874
HOSEA, FLINT & KEMPER WHOLESALE
INDEPENDENT FRUIT COMPANY
106 South 3rd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

New company in 1874, Hosea, Flint & Kemper in Market Square
Wholesale dealers in notions, laces and white goods
Independent Fruit Company was the last business here
The structure no longer exists
Holiday Inn is currently located at this site




Circa 1955
KIEFER PRODUCE COMPANY
920 ½ Dewey




Circa 1955
KOTOK A-G FOOD MARKET
901 South 9th Street

Fresh fruits and vegetables - Free Delivery




1 2 3

Circa 1955
LOUIS BLANAR COMPANY FRUIT WHOLESALE
117 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal
Wholesale distributor for fresh fruits and vegetables




Circa 1955
PEOPLES GROCERY
922 North 9th Street

J Gordon Proprietor
Fruits - Meats - Vegs




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 2000
PONY EXPRESS FARMER'S MARKET
East Hills Shopping Center
(Seasonal and Weather Permitting)

The Pony Express Farmer's Market is held in the East Hills Parking Lot
Located outside of the south Dillard's entrance near Woodbine entrance
The Market is open on WEDNESDAYS & SATURDAYS: 7 AM - 1 PM
The last day of the market is usually in late October
Featured Products at the Farmers Market:
Baked Goods, Bread, Brownies, Cakes, Cupcakes, Coffee Cake, Cookies, Dinner Rolls, Pies, Angel Food Cake, Lemon Bars, Orange Rum Cake, Pies, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes, Zucchini, Cucumber, Salsa, Watermelon, Jam, Jellies, Peaches, Blackberries, Russet Potatoes, Enchiladas, Bratwursts, Peppers, Onions, Asparagus, Flowers, Plants, Banana Peppers, Bread N Butter Pickles, Cantaloupe, Lettuce, Squash, Egg Plant, Honey, Green Onion, Herbs, and more!r Bread Mixes, Biscuit & Pancake Mixes, Dips, Cabbage, and more!
About Us: The Pony Express Farmers Market is a grower-only farmers market.
Vendors may be inspected prior to setting up at the market to ensure that the customers are buying directly from the grower
We strive to maintain top quality products whether it be, the baker, beekeeper, gardener, grower, cook or artisan.
Our goal is to give our customers the freshest and most natural products at a reasonable cost.
Our vendors are proud of their products and enjoy sharing them with you, the consumer.
Location: The Pony Express Farmers' Market is located in the East Hills Mall Parking Lot (behind Dillards & Sears) off Woodbine in St. Joseph, MO.
The open air market is open every Wednesday and Saturday from 7am-1pm or sellout; and runs from mid-April through the end October.

Contact: Pony Express Farmers Market
c/o Joe Bauer
816-261-6860





1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1880
R. WILLMAN & COMPANY
Circa 1885
WILLMAN MERCHANTILE COMPANY
Circa 1895
WILLMAN FRUIT COMPANY
Circa 1930's
WARIS WHOLESALE FRUIT COMPANY
105-107 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Charles Willman was born on July 28, 1828 in Baden Germany
In 1872, Charles, his wife Francisca, and their children moved to St Joseph
In 1880, Charles Willman, his sons John N. and Reinhold, opened the R. Willman & Company at 105-107 Market Square
In 1885, Charles and Sons renamed their business Willman Merchantile Company
In 1895, the business was renamed as Willman Fruit Company
In the 1930's, George Waris had gone into business with his siblings as Waris Wholesale Fruit Company at 105-107 Market
The Waris family remained in business until Urban Renewal forced them to close







Circa 1955
ROSA LIPIRA MARKET
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
220 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1868
SANDUSKY & COMPANY
WHOLESALE FRUIT & PRODUCE
Circa 1955
CENTRAL FRUIT COMPANY
115 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Oliver A. Sandusky, Sr came to St Joseph in 1855
He married Serelda A. Potter in 1857
He took up farming and had a well stocked farm
Mr. Sandusky enlisted in the Union army in 1863
He was captured at Glasgow, Mo and was honorably discharged at war's end
He returned to St Joseph and opened a grocery store
In 1868, Mr Sandusky began a fruit and produce business
His company occupied 2 locations in Market Square
Mr Sandusky remained in the business until 1913 when he retired
Photo #2 - Circa 1872
Photo #3 - Circa 1890
Photo #4 - Market Square
Photo #5 - Market Square






Circa 1878
SCHAEFFER PRODUCE & GROCERY
18th Street & Frederick Avenue





1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Circa 1945
ST JOSEPH FOODS
619-625 South 7th Street
3207 South 759 Highway

This was not an actual fruit market, but they converted fresh fruit into other products on a wholesale level

Manufacturer of jellies, preserves, apple butter, vinegar, syrups, and salad dressings

Aug. 1, 1945 The company began as a partnership: Harold L. & Leora N. O'Reilly and J. E. Hunt

Aug. 20, 1948 The company was incorporated by H.L. O'Reilly and J. E. Hunt

Fred Hunt took over his father's interest when the J.E. passed away

Aug. 1948 The 7th street address was expanded

Nov. 1952 The 7th street address was expanded again

July, 1963 The company built a new and larger plant on 759 Highway

Mr O'Reilly paid for railroad tracks to be installed behind the building so he could receive his sugar and other supplies by rail

September 1968 The building was sold to the St Joseph Woods company who only had to change one letter on the building, making it St. Joseph Woods instead of St Joseph Foods

Much of the equipment was sold to a company starting a preserve and jelly factory on the island of Trinidad

Mr & Mrs O'Reilly moved to Trinidad for one year to help start that company (as an employee) and to develop new formulas using island fruits

Nov. 1969 The O'Reillys moved to Phoenix, Arizona

Mr O'Reilly became a Real Estate Professional, he passed away on January 7, 1993

Mrs O'Reilly passed away on March 3, 1997

Photo #1 - circa 1945
Photo #2 - circa 1945
Photo #3 - circa 1945
Photo #4 - circa 1945
Photo #5 - circa 1945
Photo #6 - circa 1945
Photo #7 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press article
Photo #8 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press photo
Photo #9 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press article
Photo #10 - Some products manufactured
Photo #11 - Some products manufactured
Photo #12 - Some products manufactured
Photo #13 - Some products manufactured
Photo #14 - Some products manufactured
Photo #15 - Holiday adverstisement
Photo #16 - Holiday adverstisement
Photo #17 - St Joseph Foods Christmas Card
Photo #18 - St Joseph Foods stationary
Photo #19 - 1952 plant expansion
Photo #20 - The new plant on 759 highway
Photos & information was donated by Mary O'Reilly (owner's daughter)






Circa 1881
ST JOSEPH FRUIT COMPANY
108 North 2nd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Charles Allen Buddy was born in Adams county, Pennsylvania in 1856
Mr Buddy came to St Joseph in 1868 along with his parents
On the 4th of November, 1879, in St. Joseph's cathedral, Mr. Buddy was married to Miss Annie Elizabeth Farrell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Farrell, Sr. She was a graduate ot the Sacred Heart convent at Twelfth and Messanie streets
Her father and mother were natives of County Cavan, Ireland, and emigrated to this country as some of the pioneer settlers of St. Joseph
Mr. Edward Farrell and his son engaged in the manufacture of carriages and buggies in St Joseph
In 1881, Mr Buddy opened the St Joseph Fruit Company at 108 North 2nd Street which had previously been occupied by G. W. Buck Agricultural Impliments
Mr Buddy passed away in 1928 and is buried in Mount Olivet cemetery
St Joseph Fruit Company was located on the east side of North 2nd Street
It was not actually in the Market Square section but listed as Market Square
It was listed in the 1955 phone book, the company owner in 1955 is not known






Photo Circa 1875
T. CONNELLY & COMPANY
A. & J. CARNEY
DAWALIBY FRUIT MARKET
311 Felix Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Before 1875, this was T. Connely & Company
In 1875, this was AJ Carney's new location
Listed in 1953 city directory as Dawaliby Fruit Market
Mrs Rose Dawaliby proprietor




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1930's
THOMAS MARKETS
3323 St Joseph Avenue
4913 Lake Avenue
205 W Main, Savannah MO

Check out all of those Black Diamond Watermelons!
Those were the good ole days for sure
Thomas Markets were those neighborhood markets that you loved to shop at
They were a small version of the large grocery stores
In the mid '30's, E. C. Thomas began selling fresh fruit and vegetables throughout Midwest Missouri off the back of his truck
A few years later, he opened up Thomas Fruit Market on St Joseph Avenue, Thomas Market remained here for many years
3323 St Joseph Avenue, as of 2011 it was a Dollar General
4913 Lake Avenue, as of 2011 it was Sack N' Save (in 2013 it closed)
205 W Main, Savannah MO, as of 2011 it was Green Hills Supermarket
In future years, E. C. Thomas's sons, Jim, Roy and Ernie Thomas operated 4 Thomas Markets (I seem to be missing a 4th store)
Jim Thomas's children, Don, Mark, Mike, Carl and Kay assisted in operating the stores
Sadly, the Thomas Market on St Joseph Avenue closed many years ago and is currently a Dollar General Store




1 2

Circa 1930's
WARIS WHOLESALE FRUIT COMPANY
101-105 Market Square

Circa 1969
JOHN EDWARD KIRSCHNER (OWNER)
101 Market Square
Demolished during Urban Renewal

George Waris had gone into business with his siblings in the 1930s
Photo is the Market Square side where the trucks & railcars loaded and unloaded
Note the railway tracks running up the middle of Market Square
The CB&Q Railroad delivered fresh fruits and vegetables via these tracks
The last owners were William Waris, John Edward Kirschner





1 2 3 4

Circa 1870-1900
WHOLESALE DISTRICT
3rd Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

These buildings were constructed between 1870 and 1900

Most buildings contained offices and storage for wholesale grocery & fruit companies

The backside of these buildings faced the Market Square on 2nd Street

The Market Square would later become City Market

A railroad spur ran behind these building for shipping fruit & groceries

These buildings were demolished during the Urban Renewal program in the 1970's

Photo #1 - West side of the Wholesale District on 3rd Street
Photo #2 - 1930 photo of the Wholesale District
Photo #3 - Postcard with birds-eye view of the Wholesale District
Photo #4 - Old photo of some of the Wholesale buildings






Circa 1955
WOODBURY'S FRUIT MARKET
1302 South 9th Street

Woodbury's always had a fine selection of fruits and vegetables
This was a really nice market, we bought Black Diamond watermelons here every year
During the summer months, they had a huge metal tub on the sidewalk filled with Black Diamond watermelons
They would plug the melons so you can see what you were buying




Circa 1955
UNKNOWN WHOLESALE PRODUCE COMPANY
216 Felix Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any comments or questions
Rick Drozd - rickdrozd@gmail.com

Return To Main Menu