http://www.free-counter-plus.com

Search Engine for St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind


Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE: Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 2017
NEW FIRE STATION
SOUTH 22nd STREET

The fire station at 18th & Walnut is being replaced with this new station. It will be located on 22nd Street between Sycamore Court and Walnut Street.




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 2017
NEW FIRE STATION
32nd & FARAON STREET

A new fire station is being constructed on the north side of Faraon Street, just east of 32nd Street




1 2

Circa 1865
WATERWITCH & BLACKSNAKE
FIRE COMPANIES

The St. Joseph Fire Department was established in 1865
The first steam powered fire pump was called the Blacksnake (photo #1)
The Blacksnake Company was staffed by former members of the Union Army
Another fire company was named the Waterwitch Company (photo #2)
The Waterwitch was pulled by crew members and was pumped by hand
The Waterwitch Company was primarily made up of German-Americans
The two companies were rivals and at times clashed violently
In 1870, the Waterwitch company was disbanded by the City Council
The City of St. Joseph established its paid fire department utilizing the Blacksnake steam pump

Photo #2 was taken in 1869 on the northwest corner of 6th & Edmond
The photo shows the St Joseph Volunteer Fire Department
The machine in the photo was known as Waterwitch Number 2
It was pulled to the fire scenes by ropes




1 2

Circa 1871
BLUEBIRD #3 FIRE WAGON

The Bluebird Fire Wagon was introduced in 1871
The Bluebird Fire Wagon served St Joseph Fire Department until 1925




1 2

Circa 1888
ST JOSEPH FIRE DEPARTMENT
YEARLY EXPENSES REPORT

Comparison of 12 years of expenses to operate St Joseph Fire Department




Central Fire Station1 Central Fire Station2 Central Fire Station3 Central Fire Station4 Central Fire Station5 Central Fire Station6

CIRCA 1890
CENTRAL FIRE STATION #1
Northeast Corner of 7th & Charles
CIRCA 1918
CENTRAL FIRE STATION
Northeast Corner of 7th & Charles

This was the original Central Fire Station
It was located on the southeast corner of 7th Street and Charles
The structure no longer exists
It was located where the state unemployment office currently is located
Photo #5 - Circa 1899
Photo #6 - 1954 Fire Engines, 7th Street is being resurfaced




Central Fire Station1 Central Fire Station2 Central Fire Station3 Central Fire Station4

CENTRAL FIRE STATION #1
7th & Charles

This modern Central Fire Station is our current Central Station
It is located on 7th Street, between Charles & Sylvanie






Circa 1899
FIRE HALL #1
Felix Street - Between Main & 2nd Streets
Circa 1904
HOSE COMPANY #1
Felix Street - Between Main & 2nd Streets
Circa 1912
HOSE COMPANY #1
109-113 Felix Street
Circa 1918
HOSE COMPANY #1
309-311 South 4th Street

Circa 1899






Circa 1899
FIRE HOUSE #2
10th & Olive Street
Circa 1904
HOSE COMPANY #2
10th & Olive Street
Circa 1912
HOSE COMPANY #2
902 South 10th Street
Circa 1918
HOSE COMPANY #2
902 South 10th Street

Circa 1899




Circa 1904
HOSE COMPANY #3
Corner of 7th & Charles Street
Circa 1906
HOSE COMPANY #3
Corner of 7th & Charles Street
Circa 1912
HOSE COMPANY #3
Corner of 7th & Charles Street
Circa 1912
HOSE COMPANY #3
Corner of 7th & Charles Street

The building no longer exists




Fire Station #41 2

Circa 1899
HOSE STATION #4
3rd & Franklin
Circa 1900
HOSE COMPANY #4
923 North 3rd Street
Circa 1904
HOSE STATION #4
923 North 3rd Street
Circa 1912
HOSE STATION #4
923 North 3rd Street
Circa 1918
HOSE STATION #4
923 North 3rd Street

Photo #2 is a turn of the century postcard photo
The building no longer exist, this location was consumed by Wire Rope




Fire Station #41 Fire Station #42

FIRE STATION #4
3458 Ashland Avenue





1 2

Circa 1889
FIRE HALL #5
9th & Doniphan Streets
Circa 1906
HOSE COMPANY #5
SE Corner of 9th & Doniphan Streets
Circa 1912
HOSE COMPANY #5
SE Corner of 9th & Doniphan Streets
Circa 1912
HOSE COMPANY #5
SE Corner of 9th & Doniphan Streets

Evidently Fire Stations used to also be called Fire Halls






CIRCA 1892
FIRE STATION #6
107 North 18th Street
CIRCA 1906
HOSE COMPANY #6
107 North 18th Street
CIRCA 1912
HOSE COMPANY #6
107 North 18th Street
CIRCA 1918
HOSE COMPANY #6
107 North 18th Street

The article states that in 1892 the house was razed and a small park was created
The small park no longer exists, a house is located at the location now
Fire Station #10 later replaced #6 just a short distance away
Photo #1 - Circa 1892
Photo #2 - Firemen at this station in later years
St Joseph News-Press photos and article






CIRCA:1900
FIRE STATION #10
18th & Felix

Photo was taken in the early 1900's
This station no longer exists




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1906
HOSE COMPANY #6
107 North 18th Street
Circa 1955
FIRE STATION #10 & TRAINING TOWER
18th & Felix

A new fire station #10 was constructed at this location in 1955
The training tower is no longer in use
The old fire station (hose company #6) has been converted into a civilian's garage
Photo #1 - 1955 St Joseph Gazette newspaper article & photo
Photo #3 taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Photo #4 taken in 2013 by David Osgood




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Circa 1900
HOSE HOUSE #7
1007 North 10th Street
Circa 1900
FIRE TRUCK #7
1007 North 10th Street
Circa 1906
HOSE COMPANY #7
1007 North 10th Street
Circa 1912
HOSE COMPANY #7
1007 North 10th Street
Circa 1918
HOSE COMPANY #7
1007 North 10th Street

This station was located on the northeast corner of 10th & Corby
This station later became Hafner's Grocery
A new station was later built on the northwest corner
It is now a private residence
Photo #1 - submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photo #3 - taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Photo #4 - taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Photo #5 - taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Photo #6 - taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Photo #9 - March 21, 1946 St Joseph News Press photograph




1 2

Circa 1892
FIRE HALL #8
Northeast Corner 27th & Penn Street
Circa 1906
HOSE COMPANY #8
Northeast Corner 27th & Penn Street
Circa 1912
HOSE COMPANY #8
Northeast Corner 27th & Penn Street
Circa 1918
HOSE COMPANY #8
Northeast Corner 27th & Penn Street
FIRE TRUCK #8
Northeast Corner 27th & Penn Street

Evidently Fire Stations used to also be called Fire Halls
The station no longer exists




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1892
FIRE STATION #9
23rd & Frederick Avenue
Circa 1906
HOSE COMPANY #9
23rd & Frederick Avenue
Circa 1912
HOSE COMPANY #9
23rd & Frederick Avenue
Circa 1918
HOSE COMPANY #9
23rd & Frederick Avenue

>




CIRCA 1904
HOSE COMPANY #10
NW Corner King Hill & Illinois Avenue
CIRCA 1912
HOSE COMPANY #10
NW Corner King Hill & Illinois Avenue
CIRCA 1918
HOSE COMPANY #10
NW Corner King Hill & Illinois Avenue
Circa 1918
HOSE COMPANY #13
NW Corner King Hill & Illinois Avenue

Photo was taken in the early 1900's




Fire Station

Circa 1912
HOSE COMPANY #14
Southeast corner of 3rd & Dolman
Circa 1918
HOSE COMPANY #14
Southeast corner of 3rd & Dolman
HOSE COMPANY #14
Southeast corner of 3rd & Dolman

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




Circa 1918
HOSE COMPANY #15
3306 Mitchell Avenue





Circa 1918
HOSE COMPANY #16
NE Corner 4th & Sycamore Street





Fire Station #111 Fire Station #112 Fire Station #113 Fire Station #114 Fire Station #115 Fire Station #116

Circa 1904
HOSE COMPANY #11
2329 South 18th Street
Circa 1912
HOSE COMPANY #11
2329 South 18th Street
Circa 1918
HOSE COMPANY #11
2329 South 18th Street
Circa 2013
FIRE STATION #11
2329 South 18th Street

Located on the northeast corner of 18th & Walnut
Photo #3 submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photo #4 taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Photo #5 taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Photo #6 taken in 2013 by David Osgood




Fire Station #121 Fire Station #122 Fire Station #123

Circa 1904
HOSE COMPANY #12
2807 St Joseph Avenue
Circa 1912
HOSE COMPANY #12
2807 St Joseph Avenue
Circa 1918
HOSE COMPANY #12
2807 St Joseph Avenue
Circa 2000
FIRE STATION #12
2807 St Joseph Avenue

The City did a total remodeling of #12
They also made a large extension of Fire Station #12 in order to accommodate more and larger fire trucks

Photo #1 - the original fire station #12
Photo #2 - new addition to station #12
Photo #3 - new addition to station #12
Photo #3 donated by Rodney Keyes






Circa 1900
ST JOSEPH FIRE WAGON & FIREMEN

St Joseph Fire Department personel on fire wagon






Circa 1900
ST JOSEPH FIREMEN

St Joseph Fire Department personel in 1900




Circa 1906
HOSE COMPANY #1
109-112 Felix Street

The building no longer exists




Circa 1906
HOSE COMPANY #2
902 South 10th Street

The building no longer exists




Circa 1906
HOSE COMPANY #5
Corner of 9th & Doniphan Streets

The building no longer exists






CIRCA:1900
FIRE HALL #1
On Felix, Between Main & 2nd Street

Evidently Fire Stations used to be also called Fire Halls






Circa:1900
FIRE HALL #2
10th & Olive Street

Evidently Fire Stations used to also be called Fire Halls




Fire Station

Circa 1910
HORSE DRAWN FIRE WAGON







Circa 1923
ST JOSEPH FIRE EQUIPMENT

This is an Artcrafts Engraving photograph






Circa 1927
Dead Fire Chief and his Successor

Horace G. Regan, Fire Chief had died on Dec 2, 1927
Leo Urbanski became the new St Joseph Fire Chief
Photo - Dec 3, 1927 St Joseph Newspress photo




1 2

Circa 1930
ST JOSEPH FIRE CHIEF CAR

Fred Watts is driving the car
Fire Chief car sitting in front of the Majestic Studio on Edmond Street




Fire Station #71 Fire Station #72 Fire Station #73 Fire Station #74 Fire Station #75

Circa 1939
STATION #7
10th & Corby Street

Located on the northwest corner of 10th & Corby Streets
In 1939, the fire company was moved across the street to a new station
This station replaced the #7 station on the east side of the
Fire Station #7 no longer exists in 2015
It is currently a private business
Photo #1 - submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photo #2 - taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Photo #3 - taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Photo #4 - taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Photo #5 - 1939 SJNP Photo & article about moving across the street






Circa 1951
FIRE CAPTAIN McNAMARA RETIRES

Photo - St Joseph News Press photo & article circa 1951
Captain McNamara retires after 41 years with the Fire Dept






Circa 1958
INDUSTRIAL CITY
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPT

Photo circa 1958
This was a volunteer fire station




1 2 3

FIRE STATION #5
1204 South 11th Street
ST JOSEPH FIRE MUSEUM
1204 South 11th Street

This was fire station #5, the city has converted it into a Fire Museum




Fire Station #5

STATION #5
4810 Frederick Avenue

>


Fire Station #6

STATION #6
3505 Pear

Photo donated by Rodney Keyes






STATION #8
3308 Mitchell Avenue

Photo donated by Rodney Keyes




Fire Station #10

Circa 1906
HOSE COMPANY #10
101 Illinois Avenue
STATION #10
101 Illinois Avenue

Photo donated by Rodney Keyes




Circa 1904
HOOK AND LADDER #1
7th & Charles Street
Circa 1912
HOOK AND LADDER #1
7th & Charles Street
Circa 1918
HOOK AND LADDER #1
7th & Charles Street





Circa 1904
WATER TOWER #1
7th & Charles Street
Circa 1912
WATER TOWER #1
7th & Charles Street
Circa 1918
WATER TOWER #1
7th & Charles Street





PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu