Search St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
NOTE: Does not work for DECEASED CLASSMATES
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind


Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

LISTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER





AERIAL VIEW CHRISTIAN BROTHERS, MOILA AND HOME OF LITTLE WANDERERS

This is an aerial view looking north
Christian Brothers High School, Moila and Home of Little Wanderers are visible
Noyes Boulevard is the street in front of the school that is lined with Elm trees




1 2

AERIAL VIEW LOOKING SOUTHWEST
CIRCA 1940'S

Photo #1 is an overview looking Southwest. It is centered on the Corby Pond area
Photo #2 is a view of the Corby Pond and the Parkway intersection






AERIAL VIEW OF INDUSTRIAL CITY
Circa 1945

Savannah Road zigs and zags up the center of the photo
>
>




1888 VIEW FROM PROSPECT HILL
St Joseph Riverfront

This is a 1888 St Joseph News-Press newspaper photo of the riverfront
This photograph was taken in 1888 when the News-Press was 9 years old
The white one story building (with visible windows) in the center is the Francis Street Depot






AERIAL VIEW OF ST JOSEPH AVENUE
Circa: 1954

This is a 1954 St Joseph-Newspress newspaper photo of St Joseph Avenue
The old car barns are visible on the center left




1 2

20th CENTURY MOTORS
1516-1526 Frederick Avenue

This was 20th Century's used car lot on the south side of Frederick Avenue
At one time there was a small gas station at this location but it had returned to being a used car lot many times since
Photo #1 - remnants of the gas station remain
Photo #2 - 1953 20th Century advertisement






21st & FARAON
Circa: Early 1900's

Early 1900's postcard, looking west from 21st & Faraon




1 2

A & W ROOT BEER DRIVE-IN
4610 N 275 Hwy
(St Joseph Avenue)

4610 N 275 Hwy (St Joseph Avenue)
This is all that remains of A & W Root Beer that was once located on north St Joseph Avenue
Just the remnants of the old A & W Sign. The building is gone
Nothing is left but trees & shrubs remain plus the 2 concrete driveways
Photo #2 - 1981 advertisement




AUSTIN READY COAL COMPANY
806-808 North 3rd Street

Austin Ready proprietor
The building no longer exists, it is now occupied by Wire Rope




AMBASSADOR APARTMENTS & HOTEL
1821 Clay




1 2

Circa 1961
SCOTCHWASH DRIVE IN LAUNDRY
AMERICAN FIRE & SAFETY
725 North 6th Street

The building is currently American Fire & Safety
Remnants of a service station are still visible inside the building
Photo submitted by Dave Martin




ANDREWS HOTEL
1224 North 6th Street






ARMY RESERVE TRAINING CENTER
36th St & Frederick Ave

St Joseph News-Press photo & article about construction of the new Army Reserve Training Center that the Government is wanting to build 600 feet north of 36th & Frederick






ASHLAND CEMETERY
2324 Ashland Avenue

Photo - Entrance to Ashland Cemetery
Photo submitted by Michael Miller




1 2

BANK OF NORTH ST JOSEPH
1928 St Joseph Avenue

This was once the Bank of North St Joseph
Photos are Then and now photos of the same structure
The building still stands and has been occupied with numerous businesses






BARNES AUTO SALVAGE
St Joseph Ave & County Line Rd

Was located at St Joseph Avenue & County Line Road
This was a popular junk yard for many years
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes







DAVID L. BARTLETT,JR HOME
1923 Clay

Dsvid L. Bartlett, Jr. was Secretary-Treasurer of the Bartlett Brothers Land and Loan Company
He later became President of the Bartlett Trust Company
Photo - Newspaper photo and article about the house




Beadnall Electric

BEADNALL ELECTRIC
HOUSE OF FINS
315 North 17th Street

Located at 315 North 17th Street
At one time Beadnall Electric was located here
It later was the House of Fins owned by Mr Green Proprietor
Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes




Beaty 391 Beaty 392

BEATY HY-KLAS No. 39
19th & Jules

Beaty Hy-Klas Store No.39 was located at 19th & Jules
The store was purchased by one of the Rickles in the '80s
The store remained open for several years until it finally closed for good when the discount grocery warehouses came to town
Photo #1 was taken in 1938
Photo #2 was submitted By Terry McGinnis 03/2008




1 2

BELLY OF THE WHALE
A UNIQUE 1960's COFFEE HOUSE
7th & Francis
10th & ROBIDOUX

The Belly of the Whale was first located in the basement of the Christ Episcopal Church at 7th and Francis Street

Larry Young was a singer in a folk trio called The Chantymen

The trio sang on The Belly of the Whale's opening night

November 22,1963, the day President Kennedy was assassinated

The group sang at the Belly Of The Whale five or six times

All three were students at St. Joseph Junior College at the time

College Art Professor, Fred Aas, was one the people that got the coffeehouse started

There were three or four other groups that sang that night as well as some poets that read some of their recent works. And one fellow performed on his bongo drums

After opening night, The Belly of the Whale was relocated to another basement room on the south side of the same Episcopal church. There was a sign and an access door off Francis Street

The song "Blow the Candle Out" is the song that they opened with at The Belly of the Whale

The Belly of the Whale was later relocated to Friendship Hall at 10th & ROBIDOUX

The Belly Of The Whale was a 3 year old idea of several St Joseph Churches and was undenominational in form

It was open on Friday nights to all college students for a donation of 50 cents

Like other coffee houses, the Belly of the Whale had an atmosphere all of it's own that was set by candlelight, burlap covered tables, grotesque abstractions painted on canvas wall hangings and pieces of modern art and sculptures

Within a couple minutes of opening at 8:30 pm,the college students began forming in small groups to sing folk songs, play cards or chess, or develope a controversial conversation with others

This unique coffee shop gave young adults the opportunity to express themselves

Photo #1 - November 1966 St Joseph Gazette newpaper photo
Photo #2 - Photo of Larry Young
Some of the above information was provided by Larry Young






BEE WAYNES BAKERY
22nd & FELIX




1 2 3

BENNY WITT BAKERY
1802 St Joseph Avenue

Photo #1 - Circa 1911
Photo #2 - Circa 1911
Photo #3 - Circa 2011




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

BIRD-WING COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT
Waterworks Road

Bird Wing Commercial Aircraft Corp. was the first of three St Joseph aircraft companies that opened it's doors in 1927.
Bird Wing built planes and gliders. Two other companies, Barling Aircraft Co. and Campbell Aircraft Co. would build planes in St. Joseph for a few years.
Bird Wing manufactured aircraft in the late 1920's and early 1930's
Was located where the old Roscrans field once was, approximately where the St Joseph Casino is now
It's airfield ran parallel to the Waterworks Road, which is visible in one of the above photos
In 1927 the Bird Wing Aircraft Corp. built planes here, but went out of business in the depression.




Brookdale Pharmacy1 Frugers Brookdale Pharmacy2

BROOKDALE PHARMACY
2847 JULES ST

Located on the northwest corner of 29th & Jules Street
This structure once housed Brookdale drug store which had a great soda fountain, wire chairs and glass top tables
The store was owned and operated by Henry Fuger
After the drug store was sold, it was a hair salon
2008 Photo submitted by Terry McGinnis
2010 Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






BROOKDALE PRESBYTERIAN
3015 Felix Street

Photo submitted by Terry McGinnis






BUSINESS MACHINES & EQUIPMENT
2110 Jules Street

Located at 2110 Jules Street
In business since 1952
Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

CAMP GEIGER
K Highway & I-229 Intersection

If you are a Boy Scout or Scout Leader, we think you should consider Camp Geiger as the place for your summer camp experience.
We know it will take little to convince Scout units in the Pony Express Council to come to Camp Geiger.
They have been doing so - willingly and enthusiastically - for years.
They know that Camp Geiger always meets or exceeds the expectations of their Scouts, leaders and parents.
Photo #1 - 1936 new building for Camp Geiger
Photo #2 - 1956 new building for Camp Geiger
Photos #6-16 submitted by David Osgood
Photos #17-21 Submitted by David Osgood




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

CANDY CANE LANE

Candy Cane lane covered both sides of Eugene Field Street running from 6th Ave to Moss Street
In 1958, folks living in one area of town joined a community Christmas decorating plan
By 1960, the plan had spread to all 45 families who lived in the 4 city block area
The motif (plan) was 48 spot-lighted 6 foot candy canes which uniformly lined both sides of the street
Individual home deoorations varied from Nativity Scenes, Fairyland characters, Christmas Trees, a Candy Cane Kitchen and many, many Santas and Reindeer

Also there was 2 huge Christmas trees over 30 feet high covered with lights and decorations
Under these trees on special nights, Christmas carols were sung and parties given for the kiddies of the neighborhood

All the lights were turned on uniformly at 5:30 pm and turned off at 10:39 pm

Motorists entered at 22nd & 6th Avenue and departed at Moss Street which leads back to 22nd Street
It was estimated that more than 50,000 automobiles passed down Candy Cane Lane during the season
Of course many were repeats. At the peak, cars were bumper to bumper, in 2 lanes, drivers were waiting to turn down the avenue were lined up for 15 city blocks
One way traffic was enforced and 4 traffic officers were assigned to the area

It was a sight to see, a constant line of cars was a common occurrance
Candy Cane Lane would usually be lit up from mid-November until as late as New Years day
In 2012, only a few houses participated in the event
Photo #6 was taken in 1962




Carson Pharmacy1 Carson Pharmacy2

CARSON PHARMACY
1031 Powell St

Check out the spitoon on the floor in photo #2
Photo #1 submitted by Rodney Keyes




Co-Cathederal

CATHEDERAL CATHOLIC CHURCH
North 10th St






CATHOLIC ORPHANAGE
North 36th Street

Once this was John James Tootle country home
Photo - 1959 St Joseph News-Press newspaper article




1 2

CB&Q LOCO COMING AROUND THE BLUFFS
Before MacArthur Drive was created

This photo was taken before WWII and before MacArthur Drive existed
The bluffs were cut back in order to create MacArthur Drive
Photo #2 is the St Joseph News-Press article explaining photo #1






CENTURY TOWERS APARTMENTS
627 North 25th Street






CLAY HILL APARTMENTS
1816 Clay Street

1935 Photo of the Clay Hill Apartments located at 1816 Clay Street






COLONEL SANDERS
KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN
22nd & Francis
St Joseph Avenue & Middleton
206 South Belt Highway

The old original Kentucky Fried Chicken had 3 locations
22nd & Francis, St Joseph Avenue & Middleton and 206 South Belt Highway
When Pasquales Pizzaria at 206 South Belt closed down, it became a Kentucky Fried Chicken






CONNER LUMBER COMPANY
Highland Avenue

The Conner Lumber Company was located on Highland Avenue, east of St Joseph Avenue
The lumber company is no longer in business
Photo - taken on Aug 9, 2013




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1886
CONSER LAUNDRY
1714 Buchanan
PEARL NUWAY DRY CLEANERS
1516 St Joseph Avenue

Conser Laundry was a large commercial laundry
Harold M. Carlton incorporated Conser Laundry on June 12, 1897
Conser Laundry was located on the southeast corner of 18th & Buchanan Avenue
In 1976, William Albrecht Beasley owned Conser and Pearl Nuway
Both companies are no longer in business
In 2012, the Conser site on St Joseph Aveune is a vacant lot

Photo #1 - Conser Laundry located at 18th & Buchanan Avenue
Photo #2 - Advertisement for Conser & Pearl Nuway
Photo #3 - Pearl Nuway Dry Cleaners was located at 1516 St Joseph Avenue
Photo #4 - Conser Laundry in horse & buggy days
Photo #5 - Conser's 79th anniversary advertisement
Photo #6 - 1949 St Joseph News Press advertisement







Circa 1950
COTRELL FURNACE COMPANY
415 North 13th Street




Nabisco1 Nabisco2

CRACKER HOUSE
FRANK SOMMER HOUSE
914 Main Street

Frank Sommer invented the saltine cracker in the late 1800's
This was his house and is currently being considered for preservation
The Cracker House Project is a certified not-for-profit organization
Their goal is to save this piece of historic Main Street in St Joseph MO
Their Mission is to restore, preserve, educate and share St Joseph MO history through its architecture
Photo #1: Frank Sommer Home at 914 Main, known as the Cracker House
Photo #2: 1985 photo of the Frank Sommer home at 914 Main




CRANE'S DEPARTMENT STORE
1006-1008 North 3rd

Maurice Edwin Crane - Proprietor
Known to be in operation 1915-1920's




1 2 3 4 5

CRIPE BAKING COMPANY
RAINBO BREAD COMPANY
BREADEAUX PIZZA
2300 Frederick Avenue

Cripe Baking Company originally built the structure at 23rd & Frederick Avenue
A. J. Cripe had operated bakeries in Garnett, Hutchison and St. Joseph, Mo
He had been in the baking business his entire life
He sold his St. Joseph plant in 1927
RAINBO BREAD COMPANY OF ST. JOSEPH was formed on 11/01/1927 by C T CORPORATION SYSTEM
Rainbo Bakery occupied the building after Cripe closed down
For many years, Rainbo Bread served St Joseph with fresh bread on a daily basis
After Rainbo Bread closed, Breadeaux Pizza occupied the building

Photo #1 - Cripe Bakery - circa: Unknown
Photo #2 - A Rainbo Bread truck
Photo #3 - A 1966 photo of the inside of the bakery
Photo #4 - A Rainbo bread wrapper
Photo #5 - Rainbo advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Circa 1920's
DELMARK TIRE COMPANY
PACKARD DEALERSHIP
FIRESTONE & GENERAL TIRES
1700 Frederick Avenue

Delmark Tire is still in business at this location
This once was a Packard Automobile Dealership
It also both sold Firestone & General Tires
Jim Coffey was president in the 1940's-1950's
Mr Coffey relocated to St. Louis in 1955
They no longer sell gasoline and some building modifications have been made
Photo #1 - Delmark Tire as it looked in the 1920's
Photos #2-4 as the building looks currently

I received these photos & descriptions from Bob Turpin (his uncle once owned it):

Photo #5 - April 1947 News-Press article Packard sales at 1700 Frederick
Photo #6 - 1951 clipping shows Jim Coffey as president of the Packard dealership
Photo #7 - 1978 Jim Coffey obituary; Packard dealership and General Tire
Photo #8 - 1952 clipping about an elephant & the Packard dealership
Photo #9 - WWII clipping indicating Jim Coffey was selling Firestone tires







DORIS BEAUTY LAND
1604 St Joseph Avenue

Was located at 1604 St Joseph Avenue
Doris Beauty Land is no longer in business
Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

DUG CUT & DUG CUT BRIDGE
Paris Avenue

Dug Cut began at Chestnut and Huntoon Roads, and ran southeast, ending at Prospect and Augusta Streets

The name was changed to Paris Avenue many years ago but to the public it will always be known as Dug Cut and probably always will be

I heard rumors years ago that the Jesse James gang used to ride through this pass on his way to his hide-outs in the caves along the Missouri River

The old bridge from Prospect to Wyeth hill is gone now. In 1973, Interstate 229 replaced the most of the area

You now have to go several blocks out of the way & under I-229 to get to the Wyeth Hill park

When Arthur Meers was mayor, he announced plans of the city to improve the scenic roadway through the cut

The pictures that were taken from below the bridge leads to the overlook in Huston Wyeth Park. The Cut which slices through a section of Prospect Hill is given a military background by popular tradition

But it was actually dug to provide an easier route between the city and the truck farms in the French bottoms

Most of the latter were cut off from this access to the city by the Missouri River's channel change in 1952. The paving of Chestnut Street eliminated practical use of the cut years ago

Both intersections are still there, the street itself (officially known as Paris Avenue) is long gone, replaced by I-229

Photo #1 - 1945 view of Dug Cut
Photo #2 - Dug Cut as viewed from the bridge at Rosine Street
Photo #3 - Historic dug cut as it appeared in May 1961
Photo #4 - July 1956 photo of the Dug Cut bridge that led to Wyeth Park
Photo #5 - Newspaper photo & information about the Dug Cut bridge
Photo #7 - Newspaper photo & information about repairing Dug Cut Bridge
Photo #8 - photo of when I-229 construction began in 1973
Photo #9 - Newspaper photo of bridge removal in 1973
Photo #10 - Old map showing location of Dug Cut roadway
Photo #1, circa 1945, submitted by Rick Stafford
The photo was given to him by Louise Miller who lived near by




Dyers Tavern

DYERS TAVERN
JIM'S PLACE
22nd & Francis

Located on the south side of Francis Street, between 22nd & 21st Streets
Originally Dyers Tavern, later became Jim's Place owned and operated by the late Jim Kibble
Jim had the best bisquits and gravy in town and his home cooked meals were great
After being closed for a few years, it became a Mexican Resturant for a short while, and recently in 2008 is now called PJ's Place
2008 Photo submitted by Terry McGinnis






EAST SIDE AIRFIELD
North of old US36

This was a private airfield that was located north of Flinchpaugh's on old US Highway 36 (Frederick Avenue)






Circa 1980
FANTASTIC SAMS HAIRCUTTERS
2021 North 36th Street

Photo - 1980 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2

FELIX RICH HARDWARE & TIN SHOP
1107 North 3rd Street

This structure was built in 1906
As seen in photo #1, it was getting a bit dilapidated, faded and run down looking
Photo #2 is a current photo, it appears someone has restored the building front to a beautiful condition. It's nice to see that someone cares to preserve this building






Circa 1895
ST JOSEPH'S FIRST CITY HOSPITAL
Robidoux & Bellevue

In 1895, this was the first city hospital in St Joseph




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1928
FLEEMAN FUNERAL HOME
Circa 1939
FLEEMAN & SON MORTUARY
Circa 1947
MEIERHOFFER-FLEEMAN FUNERAL HOME
Circa 2001
MEIERHOFFER FUNERAL HOME & CREMATORY
1946 Colhoun Street

In 1894, Reinhold Meierhoffer and R.A. Pegan began a funeral home at the corner of 9th and Felix.
In 1923, Walter Meierhoffer moved the business to 13th and Faraon
In 1928, the Fleeman Funeral Home, which had been started by William J, Fleeman in 1912 built this building.
In January of 1947, the newly merged Melrhoffer-Fleeman firm occupied this building.
The Meierhoffers were Swiss who had come to this country in 1848, landing in New Orleans and first settling in the Boonville area of Missouri.
Reinholds elder brother, George was a coopersmith who established his business at 5th and Sycamore in 1875.
In 1894, Reinhold Meierhoffer, created Meierhoffer Undertaking Co
In 1947, Walter Meierhoffer, Sr. constructed a second facility in St. Joseph and merged with Fleeman & Son Mortuary
It then became Meierhoffer-Fleeman Funeral Home
The structure at this address was torn down and is currently an empty lot
In 2001, the Meierhoffer Family purchased St. Joseph Memorial Park at 5005 Frederick Avenue
  • Photo #1 - Fleeman Funeral Home ambulance
  • Photo #2 - submitted by David Kneib
  • Photo #3 - GettyImages Photo by David Kaup
  • Photo #7 - 1967 News Press Advertisement
  • Photo #8 - 1950 News Press Advertisement






  • FLINCHPAUGH'S PET SHOP
    1202 Frederick Avenue

    The structure is gone, a parking lot only remains




    1 2 3 4

    Circa 1861
    FORT SMITH
    Circa 2012
    FORT SMITH CITY PARK
    North of St Joseph

    Fort Smith is situated slightly to the north and west of St. Joseph, Missouri
    The fort was constructed in 1861 by the Union troops under Colonel Smith who commanded troops of the 16th and 52nd Illinois infantry
    In 2012, the city restored the fort and it is now a city park called Fort Smith Park

    Photo #1 - 1800's drawing
    Photo #2 - 1800's drawing
    Photo #3 - 2012 restoration process of the fort
    Photo #4 - 2012 replica canon overlooking the city





    FORT SMITH PARK SECTION

    NEW SECTION CREATED 08/04/2013





    FRED HENZE SHOE SHOP
    1602 St Joseph Avenue

    Located at 1602 St Joseph Avenue
    Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes






    FREDERICK AVENUE
    11th Street to 12th Street

    Businesses between 11th & 12th on the north side of Frederick Avenue
    Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes






    FREED SLAVE HOUSE
    Circa: 1887
    17th & Highland Avenue

    This was a house for freed slaves after the Civil War
    It was located at 17th & Highland




    1 2

    Circa 1912
    FREIHOIER LUMBER COMPANY
    C.H.NOLD LUMBER COMPANY
    REED LUMBER COMPANY
    1202-1224 North 4th Street

    In 1912, Freihoier Lumber Company was sold to C.H. Lumber Company
    C.H. Lumber was later sold to Reed Lumber Company
    The structure still remains on the lot






    GEORGE REINERT MEAT MARKET
    2801 St Joseph Avenue




    GILPIN HARDWARE & METAL WORKS
    1208 North 3rd Street






    GOETZ HOME
    2603 Francis

    Owners of Goetz Brewery home






    Circa 1950
    GOETZ SOFTBALL STADIUM
    5th Avenue & 12th Street

    Circa: 1950
    In the background you can see the old 5th Avenue bridge that crossed over the railroad tracks
    The railroad tracks and the bridge are now gone




    1 2 3 4 5 6

    Gold-N-Glaze Donuts
    1823-1825 Frederick

    St Joseph's oldest, most popular and still operating donut shop

    They are still in business in 2014 but with a temporary closing for remodeling

    In late 2014, the current owners & operators: Mr & Mrs Robert (Bob) Sullwold sold the business and retired

    Kendall Randolph has purchased the Gold-N-Glaze building, the recipes and the name

    Mr Randolph is doing a total restoration of the structure, even the neon sign

    He is hoping to re-open in early 2015 as Gold-N-Glaze Donuts and Coffee Shop

    Photos #4,5 and 6 were taken the last day they were open in 2014






    GOLL's Hy-Klas Grocery
    27th & Jules Street

    Located on the north side of Jules Street, between 27th & 28th Streets. I can remember going inside this store a few times
    2008 Photo submitted by Terry McGinnis




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7

    GRAND AVENUE BRIDGE
    Grand Ave & St Joseph Ave

    Old photos of the Grand Avenue bridge
    The railroad tracks below are now gone along with the bridge
    The bridge was deemed unsafe and it was removed






    Circa 1971
    GULF GAS STATION
    4th & Franklin Streets

    4th & Franklin Streets
    Photo taken in 1971
    Photo submitted by Rick Stafford






    HARRY McGUIRE BARBER SHOP
    28th & Jules Street

    Located on the southwest corner of 28th & Jules






    HATFIELD HARDWARE
    HATFIELD ANTIQUE MALL
    2028 Frederick Avenue

    At one time, this was the largest and most popular hardware & sporting goods store in town
    Hatfield's Hardware was established at the turn of the 20th century by Roy C. Hatfield
    Hatfield's Hardware started out selling coal, feed, hardware and a few shotguns and pistols
    By the mid 1900's, they sold about everything from guns, boats, boat motors, motorcycles, hardware and even had a cafe attached to the east side of the building that served a great breakfast and lunch
    The shop will officially close on Sept. 1, 2013 with a two-day gun and sporting goods auction on Sept. 15-16, followed by an Antique Auction later in the winter
    For the past 20 years, the 8000 square foot building has been an antique mall




    1 2 3 4

    Circa 1881
    HECKEL'S BENEVOLENT HOME
    2nd & Michel

    Brooke Hickman submitted the following information:

    Heckel Benevolent Home - N. 2nd & Michel - where Wire Rope is now

    Mathias Heckel was my Great Grandfather

    He also owned and published a German newspaper, the St. Joseph Volksblatt - People's Voice

    My grandfather delivered papers on a pony to subscribers in the North End

    Mathias also had part interest in the German American Bank

    He also ran a Beer Garten where the apartment house is just south of the Dollar Store on St. Joseph Avenue

    Fritz was part of the entertainment at Mathias' beer garten - New Ulm Park on St. Joe Avenue.
    My grandfather, George, is behind the wheel
    He sponsored a bare-knuckles fight between Fitzsimmons and someone at the Garten

    He had a live bear and monkey there all the time

    When World War 1 broke out, Mathias moved his family out of St. Joseph city limits to Blackwell Road

    His move was due to anti-German sentiments - seriously!

    When the war was over they moved back to St. Joseph and eventually lived on Hall Street

    Photo #1 - Circa: 1881 The structure no longer exists
    Photo #2 - Circa: 1906 Mathias Heckel and family in his 1905 Cadillac (note monkey by boy)
    Photo #3 - Heckel's Benevolent Home
    Photo #4 - Inside the home






    HEUMADER ROCK QUARRY
    Unknown Location






    HIGHLAND MEADOWS CAVES
    Waterworks Road

    Back in 1959, Earl Smith and I were exploring the Bluffs on Waterworks Road and we came upon these caves - They don't go back very far
    Rumor was that the James gang used to hide in them






    HIRTER BROTHERS FEED STORE
    Ashland Avenue & Karnes Road

    This feed store & the grocery store next to it was torn down and Commerce Bank built a large bank on the land




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8


    Circa 1856
    Sidenfaden Funeral Home
    Circa 1924
    Sidenfaden Funeral Home
    Union Street Square
    1802 Union

    This building was built in 1924 by the H.O. Sidenfaden Funeral Home.
    H.O. Sidenfaden was the son of William who had been a mortician in the city as early as the 1880s.
    Before moving to this location, Sidenfadens Funeral Home was at the northeast corner of 11th and Frederick.
    This mortuary was bought out by another firm and was moved from this building in 1975.
    The current owners have converted it into an office building.
    No longer in business at this address
    Combined with Heaton-Bowman to become Heaton-Bowman-Smith & Sidenfaden now located at 3609 Frederick Avenue






    HODSON CLEANERS
    1606 Frederick Avenue
    RAGDON
    1604 Frederick Avenue






    HOME FOR LITTLE WANDERERS
    THE NOYES HOME FOR CHILDREN
    801 North Noyes Boulevard

    Built as an orphanage by Charles and Sarepta Noyes in 1894
    The red brick mansion at 801 N. Noyes Boulevard has provided almost 120 continuous years of shelter to area youngsters
    Much more than an orphanage, "The Home for Little Wanderers", known today as "The Noyes Home for Children", was and still is a safe haven for youngsters in crisis. Some are homeless, some alienated from their parents
    All are welcome, regardless of their ability to pay




    1 2 3 4 5 6

    Huston Wyeth Estate
    30th-34th & Frederick

    This was once the Huston Wyeth Estate that laid north of Frederick Avenue
    The mansion was built in 1888
    The estate had tall black wrought iron fencing all along Frederick Avenue for several blocks
    Most of the estate is now gone, it was replaced with assorted office buildings
    The estate covered an area of about 4 blocks long by 2 blocks deep
    The mansion was totally remodeled and still remains in the rear area and has been used for various businesses
    Doctors, lawyers, Water Company and other businesses also reside in several buildings that were constructed on the Wyeth property
    As of August 2014, the Huston Wyeth Mansion is currently the headquarters for American Business & Technology University






    Circa 1958
    INDUSTRIAL CITY FIRE STATION

    >




    INTERSTATE I-29 Construction
    Frederick Avenue

    Looking south from Frederick
    I-29 nearing completion at Frederick Avenue connecting St Joseph to Kansas City




    1 2

    INTERSTATE I-229 CONSTRUCTION
    NORTH OF FELIX

    Photo #1 - I-229 Construction around Poulin Street in North St Joseph
    Photo #2 - I-229 Construction around MacArthur Drive




    1 2

    Circa Early 1900's
    J. J. Tootle's Cloverly Farm
    3529 Frederick Avenue

    Photo circa: early 1900's
    This mansion was one of the J. J. Tootle homes in the early 1900's
    The mansion no longer exists
    Bishop LeBlond High School is located on the property






    J. M. TUSCHICK'S ICE CREAM SHOP
    3rd & Franklin Streets

    The building no longer exits, currently it is a vacant lot
    Photo submitted by granddaughter, Sandi Mueller Baker




    1 2 3

    JACOB GEIGER MANSION
    UNITED MISSOURI BANK
    2501 Frederick Avenue

    Located at 2501 Frederick Avenue, this was originally the Jacob Geiger Mansion
    United Missouri Bank purchased the property and turned it into a bank
    In 2011, United Missouri Bank gave the building to the city of St Joseph
    The city had planned on turning the building into a fire station but it was cancelled






    JANE WYMAN'S BIRTHPLACE
    1209 North 26th Street

    Childhood home of movie actress Jane Wyman




    1 2 3

    Circa 1890
    J. W. McALISTER MANSION
    Circa 1906
    A. J. AUGUST MANSION
    Circa 1941
    ST JOSEPH MUSEUM
    105 North 19th Street

    This mansion is located on the southeast corner of 19th & Felix

    Built in 1890, this was the J. W. McAlister Mansion located at 105 North 19th Street

    J. W. McAlister, a prominent St Joseph banker, lived in this mansion until 1903

    It was purchased in 1906 by A. J. August
    A. J. August was the owner of the A. J. August Clothing Company

    A. J. August lived in this mansion until his death in 1940

    The mansion was bequeathed to the St Joseph Museum in 1941

    The mansion served as St Joseph Museum from 1941 to 1947

    In 1947, due to insufficient space, the St Joseph Museum was moved to the
    Wyeth-Tootle Mansion at 11th & Charles




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

    KFEQ-TV STATION
    KQTV STATION
    4000 Faraon

    Remember the Captain Video show back in the 1950's?

    The station first signed on the air on September 27, 1953 as KFEQ-TV
    It was founded by local businessman Barton Pitts, owner of local radio station KFEQ
    The station originally operated as a primary CBS affiliate
    In 1953, a 750 foot tall steel transmission tower was constructed to house the station's transmitter
    The tower become landmark in the city of Saint Joseph
    In preparation for the digital television transition, on January 19, 2009, the KQTV tower was partially truncated in height to 587 feet
    On June 1, 1967, KFEQ-TV became an exclusive ABC affiliate
    The station's call letters were changed to KQTV in 1969

    Photo #1 - Old 1950's advertisement showing TV schedule
    Photo #2 - Old advertisement
    Photo #3 - Let's Dance, a televised dancing program in KFEQ studio
    Photo #4 - Old advertisement
    Photo #5 - September 11, 1953 - KFEQ's 750 foot tower is completed
    Photo #6 - 1953 photo of the KFEQ TV studio
    Photo #7 - Admission ticket to Let's Dance
    Photo #8 - Bill Foster hosting Let's Dance
    Photo #9 - The Grace Crawford show
    Photo #10 - The KFEQ-TV tower at it's original height
    Photo #11 - September 27, 1953




    1 2 3

    K-HIGHWAY AUTO SALVAGE
    K Highway


    This was once the largest salvage yard in the area
    It was located on the south side of K Highway north of St Joseph Avenue
    It was owned and operated by the Burkeybile family






    KRUG PARK FLOWER SHOP
    AND GREEN HOUSES
    1506 Karnes Road

    Was located at the Krug Park entrance at 1506 Karnes Road
    Jack & Shirley Smith - Owners
    No longer exists




    LA BOUFF HARDWARE
    2604 St Joseph Avenue






    LAWHON CONSTRUCTION
    519 Main Street

    Some buildings that Lawhon built in St Joseph




    Pilgram's Dentist Office1 Pilgram's Dentist Office2 Pilgram's Dentist Office3 Pilgram's Dentist Office4 Pilgram's Dentist Office5

    LAWRENCE PILGRAM DENTISTRY
    2403 Frederick Avenue

    Located at 2403 Frederick Avenue, this building once housed Dr. Lawrence Pilgram's Dentist Office
    Dr. Pilgram was there from 1973 thru August of 1985
    The dentists who took over the location after Dr. Pilgram were a young couple named Nelson
    Mrs. Nelson may have been the daughter of Dr. Larry Jones, who owned the entire building
    The Nelsons remodeled the building, knocking out a couple of walls, making it all part of the 2401 address complex
    Dr. Jones remained active there for a few years, finally turning the whole building over to the Nelsons
    The owner prior to Dr. Pilgram was Dr. Peterson, a child specialist
    Photo #1: 2008 photo submitted by Terry McGinnis




    1 2

    LEHR CONSTRUCTION
    2115 Frederick Avenue

    Lehr Construction is occupying the old Uptown Theater building




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

    LOVERS LANE
    18th & Grand to Ashland Avenue

    Lovers Lane was once a dirt country road where lovers parked carriages
    It became a paved road in 1914
    It is now one of the most traveled & beautiful 2 lane streets in town
    Many beautiful old houses still line Lovers Lane
    Lovers Lane runs from 18th & Grand Avenue to Ashland Avenue where it ends
    Lovers Lane begins with a 1600 address and ends at a 3100 address
    Current photos will be placed here in the future (hopefully)

    Photo #1 - Penny postcard with Eugene Field's Poem of St Jo
    Photo #2 - Back when Lovers Lane was just a dirt road in the country, lovers used it to park in buggies
    Photo #3 - A much larger photo of #2
    Photo #4 - Color photo
    Photo #5 - Eugene Field on Lovers Lane
    photo #6 - Very old postcard
    Photo #8 - Lovers Lane sign submitted by lovers Lane Association in 2002
    Photo #9 - The Lovers Lane Poem by Eugene Field
    Photo #10 - 2013 photo of Lovers Lane plaque taken by David Osgood
    Photo #11 - old postcard - circa: 1910
    Photo #12 - When it was a dirt road
    Photo #13 - Brick mansion on Lovers Lane
    Photo #14 - Lovers Lane sign submitted by lovers Lane Association in 2002
    Photo #15 - Large photo, same shot as #2 but much larger
    Photo #16 - 1953 Lover's Lane






    MAGNER HARLEY-DAVIDSON
    1819 Frederick Avenue




    Maple's Tea Room1 Maple's Tea Room2

    MAPLE'S TEA ROOM
    SANSONE FLORAL
    2702 Ashland Avenue

    Maple's Tea room
    Located on the Northwest corner of Gene Field & Ashland Ave
    Currently it is Sansone flower shop




    1 2 3 4 5 6

    ST JOSEPH MARINA
    1514 Ellinger Road
    THE BOATHOUSE
    4072 River Road
    Circa 1994
    SUNSET GRILLE
    4072 River Road
    Via Waterworks Road

    Originally this was the Marina Club
    It later became the Boathouse and Rod Warford ran it
    It flooded in July 1993
    In February 1994, Larry Buck and John Sutherland opened it as the Sunset Grill
    Yari Kosola ran it for about 2-3 years after Larry Buck
    The Sunset Grille is no longer in business

    Photo #1 - The Marina Club
    Photo #2 - Larry Buck seating people in his newly opened restaurant
    Photo #3 - The Boathouse flooded in July 1993
    Photo #4 - The Boathouse interior after the 1993 flood
    Photo #5 - Page 1 of the Marina menu
    Photo #6 - Page 2 of the Marina menu






    Circa 1939
    MAXWELL HOUSE
    Amazonia Road & Maxwell Road




    MEL'S HARDWARE
    1907 Frederick Avenue




    1 2 3

    MEMORIAL HOME
    Main & Poulin

    The Memorial Home still stands at the northwest corner of Main and Poulin Streets




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

    Circa 1859
    M. K. GOETZ BREWERY
    PEARL BREWERY
    6th & ALBEMARLE

    The Goetz Brewery was located on Sixth Street between Lincoln and Albemarle

    Michael Karl Goetz, a native of Germany, started the brewery in 1858. His family continued the prosperous company in St Joseph until 1960, when they sold it to Pearl Brewing of San Antonio

    The St. Joseph plant focused on production of Goetz's popular Country Club Malt Liquor. When San Antonio was able to produce the malt liquor, it pretty much ensured the plant would be closing down

    Dick DeShon, a local beer enthusiast who married into the Goetz family, said Pearl Brewing had offered the family a deal they couldn't refuse in a time when big-time beer makers were beginning to saturate the market

    The building sat empty for many years, at one point,a child playing on the roof fell through and the building was deemed unsafe

    Many jobs were lost when it closed. It was a great loss for the city

    Miss Snowcap promoted Goetz Brewery products in television commercials back in 1950's

    The Missouri Department of Natural Resources requested the building to be demolished because of the high level of asbestos in the empty structure

    The brewery was demolished in 1987 costing Pearl Brewery at least $250,000 mainly due to the cost of removing the asbestos

    The property has been a large empty field now for many years

    Photo #1 - Postcard
    Photo #2 - Old photo
    Photo #3 - color photo
    Photo #4 - Delivery truck
    Photo #5 - 2013 photo
    Photo #6 - 2013 photo
    Photo #7 - Miss Snowcap
    Photo #8 - beer tray
    Photo #9 - beer tray
    Photo #10 - 1934 Photo
    Photo #11 - matchbooks
    Photo #12 - Color photo
    Photo #13 - Goetz containers
    Photo #14 - 1949 Calandar
    Photo #15 - can opener
    Photo #16 - Old 6 pack box
    Photo #17 - 1987 photo
    Photo #18 - Goetz cans
    Photo #19 - 1930's sales team
    Photo #20 - 1934 employees
    Photo #21 - advertisement
    Photo #22 - 1965 Pearl
    Photo #23 - Inside views
    Photo #24 - Inside photo
    Photo #25 - brochures
    Photo #26 - Pearl beer
    Photo #27 - beer case
    Photo #28 - 1911 adv
    Photo #29 - 1950's photo
    Photo #30 - smoke stack
    Photo #31 - Beer
    Photo #32 - 1903 Stock
    Photo #33 - 1915 photo
    Photo #34 - 1920's photo
    Photo #35 - 1915 photo
    Photo #36 - Miss Snowcap
    Photo #37 - 1967 Advertisement







    MILLER HOUSE
    3003 Ashland Ave

    The Isaac Miller House, also known as the Miller House, is a Classical Revival-style house in St. Joseph, Missouri, built in 1859
    It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Issac Miller House






    MINNIE HILL BEAUTY SHOP
    MILLER HILL BARBER SHOP
    HILL BEAUTY SHOP
    2102 Francis Street

    Located at 2102 Francis Street
    During 1939-1946 it was the Minnie Hill Beauty Shop
    In 1947-49 it is listed as the Miller Hill Barber Shop
    In 1950 phone book listed it as the Hill Beauty Shop
    The building was owned by Charles Mitchell in 1953-55
    Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes






    MISSOURI P.E.O. HOME
    2912 Frederick Avenue






    MOILA GOLF CLUB
    Circa 1950
    Noyes Blvd & Union




    Morehead Brick

    MOREHEAD BRICK & TILE
    11th & 5th Avenue

    Producers of high grade face brick, common brick and tile
    No longer in business




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

    Circa 1851
    MOUNT MORA CEMETERY
    824 Mount Mora

    St Joseph's oldest cemetery, dating back to 1851
    Photo #7 is the Krug Masoleum






    MOUNT OLIVET CEMETERY
    2600 Lovers Lane




    1 2

    MR BEE HARDWARE
    MODERN CLEANERS
    FREDERICK AVE CLEANERS
    2506 Frederick Avenue

    Started out as a large hardware store, then a music store and finally 2 laundry/dry cleaners




    1 2 3 4 5

    MUELLER HOT HOUSES
    Karnes Road

    In operation from 1912 to 2004 when the hot houses were razed




    1 2

    Circa 1940
    MYERS WATSON FLORIST & GREENHOUSE
    1004 North 22nd Street
    (22nd & Jones Street)

    Myers Watson was at this location for since 1940
    They razed the old original building and had this new building constructed
    The florist shop closed some years ago and has been sitting empty
    A new donut shop had considered opening in this building in 2015 but it never happened






    Norris Pharmacy #1
    Chet's Barber Shop
    1605 Frederick

    In 1953, this was listed as Norris Pharmacy #1
    In later years, it became Chet's Barber Shop




    Frederick Ave 26th

    NORRIS DRUG
    KENNEDY GROCERY
    DR MOTHERSHEAD
    2601-2605 Frederick Avenue

    Left to right: Norris Drug, Kennedy Grocery, Dr Mothershead
    None are still in business
    Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes




    1 2

    NOYES BOULEVARD

    Photo #1 is a 1917 photo of Noyes Boulevard
    This photo may be have taken around the Moila area
    Photo #2 is a postcard showing Noyes Boulevard
    It appears to be the Messanie & Noyes intersection




    1 2 3 4

    NOYES HOSPITAL
    MO METHODIST NURSES HOME
    ANCHOR SERUM
    FREDERICK TOWERS
    24th & Frederick Ave


    This was originally Noyes Hospital
    Noyes Hospital was located at 24th & Frederick Ave
    In 1953 it was listed as Missouri Methodist Hospital Nurses Home
    Anchor Serum aquired the building in 1955
    Anchor Serum moved their operation to Belt & Gene Field
    It is now called Frederick Towers, it houses many business offices

    Photo #1: Noyes Hospital
    Photo #2: Frederick Towers
    Photo #3: October 1955 Newspaper article about Anchor Serum aquiring Noyes Hospital
    Photo #4: 1917 photo of Noyes Hospital






    Circa 1875
    HENRY NUNNINGS BREWERY
    ST JOSEPH BREWING COMPANY
    14th & Faraon







    ORIGINAL MISSOURI RIVER BRIDGE

    This was St Joseph's first bridge across the Missouri River




    1 2 3 4

    MARC'S PLACE
    ORVAL'S COCKTAIL LOUNGE & RESTAURANT
    CARRIAGE HOUSE
    FREDERICK INN
    1629 Frederick Avenue

    At one time, this was Marc's Place
    The Frederick Inn remodeled the building
    It later became Orval's, then the Carriage House and finally Frederick Inn
    A fine steak house with great fried chicken, salad bar and a tavern in another section of the building
    In 2013, Frederick Inn voluntarily became a non-smoking establishment




    PARKER HARDWARE & GIFT SHOP
    411 Edmond Street






    PHILLEY ADVERTISING
    23rd & Frederick Avenue






    Circa 1800's
    PHILLIP HEUSCHELE GREEN HOUSES
    15th & Holman Street






    PIXELS PHOTOGRAPHY
    3413 Nickell Drive

    Tom Bennett specializes in restoring photographs






    POLSKY LINCOLN-MERCURY
    1701 Frederick Avenue

    Photo: 1988 Mercury Advertisement






    PRINZ DANCING ACADEMY
    EAGLES LODGE
    10th & Robidoux

    Edward A. Prinz Dance Academy
    He taught ballroom dancing etiquette to young men and women at Prinz's Academy
    The actress Jane Wyman took dancing lessons here as a child
    In the early 1960's, a record hop for teens was held in the upper floor






    Circa 1953
    PRUDENTIAL INSURANCE COMPANY
    2001 Jules Street

    This office building was constructed in 1953 at a cost listed on the building permit of $20,000. The Prudential Insuranoe Company of America had an office here in 1955






    PROSPECT HILL OVERLOOK
    CIRCA: 1933




    1 2 3

    RAU FLORAL & NURSERY
    4607 W. Savannah Road
    Industrial City
    Circa: 1935-1958

    Photo #1 - 1935 advertisement
    Photo #2 - 1958 Newspaper article
    Photo #3 - Advertisement




    REMINGTON NATURE CENTER
    OF ST JOSEPH
    1502 MacArthur Drive

    In 2008, the City of St. Joseph constructed this 13,000 square foot building near the Missouri River, just south of the St Joseph Casino

    It's purpose is to educate and entertain people about nature and conservation

    The center has numerous displays and a gift shop, along with information which will appeal to people of all ages and interests

    There are also displays on Missouri's cultural history

    Another fine feature of this site, the city constructed a paved walking and/or biking trail which parallels the Missouri river

    The trail begins at the Remington Nature Center and ends at the outskirts of downtown St Joseph - it's a very nice & interesting trail

    I currently have no photos available but some will be taken & added here later this year

    Andrea George is the current manager of the center

    Visit the Remington Nature Center Website: Remington Nature Center

    Click to View Remington Nature Center Webcam





    PHOTOS TAKEN BEFORE RESTORATION
    1 2 3 4
    PHOTOS TAKEN AFTER THE RESTORATION
    1 2 3 4

    Circa 1840's
    ROBIDOUX ROW
    3rd & Poulin

    Robidoux Row is a series of connected apartments located at 3rd & Poulin Streets
    Construction of Robidoux Row began in the 1840's and was completed in the late 1850's
    The structure was given the name of Robidoux Row
    Joseph Robidoux, himself, moved into a unit in the eastern section of the building
    He lived here until his death on May 27, 1868
    Today, after having survived many years of neglect, the four remaining units of Robidoux Row have been restored and has been turned it into a museum

    Photo #1 - Robidoux Row, built by Joseph Robidoux in the 1850's
    Photo #2 - Robidoux Row as it appeared in the 1850's
    Photo #3 - Robidoux Row before the restoration
    Photo #1 - Robidoux Row after the restoration
    Photo #2 - Robidoux Row after the restoration






    R.F.BENNETT BATTERY & TIRE SERVICE
    2708 St Joseph Avenue






    ROCK QUARRY
    Waterworks Road

    We used to hillclimb here in the 1970's
    It is located at the far north end of the Bluffs




    1 2 3

    ROY'S BRANCH WATERSHED
    Tyrone Street

    Roy's Branch is one of 8 watersheds in the northwestern part of the city that drain into the Missouri River
    Tyrone Street is located north of St Joseph Casino on waterworks road

    Photo #1 - Historical marker
    Photo #2 - 1959 newspaper photo of Roy's Branch bridge at Tyrone Street
    Photo #3 - 2012 photo of the new Roy's Branch bridge






    Circa 1920's
    ST JOSEPH AVENUE VIEW




    1 2 3 4 5

    ST JOSEPH COUNTRY CLUB
    50 Ridgeland Road

    Located in Country Club Village north of St Joseph
    The organization of St Joseph Country Club took place in 1898 at what once was the Corby home
    There were fewer than 60 members at that time
    Mr. L.M. Smith was the Club's first president
    The first round of golf was played in 1899
    In 1903, the Club moved to the site now used by the Moila Country Club
    It stayed at that location until 1911, when construction started on the present location
    The original clubhouse built was in 1911, it burned to the ground in 1921
    The present clubhouse was completed and opened in 1922




    1 2 3 4

    ST JOSEPH FLOWER SOCIETY
    Ashland Avenue

    These beautiful flowers are located just south of Parkway A on Ashland Avenue

    The St Joseph Flower Society maintains this beautiful area of flowers

    The flowers are visible from Ashland Avenue and the sidewalk

    Ashland Avenue is a favorite place for walkers and joggers

    The Parkway A walking/bicycle trail nearby has now been completed

    A new and welcomed feature is a water fountain

    The St Joseph Flower Society paid for a water fountain to be installed near the flowers

    The water fountain is a combination water fountain

    It has a doggie fountain in the lower half so dog walkers can use it for their pets

    The upper half is for thirsty walkers or joggers

    The St Joseph Flower Society had the fountain installed in memory of one of their members, Mrs. Ann Humphreys

    Photo #4 is a street view of Ashland Avenue
    Photos #1-4 were submitted by Terry Turbak
    Some information was provided by Terry Wallerstedt




    1 2 3 4 5

    SAFEWAY
    UNITED STATES POST OFFICE
    NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF LETTER CARRIERS UNION
    Highland & St Joseph Avenue

    The building has been remodeled since Safeway occupied the building
    At one time the US Post Office was located here
    It is currently owned by the National Association of Letter Carrier Union
    They rent the hall out for dances, meetings, reunions,weddings and any other events requiring a large hall
    Early morning on June 8, 2014, a car headed north on St Joseph Avenue crashed straight into the building making no attempts to stop or make the curve
    All 3 people in the car were taken to the hospital

    Photo #2 was taken Aug 9, 2013
    Photos #3-5 was taken June 8, 2014






    FOUNTAIN & FLOWERS
    25th & Folsom

    This fountain is located at 25th & Folsom
    The flowers and plants are maintained by neighbors

    Photo submitted by Terry Turbak






    Circa 1926
    ST JOSEPH MID-AMERICAN AIRPORT
    Waterworks Road

    In 1926, St Joseph Mid-American airport was located north of St Joseph, just off of Water Works Road
    The airport no longer exists




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

    ST JOSEPH LIGHT & POWER CAR BARNS
    TROLLEY GARAGE or BUS GARAGE
    Hiland & St Joseph Avenue

    Referred to by many names, I always called it the Car Barns
    The car barns were located at Hiland & St Joseph Avenue in North St Joseph
    Since before the turn of the century, St Joseph Light & Power parked and housed their city buses, trolleys, street cars and livestock in this structure
    After being empty for many years, the structure was finally torn down
    A new Burger King now occupies the lot

    Photo #1 - Turn of the century
    Photo #2 - Turn of the century
    Photo #3 - Electric rubber tire street cars
    Photo #4 - Inside view of the car barns
    Photo #5 - Outside view with gas buses
    Photo #6 - Inside view gas bus
    Photo #7 - Color photo prior razing
    Photo #8 - Car barns street car staff
    Photo #9 - 1936 newspaper of new buses
    Photo #10 - Color photo of the car barns
    Photo #11 - 2013 photo of the Burger King
    Photo #12 - Inside view
    Photo #13 - City buses
    Photo #14 - Early boxing matches
    Photo #15 - Early 1900's car barns
    Photo #16 - Early 1900's car barns
    Photo #17 - Mechanic's pit
    Photo #18 - Side and rear view
    Photo #19 - Empty car barn
    Photo #20 - Color photo






    ST JOSEPH MARINA
    1514 Ellinger Road




    1 2 3 4 5 6

    ST JOSEPH WATERWORKS
    PUMPING STATION
    Waterworks Road

    Photo #1 - 1909 Postcard
    Photo #2 - St Joseph Waterworks
    Photo #3 - St Joseph Waterworks
    Photo #4 - 1935 circa photo




    1 2 3 4

    ST JOSEPH WEATHER BUREAU
    5th & Isadore

    This structure once housed the US Weather Bureau in St Joseph
    It is located north of the Police Station on the southwest corner of 5th & Isadore
    The building is still standing and is still in good condition
    Photo #3 - 1912 Postcard




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

    ST JOSEPH HOSPITAL
    SISTER'S HOSPITAL
    10th & Powell

    St Joseph Hospital - was once located at 10th & Powell
    It was a Catholic operated hospital later known as the Sister's Hospital
    The entire hospital was torn down several years ago and turned into an empty lot
    The city turned the empty lot into a nice looking city park

    Photo #1 - Sister's Hospital
    Photo #2 - St Joseph Hospital
    Photo #3 - St Joseph Hospital
    Photo #4 - The new city park
    Photo #5 - The new city park
    Photo #6 - The new city park
    Photo #7 - 1907 Photo of Sister's
    Photo #8 - Postcard
    Photo #9 - Horse and buggy
    Photo #10 - Sister's Hospital
    Photo #11 - Razing of Sister's Hospital
    Photo #12 - Razing of Sister's Hospital
    Photo #13 - Razing of Sister's Hospital




    ST JOSEPH TOWEL & LINEN SERVICE
    711 North 19th

    Was in business from 4/15/1952 to 4/18/1988
    Building no longer exists, it is now an empty lot




    Saxton Heights School1 Norris Drug Store2

    Saxton Heights School
    Westminister Pharmacy
    Scanlan's Drug Store
    Norris Drug Store
    Zercher Photo
    2601 Frederick Avenue

    Saxton Heights School was originally at this location (1889-1900)

    In 1900, the elementary school was abandoned, the students were moved to the new Noyes School at 26th & Delaware

    It is uncertain if the school was razed or incorporated into this building

    After it was a school, Westminster Pharmacy was located at this site (1907-1913)

    In 1937, Russell Scanlan took over the drug store and renamed it Scanlan's Drug Store (1937-1941)

    It later became Herman's Drug Store (1941-1948)

    By 1949, Herman's Drug Store had moved across Frederick Avenue into a newly constructed building on the south side of Frederick

    Norris Drug Store then moved into this building at 2601 Frederick

    Photo #1 - taken when it was Westminister Pharmacy (1907-1913)
    Photo #2 - taken in 2010
    Information was provided by Jack Quinn
    Color Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




    SCHULTZ HARDWARE & PLUMBING SUPPLIES
    2006 St Joseph Avenue






    SHANIN PHARMACY
    PAPPY'S GRILLE
    2501 Messanie Street

    Originally owned & operated by Al Shanin
    Back in the 1960's, lots of kids, mostly high school students, would come in only to play the pinball machine after school. If they didn't buy something, they would be usually escorted out of the drug store

    It had a full service soda fountain and a couple of tables in the eating area

    After Al's death, the pharmacist Thad Hall purchased the business and ran it for many years

    The building was sold & remodeled as Pappy's Grille

    It is still Pappy's Grille in 2015






    SHELTER IN THE BLUFFS
    Huntoon Road




    1 2 3

    SKATELAND
    PEOPLE'S FURNITURE
    3727 Frederick
    3605 Frederick

    In 1946, Carl Johnston built the first Skateland at 3727 Frederick
    In 1950, he moved to his 2nd Skateland at 3605 Frederick
    In 1974, the Skateland building was sold to People's Furniture
    In September 1974, a new Skateland was constructed at 4314 South 40th Street

    Photo #1 - People's Furniture
    Photo #2 - old Skateland advertisement
    Photo #3 - 1974 newspaper article about the new Skateland






    SOLLARS DRUG STORE
    1727 Frederick

    The building gone, it is now a parking lot




    1 2 3 4

    Circa 1853
    SPEAS MANUFACURING CO.
    VINEGAR PLANT
    9th & Grand Avenue

    Built in 1853, this vinegar plant was located between 9th-13th & Grand Avenue

    On May 17, 1959 a fire destroyed a large part of the vinegar plant

    Bad weather during apple season was always disastrous for the apple growers, however, it proved to be a boom to the vinegar business

    Each wooden tank held 48,000 gallons of apples, they had a total of 24 tanks

    In photo #1, one of the new tanks is nearing completion

    The tanks were made of wood because wood resisted the corrosive action of the vinegar

    Iron hoops bound the staves together

    Photo #1 - 5 new tanks are being built giving them a total of 24 tanks to hold the year's output
    Photo #2 - Unloading a truckload of apples
    Photo #3 - The 1959 fire that destroyed much of the plant
    Photo #4 - May 18, 1959 St Joseph Gazette newspaper article






    SPORTMAN'S CLUB
    1514 St Joseph Avenue

    Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

    STANTON LITE LAKES
    East Of St Joseph

    This was a pay fishing lake, most lakes usually charged $1 a pole
    No fishing license required

    Photo #1 - 1958 newspaper advertisement
    Photo #2 - Aerial view of Stanton Lite Lakes
    Photo #3 - Unknown fisherman
    Photo #4 - Unknown fisherman
    Photo #11 - Carp fish caught at Stanton's Lite Lake






    STATE HOSPITAL CELLAR
    East Faraon Street

    State Hospital storage cellar, located south of the State Hospital on Faraon




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

    Circa 1870's
    STATE HOSPITAL #2
    3408 FREDERICK AVENUE

    The buildings were constructed in the 1870's
    In 1994, the State Hospital moved across the street to 3405 Frederick Avenue and the state turned this building into a prison or correctional center




    1 2

    Circa 1873
    STUPPY FLORAL
    Ashland & Karnes Road
    North US 169 Highway & I-29 exit

    This was located behind and southeast of the US Bank at the north end of Ashland Ave/Karnes Road
    Stuppy Floral Company was founded in St. Joseph, Missouri in 1873 by L. J. Stuppy
    The business started as a hobby and diversion to L. J.'s principal occupation as a court reporter
    He grew plants and flowers in his own greenhouses and sold them on a retail basis
    As the growing operations were expanded and more greenhouses added, surplus product was sold to other retailers and the wholesale business was established
    Wholesaling of fresh flowers soon became the principal business with shipments being made as far away as Texas and Oklahoma
    L. J.'s two sons, Francis X. and John Stuppy joined the business and incorporated Stuppy Floral in 1903
    The company continued to operate the greenhouses until 1978
    Stuppy purchased land on US 169 North near I-29 but it didn't last long
    Stuppys was purchased by Rob Houp
    Mr Houp opened a florist shop at 3841 Frederick (behind Perkins)
    His shop is called Village Flowers By Rob
    Photo #2 - 1980 St Joseph News Press advertisement






    SUNBRIDGE CEMETARY
    Old Amazonia Road




    1 2

    TERRIBLE'S CASINO

    Photo #1 - 2011 flood aerial photo
    Photo #2 - 2011 flood aerial photo




    1 2 3

    T G & Y
    SALVATION ARMY STORE
    810 North 22nd

    Located on North 22nd, just south of Frederick Ave, this building was once T G & Y prior to their moving to the Belt & Mitchell location
    As of June 2014, the store is for sale, the Salvation Army is wanting to move back downtown

    Photo #1 - Circa 2008, submitted by Terry McGinnis
    Photo #3 - 1974 TGY Advertisement




    TG&Y

    T G & Y
    2605 St Joseph Avenue

    Photo - 1974 TGY Advertisement






    UNKNOWN BUSINESS
    1002-1006 North 3rd

    No data available of what used to occupy these businesses




    Grocery

    Unknown Name
    Neighborhood Grocery Store

    Small grocery store in North St Joseph
    Flour - 5 lbs for $1.00
    These small stores used to populate neighborhoods all over town
    They are all pretty much gone now, having been replaced by the big discount grocery stores




    1 2

    UNITED STATES POST OFFICE
    GREEN VALLEY INN TAVERN
    5109 Savannah Road

    In 1924, this was a post office
    It later became Green Valley Inn (tavern)
    Photo #1 - US Post Office
    Photo #2 - Green Valley Inn




    UNIVERSAL AUTO SUPPLY
    & HARDWARE STORE
    1922 Frederick Avenue






    UTZ ELECTRIC SHOP
    12th & Faraon







    VANNAMAN'S HARDWARE
    5115 Savannah Road

    The hardware store was open for business until the 198o's
    It was owned and operated by Chic Vannaman
    There was a general hardware and a live bait shop in this building
    Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




    1 2

    Circa 1955
    ALBERT RAY HY-KLAS #6
    VERNON BROTHERS CONSTRUCTION
    622 Lincoln Street





    1 2 3 4

    VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS (VFW)
    BACKDOOR EMPORIUM & AUCTION HOUSE
    1701 St Joseph Avenue

    For many years this was the VFH hall where you could eat, drink and dance
    They had a great breakfast for a very low cost
    The VFW closed down some years ago and the building has been sitting empty
    Mark Puckett purchased the building in 2012 and opened an antique store and an auction house at the location




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

    WASHINGTON PARK LIBRARY
    1821 North 3rd

    Photos #4-9 taken in 2013 by David Osgood
    Photo #10 - 1912 inside view of the library




    1 2 3

    The Waterworks Road

    Photo #1 - Postcard of Waterworks Road before it was paved
    Photo #2 - Photograph of Waterworks Road before it was paved
    Photo #3 - circa 1942




    1 2

    Circa 1961
    WEDDLE CARPET COMPANY
    1901 Jules Street




    1 2 3 4

    Circa 1949
    WELCH HEATING AND PLUMBING
    PLAYERS COCKTAIL LOUNGE
    1635 Frederick Avenue

    In 1949, this was Welch Heating and Plumbing
    It later became Players Cocktail Lounge
    The Players Cocktail Lounge was a night club with strippers
    After sitting empty for many years, the property was purchased by Casey Meyers and was immediately torn down
    Frederick Inn still resides just west of where the Players building once stood
    The empty lot now serves as a parking lot for Frederick Inn

    Photo #1 - The Players Lounge when it was open for business
    Photo #2 - The new parking for the Frederick Inn restaurant
    Photo #3 - Photo of the Frederick Inn west of the Players lot
    Photo #4 - Players newspaper advertisement




    Wickersham1 Wickersham2 Wickersham3

    Circa 1950's
    WICKERSHAM RESTAURANT
    JOHNSON BOOTERY
    STURGIS LEATHER
    DEANN RENE DANCE STUDIO
    2327 Frederick Avenue

    In the 1950's, this was once Wickersham Restaurant
    In later years it was Johnson Bootery, a movie rental store and Sturgis Leather store selling leather apparel
    In 2011, it became a tattoo parlor
    In 2013 it is currently Deann Rene Studio of Dance




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

    WIRE ROPE CORPORATION OF AMERICA
    609 North 2nd Street

    Photo #1 - Taken in 1971
    Photo #2 - Overview
    Photo #3 - 1950 Newspaper article
    Photo #4 - A view of the plant interior
    Photo #5 - 2013 photo
    Photo #6 - Aerial View
    Photo #7 - Aerial View
    Photo #8 - Wire Rope plant
    Photo #9 - Wire Rope plant
    Photo #10 - Wire Rope plant
    Photo #11 - Trucks at loading dock
    Photo #1 donated by Rick Stafford




    1940 CONOCO

    Circa 1936
    WOODSON BARNETT CONOCO
    20th & Frederick Avenue

    Check out those old gasoline pumps and the price of oil
    Photo submitted by Blair Carmichael




    1 2 3

    ZIPH'S CAR WASH
    2311 Frederick Ave

    Located at 2311 Frederick Ave, this building was once Ziph's Car Wash
    It was the first fully automated car wash in town
    Your car was towed through the wash via a chain through a series of brushes and sprayers
    At the end of the wash there were several people who would dry your car off with towels
    It was so popular that they opened a 2nd Ziph's Car Wash at the Belt Highway & Messanie
    The carwash was operated by the Mortimers
    This building later became a sporting wear shop and since has been occupied by several different businesses
    Photos #1 & 2 - 2008 Photos submitted by Terry McGinnis




    PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



    Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
    Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


    Return To Main Menu