Search Engine for St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind


Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE: Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

LISTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER





TENDERLOIN SANDWICHES
WHERE TO BUY THEM

St Joseph is the Tenderloin Sandwich capital of the United States
Here is a list of some places that serve Tenderloin Sandwiches




MABEL'S COFFEE SHOP
1027 Mitchell




MAC'S CAFE
824 Frederick Avenue

Structure is now gone



Y BBQ & Motel1 Y BBQ & Motel2 Y BBQ & Motel3 Y BBQ & Motel4 Y BBQ & Motel5 Y BBQ & Motel6 Y BBQ & Motel7 Y BBQ & Motel8 Y BBQ & Motel9 Y BBQ & Motel10 Y BBQ & Motel11 Y BBQ & Motel12 13

Circa 1940
MARTIN'S "Y" MOTEL
3510 North 71 Highway (North Belt Highway)
All Razed in April 2016

The "Y" BBQ & Roadhouse sat on the town's outskirts, the junction of North 169 and 71 Highways
This is now one of the busiest intersections in the city and the area is really developing with a new shopping center, Lowes, Walmart, Sams Club, large movie complex, resturants and other retail businesses that opened in 2005 & 2006 (called The Shoppes)
The "Y" Motel restaurant housed several slot machines and had 10 cabins in back, which were called, tourist courts. Many of the cabins were still standing and were occupied by small businesses until 2016

On the south side, a filling station used to stand. The building burned down in 1939 or 1940

Across the highway, where the Mo Highway Patrol now stands, was the Thames Stadium, ball field and race track

The Ogden Restaurant was across the highway on the northeast corner, where St Joseph Tobacco now stands
During the summer of 2016, the entire "Y" Motel complex was razed
Construction of a small shopping center has begun, as seen in the last 3 photos






MASSEY'S BBQ
2000 St Joseph Avenue

Massey BBQ, when Mr Massey died, the best BBQ in town died with him
Numerous businesses have occupied the building since Massey





Maid-rite1 Maid-rite2 Maid-rite3 Maid-rite4 Maidrite5 Maidrite6 Maidrite7 8

Circa 1940's
CARAMEL CORNER
Circa 1955
MAID-RITE SANDWICH SHOP
623 Edmond
Destroyed by Fire

Before Maid-Rite occupied this building, Carmel Corner was in it
Over the years, there were numerous Maid-Rite shops in St Joseph

The V.F.W. Hall occupied the 2nd floor above Maid-Rite

Both the Maid-Rite & the VFW Hall were destroyed by fire

The entire building was razed
After the fire, Maid-rite moved to the southwest corner of 6th & Felix

Maid-Rite occupied the old gas station on the corner of Ashland & Frederick

Maid-Rite sold the Frederick Avenue building to Crumbly Burger
The Frederick Avenue location was the last in St Joseph

Crumbly Burger didn't pay the franchise fees to retain the Maid-Rite name

Maid-Rite had also purchased the old Henry building on St. Joseph Avenue but was later sold to become the Cabana Grill

In the 1980's, there was also a small Maid-Rite at 12th & Commercial

In the 1970's, there was a Maid-Rite on the Belt Highway south of the Y Motel

There are no longer any Maid-Rites in St Joseph

Photo #1 - Carmel Corner occupied the building before Maid-Rite
Photo #1 - Night photo of Carmel Corner before Maid-Rite occupied the building
Photo #3 - Only a parking lot remains
Photo #4 - 1990's photo of 7th & Edmond location
Photo #5 - Maid-Rite at 7th & Edmond location
Photo #6 - The Maid-Rite sandwich
Photo #7 - Left to right, Nick's Cleaners, Atlas Printing, Rendevous Tavern, Maid-Rite
Photo #8 - 1976 photo




1 2 3 4

MAID-RITE SANDWICH SHOP
522 Felix

One Maid-rite had occupied the old gas station on the NE corner of Ashland & Frederick Avenue for numerous years until they sold the building to Crumbly Burger
Maid-Rite had also purchased the old Henry building on St. Joseph Ave but was later sold to become the Cabana Grill
For a few years back in the 1980's, there was also a Maid-Rite at 12th & Commercial
There also was a Maid-Rite at 3508 North Belt Highway just south of the Y Motel in the mid-1970's

Photo #1 - Maid-rite moved to 6th & Felix after Edmond fire
Photo #2 - Maid-rite moved to 6th & Felix after Edmond fire
Photo #3 - Advertisement
Photo #4 - 1999 Maid-Rite advertisement marking 50 years in St Joseph




1 2 3

Erwin Standard Station
Don Smith Ashland Standard
Maid-Rite
Crumbly Burger
2701 Frederick & Ashland

Northeast corner of Frederick & Ashland
For many years, a Standard station was at this location
After Don Smith closed it was the home of Maid-rite for many years
Maid-rite closed all of the St Joseph restaurants
The building is currently the home of Crumbly Burger
Crumbly Burger offers an array of items on their menu

Photo #1 - Current photo of Crumbly Burger
Photo #2 - Photo of Don Smith's Tow Truck
Photo #3 - 1999 Maid-Rite advertisement marking 50 years in St Joseph
Photo #1 submitted by Rodney Keyes






MAID-RITE SANDWICH SHOP
3508 NORTH BELT

There was a Maid-Rite at 3508 North Belt Highway in the 1970's
It was between North Belt McDonalds and the "Y" Motel. A few years ago this building housed Sturgis Leather




MANGANARO BROTHERS
ICE CREAM PARLOR
518 Edmond

In 1921, Giuseppe "Joe" Manganaro and his brother had an ice cream parlor at this address
The building no longer exists, the Katz Drug store evidently consumed the property
Photo submitted by Jeff Soto, Manganaro's great grandson




MAPLE LUNCH
2116 South 6th Street




Maple's Tea Room1 Maple's Tea Room2 Maple's Tea Room3

MAPLE'S TEA ROOM
SANSONE FLORAL
2702 & Ashland Ave

Located on the Northwest corner of Gene Field & Ashland Ave
Currently it is Sansone flower shop
Photo #3 - 1957 photo of Maple's Tea Room






MAREK'S FINE FOOD
6106 Lake Avenue

Louis & Walter Marek




1 2 3 4

MAREK GROCERY
MAREK DELI & CATERING
432 Virginia

The Mareks have been in the same location for nearly a century
The business at 432 Virginia St. first opened 95 years ago as Marek Grocery
The Mareks have offered catering since 1946
In the 1960s, it became strictly catering

Mr. Marek, his sister, Elizabeth, and their mother opened the deli in 1982
The deli has long been known for its famous sub, the Torpedo
This twist on the submarine sandwich features ham, turkey, salami, provolone and longhorn cheeses topped with onions, tomatoes and marinated lettuce piled high on a homemade bun

The building in June 2014 after a windstorm damaged the building's foundation
Elizabeth Marek said structural engineers deemed the building irreparable
The building was razed on December 1, 2014

Mr. Marek said they hope to reopen as soon as possible, preferably in the South Side

Photo #1 - Marek Grocery as it once looked
Photo #2 - As the building looks in 2012
Photo #3 - As the building looks in 2012
Photo #4 - St Joseph News Press photo of the razing




1 2 3 4

GOLDEN CORRAL
MANCHESTERS STEAK HOUSE
THE TAP ROOM BAR & GRILL
MARIACHI MEXICAN GRILL & CANTINA
1702 North Belt Highway

THIS BUILDING NO LONGER EXISTS

The 1st Golden Corral was once located at this address
The owner of Manchester Steak House, who also owns Hunan's Chinese Restaurant, remodeled the old Golden Corral building
After Manchesters closed, it became the Tap Room
The Tap Room closed in 2014 and it became Mariachi Mexican Grill and Cantina in late May 2014
The lady who owns Hunan's Chinese Restaurant owns & leases the building
The building was purchased, razed and a retail tire company built a new tire store on the location




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1921
STOUT & PUMPHREY GROCERY
MARC'S PLACE
ORVAL'S COCKTAIL
LOUNGE & RESTAURANT
COACH HOUSE
CARRIAGE HOUSE
FREDERICK INN
1629 Frederick Avenue

1629 Frederick Avenue
In 1921, this was Stout & Pumphrey Grocery
A barber shop can be seen in the left side of photo #5
The newly remodeled building is the Frederick Inn
Evidently, this was Marc's Place at one time
It later became Orval's, then the Carriage House and finally Frederick Inn
A fine steak house with great fried chicken, salad bar and a tavern in another section of the building
In 2013, Frederick Inn voluntarily became a non-smoking establishment
On February 24, 2015 the Frederick Inn was sold to Amber and Jeffery McKnight III




MARY ANN'S CAFE
1027 Mitchell

Mary Ann's was located on the northwest corner of 11th & Mitchell Avenue
It was across the street from Western Tablet (Westab)
This was a great place to eat
The building no longer exists




MAXINE'S CAFE
RFD 4




Mazzio's Pizza

MAZZIO'S PIZZA
THE GREAT WALL
815 South Belt Highway

Mazzio's Pizza was once located at 815 South Belt Highway
Lisa Clifford Winslow, the lady in the above photo, was the manager of Mazzio's
The Great Wall Chinese Restaurant was here for many years after Mazzio's closed
A sports bar now occupies this building




1 2 3 4 5 6

McDONALDS RESTAURANT #532
601 North Belt Highway

This was the first McDonald Restaurant to come to St Joseph in the early 1960's
Back then they sold hamburgers for 15 cents, cheeseburgers for 20 cents
The french fries were 10 cents
Check out the prices in the 1970's menu (photo #6)

Photo #1 - Current 2012 photo
Photo #2 - newspaper advertisement
Photo #3 - 1963 newspaper advertisement
Photo #4 - Left to right, Jim Kelly, Greg Everett, Danny Taylor
Photo #5 - McDonalds view from the Belt Highway
Photo #6 - 1970's McDonald menu & prices




1 2 3 4

McDONALDS
3504 N Belt Hwy

The McDonalds that was located at this location for many years was razed in the summer of 2016 and a new modern building was constructed in it's place




McGEE & BUNDORIAN
1703 Messanie Street




MERNA'S CAFE
916 Francis Street

Structure is now gone




MERT'S CAFE
423 West Illinois

Structure is now gone






MILLER'S GRILL
3110 So 169 Highway

3110 South 169 Highway (Belt & Pear)
The structure, now gone, it was located where Car City is now
Jesse Miller opened the restaurant in 1956 and it closed in 1979
They had great tenderloins and great bowls of chili
Miller's Grill was Wade's Indian grill main competition, both had great chili and both had great tenderloin sandwiches




1 2

MILLER'S GRILL
KATHY'S KITCHEN
NELLY'S MEXICAN RESTAURANT
4506 South 169 Highway

In 1979, Cheryl Gann purchased the original Miller's Grill on Pear Street
The grill was reopened as Miller's Grill in a new building at 4506 So 169 Highway
This 2nd Miller's Grill was located in a small strip mall located just East of I-29
The restaurant was later sold to Laura Brewer, date of purchase is unknown
The restaurant was operated for 4 years by Mike & Julia Meyers
In 1997, Mrs Brewer closed the grill
Photo #1, St Joseph News-Press newspaper clipping about closing the grill
Kathy's Kitchen then opened at this location
Kathy's Kitchen was a very good restaurant
Kathy was forced to close the restaurant due to health problems
After Kathy's closed, a Mexican Restaurant called Nelly's opened here
Nelly's Mexican Restaurant is currently open at this address
Photo #2 taken in 2013 by Rodney Keyes




MILLER'S CAFE
328 Francis




MILWAUKEE CONEY ISLAND
519 Edmond Street

Structure is now gone






MISSOURIAN TAVERN
Lake Ave & King Hill Ave

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




MOM'S CAFE
2324 South 6th Street




MOODY'S LUNCH
222 North 6th Street






MURPHY SANDWICH SHOP
1902 South 4th

The building was razed when the State Highway department built a highway here




MY-T-MO DRIVE-IN
1310 North 4th




NELLE'S COTTAGE LUNCH
1820 Frederick Avenue






NEWMAN'S EAT SHOP
1302 South 6th




NEWPORT CAFE
619 Edmond Street

Structure is now gone




NICHOLS BBQ
413 Felix




NITE HAWK DRIVE-IN
920 North 22nd

Was located on the west side of 22nd Street, just north of Frederick Avenue
It was open 24 Hours a day, 7 days a week
They sure had great a breakfast
Fred Sansone and his wife were the owners
They also owned the Qwik Carry Outs in town
Structure is now gone and would love to find a photo of it




NORRIS SANDWICH & WAFFLE SHOP
324 South 5th




1 2 3

Circa 1950
OAKFORD TEA ROOM & CAFETERIA
115 N. 7th

This was in existence into the 1960's
Photo #1 - submitted by Lori Forsee, formerly from St. Joseph




O ME O MY CAFE
2205 Garfield Avenue

Structure is now gone




1 2 3 4 5 6

OZENBERGER ICE CREAM
BASKIN-ROBBINS
1915 Frederick Avenue

This was once one of St Joseph's great ice cream shops
Photo #4 is their rubber stamp
Photo #7 was taken when it was Baskin-Robbins
Photo #7 submitted by Michael Miller





PAINTER'S EAT SHOP
309 Felix




PaHUCK CAFE
304 Francis




PALMER & HARIMAN
228 Edmond Street




PAPADAS CAFE
1204 South 10th Street




PAPPA'S
508 South 6th Street




PARISOFF CAFE
501 North 8th






PARADISE DONUTS
4 ACES BBQ
King Hill Avenue & Missouri

In the mid 1970's, this building was home to the Paradise Donut Shop
The 4 Aces BBQ shared the same building
The donut shop, owned by Jan Lloyd, closed somewhere around 1995
Data supplied by Terry Plumb
Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes






PARK CAFE
917 South 10th Street

Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2

Circa Mid 1960's
KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN (Upper Floor)
PASQUALES PIZZERIA (Lower Floor)
206 South Belt Highway

206 South Belt Highway, KFC was located in the upper floor
Pasquales Pizzaria occupied the bottom floor
Great pizza, was only open about 1 year in the mid 1960's
Parking for Pasquales Pizzaria was behind the building
A mattress company later occupied the KFC in the upper floor
Several businesses have since occupied the building since







PAUL'S EAT SHOP
402 South 8th Street

Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes




PEERLESS CAFE
516 South 6th Street




1 2

PENNANT CAFETERIA
619 ½ Felix Street

Pennant Cafeteria was located above Woolworth 10 cent store
The cafeteria closed around 1955
Structure is now gone




PETTIJOHN EAT SHOP
Industrial City




PHELPS CAFE
216 Francis






PHILLIPS ICE CREAM
1222 South 10th





Phipps Tavern

PHIPPS TAVERN & GRILL
ADAMS BAR & GRILL
1612 Commercial

1612 Commercial
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes
Now Adams Bar & Grill




PITO CAFE
1403 Penn




PICKARD CAFE
2705 South 11th Street

Structure is now gone




1 2

PIG PARLOR
916 Francis

In 1933, the Pig Parlor was located at 916 Francis




PINE VIEW SERVICE STATION & CAFE
RFD 4

Structure is now gone




1 2 3

LUNCH BOX
PINZINO'S MUSIC BOX CAFE
DANTE'S ITALIAN AMERICAN CUSINE
1900 Frederick Avenue

Located on the south side of the street at 19th & Frederick Avenue
Originally called the Lunch Box restaurant
It was owned by Bradley & Stella Christie who were also the owners of the Snow White
Emillo "Jimmy" Pinzino purchase the Lunch Box from the Christies in 1945 and called it the Music Box
The Music Box became a popular young adult hangout
The Music Box was later renamed to Dante's Italian American Cusine
It became well known around town as just Dante's
The restaurant closed on New Year's Eve, 1973 and was later sold
There have been numerous businesses in this building since
Photo #3 - Photo of when it was the Lunch Box




PIPE'S DINER
601 Jules Street

Structure is now gone




1 2 3 4

PIZZA HUT
2600 North Belt Highway
2709 North Belt Highway
3414 Gene Field Road

(Photo #1) This was the original and 1st Pizza Hut in St Joseph
Years later it was sold and this building has been home to 2 taverns
A new Pizza Hut was built on the corner of Belt Highway & Gene Field road (Photo #2)
After many years, this older Pizza Hut was finally replaced with a new building (Photo #3) and photo $4
I need to take some more photos of the new and improved building
When we were in a Pizza Hut in Orlando Florida while on vacation in the mid 1990s, they had a ranking list on the wall
At the top of the list was this Pizza Hut and it had been ranked as being the #1 Pizza Hut in the nation - We thought that was pretty neat
Parking at this Pizza Hut had always been a problem
They had a very small parking lot in front
If you parked in a lot behind, those owners were always complaining about Pizza Hut customers parking in their lots, threatening to call the police, etc
Pizza Hut bought the Captain D's property behind and built their new building behind the original on the newly purchased land
Then the old building was removed thus creating a much larger parking lot in front
The new larger parking lot elevated their parking problem
They also now have a drive thru pickup window in the rear of the building
Pizza Hut submitted some of their parking lot land to the city so the city could create a 3rd lane used for turning north onto the Belt
It was a major improvement for Pizza Hut and traffic flow




1 2

PIZZA HUT
1617 South Belt

Photo #1 is a 1972 photo
Photo #2 is a 2016 photo




PIZZA HUT
King Hill Plaza
6942 King Hill Ave







PIZZA HUT
915 Jonathan Lane

Located 1 block south of Frederic Avenue, 1/2 block west of the Belt Highway






PIZZA HUT
EL RAY DEL TACO
1711 Mitchell

Opened originally as a Pizza Hut
Pizza Hut closed and El Ray Del Taco opened at this location
El Ray Del Taco was listed in the 2007 to 2010 telephone books
No idea when Pizza Hut & El Ray Del Taco closed
Currently in 2013/2014, the structure is empty and it is for sale






PIZZA ROYAL
2612 St Joseph Avenue
403 Illinois

1974 newspaper advertisement, 2 locations
$2 for a large pizza




PLAZA DRIVE-IN
Belt Highway





1 2

PONY EXPRESS SMOKEHOUSE BBQ
MITCHELL DINER
12th & Penn

The Pony Express Smokehouse BBQ was located between at 12th & Penn
The Smokehouse BBQ had great BBQ & the best cole slaw in town
When the Smokehouse closed, Mitchell Diner moved into this building
Mitchell Diner was originally located at 15th & Mitchell
There is still a sign saying Mitchell Diner but the building is vacant
The Mitchell Diner is currently out of business
Photo #1 submitted by Rodney Keyes




PONY EXPRESS
MOTOR COURT & CAFE
Elwood Kansas




QUALITY CAFE
602 South 4th




Qwik Carry Out1 2

QWIK CARRY OUT
J & L SNACK SHACK
2618 Messanie

Qwik Carry Out was located on Messanie Street, due South of Central High School
They offered 7 hamburgers or 7 beefburgers for only $1.15 What a deal!
They weren't huge but they were delicious and affordable
Fred Sansone & his wife also owned the Nite Hawk Cafe that was 22nd & Frederick
J & L Snack Shack opened in this building in later years
Photo submitted by Terry McGinnis




1 2 3 4

PRIMAVERA ITALIAN RESTAURANT
3818 Frederick Avenue

New restaurant which opened in September 2017




QWIK CARRY OUT
22nd & Olive

A 2nd Qwik Carry Out was located on the south side of the Imperial station at 22nd & Olive. The owners also owned the NITE HAWK Cafe that was once located at 22nd & Frederick Avenue
The structure was torn down when the service station was remodeled




Railroad Inn

RAILROAD INN
2201 South 10th Street

Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes




RED CLOCK TAVERN
RFD 1




1 2

Circa 1950
RED WING CAFE
CAROL ANN'S
504 Edmond Street

In the 1960's & 1970's, just about every Western Dairy milkman ate breakfast at Carol Ann's or bought a cup of coffee
Carol Ann's daughter currently owns Adam's grille and Carol Ann works there
Photo #1 - 1950 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - submitted by Rodney Keyes




RENO DINER
601 Jules Street






Circa 1960's
RENO'S CORRAL ROOM
5106 Lake Avenue

Circa: 1960's
It was owned by Lawrence & Elsie Reno
Womach Motors currently occupies this location




Circa 1950
RENO'S WAFFLE SHOP
111 North 9th Street




REYNOLD'S RESTAURANT
409 Illinois

Structure is now gone




Circa 1950
REX FOOD SHOP
614 Edmond Street




REX FOOD SHOP
1820 Frederick Avenue




REYNOLD'S RESTAURANT
409 Illinois




RING SIDE GRILL
915 Frederick Avenue

Structure is now gone




RITA & JOE'S CAFE
323 Edmond Street




ROBERTS CAFE
3041 South 22nd Street




ROEBUCK CAFE
1002 South 9th




ROCHE SANDWICH SHOP
2403 Frederick Avenue

Structure is now gone




1 2

ROCKET TRUCK STOP
5348 Lake Avenue

First Bank of Missouri now occupies this address
The Rocket Truck Stop no longer exists
In 1958, they had a great pinball machine




1 2 3

Circa 1940s
ROME INN NIGHT CLUB
Memorial Highway

This night club was located just south of Hawkins Truck Stop
The structure no longer exists




Snow White

ROSEBUD BAKERY
U.S. SMOKE SHOP
5801 Lake Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




Snow White

ROYAL CAFE
827 Mitchell

Structure is now gone
Photo - 1948 advertisement




RUBY'S CAFE
304 Edmond Street




ST FRANCIS HOTEL COFFEE SHOP
205 North 6th Street




Circa 1950
SANSONE DRIVE IN
5104 King Hill Avenue




Circa 1950
SANSONE DRIVE IN
221 South 6th Street




Circa 1950
SANSONE SANDWICH SHOP
1302 South 6th Street




SANDRA LOU SANDWICH SHOP
Industrial City




1 2 3 4 5

SANITARY LUNCH
721 Edmond

Once located east of the Missouri Theater
During WWII, the building was temporarily used for the Greek War Relief Association

Photo #1 - Inside view of Sanitary Lunch at 721 Edmond
Photo #2 - Sanitary Lunch counter view
Photo #3 - View from 8th & Edmond
Photo #4 - WWII St Joseph newspaper photo Greek War Relief Association using the building
Photo #5 - Photo Circa 1956






SAN JOSE STEAKHOUSE & MEXICAN GRILL
4015 South 169 Highway

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




Circa 1950
SANSOME SANDWICH SHOP
1302 South 6th Street




SCHROEDER CAFE
310 Felix




SELECT CAFE
504 Edmond




1 2 3 4 5

SHAKEY'S PIZZA
36th STREET RESTAURANT
LA DOLCE VITA
SUBWAY
501 NORTH BELT HIGHWAY

Shakey's Pizza was located at 501 North Belt Highway, next door to the original Taco Bell which can be seen in photo #3
In 2010, the property was sold to the owner of Subway Sandwiches
The building was destroyed and a new Subway was built in it's place that is scheduled to open in 2012
The new Subway is now open in 2012 at this location

Photo #1 - Originally Shakey's Pizza occupied this building
Photo #2 - After Shakey's left, it became 36th Street Restaurant
Photo #3 - After a kitchen fire, the name was changed to La Dolce Vita




1 2 3

SHANGRILA MOTEL RESTAURANT
NORTH BELT HIGHWAY

Managed by Ted & Joan Bolton
They lived in the motel



1 2 3

SHANIN PHARMACY
PAPPY'S GRILLE
2501 Messanie Street

Originally owned & operated by Al Shanin
Back in the 1960's, lots of kids, mostly high school students, would come in only to play the pinball machine after school. If they didn't buy something, they would be usually escorted out of the drug store

It had a full service soda fountain and a couple of tables in the eating area

After Al's death, the pharmacist Thad Hall purchased the business and ran it for many years

The building was sold & remodeled as Pappy's Grille

It is still Pappy's Grille in 2015




SHERRY'S DINNER CLUB
RFD 2

Structure is now gone




SHEWMAKER CAFE
1918 Frederick




Circa 1905
SILVER GRILL CAFE
1212 South 6th Street

John and Thomas Kegan, manager and clerk



1 2

VALENTINOS RISTORANTE
SIRLOIN STOCKADE
2204 North Belt

Both restaurants were a buffet style restaurant
Both had great food
Both were a good place to eat dinner however neither of them lasted very long for some reason






SIZZLER FAMILY STEAK HOUSE
McALISTER'S DELI
3815 Frederick Avenue

For many years this was a popular steak house
McAlister's purchased the building and totally remodeled it
McAlister's offers sandwiches, salads and potatoes
They also sell their sweet tea by the gallon




SMITTIE'S BAR & GRILL
214 West Missouri




SMITTY'S CAFE & WAFFLE SHOP
414 Francis Street

Structure is now gone




Circa 1950
THE SNAK SHAK
2603 St Joseph Avenue




SNOW WHITE SANDWICH SHOP
1520 Frederick Avenue




Original Snow White1 Original Snow White2 Original Snow White3

ORIGINAL SNOW WHITE RESTAURANT
The GLASS HOUSE #5

The original Snow White opened in 1939 as the Glass House #5 by Bradley & Stella Christie. The Christies retired in 1983 and closed the restaurant for the 1st time




Original Snow White

Circa 1940's
SNOW WHITE RESTAURANT

In the early 1940's, the name had been changed to Snow White Sandwich System No. 4




Snow White1 Snow White2 Snow White3 Snow White4 Snow White5 Snow White6 Snow White7 Snow White8 Snow White9 Snow White10 Snow White11 Snow White12 Snow White13 Snow White14

Circa 1940
SNOW WHITE RESTAURANT
3645 Frederick Avenue

Snow White was located on the Belt Highway just north of Frederick Avenue
The Snow White was remodeled shortly after 1957
By the late-1950's Snow White had expanded and become the largest and most popular drive-in restaurant in St Joseph
Snow White as the home of the 59 cent Big'un!, a big double decker cheeseburger with a special sauce
Every booth had a small juke box player. For a quarter you could listen to 5 songs
Their pies were made by Jerre Anne's, who made the best pies in St Joseph
In the mid 1960's, the curb service closed, only inside eating was provided
I was at the curb service one night, I observed some kids were getting out of hand squirting mustard and ketchup
The curb service was closed down permanently the very next day - this may have been the reason
On January 25, 1991, the Snow White was razed
Shortly after, Winsteads Hamburgers was constructed on the site
Winsteads was torn down about a year later
Winsteads was replaced with a Walgreen Pharmacy

Photo #1 - 1957 picture of the Snow White. Some of curb service is visible
Photo #2 - as it looked in 1957
Photo #3 - taken in 1982
Photo #5 - Artist drawing of the Snow White Resturant
Photo #6 - Snow White markee
Photo #7 - Old Snow White menu (cover)
Photo #8 - Old Snow White menu (inside view)
Photo #9 - A newer Snow White menu - the Big Un is no longer 59 cents
Photo #10 - The Big Un was 65 cents
Photo #11 - Circa 1960's Snow White postcard
Photo #12 - 1951 Photo
Photo #13 - Razing of the Snow White January 25, 1991
Photo #14 - Snow White Sign that was by the Belt Highway entrance




1 2 3

SOUTHGATE GRILLE & LOUNGE
6106 King Hill Avenue

Photo #1 submitted by Rodney Keyes




SOUTH PARK CAFE
1706 Commercial

Structure is now gone




SPIELMAN CAFE
1418 Penn




1 2 3

SPOT CAFE
5019 King Hill Avenue
212 South 5th Street

Once the Spot Cafe was at 2 locations, 5019 King Hill Avenue and 212 So. 5th
The 5th street location was closed by 1960
King Hill location closed in 2011 and was for sale
The Spot Cafe is open again in 2013




STANS GOLDEN GRILL
4225 Frederick Avenue

This was the Snow White's owner new restaurant
When the Snow White was closed, he opened a new restaurant here
Unfortunately it was not a great success




Circa 1950
STAR LUNCH CAFE
1107 Mitchell




Circa 1950
STITES CAFE
614 Edmond
402 Illinois




STORY'S CAFE
1101 North 6th Street

Structure is now gone



STOTTS & HOFFMAN
725 South 6th Street




Fisher Grocery

SUGAR SHACK BAKERY
2310 South 11th Street

A very good bakery back in the 1980's
Sugar Shack is no longer in business
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes



1 2 3

MARINA CLUB
THE BOATHOUSE
SUNSET GRILLE
4072 River Road
Via Waterworks Road

Originally this was the Marina Club
It later became the Boathouse and Rod Warford ran it
It flooded in July 1993
In February 1994, Larry Buck and John Sutherland opened it as the Sunset Grill
Yari Kosola ran it for about 2-3 years after Larry Buck
The Sunset Grille is no longer in business

Photo #1 - The Marina Club
Photo #2 - Larry Buck seating people in his newly opened restaurant
Photo #3 - The Boathouse flooded in July 1993




SWAN CAFE
6042 King Hill Avenue




1 2 3 4 5

SWISS LODGE
SWISS CHALET
MONTEREY MEXICAN RESTAURANT
3101 NORTH BELT HIGHWAY

This building was located at 3101 North Belt Highway
It housed 3 businesses during it's lifespan
Originally it was called the Swiss Lodge
It was later named the Swiss Chalet
It was located on the east side of North Belt Highway
It was a great place for parties, picnics, meetings, etc
It was sold and remodeled to become the Monterey Mexican Restaurant
The restaurant didn't remain in business very long
The building was torn down and other structures have now taken it's place
A strip mall and a Phillips 66 gas station is now where the Swiss Chalet once sat






TACO BANDIDO
1601 St Joseph Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






TACO BELL
503 North Belt Highway
601 North Belt Highway
3301 North Belt Highway

The 503 North Belt location was the first Taco Bell to open up in St Joseph
Taco Bell moved to 3301 North Belt and the 503 North Belt building sat empty for many years
Several businesses have occupied the building over the years
The McDonalds in the photo is the first McDonalds to open in St Joseph




The Coffee Pot
1820 Frederick




THE DINER
123 South 8th Street

Structure is now gone




TIK-TOK SANDWICH SHOP
3227 Michell

Was next door to Muny Inn. Structure is now gone and is now an empty lot




1 2 3

TIK-TOK DRIVE-IN
MOTEL & RESTAURANT
1424 South Belt Highway

1424 South Belt Highway (Belt & Renick)
This was a very good place to eat
Structure is now gone






Circa 1940's
TILSON'S CAFE
1011 Mitchell Avenue





TIP TOP CAFE
319 Edmond




TWILL-DO CAFE
414 South 7th Street

Structure is now gone




TWIN CEDARS
RFD 1

The structure is gone




THE UTOPIAN
6731 Memorial Highway (US 59)




Circa 1950
VAN GUNDY'S PARK-IN
BROWN DERBY
1527 St Joseph Avenue




VASSOS CAFE
302 South 6th




VALLEY COTTAGE
6440 King Hill Avenue

Structure is gone




Vavra Bakery1 Vavra Bakery2

VAVRA'S BAKERY
1202 Sycamore Street

Located at 1202 Sycamore Street
A very good bakery that went out of business many years ago
Photos submitted by Rodney Keyes




VEE'S SANDWICH SHOP
6108 King Hill Avenue




VELMA'S CAFE
1901 Frederick Avenue




VEY CAFE
Industrial City




VI'S FOOD SHOP
VI's GRILL
504 South 6th
414 South 6th
1222 South 6th




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1939
VICTORY CAFE
Circa 1955
VICTORY RESTAURANT
LaFONDA RESTAURANT
708-710 EDMOND STREET

Located just west of the Electric theater downtown was the Victory Cafe. After the Victory closed it became LaFonda
The Electric Theater and all adjacent buildings were torn down leaving a large empty lot
Photo #1 - 1962 LaFonda newspaper advertisement
Photo #2 - 1966
Photo #3 - 1960 St Joseph News-Press photo
Photo #4 - 1955 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #5 - 1939 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #6 - 1959 St Joseph News Press advertisement






THE VIRGINIAN
3225 North Belt Highway

Currently Ray's Green Hills grocery store is at this location






Circa 1950
WADE'S HAMBURGERS
2030 Frederick Avenue

This is the original Wade's Hamburgers
Hatfield's Hardware can be seen in the background
This structure no longer exists
Wade's moved to 17th & Mitchell to become Wade's Indian Grill
Learning about the early years of Wades would be interesting




Wades Indian Grill1 Wades Indian Grill2 Wades Indian Grill3

WADE'S INDIAN GRILL
1702 Mitchell

Wade's Indian Grill, one of the most unique eating establishments in St Joseph, was located at 17th & Mitchell until it closed sometime between 1964-65
The hand carved & hand painted totem pole located on the east side of the building was installed in August 1955 - see photo #2 for details
Glenn Frederick Eiman managed Wade's until his passing in 1960
The assisant manager, Gene Borowski, became the new manager and managed it until Wade's closed (exact date unknown)
Their famous WAHOO! burger & WAHOO! chili bowl was delicious. They also had the best tenderloin sandwich and best chili in town. (many would love to have the chili recipe)
I remember ordering my first brain sandwich there, it was 25 cents and delicious
But after looking at what I was eating, I could not finish it and I never ordered another one
The Wade's Special was a bowl of chili, fries and a big mug of ice cold Rootbeer
The owner, Mr Liggett, asked Gene Borowski if he wanted to purchase the business. The deal never went through so Mr Liggett had the building bulldozed down
Wade's had a absolutely beautiful western decor inside
There was a large, hand carved wood placard, about 4'x5' in size, depicting the Battle of Big Horn where Custer met his Waterloo, located on the north wall to the right of the entrance
There was a high shelf which went all the way around the inside walls. On the shelf were hand carved statues of all the old west Famous People, Outlaws, lawmen, etc.
There were no tables or booths, there was only a large curved bar with stools
It also had two pinball machines and a jukebox
The building was razed sometime around 1964-1965, the huge totem pole remained for years. Not pictured, the totem pole was located at the left side of the building. Several businesses have since occupied the space
It is my understanding that the totem pole was submitted to Camp Geiger
Some of the above information was provide by Robert [Bob] Kiefer who worked at Wades, from the late 50s-1962




WALDENS CAFE
427 Illinois




WAKELY'S HOT DOGS
ORANGE DRINK
AND SNACK BAR
704 Edmond Street
507 Edmond
502 Francis

There were 3 locations in 1950, 507 Edmond, 502 Francis and 704 Edmond
When I delivered milk to Mr Wakely, he told me that he had owned 3 shops downtown but have no idea where the 2nd one was. He said that those 3 shops made him a millionaire
As you came out of the theaters, you would smell the orange drink & hot dogs produced by Wakely's snack bar just west of the Electric Theater. Wakely's was torn down, to be replaced by the Victory Cafe
Structure is now gone




WALDON'S RESTAURANT
427 Illinois Avenue

Structure is now gone




WANDER IN CAFE
6206 King Hill Avenue




WESTERN SIZZLIN STEAK HOUSE
LIN'S CHINA BUFFET
3137 Karnes Road

Structure was razed in 2014
A CVS Pharmacy is scheduled to be built on this site




WHITE BROTHERS CAFE
TARWATER HARDWARE
1817 Garfield Avenue

In later years was Tarwater Hardware
Structure is now gone




Circa 1939
Wickersham's Waffle Shoppe
118 North 9th Streeet





1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1946
Wickersham's Restaurant
Johnson's Junior Bootery
Smock Movie Rentals
Tattoo Parlor
Sturgis Leather
Deann Rene Dance Studio
2327 Frederick Avenue

F.W. Wickersham, who had operated cafes in St. Joseph for a number of years opened a waffle shop at 118 N. 9th in 1939
His business outgrew the small shop and so in 1940, he built another restaurant at the corner of 4th and Francis.
Having received his induction notice for the army, he sold out his business and then was not called up after all.
He then built this restaurant in 1946 and was in business here until he was forced to retire for health reasons.
Since that time, the store has been occupied by Johnsons Junior Bootery, a shoe store specializing in children's shoes.
In later years it was Johnsons Junior Bootery, a very popular shoe store for children
Tony and Donnetta Smock had a movie rental store here and also had one at 1321 South Belt, currently Westlakes parking lot
Sturgis Leather store sold leather apparel for a few years
In 2011, it became a tattoo parlor
In 2013 it was Deann Rene Studio of Dance
Photo #6 - 1984 News Press advertisement
Photo #4 submitted by Janice Johnson
Photo #7 - 1950 St Joseph News Press advertisement




Snow White1 Snow White2

Circa 1994
WINSTEAD'S STEAKBURGER
WALGREENS PHARMACY
Frederick Avenue & Belt Highway

The Snow White property was sold to Winsteads. Winstead's lasted a year or two, then it was torn down. Walgreens Drugs built a new drug store in it's place. In September 1999, Eckards Drugs built a new drug store across Frederick from Walgreens. Eckards closed and new CVS Pharmacy opened in their location






WITT BAKERY
1802 ST JOSEPH AVENUE




WOODY'S LUNCH
1620 Frederick Avenue

Structure is gone




1 2

WYATT CAFETERIA
930 North Belt

This was a short lived cafeteria with great foood
For some reason it just was not very popular
Photo - St Joseph News-Press newspaper article on the demolition of the building
Eckerds built a drug store at the location
It later became a CVS Pharmacy




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu