index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind


Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

LISTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER





TENDERLOIN SANDWICHES
WHERE TO BUY THEM

St Joseph is the Tenderloin Sandwich capital of the United States
Here is a list of places that serve them




1 2

5 GUYS BURGERS & FRIES
3700-3708 Frederick Avenue

Located in the East Hills parking lot at the southeast corner of Belt & Frederick
Orignally Howard Johnsons was here, which later became the Ground Round
In July 2012, after many years at this location, the Ground Round moved downtown at 6th & Edmond
The Ground Round on Frederick structure was demolished in 2012
A new building was constructed and houses 5 guys Burgers & Fries
It also houses other businesses, Sprint, a hair salon & Pancho Mexican Grill

Photo #1 - The new building
Photo #2 - The 5 Guys Menu




1 2 3 4

A & W ROOT BEER DRIVE-IN
4610 North St Joseph Avenue (275 Highway)

This A & W was located at 4610 North St Joseph Avenue (275 Highway)
This is all that remains of A & W Root Beer that was once located on north St Joseph Avenue
It is just the remnants of the old A & W Sign. The building is gone
Nothing is left but trees and shrubs remain plus the 2 concrete driveways

Photo #1 - All that remains where the A & W was located
Photo #2 - 1981 advertisement
Photo #3 - A & W Root Beer & Broasted Chicken advertisement
Photo #4 - An old advertisement before US 275 was called St Joseph Avenue






A & W DRIVE-IN
915 North Belt

In the early 1960's, there was a small A & W Drive-in located south of Frederick on the east side of the Belt Highway
A small gas station replaced the A & W there but it also is now gone
East Hills Animal Clinic later replaced the gas station
In 2012, Golden Corral replaced the animal clinic
There was once an A & W Root Beer Stand located inside East Hills Mall

Photo - An old A & W advertisement for 915 North Belt and 4610 North US Highway 275




1 2 3 4

A & W ROOT BEER
THIRS-T DRIVE-IN
BROASTED CHICKEN
HILLSIDE MOTORS
4129 King Hill Avenue

In 1960, this structure was listed as Thirs-T Drive-in resturant
The Thirs-T was a subsidiary of A & W Root Beer
It featured car hop service and their Broasted Chicken was the best in town
We lost a great place to eat when the Thirs-t closed
Another restaurant opened later at this location but didn't last long
Hill Side Motors currently occupies this location

Photo #1 - 1960's advertisement
Photo #2 - 1979 advertisement
Photo #3 - Hill Side Motors photo
Photo #4 - Being used for storage






ADA ROBERTS CHICKEN DINNER FARM
3041 South 22nd





Circa 1955
AIRPORT SKYLINER CAFE
Rosecrans Field

Aaron Morris, manager
Located at the Rosecrans Airport




AL Romig1 AL Romig2

AL ROMIG'S
1224 South 10th Street

No longer in business






AL'S CIRCLE W RESTAURANT
South 169 Highway & I-29

This was located across the highway from Al's Truck Stop on South 169 Highway
They had great food, it wasn't open very long before they tore the building down
Only a large empty lot remains today
Photo - 1970 St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement




ALTA'S DO-NUT & COFFEE SHOP
516 Jules Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

A City parking lot is now at this location




1 2 Maid-rite3

AMERICAN LEGION POST #11
120½ South 7th

Next door to each other were 2 of Missouri's largest American Legion Posts
Macdonald-Dugger-Duncan Post #11 (left) & Pony Express Post #359 (right)
The American Legion Post #11 burned down in 1991. It resided above Maid-Rite
This building no longer exists,a parking lot now consumes this space

Photo #1 - 1954 photo showing the marques of both American Legion Posts
Photo #2 - Post #11 St Joseph News-Press advertisement
Photo #3 - The current parking lot at this location






ANDREW'S CAFE
1222 South 6th Street

The Cafe was located inside the Andrew's Hotel
The hotel began as the Otten's European Hotel
Otten's European Hotel was known to be in operation in 1895
It was located across the street from Union Depot
In later years, it became the Union Depot Hotel & Cafe
It then became the Andrews Hotel and Andrew's Cafe
The building no longer exists




Circa 1955
ANGELO'S DRIVE-IN
605 Atchison

Spaghetti & Meat Balls, Steaks, Chops & Sandwiches
Structure is now gone






Circa 1955
ANN'S CAFE
414 South 7th Street
2512 Frederick Avenue

2512 Frederick Avenue (Just west of the Post Office)
Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes




ANN'S SANDWICH SHOP
1702 Mitchell







Circa 1976
ARCHIE'S CUPBOARD
1209 South Belt Highway

Archie's Cupboard opened in June 1976 at 1209 South Belt Highway
Dale R. Archdekin was the owner
The business was a restaurant and cocktail lounge with nostolgic furnishing from Hotel Robidoux. The chairs and tables came from the hotel as well as all of the ceiling fixtures
The Hotel Robidoux Pony Bar was sanded down and used also
Other furnishings which came from the hotel included wall plaques, decorative candles and the 1939 hotel restaurant menus
The restaurant seated 80 people
The restaurant burned on May 5, 1980 and some furnishings were saved




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

B & M DRIVE-IN RESTAURANT
GOODRICH DAIRY
JIMMY JOHNS
1040 South Belt Highway

This drive-restaurant was located on the west side of the Belt just north of Seneca

This was the home of the Rocking Rabbit

They offered car hop service and had great food

The B & M is best remembered for their large neon sign facing the Belt Highway, the sign was a red & blue lighted neon sign of a rabbit sitting in a rocking chair

I would really love to locate a photo of that sign

The structure was torn down and Goodrich Dairy built a new building on the site

Goodrich Dairy sold milk and ice cream items

Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches is currently in business at this location

Photo #1 - newspaper advertisement
Photo #3 - Lucky 13 coupon
Photo #3 - 1970 Newspaper advertisement
Photo #4 - newspaper ad regarding theft of car-hop trays
Photo #5 - Goodrich Dairy store
Photo #6 - Jimmy Johns Gourmet Sandwiches
Photo #7 - B&M Ordering/menu console
Photo #8 - B&M Ordering/menu console




BALDWIN HETSHEL CAFE
221 South 6th Street




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

BARBOSA'S MEXICAN RESTAURANTS
BARBOSA'S CASTILLO
906 Sylvanie
BARBOSA'S EAST
4804 Frederick Avenue

Barbosa's Castillo, located on the SE corner of 9th & Sylvanie
They come from all over the world for this great Mexican food
Entrance to the restaurant is in the rear where a parking lot exists
They currently have two locations, one downtown and one on Frederick Avenue

Photo #1 - old B&W photo
Photo #2 - View from 9th & Sylvanie
Photo #3 - An old Barbosa's menu Photo #4 - View from 9th Street
Photo #5 - Main dining room
Photo #6 - View from 9th Street
Photo #7 - Entrance in the rear and parking lot




BARNETT CAFE
1701 Garfield




BECKER'S
215 Felix




Beacon1 Beacon2 Beacon3

BEACON RESTAURANT
820 South Belt Highway

The Beacon was known also as "Chicken In The Rough"
The Beacon was located on the west side of the South Belt
The structure burned down and closed permanently in the mid 1960's




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

BEE WAYNE BAKERY
521 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal
2516 Mitchell
221 South 22nd

Bee Wayne bakery was once located on the northwest corner of 6th & Edmond

The downtown Bee Wayne sign is visible in photo #1

This is the only photo I have of Bee Wayne at this location

The downtown building no longer exists, it is currently a city parking lot
In the 1950 City Directory, Bee Wayne Bakery was listed at 2516 Mitchell

In 1935, 2518 Mitchell was Norris Drug Store and later became a Herman Drug Store

Bee Waynes was located on the west side of the drug store as photo #2 shows a bricked up wall and a doorway

The middle door is access to the apartment above

By 1960, the Bee Wayne bakery had moved to 221 South 22nd Street

It was one of St Joseph's most popular bakeries

John (Jake) Jacobs purchased the bakery building on South 22nd and converted into a garage to service his used cars and also served as his office for many years
Photo #7 - Gary Wilkinson standing in the lot south of Bee Waynes on 22nd Street




1 2

BELLON'S BAKERY
BURNSTEIN BAKERY
LEO'S BAKERY (CHRISTMAN)
KATHY'S KLOSET
2601 Lafayette


Located on the northeast corner of 26th & Lafayette Street
3 different bakeries have occupied this building over the years
Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2

BELLY OF THE WHALE
A UNIQUE 1960's COFFEE HOUSE
7th & Francis
10th & ROBIDOUX

The Belly of the Whale was first located in the basement of the Christ Episcopal Church at 7th and Francis Street

Larry Young was a singer in a folk trio called The Chantymen

The trio sang on The Belly of the Whale's opening night

November 22,1963, the day President Kennedy was assassinated

The group sang at the Belly Of The Whale five or six times

All three were students at St. Joseph Junior College at the time

College Art Professor, Fred Aas, was one the people that got the coffeehouse started

There were three or four other groups that sang that night as well as some poets that read some of their recent works. And one fellow performed on his bongo drums

After opening night, The Belly of the Whale was relocated to another basement room on the south side of the same Episcopal church. There was a sign and an access door off Francis Street

The song "Blow the Candle Out" is the song that they opened with at The Belly of the Whale

The Belly of the Whale was later relocated to Friendship Hall at 10th & ROBIDOUX

The Belly Of The Whale was a 3 year old idea of several St Joseph Churches and was undenominational in form

It was open on Friday nights to all college students for a donation of 50 cents

Like other coffee houses, the Belly of the Whale had an atmosphere all of it's own that was set by candlelight, burlap covered tables, grotesque abstractions painted on canvas wall hangings and pieces of modern art and sculptures

Within a couple minutes of opening at 8:30 pm,the college students began forming in small groups to sing folk songs, play cards or chess, or develope a controversial conversation with others

This unique coffee shop gave young adults the opportunity to express themselves

Photo #1 - November 1966 St Joseph Gazette newpaper photo
Photo #2 - Photo of Larry Young
Some of the above information was provided by Larry Young




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

BEN MAGOON'S
FAMOUS DELICATESSON
702 SOUTH 8TH
632 SOUTH 8TH

The original Site of Magoon's was located at 702 South 8th Street

The business was moved to 632 South 8th Street at a later date

Home of delicious rye bread sandwiches; such as scrappy beef or corned beef with slaw & kosher pickle, pickled eggs, pickled pigs feet, lots of different pickles, spices, kosher chilli and cheesecake

My mouth is watering

Barry Woodhall restored and reopened Ben Magoon's in January 2007

Photo #1 - 702 South 8th Street - as it looked on June 18, 1918
Photo #2 - Inside view early 1940's (L-R) Ben Rich, Harry Magoon, Ben Magoon
Photo #3 - 632 South 8th St - As it appeared in 2006
Photo #4 - Current 2011 photo at 632 South 8th
Photo #5 - Photo taken inside Magoons Nov. 15th, 1910
Photo #6 - Ben Magoons matchbook cover
Photo #7 - This is a 630-632 South 8th Ben Magoon's advertisement
Photos #8-10 taken by David Osgood in 2013




THE BELT HI-WAY
Belt Highway & Mitchell Avenue

Structure is now gone






Circa 1955
BENNY'S CAFE
1009 Mitchell Avenue

Genuine Italian Spaghetti & Meatballs
Benny Pecora
Structure is now gone




BERTY'S LUNCH
403 South 4th Street




1 2

BILELLO'S RESTAURANT
MAID-RITE
STURGIS LEATHER
3508 North Belt

It was located between North Belt McDonalds and the "Y" Motel
There have been numerous businesses at this address
Bilello's Restaurant specialized in Italian food
There was a Maid-Rite at 3508 North Belt Highway in the 1970's
Sturgis Leather also occupied the building




Circa 1955
BILL & BOB'S CAFE
2104 South Belt Highway

Structure is now gone



Circa 1955
BILL'S SUPPER CLUB
6705 Memorial Highway






Circa 1912
BISMARK CAFE
112 South 7th Street

Advertisement post card - Circa 1912




1 2 3

Circa 1988
HARLOW'S RESTAURANT
BLACK-EYED PEA RESTAURANT
EL MAGUEY MEXICAN RESTAURANT
2201 North Belt Highway

This was a Tennessee & Texas chain restaurant with many different dishes, unfortunately for some reason, they didn't last very long
After sitting empty for a few years, El Maguey Mexican Restaurant opened here and seems to be doing a great business




BLUE FRONT CAFE
213 Felix






BLUE MOON CAFE
Circa 1955
GIBSON's CAFE
916 Francis




BLUE ROSE CAFE
212 Francis




Circa 1955
BLUE TOWN CAFE
1004 South 10th Street




1 2

Circa 1955
BODE'S TRUCK STOP
& RESTAURANT
1710 South Belt Highway

This truck stop & restaurant was located on the west side of the Belt Highway between Mitchell & US 36

It was an all white building directly across from South Belt Pizza Hut, a car lot is now at that location

They had great food, I hated to see them close down
Photo #1 - Advertisement for their fried chicken
Photo #2 - A Bode's menu






BOND EXCHANGE RESTAURANT
4th & Jules Street

Reopened in 1982, no any furter details are known




BREEZEWAY TRUCK STOP
Highway 36
Elwood Kansas




BROOM'S CAFE
118 North 5th




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1899
BROWN BEAR TAVERN
2028 St Joseph Avenue

The Brown Bear Tavern was established in 1899 and is still in business in 2014

Photos #1 & 6 - submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photo #2 - Circa 1955 - submitted by Jeff Lewis
Photos #3-5 - taken in 2013 by David Osgood






Circa 1938
BROWN DERBY CAFE
514 Edmond
428 Edmond Street

Known to be located at 514 Edmond in 1938
Known to be located at 428 Edmond in 1953




BRUNER CAFE
309 Illinois




BRUNER'S CAFE
3601 Frederick Avenue






BRUNS PARK-IN RESTAURANT
1527 St Joseph Avenue




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Circa 1940's
BUCKET SHOP
5225 Lake Avenue

This combination resturant & tavern got it's name from serving beer in buckets
Located near the stock yards & packing houses, it once was a very thriving establishment
They were famous for their beefburgers which are still trying to be copied today
The Southgate at Alabama & King Hill has a very, very close replica of the once famous Bucket Shop Beefburger
The interior shot shows how the resturant side looked until the 1990's before it was remodeled by the new owner, Rusty Hurst
I don't have a picture of the tavern side when it was remodeled
When Rusty Hurst re-opened it, the beefburgers were very close to the original Bucket Shop beefburger except the bun was different
After Rusty Hurst closed the Bucket Shop was closed it sat empty for a few years
In 2004, Eric and Linda Ambrozi leased the Bucket Shop from Rusty Hurst. It was re-opened as Daddy O's, a combination biker bar and resturant
Eric passed away in Dec 2004 and the business was once again sold
In 2010, Boudreaux's Louisiana Sea Food & Steaks opened a restaurant in this building
Even though it was called the same name, it did not have the same menu as their downtown location
In 2011, the business closed and the building is once again empty
All of the old Bucket Shop exterior signs and details have now vanished wiping out all memories of a once great tavern

Photo #1 - The Bucket Shop as it appeared in the 1940's
Photo #2 - The Bucket Shop as it appeared in the 1980's
Photo #3 - The Bucket Shop as it appeared in the 1980's
Photo #4 - The main dining side - the bar side had wooden booths
Photo #5 - An old Bucket Shop advertisement
Photo #6 - A Bucket Shop ashtray
Photo #7 - A Bucket Shop Advertisement
Photo #8 - Bucket Shop birthday gift card
Photo #9 - Current condition of the old Bucket Shop building
Photo #10 - Bucket Shop's kitchen area, the young man is Tim
Photo #11 - Pete Chirila, owner of the Bucket Shop
Photo #12 - Original Bucket Shop advertisement
Photo #13 - The south side where the bar was located
Photos #14-20 - Bucket Shop menu




1 2

BURGER KING
Highland Ave & St Joseph Avenue

When the historic car barns that was built around the turn of the century were torn down, a Burger King was built on the site
Photo #1 was taken Aug 9, 2013




BURLINGTON BANNER CAFE
Florence Road & King Hill Avenue

Structure is now gone



1 2

BURNSTEIN BAKERY
817 South 8th

Tokens redeemable for a 5 cent loaf of bread
Burnstein Bakery made some great rye bread
I was never in the store but in the 1950's, my grandfather brought rye bread home from their bakery numerous times a week
The building still stands, St Joe Laser occupies the building




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1989
CABBAGE ROLL GERMAN RESTAURANT
2641 Lafayette

Want a unique dining experience? Try their Friday night buffet
Reservations are required, please call them at 816-233-4444
The buffet is open from 5 pm to 8 pm on Friday nights only
Coffee, tea and water are included with the buffet
It is owned and operated by 2 gentlemen of German descent
Larry Matt and Andy Halamar opened on Aug. 1, 1989
Both men come from German backgrounds
The restaurant has extensive German decor
Superb home cooked German and other cusines are served buffet style on Friday evenings
The Buffet is available only on Friday evenings from 5 pm to 8 pm by reservation only
Besides the buffet there is also a dessert section filled with homemade deserts
Besides the buffet there are usually other items on separate tables to look for
They serve sandwiches for lunch Monday-Friday from 11-2 PM
The Cabbage Roll is closed on Saturday and Sunday
Ask them for a copy of the buffet schedule, their buffets change every month
The building was once Gorman's Hy-Klas grocery store

Photo #1 - Cabbage Roll restaurant submitted by Terry McGinnis
Photo #2 - Cabbage Roll restaurant submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photo #3 - Example of a buffet menu July through September 2014
Photo #4 - Larry Matt and Andy Halamar, Owners of the Cabbage Roll
Photo #5 - Current photo of the entrance
Photo #6 - Business card with owner names
Photo #7 - The backside of the business card showing open schedule



Circa 1955
CALLAWAY TWIN CEDARS
US 36 Highway East




CALLIS CAFE
102 South 8th Street




CARDINAL DRIVE-IN
607 Atchison

The building is gone




Circa 1955
CHICKEN ON THE RUN
328 Francis

The building is gone






CHURCH'S CHICKEN
502 South Belt

This is the second Church's Chicken to open in St Joseph
The first one opened in the 1400 block of Frederick Avenue in the 1970's
The Belt Highway location opened in the 1980's and is still in operation in 2013
The Frederick Avenue location no longer is in business




CLARA'S RESTAURANT
119 South 4th




1 2 3

Circa 1953
CLARKIE'S NEW EDGEWOOD
BLOCK SOUTH JUNCTION 36 & 71 HIGHWAY

The buiding has been remodeled, currently is the US Bank
Raymond Clark - Proprietor




Circa 1955
CLEO'S STEAK HOUSE
Belt Highway




COFFEE SHOP
501 North 8th Street




Circa 1955
COMMERCIAL CAFE
1714 ½ Commercial

Structure is now gone






CORDONNIER'S PLACE
2221 South 4th

No longer in business, it closed a year or so ago
The building is still there
Photo submitted by Brooke Kickman




CORRAL DRIVE-IN
5106 King Hill Avenue




Cottage Grill1 Cottage Grill2 Cottage Grill3 Cottage Grill4

Circa 1955
COTTAGE GRILL CAFE
2612 St Joseph Avenue

In 1926, this was J.T. NORET MARKET
It later became BOWMAN'S GROCERY
In the 1960's it was the Cottage Grill
Numerous businesses have occupied this building since the Cottage Grill
Photo #1 - submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photo #4 - 1964 advertisement




Circa 1955
COTTAGE INN
1024 South 22nd Street




Circa 1955
CRISWELL CAFE
914 South 9th Street




CRANDALL'S CAFE
326 Edmond Street




COUNTRY COTTAGE
RFD 5




Criswell Cafe

CRISWELL CAFE
914 South 9th Street

Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes




Circa 1955
CRONER'S FOODS
629 South 8th Street




1 2

Circa 1998
CRUMBLY BURGER
2701 Frederick Avenue & Ashland Avenue

Known past occupants of this building are Ervin Standard Station, Don Smith Ashland Standard and Maid-Rite






COOKMAN LITHO PRINTING
SCHLITZ CAFE
CRYSTAL CAFE
119 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Located where Garland Tavern was once located




CRITERION TAVERN
1123 North 3rd




Dari-ette1 Dari-ette2

DARI-ETTE
1310 South Belt

The Dari-Ette was owned by PeeWee and Francis Pollard
After the Dari-ette closed, Connie Goodnight built a tavern at this location
Connie also owned the Fireside Inn further south on the Belt Highway
Unfortunately, Connie passed away but a tavern is still operating here




De-Lite Cafe

Circa 1955
DE-LITE CAFE
902 South 6th Street

Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3

DAIRY QUEEN
24th & MITCHELL

Pat Stark opened his first Dairy Queen store on St. Joseph Avenue in 1947
In 1949, he opened a second one on Mitchell Avenue
The Mitchell DQ was later moved across the street in 1957
The King Hill Dairy Queen location opened in 1956
The DQ stores are among 600 remaining walk-up window Dairy Queens in the United States
Mr. Stark passed away in 2005
Tom and Patricia Ashlock are the new current owners
They are wanting to sell the property in 2015 so they can relocate in another part of town




1 2

DAIRY QUEEN
KING HILL & MISOURI AVENUE

This Dairy Queen has been closed now for several years
Another business is currently occupying the building






DAIRY QUEEN
4105 South 169 Highway

This is the newest Dairy Queen, it built a few years ago
It is not a Brazier
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




Dairy Queen1 Dairy Queen2

DAIRY QUEEN
St Joseph Avenue & Green Street




1 2 3

DER WIENERSCHNITZEL
3630 Frederick Avenue

Many people probably don't remember Der Weinerschnitzel
In 1970, it resided on the Southwest corner of Belt & Frederick Avenue
It was a very short lived hot dog drive-in restaurant
It had a very bad location as their driveways were way too close to the Belt Highway intersection which made it really hard to exit the lot even back in 1970
You can still see the concret driveways on Frederick Avenue
With today's traffic, getting out would be close to impossible
If we had one today at a different location, I am sure it would be a big hit
Photo #1 - Feb 1970 newspaper advertisement




DECKER'S CAFE
917 South 10th Street




DICK'S COFFEE SHOP
1027 Mitchell Avenue

Structure is now gone




DIEHL CAFE
108 W Missouri




DINER CAFE
123 South 8th Street




1 2 3

DINKY DINER
1329 GARFIELD AVENUE

Located in South Park area across Garfield from the old Quaker Oats train yards
They chose a fitting name as it is indeed a dinky diner
They had great meals at reasonable prices
If you go for lunch, try the luncheon speacial and get there early, they are always packed and parking is limited
I have been informed that the Dinky Diner is no longer in business, it's now closed
Photo #1 - The Dinky Diner
Photo #2 - Dinky Diner advertisement




DINNER BELL
2205 Garfield




1 2 3 4 5

DOG N' SUDS DRIVE-IN
1401 South Belt Highway

Known for their creamy rootbeer and great hot dogs
Their ice cold rootbeer was served in a large glass mug without ice for 25 cents

Photo #1 - Dog n' Suds on the South Belt
Photo #2 - Dog n' Suds rootbeer mug
Photo #3 - Dog n' Suds Logo
Photo #4 - 1959 St Joseph newspaper advertisement
Photo #5 - Dog n' Suds on the South Belt - Looking north




1 2

DRIFTWOOD RESTAURANT
3005 Pear

Later became the Fraternal Order Of Police hall
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2

DUNKIN' DONUTS
3705 Frederick Avenue
1206 North Belt Highway

1975 newspaper advertisement for Dunkin' Donuts
Dunkin Donuts closed this location in 2013
Dunkin Donuts built a brand new store at 1206 North Belt Highway
They are now doing a better than ever business as they now have a drive-thru




EAGLE SANDWICH SHOP
607 Atchison

The building no longer exists




EDWARDS FOOD SHOP
1113 Frederick Avenue




EIGHTH STREET CAFE
620 South 8th Street




ELLIS CAFE
1526 South 6th




ELMER'S CAFE
1820 Olive




Circa 2016
EL MAGUEY MEXICAN RESTAURANT
4225 Commonwealth Court

This is a new Mexican restaurant that opened in 2016




1 2

EL RANCHO CAFE
6705 Memorial Highway

The building is gone
Photos - 1974 newspaper advertisements






Em CHAMAS BRAZILIAN GRILL
GROUND ROUND
South 6th Street

Em Chamas Brazilian Grill purchased the Eshelman Music structure, totally remodeled it and was open for business in July 2010

With the remodeling, it was now a beautiful building inside and out

Em Chamas Brazilian Grill closed, hoping to move to 7th & Edmond in the old Herman's building, it never reopened as of January 27, 2015

The Ground Round restaurant moved from it's East Hills location to this building in 2013

A waitress told me their business has increased considerably since their move

Photo - Em Brazilian Grill before the Ground Round purchased the building




EMMETT'S MITCHELL AVENUE INN
Mitchell Road

3 Miles east of the Belt on Mitchell Road
The building no longer exixts




ETHELS'S CAFE
Belt Highway & Angelique

Structure is now gone




EXCHANGE LUNCH STAND

Located inside of the Live Stock Exchange Building




FARMER'S CAFE
516 South 6th Street

Structure is now gone




Circa 1955
FARRIS CAFE
619 Edmond Street




Downtown1 Downtown2 Downtown3

FEDERAL BAKE SHOP
701 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This was the Schneider Buiilding, it was constructed in 1887
The was razed on May 28, 1975 during Urban Renewal

Photos submitted by Dave Sietzen




1 2 3 4

FLASH TAVERN
CARMEN'S TAVERN
DALE'S INN
THE HIPPOPOTAMUS
3735 So 11th Street Road

The Flash Tavern opened back in the 1950's and after numerous taverns occupying the building, it was torn down in the late 1970's or early 1980's
It was a small tavern located on the south side of 11th Street Road, just west of 16th Street
The building in now gone, just an empty field




FLETCHALL CAFE
2620 St Joseph Avenue




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1955
FLORA'S CAFE
1310 South 6th


Flora's Cafe was on the south end of a block across from Union Depot (photo #7)
The block had a hotel, drug store, barber shop with baths & a saloon
A BATHS sign can be seen in photo #4
Barber poles are in front of Flora's, it may have previously been a barber shop
The Flora's Cafe structure is the only remaining structure in 2013
Some photos submitted by Rodney Keyes




FLORENA CAFE
500 E Florence Road

Structure is now gone




FOLEY CAFE
Buchanan County Court House

Room #15 in the Court House



F'onlenelle Club

1 2

Circa 1941
F'ONLENELLE CLUB
SOUTH US 169
(Half mile east of Belt Highway)




1 2

FORD'S DRIVE-IN
MAID-RITE
CABANA GRILL
2131 St Joseph Avenue




1 2

FORD'S DRIVE-IN RESTAURANT
5828 Lake Avenue

Photo #1 submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2

FREDDYS FROZEN CUSTARD
& STEAKBURGERS
210 North Belt Highway

Currently under construction December 2014
It is scheduled to be open sometime in early 2015
It will be located just north of the Belt Bowling building




FRIENDLY CAFE
1004 South 10th
203 South 3rd

Located at 1004 South 10th in 1947
Located at 203 South 3rd in 1960




FROG HOP INN
Belt Highway & Pickett Road

Structure no longer exists




FROSTY TREET DRIVE-IN
401 East Hyde Park




1 2 3


GALVIN'S DINNERHOUSE
6802 South 22nd

Galvin's serves great home cooked chicken dinners by reservation only
A fire nearly destroyed Galvin's Dinner House in 2011 and it closed
The iconic restaurant has since been restored and reopened in May 2013

Here is a good review of Galvin's that I found on the Internet:
Not many people know about this unusual restaurant, and its devotees prefer it that way. The restaurant started out as a gas station back in 1940, doing a brisk business selling baskets of fried chicken to locals and bus passengers along Highway 372 en route to Kansas City. Over the years, the chicken stand has turned into a genteel, old-fashioned dining venue now operated by Bill Grace, who literally grew up working here. The specialty is still pan-fried chicken dinners, though there are steaks and pecan-crusted trout, all served family style with soup, salad, muffins, corn, green beans and freshly baked bread. These reasonably priced dinners include a few desserts, but the most famous is a square of baked fudge, which is now ala carte. Like everything else in this quaint little joint, it is well worth it
- Charles Ferruzza


Galvin's Dinner House hours:
5 to 8:30pm, Tuesday thru Saturday; noon to 5pm on Sundays
Photo #2 - 1957 Advertisement
Photo #3 - Another old advertisement




GARDNER CAFE
517 Jules Street

Structure no longer exists




GARLISH'S CAFE
2137 St Joseph Avenue

Structure no longer exists




Circa 1955
GAY NINETIES
1412 North 4th Street






Circa 1955
GEE WHIZ CAFE
2512 Frederick Avenue




1 2

GENEO'S PIZZA
807-811 Francis

In 1924, Giuseppe "Joe" Manganaro owned & operated an Italian market advertising fancy meats and groceries

It was called Melrose Market located at 807 Francis

In the early 1930's, Mr Manganaro moved his grocery store to 909 Frederick Avenue

Currently, half of Geneo's Pizza occupies the address where the market once stood

As you can in the photos, the front facial & doorways are the same with some modifications

Photo #2 is a current photo of Geneo's Pizza
Photo #1 & information submitted by Jeff Soto, Joe Manganaro's great grandson




GENEVA'S CAFE & SERVICE
602 South 4th




Circa 1955
GIBSON'S CAFE
916 Francis Street





GLASS HOUSE SANDWICH SHOP
2137 St Joseph Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Gold-N-Glaze Donuts
1823-1825 Frederick

St Joseph's oldest, most popular and still operating donut shop
Still in business in 2014 (but with a temporary closing)
In late 2014, the current owners & operators: Mr & Mrs Robert (Bob) Sullwold sold out
Kendall Randolph has purchased the Gold-N-Glaze building, the recipes and the name
Mr Randolph is doing a total restoration of the structure, even the neon sign
He is hoping to re-open mid-January 2015 as Gold-N-Glaze Donuts and Coffee Shop
Photos #4,5 and 6 were taken the last day they were open in 2014




1 2

Circa 1955
GORDON'S 420 RESTAURANT
420 Francis




Grand Cafe

GRAND CAFE
519 EDMOND




GREEN GRILL CAFE
518 South 6th Street

Structure is no longer exists




1 2 3 4 5

GREEN TREE HOTEL
GREEN TREE TAVERN
GREEN TREE COFFEE SHOP & NITE CLUB
701-703 South 6th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The 1953 City Directory lists a Green Tree Hotel at 701 South 6th

The Green Tree Tavern, Nite Club and Cafe was located at 703 South 6th

It was owned by Virgil Townsend

As visible on the cafe window, it was operated by Ethel Chaney

To the right was another business called A-Rite Meats

The meat company was run by Johnnie Roskey

Guys Potato Chip Warehouse was located to the left of the Green Tree

Photo #3 - on the left is Mary Townsend, Leona Townsend is on the right

Photo #4 - inside of the cafe, the lady on the left is Ethel Chaney

Pat Townsend remembered that you go to end of the cafe counter to a hallway that could enter the bar or night club

Check out the food prices

Photo #1 - the entire block is now an empty lot with trees
Photo #2 - a great photo of the establishment
Photo #3 - Interior view of tavern
Photo #4 - Interior view of cafe
Photo #5 - Virgil Townsend Trade Token
B&W photos & info were submitted by Butch and Dea Allen




1 2

GRIFF'S HAMBURGERS
724 N BELT

I don't remember this place - anyone remember it?
Bank Midwest built a new bank this address, the original structure is gone
Griff's Hamburgers is a regional fast food chain founded in 1960 by Griff's of America, Inc. of Kansas City, Missouri




GRILLETTE
1820 Frederick Avenue




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

GROUND ROUND
3700-3708 Frederick Avenue
6th & Edmond
5 GUYS BURGERS & FRIES
3700 Frederick Avenue

Once located on the SE corner of Belt & Frederick in the East Hills parking lot
The original structure was built for Howard Johnsons
After Howard Johnsons moved out, it became the Ground Round
Ground Round moved downtown to 6th & Edmond in July 2012
The move downtown to a larger & newer building was a great move
The Ground Round has plenty of room now for dinner parties
Ground Round's old structure was demolished in 2012
A new building was built where the old Ground Round once stood
Currently occupying the new building are 5 guys Burgers & Fries, a hair salon, Sprint and a Mexican sandwich shop

Photo #1 - Ground Round at Belt & Frederick Avenue location
Photo #2 - Ground Round at Belt & Frederick Avenue location
Photo #3 - Ground Round Sign at Belt & Frederick Avenue location
Photo #4 - Ground Round Sign at Belt & Frederick Avenue location
Photo #5 - 2012 Ground Round demolition photo
Photo #6 - 2013 photo of Ground Round new building at 6th & Edmond
Photo #7 - 5 Guys Burger & Fries new building
Photo #8 - 5 Guys Menu
Photo #9 - Ground Round at Belt & Frederick Avenue location
Photo #10 - 2012 Razing of the Ground Round
Photo #11 - 2012 Razing of the Ground Round
Photo #12 - 2012 Razing of the Ground Round
Most photos donated by Marcia Hayes






GUS & VERA'S PARADISE CAFE
5104 King Hill Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3

HALL'S "Y" CAFE
3510 North Belt Highway

New photos submitted by Rodney Keyes






HANSEN'S WAFFLE SHOP
109 North 9th




HAPPY HOUR
1506 South 4th Street




HAPPY'S CAFE
228 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal





1 2

Circa 1968
HAROLD'S GRILL
MAID-RITE SANDWICH SHOP
GARRETTS GRILL
USA MOTORS
1201 Garfield Avenue

This small building once housed Harold's grill
It is known to have been Harold's from 1968 to 1979 for certain
In 1980 there was a Maid-Rite in this building (see photo #1)
Charlie Kurtz, the owner of the Maid-Rites at the time, was running this one
I was working for Frito-Lay at the time and would stop in to eat something
USA Motors, used cars sales, occupied the building the last time I looked




HARDY MAUN RESTAURANT
612 Edmond




Downtown1 Downtown2 Downtown3

HARLEM HOTEL
215 Francis Street

This was the Harlem Hotel, restaurant and bar
It was located at 215 Francis
Many years before it was known as the Saxton Hotel
St Joseph Paper Box purchased the building and had it torn down




Hatfield Cafe

HATFIELD SANDWICH SHOP
2030 Frederick Avenue

This was small cafe attached to the east side of Hatfield Hardware
They served a very good breakfast back in the 1960's




1 2

HAWKINS SERVICE STATION, MOTEL & CAFE
Valley & Memorial Highway

They were OPEN 24 HOURS daily
Hawkins Cafe served superb meals around the clock for many years
When they closed up the building was demolished
Only the gas station remains today
Photo #1 submitted by Rodney Keyes



!-------------------start------------->

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

HEINIE'S STEAK HOUSE
520 South Belt Highway

Heinie's was the first family restaurants on the Belt Highway
Heinie's was one of St Joseph's finest resturants
They were known for their fabulous steak and BBQ rib dinners
It was located on the northwest corner of Belt Highway and Messanie Street
In 1989 or 1990, it was replaced by a BBQ Restaurant
Later an auto parts store was built on the location which is still currently there
In photo #3, Ziph's Car Wash can be seen in the background

Photo #1 - The original Heinie's Steak House
Photo #2 - The replacement of Heinie's Steak House
Photo #3 - The original Heinie's Steak House
Photo #4 - The original Heinie's Steak House
Photo #5 - Page 1 of News-Press article on Heinie's Steak House history
Photo #6 - Page 2 of News-Press article on Heinie's Steak House history
Photo #7 - Moving Heinies in the 1970's when the Belt was widened



1 2 Parkway3 Parkway4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

HENRY'S HAMBURGERS
PARKWAY BROASTED CHICKEN
28th & LOCUST
2131 ST JOSEPH AVENUE
BELT & MITCHELL
5028 LAKE AVENUE

Originally, Henry's had 3 locations:
Belt & Mitchell, 5028 Lake Avenue & 2131 St Joseph Avenue

As you can see, their menu included hamburgers, tenderloins, french fries and many other items that were delicious and very affordable

The newest Henry's Hamburger was located on South Noyes Boulevard, just south of the railroad overpass at 28th & Locust. It was built in the early 1960's, replacing a very small gas station that once stood at that location

The overhead railroad overpass and track nearby were removed in the 1990's. Some years later, a Speedy's gas station & convenience store was built very close to the location - an empty lot remains today where Henry's once sat at 28th & Locust

Two of the Henry's structures are still in use today, Ford's on Lake Avenue & Cabana on St Joseph Avenue

Photo #1: The original Henry's menu, Mitchell Avenue Henry's was the first to close
Photo #2: The newest Henry's Hamburger was located on South Noyes Boulevard
Photo #3: Parkway Broasted Chicken replaced Henry's at the South Noyes location
Photo #4: The railroad overpass existed for many years until removed some years ago
Photo #5: An April 1968 Henry's newspaper advertisement displaying their menu
Photo #6: Ford's Drive-in at 5028 Lake Avenue
Photo #7: Cabana Grill at 2131 St Joseph Avenue
Photo #8: Empty lot where Henry's & Parkway once stood
Photo #9: The new Speedy Gas & Convenient Mart
Photo #10: The only remaining part of the old railroad overpass
Photo #11: Henrys Hamburger sign
Photo #12: 1973 photo of one of the Henry's






HOB-NOB SANDWICH SHOP
105 North 10th Street




HOLCOMB CAFE
303 Illinois




HOME CAFE
2324 South 6th Street

Structure no longer exists




HOME CAFE
106 North 2nd




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

HOOF & HORN STEAKHOUSE & LOUNGE
429 Illinois Avenue

The Hoof & Horn Restaurant is located in what once was the Stockyard area
They are famous for their steaks
Word on the street in 2015 is the restaurant is for sale
In photo #9, a small structure can be seen on the far side of the tracks. This was an entrance to a pedestrian tunnel that went beneath the railroad tracks so stock yard workers did not need to wait for the trains to pass
The tunnel was removed due to water and rodent infestion

Photo #1 - 1910 photo of the Hoof & Horn
Photo #2 - Modern photo of the Hoof & Horn
Photo #3 - Current photo of Hoof & Horn bar
Photo #4 - Modern photo of the Hoof & Horn
Photo #5 - Modern photo of the Hoof & Horn
Photo #6 - Old photo of the Hoof & Horn bar
Photo #7 - Recent photo taken by David Osgood
Photo #8 - Recent photo taken by David Osgood
Photo #9 - 1930's photo of the Hoof & Horn
Photo #10 - Hoof & Horn's bar




Hotel Robidoux1 Hotel Robidoux2

HOTEL ROBIDOUX COFFEE SHOP
PONY EXPRESS BARN LOUNGE
5th & Francis
Demolished during Urban Renewal




Black Angus Room Black Angus Room

HOTEL ROBIDOUX BLACK ANGUS ROOM
5th & Francis
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Once located inside Hotel Robidoux on the northwest corner of 5th & Francis, this outstanding supper club featured jumbo sirloin steaks, lobster, and other fine foods. My very first job began here. In 1959, a freshman in high school, I worked part-time here as a bus boy & dishwasher at the rate of 50 cents per hour
The hotel was razed during Urban Renewal




HOT HAMBURGER LUNCH
403 South 6th




1 2

HUNAN CHINESE RESTAURANT
3601 Faraon
409 North 36th Street

This is their 2nd location, the restaurant was previously located at 3601 Faraon
The new restaurant has been in existence since the late 1980's
Photo #1 - 3601 Faraon
Photo #2 - 409 North 36th Street




HYLINER COCKTAIL LOUNGE
1210 South 6th




IDEAL CAFE
108 West Missouri




1 2

il Lazzarone Napolitan Pizzaria
1628 Frederick

Reliable Radiator was in this building for many years
In 2014, il Lazzarone Napolitan Pizzaria opened for business in this location






LITTLE KING
1106 South Belt





Circa 1955
IRENE'S JUNCTION INN
RFD 4




JACKSON CAFE
4230 North 275 Hwy
(St Joseph Ave)




JAMES CAFE
232 Packers Avenue




JAMIE'S ROYAL CAFE
9th & Mitchell Avenue






JENNILEE'S SANDWICH SHOP
3 SISTERS CAFE
AMERICAN FIRE EXTENGUISHER SERVICE
2101 South 11th Street

This restaurant was located on the southeast corner of 11th & Pacific
It was across the street from the Safeway store
After Jennilee's Sandwitch Shop closed it became 3 Sisters Cafe
American Fire Extinguisher service is currently in the building
Photo & information submitted by Dave Martin




Pioneer Hotel1 Pioneer Hotel2 Pioneer Hotel3 Pioneer Hotel4

JESSEE JAMES HOTEL COFFEE SHOP
224-226 North 3rd
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Originally built in the 1860's as the Beacon Hotel
It then became the Woodland Hotel, then Jesse James Hotel
Within the hotel was the Jesse James Coffee Shop
The building was demolished in 1972 in order to make another parking lot for Wyeth Company






JEROME GORDON'S CAFE
420 Francis Street

The was previously Lee Broom Restaurant
Structure is now gone




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Circa 1930
JERRE-ANNE CAFETERIA
2640 Mitchell

Jerre-Anne Cafeteria was located at 26th & Mitchell and had served a great homemade dinner and fabulous homemade pasteries since it opened in 1930

Their homemade pies were the best in town, they sold them both wholesale and retail

Jerre-Anne was more than just another restaurant. It was a piece of St. Joseph history

Jerre Anne was one of the oldest restaurants in St. Joseph when it closed in July 2008

It began as a delicatessen that was owned and operated by two sisters: Afra Stolz Lineberry and Frances Carolus

The sisters began by just offering cool refreshments to the trolley drivers and their passengers, since the trolley's route ended on the corner in front of Jerre-Anne

The Jerre-Anne was named after Frances' two daughters, Geraldine "Jerre" Carolus Lawhon and Anne Carolus Benitz

In July 2008, Jerre-Anne closed it's door and went out of business. As of April 2016, the building still sits empty

Photo #1 - Looking west, 2009 photo
Photo #2 - Old photo of entrance
Photo #3 - Jerre-Anne sign
Photo #4 - St Joseph News-Press article
Photo #5 - Winter east view of entrance
Photo #6 - Cakes, Pies and pastries for sale
Photo #7 - Cafeteria foods for sale
Photo #8 - Overview of interior
Photo #9 - Overview of interior
Photo #10 - Cafeteria foods for sale
Photo #11 - food & dining areas
Photo #12 - food & dining areas
Photo #13 - the west dining area
Photo #14 - August 2,1930 opening adv





Circa 1919
JOHN JOSEPH CAFE
JOHN JOSEPH RESTAURANT
415 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This was a small cafe located at 415 Edmond
The cafe was built in 1919
They offered hamburgers for 25 cents and you could get a soda for 5 cents
All of the buildings on the north side of this block of Edmond Street became one large parking lot during Urban Renewal
Listed as John Joseph Restaurant in 1953 city directory




JOHNNIE'S EAT SHOP
2603 St Joseph Avenue




1 2 3 4 5

JOHNNY FRY'S RESTAURANT
BOUDREAU'S LOUISANA SEAFOOD & STEAKS
224 North 4th

This building has been fully restored and modified as a restaurant

The entire 200 block of North 4th Street was once known as "Wholesale Row"

Per the 'Downtown St Joseph Walking Tour' booklet, the warehouse buildings were built in the early 1880s
The R L McDonald and Co occupied the Boudreaux building on the corner
They sold dry goods, notions, and gent's furnishings until 1920
The booklet goes on to say that 'Wholesale Row' is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

I remember a pawn shop occupying this building before it was Johnny Fry's

It later became Johnny Fry's Restaurant

In January 2001, Robert Boudreau opened his restaurant here

Mr Boudreau passed away February 2014

It is still open for business in 2014 and serves great seafood & steak meals

Photo #1 - Refurbished building front
Photo #2 - Photo of Robert Boudreaux
Photo #3 - Interior view of Boudreux restaurant
Photo #4 - 2014 photo of Boudreux restaurant
Photo #5 - Boudreux's bar





JOHNNY'S GRILL
221 South 6th






JOHNSON'S CAFE
KATHY'S KITCHEN
AVENUE CAFE
4230 St Joseph Avenue

No longer in business
Photo taken in 2013 by Rodney Keyes




JOHNSTON'S CAFE
523 South 4th Street

Structure is now gone




1 2 3

JOHN VASSOS RESTAURANT
MODERN LUNCH
302-304 South 6th Street

In 1949, this was John Vassos Restaurant
In 1958, it was Modern Lunch
Modern Lunch was located on the SW corner of 6th & Charles

Photo #1 - Modern Lunch in the 1960's
Photo #2 - 1943 photo of Modern Lunch
Photo #3 - Circa: 2012 view of the lot




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

JUDY'S D & G TAVERN & RESTAURANT
1918 Frederick Avenue

This was once the home of a a fine restaurant and bar

Every wall was loaded with old time photos and memorbilla

My parents would take me to the D&G some 62 years ago, over the years there had been some minor changes

Such as removal of the bowling game machine I loved to play

The manager/owner, Pete Miner, finally retired and sold the business

I don't remember how long the new D&G was open, but it didn't last very long

They held an auction for all of the antique memorbilla and fixtures and closed the doors forever

In April 2012, Napolis Italian restaurant purchased the D&G and moved from their downtown location

They appeared to be doing great. They had the best Italian dishes in town

However due to financial problems they closed their doors in 2013

As of 2013, the D&G structure is once again for sale




JUNCTION EAT SHOP
309 Illinois

Structure is now gone




JUNCTION CAFE
South 169 Highway




KACKLEY'S KITCHEN
1236 Calhoun




KATHY'S CAFE
2801 St Joseph Avenue

Structure is now gone




KELLEY CAFE
423 Illinois




1 Anderson2

KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN
22nd & Francis
St Joseph Avenue & Middleton
206 South Belt Highway

Northwest corner of 22nd & Francis was the 1st location to open in St Joseph, several other eating businesses have occupied the building since
St Joseph & Middleton, currently occupied by Taco Bandito
Hiskey Brothers Standard service station previously occupied the building prior to KFC
206 South Belt Highway, Pasquales Pizzaria occupied the bottom floor, a mattress company later occupied the KFC in the upper floor
Several businesses have occupied the building since
Photo #2 - St Joseph Avenue & Middleton location




KINDER'S GLASSHOUSE
2137 St Joseph Avenue




1 2 3 4

KING'S FOOD HOST
619 North Belt Highway

King's Food Host was in business from 1968-1974
It's duration in St Joseph is unknown, I don't remember it
Photo #2 is a 1970 newspaper advertisement
Photo #3 is a 1974 newspaper advertisement




KING HILL DRIVE-IN CAFE
3701 King Hill Avenue

The structure no longer exists






Circa 1916
KINNAMAN'S RESTAURANT
618 Edmond
714 Edmond

Moved to 714 Edmond
No idea what the key was for




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1890
KLEINBRODT RESTAURANT, BAR AND LOUNGE
FISH & GUN CLUB
US Highway 36 & Asylum Road

A triving business from 1890 to 1955 that was located outside of St Joseph on old highway 36 right next to the 102 river
The building was razed in 1977
The structure and any related features are totally gone

Photo #1 - Advertisement
Photo #2 - 1977 newspaper photo
Photo #3 - 1947 advertisement
Photo #4 - Kleinbrodt placemat
Photo #5 - Advertisement
Photo #6 - 1977 razing of the building




1 2

KODRAK'S CAFE
HYDE VALLEY CAFE
6211 King Hill Avenue




KOZY KORNER
325 Felix Street




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

KRIS & KATE'S
OLD FASHIONED ICE CREAM
2330 NORTH 36th
(Belt Highway & 36th Street)

Located on the West Side of North Belt Highway & North 36th Street intersection
During the summer months, this is a popular Ice Cream & Hot Dog spot
1950s & 60s music is played during open hours
Harley Davidson and Elvis Presley are commemorated
Photo #1 submitted by Terry McGinnis





KWIK KARRY OUT
2618 Messanie
2201 Olive Street
2603 St Joseph Avenue

In 1960 there was 3 locations
HOME OF THE 15 CENT HAMBURGER






3 SISTERS CAFE
La CRUZITA MEXICAN RESTAURANT
MITCHELL DINER
1502 Mitchell

Sometime in the 1970's this was the 3 Sisters Cafe
When the 3 Sisters Cafe closed, they moved to 2101 South 11th Street
Between 1989 & 1990, the La Crusita Mexican Restaurant opened at this location
We weren't impressed as it took 45 minutes to be waited on, we did not return
After the La Crusita closed, it reopened as a regular family restaurant, the Mitchell Diner
Mitchell Diner later moved to 16th & Penn replacing Pony Express Smokehouse BBQ
By 2000, the building appeared to have been abandoned
2012 Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




LAKEVIEW DRIVE-IN
6106 Lake Avenue

Structure is now gone




LAST ROUNDUP
1810 St Joseph Avenue






LEE BROOM RESTAURANT
420 Francis

This restaurant was located at 420 Francis
It would later become the Jerome Gordon's Cafe



1 2 3

LEO'S CASTLE ON THE HILL CAFETERIA
325 Francis
Circa 1951

Photos - 1951 newspaper advertisements for Leo's "Castle On The Hill" restaurant




LEO'S GOOD EATS
4th & Francis Street

Structure is now gone




Circa 1955
LEONARD'S CAFE
314 East Hyde Park




1 2 3 4

Les's Chicken Royal Restaurant
2701 S. Belt

The restaurant was locatated at 2701 S. Belt, the owner was M. Leslie Ellis
It used to be where the bank is now located, on the southeast corner of Belt Highway & Pickett Road

Does anyone have any photos or information about Les'? It was one of the neatest restaurants and had some of the best dining in town. Their French Onion soup was scrumptious. As I remember, the decor was set Mediterranean style

Description from Irene Lieffring who used to work at Les':
When Les' started in business he specalized in pan fried chicken. Later he started serving steaks. He had the best prime rib in town and when you ordered the large cut you got a LARGE cut. There was the lounge and there was the fireside room which was more family orentated. Before your meal was served you received a hot kettle of soup, salad, and a small loaf of bread on a cutting board. It was a great place to work







LITTLE CAESARS PIZZA
Ashland Avenue & Karnes Road

Originally, this was Dick Brothers Service 4 stall garage
Little Casesars bought the property and modified it in 2013
It was a major improvement, a great move for Little Caesars
Photo - 2013 photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




LITTLE CHEF
115 North 8th




LOIS' RESTAURANT
Belt & Y Highway




LOUIE'S CAFE
411 Francis




LUCAS CAFE
1706 Commercial




LUCKY THREE SANDWICH SHOP
902 South 8th





PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu