(Circa 1888, Eckel and Mann)|
Contributing building for:
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
Warehouse/Light Manufacturing Facility. Romanesque Revival.
Five story brick building with elaborate terra cotta organic motifs
characteristic of the Romanesque Revival style. Terra cotta used on corner spandrel of
first story, capitals of fourth story, and along parapet. Central parapet inscribed "C.D.
Smith, 1888" in terra cotta. Fanciful terra cotta animal figures on southwest corner on
second, fourth, and parapet stories. Front facade dominated by arcade of monumental round
arches stretching from the first to second stories and wrapping around corner to the
Windows on front elevation rectilinear; those on south and east set under
segmental arches. Sheathing covers top of arcading and two-thirds of windows, but
openings maintained; fourth story with 6/2 sash and fifth story with 4/1 sash. Covered
concrete loading dock in the southeast corner; metal platform fire-escape on south
Two story historic wing connected on north elevation; brick pilasters with
corbeling separate wing into three bays. First story with three wood garage doors, second
story with two blocked windows per bay set in segmental arched openings; parapet roof
above cornice; painted sign "C.D. Smith Drug Co." between stories.
This building, built in 1888, is one of St Joseph's oldest and most beautiful buildings that is still standing.
Look at the beautiful sculpturing
The C.D. Smith & Company was founded in St. Joseph in 1859 with Abram Nave and James McCord (Nave & McCord Company partners) as co-partners and also with Dudley M. Steele and Charles Daniel Smith, the latter of which was the company’s manager.
The company was originally a grocery wholesale business, but later became a drug store in 1886.
Amazingly, the company remained in the Smith family for 133 years until it was bought by company employees in 1992.
C.D. Smith Healthcare was acquired by AmeriSource Health Corporation in 1999
CD Smith Drug Company moved into a new building in Mitchell Park
The building has been unoccupied since the move
Photos #12 & 13 were submitted by Chantel Mace taken after the Nave & McCord fire on October 21, 2016
The remains of the Nave & McCord building can be seen in the bottom left of photo #13
Thi8 landmark calibre building was constructed in 1888 for the C. D. Smith Drug Co.
which is still located here. The architectural firm, Eckel and Mann, which designed
this outstanding example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style, designed many of St.
Joseph's finest structures. The attached warehouse to the north was constructed in
1904; its cost listed on the building permit was '5,500.