Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE: Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind


LISTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER



1 2

BELLY OF THE WHALE
A UNIQUE 1960's COFFEE HOUSE
7th & Francis
10th & ROBIDOUX

The Belly of the Whale was first located in the basement of the Christ Episcopal Church at 7th and Francis Street

Larry Young was a singer in a folk trio called The Chantymen

The trio sang on The Belly of the Whale's opening night

November 22,1963, the day President Kennedy was assassinated

The group sang at the Belly Of The Whale five or six times

All three were students at St. Joseph Junior College at the time

College Art Professor, Fred Aas, was one the people that got the coffeehouse started

There were three or four other groups that sang that night as well as some poets that read some of their recent works. And one fellow performed on his bongo drums

After opening night, The Belly of the Whale was relocated to another basement room on the south side of the same Episcopal church. There was a sign and an access door off Francis Street

The song "Blow the Candle Out" is the song that they opened with at The Belly of the Whale

The Belly of the Whale was later relocated to Friendship Hall at 10th & ROBIDOUX

The Belly Of The Whale was a 3 year old idea of several St Joseph Churches and was undenominational in form

It was open on Friday nights to all college students for a donation of 50 cents

Like other coffee houses, the Belly of the Whale had an atmosphere all of it's own that was set by candlelight, burlap covered tables, grotesque abstractions painted on canvas wall hangings and pieces of modern art and sculptures

Within a couple minutes of opening at 8:30 pm,the college students began forming in small groups to sing folk songs, play cards or chess, or develope a controversial conversation with others

This unique coffee shop gave young adults the opportunity to express themselves

Photo #1 - November 1966 St Joseph Gazette newpaper photo
Photo #2 - Photo of Larry Young
Some of the above information was provided by Larry Young






Agape Love Lighthouse Assembly
2500 S. 11th

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Ashland United Methodist Church
Ashland & Gene field Road

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Ayr Lawn Friendly Church
3809 E. Ayr Lawn Drive

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Berean Fundamental Church
1220 Henry

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Bethel Temple
Third Day Christian Fellowship
1701 Jules St

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Bible Baptist Temple
5401 Mitchell
(Mitchell & Riverside Road)

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






B'Nal-Yaakov Temple
615 S. 10th St

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




#1 #2

Brookdale Presbyterian Church
203 S. 31st St.

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Carnegie Baptist Church
6520 Carnegie

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Central Assembly Of God
1222 North 18th St

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Central Christian Church
1501 North Leonard Rd

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2

Christ Episcopal Church
201 North 7th St

Photo #1 submitted by Michael Miller
Photo #2 submitted by Rodney Keyes






Church Of Christ
1102 North 20th St

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Church Of God
1124 N. 18th Street

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Church Of God
Iglesia De Dios Puerta Del Cielo Church
2424 St Joseph Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Church Of God
314 West Valley

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




Church Of God

Church Of God
Evangelistic Temple
5401 King Hill Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Clair United Methodist Church
2 Southeast 68th Road

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Community Christian Church
2009 Mason Road

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Community Presbyterian Church
5409 St Joseph Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




Copeland Baptist Church Copeland Baptist Church

Copeland Baptist Church
2602 South 18th St

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Corby Chapel
Amazonia Road

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






County Line Church of Christ
2727 County Line Road

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Christian Science Society
714 Felix

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Crossing Outreach Ministry
South 8th Street

This was Max Phillips final grocery store
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Cross Point Community Church
4803 St. Joseph Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




curtain2 grocery curtain grocery

Curtin Grocery
Unknown Church
801 North 6th St

Originally a grocery store, later became a church, the minister was Vivian White
There aren't any signs but the cross above the door remained
As of 2014, the building appears to be boarded up and abandoned
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






East Hills Church of Christ
3912 Penn

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Eastside Baptist Church
2400 North Belt Highway

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Ebenezer Grant AME Church
2115 Felix St

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Emmanuel Evangelical Church
First Church of the Nazarene
Latterday Saints
12th & Lafayette

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Faith United Church of Christ
3025 Karnes Road
Circa 1967

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Faith Valley Church of God
2002 Mason Road

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Family Worship Center
12293 John Glenn Road

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Far West Mission Center
5124 Faraon

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






First Baptist Church
1225 Francis St

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






First Baptist Mount Union Church
4604 King Hill Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






First Christian Church
10th & Edmond

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






First Christian Church
927 Faraon St

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






First Church of Christ Scientist
12th & Felix

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






First Church Of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints
First Church of the Nazarene
900 South 11th St

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






First Church of the Nazarene
2102 South 22nd Street

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3

First Congregational Church
Calvary Chapel
1213 North 13th St

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






First Evangelical United Brethren
Emmanuel Seventh-Day Adventist Church
705 South 16th Street

The Sunday School was located at 1614 Locust
Photo #2 ia 1940's Sunday School class photo
Photos submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photo #2 submitted by Doug Howard




1 2

First Lutheran Church
302 South 10th St

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






First Methodist Church
323 North 8th St

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






First Methodist Church
(Nickname: White Temple)
8th & Faraon





1 2 3

FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
301 North 7th Street

Photo #1 - Old first Presbyterian church- NE corner 7th and Jules
Photo #2 - Present First Presbyterian as it appeared in 1911
Photo #3 - Current photo
Photos #1 & 2 sumbitted by Andrew Poage
Photo #3 submitted by Rodney Keyes>br






First Reformed Evangelical Church
Iglesia Evangelica Nueva Jeruslaen
10th & Lincoln

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

First United Presbyterian
Church Of Bethren Temple
Unity Church
Pentecostal Church
Downtown Abbey
12th & Felix St

The church was built in 1901 as a Presbyterian Church
Church of Bethren Temple at 12th & Felix was built as First United Presbyterian
It served two Jewish congregations before becoming Unity Church in 1936
It was later owned by the Pentecostals of St. Joseph
Some information was provided by David Lewis
The church was purchased in 2014 and has been renamed as Downtown Abbey
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






First Reorganized Church of
Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints
Community Of Christ
419 North 17th St

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3

Francis Street First United Methodist Church
12th & Francis St

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photo #3 taken in 2013 by David Osgood






Frederick Boulevard Baptist Church
5502 Frederick Ave

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2 3 4 5 6

German Methodist Church of St. Joseph
Trinity (German) Methodist Church
Hundley Methodist
Ashland Avenue Methodist Church
Ebenezer AME
423 North 3rd Street
(3rd & Antoine Streets)
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Currently a parking lot exists at this location

All of the following information was graciously submitted by David Lewis:
This building was the second on this site built by the German Methodist Church of St. Joseph

Prior to about 1925, the Methodist Church set up separate conferences (like synods) for German-speaking congregations

Anti-German sentiment during WW I and assimilation by the next generation caused many of these congregations to drop the German language in worship

Eventually the Methodist Church folded them into their larger English-speaking congregations

The local church adopted the name Trinity Methodist Church at that time

About 1952, they merged with Hundley Methodist at 22nd & Calhoun
(now occupied by Calvary Baptist) to form Ashland Methodist

The 1953 City Directory lists this as the Ashland Avenue Methodist Church

The building was sold to Ebenezer AME who occupied it until it was sold and then demolished somewhere around 1973

An old Hinners & Albertsen tracker pipe organ, which was acquired in 1896, was left behind. The organ had sat silent for 20+ years. The organ was offered to Ashland Avenue Methodist Church. The church purchased, restored and installed the organ in their present church. Several descendants of the original German families still attend the church

Photo #1 - Circa: 1898, organ at 421 North 3rd Street
Photo #2 - 3rd & Antoine
Photo #3 - Circa: 1939, newspaper article, 3rd & Antoine
Photo #4 - 3rd & Antoine
Some of the above information was submitted by David Lewis




1 2 3

Grace Baptist Church
1124 South 12th

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Grace Evanglicial Church
5103 South 50th

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Grand Avenue Tabernacle
Now Risen Son
1520 Grand Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Green Valley Baptist
3110 Cook Road

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Harmony Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Highway Z & US 6 Highway

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes







Hillcrest Bible Church
3521 Sacramento

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes







Holy Rosary Church Softball Team
6th & Jackson







Hope United Church of Christ
19999 State Rt. W

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Hosley Chapel Independent Christian Methodist
1101 S. 14th Street

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Huffman Memorial Methodist Church
2802 Renick

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2

Hundley Methodist Episcopal Church, South
Calvary Baptist Church
725 N. 22nd St

Calvary Baptist Church was originally
Hundley Methodist Episcopal Church, South
The "South" refers to a division within the Methodist Church from 1844-1939, not a geographic location
Information was submitted by David Lewis
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Hyde Park Methodist Church
Midland Ministerys
709 E. Hyde Park Ave

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Hyde Park Presbyterian Church
403 East Hyde Park

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Hyde Valley United Methodist Church
6201 Pryor

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 3 4 5

Circa 1910
Imamculate Conception Twin Spires
501 South 9th St

Construction of the Imamculate Conception Twin Spires Church was completed on January 3, 1910
Photo #1 submitted by Rodney Keyes




1 2

Immaculate Conception Church
10th & Angelique

Photo - 1907 photo of church, school and residence







Immanuel Baptist Church
6920 Ollmeda St

Pastor: Al Shirley
Sunday School 9:30 a.m.
Sunday Worship 10:45 a.m. & 6:00 p.m.
Wed. Prayer Time 6:00 p.m.
Click here for this Church's Website







Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses
1901 Grand Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses
4605 Pickett Road

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






King Hill Baptist Church
5708 King Hill Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






King Hill Christian Church
5828 King Hill Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






King Hill First Baptist Mount Union Church
4604 King Hill Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






King Hill United Methodist Church
The Edge Christian Fellowship
5801 King Hill Avenue

King Hill United Methodist Church closed in 2012 and became The Edge Christian Fellowship
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






King Hill Pentecostal Tabernacle
4822 King Hill Avenue

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses
1423 Faraon

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Kirschner Community Church
Diagonal & Martha Streets

Kirschner Community Church at Martha and Diagonal St. is still having services
They do not have many in attendance anymore but they still keep the door open
Information submitted by Patsy Shepherd
Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Lake Avenue Baptist Church
820 Alabama

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes






Living Hope Church
19410 Highway 59

Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu