Bee & Wayne Justice were the originators of BEE WAYNES BAKERY|
The bakery opened in 1950, in the rented side of Hermans Drug Store at 26th & Mitchell.
The shop had one glass display case and Bee, would reflect upon their meager start, and laugh that the glass case was even cracked.
They also opened a bakery outlet on the northwest corner of 6th & Edmond.
The downtown Bee Wayne sign is visible in photo #1. This downtown building no longer exists, only a city parking lot exists, it was razed during Urban Renewal
In 1954, the couple used their rental real estate as collateral for a loan to build a new facility at 22nd & Charles.
The new primary location, 22nd & Charles, grew so quickly that the downtown outlet was soon discontinued.
The Bee Wayne Bakery was a full-service bakery, always serving freshly baked products.
All day-old goods were donated to the Lions Club and delivered to the blind throughout St. Joseph.
In 1935, Norris Drug Store was located at 2518 Mitchell, it later became a Herman Drug Store
In 1950, The original Bee Waynes Bakery was located on the west side of the Herman drug store.
Photo #2 shows a bricked up wall and 2 doorways. The middle door is access to the apartment above and the far right door
was the bakery entrance
In 1978, Bee & Wayne Justice retired and sold the bakery.
In the mid 1980s, after having a couple of new owners, the bakery finally sold once more to John Jacobs.
John (Jake) Jacobs purchased the bakery building on South 22nd and converted it into a garage to service his used cars and
also served as his business office for many years
Bee Waynes was one of St Joseph's most popular bakeries
Beulah Bee Justice, at the age of 100, passed away Monday, June 11, 2018, at her home
Photo #10 - March 5, 1967 - a car ran into Bee Waynes front window
Photo #11 - 1982 St Joseph News Press advertisement