This structure was erected in 1913 by Mrs. Eva Roth, widow of Fred Roth.
It replaced the previous structure. It was one of many automotive facilities which were
constructed along the length of Frederick Avenue.
This building housed various auto dealerships. After a brief one-year period housing the
Farmer Automotive Company, the Lawler Motor Company occupied the building and operated
as the city's exclusive Ford dealership from 1917 to 1928|
As the popularity and availability of automobiles greatly increased, so did the need for
spaces to display and service these large machines.
By 1930, Lawler Motor Company joined forces with the Grant Motor Company, authorized Lincoln dealers,
and moved to a larger building at 1002 Francis
The Lawler used car department still operated across the street at 1217 Frederick venue.
The period of significance, 1913-1941, reflects the date of construction and the date
when the building ceased to be in continuous use in connection with the automotive industry,
Michael P. Lawler was the owner of Lawler Automotive