South 8th Street
South 8th Street & Connecting Streets


Link

Search Engine for St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search

BEFORE THE URBAN RENEWAL PROGRAM
FELIX & FREDERICK AVENUE BEGAN AT 8th STREET


FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 8th STREET
SOUTH 8th STREET BEGINS HERE





Circa 1923
SOUTH 8th STREET AUTOMOBILE ROW
Circa 1923
INTERSTATE AUTO COMPANY
PAIGE & JEWETT AUTHORIZED DEALER
317 South 8th Street

Circa 1923
KENNEDY MOTOR COMPANY
STUDEBAKER AUTHORIZED DEALER
220 South 8th Street

Circa 1923
GRAND CENTER MOTOR CAR COMPANY
COLE & VELIE AUTHORIZED DEALER
520 South 8th Street


Photo - 1923 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2

STREET WORK ON SOUTH 8th STREET

Major street repairs on South 8th Street between Edmond and Felix Streets







AERIAL VIEW OF SOUTH 7th & 8th STREETS







Circa 1918
8th STREET
LOOKING NORTH FROM EDMOND








CALLIS CAFE
102 South 8th Street

It was located within this block long building




1 2

Circa 1930
RAPID SHOE REPAIR
104 South 8th
Circa 1932
ANTHAN SHOE REPAIR
104 South 8th

It was located within this block long building




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1913
ROBINSON SHOE STORE CO
110 South 8th
Circa 1925
WERNER SHOE STORE
110 South 8th

It was located within this block long building
Photo #4 - 1930 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #5 - 1925 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #7 - 1981 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1926
SCHROEDER'S BOOK STORE
112 South 8th
DURHAM STATIONARY
112 South 8th
RAPID SHOE REPAIRING
112 South 8th
BENEFICIAL FINANCE
112 South 8th
BEN GORDON JEWELRY COMPANY
112 South 8th

The address was located within this block long building
Photo #6 - 1926 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1923
IDEAL CLOTHING COMPANY
Circa 1932
COUSINS HARDWARE
Circa 1955
RIX & COMPANY BUILDING MATERIALS
113 South 8th






Circa 1932
RAY DONELSON BARBER
CLARENCE ROBINSON BARBER SHOP
114 South 8th

It was located within this block long building




1 2

Circa 1932
KAUTZ PHOTOGRAPHY
114 ½ South 8th
KORNER DANCING ACADEMY
114 ½ South 8th
Circa 1954
ARTHUR MURRAY DANCE STUDIOS
114 ½ South 8th
DEPARTMENT OF EMPLOYMENT SECURITY
114 ½ South 8th

It was located within this block long building




1 2

Circa 1890
VALLEY LIVERY STABLES
115 South 8th
Circa 1929
CASTER BEAUTY ACADEMY
115 South 8th

The building no longer exists
Currently is a St Joseph News-Press parking lot
Photo #1 - 1890 Newspaper Advertisement for the stables
Photo #2 - 1937 Caster's Beauty Academy




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1920
OLNEY MUSIC COMPANY
117 South 8th
Circa 1922
A. A. CONNER MUSIC
117 South 8th
Circa 1925
ABBOTT-TROYER MUSIC COMPANY
117 South 8th
Circa 1932
WAGGONER PAINT COMPANY
117 South 8th
Circa 1950
COOK PAINT & VARNISH COMPANY
117 South 8th

This was the Moss Building in 1932
Photo #1 - Cook Paint fire in 1974
Photo #2 - 1950 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1922 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #4 - 1925 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #5 - 1920 Olney News Press advertisement




MOSS BUILDING
117 ½ South 8th

Contained the following businesses:
Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Company
Doris Lyman Optometrist
Vets of WWII - Post 396
Dehart Jewelers
Woodmen of the World




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1929
FREYMANN JEWELRY COMPANY
118 South 8th Street
Circa 1938
VANITY BOOT SHOP
118 South 8th Street
Circa 1944
STRATHMANN STUDIOS
118 South 8th Street

It was located within this block long building
This building was considered new in 1929
Photo #1 - A young man is standing outside of Strathmann Studios
Photo #3 - 1929 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #4 - Dec 1931, Freymann Jewelry going out of business
Photo #5 - 1938 Vanity Boot advertisement
Photo #6 - 1945 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Circa 1890
GARLICHS-LUCAS INSURANCE
119 South 8th
Circa 1920
ST JOSEPH TRUNK COMPANY
119 South 8th
Circa 1930
ELITE RADIO & GIFT SHOPPE
119 South 8th
Circa 1931
MARVEL FROCKS
119 South 8th
Circa 1946
MILLER-WILLIAMS COMPANY
119 South 8th
Circa 1947
WILLIAMS APPLIANCE COMPANY
119 South 8th
PACKAGE LOAN CORPORATION
119 South 8th
Circa 1951
BURTON APPLIANCE COMPANY
119 South 8th
Circa 1954
WALTERS TEMPERATURE EQUIPMENT
119 South 8th

Photo #1 - 1890 Garlichs-Lucas News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1946 Miller-Williams News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1930 Elite Radio News Press advertisement
Photo #4 - 1920 St Joseph Trunk News Press advertisement
Photo #5 - 1947 Williams Appliance News Press advertisement
Photo #6 - 1931 Marvel Frocks Gazette advertisement
Photo #7 - Package Loan News Press advertisement
Photo #8 - 1951 Burton News Press advertisement








Circa 1932
WALKER'S SHOE STORE
CLARK'S JEWELRY
120 South 8th

It was located within this block long building




1 2 3

Circa 1907
UNION MERCHANTILE COMPANY
Reliable Jewelers
121 South 8th
Circa 1919
LEIBOWITZ JEWELRY
121 South 8th
Circa 1932
JOSEPH ROSEN'S MEN'S FURNISHINGS
121 South 8th
CASTER BEAUTY ACADEMY
121 South 8th
CASTER BEAUTY SHOP
121 South 8th

Photo #1 - Interior view of Leibowitz Jewelry on 8th Street
Photo #2 - 1919 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1907 Union Merchantile News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1930
LEONARD'S CAMERA STORE
122 South 8th
Circa 1937
NU-ENAMEL ST JOSEPH COMPANY
122 South 8th

These were located within this block long building
Photo #5 - 1937 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 3

Circa 1932
MANHATTAN CAFE
123 South 8th
DINER CAFE
123 South 8th
Circa 1940
SUNSET CAFE
123 South 8th
GEORGE W. JONES DRUGS
123 South 8th Street
Circa 1971
PIONEER FINANCE CO
123 South 8th Street

The building no longer exists, a News Press parking lot now at this location




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1932
WOODWORTH OPTOMETRIST
GUST KARRAS TICKET OFFICE
124 South 8th

It was located within this block long building

Photo #1 - Wrestling promoter Gust Karras walking at 8th & Edmond Street
Photo #2 - Gust Karras having lunch with Jack Dempsey at the Victory Restaurant
Photo #3 - Gust Karras
Photo #4 - Gust Karras in 1928
Photo #5 - Building where his office was located
Photos #3 & 4 submitted by Brooke Hickman




Circa 1932
CHARLES HADEN'S MEN'S FURNISHINGS
126 South 8th



EDMOND STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1940
SUNSET CAFE
Northeast Corner of 8th & Edmond
Photo - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1949
CAPEHART HAT WORKS
807 Edmond Street
Photo - 1949 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1900
LOOKING NORTHWEST FROM 8th & EDMOND

Looking northwest from 8th & Edmond around 1900






Circa 1883
SOUTHEAST CORNER OF 8th & EDMOND

The current corner where the Post Office is now originally looked like this
Photo is a 1883 painting of the southeast corner before the Post Office was constructed





1 2 3

8th STREET
Edmond to Felix

Photo #1, looking north from 8th & Edmond
Photo #2, looking north from 8th & Edmond
Photo #3, looking south from 8th & Felix




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10


8th & EDMOND PHOTOS

The Greyhound Bus depot used to be here on southwest corner of 8th & Edmond

Howard Sisson, Farm & Home Savings once occupied the building

The bus depot was torn down and Hall Abstract replaced it with the structure in photo #1

I am currently looking for a Photo of the old Greyhound Bus Depot

The Jones Pharmacy used to be on the northeast corner of 8th & Edmond

They made awesome "SUICIDES"! Anyone know what a "Suicide" soft drink was?
(one squirt of every syrup flavor)

All structures on east side of 8th Street from Edmond to Felix are now gone

The "ENTIRE" east side of the block belongs to St. Joseph News Press

Photo #1 - Hall Abstract replaced the bus depott with this structure
Photo #2 - Northeast corner of 8th & Edmond Photo #3 - This is the Main Post Office, built in 1940
Photo #4 - Looking north east from 8th & Edmond
Photo #5 - View of Edmond Street looking West from 9th & Edmond
Photo #6 - Horse & Buggy days, looking west on Edmond from 8th St
Photo #7 - Looking north on 8th St from top floor of the post office
Photo #8 - Looking south on 8th St from Felix
Photo #9 - Looking south on 8th St from Felix - note the big GOETZ sign on top of building
Photo #10 - Looking at northeast corner of 8th & Edmond - Cook Paint sign visible




Circa 1955
MONROE BOOKKEEPING EQUIPMENT
811 Edmond







Circa 1960
MARCHANT AGENCY
822 Edmond





1 2 3 4 5 6

ST JOSEPH NEWS-PRESS/GAZETTE
ST JOSEPH NEWS-PRESS
825 Edmond

The building is located on the northwest corner of 9th & Edmond

The newspaper traces its earliest roots to the St. Joseph Gazette

The Gazette was founded in 1845 shortly after St. Joseph was founded

The Gazette was the only newspaper to be sent west on the first ride of the Pony Express

In 1889, the Gazette was acquired by Charles M. Palmer

In 1903, The St. Joseph Post started publication

St Joseph Post was quickly purchased and called the St. Joseph News and Press

In 1913, it moved into its headquarters at 7th & Edmond Streets

Mr Palmer eventually bought the Gazette newspaper

In 1939, he brought in Henry D. Bradley to run the day to day operations

In 1951, after Palmer died, Bradley would buy the newspapers

Today the newspaper remains in the Bradley family

The Gazette became a morning edition only paper

The evening edition was called the News-Press

The Gazette ceased existance in the early 1990s
Photo #6 - 1930s Gazette/Newspress newsroom photo on the 2nd floor
The newsroom has since been moved to the floor below

Photo #1 - St Joseph News-Press/Gazette building taken in the 1920's
Photo #2 - 1982 Aerial photo of the building
Photo #3 - Circa 1915
Photo #4 - A statue of a newsboy outside the St. Joseph News-Press
Photo #5 - Current view of St Joseph News-Press building
Photo #5 By Americasroof (Own work) CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Hand Painted Paintings That Line the Post Office Lobby Walls
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12

Circa 1840
BLACK HILLS POST OFFICE
POST OFFICE OF ST JOSEPH
Circa 1940
ST JOSEPH POST OFFICE
US POSTAL SERVICE
US GOVERNMENT OFFICES
8th & Edmond

2 postal buildings have been constructed on this site

Located on the SE corner of 8th & Edmond, first established in 1840

It was originally known as the Black Hills Post Office

The name was later changed to Post Office of St Joseph

Julius Robidoux was the first postmaster

In 1843, the name was changed to St Joseph Post Office

In 1939, the original structure was razed and a new building erected

US Government offices were contained within the new building

Many offices are now empty

As of January 2012, the US Postal Service is wanting to close down the newest building, possibly selling it for $1.3 million
When you walk into the main lobby, you will see numerous beautiful hand painted paintings that are displayed high along both sides of the lobby

They were painted directly onto the walls in 1941 by Gustaf Dalstrom

Using a tall stepladder, Blair Benjamin Carmichael photographed the paintings for a proposed book that never developed

All of the painting photos above were submitted by Blair Benjamin Carmichael

Photo #1 - Original Post Office
Photo #2 - Original Post Office
Photo #3 - April 4, 1916, "Human Fly"
Photo #4 - replaced in 1940
Photo #5 - Looking south 8th & Edmond
Photo #6 - 2013 Main 8th St entrance
Photo #7 - Old Post Office Clock & poem
Photo #8 - United States Marine adv
Photo #9 - Postcard new 1940 structure
Photo #10 - Aerial original Post Office
Photo #11 - St Joseph News-Press photo
Photo #12 - 1906 - New Post Office
Photo #13 - Interior view
Photo #14 - A politician giving speech
Photo #15 - Post Office razed in 1939
Photo #16 - The old post office
Photo #17 - Original Post Office 8th & Edmond
Photo #18 - 1907 - Looking NE from Post Office
Painting #1 - Grain Farmers
Painting #2 - Horseless Carriage
Painting #3 - First Railway Post Office
Painting #4 - Flooded River
Painting #5 - Indian Boat Race
Painting #6 - Joseph Robidoux House
Painting #7 - Lewis and Clark Expedition
Painting #8 - Loading Packet Boat
Painting #9 - Negro river music
Painting #10 - Pony Express leaving
Painting #11 - Railway Station in 1880
Painting #12 - Crossing the Missouri




1 2 3 4

ASSORTED PHOTOS OF 8th & EDMOND

Photo #1 - 1907 view looking northeast - City Hall and Cathedral are visible
Photo #2 - Postcard looking west from the post office on 8th & Edmond
Photo #3 - Looking west at night
Photo #4 - 1930's - Looking west from 8th & Edmond - note all the people & cars




1 2

Circa 1905
J. W. JENKINS' SONS MUSIC COMPANY
8th & Edmond Street
Circa 1908
JENKINS MUSIC COMPANY
8th & Edmond Street

The company experienced a name change in 1908
Photo #1 - 1905 Jenkins News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1908 Jenkins News Press advertisement






FARM & HOME SAVINGS
200 South 8th Street

A sponge given away as an advertising gimmick





1 2

Circa 1940
UNION BUS TERMINAL
200 South 8th Street
HALL ABSTRACT
200 South 8th Street

The bus terminal opened on April 16, 1940
The terminal was called the Greyhound Bus depot by many
It used to be located here on southwest corner of 8th & Edmond
Howard Sisson, Farm & Home Savings once occupied the building. The bus depot was torn down and Hall Abstract replaced it with this structure in photo #2
In the 1953 Greyhound was listed at 200 S 8th along with Interstate Transit Lines, Jefferson Transportation Co, Missouri Pacific Bus Lines, Union Pacific Stages and the Union Bus Depot.




TERMINAL BARBER SHOP
208 South 8th






Circa 1917
AMERICAN ELECTRIC COMPANY
214-216 South 8th

Photo - 1917 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4

PLA-MOR BOWLING ALLEY
216 South 8th

The new 1976 location of the Pla-mor bowling alley
The bowling alley no longer is in business






Chalk & Cue Pool Hall
216½ South 8th

Chalk & Cue pool hall was upstairs above the bowling alley






Circa 1921
GOETZE-NIEMER COMPANY
Physician and Dentral Supply
218 South 8th

Photo - 1921 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1920
HESSE BUILDING COMPANY
220-222 South 8th Street
Circa 1933
HESSE-RIX COMPANY
220 South 8th Street

Photo #1 - 1935 Hesse-Rix Advertisement
Photo #5 - 1933 Hesse-Rix Advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1843
HEATON-BE GOLE FUNERAL HOME
224 South 8th
Circa 1910
FUNERAL HOME
224 South 8th
Circa 1913
ARTCRAFTS ENGAVING COMPANY
224 ½ South 8th
Circa 1930s
AUTO DEALERSHIP
224 South 8th
Circa 1940s
MONTGOMERY WARD FARM STORE
224 South 8th
Circa 1960s
JUNIOR COLLEGE CLASSROOMS
224 South 8th
Circa 1970S
WEIGHT WATCHERS
224 South 8th

Artcrafts Engraving Company serves the graphic arts community through hotstamps, Magnesium engravings, flexographic plates - Templates - Molds for sand, etc
Photo #1 - Undertaker advertisement
Photo #2 - Montgomery Ward Farm Store
Photo #3 - taken during Urban Renewal era
Photo #5 - the backside of the building
Photo #6 - the backside of the building



CHARLES STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1930
INTERURBAN ST JOSEPH TO KC
8th & Charles

8th & Charles, catch the Interurban here in 1930
Photo - 1930 News Press advertisement






Circa 1927
U-DRIVE-IT-CO.
Northwest Corner of 8th & Charles

Photo - 1927 St Joseph Gazette advertisement






FORD DEALERSHIP
8th & Charles

Someone has been storing classic cars in the showroom ever since Ford closed back in the 1970-1980's




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1923
Wolfley Automobile Company
Authorized Dort Six Dealer
301 South 8th Street
Circa 1941
Wolfley Auto Company
Authorized Hudson Dealer
301 South 8th Street
Western Chemical Company
301 South 8th Street

Located on the southeast corner of 8th & Charles
I have been by this building hundreds of times, never seen a business open
The building is still standing, appears to be in good condition
The large door has changed design wise over the years
Last known owners: The Garvey Family
This building has been used very little since about 1955
Photo #2 - 1923 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1923 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #4 - 1923 Dort Six automobile
Photo #5 - 1941 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #6 - 1941 Hudson
Photo #7 - Building at 301 South 8th Street
Photo #8 - Building at 301 South 8th Street






Circa 1935
THE UPTOWN SANDWICH SHOP
310 South 8th

The building no longer exists
Swafford Motor Company building now exists at this location




1 2

Circa 1899
MYERS & MEYERS LIVERY
307-311 South 8th Street






SWAFFORD MOTOR COMPANY
MODERN MOTORS
302-320 South 8th




1 2

Circa 1936
TRACHSEL MOTOR COMPANY
Authorized Nash Dealership
305-311 South 8th Street
MILLER CHEVROLET
305 South 8th

Photo #1 - 1936 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1936 Nash model Lafayette




SAMPSON MOTOR COMPANY
315 South 8th

USED CAR LOT




MILLER CHEVROLET
317 South 8th



SYLVANIE STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1939
George Miller Pontiac
8th & Sylvanie





Circa 1932
Miller Chevrolet Used Cars
8th & Sylvanie



CARNES MOTOR COMPANY
401 South 8th

USED CAR LOT




1 2

J. A. FRENCH PRIVATE HOSPITAL
402 South 8th Street

In 1885, this private hospital was located at 402 South 8th Street
A "separate lying-in chamber" must have been a private room
A modern structure now occupies the address




Pauls' Eat Shop

PAUL'S EAT SHOP
402 South 8th Street

402 South 8th Street
Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes






J. A. FRENCH SANITARIUMS
UNKNOWN EXACT ADDRESS




HANSEN-MEADE USED CARS
414 South 8th

USED CAR LOT




BUD WILSON MOTORS
415 South 8th

USED CAR LOT






Circa 1955
MARTIN MOTORS
417-421 South 8th

Authorized Auston & Volkswagen dealer
Photo - 1955 Martin Motors St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3

Circa 1936
GRAY BROTHERS TIRES & BATTERIES
424 South 8th Street




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1955
Hansen-Mead Motor Company
Desoto & Plymouth
Authorized Dealer

424 South 8th Street

Located on the northwest corner of 8th & Angelique
The building is still standing, Hansen-Mead is still visible on the front wall
Photo #3 - 1955 DeSoto FireDome
Photo #4 - 1955 Desoto Fireflite interior & dash
Photo #5 - 1955 Plymouth Savoy
Photo #6 - 1955 Plymouth Belvedere
Photo #7 - 1970 St Joseph News Press advertisement


ANGELIQUE STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1925
FISK-BELT TIRE SALES COMPANY
8th & Angelique
Circa 1929
ACME TIRE SERVICE COMPANY
8th & Angelique







Circa 1948
JOHN GABRIEL, INC.
510 South 8th Street
Circa 1955
WATSON BROTHERS TRANSPORTATION CO.
510-512 South 8th Street
Circa 1955
WATSON BROTHERS VAN LINES CO.
510-512 South 8th Street
Circa 1955
WATSON BROTHERS HEAVY HAULING CO.
510-512 South 8th Street




1 2 3 5 6 7 8

ATLAS AUTO PARTS
513 South 8th Street
Circa 1950
BECKLEY MOTOR COMPANY
Authorized Hudson & Willy Dealer
513 South 8th Street
BECKLEY'S AUTO SUPPLY
513 South 8th Street

In 1948, the famous Tucker Automobile was on display here for 3 days
Beckley's Auto Parts used to have just about any automotive or motorcycle part that you needed, especially odd or different items
Mr Beckley always said to me when I asked him if he had something, "If you could find it I probably have it"
You had to browse through his attic & shelves for the odity that you were searching for. Most of the time, he would have it
On the north side of the building, he had hundreds of used & junk motorcycles
The apartment building on the corner has been gone for many years
The Beckley building was razed in late 2014
It was sold and American Electric built a new building at the location
Photo #4 - The new American Electric building
Photo #5 - 1950 Beckley Auto news press advertisement






Circa 2015
AMERICAN ELECTRIC
513 South 8th Street

The Beckley building was razed in late 2014
It was sold and American Electric is currently building a new building at the location
As of April 22,2015, it is not quite finished




K-A FLORAL SHOP
516 South 8th




1 2 3 4

Circa 1930
JOHNSON SALES COMPANY
Authorized Desoto Dealer
520 South 8th
JOHN GABRIEL, INC
Goodyear Tires
520 South 8th
Circa 1940
LAWSON BROTHERS MOTORS
520 South 8th
VAN TIRE & BATTERY SERVICE STATION
520 South 8th




1 2 3

INTERSECTION OF 8th & MESSANIE

An interesting fact about this intersection

All 3 photos were taken looking at the northeast corner of 8th & Messanie

Photos #1 and #2 were taken in 2 different & unknown eras

Some time after photo #2 was taken, Messanie Street was widened

Note the Coca Colas signs on the pet shop photo

It may have been a grocery store or a pharmacy previously

Photo #3 was taken after Messanie Street had been widened

The razing of the 2 buildings in photo #1 now put the Duplex on the corner

All structures are now gone as well as Beckley Auto Parts (513 South 8th)

As of late 2014, only a large vacant lot remains

American Electric is currently building a new building at this location in 2015






Circa 1956
SCHALLER'S
8th & Messanie Street






DUPLEX APARTMENTS
523-525 South 8th

This Duplex was once located on the northeast corner of 8th & Messanie
The structure no longer exists






BOLIN AUTOMOTIVE SUPPLY
527 South 8th

Part of Bolin Automotive can be seen in the photo on left side of Mannschreck's
The structure no longer exists




1 2

MANNSHRECK'S MEAT COMPANY
HANSON'S PET SHOP
529 South 8th Street

Once located on the northeast corner of 8th & Messanie
The meat company was owned by Sam Mannshreck and his cousin
Sam Mannshreck was Charles Mannshreck's uncle
Hanson's Pet Shop occupied this building at a later date
Hanson's Pet Shop later moved to North 24th Street, between Felix and Francis
All buildings in the photos no longer exist
The structure was razed when Messanie Street was widened
Photo #1 submitted by Wheeler Schmidt



MESSANIE STREET INTERSECTS





ST JOSEPH NURSES SCHOOL & HOSPITAL
8th & Messanie








Circa 1877
BORNSIDE, CROWTHER & ROGERS FOUNDRY
Corner of 8th & Messanie





Messanie Street trolley1 Messanie Street trolley2

MESSANIE STREET TROLLEY
8th & Messanie

This trolley ran 8th Street to Francis, east to 12th and south to Messanie




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

SMOLLY'S BAKERY
SLEEP E-Z MATTRESS
ARTIS HOTEL
AUTOMOTIVE BEARING
EIGHTH STREET FURNITURE
FRIENDLY TAVERN
8th & Messanie


What once was the Smolly's Bakery & Deli, Sleep E-Z Mattress Co, Artis Hotel, Automotive Bearing, Eighth Street Furniture, Friendly tavern and other businesses over the years was demolished in June 2011

The Desarai Lounge was the last business to occupy part of this structure

The only building remaining in the block is what once was Max Phillips grocery

The buildings were dilapidated, empty for many years and had become an eyesore




1 2 3

Circa 1899
ST JOSEPH ART GLASS CO.
KALIS SUPPLY COMPANY
LARRY'S USED FURNITURE
601 South 8th Street

This building no longer exists


1 2

Circa 1948
FLINCHPAUGH PET SHOP
DESARAI LOUNGE
603 South 8th Street

Flinchpaugh's Pet Shop was located at this address 1948-1951
The entire side of this block was razed in 2014



1 2 3 4


Circa 1918
J. FARBER'S GROCERIES & MEAT
605 South 8th Street
MARGE & CURLEY'S TAVERN
605 South 8th Street
VENETIAN BLINDS SALES & SERVICE
605 South 8th Street






TRENTON-ST JOSEPH COACH DEPOT
TRAILWAYS BUS DEPOT
606 South 8th

The depot was located on the Southwest corner of 8th & Messanie
The Desarai Lounge can be seen in the background
These 2 photos were taken in 1978 or 1979

Photos submitted by Rick Stafford






Circa 1955
SLEEP E-Z MATTRESS COMPANY
607 South 8th

The building is gone, only an empty lot remains
In 2014, the entire side of this block was razed




1 2 3

HOTEL COLUMBIA
609 South 8th Street
YAGER GROCERY
609 South 8th Street

Was located catty-corner from Ben Magoon's
The building is gone, only an empty lot remains
In 2014, the entire side of this block was razed


Photo #1 - Old photo of the store front
Photo #2 - Stella & Bill Yager behind store counter
Photo #3 - As it looked before the entire area was razed
Photos #1 & #2 submitted by Bret Yager



1 2

Circa 1908
MODEL DRY GOODS COMPANY
613-615 South 8th Street
Circa 1924
NEW MODEL DRY GOODS COMPANY
613-615 South 8th Street

The building is gone, only an empty lot remains
In 2014, the entire side of this block was razed




1 2 3

Circa 1877
ST JOSEPH BREWING COMPANY
617 South 8th

Circa 1877
Steve Hayes proprietor
This structure no longer exists

Photo #1 1877 Circa
Photo #2 1877 Circa
Photo #3 This is a much later photo - note minor building facial changes




1 2 3

Circa 1882
ST JOSEPH BAKERY
E. Wagner, Proprietor
619 South 8th Street
Circa 1948
MIDWEST AUTO & VARIETY STORE
619-623 South 8th Street
MILLERS SQUARE DEAL STORE
619-621 South 8th Street

The building is gone, only an empty lot remains
In 2014, the entire side of this block was razed




EIGHTH STREET CAFE
620 South 8th Street






UNKNOWN BUSINESS
625 South 8th Street

The building is gone, only an empty lot remains






RUCKER SUPPLY CO
627 South 8th Street

The building is gone, only an empty lot remains




1 2

Circa 1950
RICH PHARMACY
BARGAIN STORE
629 South 8th Street

The building is gone, only an empty lot remains




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Circa 1910
BEN MAGOON'S FAMOUS DELICATESSON
702 South 8th
Circa 1940
BEN MAGOON'S FAMOUS DELICATESSON
630-632 South 8th

The original Site of Magoon's was located at 702 South 8th

The business was moved to 632 South 8th Street at a later date

Home of delicious rye bread sandwiches; such as scrappy beef or corned beef with slaw & kosher pickle, pickled eggs, pickled pigs feet, lots of different pickles, spices, kosher chilli and cheesecake

My mouth is watering

Barry Woodhall restored and reopened Ben Magoon's in January 2007

Photo #1 - 702 South 8th Street - as it looked on June 18, 1918
Photo #2 - Inside view early 1940's (L-R) Ben Rich, Harry Magoon, Ben Magoon
Photo #3 - 632 South 8th St - As it appeared in 2006
Photo #4 - Current 2011 photo at 632 South 8th
Photo #5 - Photo taken inside Magoons Nov. 15th, 1910
Photo #6 - Ben Magoons matchbook cover
Photo #7 - This is a 630-632 South 8th Ben Magoon's advertisement
Photo #18 - 1940 St Joseph News Press Advertisement
Photos #8-10 taken at 632 So 8th by David Osgood in 2013



LOCUST STREET INTERSECTS



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1940
EINBENDER'S CLOTHING STORE
701-705 South 8th Street

Einbender's 1st clothing store was once located on the SE corner of 8th & Locust

It was built in 1940 by Lester Einbender's parents Mr & Mrs A.J. Einbender

The store doubled in size by 1948

The above photo was taken looking SE from 8th & Locust

The photo was taken on January 25, 1957

Five fire companies, included 20 on duty firemen and half a dozen off duty firemen, battled the fire in 20 degree weather for 8 hours and 35 minutes
It took them 4 hours to get it under control trying to prevent the fire from spreading to a warehouse directly south of Einbenders
The Heitman Mattress Company was located directly south of the warehouse at 715 South 8th. Mr Heitman thanked the Fire Department for preventing the fire from reaching his building

Almost a dozen policemen were directing traffic

Damage was estimated at $800,000 (a lot of money back in 1957)

The structure no longer exists

Photo #7 - 1946 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #8 - 1943 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1940
GRANT'S MODERN USED CAR LOT
702 South 8th Street






Circa 1953
REFINOIL SERVICE STATION
ABC SUPPLY COMPANY
(Auto Body Color)
714 South 8th Street







HEITMAN SANITARY MATTRESS
715-717 South 8th Street







SINGLE SOURCE PAINT SHOP
716 South 8th Street





FOBAIR SERVICE STATION
722 South 8th Street





HRENCHIR BROTHERS SERVICE
722 South 8th Street




1 2


Circa 1980
TR SALES INC
BENITZ SERVICE CENTER
Complete Automotive Care
727 South 8th Street







Circa 1954
CHURCHILL RADIO LAB
733 South 8th Street







Circa 1900
ROBERT ABERCROMBIE
MARBLE & CUT STONE COMPANY
801 South 8th Street

Robert Monroe Abercrombie born January `4, 1856, died January 27, 1936
Thus far, I only have a photo of Abercrombie and his home







Circa 1920
SEGALL'S GROCERY
807 South 8th Street




1 2


Circa 1951
HURT ROOFING COMPANY
827 South 8th Street



PATEE STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1871
SHAMRAD BOILER, INC
1001-1007 South 8th Street

Had them weld my car's intake manifold in 1961




1 2

BURNSTEIN BAKERY
817 South 8th

Tokens redeemable for a 5 cent loaf of bread
Burnstein Bakery made some great rye bread
In the 1950's, my grandfather brought rye bread home from their bakery numerous times a week
The building still stands, St Joe Laser occupies the building



OLIVE STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1906
McCARTHY BROTHERS COMPANY
816-818-820 Olive Street

The building no longer exists
Photo - 1906 MCarthy News Press advertisement





LUCKY THREE SANDWICH SHOP
902 South 8th






Circa 1877
BORNSIDE, CROWTHER & ROGERS FOUNDRY
Corner of 8th & Messanie





1 2

Circa 1950
BEVERLY LUMBER COMPANY
1111 South 8th Street
Circa 1954
HASTINGS LUMBER COMPANY
1111 South 8th Street




PENN STREET INTERSECTS


MITCHELL AVENUE INTERSECTS



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Circa 1907
SCHREIBER MILLING & GRAIN COMPANY
1300 South 8th Street
(8th & Mitchell)
Demolished in 2014 after sitting empty many years
William M. Schreiber was born November 24, 1919 in St. Joseph, Missouri to Hazel and Allen B. Schreiber.
William M. Schreiber passed away on February 27, 2017
William and his brother Allen owned and operated Schreiber Mills Inc. which was founded by their father in 1907.
In 2014, the razing of the Schreiber Mills facility had commenced
The 2014 photos (#3-5) were taken by David Osgood
We drove by it on January 21, 2015 and some of it is still standing
Sure is taking a long time to raise this structure
On Aug 24, 2015, the remains was destroyed by fire
Photos #6-8 were taken in 2015
Photo #9 - 1922 St Joseph News Press advertisement



MONTEREY STREET INTERSECTS



1 2 3 4 5 6


Circa 1899
BURGESS-FRAZER IRON & HARDWARE
210-214 South 4th
ROSS-FRAZER SUPPLY
210-214 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Circa 1960
ROSS-FRAZER SUPPLY COMPANY
8th & Monterey Street
Circa 1956
ROSS-FRAZER SUPPLY COMPANY
819 South Belt Highway

Photo #3 - 1928 Ross-Frazer Hardware Catalog






ST JOSEPH FOUNDRY
8th & Monterey Street




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu