North 8th Street
North 8th Street & Connecting Streets

Search Engine for St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search



Link

BEFORE THE URBAN RENEWAL PROGRAM
FELIX & FREDERICK AVENUE BEGAN/MET AT 8th STREET


FREDERICK AVENUE INTERSECTS





Circa 1906
DAIRY LUNCH
8th & Felix/Frederick Avenue

Photo - 1906 Dairy Lunch Newspress advertisement






Circa 1934
FARRINGTON SERVICE
8th & Felix

Photo - 1934 Farrington Newspress advertisement






Circa 1860
EAGLE MILLS
8th & Felix/Frederick Avenue





1 2

Circa 1934
STUPPY
THE TELEGRAPH FLORIST
8th & Felix

Photo #1 - Stuppy's signs can be seen on the right side
Photo #2 - 1934 Stuppy Newspress advertisement






Circa 1910
GARRETT & SON MEN'S SHOES & BOOTS
8th & Felix







Circa 1970
SPARR-KAYBEE
8th & Felix




>
1 2 3

Circa 1910
PLATT'S BUSINESS COLLEGE
8th & Felix
PLATT SECRETARIAL SCHOOL
8th & Felix

Successor of the Whitmore College
Over the years, this building was occupied by Platt College, Necci Sewing machines and numerous other retailers
Platte College was once located on the SW corner of 8th & Felix, where Necci Sewing Machine later located
Platte College later moved to 9th & Frederick and again to 9th & Felix where it currently resides
Photo #1 - 1910 Platt College calendar
Photo #2 - 1957 Platt College Advertisement
Photo #3 - Later photo - southwest corner of 8th & Felix






Circa 1924
ANDERSON'S
(UPSTAIRS)
8th & Felix





1 2

Circa 1912
8th & Felix/Frederick Avenue
Looking west on Felix

The first Kirkpatrick building is seen in both photos






Circa 1932
8th & Felix/Frederick Avenue
Looking south on 8th Street



8th & Frederick

Circa 1890's
8th & Felix/Frederick Avenue
Looking east on Frederick Avenue

Before Urban Renewal, both Frederick Avenue & Felix Street joined at an 8th Street intersection

Looking east from about Felix in the 1890's

The largest building in the photograph, the gothic building on the right, was the Irish-American Building at 1002 Jules

It was built in 1886 and razed shortly after the construction of the current city hall

The Messanie streetcar traveled on 8th Street to Frederick to Francis to 12th

It took 12th south to Messanie, turned east, and went to "Holman Heights"

Above information was provided by Richard Gilpin




1 2 3 4

Circa 1900
8th & FELIX/FREDERICK

Here are some great turn of the century photos
Photo #1 - Looking south on 8th street from Felix or Frederick
Frederick & Felix both met at 8th Street before Urban Renewal
Hirschs and Plano Drugs are seen on the left side
The old Post Office can be seen in the far background
Check out the little children's attire next to the corner
The kids seem to have wheel barrow
I notice all the telephone poles in this period had steel bands around their base
Everything that you see in these photos is now gone
Photo #1 - Looking south on 8th street from 8th & Felix/Frederick Avenue
Photo #2 - Shoppers walking in front of Hirschs and window shoppers
Photo #3 - Blow up of the children and wheelbarrow
Photo #3 - Closer view of the children and wheelbarrow




8th & Frederick

Circa 1890's
8th & FELIX/FREDERICK

Looking north on 8th Street at Felix & Frederick Avenue
This photo was taken before Hirsch Brothers Dry Goods was built
Frederick & Felix both met at 8th Street before Urban Renewal
A Jules Street streetcar is turning the corner at 8th & Frederick
Since Urban Renewal, this intersection with Frederick Avenue no longer exists






Circa 1900
LOOKING NORTH ON 8th STREET

Looking north on 8th Street
B.F. Herr Department store on Felix Street is visible
The St Joseph Gas Company at 8th & Francis can be seen
This photo appears to have been taken from an upper floor of the post office






Circa 1909
LOOKING WEST AT 8th & FREDERICK

Looking west at the intersection of Frederick at 8th Street
Frederick & Felix both met at 8th Street before Urban Renewal
A stage coach in a parade is turning the corner at 8th & Frederick






Circa 1932
DORBIN'S COMPLETE FOOD CENTER
817 Frederick Avenue

Photo - 1932 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1913
THE BARLTLETT TRUST COMPANY
818 Frederick Avenue







Circa 1909
8th & FREDERICK

A 1909 parade photo taken at 8th & Frederick Avenue






Circa 1913
SCHMIDT BAKERY
8th & Felix & 905 Frederick Avenue

Schmidt Bakery had 2 locations




1 2 3

Circa 1930-2015
CHANGES AT 8TH & FELIX OVER THE YEARS

A group photo of Lee's Band assembled in the center of Felix Street
Before Urban Renewal, 8th & Felix was a very busy intersection
Very few, if any, of the buildings in this photo still exist
A huge multi level parking garage consumed 8th to 9th street
The parking garage was razed in 2016 as shown in photo #3
The hospital is building a new parking structure & stores here

  • Photo #1 was taken at 8th & Felix, note the Howitt building and others on the left side of Felix
  • Photo #2 is a St Joseph Museum photo, displays as the intersection was before Urban Renewal
  • Photo #3 is a current view taken from 8th & Frederick, note that even the parking lot is gone




  • 1 2 3 4 5

    Circa 1911
    McKelvey Jewelry Company
    803 Frederick
    Circa 1923
    G. R. Kinney Company
    803 Frederick
    Circa 1926
    Kinney Shoe Company
    803 Frederick
    Circa 1933
    Burnett's
    803 Frederick
    Circa 1945
    Kaybee Store
    1955
    One Hour Cleaners
    803 Frederick
    Demolished during Urban Renewal






    Circa 1933
    Schultz Photography Studio
    805 Frederick
    Demolished during Urban Renewal



    St Joseph Beauty University
    805½ Frederick
    Demolished during Urban Renewal





    Circa 1955
    SCHULTZ STUDIOS
    807 Frederick Avenue
    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    Photo - 1955 St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement




    1 2

    Circa 1911
    PARISIAN CLEANING COMPANY
    813 Frederick Avenue
    Circa 1951
    ELLINGER SPORTING GOODS
    813 Frederick Avenue
    Demolished during Urban Renewal




    1 2

    ST JOSEPH SURGICAL SUPPLY
    815 Frederick
    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    815 Frederick Avenue - currently is a city parking lot
    All buildings in photo #1 were razed during Urban Renewal
    St Joseph Surgical moved further east on Frederick
    City Hall is visible at the far right of the 2nd Photo
    Leonard McCoy (Pres)
    Dward A Moore (V-Pres-Sec)
    Photo #1 submitted by Dave Sietzen





    Circa 1945
    MILLS CAFE
    824 Frederick Avenue
    Demolished during Urban Renewal




    1 2 3 4

    ZERBST PHARMACAL
    827 Frederick Ave
    2101 Messanie
    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    Before 1910, Howard A Zerbst Pharmacy was at the intersection of 3 streets
    (9th Street, Francis Street and Frederick Avenue)
    The pharmacy moved later to 2101 Messanie Street
    In 1910, Red Cross Pharmacy occupied the building
    After Urban Renewal, this intersection no longer existed

    Photo #1 - This photo was taken in 1910. Christ Episcopal Church can be seen in the background
    Photo #2 - The pharmacy later moved to 2101 Messanie Street
    Photo #3 - Cold capsules that Zerbst manufactured in St Joseph
    Photo #4 - Cold capsules that Zerbst manufactured in St Joseph




    9th & Frederick1 9th & Frederick2 9th & Frederick3 9th & Frederick3

    Circa 1910
    RED CROSS PHARMACY
    837 Frederick Avenue
    Circa 1955
    RUDOLPH'S RED CROSS PHARMACY
    837 Frederick Avenue
    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    In 1910, D. E. Curtain and H. L. Perkins obtained ownership of the pharmacy
    The last owners of this drug store were Victor and Louis Randolf
    The Rudolfs had operated this drug store for 45 years

    It was one of the few in the world allowed to use the name Red Cross
    The drug store had been in operation for 95 years. It was founded before the chartering of the Red Cross, the international aid organization so it was able to use the name Red Cross

    In 1972, the city filed an eviction action against the Red Cross Pharmacy because the Urban Renewal Program was wanting the city block on which the drug store was located for parking purposes

    The remainder of the block in which the drug store was located had already been acquired by the urban renewal authority

    Rather than relocating to another location, the Rudolfs just went out of business
    I am sure it is missed by many people

    Thomas W. Paul was the 1972 Urban Renewal executive director

    This was a block that was bounded by Felix, Francis and 9th Streets

    Both of the 2 photos are views looking westward from 9th & Francis

    Photo #1 submitted by Zet Miller
    Photo #3 - January 2, 1910 "Notice of new ownership"



    FELIX STREET INTERSECTS - NORTH 8th STREET BEGINS HERE



    1 2

    Circa 1918
    VICTORY ARCH
    8th & Felix

    Welcoming home parade for the troops coming home when WWI ended in 1918
    A Victory Arch was placed at 4th & Felix and 8th & Felix in downtown St Joseph




    1 2 3

    Circa 1954
    8th & Felix

    Photo #1 - looking south from 8th & Felix
    Photo #2 - looking east on Felix towards 8th Street
    Photo #3 - close up of the clock on west side of 8th street
    Since Urban Renewal, no structures in photo #2 exist today




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13

    A COLLECTION OF PHOTOS
    8th & Frederick
    8th & Felix Street
    8th Between Edmond & Felix

    This is a collection of photos looking in different directions from pretty much from the same area over numerous time periods

    Before Urban Renewal, Frederick dead ended into 8th just north of Felix Street
    Since Urban Renewal, Frederick Avenue now dead ends into 9th & Francis Street

    Photo #1 - Schroer's Drugs - razed in 1979 by Urban Renewal
    Photo #2 - Looking west towards 8th & Felix - look at the signs and the billboard
    Photo #3 - 1921 - the Fire Chief's funeral, United Cigar Store on SW corner
    Photo #4 - NW Corner of 8th & Edmond, Cook Paint & Drug Store, now all gone
    Photo #5 - Original Hirsch's Department Store, southeast corner of 8th & Frederick
    Photo #6 - 8th & Frederick around the turn of the century before Hirsch's was built
    Photo #7 - 8th & Frederick looking East from 8th street
    Photo #8 - This was taken before the Pony Express Statue was placed in the park area
    Photo #9 - 1954 photo of downtown, 8th & Felix looking south. Note big clock on top of building
    Photo #10 - 1954 photo of Russell Stover on Felix
    Photo #11 - 1960's photo of Felix just west of 8th Street
    Photo #12 - Looking west down Felix from 8th St
    Photo #13 - Looking west down Felix from 8th St, a bit different view




    1 2 3

    VIEWS OF 8th & FELIX AREA

    Photo #1 - Circa 1915 - Looking west on Felix from 8th Street
    The Corby Building is clearly visible
    Photo #2 - Circa 1930's - Looking south on 8th from Felix Street
    Hirsch Brothers Dry Goods can be seen on the left
    The old post office in the background
    Photo #3 - Aerial view surrounding the old post office area
    Most buildings in this photo no longer exist




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

    Circa 1905
    HIRSCH BROTHERS DRY GOODS
    800 Felix

    A new more modern Hirsch's replaced the original structure
    It was remodeled once again in later years
    All the women loved to shop at Hirsch's
    They moved to East Hills Shopping Center on the Belt Highway
    Hirsch's closed some years later

    Photo #1 - A new modern Hirsh's replaced the old building
    Photo #2 - 1954 photo of downtown, on Felix looking east toward Hirsch's
    Photo #3 - Hirsch building being torn down in 1989
    Photo #4 - Old photo showing view from entrance of Hirsch
    Photo #5 - Circa 1930's photo looking south on 8th Street
    Photo #6 - Postcard showing the old original store
    Photo #7 - Hirsh's special sale
    Photo #8 - 1989 razing of the Hirsch Store
    Photo #9 - 1905 inside store photo
    Photo #10 - 1905 inside store photo
    Photo #11 - 1913 huge women's restroom in Hirsch's
    Photo #12 - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement
    Photo #13 - 1930 City Directory advertisement




    1 2

    Circa 1921
    WILLIS-LUCAS CADDILLAC COMPANY
    814-816 Felix
    Circa 1925
    WEBSTER CAFETERIA
    814 Felix
    Circa 1930
    MRS MARY STEVENSON'S CAFETERIA
    814 Felix
    Circa 1955
    NEWS-PRESS ENGRAVING DEPT.
    814 Felix




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

    THE BARTLETT BLOCK
    Circa 1927
    THE BARTLETT BUILDING
    815 Felix
    814 Frederick
    Circa 1927
    FIRST STATE BANK
    815 Felix
    814 Frederick
    Circa 1930
    BARTLETT MORTGAGE COMPANY
    815 Felix
    814 Frederick
    Circa 1930
    BARTLETT BROTHERS INVESTMENT COMPANY
    815 Felix
    814 Frederick
    KFEQ RADIO BUILDING
    815 Felix
    814 Frederick
    HOWITT BUILDING
    815 Felix
    814 Frederick
    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    This triangular building was originally the Bartlett Trust Company
    It was razed during the Urban Renewal program, it was a very hard to destroy building
    Demolition teams had to cut a large hole at each floor to allow a bulldozer to be inserted
    The bulldozer knocked down walls inside so each floor could then be demolished
    The Bartlett Trust Company was located in this building in the 1920's
    The First State Bank occupied this building in 1927
    The building shared Felix & Frederick Streets thus also shared 2 addresses
    Numerous committees fought to save this unique building during Urban Renewal
    However, they failed to prevent it's destruction
    It was listed in the 1953 city directory as the KFEQ building
    The KFEQ radio station occupied the entire 4th floor
    It was also once the home of KUSN radio station. (AKA Kissin' KUSN)
    Home Savings and Loan is known to have had their office here in 1962
    Because of the 1970's Urban Renewal program, a rarely used and defective multi-level municipal parking lot was constructed and consumed this area
    In 2016, Mosaic Hospital was given the defective multi-level parking garage if they would raze it and rebuild a safe parking lot in it's place
    The area is currently under construction and will become a multi-story parking garage with space for retail storefronts

    Photo #1 - Taken right before the wrecking ball began
    Photo #2 - Taken right before the wrecking ball began
    Photo #6 - 1922 advertisement for The Barlett Trust Co
    Photo #9 - The razing of the Howitt Building
    Photo #10 - 1962 newspaper Home Savings advertisement
    Photo #12 - 1972 newspaper photo prior urban renewal
    Photo #13 - 1947 advertisement for the KFEQ building
    Photo #14 - 1945 J Wesley Koch KFEQ Radio station manager
    Photo #15 - KFEQ Radio operator, Guy Saxton, who started Cool Crest Golf
    Photo #16 - KFEQ Radio operator, Jacqueline Jackson-Ritter
    Photo #17 - John Schraufek (standing) and Mike Fisher (seated) at KFEQ-TV
    Photo #18 - A popular quartet on KFEQ radio, Natural Quartette, early 1900's
    Photo #19 - First Banks advertisement - First State Bank was in this building in 1927
    Photo #20 - The folks who entertain you on KFEQ radio
    Photo #22 - 1930 City Directory advertisement
    Photos #1 & #2 are ones that I took as the Urban Renewal razing began
    Photos #3,4 & 5 submitted by Dave Sietzen
    Photo #18 submitted by Leslie Harrison Wyman, great niece of Ezra Harrison






    Circa 1930
    HOLLAND FURNACE COMPANY
    816 Felix
    Circa 1930
    WEBSTER'S TEA & COFFEE HOUSE
    816 Felix
    Circa 1951
    ALLEN'S SHOES
    816 Felix
    BRUCE RELIGIOUS SHOP
    816 Felix
    DITTEMORE'S WESTERN APPAREL SHOP
    816 Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal



    Circa 1930
    PHILLIP SAVERINO CYCLE REPAIR
    817 Felix
    MILDRED HINES REAL ESTATE
    817 Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal



    Circa 1930
    I T CURD REAL ESTATE
    818 Felix
    Circa 1930
    ST JOSEPH PRESSED BRICK COMPANY
    818 Felix
    Circa 1955
    BRUCE RELIGIOUS SHOP
    816 Felix
    BUSINESS MEN'S ASSURANCE
    818 Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal



    1 2 3 4

    Circa 1930
    VINEYARD LOAN & INVESTMENT COMPANY
    819 Felix
    Circa 1953
    VINEYARD REALTY COMPANY
    819 Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal



    Circa 1930
    ORR LOAN COMPANY
    820 Felix
    Circa 1930
    HERBERT OWEN LAWYER
    820 Felix
    PHILLIP THOMPSON REAL ESTATE
    820 Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal



    Circa 1930
    LESLIE ENGINEERING OMPANY
    820½ Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal



    Circa 1930
    ST JOSEPH ROOFING COMPANY
    821 Felix
    Circa 1930
    FRANK THOMPSON REAL ESTATE
    821 Felix
    Circa 1930
    GREENE COUNTY BLDG & LOAN ASSN
    821 Felix
    Circa 1930
    LAURENCE E MILLER
    AUTOGRAPHIC REGISTERS
    821 Felix
    Circa 1930
    EDWARD KOLHE GAS LIGHT SUPPLIES
    821 Felix
    Circa 1930
    JOHN ALBUS INSURANCE
    821 Felix
    Circa 1930
    CHASE BARNETT INSURANCE
    821 Felix
    Circa 1930
    STOCK YARDS DAILY JOURNAL
    821 Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal



    1 2

    Circa 1896
    G. A. THOMPSON PAINTS
    823 Felix

    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    Photo #2 - 1949 St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement



    HOLLAND FURNACE COMPANY
    824 Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal



    Circa 1955
    BUSINESS MACHINES & EQUIPMENT COMPANY
    825-827 Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal



    GERTRUDE GILLIAN BEAUTY SHOP
    109 ½ North 8th Street






    COOK'S CAMERA SHOP
    110 North 8th Street




    1 2 3

    Circa 1923
    M. & J. BROKERAGE COMPANY
    111 North 8th Street
    Circa 1953
    CALVERT TYPEWRITER SUPPLY
    111 North 8th Street

    This location is currently occupied by a city multi level parking lot
    Photo #1 - 1923 M & J News-Press newspaper advertisement
    Photo #3 - 1953 Calvert Typewriter News-Press newspaper advertisement






    PICKWICK SHOP
    112 North 8th Street

    St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement






    Circa 1926
    EUREKA VACUUM CLEANER COMPANY
    112A North 8th Street
    Circa 1955
    KERREN BEAUTY SHOP
    112A North 8th Street




    1 2

    BART'S BEAUTY SALON
    114 North 8th Street

    Mr Ivan's Bart's Beauty Salon business card
    All buildings except the multi-story brick building are gone
    Currently a parking lot exists at this location




    LITTLE CHEF RESTAURANT
    115-117 North 8th Street




    MARHILL BEAUTY SHOP
    116 North 8th Street






    Circa 1961
    CARL'S HAIR FASHIONS
    118 North 8th Street

    St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement




    NELSON BUILDING
    118 ½ North 8th Street

    This address contained the following businesses in 1953:
    Young Engraving Shop
    Erken & VanZandt Engraving
    Norris Venard watch repair




    ABRAHAM BORISON - TAILOR
    119 North 8th Street






    Circa 1920
    HYATT COAL COMPANY
    124 North 8th Street
    Circa 1953
    SCANLON SEWING MACHINE COMPANY
    124 North 8th Street
    Circa 1955
    ANNA MODE
    Maternity & Infant Wear
    124 North 8th Street




    WOLFLEY BEATY SHOP
    126 North 8th Street




    Hillyard

    HILLYARD DISINFECTANT
    126 North 8th Street

    This is an early photo of Hillyard Disinfectant Company
    Hillyard, Inc. (earlier known as Hillyard Disinfectant Company and Hillyard Chemical Company) is a privately owned cleaning products company in St. Joseph, Missouri with a speciality in providing products for cleaning and maintenance of wood basketball courts


    FRANCIS STREET INTERSECTS





    Circa 1917
    GARD'S BUSINESS COLLEGE
    8th & Francis
    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    Was located upstairs, above the Gas company office
    Photo - 1917 St Joseph News Press advertisement



    1 2

    LOOKING NORTH & WEST FROM 8th & FRANCIS

    Unknown circa
    Photo #1 - Looking north on Francis Street from 8th Street
    Photo #2 - Looking west on Francis Street from 8th Street
    There is now only one tree on the right side and it is so large now you cannot see the church from this view






    Circa 1970's
    LOOKING SOUTH FROM 8th & Francis

    Circa 1970's
    Looking south on 8th Street from Francis
    Hirsch Department Store, which no longer exists, is visible on the left




    1 2 3 4

    THE HUBER BUILDING
    Circa 1928
    WESTERN AUTO SUPPLY COMPANY
    801 Francis Street
    Circa 1955
    BAUMAN'S WALLPAPER & PAINT
    801 Francis Street
    APPLIANCE MAN RENTALS
    801 Francis Street




    THE HUBER BUILDING
    THE ACE
    WAVE SHOP
    801½ Francis
    GOETZE-NIEMER DENTAL LAB
    801½ Francis

    There was a dental laboratory upstairs called Goetze-Niemer
    They evidently moved here from 808 Francis




    1 2 3

    Circa 1929
    ST JOSEPH GAS COMPANY
    802 Francis

    The Gas Company office where you paid the bill was located at 802 Francis
    These tanks and the facility were located south of the downtown area




    1 2

    Circa 1921
    PIGGLY WIGGLY GROCERY STORE
    803 Francis




    Circa 1930
    FRANCIS CAFETERIA
    805 Francis




    1 2 3

    Circa 1910
    KELLER'S FURRIERS
    805-807 Francis
    Circa 1930
    HARRY KELLER FURRIERS
    807 Francis

    Keller's, manufacturer of fine fur apparel, was established in 1910

    By 1924, Giuseppe "Joe" Manganaro operated an Italian market at 807 Francis

    Currently, Geneo's Pub is located at 805 Francis

    Geneo's Pizza occupies 807-811 Francis
    Photo #1 - Keller's 1970 newspaper advertisement
    Photo #2 - 1960 yellow page advertisement
    Photo #3 - 1930 City Directory advertisement




    1 2

    MELROSE MARKET
    807 Francis
    GENEO'S PIZZA
    807-811 Francis

    In 1924, Giuseppe "Joe" Manganaro owned & operated an Italian market advertising fancy meats and groceries

    It was called Melrose Market located at 807 Francis

    In the early 1930's, Mr Manganaro moved his grocery store to 909 Frederick Avenue

    Currently, half of Geneos Pizza occupies the address where the market once stood

    As you can in the photos, the front facial & doorways are the same with some modifications

    Photo #1 & information submitted by Jeff Soto, Joe Manganaro's great grandson




    Circa 1930
    CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
    808 Francis
    Circa 1930
    WHOLESALERS & MFGRS ASSOCIATION
    808 Francis
    Circa 1930
    WESTERN MERCHANTS ASSOCIATION
    808 Francis
    Circa 1930
    COMMUNITY CHEST
    808 Francis
    Circa 1953
    GOETZE-NIEMER DENTAL LAB
    808 Francis

    Goetze-Niemer is listed at this address in the 1953 city directory




    1 2 3 4

    Circa 1925
    DEBORAH'S ART & GIFT SHOP
    809 Francis
    Circa 1940
    DEBORAH'S GIFT SHOP
    809 Francis

    Also listed at this address in the 1953 city directory
    The address was absorbed when purchased by Geneo's Pizza
    Photo #2 - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement
    Photo #4 - 1924 Deborah's News Press advertisement




    Circa 1930
    COOK PAINT & VARNISH
    811 Francis
    HEUMANN DENTAL LABS
    811 Francis

    Heumann listed at this address in the 1953 city directory




    1 2

    Circa 1899
    D. C. CONNELL PLUMBING
    813 Francis
    Circa 1925
    ARTHUR O. LEWARS
    Exclusive Cook Agent
    813 Francis
    Circa 1953
    AMERICAN RED CROSS
    813 Francis

    Photo #1 - 1899 St Joseph News Press Advertisement
    Photo #2 - 1925 St Joseph News Press Advertisement
    Listed as American Red Cross in 1953 city directory




    Circa 1930
    SARAH McNALLY MASSAGE
    813½ Francis

    As per 1930 city directory




    Circa 1930
    CURTIS KENNEDY PLUMBING
    815 Francis

    As per 1930 city directory




    Circa 1953
    HAGER REALTY
    817 Francis
    Circa 1955
    BURROUGHS ACCOUNTING MACHINES
    817 Francis

    Listed at this address in the 1953 city directory




    Circa 1930
    HANDERSON TYPEWRITER COMPANY
    816 Francis
    Circa 1930
    L C SMITH TYPEWRITERS INC
    816 Francis

    Listed in the 1930 city directory




    Circa 1930
    BUILDING INDUSTRY CLUB
    816½ Francis
    Listed in the 1930 city directory




    Circa 1930
    FIEDLER'S BAKERY
    817 Francis
    Listed in the 1930 city directory




    Circa 1930
    BUSCH PHOTO STUDIO
    819 Francis
    Circa 1953
    MISSOURI-KANSAS TYPEWRITER & OFFICE EQUIPMENT COMPANY
    819 Francis
    Circa 1955
    COUPE-HINES OFFICE MACHINES
    819 Francis

    Listed at this address in the 1930,1953 & 1955 city directories




    KING HILL BUILDING
    819½ Francis

    Listed at this address in the 1953 city directory




    THE PAPE BUILDING
    PAPE APARTMENTS
    820&frac;12 Francis

    Listed at this address in the 1953 city directory




    1 2 3 4 5

    Circa 1880
    ST JOSEPH WATER COMPANY
    823 Francis
    Circa 1905
    SCHILLER PIANO COMPANY
    823 Francis
    Circa 1910
    ST JOSEPH ART STORE
    823 Francis
    Circa 1914
    B. L. GRISWOLD
    823 Francis
    Circa 1922
    M-K ELECTRIC COMPANY
    823 Francis

    M-K Electric was still listed at this address in the 1953 city directory
    The original building no longer exists
    Photo #1 - 1910 St Joseph Water Co News Press advertisement
    Photo #2 - 1910 St Joseph Art Store News Press advertisement
    Photo #3 - 1922 M-K Eledtric News Press advertisement
    Photo #4 - 1914 Griswold News Press advertisement
    Photo #5 - 1905 Schiller News Press advertisement




    1 2 3 4 5 6

    Circa 1902
    MARSHALL AND DUNN'S GROCERY
    823-825 Francis
    Circa 1953
    ST JOSEPH WATER COMPANY
    823-825 Francis
    Circa 1975
    VOSS BROTHERS Wallpaper & Paint
    825 Francis
    KRANITZ & KRANITZ LAW FIRM
    825 Francis

    In 1953, this became home to the St Joseph Water Company
    In later years, the Water Company would move east of the Belt Highway to Pembroke Lane
    About 1902, John Letcher Marshall and George Phillip Dunn opened their grocery store at 825 Francis Street. They remained in business until about 1929
    Kranitz and Kranitz law firm later occupied this address
    Photo #5 - 1913 Marshall & Dunn window display
    Photo #6 - 1975 St Joseph News Press Voss Brothers advertisement




    GEORGE GREER INSURANCE AGENCY
    208 North 8th Street

    Listed at this address in the 1953 city directory




    1 2 3

    MERTLAND APARTMENTS
    208 North 8th Street

    Photo #1 - Mertland Apartments, looking northwest from 8th Street
    Photo #2 - Photo #2 - 1966 St Joseph News-Press photo Mertland Apartments fire
    Photo #3 - 2014 Photo of the Mertland Apartments




    McKEEHAN FURNISHED ROOMS
    219 North 8th Street



    JULES STREET INTERSECTS





    Circa 1930's
    LOOKING SOUTH FROM 8th & JULES

    Circa 1930's
    Looking south on 8th Street from Francis
    Western Auto can be seen on left side of photo




    WILUR McDONALD PHYSICIAN
    301 North 8th Street




    1 2 3 4

    YWCA
    304 North 8th Street

    In 1888, the Young Womens Christian Association was formed
    This building, located at 304 North 8th Street, became the home to the Young Womens Christian Association in 1918
    The YWCA is still located in this building today




    First Methodist

    First Methodist Church
    323 North 8th St

    Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes



    FARAON STREET INTERSECTS



    POTTER APARTMENTS
    406 North 8th Street




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

    MISSOURI METHODIST HOSPITAL
    METHODIST MEDICAL CENTER
    HEARTLAND WEST HOSPITAL
    HEARTLAND REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER
    8th & Faraon
    Demolished By Heartland Hospital

    Missouri Methodist Hospital opened in 1924 at 8th & Faraon

    Next to it was another hospital constructed of the blond bricks which operated under two different names: Osteopathic Hospital and Mercy Hospital

    Missouri Methodist purchased the Mercy Hospital around 1957

    Carder Hall opened in the 1950's as a dorm for the student nurses at Missouri Methodist Hospital

    It was named in honor of Dr. Carder who was head of Missouri Methodist Hospital

    Sometime in the 1960's, the hospital dropped Missouri from it's name becoming Methodist Hospital

    It remained Methodist Hospital until the 1970's when it became Methodist Medical Center

    Methodist Medical Center had the new hospital built on Riverside Road

    It was then that Heartland Health System was formed. The name was changed again to Heartland West

    For a while it was known as Heartland Regional Medical Center

    The 2 hospitals were finally joined in 1984

    With the Sister's Hospital gone, Heartland Hospital now has a monopoly in St Joseph

    The entire hospital complex was torn down several years ago thus creating about an 8 square block vacant lot in the downtown area

    New houses are scheduled to be built within this big lot




    1 Zion Evangelical Church2

    Zion Evangelical Church
    Zion United Church of Christ
    816 Faraon Street




    PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



    Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
    Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


    Return To Main Menu