8th Street
8th Street & Connecting Streets


Search Engine for St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search

Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE: Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

BEFORE THE URBAN RENEWAL PROGRAM
FELIX & FREDERICK AVENUE BEGAN AT 8th STREET


FREDERICK AVENUE INTERSECTS





Circa 1860
EAGLE MILLS
8th & Felix/Frederick Avenue







Circa 1920's
8th & Felix/Frederick Avenue
Looking west on Felix







Circa 1932
8th & Felix/Frederick Avenue
Looking south on 8th Street





8th & Frederick

Circa 1890's
8th & Felix/Frederick Avenue
Looking east on Frederick Avenue

Before Urban Renewal, both Frederick Avenue & Felix Street joined at an 8th Street intersection

Looking east from about Felix in the 1890's

The largest building in the photograph, the gothic building on the right, was the Irish-American Building at 1002 Jules

It was built in 1886 and razed shortly after the construction of the current city hall

The Messanie streetcar traveled on 8th Street to Frederick to Francis to 12th

It took 12th south to Messanie, turned east, and went to "Holman Heights"

Above information was provided by Richard Gilpin






Circa 1900
8th & FELIX/FREDERICK

This is a great turn of the century photo
Looking south on 8th street from Felix or Frederick
Frederick & Felix both met at 8th Street before Urban Renewal
Hirches and Plano Drugs were on the left side
The old Post Office can be seen in the far background
Check out the little children's attire next to the corner
The kids seem to have some sort of cart
Everything that you see in this photo is now gone




8th & Frederick

Circa 1890's
8th & FELIX/FREDERICK

Looking north on 8th Street at Felix & Frederick Avenue
This photo was taken before Hirsch Brothers Dry Goods was built
Frederick & Felix both met at 8th Street before Urban Renewal
A Jules Street streetcar is turning the corner at 8th & Frederick
Since Urban Renewal, this intersection with Frederick Avenue no longer exists






Circa 1900
LOOKING NORTH ON 8th STREET

Looking north on 8th Street
B.F. Herr Department store on Felix Street is visible
The St Joseph Gas Company at 8th & Francis can be seen
This photo appears to have been taken from an upper floor of the post office






Circa 1909
LOOKING WEST AT 8th & FREDERICK

Looking west at the intersection of Frederick at 8th Street
Frederick & Felix both met at 8th Street before Urban Renewal
A stage coach in a parade is turning the corner at 8th & Frederick






Circa 1909
8th & FREDERICK

A 1909 parade photo taken at 8th & Frederick Avenue






Circa 1913
SCHMIDT BAKERY
8th & Felix & 905 Frederick Avenue

Schmidt Bakery had 2 locations




1 2 3

Circa 1930-2015
CHANGES AT 8TH & FELIX OVER THE YEARS

A group photo of Lee's Band assembled in the center of Felix Street
Before Urban Renewal, 8th & Felix was a very busy intersection
Very few, if any, of the buildings in this photo still exist
A huge multi level parking garage consumed 8th to 9th street
The parking garage was razed in 2016 as shown in photo #3
The hospital is building a new parking structure & stores here

  • Photo #1 was taken at 8th & Felix, note the Howitt building and others on the left side of Felix
  • Photo #2 is a St Joseph Museum photo, displays as the intersection was before Urban Renewal
  • Photo #3 is a current view taken from 8th & Frederick, note that even the parking lot is gone






  • Circa 1955
    SCHULTZ STUDIOS
    807 Frederick Avenue
    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    Photo - 1955 St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement






    Circa 1951
    ELLINGER SPORTING GOODS
    813 Frederick Avenue
    Demolished during Urban Renewal




    1 2

    ST JOSEPH SURGICAL SUPPLY
    815 Frederick
    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    815 Frederick Avenue - currently is a city parking lot
    All buildings in photo #1 were razed during Urban Renewal
    St Joseph Surgical moved further east on Frederick
    City Hall is visible at the far right of the 2nd Photo
    Leonard McCoy (Pres)
    Dward A Moore (V-Pres-Sec)
    Photo #1 submitted by Dave Sietzen




    1 2 3 4

    ZERBST PHARMACAL
    827 Frederick Ave
    2101 Messanie
    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    Before 1910, Howard A Zerbst Pharmacy was at the intersection of 3 streets
    (9th Street, Francis Street and Frederick Avenue)
    The pharmacy moved later to 2101 Messanie Street
    In 1910, Red Cross Pharmacy occupied the building
    After Urban Renewal, this intersection no longer existed

    Photo #1 - This photo was taken in 1910. Christ Episcopal Church can be seen in the background
    Photo #2 - The pharmacy later moved to 2101 Messanie Street
    Photo #3 - Cold capsules that Zerbst manufactured in St Joseph
    Photo #4 - Cold capsules that Zerbst manufactured in St Joseph




    9th & Frederick1 9th & Frederick2 9th & Frederick3 9th & Frederick3

    RED CROSS PHARMACY
    RUDOLPH'S RED CROSS PHARMACY
    837 Frederick Avenue
    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    In 1910, D. E. Curtain and H. L. Perkins obtained ownership of the pharmacy
    The last owners of this drug store were Victor and Louis Randolf
    The Rudolfs had operated this drug store for 45 years

    It was one of the few in the world allowed to use the name Red Cross
    The drug store had been in operation for 95 years. It was founded before the chartering of the Red Cross, the international aid organization so it was able to use the name Red Cross

    In 1972, the city filed an eviction action against the Red Cross Pharmacy because the Urban Renewal Program was wanting the city block on which the drug store was located for parking purposes

    The remainder of the block in which the drug store was located had already been acquired by the urban renewal authority

    Rather than relocating to another location, the Rudolfs just went out of business
    I am sure it is missed by many people

    Thomas W. Paul was the 1972 Urban Renewal executive director

    This was a block that was bounded by Felix, Francis and 9th Streets

    Both of the 2 photos are views looking westward from 9th & Francis

    Photo #1 submitted by Zet Miller
    Photo #3 - January 2, 1910 "Notice of new ownership"



    FELIX STREET INTERSECTS - NORTH 8th STREET BEGINS HERE



    1 2

    Circa 1918
    VICTORY ARCH
    8th & Felix

    Welcoming home parade for the troops coming home when WWI ended in 1918
    A Victory Arch was placed at 4th & Felix and 8th & Felix in downtown St Joseph




    1 2 3

    Circa 1954
    8th & Felix

    Photo #1 - looking south from 8th & Felix
    Photo #2 - looking east on Felix towards 8th Street
    Photo #3 - close up of the clock on west side of 8th street
    Since Urban Renewal, no structures in photo #2 exist today




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13

    A COLLECTION OF PHOTOS
    8th & Frederick
    8th & Felix Street
    8th Between Edmond & Felix

    This is a collection of photos looking in different directions from pretty much from the same area over numerous time periods

    Before Urban Renewal, Frederick dead ended into 8th just north of Felix Street
    Since Urban Renewal, Frederick Avenue now dead ends into 9th & Francis Street

    Photo #1 - Schroer's Drugs - razed in 1979 by Urban Renewal
    Photo #2 - Looking west towards 8th & Felix - look at the signs and the billboard
    Photo #3 - Taken in 1921 during the Fire Chief's funeral, United Cigar Store is on southwest corner at this time
    Photo #4 - This later became the Nechi Elna Sewing Machine Company
    Photo #5 - Original Hirsch's Department Store, southeast corner of 8th & Frederick
    Photo #6 - 8th & Frederick around the turn of the century before Hirsch's was built
    Photo #7 - 8th & Frederick looking East from 8th street
    Photo #8 - This was taken before the Pony Express Statue was placed in the park area
    Photo #9 - 1954 photo of downtown, 8th & Felix looking south. Note big clock on top of building
    Photo #10 - 1954 photo of Russell Stover on Felix
    Photo #11 - 1960's photo of Felix just west of 8th Street
    Photo #12 - Looking west down Felix from 8th St
    Photo #13 - Looking west down Felix from 8th St, a bit different view






    KIRKPATRICK JEWELRY
    8th & Felix

    At one time Kirkpatrick Jewelry was located on the southwest corner of 8th & Felix
    In later years it was relocated to 7th & Francis
    This building later was occupied by Platt College, Necci Sewing machines and numerous other retailers




    1 2 3

    VIEWS OF 8th & FELIX AREA

    Photo #1 - Circa 1915 - Looking west on Felix from 8th Street
    The Corby Building is clearly visible
    Photo #2 - Circa 1930's - Looking south on 8th from Felix Street
    Hirsch Brothers Dry Goods can be seen on the left
    The old post office in the background
    Photo #3 - Aerial view surrounding the old post office area
    Most buildings in this photo no longer exist




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

    HIRSCH BROTHERS DRY GOODS
    800 Felix

    A new more modern Hirsch's replaced the original structure
    It was remodeled once again in later years
    All the women loved to shop at Hirsch's
    They moved to East Hills Shopping Center on the Belt Highway
    Hirsch's closed some years later

    Photo #1 - A new modern Hirsh's replaced the old building
    Photo #2 - 1954 photo of downtown, on Felix looking east toward Hirsch's
    Photo #3 - Hirsch building being torn down in 1989
    Photo #4 - Old photo showing view from entrance of Hirsch
    Photo #5 - Circa 1930's photo looking south on 8th Street
    Photo #6 - Postcard showing the old original store
    Photo #7 - Hirsh's special sale
    Photo #8 - 1989 razing of the Hirsch Store
    Photo #9 - 1905 inside store photo
    Photo #10 - 1905 inside store photo
    Photo #11 - 1913 huge women's restroom in Hirsch's




    NEWS-PRESS ENGRAVING DEPT
    814 Felix




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

    Circa 1927
    THE BARTLETT BUILDING
    FIRST STATE BANK
    KFEQ RADIO BUILDING
    HOWITT BUILDING
    815 Felix
    814 Frederick
    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    This triangular building was originally the Bartlett Trust Company
    It was razed during the Urban Renewal program, it was a very hard to destroy building
    Demolition teams had to cut a large hole at each floor to allow a bulldozer to be inserted
    The bulldozer knocked down walls inside so each floor could then be demolished
    The Bartlett Trust Company was located in this building in the 1920's
    The First State Bank occupied this building in 1927
    The building shared Felix & Frederick Streets thus also shared 2 addresses
    Numerous committees fought to save this unique building during Urban Renewal
    However, they failed to prevent it's destruction
    It was listed in the 1953 city directory as the KFEQ building
    The KFEQ radio station occupied the entire 4th floor
    It was also once the home of KUSN radio station. (AKA Kissin' KUSN)
    Home Savings and Loan is known to have had their office here in 1962
    Because of the 1970's Urban Renewal program, a rarely used and defective multi-level municipal parking lot was constructed and consumed this area
    In 2016, Mosaic Hospital was given the defective multi-level parking garage if they would raze it and rebuild a safe parking lot in it's place
    The area is currently under construction and will become a multi-story parking garage with space for retail storefronts

    Photo #1 - Taken right before the wrecking ball began
    Photo #2 - Taken right before the wrecking ball began
    Photo #6 - 1922 advertisement for The Barlett Trust Co
    Photo #9 - The razing of the Howitt Building
    Photo #10 - 1962 newspaper Home Savings advertisement
    Photo #12 - 1972 newspaper photo prior urban renewal
    Photo #13 - 1947 advertisement for the KFEQ building
    Photo #14 - 1945 J Wesley Koch KFEQ Radio station manager
    Photo #15 - KFEQ Radio operator, Guy Saxton, who started Cool Crest Golf
    Photo #16 - KFEQ Radio operator, Jacqueline Jackson-Ritter
    Photo #17 - John Schraufek (standing) and Mike Fisher (seated) at KFEQ-TV
    Photo #18 - A popular quartet on KFEQ radio, Natural Quartette, early 1900's
    Photo #19 - First Banks advertisement - First State Bank was in this building in 1927
    Photo #20 - The folks who entertain you on KFEQ radio

    Photos #1 & #2 are ones that I took as the Urban Renewal razing began
    Photos #3,4 & 5 submitted by Dave Sietzen
    Photo #18 submitted by Leslie Harrison Wyman, great niece of Ezra Harrison




    ALLEN'S SHOES
    816 Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal




    MILDRED HINES REAL ESTATE
    817 Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal




    BUSINESS MEN'S ASSURANCE
    818 Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal




    VINEYARD REALTY COMPANY
    819 Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal




    PHILLIP THOMPSON REAL ESTATE
    820 Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal




    THOMPSON PAINTS
    823 Felix

    Demolished during Urban Renewal




    HOLLAND FURNACE COMPANY
    824 Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal




    Circa 1955
    BUSINESS MACHINES & EQUIPMENT COMPANY
    825-827 Felix
    Demolished during Urban Renewal




    GERTRUDE GILLIAN BEAUTY SHOP
    109 ½ North 8th Street






    COOK'S CAMERA SHOP
    110 North 8th Street




    CALVERT TYPEWRITER SUPPLY
    111 North 8th Street






    PICKWICK SHOP
    112 North 8th Street

    St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement




    KERREN BEAUTY SHOP
    112A North 8th Street




    1 2

    BART'S BEAUTY SALON
    114 North 8th Street

    Mr Ivan's Bart's Beauty Salon business card
    All buildings except the multi-story brick building are gone
    Currently a parking lot exists at this location




    LITTLE CHEF RESTAURANT
    115-117 North 8th Street




    MARHILL BEAUTY SHOP
    116 North 8th Street




    NELSON BUILDING
    118 ½ North 8th Street

    This address contained the following businesses in 1953:
    Young Engraving Shop
    Erken & VanZandt Engraving
    Norris Venard watch repair




    ABRAHAM BORISON - TAILOR
    119 North 8th Street




    Circa 1920
    HYATT COAL COMPANY
    Circa 1953
    SCANLON SEWING MACHINE COMPANY
    124 North 8th Street




    WOLFLEY BEATY SHOP
    126 North 8th Street




    Hillyard

    HILLYARD DISINFECTANT
    126 North 8th Street

    This is an early photo of Hillyard Disinfectant Company
    Hillyard, Inc. (earlier known as Hillyard Disinfectant Company and Hillyard Chemical Company) is a privately owned cleaning products company in St. Joseph, Missouri with a speciality in providing products for cleaning and maintenance of wood basketball courts



    FRANCIS STREET INTERSECTS



    1 2

    LOOKING NORTH & WEST FROM 8th & FRANCIS

    Unknown circa
    Photo #1 - Looking north on Francis Street from 8th Street
    Photo #2 - Looking west on Francis Street from 8th Street
    There is now only one tree on the right side and it is so large now you cannot see the church from this view






    Circa 1970's
    LOOKING SOUTH FROM 8th & Francis

    Circa 1970's
    Looking south on 8th Street from Francis
    Hirsch Department Store, which no longer exists, is visible on the left




    BAUMAN'S WALLPAPER
    801 Francis




    HUBER BUILDING
    GOETZE-NIEMER DENTAL LAB
    801½ Francis

    There was a dental laboratory upstairs called Goetze-Niemer
    They evidently moved here from 808 Francis






    ST JOSEPH GAS COMPANY
    802 Francis

    The Gas Company office where you paid the bill was located at 802 Francis
    These tanks and the facility were located south of the downtown area




    Circa 1932
    PIGGLY WIGGLY GROCERY STORE
    803 Francis




    1 2

    KELLER'S FURRIERS
    805-807 Francis

    Keller's, manufacturer of fine fur apparel, was established in 1910

    By 1924, Giuseppe "Joe" Manganaro operated an Italian market at 807 Francis

    Currently, Geneo's Pub is located at 805 Francis

    Geneo's Pizza occupies 807-811 Francis

    Photo #1 is Keller's 1970 newspaper advertisement

    Photo #2 - 1960 yellow page advertisement





    1 2

    MELROSE MARKET
    807 Francis
    GENEO'S PIZZA
    807-811 Francis

    In 1924, Giuseppe "Joe" Manganaro owned & operated an Italian market advertising fancy meats and groceries

    It was called Melrose Market located at 807 Francis

    In the early 1930's, Mr Manganaro moved his grocery store to 909 Frederick Avenue

    Currently, half of Geneos Pizza occupies the address where the market once stood

    As you can in the photos, the front facial & doorways are the same with some modifications

    Photo #1 & information submitted by Jeff Soto, Joe Manganaro's great grandson




    GOETZE-NIEMER DENTAL LAB
    808 Francis

    Listed at this address in the 1953 city directory




    DEBORAH'S GIFT SHOP
    809 Francis

    Listed at this address in the 1953 city directory




    HEUMANN DENTAL LABS
    811 Francis

    Listed at this address in the 1953 city directory






    Circa 1899
    D. C. CONNELL PLUMBING
    AMERICAN RED CROSS
    813 Francis

    Photo - 1899 Advertisement
    Listed as American Red Cross in 1953 city directory




    Circa 1953
    HAGER REALTY
    Circa 1955
    BURROUGHS ACCOUNTING MACHINES
    817 Francis

    Listed at this address in the 1953 city directory




    Circa 1953
    MISSOURI-KANSAS TYPEWRITER & OFFICE EQUIPMENT COMPANY
    Circa 1955
    COUPE-HINES OFFICE MACHINES
    819 Francis

    Listed at this address in the 1953 & 1955 city directories




    KING HILL BUILDING
    819½ Francis

    Listed at this address in the 1953 city directory




    PAPE APARTMENTS
    820 Francis

    Listed at this address in the 1953 city directory




    M-K ELECTRIC COMPANY
    823 Francis

    Listed at this address in the 1953 city directory






    Circa 1913
    MARSHALL AND DUNN'S GROCERY
    825 Francis

    This later became home to the St Joseph Water Company




    Circa 1953
    ST JOSEPH WATER COMPANY
    825 Francis

    Listed at this address in the 1953 city directory




    GEORGE GREER INSURANCE AGENCY
    208 North 8th Street

    Listed at this address in the 1953 city directory




    1 2 3

    MERTLAND APARTMENTS
    208 North 8th Street

    Photo #1 - Mertland Apartments, looking northwest from 8th Street
    Photo #2 - Photo #2 - 1966 St Joseph News-Press photo Mertland Apartments fire
    Photo #3 - 2014 Photo of the Mertland Apartments




    McKEEHAN FURNISHED ROOMS
    219 North 8th Street



    JULES STREET INTERSECTS





    Circa 1930's
    LOOKING SOUTH FROM 8th & JULES

    Circa 1930's
    Looking south on 8th Street from Francis
    Western Auto can be seen on left side of photo




    WILUR McDONALD PHYSICIAN
    301 North 8th Street




    1 2 3 4

    YWCA
    304 North 8th Street

    In 1888, the Young Womens Christian Association was formed
    This building, located at 304 North 8th Street, became the home to the Young Womens Christian Association in 1918
    The YWCA is still located in this building today




    First Methodist

    First Methodist Church
    323 North 8th St

    Photo submitted by Rodney Keyes



    FARAON STREET INTERSECTS



    POTTER APARTMENTS
    406 North 8th Street




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

    MISSOURI METHODIST HOSPITAL
    METHODIST MEDICAL CENTER
    HEARTLAND WEST HOSPITAL
    HEARTLAND REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER
    8th & Faraon
    Demolished By Heartland Hospital

    Missouri Methodist Hospital opened in 1924 at 8th & Faraon

    Next to it was another hospital constructed of the blond bricks which operated under two different names: Osteopathic Hospital and Mercy Hospital

    Missouri Methodist purchased the Mercy Hospital around 1957

    Carder Hall opened in the 1950's as a dorm for the student nurses at Missouri Methodist Hospital

    It was named in honor of Dr. Carder who was head of Missouri Methodist Hospital

    Sometime in the 1960's, the hospital dropped Missouri from it's name becoming Methodist Hospital

    It remained Methodist Hospital until the 1970's when it became Methodist Medical Center

    Methodist Medical Center had the new hospital built on Riverside Road

    It was then that Heartland Health System was formed. The name was changed again to Heartland West

    For a while it was known as Heartland Regional Medical Center

    The 2 hospitals were finally joined in 1984

    With the Sister's Hospital gone, Heartland Hospital now has a monopoly in St Joseph

    The entire hospital complex was torn down several years ago thus creating about an 8 square block vacant lot in the downtown area

    New houses are scheduled to be built within this big lot




    1 Zion Evangelical Church2

    Zion Evangelical Church
    Zion United Church of Christ
    816 Faraon Street



    FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 8th STREET
    SOUTH 8th STREET BEGINS HERE



    1 2

    STREET WORK ON SOUTH 8th STREET

    Major street repairs on South 8th Street between Edmond and Felix Streets







    AERIAL VIEW OF SOUTH 7th & 8th STREETS







    Circa 1918
    8th STREET
    LOOKING NORTH FROM EDMOND








    CALLIS CAFE
    102 South 8th Street

    It was located within this block long building



    >
    1 2

    Circa 1910
    PLATT'S BUSINESS COLLEGE
    PLATT SECRETARIAL SCHOOL
    8th & Felix

    Successor of the Whitmore College
    Platte College was once located on the SW corner of 8th & Felix, where Necci Sewing Machine later located
    Platte College later moved to 9th & Frederick and again to 9th & Felix where it currently resides
    Photo #1 - 1910 Platt College calendar
    Photo #2 - 1957 Platt College Advertisement




    2

    Circa 1932
    ANTHAN SHOE REPAIR
    104 South 8th

    It was located within this block long building




    1 2

    Circa 1913
    ROBINSON SHOE STORE CO
    WERNER SHOE STORE
    110 South 8th

    It was located within this block long building




    1 2

    Circa 1932
    DURHAM STATIONARY
    RAPID SHOE REPAIRING
    BEN GORDON JEWELRY COMPANY
    112 South 8th

    It was located within this block long building




    Circa 1932
    COUSINS HARDWARE
    RIX & COMPANY BUILDING MATERIALS
    113 South 8th






    Circa 1932
    RAY DONELSON BARBER
    CLARENCE ROBINSON BARBER SHOP
    114 South 8th

    It was located within this block long building






    Circa 1932
    KAUTZ PHOTOGRAPHY
    KORNER DANCING ACADEMY
    DEPARTMENT OF EMPLOYMENT SECURITY
    114 ½ South 8th

    It was located within this block long building




    1 2

    Circa 1890
    VALLEY LIVERY STABLES
    Circa 1932
    CASTER BEAUTY ACADEMY
    115 South 8th

    Photo #1 - 1890 Newspaper Advertisement for the stables
    Photo #2 - 1937 Caster's Beauty Academy
    The building no longer exists
    Currently St Joseph News-Press parking lot






    Circa 1932
    WAGGONER PAINT COMPANY
    COOK PAINT & VARNISH COMPANY
    117 South 8th

    This was the Moss Building in 1932
    Photo: Cook Paint fire in 1974




    MOSS BUILDING
    117 ½ South 8th

    Contained the following businesses:
    Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Company
    Doris Lyman Optometrist
    Vets of WWII - Post 396
    Dehart Jewelers
    Woodmen of the World




    1 2

    Circa 1932
    FREYMANN JEWELRY COMPANY
    STRATHMANN STUDIOS
    118 South 8th Street

    It was located within this block long building
    Photo #1 - A young man is standing outside of Strathmann Studios on 8th Streett




    BURTON APPLIANCE COMPANY
    119 South 8th








    Circa 1932
    WALKER'S SHOE STORE
    CLARK'S JEWELRY
    120 South 8th

    It was located within this block long building






    Circa 1932
    JOSEPH ROSEN'S MEN'S FURNISHINGS
    CASTER BEAUTY ACADEMY
    CASTER BEAUTY SHOP
    LEIBOWITZ JEWELRY
    121 South 8th




    1 2

    Circa 1930'
    LEONARD'S CAMERA STORE
    122 South 8th

    It was located within this block long building




    Circa 1932
    MANHATTAN CAFE
    DINER CAFE
    123 South 8th




    1 2 3 4 5

    Circa 1932
    WOODWORTH OPTOMETRIST
    GUST KARRAS TICKET OFFICE
    124 South 8th

    It was located within this block long building

    Photo #1 - Wrestling promoter Gust Karras walking at 8th & Edmond Street
    Photo #2 - Gust Karras having lunch with Jack Dempsey at the Victory Restaurant
    Photo #3 - Gust Karras
    Photo #4 - Gust Karras in 1928
    Photo #5 - Building where his office was located
    Photos #3 & 4 submitted by Brooke Hickman




    Circa 1932
    CHARLES HADEN'S MEN'S FURNISHINGS
    126 South 8th



    EDMOND STREET INTERSECTS





    Circa 1900
    LOOKING NORTHWEST FROM 8th & EDMOND

    Looking northwest from 8th & Edmond around 1900






    Circa 1883
    SOUTHEAST CORNER OF 8th & EDMOND

    The current corner where the Post Office is now originally looked like this
    Photo is a 1883 painting of the southeast corner before the Post Office was constructed





    1 2 3

    8th STREET
    Edmond to Felix

    Photo #1, looking north from 8th & Edmond
    Photo #2, looking north from 8th & Edmond
    Photo #3, looking south from 8th & Felix




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10


    8th & EDMOND PHOTOS

    The Greyhound Bus depot used to be here on southwest corner of 8th & Edmond

    Howard Sisson, Farm & Home Savings once occupied the building

    The bus depot was torn down and Hall Abstract replaced it with the structure in photo #1

    I am currently looking for a Photo of the old Greyhound Bus Depot

    The Jones Pharmacy used to be on the northeast corner of 8th & Edmond

    They made awesome "SUICIDES"! Anyone know what a "Suicide" soft drink was?
    (one squirt of every syrup flavor)

    All structures on east side of 8th Street from Edmond to Felix are now gone

    The "ENTIRE" east side of the block belongs to St. Joseph News Press

    Photo #1 - Hall Abstract replaced the bus depott with this structure
    Photo #2 - Northeast corner of 8th & Edmond Photo #3 - This is the Main Post Office, built in 1940
    Photo #4 - Looking north east from 8th & Edmond
    Photo #5 - View of Edmond Street looking West from 9th & Edmond
    Photo #6 - Horse & Buggy days, looking west on Edmond from 8th St
    Photo #7 - Looking north on 8th St from top floor of the post office
    Photo #8 - Looking south on 8th St from Felix
    Photo #9 - Looking south on 8th St from Felix - note the big GOETZ sign on top of building
    Photo #10 - Looking at northeast corner of 8th & Edmond - Cook Paint sign visible




    Circa 1955
    MONROE BOOKKEEPING EQUIPMENT
    811 Edmond





    1 2 3 4 5

    ST JOSEPH NEWS-PRESS/GAZETTE
    ST JOSEPH NEWS-PRESS
    825 Edmond

    The building is located on the northwest corner of 9th & Edmond

    The newspaper traces its earliest roots to the St. Joseph Gazette

    The Gazette was founded in 1845 shortly after St. Joseph was founded

    The Gazette was the only newspaper to be sent west on the first ride of the Pony Express

    In 1889, the Gazette was acquired by Charles M. Palmer

    In 1903, The St. Joseph Post started publication

    St Joseph Post was quickly purchased and called the St. Joseph News and Press

    In 1913, it moved into its headquarters at 7th & Edmond Streets

    Mr Palmer eventually bought the Gazette newspaper

    In 1939, he brought in Henry D. Bradley to run the day to day operations

    In 1951, after Palmer died, Bradley would buy the newspapers

    Today the newspaper remains in the Bradley family

    The Gazette became a morning edition only paper

    The evening edition was called the News-Press

    The Gazette ceased existance in the early 1990s

    Photo #1 - St Joseph News-Press/Gazette building taken in the 1920's
    Photo #2 - 1982 Aerial photo of the building
    Photo #3 - Circa 1915
    Photo #4 - A statue of a newsboy outside the St. Joseph News-Press
    Photo #5 - Current view of St Joseph News-Press building
    Photo #5 By Americasroof (Own work) CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    Hand Painted Paintings That Line the Post Office Lobby Walls
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12

    Circa 1840
    BLACK HILLS POST OFFICE
    POST OFFICE OF ST JOSEPH
    Circa 1940
    ST JOSEPH POST OFFICE
    US POSTAL SERVICE
    US GOVERNMENT OFFICES
    8th & Edmond

    2 postal buildings have been constructed on this site

    Located on the SE corner of 8th & Edmond, first established in 1840

    It was originally known as the Black Hills Post Office

    The name was later changed to Post Office of St Joseph

    Julius Robidoux was the first postmaster

    In 1843, the name was changed to St Joseph Post Office

    In 1939, the original structure was razed and a new building erected

    US Government offices were contained within the new building

    Many offices are now empty

    As of January 2012, the US Postal Service is wanting to close down the newest building, possibly selling it for $1.3 million
    When you walk into the main lobby, you will see numerous beautiful hand painted paintings that are displayed high along both sides of the lobby

    They were painted directly onto the walls in 1941 by Gustaf Dalstrom

    Using a tall stepladder, Blair Benjamin Carmichael photographed the paintings for a proposed book that never developed

    All of the painting photos above were submitted by Blair Benjamin Carmichael

    Photo #1 - Original Post Office
    Photo #2 - Original Post Office
    Photo #3 - April 4, 1916, "Human Fly"
    Photo #4 - replaced in 1940
    Photo #5 - Looking south 8th & Edmond
    Photo #6 - 2013 Main 8th St entrance
    Photo #7 - Old Post Office Clock & poem
    Photo #8 - United States Marine adv
    Photo #9 - Postcard new 1940 structure
    Photo #10 - Aerial original Post Office
    Photo #11 - St Joseph News-Press photo
    Photo #12 - 1906 - New Post Office
    Photo #13 - Interior view
    Photo #14 - A politician giving speech
    Photo #15 - Post Office razed in 1939
    Photo #16 - The old post office
    Painting #1 - Grain Farmers
    Painting #2 - Horseless Carriage
    Painting #3 - First Railway Post Office
    Painting #4 - Flooded River
    Painting #5 - Indian Boat Race
    Painting #6 - Joseph Robidoux House
    Painting #7 - Lewis and Clark Expedition
    Painting #8 - Loading Packet Boat
    Painting #9 - Negro river music
    Painting #10 - Pony Express leaving
    Painting #11 - Railway Station in 1880
    Painting #12 - Crossing the Missouri




    1 2 3 4

    ASSORTED PHOTOS OF 8th & EDMOND

    Photo #1 - 1907 view looking northeast - City Hall and Cathedral are visible
    Photo #2 - Postcard looking west from the post office on 8th & Edmond
    Photo #3 - Looking west at night
    Photo #4 - 1930's - Looking west from 8th & Edmond - note all the people & cars






    FARM & HOME SAVINGS
    200 South 8th Street

    A sponge given away as an advertising gimmick





    1 2

    UNION BUS TERMINAL
    HALL ABSTRACT
    200 South 8th Street

    The bus terminal opened on April 16, 1940
    The terminal was called the Greyhound Bus depot by many
    It used to be located here on southwest corner of 8th & Edmond
    Howard Sisson, Farm & Home Savings once occupied the building. The bus depot was torn down and Hall Abstract replaced it with this structure in photo #2




    TERMINAL BARBER SHOP
    208 South 8th




    1 2 3 4

    PLA-MOR BOWLING ALLEY
    216 South 8th

    The new 1976 location of the Pla-mor bowling alley
    The bowling alley no longer is in business






    Chalk & Cue Pool Hall
    216½ South 8th

    Chalk & Cue pool hall was upstairs above the bowling alley




    1 2 3

    Circa 1920
    HESSE BUILDING COMPANY
    Circa 1953
    HESSE-RIX COMPANY
    220-222 South 8th Street

    1935 Hesse-Rix Advertisement




    1 2 3 4

    Circa 1843
    HEATON-BE GOLE FUNERAL HOME
    MONTGOMERY WARD FARM STORE
    224 South 8th




    1 2 3 4

    Circa 1913
    ARTCRAFTS ENGAVING COMPANY
    224 ½ South 8th

    Artcrafts Engraving Company serves the graphic arts community through hotstamps, Magnesium engravings, flexographic plates - Templates - Molds for sand, etc
    Photos #1 & #2 show the backside of the building
    Photos #1-3 were taken during Urban Renewal



    CHARLES STREET INTERSECTS





    FORD DEALERSHIP
    8th & Charles

    Someone has been storing classic cars in the showroom ever since Ford closed back in the 1970-1980's






    Western Chemical Company
    301 South 8th Street

    Located on the southeast corner of 8th & Charles
    I have been by this building hundreds of times, never seen a business open
    The building is still standing, appears to be in good condition
    The large door has changed design wise over the years
    Last known owners: The Garvey Family
    This building has been used very little since about 1955






    Circa 1935
    THE UPTOWN SANDWICH SHOP
    310 South 8th

    The building no longer exists
    Swafford Motor Company building now exists at this location




    1 2

    Circa 1899
    MYERS & MEYERS LIVERY
    307-311 South 8th Street




    SWAFFORD MOTOR COMPANY
    302-320 South 8th




    MILLER CHEVROLET
    305 South 8th




    SAMPSON MOTOR COMPANY
    315 South 8th

    USED CAR LOT




    MILLER CHEVROLET
    317 South 8th



    SYLVANIE STREET INTERSECTS





    Circa 1932
    Miller Chevrolet Used Cars
    8th & Sylvanie



    CARNES MOTOR COMPANY
    401 South 8th

    USED CAR LOT




    1 2

    J. A. FRENCH PRIVATE HOSPITAL
    402 South 8th Street

    In 1885, this private hospital was located at 402 South 8th Street
    A "separate lying-in chamber" must have been a private room
    A modern structure now occupies the address




    Pauls' Eat Shop

    PAUL'S EAT SHOP
    402 South 8th Street

    402 South 8th Street
    Photo was submitted by Rodney Keyes






    J. A. FRENCH SANITARIUMS
    UNKNOWN EXACT ADDRESS




    HANSEN-MEADE USED CARS
    414 South 8th

    USED CAR LOT




    BUD WILSON MOTORS
    415 South 8th

    USED CAR LOT




    MARTIN MOTORS
    417-421 South 8th

    USED CAR LOT






    Circa 1936
    GRAY BROTHERS TIRES & BATTERIES
    424 South 8th Street




    HANSEN-MEADE MOTOR COMPANY
    424 South 8th



    ANGELIQUE STREET INTERSECTS



    WATSON BROTHERS TRANSPORTATION
    510-512 South 8th




    1 2 3

    ATLAS AUTO PARTS
    BECKLEY'S AUTO SUPPLY
    513 South 8th Street

    In 1948, the famous Tucker Automobile was on display here for 3 days
    Beckley's Auto Parts used to have just about any automotive or motorcycle part that you needed, especially odd or different items
    Mr Beckley always said to me when I asked him if he had something, "If you could find it I probably have it"
    You had to browse through his attic & shelves for the odity that you were searching for. Most of the time, he would have it
    On the north side of the building, he had hundreds of used & junk motorcycles
    The apartment building on the corner has been gone for many years
    The Beckley building was razed in late 2014
    It was sold and American Electric is currently building a new building at the location






    Circa 2015
    AMERICAN ELECTRIC
    513 South 8th Street

    The Beckley building was razed in late 2014
    It was sold and American Electric is currently building a new building at the location
    As of April 22,2015, it is not quite finished




    K-A FLORAL SHOP
    516 South 8th




    VAN TIRE & BATTERY SERVICE STATION
    520 South 8th




    1 2 3

    INTERSECTION OF 8th & MESSANIE

    An interesting fact about this intersection

    All 3 photos were taken looking at the northeast corner of 8th & Messanie

    Photos #1 and #2 were taken in 2 different & unknown eras

    Some time after photo #2 was taken, Messanie Street was widened

    Note the Coca Colas signs on the pet shop photo

    It may have been a grocery store or a pharmacy previously

    Photo #3 was taken after Messanie Street had been widened

    The razing of the 2 buildings in photo #1 now put the Duplex on the corner

    All structures are now gone as well as Beckley Auto Parts (513 South 8th)

    As of late 2014, only a large vacant lot remains

    American Electric is currently building a new building at this location in 2015






    Circa 1877
    BORNSIDE, CROWTHER & ROGERS FOUNDRY
    Corner of 8th & Messanie







    DUPLEX APARTMENTS
    523-525 South 8th

    This Duplex was once located on the northeast corner of 8th & Messanie
    The structure no longer exists






    BOLIN AUTOMOTIVE SUPPLY
    527 South 8th

    Part of Bolin Automotive can be seen in the photo on left side of Mannschreck's
    The structure no longer exists




    1 2

    MANNSHRECK'S MEAT COMPANY
    HANSON'S PET SHOP
    529 South 8th Street

    Once located on the northeast corner of 8th & Messanie
    The meat company was owned by Sam Mannshreck and his cousin
    Sam Mannshreck was Charles Mannshreck's uncle
    Hanson's Pet Shop occupied this building at a later date
    Hanson's Pet Shop later moved to North 24th Street, between Felix and Francis
    All buildings in the photos no longer exist
    The structure was razed when Messanie Street was widened
    Photo #1 submitted by Wheeler Schmidt



    MESSANIE STREET INTERSECTS





    ST JOSEPH NURSES SCHOOL & HOSPITAL
    8th & Messanie






    Messanie Street trolley1 Messanie Street trolley2

    MESSANIE STREET TROLLEY
    8th & Messanie

    This trolley ran 8th Street to Francis, east to 12th and south to Messanie




    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

    SMOLLY'S BAKERY
    SLEEP E-Z MATTRESS
    ARTIS HOTEL
    AUTOMOTIVE BEARING
    EIGHTH STREET FURNITURE
    FRIENDLY TAVERN
    8th & Messanie


    What once was the Smolly's Bakery & Deli, Sleep E-Z Mattress Co, Artis Hotel, Automotive Bearing, Eighth Street Furniture, Friendly tavern and other businesses over the years was demolished in June 2011

    The Desarai Lounge was the last business to occupy part of this structure

    The only building remaining in the block is what once was Max Phillips grocery

    The buildings were dilapidated, empty for many years and had become an eyesore






    TRENTON-ST JOSEPH COACH DEPOT
    TRAILWAYS BUS DEPOT
    606 South 8th

    The depot was located on the Southwest corner of 8th & Messanie
    The Desarai Lounge can be seen in the background
    These 2 photos were taken in 1978 or 1979

    Photos submitted by Rick Stafford



    LOCUST STREET INTERSECTS



    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

    BEN MAGOON'S FAMOUS DELICATESSON
    702 SOUTH 8TH
    632 SOUTH 8TH

    The original Site of Magoon's was located at 702 South 8th

    The business was moved to 632 South 8th Street at a later date

    Home of delicious rye bread sandwiches; such as scrappy beef or corned beef with slaw & kosher pickle, pickled eggs, pickled pigs feet, lots of different pickles, spices, kosher chilli and cheesecake

    My mouth is watering

    Barry Woodhall restored and reopened Ben Magoon's in January 2007

    Photo #1 - 702 South 8th Street - as it looked on June 18, 1918
    Photo #2 - Inside view early 1940's (L-R) Ben Rich, Harry Magoon, Ben Magoon
    Photo #3 - 632 South 8th St - As it appeared in 2006
    Photo #4 - Current 2011 photo at 632 South 8th
    Photo #5 - Photo taken inside Magoons Nov. 15th, 1910
    Photo #6 - Ben Magoons matchbook cover
    Photo #7 - This is a 630-632 South 8th Ben Magoon's advertisement
    Photos #8-10 taken by David Osgood in 2013




    1 2 3

    Circa 1899
    ST JOSEPH ART GLASS CO.
    KALIS SUPPLY COMPANY
    LARRY'S USED FURNITURE
    601 South 8th Street

    This building no longer exists


    1 2

    Circa 1948
    FLINCHPAUGH PET SHOP
    DESARAI LOUNGE
    603 South 8th Street

    Flinchpaugh's Pet Shop was located at this address 1948-1951
    The entire side of this block was razed in 2014



    1 2 3

    YAGER GROCERY
    609 South 8th Street

    Was located catty-corner from Ben Magoon's

    Photo #1 - Old photo of the store front
    Photo #2 - Stella & Bill Yager behind store counter
    Photo #3 - As it looked before the entire area was razed
    Photos #1 & #2 submitted by Bret Yager



    HOTEL COLUMBIA
    609 South 8th Street




    1 2 3

    Circa 1877
    ST JOSEPH BREWING COMPANY
    617 South 8th

    Circa 1877
    Steve Hayes proprietor
    This structure no longer exists

    Photo #1 1877 Circa
    Photo #2 1877 Circa
    Photo #3 This is a much later photo - note minor building facial changes




    Circa 1882
    ST JOSEPH BAKERY
    619 South 8th Street

    E. Wagner, Proprietor






    MILLERS SQUARE DEAL STORE
    619-621 South 8th Street

    The building is gone, only an empty lot remains
    In 2014, the entire side of this block was razed




    EIGHTH STREET CAFE
    620 South 8th Street






    UNKNOWN BUSINESS
    625 South 8th Street

    The building is gone, only an empty lot remains






    RUCKER SUPPLY CO
    627 South 8th Street

    The building is gone, only an empty lot remains






    BARGAIN STORE
    629 South 8th Street

    The building is gone, only an empty lot remains



    LOCUST STREET INTERSECTS



    1 2 3 4 5 6

    EINBENDER'S CLOTHING STORE
    701-705 South 8th Street

    Einbender's 1st clothing store was once located on the SE corner of 8th & Locust

    It was built in 1940 by Lester Einbender's parents Mr & Mrs A.J. Einbender

    The store doubled in size by 1948

    The above photo was taken looking SE from 8th & Locust

    The photo was taken on January 25, 1957

    Five fire companies, included 20 on duty firemen and half a dozen off duty firemen, battled the fire in 20 degree weather for 8 hours and 35 minutes
    It took them 4 hours to get it under control trying to prevent the fire from spreading to a warehouse directly south of Einbenders
    The Heitman Mattress Company was located directly south of the warehouse at 715 South 8th. Mr Heitman thanked the Fire Department for preventing the fire from reaching his building

    Almost a dozen policemen were directing traffic

    Damage was estimated at $800,000 (a lot of money back in 1957)

    The structure no longer exists








    Circa 1953
    REFINOIL SERVICE STATION
    ABC SUPPLY COMPANY
    (Auto Body Color)
    714 South 8th Street







    HEITMAN SANITARY MATTRESS
    715-717 South 8th Street







    SINGLE SOURCE PAINT SHOP
    716 South 8th Street





    FOBAIR SERVICE STATION
    722 South 8th Street





    HRENCHIR BROTHERS SERVICE
    722 South 8th Street



    PATEE STREET INTERSECTS





    ELECTRO TV REPAIR
    807 South 8th Street

    E.R. Sullwold owner




    1 2

    BURNSTEIN BAKERY
    817 South 8th

    Tokens redeemable for a 5 cent loaf of bread
    Burnstein Bakery made some great rye bread
    In the 1950's, my grandfather brought rye bread home from their bakery numerous times a week
    The building still stands, St Joe Laser occupies the building





    LUCKY THREE SANDWICH SHOP
    902 South 8th



    MONTEREY STREET INTERSECTS






    ST JOSEPH FOUNDRY
    8th & Monterey Street




    PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



    Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
    Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


    Return To Main Menu