South 7th Street
South 7th Street & Connecting Streets


Praxismarketing

Search Engine for St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
NOTE: Does not work for DECEASED CLASSMATES


FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 7th STREET
SOUTH 7th, FELIX STREET & 7th & FELIX BEGINS HERE



1 2 3

Circa 1955
MICHEL TIRE AND BATTERY
B.F. GOODRICH TIRES
325-327 South 7th StreeT
Circa 1965
TADLOCK TIRE SERVICE
B.F. GOODRICH TIRES
325-327 South 7th Street

This building was located on the northeast corner of 7th & Sylvanie
The structure no longer exists
The owner was Ed Michel
It was in operation from after WWII until about 1964
Photo #2 - 1961 News-Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1980 News-Press advertisement
Only a parking lot now exists at this location




New lamp post

NEW LAMP POSTS DOWNTOWN
South 7th Street

After Urban Renewal, the city replaced the downtown street lights with these good looking historic type lamp posts
Too bad most of the historic buildings are gone
This photo was taken on 7th Street between Edmond & Felix




AMERICAN NATIONAL BANK
101 South 7th Street






SIBYL HATS
108 South 7th Street
Circa 1980
PONY EXPRESS COIN & JEWELRY
108 South 7th Street




1 2

Circa 1916
ST JOSEPH OPTICAL COMPANY
110 South 7th Street

Photo #1 - 1916 St Joseph News Press Advertisement
Photo #2 - 1930 St Joseph News Press Advertisement




1 2 3

Circa 1922
J.C. PENNY DEPARTMENT STORE
107-111 South 7th Street






Circa 1953
JIM WEAKLEY CLOTHING
111 South 7th Street




1 2

Circa 1947
KRES RADIO
113 South 7th Street

1230 AM on your radio dial
The station began broadcasting on 1550 AM in St. Joseph, Missouri, in 1947, playing hits from the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s
The station changed its call sign to KKJO in 1962 and began playing hits from the 1950s and 1960s

KRES call sign stood for the initials of the first 4 owners. St Joseph Attorney Basil Kaufman, Broadcaster Paul Roscoe, Banker Don Epstein, and pharmacist Al Shanin

Photo 1 - 1949 KRES radio advertisement
Photo 2 - KRES Disc Jocky





1 Downtown2 3 4 5 6

MONROE CLUB
FIEDLERS CAFE
JACK & JILL CHILDREN'S SHOP
114 South 7th Street

In 1932, this was Fiedlers Cafe
In later years, it was Jack & Jill's Childrens Shop
Still later it became Drum Monkey Percussion
Over the years, someone changed the facade (see photo #3)
In 2014, the facade was changed again (see photo #4)
Photo #1 - The Monroe Club
Photo #4 - Drum Monkey Percussion
Photo #5 - German American Bank, Jack & Jills and Mo-Kansas Tel
Photo #6 - 1953 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Circa 1896
MISSOURI-KANSAS TELEPHONE CO
AMERICAN LEGION
Circa 1953
DICK'S FLOWERS
116 South 7th Street

The Missouri-Kansas Telephone Company was located at 116 South 7th Street
The building was built before the turn of the century and it is still standing
Numerous businesses have occupied the building
It was at one time the home of Dick's Flowers
The American Legion building once occupied the 2nd floor of this building
The American Legion building next door at 116 ½ South 7th burned down in 1991 is now an empty lot
In 2014, Austin Benson and his wife purchased this building and are in the process of restoring it
Check out the antique metal staircase railing in photo #10 & #13

Photo #1 - Missouri-Kansas Telephone Company
Photo #2 - As it looked in the mid 2000's
Photo #3 - As it looked when Dick's Flowers occupied the building
Photo #4 - As it looked when it was Missouri-Kansas Telephone Company
Photo #5 - 1897 photo of the telephone operators
Photo #6 - 2014 photo, Missouri and Kansas telephone clay tile wire conduits hidden behind wall
Photo #7 - 2014 photo, Dicks flower sticker on window frame
Photo #8 - 2nd floor flooring displaying American Legion symbol
Photo #9 - Dick's Flowers floral cooler
Photo #10 - Staircase leading to 2nd floor
Photo #11 - Artifacts found - Marvels cigarettes haven't been around for many years
Photo #12 - 1910 Missouri-Kansas St Joseph News-Press advertisement
Photo #13 - Metal staircase sandblasted and ready to paint
Photo #16 - 1953 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #17 - 1909 Missouri-Kansas News Press advertisement




1 2 3

PONY EXPRESS POST 359
116 ½ South 7th Street

This American Legion Post was once located on the 2nd floor above Dick's Flowers

Photo #1 - Front view of the building
Photo #2 - 2nd floor flooring displaying American Legion symbol
Photo #3 - 1954 photo showing the marques of both American Legion Posts






Circa 1929
CASTER BEAUTY ACADEMY
117 South 7th Street

Photo - 1981 News Press advertisement



1 2 Maid-rite3

AMERICAN LEGION POST #11
120½ South 7th

Next door to each other were 2 of Missouri's largest American Legion Posts
Macdonald-Dugger-Duncan Post #11 (left) & Pony Express Post #359 (right)
The American Legion Post #11 burned down in 1991. It resided above Maid-Rite
This building no longer exists,a parking lot now consumes this space

Photo #1 - 1954 photo showing the marques of both American Legion Posts
Photo #2 - Post #11 St Joseph News-Press advertisement
Photo #3 - The current parking lot at this location



EDMOND STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1919
RETTIG'S CAFETERIA
7th & Edmond

Photo - 1919 St Joseph News Press advertisement




Downtown

COMMERCE BUILDING
NE Corner of 7th & Edmond

Located on the northeast corner of 7th & Edmond Streets




Downtown

Edmond Street - Looking west from 8th

Looking west from nearby 8th Street
Missouri Theater, House of Wheels and Toys and
Strathman Photo Studios are visible in the photo




1 2

Circa 1889
THE BALLINGER BUILDING

Circa 1930
THE MULTI-LETTER COMPANY
620 Edmond
Circa 1940
KROGER
620 Edmond

Photo #1 - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1930 City Directory advertisement




Hermans1 Hermans2 Hermans3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

HERMAN DRUG STORES
620-624 Edmond
HERMAN DRUG STORES
6th & Edmond
HERMAN DRUG STORES
6th & Angelique

Once there were 9 Herman Drug stores open in St Joseph
There were 3 Herman Drug stores downtown in close vicinity to one another
The buildings at 624 Edmond and 6th & Angelique are still standing
The building at 6th & Edmond was destroyed by fire in 1962
The 624 Edmond building has been sold and is currently being remodeled

Photo #1 - Herman's Drug Store, 624 Edmond - Out of business
Photo #2 - Herman's Drug Store, 6th & Angelique - Out of business
Photo #3 - 1962 newspaper photo, Herman's Drug store 7th & Edmond
Photo #4 - 1962 6th & Edmond fire
Photo #5 - 1962 6th & Edmond fire
Photo #6 - 1962 6th & Edmond fire
Photo #7 - 1962 6th & Edmond fire
Photo #8 - Advertisement showing the 9 Herman drug stores once in existence
Photo #9 - 1958 advertisement showing the 7 remaining Herman drug stores
Photo #10 - Herman's Drug Store 624 Edmond
Photo #11 - Herman's Drug Store 624 Edmond
Photo #12 - Herman's Drug Store 6th & Edmond
Photo #13 - Herman's Drug Store 6th & Edmond




Downtown1 Downtown2 Downtown3 Downtown4 Downtown5 Downtown6

Edmond Street - Between 7th & 8th

Photo #1 - 1930's looking East from 7th & Edmond
Photo #2 - 2013 looking East from almost at corner of 7th & Edmond
Photo #3 - Dave Sietzen's father took this Photo from one of the upper floors of the main post office. The Greyhound Bus Depot can be seen in the foreground. A car is parked in front of House of Wheels and Toys
Photo #4 - A close up of the Missouri Theater
Photo #5 - A 1958 photo of the south side of Edmond Street between 7th & 8th St. The Electric theater was playing Lafayette Escadrille, you can see Jim Wakely's hot dogs, Electric Shoe Repair, Spector's Sporting Goods & the Victory Restaurant. The Greyhound bus terminal can be seen at the end of the block
Photo #6 - South Park bus heading east on Edmond, Missouri Theater and Sanitary Lunch in the background




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1845
GAZETTE
Circa 1852
HERALD
Circa 1900
GAZETTE-HERALD NEWSPAPER
Corner of 7th & Edmond

The Gazette began publishing in 1845
The Herald began publishing in 1852
The Gazette-Herald began publishing in August 1900
The Gazette-Herald's last publication was on Mar. 29, 1902
The offices for both were located at 7th & Edmond
Exact address is unknown
Photo #1 - Circa 1901





Circa 1875
UNION COMPANY FURNITURE FACTORY
Corner of 7th & Edmond

The Union Company Furniture showroom was located on Felix between Felix & Edmond
Exact addresses are unknown



1 2

Circa 1889
COMMERCE LOAN & INVESTMENT COMPANY
Circa 1945
COMMERCE LOAN & INVESTMENT COMPANY
701 Edmond






Circa 1954
PARK FLORAL
702 Edmond




1 2 3 4

Circa 1929
LORENZ & COMPANY
704 Edmond
Circa 1947
WAKELY'S ORANGE BAR
704 Edmond

Mr Wakely had 3 Wakely's Orange Bar locations in downtown in 1950
The stores were located at 507 Edmond, 502 Francis and 704 Edmond
When I was home delivering milk to Mr Wakely in the 1970's, he told me his little stores made him a millionaire

Photo #1 - Very old advertisement - possible when he only had one store
Photo #2 - 1947 advertisement
Photo #3 - 1950 telephone book listings
Photo #4 - 1929 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3

Circa 1918
KIMBALL EYESIGHT SPECIALIST
705 Edmond
Circa 1940
MIDWAY BUFFET
705 Edmond




1 2 3 4

Circa 1920
KIMBALL OPTICS
706 Edmond
Circa 1930
ELECTRIC SHOE REPAIR & SHINING PARLOR
(Previous named: Rapid Shoe Repair & Shining Parlor)
706 Edmond
Circa 1960
SPECTOR'S SPORTING GOODS
706 Edmond

Kaul had a grocery store with a cafeteria upstairs
The building no longer exists, only a parking lot remains
Photo #4 - 1930 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1892
PITTSBURGH PLATE GLASS CO
707 Edmond




1 2 3 4

Circa 1843
DAVID J HEATON FUNERAL HOME
D J HEATON & COMPANY
D E HEATON & COMPANY
HEATON-BeGOLE UNDERTAKING COMPANY
HEATON-BEGOLE UNDERTAKERS
HEATON-BOWMAN FUNERAL HOME
First Street
6th & Francis Street
109-111 South 7th Street
711-713 Felix
207 North 6th Street
707 Edmond
319 South 10th

David J. Heaton began the oldest funeral home in the State of Missouri and the oldest business firm in the City of St. Joseph
David J. Heaton Funeral Home was founded in 1842 in Sparta, Missouri
St. Joseph was originally a trading post settlement known as Black Snake Landing, a starting point for westbound wagon trains.
Mr. Heaton, was primarily a cabinet maker who also built caskets and served as arranger and director of funerals.
With the arrival of Joseph Robidoux, a French-Canadian Settler to the Landing, the community began to expand.
By 1843, the growing settlement was incorporated and named for St. Joseph, a saint.
Mr. Heaton moved into the immediate area of the city and established a cabinet shop/funeral home on First Street.
In 1844, the business moved to the corner of Sixth and Francis Streets and remained there until 1859
From 1852-54, Mr. Heaton served as city Coroner and was the city Fire Marshall.
In 1875, the firm moved to 109-111 South 7th Street, when David E. Heaton( son of the founder) joined his father
He did two-thirds of the undertaking in the city and conducted between 600-800 funerals annually.
He was up-to-date in everything that pertained to embalming and caring for the dead.
He manufactured his own goods, turning upwards of 1000 caskets per year out of his plant.
The manufacturing was entirely under the supervision of George J. BeGole
In 1876, the firm became known as D.J. Heaton & Company and moved to 207 North 6th Street.
In 1881, David E. Heaton purchased the firm from his father
The funeral home moved to 707 Edmond under the name D.E. Heaton and Company.
In 1896, David J. Heaton was declared the first licensed undertaker in the United States
Upon his death in 1898, he was buried in Mt. Mora Cemetery.
In 1913 David E. Heaton merged with George J. BeGole forming Heaton-BeGole Undertaking Company.
For the first time, ambulance service complemented the range of services provided by Heaton-BeGole
In 1921, David E. Heaton died. George J. BeGole became president/manager and the firm moved to 319 South 10th
. This new location had been originally built as a residence, served as a boarding home and the city public library.
In 1927, Heaton-BeGole & Bowman Inc. was formed. George J. BeGole died in 1942.
In 1942, Frank A. Bowman, then acting manager, headed the new company, Heaton-Bowman Funeral Home.




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1908
S. S. ALLEN GROCERY
701 Edmond Street
Circa 1925
KAUL'S FOOD CENTER
701 Edmond Street
Circa 1925
KAUL'S CAFETERIA
701½ Edmond Street

Kaul had a grocery store with a cafeteria upstairs
Photo #3 - 1925 Kaul's Food Center News Press advertisement
Photo #4 - 1909 Allen's News Press advertisement
Photo #5 - 1930 City Directory advertisement




Basket Store

THE BASKET STORE
707 Edmond

Photo of the inside of the Basket Store that was located at 707 Edmond




House of Wheels and Toys1 House of Wheels and Toys2 3 4 5

Circa 1935
ST JOSEPH PAINT & GLASS COMPANY
707 Edmond
BECHTOLD & ROUSE BICYCLE SHOP
707 Edmond
HOUSE OF WHEELS & TOYS
707 Edmond
BIG BOY'S TOYS
707 Edmond
BAD ART BISTRO RESTAURANT
707 Edmond

This building once housed Pittsburg Platte Glass and a Basket Store

Then it became Bechtold & Rouse Bicycle Shop

The Bicycle shop was sold to Red Rouse and became the House of Wheels and Toys

Red Rouse ran it for many years selling hobbies, crafts and toys

Around 1990, Red sold it to Curt Gardener who renamed it Big Boy's Toys

Big Boy's Toys closed it's doors in January 1997

A dress shop replaced the Hobby Shop

The dress shop suffered a terrible fire in 1998 and was remodeled

Bad Art Bistro Restaurant currently occupies the building

The restaurant offers great gourmet food in a quirky, artistiy atmosphere

Bad Art Bistro is located near the historic Missouri Theater

There used to be a tavern to the west, it was torn down after the 1998 fire

The tavern was called the Midway, then the Office, and then finally Avis Tavern






Circa 1950
DR. W. A. GREEN
Optometrist
708½ Edmond




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1939
VICTORY CAFE
Circa 1955
VICTORY RESTAURANT
LaFONDA RESTAURANT
708-710 EDMOND STREET

Located just west of the Electric theater downtown was the Victory Cafe. After the Victory closed it became LaFonda
The Electric Theater and all adjacent buildings were torn down leaving a large empty lot
Photo #1 - 1962 LaFonda newspaper advertisement
Photo #2 - 1966
Photo #3 - 1960 St Joseph News-Press photo
Photo #4 - 1955 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #5 - 1939 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #6 - 1959 St Joseph News Press advertisement






MAJESTIC PHOTOGRAPHY STUDIO
712 Edmond Street

The Majestic Photography Studion was located within the Majestic Theater
The photo was taken by the Majestic Studio
A large parking lot now exists at this location




1 2

Circa 1910
MAJESTIC THEATER
SILENT MOVIES & VAUDEVILLE
Circa 1915
ELECTRIC THEATER
SILENT MOVIES & VAUDEVILLE
Circa 1926
NEW ELECTRIC THEATER
SILENT MOVIES & VAUDEVILLE
712 Edmond

The Majestic Theater opened in 1910 playing silent movies and vaudeville acts

In September, 1915, the Majestic was renamed the Electric Theater
Electric Silent Movie Theater Grand Opening:Thurs September 23,1915
The Grand Opening show was Wilton Lackaye and Clara Kimball Young in TRILBY
Admission was 10 cents
Photo #1
1925 photo of the Majestic Theater, then renamed as the Electric Theater
In 1925, there was an alley on the east side of the theater
Note the telephone pole and all of the wires
In 1926, the Majestic Theater building was torn down
A new Electric Movie Theater was constructed in it's place
Photo #2
St Joseph News-Press photo of the new Electric Theater & article
The article states at one time a skating rink was inside
However I believe it was inside of the original Majestic Theater

MAJESTIC THEATER INFORMATION

Majestic Theater Grand Opening: Thurs Oct 13,1910
General Admission was 10 cents and Box Seats reserved was 20 cents
High Class Motion Pictures
Sullivan and Considine Vaudeville
Doors Open 7:30
Last Date Open: Friday April 23, 1915
Last Movie: The Arrival of Major Janet & Buster Brown at Hicksville




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Circa 1926
ELECTRIC THEATER
712 Edmond

In 1910, the Majestic Theater opened playing silent movies and vaudville acts

In 1915, Renamed to the Electric Theater showing silent movies

In 1926, the theater was totally remodeled and considered the new Electric Theater

The theater continued playing silent movies and vaudville acts

The Electric & Missouri Theaters were owned by Durwood

In the 1950's, when exiting the theater, you would smell Wakely's orange drink & hot dogs

Wakely's was a small snack bar just west of the Electric Theater

Wakely's was torn down and replaced by the Victory Restaurant

Later, the LaFonda restaurant replaced the Victory Restaurant

Does anyone remember the shoe shop to the east of the Electric?

Anyone remember the shoe shine stand on the sidewalk?

I remember buying my first Buttercup Popcorn at the Electric Theater. A box of plain popcorn was 15 cents and the Buttercup was 25 cents. That was a lot of money for a kid back then who only had 50 cents to spend for snacks

I remember coming to the Electric on certain Saturdays for a cartoon/serial matinee

On a regular basis, they always had a cartoon, a newsreel, a 3 stooges movie short, (or a serial like Rocket Man,Flash Gordan, etc) plus 2 full length B Class movies

The Electric theater closed down after the last shows on Saturday, October 28, 1961

The Electric theater was razed in 1977

Majestic Theater Grand Opening: Thurs Oct 13,1910
Renamed as the Electric Theater
Grand Opening: Thurs September 23,1915 showing silent movies
The Grand Opening show was Wilton Lackaye and Clara Kimball Young in TRILBY
Admission was 10 cents
Last date open: Saturday, October 28, 1961
The building was destroyed in 1977
Last shows played:
Susan Travers in The Snake Woman
Kieron Moore in Doctor Blood's Coffin
Theater data submitted by Terry Plumb

Photo #1 - 1925 photo of the Electric (Majestic) Theater, the alley remains
Photo #2 - 1926 new Electric Theater
Photo #3 - 1926 new Electric Theater
Photo #4 - Looking east on edmond from 7th Street
Photo #5 - 1911 Map of Edmond & Charles between 7th & 8th
Photo #6 - Where the Electric once stood
Photo #7 - Most of the block is now one big parking lot
Photo #8 - The Buttercup Popcorn girls introducing the new product
Photo #9 - A Wakley advertisement
Photo #10 - St Joseph & Power installed this 550 bulb sign in 1926
Photo #11 - 1926 photo - a much larger and better photo of the new Electric
Photo #12 - December 1962 LaFonda newspaper advertisement
Photo #13 - March 1959 Victory Restaurant newspaper advertisement
Photo #14 - Destruction of the Electric Theater in 1977
Photo #15 - 1966 LaFonda newspaper article
Photo #16 - Recent photo of where the Electric Theater & LaFonda once stood
Photo #17 - Buttercup Popcorn




Circa 1898
KAYBEE WOMEN'S STORE
709-711 Edmond






Circa 1949
Ake's Golden Nugget Confectionary Shop
711 Edmond






Circa 1910
AMERICAN HAT & DRY CLEANERS
Circa 1953
AM CLEANERS
713 Edmond






W. A. FRANK CIGAR
MANUFACTURING COMPANY
713 Edmond
Circa: 1906

In 1906, there were 115 union cigar makers. Mr Frank had one of the largest cigar making companies in St Joseph
Back then, all of the cigars were rolled by hand




JUDA CIGAR STORE
714 Edmond




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26


Circa 1926
MISSOURI THEATER
713-725 Edmond

The Missouri Theater used to be owned by Durwood Theaters

Durwood also owned the Electric Theater, Skylark and Belt Drive-in theaters

It is located on Edmond Street, between 7th & 8th

It was and is still St Joseph's most elegant theater

In 1927, 2 Seaman & Schuske workmen spent 2 months building the box office

The box office was constructed of ornamental steel and grille work, the upper and lower parts were covered with mosaic tiles of many colors

This box office has since been replaced with a more modern one

The colored photos show the remodeled Missouri Theater

There's quite a bit of facial difference between what it looked like in the 1930's and today

The Missouri usually only played a cartoon and one A Class movie

Some of the above photos show the remodeled Missouri Theater

In 2011, the theater suffered some smoke damage from a fire in an adjacent building

The Missouri Theater is now primarily an Arts Theater; dancing, singing, & misc acts

Last date movies were shown: Tuesday September 8, 1970

The last movie shown was: Elliott Gould and Candice Bergen "In Getting Straight"

Photo #1 - Box office built in 1927 by S&S
Photo #2 - Modern box office replaced the 1927 one
Photo #3 - 1927 Photo of the Missouri Theater
Photo #4 - As it looked in the 1920-1930's
Photo #5 - As it looked in the 1920-1930's
Photo #6 - As it looked in the 1920-1930's
Photo #7 - Lobby and stairs leading to the Mezzanine
Photo #8 - The Messanine
Photo #9 - The ceiling
Photo #10 - Modern day photo of front entrance
Photo #11 - Modern color photo
Photo #12 - Modern photo & restored Model A's
Photo #13 - Interior view
Photo #14 - Interior side wall
Photo #15 - The magnificent ceiling
Photo #16 - View from balcony
Photo #17 - The ceiling and balcony
Photo #18 - interior side wall and seating
Photo #19 - Side wall in lobby
Photo #20 - As it looked in the 1950's
Photo #21 - Side wall scultpture (1961 photo)
Photo #22 - color photo of the Mezzanine
Photo #23 - Recent front view of the theater
Photo #24 - Theater stage curtains
Photo #25 - B&W of the theater
Photo #26 - January 1,1927 Drawing of new Missouri theater & buildings at 8th & Edmond




1 2

Circa 1908
IDEAL CLOTHING COMPANY
716 Edmond
SPECTOR SPORTING GOODS
716 Edmond






Circa 1951
CERTIFIED JEWELRY COMPANY
717 Edmond
(Next to the Missouri Theater)




1 2

LA SALLE POOL HALL
717½ Edmond
(Next to the Missouri Theater)




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1930
GORDON JEWELRY COMPANY
718 Edmond
Circa 1950
KAY'S OUTLET APPLIANCE
718 Edmond
Circa 1955
SEWELL PAINT & VARNISH
718 Edmond






Circa 1945
KORDEL STUDIOS
719 Edmond




1 2 3 4

Circa 1911
MENTER & ROSENBLOOM COMPANY
720 Edmond
Circa 1919
LEIBOWITZ CLOTHING COMPANY
720 Edmond
Circa 1942
LEIBOWITZ CLOTHING COMPANY
720 Edmond

Photo #2 - 1937 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #4 - 1942 St Joseph News Press advertisement



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1905
ST JOSEPH CANDY KITCHEN
721 Edmond Street
Circa 1905
W. R. WOODWORTH
Optician
721 Edmond Street
JIM NIKES' SANITARY LUNCH
721 Edmond Street

Once located east of the Missouri Theater
During WWII, the building was temporarily used for the Greek War Relief Association

Photo #1 - Inside view of Sanitary Lunch at 721 Edmond
Photo #2 - Sanitary Lunch counter view
Photo #3 - View from 8th & Edmond
Photo #4 - WWII St Joseph newspaper photo Greek War Relief Association using the building
Photo #5 - Photo Circa 1956
Photo #6 - Sanitary Lunch St Joseph Newspress advertisement




1 2

LOGAN BUILDING
722 Edmond

On Oct 30, 1960 fire destroyed the Logan building and numerous others were damaged
Read the newspaper article (photo #2) for complete information on all of the businesses that were effected






Circa 1908
POLITZ CONFECTIONARY
724 Edmond Street
Circa 1926
GROOMBOS CONFECTIONARY
724 Edmond Street

Andrew Politz moved to St. Joseph around 1905. His decision to open a confectionery shop in 1908 selling candies, chocolates, bonbons, ice creams and ices was a risky one. St. Joseph citizens had a sweet tooth, but there were already more than 50 confectionery shops scattered around local neighborhoods as well as several candy companies, including Chase, Douglas and Poe. But he must have known something about the business, for by 1910 Politz also owned two candy businesses, the Missouri Candy Kitchen and the Sugar Bowl. Politz Confectionery closed between 1924 and 1926. A city directory for 1926 lists a new confectionery at the same address, owned by a Peter Groombos.






LOOKING NORTH ON 7th TOWARDS EDMOND






Circa 1953
JACOBS AUTO BODY SUPPLIES
202-208 South 7th Street






Circa 1920
CENTRAL COAL & COKE COMPANY
Circa 1953
ELECTROLUX AGENCY
203 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot
Photo is 1925 News Press advertisement





HARRY LIMLE BARBER SHOP
205 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot





NATIONAL CLEANERS
207 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot





ABRAHAM COHEN TAILOR
213 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1938
A & P FOOD MARKET
214 South 7th Street
Circa 1961
GREEN HILLS SUPER MARKET
214 South 7th Street
Circa 2013
CBIZ INSURANCE AGENCY
214-222 South 7th Street

In 1938, this was an A & P grocery store
In 1961, this was a Green Hills grocery store
As of 2013, it is the home of the CBIZ Insurance company




ATLAS PRINTING COMPANY
215-217 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot




1 2 3

Circa 1923
SAUNDERS SYSTEM AUTO RENTAL
227 South 7th Street
Circa 1948
COMMERCIAL CAR RENTAL
227 South 7th Street
Circa 1950
McCORD-BELL CAR & TRUCK RENTAL
227 South 7th Street
HERTZ DRIVE-UR-SELF SYSTEM
227 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot
Photo #1 - 1923 Saunders News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1948 Commercial Car News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1950 McCord-Bell News Press advertisement



CHARLES STREET INTERSECTS



Circa 1880-1882
Kuechle & Greiner Brewery
7th & Charles Street

Kuechle & Greiner Brewery opened in 1880 and closed in 1882 it was open for 2 years.




Circa 1875-1880
E. J. Kuechle Brewery
7th & Charles Street

E. J. Kuechle Brewery opened in 1875 and closed in 1880 it was open for 5 years. Breweries that are only open for a couple of years like this did not have a long time to produce advertising and collectibles so they tend to be more scarce than breweries with more longevity.




Circa 1853-1875
Joseph Kuechle Brewery
7th & Charles Street

Joseph Kuechle Brewery opened in 1853 and closed in 1875, it was open for 22 years. Joseph Kuechle Brewery was in an active brewing city. St. Joseph, MO was listed as having 16 breweries, which is quite a few.




1 2 3 4

Circa 1932
TRI-ANGLE MOTOR COMPANY
Authorized HUPMOBILE dealership
7th & Charles Street






Circa 1927
FLYNN TIRE STORES
7th & Charles Street




1 2 3 4

CIRCA 1889
ST JOSEPH BREWERY
7th & Charles

Was located on the south side of Charles between 7th & 8th
Andriano was president of St Joseph Brewery who also owned Andriano Bottling on North 2nd Street
Photo #3 is his soda pop bottle




1 2 3

Circa 1860
TURNER HALL
7th & Charles

Located on the South side of Charles Between 6th and 7th
Turner Hall was built at a cost of $50,000
The Turnvereins established a group here in 1855

The cornerstone for Turner Hall was laid March 29, 1860, and the Turnvereins, or Turners, began using it in August 1860
Today, the site is home to the YMCA

The first Turner Hall was known as the Cradle of Liberty
Photo #3 - 1910 St Joseph News Press advertisement




Central Fire Station1 Central Fire Station2 Central Fire Station3 Central Fire Station4

CENTRAL FIRE STATION
CIRCA: 1890
NE Corner 7th & Charles

The first Central Fire Station was located on the NE corner of 7th & Charles
This structure no longer exists

Photo #1 - Circa 1890
Photo #2 - Circa 1890
Photo #3 - Circa 1890
Photo #4 - Circa 1890




SLYVANIE STREET INTERSECTS



1 2

Circa 1905-1923
ST JOSEPH VETERINARY
COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL
7th & Slyvanie Street
9th & Mary Street

St. Joseph Veterinary College was established in 1905.
For two years, classes were held in a building in South St. Joseph.
In 1907, Drs. Steele, Good, and Lomax moved the school to a building at 7th and Sylvanie Streets.
The College offered a 3-year course, similar to other veterinary schools at that time, with a degree of Doctor of Veterinary Science.
The St. Joseph Veterinary College graduated its first class, a class of 13, on March 13, 1908
The College soon outgrew this building and needed new facilities of all kinds, as well as more teachers.
A building was purchased at 9th and Mary for the college where it was located until it closed in 1923




MISSOURI UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE
MISSOURI CAREER CENTER
301 South 7th Street




JACOBS AUTO BODY SHOP
302-308 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot






Circa 1953
McCORD-BELL AUTO PARK
Circa 1960
DOWNTOWN RENT-A CAR
307 South 7th Street




1 2

STEVENS HAT COMPANY
314 South 7th Street

The Stevens Hat factory orginated in St Joseph in 1917
In 1970, they moved to 3601 South Leonard Road and took over the Stetson label
They manufactured for Stetson until they moved production to Garland,TX

Photo #1 - 1943 Newspaper advertisement
Photo #2 - 1954 Newspaper advertisement






MICHEL TIRE & BATTERY COMPANY
335-327 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot



SYLVANIE STREET INTERSECTS



1 2 3

CENTRAL FIRE STATION #1
SE Corner 7th & Sylvanie

This modern Central Fire Station is located on SE corner of 7th & Sylvanie




1 2

Circa 1929
CENTRAL BATTERY COMPANY
408-410 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently only a parking lot exists
Photo #1 - 1929 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1930 Business card





ARNOLD AUTO COMPANY
402-410 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot





TAYLOR ALIGNMENT SERVICE
412 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot





ANN'S CAFE
414 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot





HANSON-MEADE LOT
415 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot




Electric Magneto

ELECTRICAL & MAGNETO SERVICE
H & R TIRE & AUTO
425 South 7th Street

The original structure is gone
H & R Tire & Auto building at 701 Angelique has replaced the building



ANGELIQUE STREET INTERSECTS



HATHAWAY SERVICE STATION
501 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Circa 1878
YELLOW CAB COMPANY
506 South 7th Street

The Yellow Cab company was located on the Southwest corner of 7th & Angelique
The building still exists

Photo #1 - 2008 photo of Yellow Cab building
Photo #2 - Yellow Cab advertisement
Photo #3 - 1968 photo of Yellow Cab
Photo #4 - 1942 advertisement celebrating 65 years
Photo #5 - 1950 cab companies in town
Photo #6 - 2012 photo
Photo #7 - Old rusting Neon sign
Photo #8 - 1978 Advertisement
Photo #9 - 1967 Advertisement




McADOO ELECTRIC COMPANY
507 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot




MOONEY MOVING & STORAGE
514-520 South 7th Street






Circa 1913
BIEHLEN FOUNDRY & MACHINE WORKS
516 South 7th Street

Photo - 1913 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1890
H.C. BURKE MANUFACTURING
520 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently an empty lot



MESSANIE STREET INTERSECTS



Saddle Shop1 Saddle Shop2 Saddle Shop3

BILL'S SADDLE SHOP
7th & Messanie

Located on the Northwest corner of 7th & Messanie, this used to be Bill's Saddle Shop
A carpet store once occupied this building
The last time I looked, this structure was empty




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Circa 1891
CENTRAL POLICE STATION
701 Messanie
Circa 1941-1943
N.S.HILLYARD VOCATIONAL SCHOOL
701 Messanie
Circa 1950
U. S. MARINE CORPS RESERVE
4th 105 Howitzer group
701 Messanie
Circa 1970s
CANTEEN
701 Messanie
Circa 1989
NATIONAL MILITARY HERITAGE MUSEUM
701 Messanie

The St Joseph police department was created in 1858
The addition of the railroad spurred additional growth and by 1890 the police force had grown to 40 patrolmen in 10 districts
On July 17, 1890 the mayor signed an ordinance appropriating $10,000 to build a new Central Police Station on the site of a Hay and Livestock market
An additional $10,000 was later appropriated to complete the interior in time for occupancy on November 25, 1891
Continued city growth and expansion of police service necessitated an addition to the building in 1909
In 1939, the Police Department moved to a new headquarters building
The original Central Police Station saw varied subsequent uses including housing a U.S. Marine Corps howitzer unit after World War II, a taxi cab company, and a bag factory
Since 1989 the building has been the proud home of the National Military Heritage Society and museum
It was N.S.Hillyard Vocational-Technical school during 1941-1943
It is located on the Northeast corner of 7th & Messanie
There were lots of old military memories in this museum
Some years ago, a local model railroad club had an HO scale model train military themed layout inside the building

Photo #1 - Circa 1912 - police station and motorcycles
Photo #2 - National Military Museum
Photo #3 - National Military Museum
Photo #4 - National Military Museum
Photo #5 - Current view of the rear of the building
Photo #6 - 1970-1980 photo
Photo #7 - 1912 St Joseph Police Department - traffic division
Photo #8 - 1903 Canine unit
Photo #9 - Unknown circa and whose newspaper photo
Photo #10 - 1890 St Joseph Herald newspaper article
Photo #11 - 1931 Motorcycle policement
Photo #12 - 1931 Motorcycle policement




1 2 3

Circa 1898
AMERICAN WALLPAPER & PAINT
SECOND SEASON SHOP
601 South 7th Street




1 2 3 4

Circa 1912
ANISER HARNESS MANUFACTURING
607-609-611 South 7th Street
Circa 1916
ANISER-TRACHSEL AUTO COMPANY
607-609-611 South 7th Street
Circa 1955
KIRWAN FURNITURE WAREHOUSE
607-609-611 South 7th Street
G. N. BRAUCHER & COMPANY
607-609-611 South 7th Street

Photo #1 - 1912 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1914 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1916 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4

MY LAUNDRY COMPANY
613-615 South 7th Street
GETCHELL HOME LAUNDRY & DRY CLEANERS
613-615 South 7th Street
ST JOSEPH TOWEL & LINEN SERVICE
613-615 South 7th Street
108-116 North 2nd Street
Circa 1981
ST JOSEPH FURNACE & SUPPLY COMPANY
615 South 7th Street
ST JOSEPH TOWEL & LINEN SERVICE
Unknown address on King Hill Avenue

The North 2nd St. building was demolished during Urban Renewal
Hathon G. Getchell embarked in the laundry business as president of "My Laundry Company" at 613-615 South Seventh Street. The building on 7th Street later burned down

Mr Getchell then organized the Getchell Laundry Company, which, in 1913, was consolidated with the Pearl Laundry Company

He operated two plants, one on the corner of Third and Robidoux streets, and the other on King Hill Avenue

Both plants were fully equipped with all the most modern appliances for doing first-class laundrying and dry cleaning

Both plants were up-to-date in every respect, and both use auto delivery wagons
In 1952, it became St Joseph Towel & Linen Service
St Joseph Towel & Linen was in business from 1952 until 4/18/1988




ST JOSEPH FURNACE & SUPPLY COMPANY
613-615 South 7th Street




CARL WANK VETERINARIAN
616 South 7th Street




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

ST JOSEPH FOODS
619-625 South 7th Street
3207 South 759 Highway

Manufacturer of jellies, preserves, apple butter, vinegar, syrups, and salad dressings

Aug. 1, 1945 The company began as a partnership: Harold L. & Leora N. O'Reilly and J. E. Hunt

Aug. 20, 1948 The company was incorporated by H.L. O'Reilly and J. E. Hunt

Fred Hunt took over his father's interest when the J.E. passed away

Aug. 1948 The 7th street address was expanded

Nov. 1952 The 7th street address was expanded again

July, 1963 The company built a new and larger plant on 759 Highway

Mr O'Reilly paid for railroad tracks to be installed behind the building so he could receive his sugar and other supplies by rail

September 1968 The building was sold to the St Joseph Woods company who only had to change one letter on the building, making it St. Joseph Woods instead of St Joseph Foods

Much of the equipment was sold to a company starting a preserve and jelly factory on the island of Trinidad

Mr & Mrs O'Reilly moved to Trinidad for one year to help start that company (as an employee) and to develop new formulas using island fruits

Nov. 1969 The O'Reillys moved to Phoenix, Arizona

Mr O'Reilly became a Real Estate Professional, he passed away on January 7, 1993

Mrs O'Reilly passed away on March 3, 1997

Photo #1 - circa 1945
Photo #2 - circa 1945
Photo #3 - circa 1945
Photo #4 - circa 1945
Photo #5 - circa 1945
Photo #6 - circa 1945
Photo #7 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press article
Photo #8 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press photo
Photo #9 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press article
Photo #10 - Some products manufactured by St Joseph Foods
Photo #11 - Some products manufactured by St Joseph Foods
Photo #12 - Some products manufactured by St Joseph Foods
Photo #13 - Some products manufactured by St Joseph Foods
Photo #14 - Some products manufactured by St Joseph Foods
Photo #15 - Holiday adverstisement
Photo #16 - Holiday adverstisement
Photo #17 - St Joseph Foods Christmas Card
Photo #18 - St Joseph Foods stationary
Photo #19 - 1952 plant expansion
Photo #20 - The new plant on 759 highway
Photos & information was submitted by Mary O'Reilly (owner's daughter)




1 2

Circa 1930
ST JOSEPH TRUCK & TRACTOR COMPANY
813 South 7th Street
Circa 1931
BOTTORFF-ROSELIUS IMPLEMENT COMPANY
813 South 7th Street






Circa 1914
PENNEY & PENNEY FEED COMPANY
819 South 7th Street






Circa 1955
FEENEY CONSTRUCTION
7th & Olive Streets




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu