7thstreet
7th Street & Connecting Streets



Search Engine for St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search


Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 7th STREET
NORTH 7th STREET BEGINS HERE






LOOKING NORTH ON 7th FROM FELIX

Hutton Optical, Drydens and First Federal marquees are visible




1 2 3

NASH-RHODES
7th & Felix

Seller of fine men and women's apparel






LOOKING WEST ON & FELIX STREET
1940's CIRCA

1940's Postcard - looking west on Felix Street






Circa 1899
LOOKING WEST ON & FELIX STREET

Circa 1899 - Artist drawing looking west on Felix Street




7th & Felix1 7th & Felix2 7th & Felix3 7th & Felix4 7th & Felix5

FELIX STREET SQUARE
COLEMAN HAWKINS PARK
7th & Felix/Francis

Urban Renewal removed ¾ of a city block of buildings from 7th & Felix to 8th & Felix, 7th & Francis to 8th & Francis, only 3 buildings remain

The City of St Joseph created a new city park in the area called Felix Street Square

The park is used for civic activities and the Coleman Hawkins Jazz Festival

A gazebo was erected and a Coleman Hawkins statue stands near the gazebo

Photo #1 - Looking north from 7th & Felix, a city park is now where the Federal Bakery once stood
Photo #2 - Looking south from 7th & Francis, a city park is now between Felix & Francis
Photo #3 - 2005 view of the old Joe Optican store on the southeast corner of 7th & Felix
Photo #4 - Gazebo used for events and the Coleman Hawkins Jazz Festival
Photo #5 - 3 Hotel Robidoux Pillars at the park




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1860
GARLICH PHARMACY & CONVENTION HOTEL
Circa 1879
ST JOSEPH BUSINESS UNIVERSITY
Circa 1901
YMCA
701 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

From 1860-1901 this was Garlich's Pharmacy & the Convention hotel
Headquarters for INSTRUMENTS. SPLINTS, CRUTCHES and VARIOUS SURGEONS SUPPLIES
You can see the name GARLICH in the front stonework
It was in business for forty Years
In 1879, the St Joseph Business University was also in this building
The 1st YMCA in Missouri was also located in this building
In 1912, the YMCA moved to 10th & Faraon

The Garlich building at 7th & Felix became the Schneider Building

The Federal Bake Shop later occupied the Schneider Building

The Schneider building was razed on May 28, 1975 during Urban Renewal by Bob Madget Construction


Photo #1 - The YMCA's new location at 10th & Faraon
Photo #2 - Top right is the original YMCA, later becomes the Schneider building
Photo #3 - 1975 Urban Renewal Demolition of the Garlich/Schneider building
Photo #4 - Postcard showing the YMCA building
Photo #5 - Note the name GARLICH over doorway, original owner maybe?
Photo #8 - 1899 ST JOSEPH BUSINESS UNIVERSITY advertisement





1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1912
YMCA
10th & Faraon
6th & Sylvania

The 1st YMCA in Missouri was located at 7th & Felix

In 1912, the YMCA moved to 10th & Faraon

The YMCA moved once more to a new location at 6th & Slyvanie

In 2014/2015 a new YMCA was constructed in the eastern part of town

Photo #1 - YMCA 10th & Faraon
Photo #3 - The YMCA's facility at 6th & Sylvanie
Photo #4 - YMCA 10th & Faraon
Photo #5 - YMCA 10th & Faraon
Photo #6 - 1912 newspaper advertisement for 10th & Faraon location




Downtown1 Downtown2 Downtown3

FEDERAL BAKE SHOP
701 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This was the Schneider Buiilding, it was constructed in 1887
The was razed on May 28, 1975 during Urban Renewal

Photos submitted by Dave Sietzen




NIFTY STORES
701½ Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal




BROOK'S CLOTHING INC
702-704 Felix




1 2 3 4 5

JOE OPTICAN JEWELRY
702 Felix

Joe Optican's was an old and popular jewelry store in downtown
The store is still located on the southwest corner of 7th & Felix

Photo #1 - 2005 view of the Joe Optican Jewelry store
Photo #2 - Joe Optican advertisement clock
Photo #3 - Old Joe Optican token, address 609 Felix, Woolworth was at 609 Felix
Photo #4 - St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement for Class rings




1 2

ROBINSON SHOE COMPANY
EVERETT SHOES
703 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal






THOM McAN SHOES
KNAPPS
705 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Previously occupied by Thom McAn Shoes who moved to East Hills
Knapps occupied the Thom McAn shoe building after Thom McAn moved




MILLER-WOHL COMPANY
706-708 Felix

Seller of women's clothing






STEVE'S SHOES
707 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Businesses visible in the photo from left to right:
Federal Bake Shop, Everett Shoes, Knapps, Steve's Shoes and Mode O' Day






BETTY MAIDE SHOP
MODE O' DAY
709 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal


Seller of women's clothing




FRANK KLECAN DENTIST
709½ Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal




Circa 1932
THE PRINCESS WOMEN'S FURNISHINGS
CITY SEWING MACHINE & APPLIANCE
710 Felix




Circa 1932
THOM McAN SHOES
JOE ROSEN CUSTOM CLOTHING
JOE ROSEN MEN'S WEAR
711 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2 3

Circa 1932
BETTY'S HAT SHOP
ED COWMAN'S CUSTOM SHOP
712 Felix

Photo #1 - 1977 St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement




Circa 1932
CLIFF GEIS MEN'S FURNISHINGS
713 Felix






Circa 1932
MANGEL'S LADIES WEAR
TUTTLE SCOTT SHOE COMPANY
Circa 1965
DOUGLAS OPTICAL
714 Felix






Circa 1890
STANDARD FURNITURE & CARPET
715 Felix




1 2 3

Circa 1922
JENKINS MUSIC COMPANY
Circa 1955
J. C. PENNY DEPARTMENT STORE
713-715 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

J. C. Penny moved to East Hills Shopping Center due to Urban Renewal




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1932
HARVEY BROTHERS CLOTHING
NATIONAL BELLAS HESS
THE VOGUE SHOPPE
716 Felix

National Bellas Hess clothing store was later replaced with the Vogue Shoppe

Photo #1 - May 1946 Bellas Hess advertisement
Photo #2 - 1926 Bellas Hess advertisement
Photo #3 - May 1957 newspaper advertisement
Photo #4 - Bellas Hess catalogue department
Photo #5 - May 1949 newspaper advertisement
Photo #6 - The Vogue is visible on the left side




Circa 1932
MISSOURI BUSINESS COLLEGE
JOHN BYERS DENTIST
716½ Felix






La MODE
717 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Seller of women's clothing
Photo - La Mode box top




1 2 3

Circa 1888
B. F. HERR DRY GOODS
715-717 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Mr Herr was a native of Pennsylvania, he came to St Joseph in 1888
B.F. Herr Dry Goods was established in the fall of 1888, it was one of the largest department stores of it's time


Photo #1 - 1894 BF Herr Dry Goods advertisement
Photo #2 - aerial photo of BF Herr store
Photo #3 - Looking west at 7th & Felix




ROYAL COLLEGE SHOE SHOP
718 Felix




AMERICAN ENGRAVING & COLORPLATE
718½ Felix




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1956
DEBORAH'S GIFT SHOP
720 Felix
ST JOSEPH TRUNK COMPANY
718-720 Felix

Note the addresses in both advertisements
One is 718 Felix, the other is 719 Felix
Most likely 719 was a newspaper typing error

Photo #1 - Current view
Photo #2 - Advertisement
Photo #3 - Advertisement with address of 719 Felix (a newspaper typo?)
Photo #4 - St Joseph Trunk Company
Photo #5 - Deborah's Gift Shop






SINGER SEWING MACHINE COMPANY
719 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal




HOLLYWOOD HAT SHOP
720 Felix




BRAY PHOTOGRAPHY STUDIO
720½ Felix




HARTIGAN & HARTIGAN OPTOMETRISTS
721 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal




RUSSELL STOVER CANDIES
722 Felix




LUTHER FERGUSON PHYSICIAN
723½ Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal






THE VOGUE
724 Felix

Seller of ladies wear
Evidently the Vogue had moved or had 2 locations as it was also listed at 716 Felix in the 1953 City Directory




JOE OPTICAN JEWELRY
725 Felix
Circa: 1953
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Was located at 725 Felix according to 1953 City Directory




MAXWELL JEWELERS
726 Felix






CREVISTON & SON JEWELER
Room 407-409 in the Schneider Building
109 North 7th Street

Creviston Jewelers - Room 407-409 in the Schneider Building






Circa 1914
MANNSCHRECK'S BOOK STORE
111 North 7th Street

Mannschreck Book Store was still located here according to 1953 City Directory




DODD MILTON SHOE SHINER
111½ North 7th Street






Circa 1930
MANNSCHRECK'S BOOK STORE
Circa 1953
OLD STOREKEEPER COMPANY
113 North 7th Street

Photo - 1930 St Joseph News-Press Mannschreck's advertisement
Listed in 1953 city directory as Old Storekeeper Company
Mail order merchandise




SCHMALTZ FLORIST
114 North 7th Street






OAKFORD TEA ROOM
115-117 North 7th Street






HUTTON OPTICAL COMPANY
116 North 7th Street

The Hutton marqee is visible on the left side of photo




LOYAL ORDER OF MOOSE 315
117 ½ North 7th Street






DRYDEN'S READY TO WEAR
118 North 7th Street

The Dryden's marqee visible on the left side of the photo




A G TRUNK & SON JEWELERS
119 North 7th Street




DR WALTER MACEY CHIROPODIST
FOOT HEALTH SHOE STORE
120 North 7th Street




1 2

Circa 1973
WESTERN AUTO
224 North 7th Street



FRANCIS STREET INTERSECTS



1 2

BELLY OF THE WHALE
A UNIQUE 1960's COFFEE HOUSE
7th & Francis
10th & ROBIDOUX

The Belly of the Whale was first located in the basement of the Christ Episcopal Church at 7th and Francis Street

Larry Young was a singer in a folk trio called The Chantymen

The trio sang on The Belly of the Whale's opening night

November 22,1963, the day President Kennedy was assassinated

The group sang at the Belly Of The Whale five or six times

All three were students at St. Joseph Junior College at the time

College Art Professor, Fred Aas, was one the people that got the coffeehouse started

There were three or four other groups that sang that night as well as some poets that read some of their recent works. And one fellow performed on his bongo drums

After opening night, The Belly of the Whale was relocated to another basement room on the south side of the same Episcopal church. There was a sign and an access door off Francis Street

The song "Blow the Candle Out" is the song that they opened with at The Belly of the Whale

The Belly of the Whale was later relocated to Friendship Hall at 10th & ROBIDOUX

The Belly Of The Whale was a 3 year old idea of several St Joseph Churches and was undenominational in form

It was open on Friday nights to all college students for a donation of 50 cents

Like other coffee houses, the Belly of the Whale had an atmosphere all of it's own that was set by candlelight, burlap covered tables, grotesque abstractions painted on canvas wall hangings and pieces of modern art and sculptures

Within a couple minutes of opening at 8:30 pm,the college students began forming in small groups to sing folk songs, play cards or chess, or develope a controversial conversation with others

This unique coffee shop gave young adults the opportunity to express themselves

Photo #1 - November 1966 St Joseph Gazette newpaper photo
Photo #2 - Photo of Larry Young
Some of the above information was provided by Larry Young




1 2 3

PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS BUILDING
7th & Francis

Located on the southeast corner of 7th & Felix

Built and owned by W. F. Kirkpatrick

Until urban renewal in the 1970's, the Physicians & Surgeons building stood at the southeast corner of 7th & Francis

The 3 story building housed a number of doctors, dentists and insurance agents

There was also retail stores including Spengler Pharmacy

In photo #2, a St Joseph Public Library sign is visible in the background

One of the few buildings that did not fall to Urban Renewal razing
A City Park now consumes 3/4 of the city block

Photo #1 - Early century drawing
Photo #2 - 1927 Physicians & Surgeons building photo
Photo #3 - Early photo




SPENGLER PHARMACY
702 Francis




ACOUSTICON MARLIN COMPANY
704 Francis

This was a hearing aid company




Circa 1955
ST JOSEPH SURGICAL SUPPLY INC
706 Francis




HOWARD SISSON REALTY
708 Francis




STEVE'S BEAUTY SALON
710 Francis




PARISIAN BEAUTY SHOP
711 Francis




CHRISTIAN SCIENCE READING ROOM
712 Francis




GEORGE WEYER COMPANY INC
714 Francis




KRANITZ & KRANITZ LAWYERS
714½ Francis




ANTHONY LUX TAILORING
715 Francis






NIC KUEHN FURRIER
716 Francis

Photo is a 1960 yellow page advertisement




HARLON FIELDS JEWELER
717 Francis




ALBERT BRANDT CLOTHING
719 Francis




LOWENBERG APARTMENTS
720 Francis




DELUXE BEAUTY SHOPPE
721 Francis




SCHMID BUILDING
722 Francis

Doctor offices




WILFRED SOLDNER
722½ Francis




1 2

KRUG BUILDING
COMMERCIAL CREDIT CORPORATION
EDER REALITY
724 Francis




NATIONAL FARM LOAN
ASSOCIATION OF ST JOSEPH
725 Francis




ST JOSEPH PRODUCTION
CREDIT ASSOCIATION
727 Francis






LOOKING SOUTH ON 7th FROM FRANCIS




CHRIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
201-205 North 7th Street




CHRIST EPISCOPAL PARRISH HOUSE
207-209 North 7th Street




E A McNABB & ASSOCIATES INSURANCE
210 North 7th Street




QUINN REALTY COMPANY
WILLIAM DOWNS INSURANCE
212 North 7th Street




Circa 1955
MAYES ABSTRACT COMPANY
ROBERT SMITH REALTY
213 North 7th Street




DUTCH FRIEND BARBER SHOP
214 North 7th Street




SPRATT REAL ESTATE COMPANY
215 North 7th Street




FRANCIS REALTY & INSURANCE
216 North 7th Street




ARCADE BUILDING
216 ½ North 7th Street

Contained 10 offices, 8 businesses in 1953





CLIFTON SMITH PHYSICIAN
218-220 North 7th Street




DEMOND BUILDING
223 North 7th Street

Contained 3 offices, 2 lawyers and a short hand reporter in 1953




DEMOND APARTMENTS
223 North 7th Street

Besides the offices, it contained 9 apartments




SEARS FARM STORE
224 North 7th Street



JULES STREET INTERSECTS





DON RILEY MOTOR INN
7th & Jules Street






SCHROERS PRESCRIPTION LABORATORY
702 Jules Street

1971 St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement for Schroers Laboratory






WINFREY'S TEXACO SERVICE STATION
NORTHWEST FINANCIAL SERVICES
720 Jules Street

At one time this was a Texaco Service station
Northwest Financial Services is a bill collection agency for Heartland Hospital




1 2 3 4 5 6

ST JOSEPH HOSPITAL MEDICAL COLLEGE
(1876-1882)
COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS
(Est. 1878)
ST JOSEPH MEDICAL COLLEGE
(Est. 1882)
ENSWORTH MEDICAL COLLEGE & HOSPITAL
(Est. 1888)
CENTRAL MEDICAL COLLEGE OF ST JOSEPH
(Est. 1894)
ENSWORTH-CENTRAL MEDICAL COLLEGE
OF ST JOSEPH
(1905-1907)
ENSWORTH MEDICAL COLLEGE
(1907-1914)
7th & JULES
CIRCA: 1892-1931

There is quite a history behind formation of Ensworth Medical College

In 1882 St Joseph Hospital Medical College merged with College of Physicians and Surgeons of St. Joseph to form St. Joseph Medical College

In 1888 it became Ensworth Medical College & Hospital

In 1905 it merged with Central Medical College to form Ensworth-Central Medical College of St. Joseph

In 1907 it became Ensworth Medical College

The building was located on the northwest Corner 7th and Jule

This building was razed in 1931 and is currently a city parking lot




1 2

FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
301 North 7th Street

Photo #1 - Old first Presbyterian church- NE corner 7th and Jules
Photo #2 - Present First Presbyterian as it appeared in 1911
Photos sumbitted by Andrew Poage




BLONDEAU PLUMBING & HEATING
316 North 7th Street




FRED PORTER
317 North 7th Street



FARAON STREET INTERSECTS



1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1887
THE BENTON CLUB
402 North 7th

Located on the northwest corner of 7th & Faraon

The Benton Club was founded May 27, 1887 by Winslow Judson and a group of some forty like-minded gentlemen of the community for the purpose, as characterized by the late chronicler of St. Joseph history Sheridan Logan, of establishing a social club comprised of business and professional leaders for mutual ease of access and friendly association

Later, in 1894 when the club was incorporated

The Benton Club is named for Thomas Hart Benton, United States Senator from Missouri from 1821 – 1851; the first to serve that body for five terms

Photo #5 - Circa 1915



FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 7th STREET
SOUTH 7th STREET BEGINS HERE





BF GOODRICH STORE
325-327 South 7th Street

This building was located on the northeast corner of 7th & Slyvanie
The structure no longer exists
The owner was Ed Michel
It was in operation from after WWII until about 1964




New lamp post

NEW LAMP POSTS DOWNTOWN
South 7th Street

After Urban Renewal, the city replaced the downtown street lights with these good looking historic type lamp posts
Too bad most of the historic buildings are gone
This photo was taken on 7th Street between Edmond & Felix




AMERICAN NATIONAL BANK
101 South 7th Street




SIBYL HATS
108 South 7th Street




Circa 1924
J.C. PENNY DEPARTMENT STORE
109-111 South 7th Street




1 2

Circa 1947
KRES RADIO
113 South 7th Street

1230 AM on your radio dial
The station began broadcasting on 1550 AM in St. Joseph, Missouri, in 1947, playing hits from the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s
The station changed its call sign to KKJO in 1962 and began playing hits from the 1950s and 1960s

KRES call sign stood for the initials of the first 4 owners. St Joseph Attorney Basil Kaufman, Broadcaster Paul Roscoe, Banker Don Epstein, and pharmacist Al Shanin

Photo 1 - 1949 KRES radio advertisement
Photo 2 - KRES Disc Jocky





1 Downtown2 3 4

MONROE CLUB
FIEDLERS CAFE
JACK & JILL CHILDREN'S SHOP
114 South 7th Street

In 1932, this was Fiedlers Cafe
In later years, it was Jack & Jill's Childrens Shop
Over the years, someone changed the facade (see photo #3)
In 2014, the facade was changed again (see photo #4)




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Circa 1896
MISSOURI-KANSAS TELEPHONE CO
AMERICAN LEGION
DICK'S FLOWERS
116 South 7th Street

The Missouri-Kansas Telephone Company was located at 116 South 7th Street

The building was built before the turn of the century and it is still standing

Numerous businesses have occupied the building

It was at one time the home of Dick's Flowers

The American Legion building once occupied the 2nd floor of this building

The American Legion building next door, 116 ½ South 7th burned down in 1991

That building is now an empty lot

In 2014, Austin Benson and his wife purchased this building and are in the process of restoring it

Check out the antique metal staircase railing in photo #10 & #13

Photo #1 - Missouri-Kansas Telephone Company
Photo #2 - As it looked in the mid 2000's
Photo #3 - As it looked when Dick's Flowers occupied the building
Photo #4 - As it looked when it was Missouri-Kansas Telephone Company
Photo #5 - 1897 photo of the telephone operators
Photo #6 - 2014 photo, Missouri and Kansas telephone clay tile wire conduits hidden behind wall
Photo #7 - 2014 photo, Dicks flower sticker on window frame
Photo #8 - 2nd floor flooring displaying American Legion symbol
Photo #9 - Dick's Flowers floral cooler
Photo #10 - Staircase leading to 2nd floor
Photo #11 - Artifacts found - Marvels cigarettes haven't been around for many years
Photo #12 - 1910 Missouri-Kansas St Joseph News-Press advertisement
Photo #13 - Metal staircase sandblasted and ready to paint




1 2 3

PONY EXPRESS POST 359
116 ½ South 7th Street

This American Legion Post was once located on the 2nd floor above Dick's Flowers

Photo #1 - Front view of the building
Photo #2 - 2nd floor flooring displaying American Legion symbol
Photo #3 - 1954 photo showing the marques of both American Legion Posts




1 2 Maid-rite3

AMERICAN LEGION POST #11
120½ South 7th

Next door to each other were 2 of Missouri's largest American Legion Posts
Macdonald-Dugger-Duncan Post #11 (left) & Pony Express Post #359 (right)
The American Legion Post #11 burned down in 1991. It resided above Maid-Rite
This building no longer exists,a parking lot now consumes this space

Photo #1 - 1954 photo showing the marques of both American Legion Posts
Photo #2 - Post #11 St Joseph News-Press advertisement
Photo #3 - The current parking lot at this location



EDMOND STREET INTERSECTS



Downtown

Edmond Street - Looking west from 8th

Looking west from nearby 8th Street
Missouri Theater, House of Wheels and Toys and
Strathman Photo Studios are visible in the photo






Circa 1885-1903
THE ST JOSEPH DAILY NEWS
BALLINGER BUILDING
Southwest Corner of 7th & Edmond

View is looking east on Edmond Street towards 7th Street
Note the buggies and the street car
This building will later become home of Hermans Drug Store



Downtown1 Downtown2 Downtown3 Downtown4 Downtown5 Downtown6

Edmond Street - Between 7th & 8th

Photo #1 - 1930's looking East from 7th & Edmond
Photo #2 - 2013 looking East from almost at corner of 7th & Edmond
Photo #3 - Dave Sietzen's father took this Photo from one of the upper floors of the main post office. The Greyhound Bus Depot can be seen in the foreground. A car is parked in front of House of Wheels and Toys
Photo #4 - A close up of the Missouri Theater
Photo #5 - A 1958 photo of the south side of Edmond Street between 7th & 8th St. The Electric theater was playing Lafayette Escadrille, you can see Jim Wakely's hot dogs, Electric Shoe Repair, Spector's Sporting Goods & the Victory Restaurant. The Greyhound bus terminal can be seen at the end of the block
Photo #6 - South Park bus heading east on Edmond, Missouri Theater and Sanitary Lunch in the background




1 2 3 4

Circa 1845
GAZETTE
Circa 1852
HERALD
Circa 1900
GAZETTE-HERALD NEWSPAPER
Corner of 7th & Edmond

The Gazette began publishing in 1845
The Herald began publishing in 1852
The Gazette-Herald began publishing in August 1900
The Gazette-Herald's last publication was on Mar. 29, 1902
The offices for both were located at 7th & Edmond
Exact address is unknown
Photo #1 - Circa 1901





Circa 1875
UNION COMPANY FURNITURE FACTORY
Corner of 7th & Edmond

The Union Company Furniture showroom was located on Felix between Felix & Edmond
Exact addresses are unknown



Circa 1889
COMMERCE LOAN & INVESTMENT CO
701 Edmond




1 2 3

WAKELY'S ORANGE BAR
704 Edmond

Mr Wakely had 3 Wakely's Orange Bar locations in downtown in 1950
The stores were located at 507 Edmond, 502 Francis and 704 Edmond
When I was home delivering milk to Mr Wakely in the 1970's, he told me his little stores made him a millionaire

Photo #1 - Very old advertisement - possible when he only had one store
Photo #2 - 1947 advertisement
Photo #3 - 1950 telephone book listings






MIDWAY BUFFET
705 Edmond




ELECTRIC SHOE REPAIR SHOP
706 Edmond




Circa 1892
PITTSBURGH PLATE GLASS CO
707 Edmond




1 2 3 4

Circa 1843
DAVID J HEATON FUNERAL HOME
D J HEATON & COMPANY
D E HEATON & COMPANY
HEATON-BeGOLE UNDERTAKING COMPANY
HEATON-BEGOLE UNDERTAKERS
HEATON-BOWMAN FUNERAL HOME
First Street
6th & Francis Street
109-111 South 7th Street
711-713 Felix
207 North 6th Street
707 Edmond
319 South 10th

David J. Heaton began the oldest funeral home in the State of Missouri and the oldest business firm in the City of St. Joseph
David J. Heaton Funeral Home was founded in 1842 in Sparta, Missouri
St. Joseph was originally a trading post settlement known as Black Snake Landing, a starting point for westbound wagon trains.
Mr. Heaton, was primarily a cabinet maker who also built caskets and served as arranger and director of funerals.
With the arrival of Joseph Robidoux, a French-Canadian Settler to the Landing, the community began to expand.
By 1843, the growing settlement was incorporated and named for St. Joseph, a saint.
Mr. Heaton moved into the immediate area of the city and established a cabinet shop/funeral home on First Street.
In 1844, the business moved to the corner of Sixth and Francis Streets and remained there until 1859
From 1852-54, Mr. Heaton served as city Coroner and was the city Fire Marshall.
In 1875, the firm moved to 109-111 South 7th Street, when David E. Heaton( son of the founder) joined his father
He did two-thirds of the undertaking in the city and conducted between 600-800 funerals annually.
He was up-to-date in everything that pertained to embalming and caring for the dead.
He manufactured his own goods, turning upwards of 1000 caskets per year out of his plant.
The manufacturing was entirely under the supervision of George J. BeGole
In 1876, the firm became known as D.J. Heaton & Company and moved to 207 North 6th Street.
In 1881, David E. Heaton purchased the firm from his father
The funeral home moved to 707 Edmond under the name D.E. Heaton and Company.
In 1896, David J. Heaton was declared the first licensed undertaker in the United States
Upon his death in 1898, he was buried in Mt. Mora Cemetery.
In 1913 David E. Heaton merged with George J. BeGole forming Heaton-BeGole Undertaking Company.
For the first time, ambulance service complemented the range of services provided by Heaton-BeGole
In 1921, David E. Heaton died. George J. BeGole became president/manager and the firm moved to 319 South 10th
. This new location had been originally built as a residence, served as a boarding home and the city public library.
In 1927, Heaton-BeGole & Bowman Inc. was formed. George J. BeGole died in 1942.
In 1942, Frank A. Bowman, then acting manager, headed the new company, Heaton-Bowman Funeral Home.




1 2

Circa 1918
S. S. ALLEN GROCERY
Circa 1932
GROCERY
701 Edmond Street
KAUL CAFETERIA
701½ Edmond Street

By 1932, Kaul Grocery occupied this address




Basket Store

THE BASKET STORE
707 Edmond

Photo of the inside of the Basket Store that was located at 707 Edmond




House of Wheels and Toys1 House of Wheels and Toys2 3 4

BECHTOLD & ROUSE BICYCLE SHOP
HOUSE OF WHEELS & TOYS
BIG BOY'S TOYS
BAD ART BISTRO RESTAURANT
707 Edmond

This building once housed Pittsburg Platte Glass and a Basket Store

Then it became Bechtold & Rouse Bicycle Shop

The Bicycle shop was sold to Red Rouse and became the House of Wheels and Toys

Red Rouse ran it for many years selling hobbies, crafts and toys

Around 1990, Red sold it to Curt Gardener who renamed it Big Boy's Toys

Big Boy's Toys closed it's doors in January 1997

A dress shop replaced the Hobby Shop

The dress shop suffered a terrible fire in 1998 and was remodeled

Bad Art Bistro Restaurant currently occupies the building

The restaurant offers great gourmet food in a quirky, artistiy atmosphere

Bad Art Bistro is located near the historic Missouri Theater

There used to be a tavern to the west, it was torn down after the 1998 fire

The tavern was called the Midway, then the Office, and then finally Avis Tavern




1 2

VICTORY RESTAURANT
LaFONDA RESTAURANT
708 Edmond Street

This was a very popular restaurant located just west of the Electric Theater
A large parking lot now exists at this location






MAJESTIC PHOTOGRAPHY STUDIO
712 Edmond Street

The Majestic Photography Studion was located within the Majestic Theater
The photo was taken by the Majestic Studio
A large parking lot now exists at this location




1 2

Circa 1910
MAJESTIC THEATER
SILENT MOVIES & VAUDEVILLE
Circa 1915
ELECTRIC THEATER
SILENT MOVIES & VAUDEVILLE
Circa 1926
NEW ELECTRIC THEATER
SILENT MOVIES & VAUDEVILLE
712 Edmond

The Majestic Theater opened in 1910 playing silent movies and vaudeville acts

In September, 1915, the Majestic was renamed the Electric Theater
Electric Silent Movie Theater Grand Opening:Thurs September 23,1915
The Grand Opening show was Wilton Lackaye and Clara Kimball Young in TRILBY
Admission was 10 cents
Photo #1
1925 photo of the Majestic Theater, then renamed as the Electric Theater
In 1925, there was an alley on the east side of the theater
Note the telephone pole and all of the wires
In 1926, the Majestic Theater building was torn down
A new Electric Movie Theater was constructed in it's place
Photo #2
St Joseph News-Press photo of the new Electric Theater & article
The article states at one time a skating rink was inside
However I believe it was inside of the original Majestic Theater

MAJESTIC THEATER INFORMATION

Majestic Theater Grand Opening: Thurs Oct 13,1910
General Admission was 10 cents and Box Seats reserved was 20 cents
High Class Motion Pictures
Sullivan and Considine Vaudeville
Doors Open 7:30
Last Date Open: Friday April 23, 1915
Last Movie: The Arrival of Major Janet & Buster Brown at Hicksville




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Circa 1926
ELECTRIC THEATER
712 Edmond

In 1910, the Majestic Theater opened playing silent movies and vaudville acts

In 1915, Renamed to the Electric Theater showing silent movies

In 1926, the theater was totally remodeled and considered the new Electric Theater

The theater continued playing silent movies and vaudville acts

The Electric & Missouri Theaters were owned by Durwood

In the 1950's, when exiting the theater, you would smell Wakely's orange drink & hot dogs

Wakely's was a small snack bar just west of the Electric Theater

Wakely's was torn down and replaced by the Victory Restaurant

Later, the LaFonda restaurant replaced the Victory Restaurant

Does anyone remember the shoe shop to the east of the Electric?

Anyone remember the shoe shine stand on the sidewalk?

I remember buying my first Buttercup Popcorn at the Electric Theater. A box of plain popcorn was 15 cents and the Buttercup was 25 cents. That was a lot of money for a kid back then who only had 50 cents to spend for snacks

I remember coming to the Electric on certain Saturdays for a cartoon/serial matinee

On a regular basis, they always had a cartoon, a newsreel, a 3 stooges movie short, (or a serial like Rocket Man,Flash Gordan, etc) plus 2 full length B Class movies

The Electric theater closed down after the last shows on Saturday, October 28, 1961

The Electric theater was razed in 1977

Majestic Theater Grand Opening: Thurs Oct 13,1910
Renamed as the Electric Theater
Grand Opening: Thurs September 23,1915 showing silent movies
The Grand Opening show was Wilton Lackaye and Clara Kimball Young in TRILBY
Admission was 10 cents
Last date open: Saturday, October 28, 1961
The building was destroyed in 1977
Last shows played:
Susan Travers in The Snake Woman
Kieron Moore in Doctor Blood's Coffin
Theater data submitted by Terry Plumb

Photo #1 - 1925 photo of the Electric (Majestic) Theater, the alley remains
Photo #2 - 1926 new Electric Theater
Photo #3 - 1926 new Electric Theater
Photo #4 - Looking east on edmond from 7th Street
Photo #5 - 1911 Map of Edmond & Charles between 7th & 8th
Photo #6 - Where the Electric once stood
Photo #7 - Most of the block is now one big parking lot
Photo #8 - The Buttercup Popcorn girls introducing the new product
Photo #9 - A Wakley advertisement
Photo #10 - St Joseph & Power installed this 550 bulb sign in 1926
Photo #11 - 1926 photo - a much larger and better photo of the new Electric
Photo #12 - December 1962 LaFonda newspaper advertisement
Photo #13 - March 1959 Victory Restaurant newspaper advertisement
Photo #14 - Destruction of the Electric Theater in 1977
Photo #15 - 1966 LaFonda newspaper article
Photo #16 - Recent photo of where the Electric Theater & LaFonda once stood
Photo #17 - Buttercup Popcorn




Circa 1898
KAYBEE WOMEN'S STORE
709-711 Edmond






Circa 1949
Ake's Golden Nugget Confectionary Shop
711 Edmond




AM CLEANERS
713 Edmond






W. A. FRANK CIGAR
MANUFACTURING COMPANY
713 Edmond
Circa: 1906

In 1906, there were 115 union cigar makers. Mr Frank had one of the largest cigar making companies in St Joseph
Back then, all of the cigars were rolled by hand




JUDA CIGAR STORE
714 Edmond




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25


Circa 1926
MISSOURI THEATER
713-725 Edmond

The Missouri Theater used to be owned by Durwood Theaters

Durwood also owned the Electric Theater, Skylark and Belt Drive-in theaters

It is located on Edmond Street, between 7th & 8th

It was and is still St Joseph's most elegant theater

In 1927, 2 Seaman & Schuske workmen spent 2 months building the box office

The box office was constructed of ornamental steel and grille work, the upper and lower parts were covered with mosaic tiles of many colors

This box office has since been replaced with a more modern one

The colored photos show the remodeled Missouri Theater

There's quite a bit of facial difference between what it looked like in the 1930's and today

The Missouri usually only played a cartoon and one A Class movie

Some of the above photos show the remodeled Missouri Theater

In 2011, the theater suffered some smoke damage from a fire in an adjacent building

The Missouri Theater is now primarily an Arts Theater; dancing, singing, & misc acts

Last date movies were shown: Tuesday September 8, 1970

The last movie shown was: Elliott Gould and Candice Bergen "In Getting Straight"

Photo #1 - Box office built in 1927 by S&S
Photo #2 - Modern box office replaced the 1927 one
Photo #3 - 1927 Photo of the Missouri Theater
Photo #4 - As it looked in the 1920-1930's
Photo #5 - As it looked in the 1920-1930's
Photo #6 - As it looked in the 1920-1930's
Photo #7 - Lobby and stairs leading to the Mezzanine
Photo #8 - The Messanine
Photo #9 - The ceiling
Photo #10 - Modern day photo of front entrance
Photo #11 - Modern color photo
Photo #12 - Modern photo & restored Model A's
Photo #13 - Interior view
Photo #14 - Interior side wall
Photo #15 - The magnificent ceiling
Photo #16 - View from balcony
Photo #17 - The ceiling and balcony
Photo #18 - interior side wall and seating
Photo #19 - Side wall in lobby
Photo #20 - As it looked in the 1950's
Photo #21 - Side wall scultpture (1961 photo)
Photo #22 - color photo of the Mezzanine
Photo #23 - Recent front view of the theater
Photo #24 - Theater stage curtains
Photo #25 - B&W of the theater




SPECTOR SPORTING GOODS
716 Edmond




SEWELL PAINT & VARNISH
718 Edmond




KORDEL STUDIOS
719 Edmond




Circa 1955
LEIBOWITZ CLOTHING COMPANY
720 Edmond




1 2 3 4 5

SANITARY LUNCH
721 Edmond

Once located east of the Missouri Theater
During WWII, the building was temporarily used for the Greek War Relief Association

Photo #1 - Inside view of Sanitary Lunch at 721 Edmond
Photo #2 - Sanitary Lunch counter view
Photo #3 - View from 8th & Edmond
Photo #4 - WWII St Joseph newspaper photo Greek War Relief Association using the building
Photo #5 - Photo Circa 1956




1 2

LOGAN BUILDING
722 Edmond

On Oct 30, 1960 fire destroyed the Logan building and numerous others were damaged
Read the newspaper article (photo #2) for complete information on all of the businesses that were effected






LOOKING NORTH ON 7th TOWARDS EDMOND




Circa 1920
CENTRAL COAL & COKE COMPANY
Circa 1953
ELECTROLUX AGENCY
203 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot





HARRY LIMLE BARBER SHOP
205 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot





NATIONAL CLEANERS
207 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot





ABRAHAM COHEN TAILOR
213 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot




1 2 3

A & P FOOD MARKET
GREEN HILLS SUPER MARKET
CBIZ INSURANCE AGENCY
214-222 South 7th Street

In 1953, this was an A & P grocery store
In 1961, this was a Green Hills grocery store
As of 2013, it is the home of the CBIZ Insurance company




ATLAS PRINTING COMPANY
215-217 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot





McCORD-BELL CAR & TRUCK RENTAL
HERTZ DRIVE-UR-SELF SYSTEM
227 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot



CHARLES STREET INTERSECTS



1 2 3 4

CIRCA 1889
ST JOSEPH BREWERY
7th & Charles

Was located on the south side of Charles between 7th & 8th
Andriano was president of St Joseph Brewery who also owned Andriano Bottling on North 2nd Street
Photo #3 is his soda pop bottle




1 2

TURNER HALL
7th & Charles

Located on the South side of Charles Between 6th and 7th
Turner Hall was built at a cost of $50,000
The Turnvereins established a group here in 1855

The cornerstone for Turner Hall was laid March 29, 1860, and the Turnvereins, or Turners, began using it in August 1860
Today, the site is home to the YMCA

The first Turner Hall was known as the Cradle of Liberty




Central Fire Station1 Central Fire Station2 Central Fire Station3 Central Fire Station4

CENTRAL FIRE STATION
CIRCA: 1890
NE Corner 7th & Charles

The first Central Fire Station was located on the NE corner of 7th & Charles
This structure no longer exists

Photo #1 - Circa 1890
Photo #2 - Circa 1890
Photo #3 - Circa 1890
Photo #4 - Circa 1890




SLYVANIE STREET INTERSECTS



1 2

Circa 1905-1923
ST JOSEPH VETERINARY
COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL
7th & Slyvanie Street
9th & Mary Street

St. Joseph Veterinary College was established in 1905.
For two years, classes were held in a building in South St. Joseph.
In 1907, Drs. Steele, Good, and Lomax moved the school to a building at 7th and Sylvanie Streets.
The College offered a 3-year course, similar to other veterinary schools at that time, with a degree of Doctor of Veterinary Science.
The St. Joseph Veterinary College graduated its first class, a class of 13, on March 13, 1908
The College soon outgrew this building and needed new facilities of all kinds, as well as more teachers.
A building was purchased at 9th and Mary for the college where it was located until it closed in 1923




MISSOURI UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE
MISSOURI CAREER CENTER
301 South 7th Street




JACOBS AUTO BODY SHOP
302-308 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot




McCORD-BELL AUTO PARK
307 South 7th Street




1 2

STEVENS HAT COMPANY
314 South 7th Street

The Stevens Hat factory orginated in St Joseph in 1917
In 1970, they moved to 3601 South Leonard Road and took over the Stetson label
They manufactured for Stetson until they moved production to Garland,TX

Photo #1 - 1943 Newspaper advertisement
Photo #2 - 1954 Newspaper advertisement






MICHEL TIRE & BATTERY COMPANY
335-327 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot



SYLVANIE STREET INTERSECTS



1 2 3

CENTRAL FIRE STATION #1
SE Corner 7th & Sylvanie

This modern Central Fire Station is located on SE corner of 7th & Sylvanie





ARNOLD AUTO COMPANY
402-410 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot





TAYLOR ALIGNMENT SERVICE
412 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot





ANN'S CAFE
414 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot





HANSON-MEADE LOT
415 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot




Electric Magneto

ELECTRICAL & MAGNETO SERVICE
H & R TIRE & AUTO
425 South 7th Street

The original structure is gone
H & R Tire & Auto building at 701 Angelique has replaced the building



ANGELIQUE STREET INTERSECTS



HATHAWAY SERVICE STATION
501 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

YELLOW CAB COMPANY
506 South 7th Street

The Yellow Cab company was located on the Southwest corner of 7th & Angelique
The building still exists

Photo #1 - 2008 photo of Yellow Cab building
Photo #2 - Yellow Cab advertisement
Photo #3 - 1968 photo of Yellow Cab
Photo #4 - 1942 advertisement celebrating 65 years
Photo #5 - 1950 cab companies in town
Photo #6 - 2012 photo
Photo #7 - Old rusting Neon sign
Photo #8 - 1978 Advertisement




McADOO ELECTRIC COMPANY
507 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently a parking lot




MOONEY MOVING & STORAGE
514-520 South 7th Street






Circa 1890
H.C. BURKE MANUFACTURING
520 South 7th Street

The structure is gone, currently an empty lot



MESSANIE STREET INTERSECTS



Saddle Shop1 Saddle Shop2 Saddle Shop3

BILL'S SADDLE SHOP
7th & Messanie

Located on the Northwest corner of 7th & Messanie, this used to be Bill's Saddle Shop
A carpet store once occupied this building
The last time I looked, this structure was empty




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

CENTRAL POLICE STATION
NATIONAL MILITARY HERITAGE MUSEUM
701 Messanie

The St Joseph police department was created in 1858
The addition of the railroad spurred additional growth and by 1890 the police force had grown to 40 patrolmen in 10 districts
On July 17, 1890 the mayor signed an ordinance appropriating $10,000 to build a new Central Police Station on the site of a Hay and Livestock market
An additional $10,000 was later appropriated to complete the interior in time for occupancy on November 25, 1891
Continued city growth and expansion of police service necessitated an addition to the building in 1909
In 1939, the Police Department moved to a new headquarters building
The original Central Police Station saw varied subsequent uses including housing a U.S. Marine Corps howitzer unit after World War II, a taxi cab company, and a bag factory
Since 1989 the building has been the proud home of the National Military Heritage Society and museum
It was N.S.Hillyard Vocational-Technical school during 1941-1943
It is located on the Northeast corner of 7th & Messanie
There are lots of old military memories in this museum
Some years ago, a local model railroad club had an HO scale model train military themed layout inside the building

Photo #1 - Circa 1912 - police station and motorcycles
Photo #2 - National Military Museum
Photo #3 - National Military Museum
Photo #4 - National Military Museum
Photo #5 - Current view of the rear of the building
Photo #6 - 1970-1980 photo
Photo #7 - 1912 St Joseph Police Department - traffic division
Photo #8 - 1903 Canine unit
Photo #9 - Unknown circa and whose newspaper photo
Photo #10 - 1890 St Joseph Herald newspaper article




1 2

AMERICAN WALLPAPER & PAINT
SECOND SEASON SHOP
601 South 7th Street




KIRWAN FURNITURE WAREHOUSE
607-611 South 7th Street




1 2 3

MY LAUNDRY COMPANY
GETCHELL HOME LAUNDRY & DRY CLEANERS
ST JOSEPH TOWEL & LINEN SERVICE
613-615 South 7th Street
108-116 North 2nd Street
North 2nd building was demolished during Urban Renewal
ST JOSEPH TOWEL & LINEN SERVICE
Unknown address on King Hill Avenue

Hathon G. Getchell embarked in the laundry business as president of "My Laundry Company" at 613-615 South Seventh Street. The building on 7th Street later burned down

Mr Getchell then organized the Getchell Laundry Company, which, in 1913, was consolidated with the Pearl Laundry Company

He operated two plants, one on the corner of Third and Robidoux streets, and the other on King Hill Avenue

Both plants were fully equipped with all the most modern appliances for doing first-class laundrying and dry cleaning

Both plants were up-to-date in every respect, and both use auto delivery wagons
In 1952, it became St Joseph Towel & Linen Service
St Joseph Towel & Linen was in business from 1952 until 4/18/1988




ST JOSEPH FURNACE & SUPPLY COMPANY
613-615 South 7th Street




CARL WANK VETERINARIAN
616 South 7th Street




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

ST JOSEPH FOODS
619-625 South 7th Street
3207 South 759 Highway

Manufacturer of jellies, preserves, apple butter, vinegar, syrups, and salad dressings

Aug. 1, 1945 The company began as a partnership: Harold L. & Leora N. O'Reilly and J. E. Hunt

Aug. 20, 1948 The company was incorporated by H.L. O'Reilly and J. E. Hunt

Fred Hunt took over his father's interest when the J.E. passed away

Aug. 1948 The 7th street address was expanded

Nov. 1952 The 7th street address was expanded again

July, 1963 The company built a new and larger plant on 759 Highway

Mr O'Reilly paid for railroad tracks to be installed behind the building so he could receive his sugar and other supplies by rail

September 1968 The building was sold to the St Joseph Woods company who only had to change one letter on the building, making it St. Joseph Woods instead of St Joseph Foods

Much of the equipment was sold to a company starting a preserve and jelly factory on the island of Trinidad

Mr & Mrs O'Reilly moved to Trinidad for one year to help start that company (as an employee) and to develop new formulas using island fruits

Nov. 1969 The O'Reillys moved to Phoenix, Arizona

Mr O'Reilly became a Real Estate Professional, he passed away on January 7, 1993

Mrs O'Reilly passed away on March 3, 1997

Photo #1 - circa 1945
Photo #2 - circa 1945
Photo #3 - circa 1945
Photo #4 - circa 1945
Photo #5 - circa 1945
Photo #6 - circa 1945
Photo #7 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press article
Photo #8 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press photo
Photo #9 - 1961 St Joseph News-Press article
Photo #10 - Some products manufactured by St Joseph Foods
Photo #11 - Some products manufactured by St Joseph Foods
Photo #12 - Some products manufactured by St Joseph Foods
Photo #13 - Some products manufactured by St Joseph Foods
Photo #14 - Some products manufactured by St Joseph Foods
Photo #15 - Holiday adverstisement
Photo #16 - Holiday adverstisement
Photo #17 - St Joseph Foods Christmas Card
Photo #18 - St Joseph Foods stationary
Photo #19 - 1952 plant expansion
Photo #20 - The new plant on 759 highway
Photos & information was submitted by Mary O'Reilly (owner's daughter)




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu