6thstreet
South 6th Street & Connecting Streets


Hier klicken
Search St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
NOTE: Does not work for DECEASED CLASSMATES




Circa 1937: LISTING OF 6TH STREET BUSINESSES




SOUTH 6th STREET LISTINGS





AERIAL VIEW OF SOUTH 6th STREET






SOUTH 6th STREET
Circa: horse & buggy days






Circa 1908
FASHION CLOAK & SUIT COMPANY
105 South 6th Street



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Circa 1912
WEIGEL FURNITURE & CARPET
107-111 South 6th
SEARS & ROEBUCK
107 South 6th
Circa 1932
BRADY-MEHORNAY
107 South 6th
Circa 1959
MATTINGLY'S 5 & 10 CENT STORE
107 South 6th
Circa 2016
THE RESIDENCES
107 South 6th

In 1912, Weigel Furniture and Carpet was located at 107-111 South 6th
In 2011, Rick Gilmore purchased this building and began restoration
In 2016, Rick Gilmore unveiled The Residences (apartments) at 107 S. Sixth St.
The three-stories of apartments are the finishing touches of a project that began back in December 2011 when he purchased the building
In the last few years, the main floor has been restored to its former glory and is home to Make12 Church and Paradox Coffee & Theatre.
Photo #4 - 1920 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #5 - 1912 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #7 - 1941 Brady-Mehornay News Press advertisement
Photos #s 8-19 Interior & exterior views prior to restoration




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1959
MATTINGLY 5 & 10 STORE
107-111 South 6th

In 1912, Weigel Furniture and Carpet was located in this building

Historic Downtown St Joseph used to have three 5 & 10 cent stores

Actually there were 4 if you counted United Department Store as one

Mattingly's was located at 107-111 South 6th, between Edmond & Felix Streets
Mattingly's had their grand opening the week of March 5th,1959
For several years while empty, it was used as a Halloween haunted house
The building is currently unoccupied

Photo #1 - The building in which once housed Mattingly's
Photo #2 - Downtown Mattingly advertisement
Photo #3 - Mattingly building with Eshelman's in the background
Photo #4 - Circa 2013 with the Eshelman's building gone
Photo #5 - March 5, 1959 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #6 - The building in which once housed Mattingly's







Circa 1910
EMPIRE TRUST COMPANY
116 South 6th Street

Photo - 1910 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1937
SMITH'S BOOK STORE
111-116 South 6th Street

The address appears to be incorrect, cannot have been on both sides of street
Photo - 1937 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1954
STEFFEN'S BOOK STORE
114-116 South 6th Street

Photo is a 1954 newspaper advertisement

Other than owning this bookstore, Mr Steffens was the Spring Garden Principal
He was my 7th & 8th grade teacher at Spring Garden School in 1957 & 1958




1 2 3

Circa 1908
HOYLE & RARICK CLOTHING COMPANY
117 South 6th
Circa 1895
ESHELMAN'S MUSIC HOUSE
117 South 6th

Photo #1 - 1919 Hoyle & Rarick News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1967 Eshelman's News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1908 Hoyle & Rarick News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4

Circa 1930
KAUFMAN WINDOW SHADE COMPANY
119½ South 6th
Circa 1940
RECREATION CLUB
BOWLING ALLEY
119½ South 6th
The building was demolished in 2014

Even though the bowling alley was located in the 2nd floor of the building just north of the Herman Drug store, their bowling pin sign was mounted on the Herman Drug Store building at the corner of 6th & Edmond
The the bowling alley building was razed in 2014 leaving an empty lot
I worked there one week when I was 15 yrs old, manually setting pins, they did not have automatic pin setters





Circa 1906
LYRIC SILENT MOVIE THEATER
119-121 South 6th

Grand Opening: September 2,1906
Frank De Atley Manager
St Joseph's popular family resort
The Curtis Musical CO.
Opening Play: A Ten Thousand Dollar Beauty
Admission:10c 15c and 25c
All week day Matinees 10c
Newspaper Adv: Get In Line And Follow The Crowd To The Lyric
Data donated by Terry Plumb






Circa 1889
EMERY DRY GOODS
123 South 6th

In 1890 Townsend & Wall joined with Emery Dry Goods Company under the name of Townsend, Wyatt & Emery Dry Goods Company
It was destroyed by fire in September, 1893
Emery Department House in 1889 was located on the corner of 6th and Edmond
The Eshelman building was built on the site the following year



>
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

ESHELMAN MUSIC HOUSE
Em CHAMAS BRAZILIAN GRILL
123 South 6th
GROUND ROUND RESTAURANT
123 South 6th

Eshelman's Music was located on 6th Street, between Edmond and Felix
After the Herman Drug Store burned in the 1960's, the Eshelman building was remodeled and it was extended to Edmond Street
We used to come here to listen to and buy the latest music records in the 50's & 60's
Eshelman's sold all types of musical instruments, records and sheet music

Numerous businesses had occupied the building since Eshelmans closed
In 2009, the building had been empty for many years when it caught fire and was damaged quite extensively
Em Chamas Brazilian Grill purchased the structure, totally remodeled it and was open for business in July 2010
With the remodeling, it was now a beautiful building inside and out
Em Chamas Brazilian Grill closed, hoping to move to the old Herman Drug building at 7th & Edmond
The Em Chamas move has not happened yet due to financial problems

The Ground Round restaurant moved from it's East Hills location to this building in 2013
Since the move downtown, the Ground Round's business has considerably increased

The brick building on the north side had extensive fire damage & has been removed, an empty lot remains

There was a parking lot across the street that was created during Urban Renewal in the 1970's. It was a pain to enter and exit, in short, it was a mess
In 2013, the city totally renuvated the parking lot, a major improvement

Photo #1 - Artist drawing of Eshelman's
Photo #2 - Photo prior to Eshelman closing
Photo #3 - another business occupied it
Photo #4 - Mattingly & Eshelman buildings
Photo #5 - Eshelman's remodeled building
Photo #6 - Eshelman's remodeled building
Photo #7 - 2009 fire photo
Photo #8 - 2009 fire photo
Photo #9 - Damage of 2009 fire
Photo #10 - Damage of 2009 fire
Photo #11 - New Ground Round March 2013
Photo #12 - 1957 Eshelman advertisement
Photo #13 - Em Chamas
Photo #14 - Fire damage on north side
Photo #15 - Harold Jeschke retires
Photo #11 was donated by Marcia Hayes




EDMOND STREET BETWEEN 6th & 7th STREETS


EDMOND STREET INTERSECTS



1 2

Circa 1907
ATCHISON, TOPEKA & SANTE FE
Ticket Office
601 Edmond Street
Circa 1925
THE OUTLET STORE
601 Edmond Street

Photo #1 - 1907 Sante Fe News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1925 Outlet Store News Press advertisement






Circa 1915
MUND THE HATTER
208 South 6th Street

Photo - 1915 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1899
HARDMAN ENGRAVING COMPANY
224 South 6th Street

Circa 1899






Circa 1866
LOOKING EAST FROM 6th & EDMOND

1866 St Joseph News-Press photo of Edmond Street looking east from 6th Street






Circa 1889
LOOKING NORTH FROM 6th & EDMOND







Circa 1889
LOOKING SOUTH ON 6th







Circa 2016
LOOKING WEST FROM 6th & EDMOND







1

Circa 1940's
LOOKING EAST ON EDMOND

Looking east down Edmond Street, Missouri Theater is in the next block
Circa: early 1940's
Photo sumbitted by Michael Miller




Katz drug store1 2 Katz drug store3 Katz drug store4 Katz drug store5 Katz drug store6 Katz drug store7 Katz drug store8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20


Circa 1939
KENNEDY PURE FOOD MART
528 Edmond Street
Circa 1946
KATZ DRUG STORE
528 Edmond Street
FABRIC OUTLET
528 Edmond Street

In 1939, Kennedy Food Mart opened in this building

In 1946, Katz Drug store opened for business in this building

This old Katz Drug Store on the southwest corner of 6th & Edmond is still standing

It is currently occupied by some kind of flea market or antique shop


Photo #1 - 1939 Opening of Kennedy Pure Food Mart
Photo #2 - Kennedy Pure Food Mart
Photo #3 - It later became Katz Drug Store
Photo #4 - After Katz pulled out, it became a Fabric Store
Photo #5 - Looking south at 6th & Edmond
Photo #6 - Advertisement for the 6th & Francis Katz
Photo #7 - Katz advertisement
Photo #8 - A Katz paper sack
Photo #9 - A Katz paper sack
Photo #10 - Katz adv for their 2 downtown stores
Photo #11 - Kennedy Food Mart Advertisement
Photo #12 - Advertisements of a new Katz Drug Store
Photo #13 - Katz decanter of Jim Beam whiskey
Photo #14 - Katz Fountain & Luncheon Menu (Front cover)
Photo #15 - Katz Ice Cream Menu
Photo #16 - Katz Sandwich Menu
Photo #17 - 2013 photo
Photo #18 - Old photo of Kennedy Grocery
Photo #19 - 2016 residing of the Katz building
Photo #20 - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement







LOOKING SOUTH FROM 6th & EDMOND
Circa 40's or 50's

Looking south from Edmond Street towards Charles Street
Circa: Late 40's or early 50's






LOOKING NORTH FROM 6th & CHARLES






Circa 1923
LIBERTY FISH MARKET
6th & Charles




1 2

Circa 1940
LIEBLING & HERMAN FURNITURE COMPANY
NW Corner 6th & Charles
Circa 1946
LIEBLING FURNITURE COMPANY
NW Corner 6th & Charles






Circa 1930's
LOOKING NORTH FROM 6th & EDMOND

Looking north from 6th & Edmond
At the bottom right is Jones Drugs, which later will become Herman Drugs
Further up on the right side Eshelmans is visible
The street appears to be a brick street




1 2 3 Maidrite4 Maidrite5 6 7

Circa 1918
AMERICAN EXCHANGE BANK
615 Edmond Street
Circa 1960's
NICK'S DRY CLEANERS
615 Edmond Street
Circa 1930's
NICK'S DRY CLEANERS
212 South 5th

In the 1930's, Nick's Cleaners was located at 212 South 5th, just north of Western Dairy
Nick's Cleaners last location was 615 Edmond on the north side of Edmond
Both, the Edmond Street and 5th Street location are now parking lots
In the 1960's & 70's, Nick's Cleaners was owned by the Zaroor family
I do not know why the building was razed

Photo #1 - Nick's Cleaners was located at 615 Edmond street
Photo #2 - Nick's Cleaners 212 South 5th advertisement
Photo #3 - The Edmond Street empty lot where Nick's Cleaners existed
Photo #4 - Nick's Cleaners sign is visible in this photo
Photo #5 - Looking west on Edmond, Nick's can be seen on the right
Photo #6 - 1918 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #7 - 1975 St Joseph News Press Nick's Cleaners Advertisement
Photo #1 donated by Dave Sietzen




1 2 First Bank of Missouri3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

COMMERCIAL BANK
Circa 1900
AMERICAN EXCHANGE BANK
602 Edmond
Circa 1915
EMPIRE TRUST COMPANY
602 Edmond
Circa 1977
FIRST BANK OF MISSOURI
602 Edmond

First Bank of Missouri is currently located on the Southeast corner of 6th & Edmond. This replaced Empire Trust Co. which had merged with Tootle which had merged with American to form the predecessor of Merchantile Bank
In 1916, William Fairleigh Enright was Treasurer of the Empire Trust Company
In April 1976, the Empire Trust Company was razed
The historic Empire Trust clock has been reinstalled on another bank

Photo #1 - 1971 Empire Trust Company fire
Photo #2 - Empire Trust Co advertisement
Photo #3 - First Bank of Missouri
Photo #4 - Early Commercial Bank drawing, later to become Empire Trust Company
Photo #5 - City bus unloading at 6th & Edmond, Empire Trust in background
Photo #6 - A good photo of Empire Trust
Photo #7 - Razing of the building in April 1976
Photo #8 - Newspaper photo just prior to razing in 1976
Photo #9 - Removal of clock prior to razing in 1976
Photo #10 - American Exchange Bank Building in 1900
Photo #11 - Commercial Bank, predecessor of the Empire Trust Company
Photo #14 - 1916 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #3 and information was donated by Dick Heath




1 2

Circa 1905
COMMERCIAL BLOCK BUILDING
604 Edmond

This property, after the Empire Trust Company was demolished, would later become the location of the First Bank Of Missouri
Photo #1 - 1957 News-Press article on demolition of this building
Photo #2 - 1905 Dr J. J. Newell, dentist, News Press advertisement






Circa 1890
THE CENTRAL SAVINGS BANK
606 Edmond
LORREN GARLICHS INSURANCE AGENCY
606 Edmond






Circa 1890
THE STAG BARBER SHOP
607 Edmond

The Stag Barber shop on Edmond street was established in 1890
The Stag also manufactured wigs and hair pieces for men




1 2

CIRCA 1896
DILLON CEMENT PLASTER COMPANY
608 Edmond
WHITSON REALTY COMPANY
608 Edmond
Circa 1950
HEALTH SPOT SHOE STORE
608 Edmond




McGEE INSURANCE AGENCY
609 Edmond




Circa 1955
COSMOPOLITAN SHOE REPAIR #1
610 Edmond




STROP & STROP LAWYERS
611 Edmond






Circa 1920
THE ROYAL MARKET
612 Edmond




1 2

Circa 1948
DON'S CASTLE OF BEAUTY
613 Edmond
Circa 1949
DABBAS FABRICS & CUSTOM SHOP
613 Edmond
Circa 1955
PERSONAL FINANCE COMPANY
613 Edmond
Circa 1959
GARLICH INSURANCE AGENCY
613 Edmond




REX FOOD SHOP
614 Edmond






Circa 1877
HARDESTY & PATTERSON WHOLESALERS
615-617 Edmond

Wholesalers in butter, eggs, poultry, etc






Circa 1899
HUDSON'S BUFFET SALOON
617 Edmond
Circa 1928
MARSHALL'S US AUTO SUPPLY INC
617 Edmond
ARCADE NEWS STAND
617 Edmond
ARCADE BEAUTY SHOP
617 Edmond
SCHILDKNECHT'S BARBER SHOP
617 Edmond






Circa 1940
GOLDEN EAGLE CLOTHING
618 Edmond




1 Maidrite2

Circa 1910
SMITH PREMIER TYPEWRITER COMPANY
619 Edmond Street
O'BRIEN'S CAFE
619 Edmond Street
ATLAS PRINTING
619 Edmond Street






Circa 1889
THE BALLINGER BUILDING

Circa 1940
KROGER
620 Edmond

Photo - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement




Hermans1 Hermans2 Hermans3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

HERMAN DRUG STORES
620-624 Edmond
HERMAN DRUG STORES
6th & Edmond
HERMAN DRUG STORES
6th & Angelique

Once there were 9 Herman Drug stores open in St Joseph
There were 3 Herman Drug stores downtown in close vicinity to one another
The buildings at 624 Edmond and 6th & Angelique are still standing
The building at 6th & Edmond was destroyed by fire in 1962
The 624 Edmond building has been sold and is currently being remodeled

Photo #1 - Herman's Drug Store, 624 Edmond - Out of business
Photo #2 - Herman's Drug Store, 6th & Angelique - Out of business
Photo #3 - 1962 newspaper photo, Herman's Drug store 7th & Edmond
Photo #4 - 1962 6th & Edmond fire
Photo #5 - 1962 6th & Edmond fire
Photo #6 - 1962 6th & Edmond fire
Photo #7 - 1962 6th & Edmond fire
Photo #8 - Advertisement showing the 9 Herman drug stores once in existence
Photo #9 - 1958 advertisement showing the 7 remaining Herman drug stores
Photo #10 - Herman's Drug Store 624 Edmond
Photo #11 - Herman's Drug Store 624 Edmond
Photo #12 - Herman's Drug Store 6th & Edmond
Photo #13 - Herman's Drug Store 6th & Edmond




1 2 3 Hermans4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1889
THE BALLINGER BUILDING

Circa 1911
ST JOSEPH NEWS-PRESS
620-624 Edmond
Circa 1937
WALPOLE'S DRUG STORES
620-624 Edmond
HERMAN'S DRUG STORE #7
620-624 Edmond

The Ballinger Building
In 1911, the St Joseph News-Press was in this building
In 1937, Walpole Drugs occupied this building
In 1937, Walpole Drugs had 4 stores in St Joseph
In later years a Herman's Drug Store occupied the building
The building has been empty for many years
The building has been sold in 2014 & is currently being modeled

Photo #1 - 1911 St Joseph News-Press occupied this building
Photo #2 - 1937 newspaper advertisement for Walpole's Drug Stores
Photo #3 - 1937 Walpole's luncheon menu
Photo #3 - 2010 photo of Herman's Drug Store 624 Edmond
Photo #5 - Herman's Drug Store 624 Edmond
Photo #6 - Herman's Drug Store 624 Edmond
Photo #7 - 2015 a mural was painted onto the west side of the building
Photo #8 - 2015 a mural was painted onto the west side of the building




Hermans1 Hermans2

Circa 1889
THE BALLINGER BUILDING

HERMAN DRUG STORE
620-624 Edmond
BOURBON STREET SEA FOOD RESTAURANT
620-624 Edmond

620-624 Edmond is the Ballinger Building, designed by Joseph Bennett
The Bourbon Street Sea Food restaurant opened a few years ago at 2001 Messanie Street, in what was earlier, the East Side Human Resources building. It did so well, the lad closed the Messanie Street restaurant and opened it up downtown in the old Herman Drug Store
We now have 2 sea food restaurants downtown




1 2 Maidrite3 4

Circa 1915
LORENZ AND COMPANY
621 Edmond
Circa 1940
THE RENDEZVOUS
621 Edmond
Circa 1946
THE NEW RENDEZVOUS
(Sam Croner & Jim Jones)
621 Edmond
DESTROYED BY FIRE

The Rendezvous was a cocktail lounge
Several taverns had occupied this building until it burned down
Now only a parking lot exists

Photo #1 - Rendezvous advertisement
Photo #2 - Rendezvous trade token
Photo #3 - The Schlitz sign is where the Rendezvous was once located




Maid-rite1 Maid-rite2 Maid-rite3 Maid-rite4 Maidrite5 Maidrite6 Maidrite7 8

Circa 1940's
CARAMEL CORNER
623 Edmond
Circa 1955
MAID-RITE SANDWICH SHOP
623 Edmond
DESTROYED BY FIRE

Before Maid-Rite occupied this building, Carmel Corner was in it
Over the years, there were numerous Maid-Rite shops in St Joseph

The V.F.W. Hall occupied the 2nd floor above Maid-Rite

Both the Maid-Rite & the VFW Hall were destroyed by fire

The entire building was razed
After the fire, Maid-rite moved to the southwest corner of 6th & Felix

Maid-Rite occupied the old gas station on the corner of Ashland & Frederick

Maid-Rite sold the Frederick Avenue building to Crumbly Burger
The Frederick Avenue location was the last in St Joseph

Crumbly Burger didn't pay the franchise fees to retain the Maid-Rite name

Maid-Rite had also purchased the old Henry building on St. Joseph Avenue but was later sold to become the Cabana Grill

In the 1980's, there was also a small Maid-Rite at 12th & Commercial

In the 1970's, there was a Maid-Rite on the Belt Highway south of the Y Motel

There are no longer any Maid-Rites in St Joseph

Photo #1 - Carmel Corner occupied the building before Maid-Rite
Photo #1 - Night photo of Carmel Corner before Maid-Rite occupied the building
Photo #3 - Only a parking lot remains
Photo #4 - 1990's photo of 7th & Edmond location
Photo #5 - Maid-Rite at 7th & Edmond location
Photo #6 - The Maid-Rite sandwich
Photo #7 - Left to right, Nick's Cleaners, Atlas Printing, Rendevous Tavern, Maid-Rite
Photo #8 - 1976 photo




Carbry Building1 Carbry Building2 Maidrite3 Maid-rite4

Circa 1890
CARBRY BUILDING
619-623 Edmond

Carbry Building, built in 1890, located on northwest corner of 7th & Edmond
It housed numerous businesses and fell victim to fire. Maid-rite was located on the right bottom corner this building
Most of this side of Edmond Street between 6th & 7th Streets is now a parking lot




PARK FLORAL
702 Edmond




1 2 3 4

Circa 1899
B. NEWBURGER MILLINERY
113-115 South 6th Street
Circa 1906
PARRISH-ERICKSON HARDWARE COMPANY
113-115 South 6th Street
ROCKFORD FURNITURE
113-115 South 6th Street
Circa 1922
KENNEDY GROCERY
113-115 South 6th Street

Photo #1 - 1899 St Joseph News Press Advertisement
Photo #3 - 1922 St Joseph News Press Advertisement
Photo #4 - 1912 Parrish-Erickson News Press advertisement






Circa 1959
ROCKFORD FURNITURE COMPANY
113 South 6th Street

Photo #2 - 1959 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1934
JUNCTION SHOE REPAIR
119 South 6th Street

Photo - 1934 St Joseph Gazette advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

THE 1960 EDMOND FIRE DAMAGED THESE BUILDINGS
ESHELMAN MUSIC
JUNCTION SHOE REPAIR
BOWLING ALLEY
HERMAN DRUG STORE
ROCKFORD FURNITURE
ROBERT SMITH REAL ESTATE
South 6th between Edmond & Felix

These are some great photos of the 1960 downtown fire

On December 31,1960 smoke was discovered coming out of the bowling alley's roof located above Eshelman's Music

The fire damaged Eshelman's, Junction Shoe Repair, a bowling alley, Rockford Furniture, Smith Insurance and Herman's Drug store

A large crane was brought in to aid in removing upper leval material

Check out the old fashioned hard rubber wheels on the crane's trailer

A giant bowling pin sign was located on the corner edge of Herman's Drug store

The bowling ally was on the 2nd floor of the brick structure just north of Eshelmans

The bowling alley had old wooden floors and did not have automatic pin setters, they hired kids to set the pins manually

I worked there one night setting pins for 10 cents a game, it was pretty dangerous

Photo #1 - Looking southeast on 6th
Photo #2 - Herman Drug Store & giant bowling pin sign
Photo #3 - Robert Smith Real Estate & Insurance
Photo #4 - Junction Shoe Repair & Hermans
Photo #5 - Looking northeast on 6th
Photo #6 - old large crane & Eshelman's
Photo #7 - old photo showing Herman's before fire
Photo #8 - Empire Trust in background
Most of the fire photos were donated by Doug Howard






RATIONING BOARD
South 6th Street
Between Edmond & Felix

During WWII, a rationing board was established just north of Eshelman's




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1905
OLNEY-GASTON MUSIC COMPANY
207 South 6th Street
Circa 1912
HILGERT'S CAFE
207 South 6th Street
Circa 1912
HILGERT'S STAG NIGHT CLUB
207 South 6th Street
Circa 1912
HILGERT'S STAG BILLIARD ROOM
207½ South 6th Street
COSMOPOLITAN SHOE REPAIR
207 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Hilgert's Cafe was a tavern, nicknamed The Stag
The Pool Room was upstairs in the Cosmopolitan building
It was Tracy & Butler Pool Hall from 1912 until 1916
It was E. B. Tracy Billiards from 1916 until 1921

Cosmopolitan Shoe Repair 207 South 6th
Owner: Nick K Shoras

Stag Billiard Room 207½ South 6th
Owner: E. B. Tracy
Photo #6 - 1940 Stag Night Club News Press advertisement
Photo #7 - 1905 Olney-Gaston News Press advertisement



1 2

Circa 1899
PIMBLEY PAINT & GLASS COMPANY
213 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Photo #1 - Circa 1899
Photo #2 - 213 South 6th



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Circa 1909
CURTIN & CLARK HARDWARE COMPANY
209-211 South 6th Street
Circa 1949
JACKSON FURNITURE STORE
209-211 South 6th Street
STAR FURNITURE
213 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Jackson Furniture Store 209 -211 South 6th
Owners: Louis and Betty Jackson (This was not Ole Man Jackson's)
Star Furniture 213 South 6th
Owner: Saul Manski
First Missouri Bank currently occupies this entire side of 6th Street
Photo #9 - 1909 Curtin & Clark News Press advertisement

Photo #1 - Star & Jackson Furniture stores
Photo #2 - Jackson Furniture & Cosmopolitan Shoe Repair
Photo #3 - Star Furniture
Photo #4 - 1950 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #5 - 1949 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Some photos donated by Dave Sietzen




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Circa 1892
WEIGEL & ROTH FURNITURE COMPANY
214-216 South 6th street
Circa 1896
ENTERPRISE FURNITURE COMPANY
214-216 South 6th Street
Circa 1900
ENTERPRISE FURNITURE COMPANY
214-224 South 6th Street
Circa 1908
ENTERPRISE FURNITURE COMPANY
214-220 South 6th Street
Circa 1912
HARTMAN'S FURNITURE & CARPET
210-212 South 6th Street
Circa 1932
RELIABLE FURNITURE
210-212 South 6th Street
214 South 6th Street
Circa 1955
ROYAL FURNITURE
210 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The Weigel & Roth Furniture Company was organized in 1883, with a capital stock of $30,000 with Carl Weigel as President. The establishment was first located on Third street, but in 1892 was moved to 214-216 South Sixth street
A partial view of the Weigel building is visible in photo #1
Royal Furniture was located just south of the Katz Drug store on Edmond
In 1912, Weigel & Roth Furniture Company moved to 107-111 South 6th Street
A parking lot now consumes this space
Photo #1 - 210-212 & 212-214 South 6th buildings before being razed
Photo #2 - 1916 Hartman St Joseph News Pressadvertisement
Photo #3 - 1932 Reliable St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #4 - 1913 Hartman St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #5 - 1944 Reliable News Press advertisement
Photo #6 - 1948 Royal Furniture News Press advertisement
Photo #7 - Weigel's window display 212-214 South 6th by A. I. Guile
Photo #8 - 1905 Enterprise News Press advertisement
Photo #9 - 1905 Enterprise News Press advertisement
Photo #10 - 1905 Enterprise News Press advertisement






Circa 1925
ENTERPRISE FURNITURE
211-221 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The structure no longer exists
First Bank of Missouri now owns the property
Photo - 1925 News Press advertisement






JOHNNY'S GRILL
221 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The structure no longer exists, the First Bank of Missouri now owns the property



CHARLES STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1925
MID CENTRAL FISH COMPANY
6th & Charles Street




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1860
J. PFEIFFER STONE SAW MILLS
9th & Frederick
6th & Charles
Between 3rd &4 th on Locust

During this company's growth it was located at 3 different locations
This company was a manufacturer and dealer in stone, marble and granite work
The company owned steam saw mills such as seen in photo #4

The Pfeiffer Stone Company president was Charles A. Pfeiffer
The Vice-president was Joseph Pfeiffer, a native of Germany, born in 1817
When the busines was incorporated it became J. Pfeiffer Stone Saw Mills

In April 1860, a stone and marble shop at 9th & Frederick Avenue was opened
Later the business was moved to the corner of 6th & Charles Streets
At this location, a 2 story brick house with stone trimmings was erected
This served as a residence, shop, and warehouse for cement, lime, plaster, etc.
In 1867, the business was moved to Locust Street, between 3rd and 4th Streets
The company is no longer in business

Photo #1 - Advertisement card for 4th & Locust address
Photo #2 - Advertisement card for 4th & Locust address
Photo #3 - Photo of the stone work at 4th & Locust
Photo #4 - 1897 Saw mill, used to cut the stone
Photo #5 - 1904 photo of a St Joseph quarry where stone was acquired
Photo #6 - Advertisement card
Photo #7 - 1899 Advertisement






GREYHOUND BUS DEPOT
6th & CHARLES
Demolished during Urban Renewal








6th & CHARLES
Looking south on 6th




HESCHONG TAVERN
301 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

In the 1958 city directory this building was listed as vacant
The structure no longer exists




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1896 302 S 6th Vogelmann & Breunninger saloon
Circa 1899, 302-04 S 6th Breunninger Jacob A, saloon
Circa 1914 302 s 6th vacant
Circa 1915 302 S 6th Fishman & Handler saloon
Circa 1915 302 s 6th Enos J Williams, restaurant (shared space)
Circa 1915 304 S 6th vacant
Circa 1918 302 S 6th Harry Fishman saloon
Circa 1918 304 s 6th Kentucky Liquor House
Circa 1921 302 S 6th Fishman & Weinshienk, soft drinks (prohibition)
Circa 1921 304 S 6th Frank Joerndt, meats
Circa 1926 302 S 6th Aden T Baker, soft drinks
Circa 1928 302 S 6th L E Smith, soft drinks
Circa 1928 304 S 6th Jas ???, confection
Circa 1930 302 S 6th Modern Lunch
Circa 1947 302 S 6th John Vassos Restaurant
Circa 1953 302 S 6th Modern Lunch (re-opens)
Circa 1959 304 S 6th Meeks Buffet/Liquor

The building was demolished in 2012

This commercial structure was most likely built in 1887 as an investment for Mrs Amanda Corby whose name is on the water permit taken out in that year. This is substantiated by the building's abscence from the 1883 Sanborn map and its appearance on the map of 1888. The rear section was added in 1902 by the Corby Estate. Although the first story has been greatly altered, the second story of the front facade retains its elaborate Victorian period cornice and window treatment which renders this building a strongly contributing member of a potential historic discrict in the area of high quality 19th & 20th Century commercial structures
The above timeline was graciously provided by Sheryl Hullings
Photo #1 - Modern Lunch in the 1960's
Photo #2 - 1943 photo of Modern Lunch
Photo #3 - Circa: 2012 view of the lot




EL SAVOY SALES COMPANY
303-305 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

In 1958, this building was vacant
The structure no longer exists




1 2

Circa 1920
THE PACKER'S MARKET
Circa 1955
MEEKS BUFFET
304 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The structure no longer exists
Photo #2 - 1920 St Joseph News Press advertisement




ENTERPRISE FURNITURE & CARPET
305-311 South 6th Street
HERMAN & SONS FURNITURE COMPANY
305-311 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

In 1949 & 1958 city directories, this was Herman & Sons Furniture
The structure no longer exists




1 2

Circa 1888/1897/1928(Altered)
LOUIS FOX
306 South 6th Street
MAX JAMES CLOTHING
306 South 6th Street
BARGAIN CENTER
306 South 6th Street
WILLIAM COOPER BARBER SHOP
306 South 6th Street
COOPER'S SECOND HAND & ANTIQUES
306 South 6th Street
510 AA CLUB
306 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This double storefront building was substantially rebuilt in 1928 by Louis Fox who dealt in dry goods, but did not operate from this structure. A commercial building of this general configuration frist appeared on the 1897 Sanborn Fire Insurance map not showing the preceeding one of 1888. The face of the building however appears to date from the 1928 rebuilding
This vernacular structure would not detract from the establishment of an historic district in the surrounding area of high quality 19th & 20th century commercial buildings.
The street facade is divided into two bays each containing formerly similar storefronts




1 2

Circa 1950
HERMAN & SONS FURNITURE COMPANY
307-311 South 6th
OLE MAN JACKSON FURNITURE
307-311 South 6th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Ole Man Jackson's 1st store was at 4th & Charles
This is not the same Jackson Furniture that was located at 211 South 6th
The structure no longer exists






SAMUEL FINE SHOE REPAIR
UNKNOWN NAME BARBER SHOP
308 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal







Circa 1898
LEO EVELOFF CLOTHING
310 South 6th Street
MAXINE'S BOOK STORE
310 South 6th Street
PETE RICKEY
312 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






ERNEST DUNCAN
BARBER SHOP
312 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal








Circa 1890
W. R. OLIVER GROCERY
313 South 6th Street
Building was replaced by Hotel Ryan





HOTEL RYAN
313-315 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Roney Haden's parents and grandparents owned this hotel






GENE'S FURNISHINGS
314 South 6th Street
CHRISTIAN MAGRASES REALTY
314 South 6th Street
EARL & MARIE'S CAFE
314 South 6th Street
CHRIST MAGRASES USED CLOTHING
314 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






A J MILLER REALTY
314½ South 6th Street
KNAPP'S USED CLOTHING
314½ South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






KANSAS CITY STAR
315 South 6th Street
INTERSTATE COFFEE COMPANY
315 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This building was listed as vacant in 1958 city directory
The structure no longer exists




1 2

Circa 1920
CHICAGO BUTCHERS
316 South 6th Street
Circa 1953
WEDDLE'S CARPET & LINOLEUM
316 South 6th Street
Circa 1955
MICHAEL PREMIS BARBER SHOP
316 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2

Circa 1952
WEDDLE CARPET & LINOLEUM COMPANY
317-319 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal








Circa 1899
LIEBLING FURNITURE WAREHOUSE
318-320 South 6th Street
ST JOE MATTRESS COMPANY
318-320 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The front entry is deeply recessed in the center of the plateglass storefront. This comaercial structure vas built in 1899; the building permit for $6,500 vas in the name of Thomas Tootle, a prominent banker and business man who was a major investor in real eetate. Although the original cornice has been removed and the spandrel obscured; the fine second story window treatment remains intact and renders the building a strongly contributing member of a potential historic district in this area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century couercial structures.




MRS JULIA REED FURNISHED ROOMS
SANFORD DAVIS FURNISHED ROOMS
322 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1913
M. J. SHERIDAN
Circa 1955
SALVATION ARMY STORE
323 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2 3

Circa 1878
ROY KNAPP HARDWARE
324 South 6th Street
SANDY'S TAVERN
322-324 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This well intact example of the Queen Anne style retains its unusual massing and Eastlake window treatment which would contribute significantly to the establiShment of an historic district in the South Central Business District which contains many high quality 19th & 20th Century commercial buildings.
William Striblen, a druggist whose residence and business was located across the street at 323 south 6th street, acquired this property in 1878 and probably built this building as an investment about that time



SLYVANIE STREET INTERSECTS



PANAMA HOTEL
609 Sylvanie Street




BALLERINA CLUB
401 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

SEYMOR COAL COMPANY
402-406 South 6th Street
Circa 1952
EHRLICH & SONS MANUFACTURING
402-406 South 6th Street
WATTIES LOUNGE & RESTAURANT
402-406 South 6th Street
TURA'S LOUNGE
402-406 South 6th Street

Behind this facade of stucco and siding capped by wood shingles, are two brick commercial buildings. The one on the corner to the north was constructed in 1915 for Mrs Mary A. Owens as a business for $3,000. The building on the south was constructed in 1899 for Charles Nowland as a store for $1,000. Fire damage was reported in 1978 and repairs were made in that year by Tura V. Fanning who probably added the present facade. The buildings with their present joint facade would not contribute to the establishment of a historic district in this area of predominantly 19th & 20th Century high quality commercial buildings
Ehrlich & Sons moved to this address in 1952 from 312 West Colorado
Tura's Lounge structure is now gone

Photo #1 - Tura's Lounge, a bar with music & dancing
Photo #3 - 1952 St Joseph News Press advertisement




STAR FURNITURE STORAGE
403 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




PILCHER HOTEL
405 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






GIBB'S BARBER SHOP
407 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






GIBB'S SECOND HAND FURNITURE
409 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






1 2 3 4

Circa 1902
JACOB ABRAMSON FURNITURE
411-413 South 6th Street

Circa 1948
STAR FURNITURE & CARPET COMPANY
411-413 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Jacob Abramson died in 1920, his wife Freda died in 1951
They were Russian immigrants who arrived in St Joseph in 1893
By 1894, Jacob ran a 2nd hand store with Jacob Rosenthal
By 1900 he advertised stoves and furniture
In 1902 it was a new and 2nd hand store
In 1955 it was Star Furniture
The building no longer exists, currently a parking lot

Photos #1,2,3 - A token found by Louie Martinez while metal detecting in 2013
Photo #4 - 1948 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3

Circa 1902
THOMAS J. CUNNINGHAM'S GROCERY
And Residence
410-412 South 6th Street
LEAGUE THRIFT SHOP
412 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The building permit for this property was taken out in 1902 in the name of Thomas J. Cunningham. Cunningham had a grocery store and his residence at 410 South 6th
This turn-of-the-century double storefront retains much of its original detailing inspired by the Beaux Art School
According to the 1919 newspaper advertisement, he was going out of business in 1919
Photo #1 - 1919 Cunningham Grocery News Press Advertisement




MRS GERALDINE WRIGHT'S
FURNISHED ROOMS
412½ South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




Circa 1920
TODD-SUNSHINE COAL COMPANY
Circa 1953
MIDTOWN USED FURNITURE
414 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






TURA'S FOUR TWENTY CLUB
420 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




SAVOY HOTEL
421 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2 3

Circa 1902/1925
HARRY PARISOFF'S GROCERY
420-424 South 6th Street
Circa 1964
CARPET CENTER
420-424 South 6th Street
COOKMAN'S PRINTING
420-424 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The corner building was constructed in 1902 by the real estate investment company, Bartlett Brothers; the price listed on the building permit was $2.500. The grocer, Harry Parisoff, was listed as conducting business here as early as 1909. The building to the north was built in 1925 by Harry Parisoff, as an apparent addition to the preceding one. The price given on the building permit was $9,000.
This pair of buildings with its compatible Beaux Arts detailing, use and scale would contribute significantly to the establishment of a historic district in this area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century commercial structures.




SAVOY BAR
423 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal



ANGELIQUE STREET INTERSECTS



Herman Drug Store1 Herman Drug Store2

HERMAN DRUG STORE #1
501 South 6th Street






Circa 1951
BLOCK'S ARMY STORE
502 South 6th Street
Circa 1955
GI JOE ARMY STORE
502 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1912
Chili King
503 South 6th Street
Circa 1917
CHANDLEE PAINT & GLASS COMPANY
503 South 6th Street
HERMAN DRUG STORE OFFICES
503 South 6th Street

Photo - 1917 Chandlee Paint & Glass advertisement




BROWN'S BARBECUE
504 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2

UNKNOWN BUILDING COMING DOWN
505 or 507 South 6th Street

After this building is razed, other than the Herman building at 501 So 6th, the entire block will be vacant






STAR FURNITURE WAREHOUSE
KNAPPS NEW & USED
506 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






RAY'S CAFE
STAFFORDS FURNITURE
508 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






EARL'S WARDROBE
USED CLOTHES
509 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






STAR FURNITURE WAREHOUSE
510 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal








KNAPP'S HARDWARE
511 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






HERB'S TAVERN
512 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal








ROBERT WOODRUFF MILLINER
DEE JAYS
513 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Robert Woodruff manufactured hats and headwear in the 1950's
The structure no longer exists






JAMES' BARBER SHOP
STORE WITHOUT A NAME
(That was the store's name)
514 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






MILLERS TRADING POST
515 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






C & R CIGAR STORE
516 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2 3

Circa 1908
E. ZAROOR GROCERY
517 South 6th Street
STAFFORD FURNITURE STORAGE
MILLERS USED STORE
517 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






GREEN GRILL CAFE
518 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2

Circa 1920
G. W. SHEPHERD MEAT MARKET
518½ South 6th Street
Circa 1921
JAKE BUTCHER SHOE REPAIR
518½ South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




STAFFORD FURNITURE STORAGE
518-A South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




SHAFER ROOMING HOUSE
518½ South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1920
SCHRANCK'S TOY SHOP
FULL GOSPEL MISSION
Samitarian volunteer workers
519 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




ST JOE HOTEL
518 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




EAGLE HOTEL
519 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




Staffords Household Goods1 Staffords Rented Real Indian2 Staffords - empty lot3 Staffords - empty lot4 Staffords - empty lot5

STAFFORD'S HOUSEHOLD GOODS
521-523 South 6th Street
508-510 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

In 1952, his store was located on the northeast corner of 6th & Messanie

Byron Stafford sold new & used merchandise such as household goods, furniture, and a big selection of toys

Mr Stafford paid Chief Raincloud, a real Indian, to stand in front of the store

In 1957, Mr Stafford moved to 508-510 South 6th Street

In photo #4, Byron Stafford is standing in doorway of his store at 508-10 South 6th

The white painted building on the north side was owned by Roy Knapp

There is only an empty lot now at 6th & Messanie

Photo #1 - 1952 Stafford's store
Photo #2 - Chief Raincloud standing in front of the store as an advertising aid
Photo #3 - empty lot where the store once stood
Photo #4 - Color photo of the store at 508-510 South 6th
Photos were donated by Rick Stafford




1 2

TOM'S TAVERN
HAROLD SHAEFER TAVERN
QUIET TAVERN
524 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal



MESSANIE STREET INTERSECTS





SALVATION ARMY
602 Messanie




1 2 3

SALVATION FAMILY & DONATIONS STORE
619 South 5th Street


This store opened in 2015




Circa 1961
HENRY BERRY GARAGE
Hydraulic Jacks Repaired
6th & Messanie Street






Circa 1939
WESTERN CHEMICAL COMPANY
613-621 Messanie Street




Circa Before 1932
SALVATION ARMY
614 Messanie Street




1 2 3

Circa 1889
KIRWAN'S FURNITURE
602-614 Messanie

This was once a very popular furniture and carpet store
Photo #1 - 1972 St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement
Photo #2 - 1967 St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement
Photo #3 - 1949 St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement




Circa 1921
J. A. ANISER HARNESS MFG COMPANY
608 Messanie Street




HARRY'S TRUCK & AUTO GAS STATION
602 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1950
CULLIGAN SOFT WATER
606 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1894
DAVID HUSTON SHOE MAKER
609 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




FARMER'S EQUIPMENT WHOLESALE
615 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




STAR FURNITURE & CARPET
(WHOLESALE)
619 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






1 2

Circa 1890
VICTORIA HOTEL
POMRANTZ MEN'S CLOTHING
622-624 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






FARMER'S EQUIPMENT COMPANY
(STORAGE)
627 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






QUALITY PRINTING COMPANY
628 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






ETTLE GIFFORD 2ND HAND STORE
632 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal








Circa 1938
GUY'S NUT & POTATO CHIP
631 South 6th Street





ROSEBUD WRECKING YARDS
632 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






FARMER'S EQUIPMENT COMPANY
640 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal








Circa 1946
FARMER'S EQUIPMENT WHOLESALE
644 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal



LOCUST STREET INTERSECTS



1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1955
GREEN TREE HOTEL
701-703 South 6th
Circa 1955
GREEN TREE TAVERN
701-703 South 6th
Circa 1955
GREEN TREE COFFEE SHOP & NITE CLUB
701-703 South 6th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The 1953 City Directory lists a Green Tree Hotel at 701 South 6th
The Green Tree Tavern, Nite Club and Cafe was located at 703 South 6th
It was owned by Virgil Townsend
As visible on the cafe window, it was operated by Ethel Chaney
To the right was another business called A-Rite Meats
The meat company was run by Johnnie Roskey
Guys Potato Chip Warehouse was located north of the Green Tree
Pat Townsend said that at end of the cafe counter was a hallway to the bar
Check out the food prices

Photo #1 - The entire block is now an empty lot with trees
Photo #2 - A great photo of the establishment
Photo #3 - On the left is Mary Townsend, Leona Townsend is on the right
Photo #4 - Inside of the cafe, the lady on the left is Ethel Chaney
Photo #5 - Virgil Townsend Trade Token
Photo #6 - Arnold Silvey, Johnny Weatherman, Bill O'Meara
Some B&W photos & info were submitted by Butch and Dea Allen




1 2

Circa 1945
SAM'S TIRE SHOP
711 South 6th Street
Circa 1981
TRI-COUNTY HOME IMPROVEMENT
711 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




A-RITE MEAT COMPANY
711-713 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






ST JOSEPH WHOLESALE LIQUOR
716-718 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




STUPPY FLORAL COMPANY
720 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal



MARY STREET INTERSECTS



SQUIRES MUSIC COMPANY
726 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




PLUMLEE BOTTLE EXCHANGE
732 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




BAINTER CONSTRUCTION
737 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




E-L WHOLESALE LIQUOR
742 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal



PATEE STREET INTERSECTS



/>
Circa 1891
E. W. RAY & SON
Building Materials
6th & Patee




Circa 1882
ST JOSEPH COAL COMPANY
Southeast Corner of 6th & Patee




ST JOSEPH IMPLEMENT COMPANY
802 South 6th Street






NORMAN TIRE & SUPPLY COMPANY
810 South 6th Street




Imperial Oil1 Imperial Oil2 Imperial Oil3 Imperial Oil4 Imperial Oil5 Imperial Oil6 Imperial Oil7 Imperial Oil8 Imperial Oil9 Imperial Oil10 Imperial Oil11 Imperial Oil12 Imperial Oil13 Imperial Oil14 Imperial Oil15

IMPERIAL CENTRAL STATE OIL CO
811 South 6th

Owned and operated by Jim Loveless and his son Bruce
Bruce let me photograph 13 of the Imperial photos he had framed in his office
I would have loved to been able to scan the photos for better quality
The photos ranged from the early 1930's to the 1980's
This is still Imperial Oil in 2014
The structure has been modified but it is still in the same location




MISSOURI WATER & STEAM SUPPLY
818 South 6th Street




1 2 3

Circa 1907
COLBERT MACHINERY COMPANY
826-828 South 6th Street
Circa 1940
COLBERT PLUMBING SUPPLY
826-828 South 6th Street
Circa 1955
COLBERT, INC.
826-828 South 6th Street
Circa 1981
COLBERT SUPPLY
826 South 6th Street




VORHEES EQUIPMENT
GAS STATION SUPPLY
830 South 6th Street



OLIVE STREET INTERSECTS



Circa 1946
McCue Coal Company
901 South 6th Street




DEE LITE CAFE
902 South 6th Street




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1867
BROWN TRANSFER & STORAGE
GENERAL OFFICES
920-932 South 6th Street

The large building on the right has a 1906 date on it
Brown Transfer is no longer located at this address, the building is empty
Brown Transfer has now moved to an industrial park, they are currently located at 5901 North East Woodbine Rd
In 2015, a rainstorm caused some brick damage to this vacant building as seen in photos $5 and #6
Photo #1 - Main entrance from 6th street
Photo #2 - 1967 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1913 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #4 - 1981 St Joseph News Press photograph
Photo #5 - 2015 St J Post photo
Photo #6 - 2015 St J Post photo
Photo #7 - View of the north end of the structure




UARCO BUSINESS FORMS
Located in Brown Transfer & Storage building
920-932 South 6th Street




VICTOR ADDING MACHINES SALES OFFICE
Located in Brown Transfer & Storage building
920-932 South 6th Street




ACME FAST FREIGHT
Located in Brown Transfer & Storage building
920-932 South 6th Street




NILES & MOSER CIGAR COMPANY
Located in Brown Transfer & Storage building
920-932 South 6th Street




Circa 1920
MANNAN-SMITH SUPPLY
COAL & BUILDING MATERIALS
1002 South 6th Street



RAILROAD CROSSING



1 2

Circa 1920
BADGER LUMBER COMPANY
1202 South 6th Street
Circa 1956
NATIONAL CLEANERS
1202 South 6th Street

Photo #1 - 1920 St Joseph Gazette advertisement
Photo #2 - 1956 St Joseph Newspress advertisement




SPINNER RESTAURANT
1208 South 6th Street




HY-LINER COCKTAIL LOUNGE
1210 South 6th Street




HABER HOTEL
1212 South 6th Street




Circa 1921
AMERICAN SHOE & FURNISHING CO
1214 South 6th Street




ACE SCALE COMPANY
1216 South 6th Street




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1882
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
T. WINSTON mgr
1524-1526 South 6th Street
Circa 1889
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
T LAUGHLIN mgr
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1890
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
T LAUGHLIN mgr
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1893
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1893
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1304-1306 South 6th Street
Circa 1894
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1304-1306 South 6th Street
Circa 1894
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
T LAUGHLIN mgr
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1895
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1304-1306 South 6th Street
Circa 1895
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
T LAUGHLIN mgr
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1896
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1304-1306 South 6th Street
Circa 1896
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
1200 South 6th Street
Circa 1898
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1304-1306 South 6th Street
Circa 1899
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1304-1306 South 6th Street
Circa 1900
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1304-1306 South 6th Street
Circa 1900
UNION DEPOT HOTEL & CAFE
Proprietor: Henderson
1304-1308 South 6th Street
Circa 1900
UNION DEPOT
LOUIS MEYER SALOON
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1900
UNION DEPOT
BROWNLEE BARBER SHOP
In Basement
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1900
UNION DEPOT
FRANK STOUT DRUG STORE
1308 South 6th Street
Circa 1901
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1304-1306 South 6th Street
Circa 1901
UNION DEPOT HOTEL & CAFE
Proprietor: Henderson
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1901
UNION DEPOT
LOUIS MEYER SALOON
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1901
UNION DEPOT
BROWNLEE BARBER
In Basement
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1901
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
Proprietor: Henderson
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1901
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
Burlington Route News Service
1306 South 6th Street
Circa 1901
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
Union Depot Pharmacy
1308 South 6th Street
Circa 1902
MEYERS EUROPEAN HOTEL
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1902
MEYERS EUROPEAN HOTEL
LOUIS J. MEYER SALOON
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1902
MEYERS EUROPEAN HOTEL
BROWNLEE BARBER
In Basement
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1902
JOSEPH L. MEYER HOTEL
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1902
THIS IS NO US EXPRESS COMPANY
1306 South 6th Street
Circa 1902
JOSEPH L. MEYER HOTEL
UNION DEPOT PHARMACY
1308 South 6th Street
Circa 1902
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1222-1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1904
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL & RESTAURANT
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1904
NO UNION DEPOT HOTEL LISTED
Circa 1904
ERNEST EVERHART RESTAURANT
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1904
LOUIS MEYER SALOON
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1904
FRED MOODY
unknown
Circa 1905
NO UNION DEPOT HOTEL LISTED
Circa 1905
ERNEST EVERHART RESTAURANT
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1905
LOUIS MEYER SALOON
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1905
ERNEST EVERHART RESTAURANT
(old sign)
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1905
US EXPRESS COMPANY
1306 South 6th Street
Circa 1905
UNION DEPOT PHARMACY
1308 South 6th Street
Circa 1905
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1906
NO UNION DEPOT HOTEL LISTED
Circa 1906
ERNEST EVERHART RESTAURANT
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1906
BROWNLEE BARBER SHOP
In Basement
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1906
US EXPRESS COMPANY
1306 South 6th Street
Circa 1906
UNION DEPOT PHARMACY
1308 South 6th Street
Circa 1906
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1906
CHRIS OFFEN SALOON
1226 South 6th Street
Circa 1907
NO UNION DEPOT HOTEL LISTED
Circa 1907
MRS MINNIE EVERHART RESTAURANT
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1907
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1910
NO UNION DEPOT HOTEL LISTED
Circa 1910
MRS MINNIE EVERHART RESTAURANT
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1910
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1911
NO UNION DEPOT HOTEL LISTED
Circa 1911
MRS MINNIE EVERHART RESTAURANT
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1911
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1912
NO UNION DEPOT HOTEL LISTED
Circa 1912
MRS MINNIE EVERHART RESTAURANT
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1912
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1913
NO UNION DEPOT HOTEL LISTED
Circa 1913
MRS G. A. ALLEN RESTAURANT
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1913
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1914
NO UNION DEPOT HOTEL LISTED
Circa 1914
W. H. GLEASON RESTAURANT
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1914
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1915
NO RESTAURANT LISTED
Circa 1915
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
William H. Gleason
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1915
KRATT & MEYER SALOON
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1915
BROWNLEE BARBER SHOP
In Basement
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1915
FRANK STOUT DRUG STORE
1308 South 6th Street
Circa 1915
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1917
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
William H. Gleason
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1917
W. H. GLEASON RESTAURANT
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1917
KRATT & MEYER SALOON
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1917
BROWNLEE BARBER SHOP
In Basement
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1917
FRANK STOUT DRUG STORE
1308 South 6th Street
Circa 1917
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1918
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
Sami Ziay
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1918
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1921
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
Sami Ziay
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1921
OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1924
ANDREWS HOTEL
1222-1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1921
OTTEN SALOON
1226 South 6th Street
Circa 1921
ERICH ESTINGHAUSEN RESTAURANT
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1921
SEP MEYER SOFT DRINKS
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1921
UNION DEPOT PHARMACY
1308 South 6th Street
Circa 1924
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
Eliza A. Gulley
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1924
SEP MEYER SOFT DRINKS
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1928
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1928
ANDREWS HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1930
ANDREWS HOTEL CAFE
Louis Peachtree mgr
1222 South 6th
Circa 1932
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1924
SALOON ADDRESS IS VACANT
PROHIBITION
1302 South 6th Street
Circa 1932
ANDREWS HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1932
ANDREWS HOTEL CAFE
1222 South 6th Street
Circa 1932
EDWARD KOCH DRUG STORE
1226 South 6th Street
Circa 1933
UNION DEPOT HOTEL
1304 South 6th Street
Circa 1933
ANDREWS HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1935
ANDREWS HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1940
ANDREWS HOTEL & TAVERN
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1951
ANDREWS HOTEL
HARDY HOTELS COMPANY
McDowell Wade
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1951
ANDREWS TAVERN
1226 South 6th Street
Circa 1955
ANDREWS HOTEL
McDowell Wade
1224 South 6th Street
Circa 1960
ANDREWS HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street

Otten's European Hotel was known to be in operation in 1893
It was located across the street from Union Depot
In later years, it was called Union Depot Hotel & Cafe
In 1924, it became the Andrews Hotel
Next door south of the hotel was a pharmacy and barber shop
All buildings except one are gone now
The Timeline was supplied by Sheryl Hullings
Photo #1 - Old photo of the Hotel's block
Photo #2 - Old photo of the Hotel & Cafe
Photo #3 - Old photo of the Hotel's block
Photo #4 - 1970's St Joseph Historical Society document
Photo #5 - Advertisement for the hotel
Photo #6 - Postcard
Photo #7 - 1890 Union Depot St Joseph Gazette advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Circa 1890-1891
UNION DEPOT aka UNION STATION
1221 South 6th

The first depot opened 1890-1891 (See top picture in photo #5)

In 1895 the original depot burned down

In 1896, a new depot was built to replace the original - see photo #1

November 1934, the "Silver Streak Zephyr" made it's maiden run
K.C., St.Joseph, Omaha & Lincoln

Railroad lines serviced here: Santa Fe - Burlington Route - Chicago Great Western
Rock Island - Missouri Pacific - Union Pacific

During the late 1950's and early 1960's, the Burlington Route, Chicago Great Western and Rock Island moved out of the Union Depot into their own stations

Soon after, all passenger trains were discontinued thus the depot was not needed

This once beautiful structure was located on South 6th Street, just north of Mitchell

It had marble floors and gold plated bathroom fixtures

At one time, 50 to 90 trains came through this station daily

The depot sat empty for many years, Burlington razed the building in the early 1960's without notifying anyone

The Union Depot contained the following companies:
St Joseph Depot Company, Union Station Cafe, Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad station, Chicago Rock Island & Pacific Railroad station, Union Pacific Railroad passenger station, Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad passenger station, Chicago Great Western Railroad passenger station, St Joseph Union Depot baggage room, Yellow Cab Company and Western Union Telegraph Company

Photo #1 - 1886 St Joseph Union Depot
Photo #2 - 1934 "Silver Streak Zephyr" maiden run
Photo #3 - Engineer L.P. Miller and his grandchild
Photo #4 - Engineer L.P. Miller and his grandchild
Photo #5 - St Joseph's 2 Union Depots
Photo #6 - CB & Q Doodlebug at Union Station
Photo #7 - 1959 photo of depot inside
Photo #8 - Trolley at depot
Photo #9 - Union Station Restaurant
Photo #10 - Union Station Cafe
Photo #11 - Hannibal & St Joseph RR mail car
Photo #12 - 1862 Engine #35 & mail car
Photo #13 - Zephyr Vista Dome advertisement
Photo #14 - Rear view of Union Depot
Photo #15 - City bus unloading at the Union Depot
Photo #16 - CB & Q Doodlebug at Union Station
Photo #17 - CB & Q 0-6-0 switcher in 1938
Photo #18 - CB & Q 2-6-2 locomotive at Depot
Photo #19 - 1955 Burlington Zephyr at Depot
Photo #20 - St Joseph Union Depot about 1920
Photo #21 - Depot scene in the 1950's
Photo #22 - Hannibal & St Joseph RR mail car
Photo #23 - The original Union Depot
Photo #24 - View looking east from yards
Photo #25 - Union Depot Cafe lunch counter
Photo #26 - President Taft 1304 South 6th Street
Photo #27 - Union Depot Lunch counter
Photo #28 - Union Depot Lunch counter
Photo #29 - 6th Street view of Union Depot
Photo #30 - 6th Street view of Union Depot
Photos #2,3,4 were donated by Ken West
Photo #24 donated by Rick Stafford




ANDREW HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street




ANDREWS TAVERN
1226 South 6th Street



MITCHELL AVENUE INTERSECTS



NEWMAN'S EAT SHOP
1302 South 6th Street




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Circa 1950
FLORA'S CAFE
1310 South 6th


Flora's Cafe was on the south end of a block across from Union Depot (photo #7)
The block had a hotel, drug store, barber shop with baths & a saloon
A BATHS sign can be seen in photo #4
Barber poles are in front of Flora's, it may have previously been a barber shop
The Flora's Cafe structure is the only remaining structure in 2013
Some photos submitted by Rodney Keyes
Photo #10 - 1950 Flora's Cafe advertisement




U.S. POST OFFICE STATION A
1315 South 6th Street




RAILWAY EXPRESS AGENCY
EXPRESS TERMINAL
1319-1325 South 6th Street




1 2 3

Circa 1899
SEYMOUR COAL COMPANY
1402 South 6th Street
RAILWAY EXPRESS AGENCY OFFICE
1402 South 6th Street
Circa 1981
CALICO COTTAGE
1402 South 6th Street




1 2 3 4

Circa 1881
DEMUTH STOVE REPAIR
DEMUTH SUPPLY COMPANY
1420 South 6th Street

Photo #1 - 1881 St Joseph News Press Advertisement
Photo #2 - 1888 St Joseph News Press Advertisement
Photo #3 - 1947 St Joseph News Press Advertisement
Photo #4 - 1970 St Joseph News Press Advertisement




1 2 3 4

Circa 1935
N. D. BILES & COMPANY
1422 South 6th Street
Circa 1955
BILES AND COMPANY
1422 South 6th Street




Circa 1880
SHAMROCK BOARDING HOUSE
1517 S 6th Street

The Shamrock House (Boarding House) was located at 1517 S 6th Street (near NE corner of 6th & Monterey) just down the street from the Union Depot. It also had a saloon/tavern attached or right next to the boarding house. William Loftus was the proprietor until he died in 1883, his wife, Bridget, continued to operate the establishment. She remarried in 1887 and her husband John Flynn took over. William's son became the bartender. Bridget died in 1891 and the property went to the Loftus estate. The estate administrator operated the establishment until it was sold in 1912.
The above description was submitted by Sheryl Hullings






Circa 1918
FREED'S MEATS, GROCERIES, DRY GOODS
1530 South 6th Street







Circa 1957
ECONOMY FURNITURE COMPANY
2235 South 6th Street




HICKORY STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1977
MADGET CONSTRUCTION COMPANY
2307 South 6th Street




OAK STREET INTERSECTS



1 2 3

GENERAL MARINE (SPEEDLINER BOATS)
AMG RESOURCES MIDWEST
2435 South 6th


In the 1950's, General Marine built Speedliner boats and other marine items
The building is currently occupied by AMG, which is a recycling company
Photo #1 - 1950 magazine advertisement
Photo #2 - 1959 magazine advertisement
Photo #3 - 1959 advertisement







Circa 1899
KANSAS & TEXAS COAL COMPANY
6th & Lafayette




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu