North 6th Street
North 6th Street & Connecting Streets



Hier klicken
Search St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
NOTE: Does not work for DECEASED CLASSMATES




Circa 1937: LISTING OF 6TH STREET BUSINESSES




6th & FELIX LISTINGS





Circa 1910
McKELVEY'S JEWELERS
603 Frederick Avenue

I would like to know the path Frederick took to get down to 6th Street

Photo - 1910 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1907
BUSY CORNER DEPARTMENT STORE
6th & Felix






Circa Early 1900s
Youngster in a horse & buggy
6th & Felix






Circa 1931
THE NEW HARTMAN STORE
6th & Felix






Circa 1860
MICHIGAN WAGON DEPOT
6th & Felix

I would love to know how Frederick Avenue made it's way to 6th Street




1 2 3

CHRISTMAS SEASON ON FELIX STREET

Downtown decorated during the season

Photo #1 - Circa 1940's Looking east from 5th & Felix
Photo #2 - Circa 1974 Looking west from 6th & Felix
Photo #3 - 5th Street decorations - note trolley rails




1 2 3

Circa 1910
OLNEY MUSIC COMPANY
6th & Felix

Photo #1 - 1910 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1919 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1912 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1911
LOOKING WEST AT 6th & FELIX






Circa 1940's
LOOKING SOUTH AT 6th & FELIX STREET

Photo submitted by Michael Miller






LOOKING WEST AT 6th & FELIX STREET



>

ASSORTED STORES ON FELIX



1 7th Felix2 7th Felix3 7th Felix4 5 7th Felix6 7 7th Felix8 5th Felix9 Mannshreck Book Store10 5th Felix11 5th Felix12 7th Felix13 14 15 5th Felix16 5th Felix17 5th Felix18 5th Felix19 5th Felix20 5th Felix21 5th Felix22 5th Felix23 5th Felix24 5th Felix25

FELIX STREET STORES
Between 5th & 7th

JC Penny can be seen in photo #1, it is the large building at the far right
A painted on Steinway Piano sign is near the top of the JC Penny building
In photos #2 & 3, Thom McCan Shoes, Everett Shoes, Steve Shoes, Joe Geller & Modeo Day are all getting ready to go out of business because of Urban Renewal
What a shame

Photo #1 - Scheduled for demolition
Photo #2 - Scheduled for demolition
Photo #3 - Scheduled for demolition
Photo #4 - 2005 North side of 7th & Felix
Photo #5 - Mannschreck's, now a tavern
Photo #6 - Joe Opticans on the corner
Photo #7 - The Paris & Zales Jewelry
Photo #8 - The Paris
Photo #9 - Einbenders
Photo #10 - Mannschreck's
Photo #11 - Mannschreck OLD ADV on 7th
Photo #12 - Steve's Shoes advertisement
Photo #13 - 2005 photo
Photo #14 - 2005 photo
Photo #15 - 2005 photo
Photo #16 - 2005 photo
Photo #17 - 2005 photo
Photo #18 - 2005 photo
Photo #19 - 2005 photo
Photo #20 - 2005 photo
Photo #21 - 2005 photo
Photo #22 - 2005 photo
Photo #23 - Joe Geller quitting business
Photo #24 - Everett Shoes new location
Photo #25 - Steve's Shoes business card




FELIX BETWEEN 6th & 7th STREETS



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Circa 1893
TOWNSEND, WYATT & EMERY
602-614 Felix
Circa 1906
TOWNSEND & WYATT
602-614 Felix
Circa 1908
TOWNSEND-UEBERRHEIN CLOTHING COMPANY
602-614 Felix
Circa 1912
TOWNSEND & WYATT DRY GOODS COMPANY
602-614 Felix
Circa 1930
SCHUTE-UNITED DEPARTMENT STORE
602-614 Felix
Circa 1931
UNITED DEPARTMENT STORE
602-614 Felix

Neoclassical masonry commercial building designed by Eckel & Aldrich which served for many years as the Townsend-Ueberrhein Clothing Co.
Terra cotta detailing and other features virtually intact from historic period.
This was a large, multi-floor department store, some people considered it a 5 & 10 cent store
They had a large toy & clothing section in the basement
It could not compare with Kresge or Woolworth selections and pricing
They did have a nice jewelry counter with competitive pricing
According to advertisements, in 1930, it was Schute-United Dept. store
In 1931, Schute-United became United Department Store

Photo #1 - Circa: Nov 27,1917 Construction of the United Department Store
Photo #2 - 6th Street entrance
Photo #3 - 1950's busy street & sidewalks
Photo #4 - United Department Store
Photo #5 - View from 6th Street
Photo #6 - View from 6th & Felix
Photo #7 - Interior view of United Department Store
Photo #8 - Circa: 1930's, looking south on 6th from Felix, United & Mattingly on the left
Photo #9 - Circa 1919
Photo #10 - Circa 1918
Photo #11 - Circa 1918
Photo #12 - 1918 letter of explanation
Photo #13 - 1930 Schute-United Department Store advertisement
Photo #14 - 1893 Townsend, Wyatt & Emery fire
Photo #15 - 1931 United Department Store advertisement
Photo #16 - 1908 Townsend-Ueberrhein Newspress advertisement
Photo #17 - looking west on Felix
Photo #18 - 1906 Townsend & Wyatt News Press advertisement
Photo #20 - 1912 474/906 Townsend & Wyatt News Press advertisement



FELIX STREET BETWEEN 6th & 7th



JACOB SAFERSTEIN
United Department Store Optomotrist
602 Felix

The jewelry counter was located inside the United Department Store






Circa 1905
SINGER SEWING MACHINES
604 Felix

Photo - 1905 St Joseph News Press advertisement
TOWNSEND-UEBERRHEIN Dept Store occupied the address in 1918






Circa 1906
WING
Haberdasher
613 Felix

Photo - 1906 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1866
St Joseph Guaranty Title
624 Felix

Photo - 1967 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1941
Two Unknown girls
Between 6th & Felix and 6th & Francis

Circa 1941, 2 girls walking on the sidewalk between Townsend & Wall Deptartment Store and S.S. Kresge dime store






Circa 1899
KANSAS & TEXAS COAL COMPANY
6th & Lafayette




1 2 Kresege3 Kresge Five & Dime stores4 5 6  Five & Dime store7 Five & Dime stores8 Five & Dime stores9  Five & Dime store10  Five & Dime store11 12 13 14 15 16

Circa 1930
S. S. KRESGE 5 & 10 STORE
601 Felix
Circa 1930
S. S. KRESGE 5 & 10 NOTIONS
601 Felix

The S.S.Kresge & Woolworth dime stores replaced the Leader Department store in 1931. Kresge & Woolworth were often refered to as the "dime stores" or "5 and 10 cent stores" because they had many items that could be purchased for 5 or 10 cents
Kresge's was the most popular of the dime stores as it was the largest
It had a great lunch counter with fabulous 15 cent limeades and you could keep the tall dark green glass. My grandmother must have had 50 of those glasses
Since it was on the corner, it was also easier to enter and exit via the side door on the 6th Street side

Photo #1 - Kresge's as it once stood
Photo #2 - Kresge's as it once stood
Photo #3 - Kresge's as it once stood
Photo #4 - The demolition of Kresge's & Woolworth
Photo #5 - The demolition of Kresge's & Woolworth
Photo #6 - Kresege Halloween advertisement
Photo #7 - Kresege's 1940 employees
Photo #8 - Kresge's & Woolworth's now empty lots
Photo #9 - Kresge's & Woolworth's now empty lots
Photo #10 - Kresge's & Woolworth's now empty lots
Photo #11 - Kresge's & Woolworth's now empty lots
Photo #12 - 1946 police ticketing jaywalkers
Photo #13 - Apple Blossum parade passes Kresge
Photo #14 - Kresge's closed just prior to razing
Photo #15 - Kresge's Soda Fountain
Photo #16 - SS Kresge advertisement





1 Leader2 Leader3 Leader4 Leader5 Leader6 Leader7 Leader8 Leader9 Leader10 Leader11 Leader12 Leader13

Circa 1890
LEADER DEPARTMENT STORE
Dry Goods Company
605-611 Felix
Circa 1908
STURGES, ELLINGWOOD & GOERMAN
Dry Goods Company
605-611 Felix

Leader Dept store was replaced by S. S. KRESGE 5 & 10 store in 1931
Today, a parking lot is all that remains where 2 dime stores once resided
Photo #1 - The Leader taken in 1890
Photo #2 - The Leader taken in 1900
Photo #3 - The Leader, Sturges, Underwood & Goerman
Photo #4 - Early photo
Photo #5 - Circa 1923
Photo #6 - he Leader, Sturges, Underwood & Goerman
Photo #7 - 1905 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #8 - Carriages in front of Leader Dept Store
Photo #9 - Carriage on opposite side of the street
Photo #10 - Women on the sidewalk in front of Leader Dept Store
Photo #11 - Horse & Buggy in street in front of Leader Dept Store
Photo #12 - 1905 Leader Department Store stock certificate
Photo #13 - 1908 Sturges, Underwood & Goerman advertisement




1 2 3 4

Circa 1890
THE FAIR
612-614 Felix
Circa 1905
ENDERBROOK BROTHERS
612 Felix
Circa 1911
HOLLAND-HARTIGAN SHOE STORE
612-614 Felix
Circa 1913
HOLLAND'S SHOE STORE
614 Felix
Circa 1921
BURKE-O'BRIEN SHOE STORE
614 Felix

Holland Shoe Store was advertising they were quitting business in December 1913
Photo #2 - 1913 Holland Shoe News Press advertisement
pHOTO #4 - 1890 The Fair St Joseph Gazette advertisement




Townsend & Wall1 Townsend & Wall2 Townsend & Wall3 Townsend & Wall4

Circa 1930
TOWNSEND-UEBERRHEIN CLOTHING COMPANY
6th & FELIX
TOWNSEND, WYATT & WALL DRY GOODS
5th & Felix

Began at 6th & Felix as Townsend-Ueberrhein Clothing
Townsend-Ueberrhein was listed in 1930 City Directory at 6th & Felix Streets
Later became Townsend, Wyatt & Wall Dry Goods
Townsend, Wyatt & Wall Dry Goods later relocated at 5th & Felix

Photo #1 - September 25,1893 fire in the top floor of Townsend & Ueberrhein store
Photo #2 - Townsend-Ueberrhein store
Photo #3 - Townsend-Ueberrhein advertisement
Photo #4 - Advertisement for both companies




1 2 3 4 5

LOOKING UP & DOWN 6th & FELIX

In photo #1, the Vogue store and the Corby Building is visible
In photo #2, the Kresege Building is on the near right side
Also in photo #2, the small one story building on the left side would later be replaced by the new United Department Store

Photo #1 - Looking westward on Felix from 7th Street
Photo #2 - 1918 View of Felix Street
Photo #3 - Early 1900's photo of 6th & Felix
Photo #4 - Early 1900's looking south at 6th & Felix
Photo #5 - 1928 photo looking west on Felix Street




1 2 3

Circa 1921-1936
BON MARCHE WOMENS SPECIALTY SHOP
6th & Felix

Specialty boot store for women
Photo #2 - Quitiing Business sale December 1936
Photo #3 - Quitiing Business sale December 1936




1 2 3

Circa 1912
WACHTERS DRUG STORE
621 Felix
WACHTERS DRUG STORE
616 Felix

This was located directly across Felix from the Woolworth 5 and 10 cent store
Photo #3 1912 Wachters News Press advertisement




NORTH FELIX LISTINGS





Circa 1890's
REGNIER & SHOUP CROCKERY
110-112 North 5th
Moved to North 6th Street after 1893 fire

Regnier & Shoup Crockery was originally located at 110-112 North 5th Street
They moved to the east side of 6th Street between Edmond and Felix

At the south it adjoined Townsend and Wall Dry Goods Company, where the worst fire in St Joseph history at the time started on the 5th floor. The fire leveled both stores and also gutted the Empire Trust Company building on September 25, 1893

The fire did nearly one million dollars in damage including many nearby businesses

Regnier & Shoup's account books were saved and the firm returned to the location at 110-112 North 5th which the company had moved from the previous year




Circa 1907
BLOCK BROTHERS
104 North 6th Street
Circa 1908
BLOCK BROTHERS
104 North 6th Street

Block Brothers were at 104 North 6th for 2 years




1 2

Circa 1909
NIC KUEHN FURRIERS
118 North 6th Street

Photo #1 - 1909 Nic Kuehn News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - Artcrafts Engraving photo






Circa 1930
COLLEGE HILL CLEANERS
215 North 6th Street

Photo - 1930 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1940
WACHTERS DRUG STORE
307 North 6th Street

Photo - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Circa 1919/remodeled 1940
F. W. WOOLWORTH 5 & 10 STORE
613-619 Felix
Circa 1930
PENNANT CAFETERIA (2nd Floor)
619½ Felix

Built as a Woolworth store, and remodeled in 1940 by the same company. The changes are now considered historic and are reflective of the company's program of updating its buildings.
Kresge & Woolworth were often refered to as the "dime stores" because they had many items that could be purchased for 5 or 10 cents
The Pennant Cafeteria resided above the store on the 2nd floor

Photo #1 - Woolworth re-opening the new store, note clothes & dirt streets
Photo #2 - Notice the dirt streets & buggies
Photo #3 - The front windows of Woolworth in 1919
Photo #4 - Woolworth Lunch counter - taken 1937
Photo #5 - Woolworth Menu
Photo #6 - Woolworth re-opening the new store, note clothes & dirt streets
Photo #7 - Pennant Cafeteria advertisement
Photo #8 - Pennant Cafeteria
Photo #9 - Pennant Cafeteria advertisement
Photo #10 - Circa 1950 Pennant advertisement
Photo #11 - Circa 1940 Woolworth fire
Photo #12 - Pennant advertisement in News-Press May 1st 1940
Photo #13 - 1909 Photo od Woolworth




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Circa 1928
NANN & COMPANY
First In Fashion
618 Felix
Circa 1930
NANN BEAUTY SHOPPE
618 Felix
Circa 1930
THE PARIS
618 Felix

Ladie's apparel store
MOSAIC (Heartland Hospital) purchased the 2 buildings at 618 & 620 Felix, The Paris and Zales Jewelry
The 2 buildings have been razed for creation of a 2 car Mosaic parking lot and trash service
PARIS & ZALES WERE RAZED IN 2015 BY MOSAIC
Photo #7 - 1959 St Joseph News Press advertisement






BREAD BOARD DELI
619 Felix

Stan and Pat Monach were the proprietors




1 2

RENDEZVOUS GRILL
619 Felix

Photo #2 - In 2015, a mural was painted onto the east side of the grill replacing an old mural




1 2 3 4

Circa 1930
NATIONAL CLOAK & DRESS COMPANY
620 Felix
Circa 1953
AMERICAN DIXIE SHOPS
620 Felix
Circa 1964
ZALES JEWELRY
620 Felix
PARIS & ZALES WERE RAZED IN 2015 BY MOSAIC

MOSAIC (Heartland Hospital) purchased the 2 buildings at 618 & 620 Felix, The Paris and Zales Jewelry
The 2 buildings have been razed for creation of a 2 car Mosaic parking lot and trash service



1 2

Circa 1909
HAMMAN'S DENTAL PARLORS
620½ Felix
Photo #2 - 1909 St Joseph News Press advertisement
MOSAIC (Heartland Hospital) purchased the 2 buildings at 618 & 620 Felix, The Paris and Zales Jewelry
The Zales building was located at 620 Felix



Derge1 Derge2 Derge3

Circa early 1900's
DERGE-BODENHAUSEN CLOTHING CO
621-623 Felix

The building no longer exists
The Rendevous Tavern and Beer Garden exists here
Photo #1 - Circa early 1900's
Photo #2 - 1920's St Joseph News-Press newspaper photo
Photo #3 - 1930 St Joseph Newspress advertisement




1 2 3 4

Circa 1957
NASH-RHODES
621-623 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Seller of fine men and women's apparel
Photo #4 - March 3, 1957 grand opening news press photo




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Circa 1889
GERMAN-AMERICAN BANK
622-626 Felix Street
Circa 1923
AMERICAN NATIONAL BANK
624 Felix Street
PONY EXPRESS COMMUNITY BANK
622-626 Felix Street
In late 2014 Mosiac (Heartland Hospital) purchased the building


The German-American Bank Building, now the First Federal Building, 624 Felix Street, St. Joseph, Missouri is a six story bank and office building designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style with added beaux arts detailing. It is rectangular in plan, with the ground floor above grade along its south facade and below grade along its north. The building borders a narrow alleyway on the south and abuts a jewelry store on the west
The German-American Bank building. Romanesque 6-story anchor building designed by Eckel and Mann, with design assistance by Harvey Ellis. Already individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
This beautiful bank is located on the southwest corner of 7th & Felix
It later became the American National Bank
It later became the Pony Express Community Bank
In late 2014, Mosiac (Heartland Hospital) purchased the building
Mosiac will be moving the employees currently located in the old Venture Store at 137 North Belt Highway to this building
Mosiac has also purchased the 2 adjacent buildings at 618 & 620 Felix, both will be razed to create an employee parking lot

Photo #1 - Felix Street Main entrance
Photo #2 - 7th Street Side entrance
Photo #3 - Spiral Fire Escape - isn't it neat?
Photo #4 - Originally was German American Bank
Photo #5 - 1889 Plaque
Photo #6 - Old photo of the bank with horse & buggy waiting outside
Photo #7 - 2012 photo
Photo #8 - 1912 German-American financial statement
Photo #9 - Photo of a 1940's photo of the bank
Photo #23 - 1918 American National Bank photo
Photo #24 - 1967 News Press Advertisement
Photo #25 - 1923 News Press Advertisement




6th & FRANCIS LISTINGS


FRANCIS STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1844
D. J. HEATON UNDERTAKER
6th & Francis

Mr. Heaton moved into the immediate area of the city and established a cabinet shop/funeral home on First Street. Through the years, it moved and expanded in several locations to meet the city's needs. In 1844, the business moved to the corner of Sixth and Francis Streets and remained there until 1859, when it was destroyed by fire.







Circa 1914
HEYMAN'S GROCERY
6th & Francis Streets

Photo - 1914 St Joseph News Press advertisement







LOOKING WEST AT 6th & FRANCIS STREET

Old photo of Francis Street looking west from 6th & Francis Street
The Tootle-Lemon bank is visible on the right





1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1929
KATZ DRUG STORE
Southwest Corner of 6th & Francis

There were 4 Katz Drug Stores in St Joseph
Opened in 1929 - Southwest corner of 6th & Francis
Opened in 1946 - Southwest corner of 6th & Edmond
Opened in 1963 - Northeast corner of 6th & Francis
Opened in 1965 - East Hills Shopping Center at Belt & Frederick
In 1963, the St Francis Hotel was torn down
This Katz was built where the hotel once stood
This downtown Katz later became an OSCO Drug Store
In 1965, Katz opened a new drug store at East Hills Shopping Center
Photo #1 - Only front photo of this Katz I can locate
Photo #2 - A concoction of various Katz advertisements
Photo #3 - Osco Drug can be seen in the background
Photo #4 - 1931 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #5 - 1969 James Grimes & brother Ben parked north side of Katz

Photo #1 - Rare photo of the Katz store & cafeteria on the northeast corner at 6th & Francis
Photo #2 - History of St Joseph Katz Drug stores using newspaper clippings
Photo #3 - Osco Drugs is seen in the background - Tootle-Lemon bank in foreground





FRANCIS BETWEEN 6th & 7th STREETS



Lee's Record Shop1 Lee's Record Shop2 Lee's Record Shop3 Lee's Record Shop4 Lee's Record Shop5 Lee's Record Shop6 Lee's Record Shop7 Lee's Record Shop8 Lee's Record Shop9 Lee's Record Shop10

Circa 1899
FRED HENZE CIGAR COMPANY
601 Francis
Circa 1940's
LEE's RECORD & RADIO SHOP
601 Francis
Circa 1960's
LEE's RECORD & RADIO SHOP
516 Francis

In the 1940's Lee's Record Shop was located at 601 Francis
It was later torn down, replaced with a new Katz Drug Store
Lee's Record Shop was moved to 516 Francis Street
It was the favorite record shop of the teenagers
This place was always packed with customers
You could buy the top hits on 45s for $1
Al and Irene Rothstein, owned Lee's Record and Radio shop


Photo #1 - 516 Francis Lee's Record Shop
Photo #2 - 516 Francis Lee's Record Shop
Photo #3 - Al Rothstein, the owner of Lee's Record Shop
Photo #4 - Display in one of the shops
Photo #5 - 516 Francis advertisement
Photo #6 - 601 Francis shop in 1940's
Photo #7 - Krug Park bus stopped & loading passengers at 601 Francis shop in 1950's
Photo #8 - 1953 Lees Record Shop 601 Francis
Photo #9 - 1899 Advertisement for Fred Henze cigars
Photo #10 - 1960 Lees Record Shop 601 Francis advertisement
Photos 1-4 were donated by their daughter, Carol Rothstein




Townsend & Wall1 Townsend & Wall2 7th Felix3 Townsend & Wall4 Townsend & Wall5 Townsend & Wall6 Townsend & Wall7 Townsend & Wall8 Townsend & Wall9

Circa 1866
TOWNSEND & LOWELL
403 Felix Street
Circa 1868
TOWNSEND & WOOD
319 Felix Street
BAILEY-TOWNSEND DRY GOODS COMPANY
319 Felix Street
Circa 1879
TOWNSEND, WYATT & COMPANY
319 Felix Street
Circa 1890
TOWNSEND, WYATT & EMERY DRY GOODS CO.
6th & Edmond Street
Circa 1914
TOWNSEND, WYATT & WALL COMPANY
602 Francis
TOWNSEND & WALL DEPARTMENT STORE
602 Francis

John Townsend was born in Illinois and moved his family to St Joseph
He started his career as a clerk in the store of John and Isaac Curd on Main street
In November 1866, John Townsend formed a partnership with Preston Lowell and opened his first store
Mr Townsend's first store was at 403 Felix street under the firm name of Townsend & Lowell
After Lowell left the company in 1868 and the store went under a new name of Townsend & Wood
The store was then moved to 319 Felix street
Mr. Townsend has ever since been continuously and successfully engaged in the same line of business, but under different firm names
The first change he made placed him at the head of the firm of Townsend & Wood
The name was later changed to the Bailey-Townsend Dry Goods Company
In 1879 it became Townsend, Wyatt & Co. after he took on new partners J. Cavan Wyatt and John D. Richardson, Jr
In 1890 it joined with Emery Dry Goods Co. under the name of Townsend, Wyatt & Emery Dry Goods Co
Wyatt died in 1911. In 1914, the name was again changed to Townsend, Wyatt and Wall to accommodate the addition of Thomas R. Wall
The Townsend, Wyatt and Wall building was located at Sixth and Edmond and was destroyed by fire in September, 1893
The building was rebuilt as Townsend & Wall Department Store at 602 Francis Street and it was the principal department store in downtown St. Joseph until 1983
It is listed as a contributing building to the St. Joseph Commerce and Banking Historic District which is on the National Register of Historic Places
It is also a prominent building in the Historic Retail District Felix Street Corridor in the master plan for St. Joseph
In 1963, it was owned & operated by Thomas Wall, Jr
T& W had five floors and a bargain basement where the more "affordable" clothes were sold
The store was filled with top quality merchandise. Custom drapes, carpet, furniture, clothing, jewelry, kitchen items, everything imaginable for the home
It had a great snack bar of which was always very busy
Very large "T&W" were painted on the elevator doors using real gold paint. After closing in 1983, the store sat empty for many years until Walter Boschen redesigned the building and it is currently an apartment building

Photo #1 - Townsend & Wall
Photo #2 - Bus picking up passengers at 6th Street door
Photo #3 - Townsend & Wall
Photo #4 - Old advertisement
Photo #5 - The elevators
Photo #6 - The Basement Store advertisement
Photo #7 - Townsend, Wyatt & Wall Dry Goods Company bronze plaque on the building
Photo #8 - Looking east down Francis Street from 6th St
Photo #9 - 1930 City Directory advertisement





ST FRANCIS BARBER SHOP
603 Francis

The barber shop was located inside the St Francis hotel lobby




6th Francis1 6th Francis2 St Francis Hotel3 St Francis Hotel4 St Francis Hotel5 St Francis Hotel6

ST FRANCIS HOTEL
605 Francis

St Francis Hotel was originally located on the northeast corner of 6th & Francis, across the street from Townsend & Wall
It was torn down and a new Katz Drug Store was built in it's place
The Katz Drug Store later became Skaggs Drugs
Skaggs then moved to East Hills Shopping Center
I'm not sure what business is currently in the old Katz building
Skaggs closed their drug store at East Hills several years ago

Photo #1 - Very old photo of St Francis Hotel
Photo #2 - Postcard when St Francis Hotel was new
Photo #3 - Old Postcard showing hotel & lobby
Photo #4 - Circa 1915 The Dining Room
Photo #5 - Circa 1915 The Grill Room
Photo #6 - Circa 1953 Francis Street side of the hotel






WALDHOFF DRUGS
605 Francis
Demolished when St Francis Hotel was razed

This drug store was located inside the St Francis hotel in the 30's-40's






Circa 1934
ST FRANCIS HOTEL TAVERN
611-613 Francis
Demolished when St Francis Hotel was razed



1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1933
GENERAL DRUG & APPLIANCE COMPANY
614 Francis
Circa 1950
CITIZENS SAVINGS & LOAN
614 Francis
Circa 1970
CITIZENS SAVINGS & LOAN
614 Francis
Circa 1981
BELTONE HEARING AIDS
614 Francis




1 2 3 4


Circa 1912
McQUINN CLOTHING COMPANY
615-617 Francis
GREAT WESTERN PAINT COMPANY
615 Francis
Circa 1949
BAIER'S
615 Francis
Circa 1957
S & M ATHLETIC GOODS COMPANY
615 Francis




1 2

Circa 1924
WATSON'S
616 Francis
Cliff W. GEIS
616 Francis
Circa 1953
J. D. NASH
616 Francis

In 1953, this was a men's clothing store
Photo #1 - 1924 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1953 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2

Circa 1928
ELBELT JEWELRY COMPANY
617 Francis Street
Circa 1955
VEITCH & COMPANY MILLINERY SHOP
617 Francis Street

This was a milliner store
Hatmaking is the manufacture of hats and headwear
Millinery is the designing and manufacture of hats
A millinery shop is a store that sells those goods to make headwear
A milliner designs, makes, trims, or sells hats
Photo #2 - 1928 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1930
RAINEY SHOE COMPANY
618 Francis




1 2

Circa 1946
BENDER'S PRESCRIPTION SHOP
619 Francis

The photo is a prescription pill box




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Circa 1923
KIRKPATRICK BUILDING
620 Francis
Circa 1957
KINDER'S PRESCRIPTION SHOP
622 Francis
Circa 1981
THE CANDY SHOPPE
622 Francis
KIRKPATRICK JEWELRY
624 Francis

The Kirkpatrick building was originally located on the SW corner of 8th & Felix. The original building's address was 721 Felix
The new 4 story building at 612-626 Francis was designed by Walter Boschen in 1923
The upper floors were used by physcians, specialists and dentists
Kirkpatrick Jewelry and Kinder's Prescription Shop occupied the bottom floor. At one time, 9 businesses occupied the building
The building has beautiful ornate work

Photo #1 - Kirkpatrick Building - 7th & Francis
Photo #2 - Ornate stonework - 7th & Francis
Photo #3 - 1927 photo - 7th & Francis
Photo #4 - Present day photo - 7th & Francis
Photo #5 - 1900's photo at 8th & Felix - cop is wearing a Keystone type helmet
Photo #6 - 1949 newspaper photo of Kirkpatrick & Physicians buildings
Photo #7 - Kirkpatrick Building - Southwest corner at 7th & Francis
Photo #8 - 1992 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #9 - 1981 Candy Shoppe advertisement
Photo #11 - 1957 St Joseph News Press advertisement




Circa 1959
JEANETTE'S BEAUTY SHOP
621 Francis




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1873
STUPPY FLORAL COMPANY
625 Francis
Circa 1913
STUPPY FLORAL COMPANY
8th & Felix
STUPPY FLORAL COMPANY
South Belt Highway
North 169 Hwy & I-29
Circa 1991
VILLAGE FLOWERS by ROB
3841 Frederick Avenue

Stuppy Floral Co was founded in St. Joseph in 1873 by L. J. Stuppy
The business started as a hobby and diversion to L. J.'s principal occupation as a court reporter
He grew plants and flowers in his own greenhouses and sold them on a retail basis
As the growing operations were expanded and more greenhouses added, surplus product was sold to other retailers and the wholesale business was established
Wholesaling of fresh flowers soon became the principal business with shipments being made as far away as Texas and Oklahoma
L. J.'s two sons, Francis X. and John Stuppy joined the business and incorporated Stuppy Floral in 1903
In 1912, Stuppy's was still located at 625 Francis Street
Stuppy's moved from 625 Francis to the NW corner of 8th & Felix

The company continued to operate the greenhouses until 1978

They also had greenhouses at an unknown location on South Belt Highway

On their 100th anniversary, they moved to North 169 Highway & I-229

In 1983, Mr & Mrs Rob Houp purchased Stuppy Floral Company

The Houps renamed the company to Stuppy Flower & Gift Shop

In 1991, the Houps moved to their current location, 3841 Frederick Avenue, located in East Ridge Village (behind Perkins)


Photo #1 - 3841 Frederick advertisement
Photo #2 - 625 Francis - this building has been replaced
Photo #3 - Stuppy greenhouses
Photo #4 - 625 Francis - this building has been replaced
Photo #5 - 8th & Felix, Stuppy's sign and small part of the building is visible on the far left side
Photo #6 - 1906 Stuppy News Press advertisement



JULES STREET INTERSECTS





MUNICIPAL PARKING LOT
6th & Jules/Faraon to 7th & Jules/Faraon
Created during Urban Renewal

MUNICIPAL PARKING LOT
6th & Jules
6th & Faraon
One of the "safe" multi-level, million dollar parking lots. Located at 6th & Jules & 6th & Faraon, covering to 7th & Jules and 7th & Faraon Street



200 block of N 6th

NORTH 6th STREET
Between Francis & Jules
Circa: 1954

Back in the 1950's, these buildings were demolished to make room for the new 64 car parking lot for the St Francis Hotel

The St Francis hotel was located on the NE corner of 6th & Francis, across the street from Townsend & Wall

The St Francis hotel was later torn down and replaced with a large Katz Drug Store




NORTH 6th STREET LISTINGS





Circa 1893
NICOLETTE HOTEL
107 North 6th Street







Circa 1910
TILSON'S CONFECTIONARY
117 North 6th Street





1 2 3

Circa 1930
MILLER-CHEVROLET
218 North 6th Street
Circa 1939
MICHEL TIRE & BATTERY
218 North 6th Street







Circa 1953
LADY-B-LOVELY
216 North 6th Street
WILLARD HOTEL
216 ½ North 6th Street






MOORE'S GARAGE
316 North 6th Street




Circa 1959
GENEVA'S BEAUTY SHOPPE
318 North 6th Street






Circa 1960
St. Joseph Motors Building
725 North 6th Street

The St. Joseph Motors Building, 725 N. 6th, is a cement block structure built in i960 and "is inconsistant in period, style and use in the historic district. It falls under the "Grandfather Clause" in zoning and therefore is commerical rather than residential.




curtain2 grocery1 curtain grocery2 curtain grocery3

Circa 1933
HENRY CURTIN GROCERY
801 North 6th Street
VIVIAN'S DRESS SHOP
801 North 6th Street

This structure was built in 1933 as a grocery store for Henry P. Curtin who lived in an apartment at 601 Hall.
Photo #1 - 1950's photo
Photo #2 - 2011 photo submitted by Rodney Keyes





Elder Sanitarium1 2 3

Circa 1909
ELDERS SANITORIUM
701 North 6th Street
Circa 1910
ELDERS SANITORIUM
701 North 6th Street
ELDERS SANITARIUM
723 Main

The 6th Street building no longer exists, currently a large asphalt lot
The 723 Main address was consumed by Wire Rope



FARAON STREET INTERSECTS





APARTMENTS
414-422 North 6th Street





PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu