6thstreet
6th Street & Connecting Streets


Hier klicken
Search St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
NOTE: Does not work for DECEASED CLASSMATES

Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo




Circa 1860
MICHIGAN WAGON DEPOT
Unknown address






1937 LISTING OF 6TH STREET BUSINESSES



FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 6th STREET
NORTH 6th STREET BEGINS HERE



1 2 3

CHRISTMAS SEASON ON FELIX STREET

Downtown decorated during the season

Photo #1 - Circa 1940's Looking east from 5th & Felix
Photo #2 - Circa 1974 Looking west from 6th & Felix
Photo #3 - 5th Street decorations - note trolley rails




1 2

Circa 1910
OLNEY MUSIC COMPANY
6th & Felix

Photo #1 - 1910 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1919 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1911
LOOKING WEST ON FELIX ACROSS 6th STREET







Circa 1940's
LOOKING SOUTH ON 6th STREET AT FELIX

Photo submitted by Michael Miller






LOOKING WEST ON FELIX FROM 6th STREET





1 7th Felix2 7th Felix3 7th Felix4 5 7th Felix6 7 7th Felix8 5th Felix9 Mannshreck Book Store10 5th Felix11 5th Felix12 7th Felix13 14 15 5th Felix16 5th Felix17 5th Felix18 5th Felix19 5th Felix20 5th Felix21 5th Felix22 5th Felix23 5th Felix24 5th Felix25

FELIX STREET STORES
Between 5th & 7th

JC Penny can be seen in photo #1, it is the large building at the far right
A painted on Steinway Piano sign is near the top of the JC Penny building
In photos #2 & 3, Thom McCan Shoes, Everett Shoes, Steve Shoes, Joe Geller & Modeo Day are all getting ready to go out of business because of Urban Renewal
What a shame

Photo #1 - Scheduled for demolition
Photo #2 - Scheduled for demolition
Photo #3 - Scheduled for demolition
Photo #4 - 2005 North side of 7th & Felix
Photo #5 - Mannschreck's, now a tavern
Photo #6 - Joe Opticans on the corner
Photo #7 - The Paris & Zales Jewelry
Photo #8 - The Paris
Photo #9 - Einbenders
Photo #10 - Mannschreck's
Photo #11 - Mannschreck OLD ADV on 7th
Photo #12 - Steve's Shoes advertisement
Photo #13 - 2005 photo
Photo #14 - 2005 photo
Photo #15 - 2005 photo
Photo #16 - 2005 photo
Photo #17 - 2005 photo
Photo #18 - 2005 photo
Photo #19 - 2005 photo
Photo #20 - 2005 photo
Photo #21 - 2005 photo
Photo #22 - 2005 photo
Photo #23 - Joe Geller quitting business
Photo #24 - Everett Shoes new location
Photo #25 - Steve's Shoes business card




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Circa 1918
TOWNSEND-UEBERRHEIN
UNITED DEPARTMENT STORE
602-614 Felix

Neoclassical masonry commercial building designed by Eckel & Aldrich which served for many years as the Townsend-Ueberrhein Clothing Co.
Terra cotta detailing and other features virtually intact from historic period.
This was a large, multi-floor department store, some people considered it a 5 & 10 cent store
They had a large toy & clothing section in the basement
It could not compare with Kresge or Woolworth selections and pricing
They did have a nice jewelry counter with competitive pricing

Photo #1 - Circa: Nov 27,1917 Construction of the United Department Store
Photo #2 - 6th Street entrance
Photo #3 - 1950's busy street & sidewalks
Photo #4 - United Department Store
Photo #5 - View from 6th Street
Photo #6 - View from 6th & Felix
Photo #7 - Interior view of United Department Store
Photo #8 - Circa: 1930's, looking south on 6th from Felix, United & Mattingly on the left
Photo #9 - Circa 1919
Photo #10 - Circa 1918
Photo #11 - Circa 1918
Photo #12 - 1918 letter of explanation




JACOB SAFERSTEIN
United Department Store Optomotrist
602 Felix

The jewelry counter was located inside the United Department Store






Circa 1905
SINGER SEWING MACHINES
604 Felix

Photo - 1905 St Joseph News Press advertisement
TOWNSEND-UEBERRHEIN Dept Store occupied the address in 1918






Circa 1866
St Joseph Guaranty Title
624 Felix

Photo - 1967 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1941
Two Unknown girls
Between 6th & Felix and 6th & Francis

Circa 1941, 2 girls walking on the sidewalk between Townsend & Wall Deptartment Store and S.S. Kresge dime store






Circa 1899
KANSAS & TEXAS COAL COMPANY
6th & Lafayette




1 2 Kresege3 Kresge Five & Dime stores4 5 6  Five & Dime store7 Five & Dime stores8 Five & Dime stores9  Five & Dime store10  Five & Dime store11 12 13 14 15

S. S. KRESGE 5 & 10 STORE
601-609 Felix

Kresge & Woolworth were often refered to as the "dime stores" or "5 and 10 cent stores" because they had many items that could be purchased for 5 or 10 cents
Kresge's was the most popular of the dime stores as it was the largest
It had a great lunch counter with fabulous 15 cent limeades and you could keep the tall dark green glass. My grandmother must have had 50 of those things
Since it was on the corner, it was also easier to enter and exit via the side door

Photo #1 - Kresge's as it once stood
Photo #2 - Kresge's as it once stood
Photo #3 - Kresge's as it once stood
Photo #4 - The demolition of Kresge's & Woolworth
Photo #5 - The demolition of Kresge's & Woolworth
Photo #6 - Kresege Halloween advertisement
Photo #7 - Kresege's 1940 employees
Photo #8 - Kresge's & Woolworth's now empty lots
Photo #9 - Kresge's & Woolworth's now empty lots
Photo #10 - Kresge's & Woolworth's now empty lots
Photo #11 - Kresge's & Woolworth's now empty lots
Photo #12 - 1946 police ticketing jaywalkers
Photo #13 - Apple Blossum parade passes Kresge
Photo #14 - Kresge's closed just prior to razing
Photo #15 - Kresge's Soda Fountain





1 Leader2 Leader3 Leader4 Leader5 Leader6 Leader7

Circa 1890
LEADER DEPARTMENT STORE
605-611 Felix

Photo #1 - taken in 1890
Photo #2 - taken in 1900
Photo #3 - Early photo
Photo #4 - Early photo
Photo #5 - Circa 1923
Photo #6 - Early photo
Photo #7 - 1905 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1905
ENDERBROOK BROTHERS
612 Felix





Circa 1921
BURKE-O'BRIEN SHOE STORE
614 Felix





Townsend & Wall1 Townsend & Wall2 Townsend & Wall3 Townsend & Wall4

TOWNSEND-UEBERRHEIN CLOTHING
6th & FELIX
TOWNSEND, WYATT & WALL DRY GOODS
5th & Felix

Began at 6th & Felix as Townsend-Ueberrhein Clothing
Later became Townsend, Wyatt & Wall Dry Goods
Townsend, Wyatt & Wall Dry Goods later relocated at 5th & Felix

Photo #1 - September 25,1893 fire in the top floor of Townsend & Ueberrhein store
Photo #2 - Townsend-Ueberrhein store
Photo #3 - Townsend-Ueberrhein advertisement
Photo #4 - Advertisement for both companies




1 2 3 4 5

LOOKING UP & DOWN 6th & FELIX

In photo #1, the Vogue store and the Corby Building is visible
In photo #2, the Kresege Building is on the near right side
Also in photo #2, the small one story building on the left side would later be replaced by the new United Department Store

Photo #1 - Looking westward on Felix from 7th Street
Photo #2 - 1918 View of Felix Street
Photo #3 - Early 1900's photo of 6th & Felix
Photo #4 - Early 1900's looking south at 6th & Felix
Photo #5 - 1928 photo looking west on Felix Street






Circa 1921
BON MARCHE BOOT SHOP
6th & Felix

Specialty boot store for women




1 2

WACHTERS DRUG STORE
616 Felix

This was located directly across Felix from the Woolworth 5 and 10 cent store
Known to be in business in March 1915






Circa 1940
WACHTERS DRUG STORE
307 North 6th Street

Photo - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Circa 1919/remodeled 1940
F. W. WOOLWORTH 5 & 10 STORE
615-619 Felix
PENNANT CAFETERIA (2nd Floor)
617½ Felix

Built as a Woolworth store, and remodeled in 1940 by the same company. The changes are now considered historic and are reflective of the company's program of updating its buildings.
Kresge & Woolworth were often refered to as the "dime stores" because they had many items that could be purchased for 5 or 10 cents
The Pennant Cafeteria resided above the store on the 2nd floor

Photo #1 - Woolworth re-opening the new store, note clothes & dirt streets
Photo #2 - Notice the dirt streets & buggies
Photo #3 - The front windows of Woolworth in 1919
Photo #4 - Woolworth Lunch counter - taken 1937
Photo #5 - Woolworth Menu
Photo #6 - Woolworth re-opening the new store, note clothes & dirt streets
Photo #7 - Pennant Cafeteria advertisement
Photo #8 - Pennant Cafeteria
Photo #9 - Pennant Cafeteria advertisement
Photo #10 - Circa 1950 Pennant advertisement
Photo #11 - Circa 1940 Woolworth fire
Photo #12 - Pennant advertisement in News-Press May 1st 1940
Photo #13 - 1909 Photo od Woolworth




1 2 3 4 5 6

THE PARIS
618 Felix

Ladie's apparel store
MOSAIC (Heartland Hospital) has purchased the buildings at 618 & 620 Felix, The Paris and Zales Jewelry
The 2 buildings have been razed for creation of an employee parking lot






BREAD BOARD DELI
619 Felix

Stan and Pat Monach were the proprietors




1 2

RENDEZVOUS GRILL
619 Felix

Photo #2 - In 2015, a mural was painted onto the east side of the grill replacing an old mural






AMERICAN DIXIE SHOPS
ZALES JEWELRY
620 Felix

Ladie's wear store
MOSAIC (Heartland Hospital) has purchased the buildings at 618 & 620 Felix
They are scheduled to be razed for creation of an employess parking lot




Derge1 Derge2

DERGE-BODENHAUSEN CLOTHING CO
621-623 Felix

Photo #1 - Early 1900's - check out the dress on the lady on right side of photo
Photo #2 - St Joseph News-Press newspaper photo, circa 1920's
The building no longer exists, it had been replaced




1 2 3

NASH-RHODES
621-623 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Seller of fine men and women's apparel




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Circa 1887
GERMAN-AMERICAN BANK
AMERICAN NATIONAL BANK
PONY EXPRESS COMMUNITY BANK
622-626 Felix Street

The German-American Bank building. Romanesque 6-story anchor building designed by Eckel and Mann, with design assistance by Harvey Ellis. Already individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
This beautiful bank is located on the southwest corner of 7th & Felix
It later became the American National Bank
It later became the Pony Express Community Bank
In late 2014, Mosiac (Heartland Hospital) purchased the building
Mosiac will be moving the employees currently located in the old Venture Store at 137 North Belt Highway to this building
Mosiac has also purchased the 2 adjacent buildings at 618 & 620 Felix, both will be razed to create an employee parking lot

Photo #1 - Felix Street Main entrance
Photo #2 - 7th Street Side entrance
Photo #3 - Spiral Fire Escape - isn't it neat?
Photo #4 - Originally was German American Bank
Photo #5 - 1889 Plaque
Photo #6 - Old photo of the bank with horse & buggy waiting outside
Photo #7 - 2012 photo
Photo #8 - 1912 German-American financial statement
Photo #9 - Photo of a 1940's photo of the bank
Photo #23 - 1918 American National Bank photo
Photo #24 - 1967 News Press Advertisement



FRANCIS STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1844
D. J. HEATON UNDERTAKER
6th & Francis

Mr. Heaton moved into the immediate area of the city and established a cabinet shop/funeral home on First Street. Through the years, it moved and expanded in several locations to meet the city's needs. In 1844, the business moved to the corner of Sixth and Francis Streets and remained there until 1859, when it was destroyed by fire.






LOOKING WEST AT 6th & FRANCIS STREET

Old photo of Francis Street looking west from 6th & Francis Street
The Tootle-Lemon bank is visible on the right




1 2 3

KATZ DRUG STORE
6th & Francis

There were 4 Katz Drug Stores in St Joseph
Opened in 1929 - Southwest corner of 6th & Francis
Opened in 1946 - Southwest corner of 6th & Edmond
Opened in 1963 - Northeast corner of 6th & Francis
Opened in 1965 - East Hills Shopping Center at Belt & Frederick

In 1963, the St Francis Hotel was torn down and Katz built a new store in it's place
This downtown Katz later became an OSCO Drug Store
In 1965, Katz opened a new drug store at East Hills Shopping Center

Photo #1 - Rare photo of the Katz store & cafeteria on the northeast corner at 6th & Francis
Photo #2 - History of St Joseph Katz Drug stores using newspaper clippings
Photo #3 - Osco Drugs is seen in the background - Tootle-Lemon bank in foreground




Lee's Record Shop1 Lee's Record Shop2 Lee's Record Shop3 Lee's Record Shop4 Lee's Record Shop5 Lee's Record Shop6 Lee's Record Shop7 Lee's Record Shop8 Lee's Record Shop9 Lee's Record Shop10

Circa 1899
FRED HENZE CIGAR COMPANY
Circa 1940's
LEE's RECORD & RADIO SHOP
601 Francis
Circa 1960's
LEE's RECORD & RADIO SHOP
516 Francis

In the 1940's Lee's Record Shop was located at 601 Francis
It was later torn down, replaced with a new Katz Drug Store
Lee's Record Shop was moved to 516 Francis Street
It was the favorite record shop of the teenagers
This place was always packed with customers
You could buy the top hits on 45s for $1
Al and Irene Rothstein, owned Lee's Record and Radio shop

Photo #1 - 516 Francis Lee's Record Shop
Photo #2 - 516 Francis Lee's Record Shop
Photo #3 - Al Rothstein, the owner of Lee's Record Shop
Photo #4 - Display in one of the shops
Photo #5 - 516 Francis advertisement
Photo #6 - 601 Francis shop in 1940's
Photo #7 - Krug Park bus stopped & loading passengers at 601 Francis shop in 1950's
Photo #8 - 1953 Lees Record Shop 601 Francis
Photo #9 - 1899 Advertisement for Fred Henze cigars
Photo #10 - 1960 Lees Record Shop 601 Francis advertisement
Photos 1-4 were donated by their daughter, Carol Rothstein




Townsend & Wall1 Townsend & Wall2 7th Felix3 Townsend & Wall4 Townsend & Wall5 Townsend & Wall6 Townsend & Wall7 Townsend & Wall8

Circa 1909
TOWNSEND, WYATT & WALL DEPT. STORE
TOWNSEND & WALL DEPARTMENT STORE
602 Francis

Townsend & Wall at 602 Francis Street was the principal department store in downtown St. Joseph from 1866 to 1983

It is listed as a contributing building to the St. Joseph Commerce and Banking Historic District which is on the National Register of Historic Places

It is also a prominent building in the Historic Retail District Felix Street Corridor in the master plan for St. Joseph

The store was founded in 1866 by John Townsend, who was born in Illinois, started his career as a clerk in the store of John and Isaac Curd on Main street in St Joseph

The first store was at 403 Felix street under the firm name of Townsend & Lowell

After Lowell retired in 1868 the store under the new name Townsend & Wood the store moved to 319 Felix street

In 1879 it became Townsend, Wyatt & Co. after he took on new partners J. Cavan Wyatt and John D. Richardson, Jr.

In 1890 it joined with Emery Dry Goods Co. under the name of Townsend, Wyatt & Emery Dry Goods Co. and was at Sixth and Edmond. It was destroyed by fire in September, 1893

Mr Wyatt died in 1911. In 1914, the name was again changed to Townsend, Wyatt and Wall to accommodate the addition of Thomas R. Wall

In 1963, it was owned & operated by Thomas Wall, Jr

T& W had five floors and a bargain basement where the more "affordable" clothes were sold

The store was filled with top quality merchandise. Custom drapes, carpet, furniture, clothing, jewelry, kitchen items, everything imaginable for the home

It had a great snack bar of which was always very busy

Very large "T&W" were painted on the elevator doors using real gold paint

The store sat empty for many years until Walter Boschen redesigned the building and it is currently an apartment building

Photo #1 - Townsend & Wall
Photo #2 - Bus picking up passengers at 6th Street door
Photo #3 - Townsend & Wall
Photo #4 - Old advertisement
Photo #5 - The elevators
Photo #6 - The Basement Store advertisement
Photo #7 - Townsend, Wyatt & Wall Dry Goods Company bronze plaque on the building
Photo #8 - Looking east down Francis Street from 6th St





ST FRANCIS BARBER SHOP
603 Francis

The barber shop was located inside the St Francis hotel lobby




6th Francis1 6th Francis2 St Francis Hotel3 St Francis Hotel4 St Francis Hotel5 St Francis Hotel6

ST FRANCIS HOTEL
605 Francis

St Francis Hotel was originally located on the northeast corner of 6th & Francis, across the street from Townsend & Wall
It was torn down and a new Katz Drug Store was built in it's place
The Katz Drug Store later became Skaggs Drugs
Skaggs then moved to East Hills Shopping Center
I'm not sure what business is currently in the old Katz building
Skaggs closed their drug store at East Hills several years ago

Photo #1 - Very old photo of St Francis Hotel
Photo #2 - Postcard when St Francis Hotel was new
Photo #3 - Old Postcard showing hotel & lobby
Photo #4 - Circa 1915 The Dining Room
Photo #5 - Circa 1915 The Grill Room
Photo #6 - Circa 1953 Francis Street side of the hotel






WALDHOFF DRUGS
605 Francis

This drug store was located inside the St Francis hotel in the 30's-40's




ST FRANCIS TAVERN
611-613 Francis






Circa 1953
CITIZENS SAVINGS & LOAN
614 Francis







GREAT WESTERN PAINT COMPANY
615 Francis




J & V NASH
616 Francis

This was a men's clothing store






VEITCH & COMPANY
617 Francis

This was a milliner store
Hatmaking is the manufacture of hats and headwear
Millinery is the designing and manufacture of hats
A millinery shop is a store that sells those goods to make headwear
A milliner designs, makes, trims, or sells hats






Circa 1930
RAINEY SHOE COMPANY
618 Francis




1 2

BENDER'S PRESCRIPTION SHOP
619 Francis

The photo is a prescription pill box




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1923
KIRKPATRICK BUILDING
612-626 Francis
KINDER'S PRESCRIPTION SHOP
622 Francis
KIRKPATRICK JEWELRY
624 Francis

The Kirkpatrick building was originally located on the SW corner of 8th & Felix

The new 4 story building at 612 Francis was designed by Walter Boschen in 1923

The upper floors were used by physcians, specialists and dentists

Kirkpatrick Jewelry and Kinder's Prescription Shop occupied the bottom floor

At one time 9 businesses occupied the building

The building has beautiful ornate work

Photo #1 - Kirkpatrick Building - 7th & Francis
Photo #2 - Ornate stonework - 7th & Francis
Photo #3 - 1927 photo - 7th & Francis
Photo #4 - Present day photo - 7th & Francis
Photo #5 - 1900's photo at 8th & Felix - cop is wearing a Keystone type helmet
Photo #6 - 1949 newspaper photo of Kirkpatrick & Physicians buildings
Photo #7 - Kirkpatrick Building - Southwest corner at 7th & Francis




JEANETTE BEAUTY SHOP
621 Francis




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1873
STUPPY FLORAL COMPANY
625 Francis
8th & Felix
South Belt Highway
North 169 Hwy & I-29
Circa 1991
VILLAGE FLOWERS by ROB
3841 Frederick Avenue

Stuppy Floral Co was founded in St. Joseph in 1873 by L. J. Stuppy

The business started as a hobby and diversion to L. J.'s principal occupation as a court reporter

He grew plants and flowers in his own greenhouses and sold them on a retail basis

As the growing operations were expanded and more greenhouses added, surplus product was sold to other retailers and the wholesale business was established

Wholesaling of fresh flowers soon became the principal business with shipments being made as far away as Texas and Oklahoma

L. J.'s two sons, Francis X. and John Stuppy joined the business and incorporated Stuppy Floral in 1903

Stuppy's moved from 625 Francis to the NW corner of 8th & Felix

The company continued to operate the greenhouses until 1978

They also had greenhouses at an unknown location on South Belt Highway

On their 100th anniversary, they moved to North 169 Highway & I-229

In 1983, Mr & Mrs Rob Houp purchased Stuppy Floral Company

The Houps renamed the company to Stuppy Flower & Gift Shop

In 1991, the Houps moved to their current location, 3841 Frederick Avenue, located in East Ridge Village (behind Perkins)


Photo #1 - 3841 Frederick advertisement
Photo #2 - 625 Francis - this building has been replaced
Photo #3 - Stuppy greenhouses
Photo #4 - 625 Francis - this building has been replaced
Photo #5 - 8th & Felix, Stuppy's sign and small part of the building is visible on the far left side



JULES STREET INTERSECTS





MUNICIPAL PARKING LOT
6th & Jules/Faraon to 7th & Jules/Faraon
Created during Urban Renewal

MUNICIPAL PARKING LOT
6th & Jules
6th & Faraon
One of the "safe" multi-level, million dollar parking lots. Located at 6th & Jules & 6th & Faraon, covering to 7th & Jules and 7th & Faraon Street



200 block of N 6th

NORTH 6th STREET
Between Francis & Jules
Circa: 1954

Back in the 1950's, these buildings were demolished to make room for the new 64 car parking lot for the St Francis Hotel

The St Francis hotel was located on the NE corner of 6th & Francis, across the street from Townsend & Wall

The St Francis hotel was later torn down and replaced with a large Katz Drug Store






Circa 1893
NICOLETTE HOTEL
107 North 6th Street







Circa 1910
TILSON'S CONFECTIONARY
117 North 6th Street





1 2 3

Circa 1930
MILLER-CHEVROLET
Circa 1939
MICHEL TIRE & BATTERY
218 North 6th Street





WILLARD HOTEL
216 North 6th Street






MOORE'S GARAGE
316 North 6th Street



FARAON STREET INTERSECTS





APARTMENTS
414-422 North 6th Street



FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH & SOUTH 6th STREET
SOUTH 6TH STREET BEGINS HERE





AERIAL VIEW OF SOUTH 6th STREET






SOUTH 6th STREET
Circa: horse & buggy days



Weigel Furniture & Carpet1 Weigel Furniture & Carpet2 Weigel Furniture & Carpet3 Weigel Furniture & Carpet4

Circa 1917
WEIGEL FURNITURE & CARPET
107-111 South 6th

In later years, this became Mattingly's 5 & 10 Store
Photo #4 - 1920 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 Weigel Furniture & Carpet6

Circa 1959
MATTINGLY 5 & 10 STORE
107-111 South 6th

This was originally Weigel Furniture and Carpet

Historic Downtown St Joseph used to have three 5 & 10 cent stores

Actually there were 4 if you counted United Department Store as one

Mattingly's was located at 107-111 South 6th, between Edmond & Felix Streets
Mattingly's had their grand opening the week of March 5th,1959
For several years while empty, it was used as a Halloween haunted house
The building is currently unoccupied

Photo #1 - The building in which once housed Mattingly's
Photo #2 - Downtown Mattingly advertisement
Photo #3 - Mattingly building with Eshelman's in the background
Photo #4 - Circa 2013 with the Eshelman's building gone
Photo #5 - March 5, 1959 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #6 - The building in which once housed Mattingly's







Circa 1890's
REGNIER & SHOUP CROCKERY
110-112 North 5th
South 6th Street
110-112 North 5th

Regnier & Shoup Crockery was originally located at 110-112 North 5th Street
They moved to the east side of 6th Street between Edmond and Felix

At the south it adjoined Townsend and Wall Dry Goods Company, where the worst fire in St Joseph history at the time started on the 5th floor. The fire leveled both stores and also gutted the Empire Trust Company building on September 25, 1893

The fire did nearly one million dollars in damage including many nearby businesses

Regnier & Shoup's account books were saved and the firm returned to the location at 110-112 North 5th which the company had moved from the previous year






Circa 1910
EMPIRE TRUST COMPANY
116 South 6th Street

Photo - 1910 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1954
STEFFEN'S BOOK STORE
114-116 South 6th Street

Photo is a 1954 newspaper advertisement

Other than owning this bookstore, Mr Steffens was the Spring Garden Principal
He was my 7th & 8th grade teacher at Spring Garden School in 1957 & 1958




1 2

Circa 1919
HOYLE & RARICK CLOTHING COMPANY
Circa 1895
ESHELMAN'S MUSIC HOUSE
117 South 6th

Photo #1 - 1919 News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1967 News Press advertisement




1 2

Circa 1955
RECREATION CLUB BOWLING ALLEY
119½ South 6th

Their bowling pin sign was mounted on the Herman Drug Store building at the corner of 6th & Edmond
The building was razed in 2014 leaving an empty lot





Circa 1906
LYRIC SILENT MOVIE THEATER
119-121 South 6th


Grand Opening: September 2,1906
Frank De Atley Manager
St Joseph's popular family resort
The Curtis Musical CO.
Opening Play: A Ten Thousand Dollar Beauty
Admission:10c 15c and 25c
All week day Matinees 10c
Newspaper Adv: Get In Line And Follow The Crowd To The Lyric
Data donated by Terry Plumb






Circa 1889
EMERY DRY GOODS
123 South 6th

In 1890 Townsend & Wall joined with Emery Dry Goods Company under the name of Townsend, Wyatt & Emery Dry Goods Company
It was destroyed by fire in September, 1893
Emery Department House in 1889 was located on the corner of 6th and Edmond
The Eshelman building was built on the site the following year



>
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

ESHELMAN MUSIC HOUSE
Em CHAMAS BRAZILIAN GRILL
GROUND ROUND RESTAURANT
123 South 6th

Eshelman's Music was located on 6th Street, between Edmond and Felix
After the Herman Drug Store burned in the 1960's, the Eshelman building was remodeled and it was extended to Edmond Street
We used to come here to listen to and buy the latest music records in the 50's & 60's
Eshelman's sold all types of musical instruments, records and sheet music

Numerous businesses had occupied the building since Eshelmans closed
In 2009, the building had been empty for many years when it caught fire and was damaged quite extensively
Em Chamas Brazilian Grill purchased the structure, totally remodeled it and was open for business in July 2010
With the remodeling, it was now a beautiful building inside and out
Em Chamas Brazilian Grill closed, hoping to move to the old Herman Drug building at 7th & Edmond
The Em Chamas move has not happened yet due to financial problems

The Ground Round restaurant moved from it's East Hills location to this building in 2013
Since the move downtown, the Ground Round's business has considerably increased

The brick building on the north side had extensive fire damage & has been removed, an empty lot remains

There was a parking lot across the street that was created during Urban Renewal in the 1970's. It was a pain to enter and exit, in short, it was a mess
In 2013, the city totally renuvated the parking lot, a major improvement

Photo #1 - Artist drawing of Eshelman's
Photo #2 - Photo prior to Eshelman closing
Photo #3 - another business occupied it
Photo #4 - Mattingly & Eshelman buildings
Photo #5 - Eshelman's remodeled building
Photo #6 - Eshelman's remodeled building
Photo #7 - 2009 fire photo
Photo #8 - 2009 fire photo
Photo #9 - Damage of 2009 fire
Photo #10 - Damage of 2009 fire
Photo #11 - New Ground Round March 2013
Photo #12 - 1957 Eshelman advertisement
Photo #13 - Em Chamas
Photo #14 - Fire damage on north side
Photo #15 - Harold Jeschke retires
Photo #11 was donated by Marcia Hayes



EDMOND STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1899
PIMBLEY PAINT & GLASS COMPANY
213 South 6th Street

Circa 1899






Circa 1899
HARDMAN ENGRAVING COMPANY
224 South 6th Street

Circa 1899






Circa 1866
LOOKING EAST FROM 6th & EDMOND

1866 St Joseph News-Press photo of Edmond Street looking east from 6th Street






Circa 1889
LOOKING NORTH FROM 6th & EDMOND







Circa 1889
LOOKING SOUTH ON 6th







Circa 2016
LOOKING WEST FROM 6th & EDMOND





1

Circa 1940's
LOOKING EAST ON EDMOND

Looking east down Edmond Street, Missouri Theater is in the next block
Circa: early 1940's
Photo sumbitted by Michael Miller




Katz drug store1 2 Katz drug store3 Katz drug store4 Katz drug store5 Katz drug store6 Katz drug store7 Katz drug store8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20


Circa 1939
KENNEDY PURE FOOD MART
Circa 1946
KATZ DRUG STORE
FABRIC OUTLET
528 Edmond Street

In 1939, Kennedy Food Mart opened in this building

In 1946, Katz Drug store opened for business in this building

This old Katz Drug Store on the southwest corner of 6th & Edmond is still standing

It is currently occupied by some kind of flea market or antique shop


Photo #1 - 1939 Opening of Kennedy Pure Food Mart
Photo #2 - Kennedy Pure Food Mart
Photo #3 - It later became Katz Drug Store
Photo #4 - After Katz pulled out, it became a Fabric Store
Photo #5 - Looking south at 6th & Edmond
Photo #6 - Advertisement for the 6th & Francis Katz
Photo #7 - Katz advertisement
Photo #8 - A Katz paper sack
Photo #9 - A Katz paper sack
Photo #10 - Katz adv for their 2 downtown stores
Photo #11 - Kennedy Food Mart Advertisement
Photo #12 - Advertisements of a new Katz Drug Store
Photo #13 - Katz decanter of Jim Beam whiskey
Photo #14 - Katz Fountain & Luncheon Menu (Front cover)
Photo #15 - Katz Ice Cream Menu
Photo #16 - Katz Sandwich Menu
Photo #17 - 2013 photo
Photo #18 - Old photo of Kennedy Grocery
Photo #19 - 2016 residing of the Katz building
Photo #20 - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement






LOOKING SOUTH FROM 6th & EDMOND
Circa 40's or 50's

Looking south from Edmond Street towards Charles Street
Circa: Late 40's or early 50's






LOOKING NORTH FROM 6th & CHARLES






Circa 1940
LIEBLING & HERMAN FURNITURE COMPANY
NW Corner 6th & Charles






Circa 1930's
LOOKING NORTH FROM 6th & EDMOND

Looking north from 6th & Edmond
At the bottom right is Jones Drugs, which later will become Herman Drugs
Further up on the right side Eshelmans is visible
The street appears to be a brick street




1 2 3 Maidrite4 Maidrite5

Circa 1930's
NICK'S DRY CLEANERS
212 South 5th
615 Edmond

In the 1930's, Nick's Cleaners was located at 212 South 5th, just north of Western Dairy
Nick's Cleaners last location was between 6th & 7th on the north side of Edmond
The Edmond Street location is now a parking lot
In the 1960's & 70's, Nick's Cleaners was owned by the Zaroor family
I do not know why the building was razed

Photo #1 - Nick's Cleaners was located at 615 Edmond street
Photo #2 - Nick's Cleaners 212 South 5th advertisement
Photo #3 - The Edmond Street empty lot where Nick's Cleaners existed
Photo #4 - Nick's Cleaners sign is visible in this photo
Photo #5 - Looking west on Edmond, Nick's can be seen on the right
Photo #1 donated by Dave Sietzen




1 2 First Bank of Missouri3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

COMMERCIAL BANK
Circa 1900
AMERICAN EXCHANGE BANK
Circa 1915
EMPIRE TRUST COMPANY
Circa 1977
FIRST BANK OF MISSOURI
602 Edmond

First Bank of Missouri is currently located on the Southeast corner of 6th & Edmond. This replaced Empire Trust Co. which had merged with Tootle which had merged with American to form the predecessor of Merchantile Bank
In 1916, William Fairleigh Enright was Treasurer of the Empire Trust Company
In April 1976, the Empire Trust Company was razed
The historic Empire Trust clock has been reinstalled on another bank

Photo #1 - 1971 Empire Trust Company fire
Photo #2 - Empire Trust Co advertisement
Photo #3 - First Bank of Missouri
Photo #4 - Early Commercial Bank drawing, later to become Empire Trust Company
Photo #5 - City bus unloading at 6th & Edmond, Empire Trust in background
Photo #6 - A good photo of Empire Trust
Photo #7 - Razing of the building in April 1976
Photo #8 - Newspaper photo just prior to razing in 1976
Photo #9 - Removal of clock prior to razing in 1976
Photo #10 - American Exchange Bank Building in 1900
Photo #11 - Commercial Bank, predecessor of the Empire Trust Company
Photo #14 - 1916 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #3 and information was donated by Dick Heath






COMMERCIAL BLOCK BUILDING
CIRCA: APRIL 1957
604 Edmond

Photo is a 1957 St Joseph News-Press article on demolition of this building
This property, after the Empire Trust Company was demolished, would later become the location of the First Bank Of Missouri




LORREN GARLICHS INSURANCE AGENCY
606 Edmond






THE STAG BARBER SHOP
607 Edmond

The Stag Barber shop on Edmond street was established in 1890
The Stag also manufactured wigs and hair pieces for men




1 2

CIRCA 1896
DILLON CEMENT PLASTER COMPANY
WHITSON REALTY COMPANY
Circa 1950
HEALTH SPOT SHOE STORE
608 Edmond




McGEE INSURANCE AGENCY
609 Edmond




COSMOPOLITAN SHOE REPAIR #1
610 Edmond




STROP & STROP LAWYERS
611 Edmond




PERSONAL FINANCE COMPANY
613 Edmond




REX FOOD SHOP
614 Edmond






Photo Circa 1877
HARDESTY & PATTERSON WHOLESALERS
615-617 Edmond

Wholesalers in butter, eggs, poultry, etc






Circa 1899
HUDSON'S BUFFET SALOON
ARCADE NEWS STAND
ARCADE BEAUTY SHOP
SCHILDKNECHT'S BARBER SHOP
617 Edmond






Circa 1940
GOLDEN EAGLE CLOTHING
618 Edmond




Maidrite

O'BRIEN'S CAFE
ATLAS PRINTING
619 Edmond






Circa 1940
KROGER
620 Edmond

Photo - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 Maidrite3

THE RENDEZVOUS
621 Edmond
Destroyed by Fire

The Rendezvous was a cocktail lounge
Several taverns had occupied this building until it burned down
Now only a parking lot exists

Photo #1 - Rendezvous advertisement
Photo #2 - Rendezvous trade token
Photo #3 - The Schlitz sign is where the Rendezvous was once located




Maid-rite1 Maid-rite2 Maid-rite3 Maid-rite4 Maidrite5 Maidrite6 Maidrite7 8

Circa 1940's
CARAMEL CORNER
Circa 1955
MAID-RITE SANDWICH SHOP
623 Edmond
Destroyed by Fire

Before Maid-Rite occupied this building, Carmel Corner was in it
Over the years, there were numerous Maid-Rite shops in St Joseph

The V.F.W. Hall occupied the 2nd floor above Maid-Rite

Both the Maid-Rite & the VFW Hall were destroyed by fire

The entire building was razed
After the fire, Maid-rite moved to the southwest corner of 6th & Felix

Maid-Rite occupied the old gas station on the corner of Ashland & Frederick

Maid-Rite sold the Frederick Avenue building to Crumbly Burger
The Frederick Avenue location was the last in St Joseph

Crumbly Burger didn't pay the franchise fees to retain the Maid-Rite name

Maid-Rite had also purchased the old Henry building on St. Joseph Avenue but was later sold to become the Cabana Grill

In the 1980's, there was also a small Maid-Rite at 12th & Commercial

In the 1970's, there was a Maid-Rite on the Belt Highway south of the Y Motel

There are no longer any Maid-Rites in St Joseph

Photo #1 - Carmel Corner occupied the building before Maid-Rite
Photo #1 - Night photo of Carmel Corner before Maid-Rite occupied the building
Photo #3 - Only a parking lot remains
Photo #4 - 1990's photo of 7th & Edmond location
Photo #5 - Maid-Rite at 7th & Edmond location
Photo #6 - The Maid-Rite sandwich
Photo #7 - Left to right, Nick's Cleaners, Atlas Printing, Rendevous Tavern, Maid-Rite
Photo #8 - 1976 photo




Carbry Building1 Carbry Building2 Maidrite3 Maid-rite4

CARBRY BUILDING
619-623 Edmond

Carbry Building, built in 1890, located on northwest corner of 7th & Edmond
It housed numerous businesses and fell victim to fire. Maid-rite was located on the right bottom corner this building
Most of this side of Edmond Street between 6th & 7th Streets is now a parking lot




PARK FLORAL
702 Edmond




Hermans1 Hermans2

Circa 1889
THE BALLINGER BUILDING
HERMAN DRUG STORE
BOURBON STREET SEA FOOD RESTAURANT
620-624 Edmond

620-624 Edmond is the Ballinger Building, designed by Joseph Bennett
The Bourbon Street Sea Food restaurant opened a few years ago at 2001 Messanie Street, in what was earlier, the East Side Human Resources building. It did so well, the lad closed the Messanie Street restaurant and opened it up downtown in the old Herman Drug Store
We now have 2 sea food restaurants downtown




Hermans1 Hermans2 Hermans3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Circa 1889
THE BALLINGER BUILDING
HERMAN DRUG STORES
620-624 Edmond
6th & Edmond
6th & Angelique

Once there were 9 Herman Drug stores open in St Joseph
There were 3 Herman Drug stores downtown in close vicinity to one another
The buildings at 624 Edmond and 6th & Angelique are still standing
The building at 6th & Edmond was destroyed by fire in 1962
The 624 Edmond building has been sold and is currently being remodeled

Photo #1 - Herman's Drug Store, 624 Edmond - Out of business
Photo #2 - Herman's Drug Store, 6th & Angelique - Out of business
Photo #3 - 1962 newspaper photo, Herman's Drug store 7th & Edmond
Photo #4 - 1962 6th & Edmond fire
Photo #5 - 1962 6th & Edmond fire
Photo #6 - 1962 6th & Edmond fire
Photo #7 - 1962 6th & Edmond fire
Photo #8 - Advertisement showing the 9 Herman drug stores once in existence
Photo #9 - 1958 advertisement showing the 7 remaining Herman drug stores
Photo #10 - Herman's Drug Store 624 Edmond
Photo #11 - Herman's Drug Store 624 Edmond
Photo #12 - Herman's Drug Store 6th & Edmond
Photo #13 - Herman's Drug Store 6th & Edmond




1 2 3 Hermans4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1911
ST JOSEPH NEWS-PRESS
WALPOLE'S DRUG STORES
HERMAN'S DRUG STORE #7
620-624 Edmond

The Ballinger Building
In 1911, the St Joseph News-Press was in this building
In 1937, Walpole Drugs occupied this building
In 1937, Walpole Drugs had 4 stores in St Joseph
In later years a Herman's Drug Store occupied the building
The building has been empty for many years
The building has been sold in 2014 & is currently being modeled

Photo #1 - 1911 St Joseph News-Press occupied this building
Photo #2 - 1937 newspaper advertisement for Walpole's Drug Stores
Photo #3 - 1937 Walpole's luncheon menu
Photo #3 - 2010 photo of Herman's Drug Store 624 Edmond
Photo #5 - Herman's Drug Store 624 Edmond
Photo #6 - Herman's Drug Store 624 Edmond
Photo #7 - 2015 a mural was painted onto the west side of the building
Photo #8 - 2015 a mural was painted onto the west side of the building






Circa 1899
]B. NEWBURGER MILLINERY
113-115 South 6th Street

Photo - 1899 Advertisement






Circa 1959
ROCKFORD FURNITURE COMPANY
113 South 6th Street

Photo #2 - 1959 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

THE 1960 EDMOND FIRE DAMAGED THESE BUILDINGS
ESHELMAN MUSIC
JUNCTION SHOE REPAIR
BOWLING ALLEY
HERMAN DRUG STORE
ROCKFORD FURNITURE
ROBERT SMITH REAL ESTATE
South 6th between Edmond & Felix

These are some great photos of the 1960 downtown fire

On December 31,1960 smoke was discovered coming out of the bowling alley's roof located above Eshelman's Music

The fire damaged Eshelman's, Junction Shoe Repair, a bowling alley, Rockford Furniture, Smith Insurance and Herman's Drug store

A large crane was brought in to aid in removing upper leval material

Check out the old fashioned hard rubber wheels on the crane's trailer

A giant bowling pin sign was located on the corner edge of Herman's Drug store

The bowling ally was on the 2nd floor of the brick structure just north of Eshelmans

The bowling alley had old wooden floors and did not have automatic pin setters, they hired kids to set the pins manually

I worked there one night setting pins for 10 cents a game, it was pretty dangerous

Photo #1 - Looking southeast on 6th
Photo #2 - Herman Drug Store & giant bowling pin sign
Photo #3 - Robert Smith Real Estate & Insurance
Photo #4 - Junction Shoe Repair & Hermans
Photo #5 - Looking northeast on 6th
Photo #6 - old large crane & Eshelman's
Photo #7 - old photo showing Herman's before fire
Photo #8 - Empire Trust in background
Most of the fire photos were donated by Doug Howard






RATIONING BOARD
South 6th Street
Between Edmond & Felix

During WWII, a rationing board was established just north of Eshelman's




1 2 3 4 5

HILGERT'S CAFE
"The Stag"
207 South 6th Street
STAG BILLIARD ROOM
207½ South 6th Street
COSMOPOLITAN SHOE REPAIR
207 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Hilgert's Cafe was a tavern, nicknamed The Stag
The Pool Room was upstairs in the Cosmopolitan building
It was Tracy & Butler Pool Hall from 1912 until 1916
It was E. B. Tracy Billiards from 1916 until 1921

Cosmopolitan Shoe Repair 207 South 6th
Owner: Nick K Shoras

Stag Billiard Room 207½ South 6th
Owner: E. B. Tracy




1 2 3 4

Circa 1950
JACKSON FURNITURE STORE
209-211 South 6th Street
STAR FURNITURE
213 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Jackson Furniture Store 209 -211 South 6th
Owners: Louis and Betty Jackson (This was not Ole Man Jackson's)

Star Furniture 213 South 6th
Owner: Saul Manski

First Missouri Bank currently occupies this entire side of 6th Street

Photo #1 - Star & Jackson Furniture stores
Photo #2 - Jackson Furniture & Cosmopolitan Shoe Repair
Photo #3 - Star Furniture
Some photos donated by Dave Sietzen




1 2

Circa 1916
HARTMAN'S
210-212 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Photo - 1916 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Royal Furniture was located just south of the Katz Drug store on Edmond
A parking lot now consumes this space




1 2

Circa 1932
RELIABLE FURNITURE
ROYAL FURNITURE
210 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Royal Furniture was located just south of the Katz Drug store on Edmond
A parking lot now consumes this space
Photo #1 - 1932 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1925
ENTERPRISE FURNITURE
211-221 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The structure no longer exists
First Bank of Missouri now owns the property
Photo - 1925 News Press advertisement






JOHNNY'S GRILL
221 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The structure no longer exists, the First Bank of Missouri now owns the property



CHARLES STREET INTERSECTS



1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1860
J. PFEIFFER STONE SAW MILLS
9th & Frederick
6th & Charles
Between 3rd &4 th on Locust

During this company's growth it was located at 3 different locations
This company was a manufacturer and dealer in stone, marble and granite work
The company owned steam saw mills such as seen in photo #4

The Pfeiffer Stone Company president was Charles A. Pfeiffer
The Vice-president was Joseph Pfeiffer, a native of Germany, born in 1817
When the busines was incorporated it became J. Pfeiffer Stone Saw Mills

In April 1860, a stone and marble shop at 9th & Frederick Avenue was opened
Later the business was moved to the corner of 6th & Charles Streets
At this location, a 2 story brick house with stone trimmings was erected
This served as a residence, shop, and warehouse for cement, lime, plaster, etc.
In 1867, the business was moved to Locust Street, between 3rd and 4th Streets
The company is no longer in business

Photo #1 - Advertisement card for 4th & Locust address
Photo #2 - Advertisement card for 4th & Locust address
Photo #3 - Photo of the stone work at 4th & Locust
Photo #4 - 1897 Saw mill, used to cut the stone
Photo #5 - 1904 photo of a St Joseph quarry where stone was acquired
Photo #6 - Advertisement card
Photo #7 - 1899 Advertisement






GREYHOUND BUS DEPOT
6th & CHARLES
Demolished during Urban Renewal






6th & CHARLES
Looking south on 6th




HESCHONG TAVERN
301 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

In the 1958 city directory this building was listed as vacant
The structure no longer exists




1 2 3

JOHN VASSOS RESTAURANT
MODERN LUNCH
302-304 South 6th Street

In 1949, this was John Vassos Restaurant
In 1958, it was Modern Lunch
Modern Lunch was located on the SW corner of 6th & Charles

Photo #1 - Modern Lunch in the 1960's
Photo #2 - 1943 photo of Modern Lunch
Photo #3 - Circa: 2012 view of the lot




EL SAVOY SALES COMPANY
303-305 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

In 1958, this building was vacant
The structure no longer exists




MEEKS BUFFET
304 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The structure no longer exists




ENTERPRISE FURNITURE & CARPET
HERMAN & SONS FURNITURE COMPANY
305-311 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

In 1949 & 1958 city directories, this was Herman & Sons Furniture
The structure no longer exists






MAX JAMES CLOTHING
BARGAIN CENTER
WILLIAM COOPER BARBER SHOP
COOPER'S SECOND HAND & ANTIQUES
306 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






HERMAN & SONS FURNITURE COMPANY
OLE MAN JACKSON FURNITURE
307-311 South 6th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Ole Man Jackson's 1st store was at 4th & Charles
This is not the same Jackson Furniture that was located at 211 South 6th
The structure no longer exists






SAMUEL FINE SHOE REPAIR
UNKNOWN NAME BARBER SHOP
308 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




LEO EVELOFF CLOTHING
310 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






ERNEST DUNCAN
BARBER SHOP
312 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1890
W. R. OLIVER GROCERY
313 South 6th Street
Replaced by Hotel Ryan






HOTEL RYAN
313-315 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Roney Haden's parents and grandparents owned this hotel






GENE'S FURNISHINGS
CHRISTIAN MAGRASES REALTY
EARL & MARIE'S CAFE
CHRIST MAGRASES USED CLOTHING
314 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




A J MILLER REALTY
KNAPP'S USED CLOTHING
314½ South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




KANSAS CITY STAR
INTERSTATE COFFEE COMPANY
315 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This building was listed as vacant in 1958 city directory
The structure no longer exists




MICHAEL PREMIS BARBER SHOP
316 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1955
WEDDLE CARPET & LINOLEUM COMPANY
317-319 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




LIEBLING FURNITURE WAREHOUSE
318-320 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




MRS JULIA REED FURNISHED ROOMS
SANFORD DAVIS FURNISHED ROOMS
322 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




SALVATION ARMY STORE
323 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2

ROY KNAPP HARDWARE
SANDY'S TAVERN
324 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal



SLYVANIE STREET INTERSECTS



PANAMA HOTEL
609 Sylvanie Street




BALLERINA CLUB
401 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






EHRLIC & SONS MANUFACTURING
TURA'S LOUNGE
402-406 South 6th Street

Tura's structure is now gone

Photo #1 - Tura's Lounge, a bar with music & dancing




STAR FURNITURE STORAGE
403 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




PILCHER HOTEL
405 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




GIBB'S BARBER SHOP
407 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




GIBB'S SECOND HAND FURNITURE
409 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2 3

JACOB ABRAMSON FURNITURE
Circa 1902
STAR FURNITURE & CARPET COMPANY
Circa 1955
411-413 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Jacob died in 1920 and his wife Freda died in 1951
They were Russian immigrants who arrived in St Joseph in 1893
By 1894, Jacob ran a 2nd hand store with Jacob Rosenthal
By 1900 he advertised stoves and furniture
In 1902 it was a new and 2nd hand store
In 1955 it was Star Furniture
The building no longer exists, currently a parking lot

Photos - A token found by Louie Martinez while metal detecting in 2013




1 2

Circa 1919
CUNNINGHAM'S GROCERY
LEAGUE THRIFT SHOP
412 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Photo #1 - 1919 St Joseph News Press Advertisement




MRS GERALDINE WRIGHT'S
FURNISHED ROOMS
412½ South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




Circa 1920
TODD-SUNSHINE COAL COMPANY
Circa 1953
MIDTOWN USED FURNITURE
414 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






TURA'S FOUR TWENTY CLUB
420 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




SAVOY HOTEL
421 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






PARISOFF'S GROCERY
Circa 1964
CARPET CENTER
422-424 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




SAVOY BAR
423 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal



ANGELIQUE STREET INTERSECTS



Herman Drug Store1 Herman Drug Store2

HERMAN DRUG STORE #1
501 South 6th Street




GI JOE ARMY STORE
502 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






CHANDLEE PAINT & GLASS COMPANY
HERMAN DRUG STORE OFFICES
503 South 6th Street

Photo - 1917 Chandlee Paint & Glass advertisement




BROWN'S BARBECUE
504 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2

UNKNOWN BUILDING COMING DOWN
505 or 507 South 6th Street

After this building is razed, other than the Herman building at 501 So 6th, the entire block will be vacant






STAR FURNITURE WAREHOUSE
KNAPPS NEW & USED
506 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






RAY'S CAFE
STAFFORDS FURNITURE
508 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






EARL'S WARDROBE
USED CLOTHES
509 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




STAR FURNITURE WAREHOUSE
510 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






KNAPP'S HARDWARE
511 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




HERB'S TAVERN
512 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






ROBERT WOODRUFF MILLINER
DEE JAYS
513 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Robert Woodruff manufactured hats and headwear in the 1950's
The structure no longer exists






JAMES' BARBER SHOP
STORE WITHOUT A NAME
(That was the store's name)
514 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






MILLERS TRADING POST
515 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






C & R CIGAR STORE
516 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






STAFFORD FURNITURE STORAGE
MILLERS USED STORE
517 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






GREEN GRILL CAFE
518 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1921
JAKE BUTCHER SHOE REPAIR
518½ South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




STAFFORD FURNITURE STORAGE
518-A South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




SHAFER ROOMING HOUSE
518½ South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




FULL GOSPEL MISSION
Samitarian volunteer workers
519 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




ST JOE HOTEL
518 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




EAGLE HOTEL
519 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




Staffords Household Goods1 Staffords Rented Real Indian2 Staffords - empty lot3 Staffords - empty lot4 Staffords - empty lot5

STAFFORD'S HOUSEHOLD GOODS
521-523 South 6th Street
508-510 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

In 1952, his store was located on the northeast corner of 6th & Messanie

Byron Stafford sold new & used merchandise such as household goods, furniture, and a big selection of toys

Mr Stafford paid Chief Raincloud, a real Indian, to stand in front of the store

In 1957, Mr Stafford moved to 508-510 South 6th Street

In photo #4, Byron Stafford is standing in doorway of his store at 508-10 South 6th

The white painted building on the north side was owned by Roy Knapp

There is only an empty lot now at 6th & Messanie

Photo #1 - 1952 Stafford's store
Photo #2 - Chief Raincloud standing in front of the store as an advertising aid
Photo #3 - empty lot where the store once stood
Photo #4 - Color photo of the store at 508-510 South 6th
Photos were donated by Rick Stafford




1 2

TOM'S TAVERN
HAROLD SHAEFER TAVERN
QUIET TAVERN
524 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal



MESSANIE STREET INTERSECTS



1 2

Circa 1889
KIRWAN'S FURNITURE
602-614 Messanie

This was once a very popular furniture and carpet store
Photo #1 - 1972 St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement
Photo #2 - 1967 St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement




Circa 1921
J. A. ANISER HARNESS MFG COMPANY
608 Messanie Street




HARRY'S TRUCK & AUTO GAS STATION
602 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1950
CULLIGAN SOFT WATER
606 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1894
DAVID HUSTON SHOE MAKER
609 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




FARMER'S EQUIPMENT WHOLESALE
615 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




STAR FURNITURE & CARPET
(WHOLESALE)
619 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2

Circa 1890
VICTORIA HOTEL
POMRANTZ MEN'S CLOTHING
622-624 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




FARMER'S EQUIPMENT COMPANY
(STORAGE)
627 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




QUALITY PRINTING COMPANY
628 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




ETTLE GIFFORD 2ND HAND STORE
632 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




GUY'S NUT & POTATO CHIP
631 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




ROSEBUD WRECKING YARDS
632 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




FARMER'S EQUIPMENT COMPANY
640 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal



LOCUST STREET INTERSECTS



1 2 3 4 5

GREEN TREE HOTEL
GREEN TREE TAVERN
COFFEE SHOP & NITE CLUB
701-703 South 6th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The 1953 City Directory lists a Green Tree Hotel at 701 South 6th
The Green Tree Tavern, Nite Club and Cafe was located at 703 South 6th
It was owned by Virgil Townsend
As visible on the cafe window, it was operated by Ethel Chaney
To the right was another business called A-Rite Meats
The meat company was run by Johnnie Roskey
Guys Potato Chip Warehouse was located north of the Green Tree
Pat Townsend said that at end of the cafe counter was a hallway to the bar
Check out the food prices

Photo #1 - The entire block is now an empty lot with trees
Photo #2 - A great photo of the establishment
Photo #3 - On the left is Mary Townsend, Leona Townsend is on the right
Photo #4 - Inside of the cafe, the lady on the left is Ethel Chaney
Photo #5 - Virgil Townsend Trade Token
B&W photos & info were donated by Butch and Dea Allen




A-RITE MEAT COMPANY
711-713 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal






ST JOSEPH WHOLESALE LIQUOR
716-718 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




STUPPY FLORAL COMPANY
720 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal



MARY STREET INTERSECTS



SQUIRES MUSIC COMPANY
726 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




PLUMLEE BOTTLE EXCHANGE
732 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




BAINTER CONSTRUCTION
737 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




E-L WHOLESALE LIQUOR
742 South 6th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal



PATEE STREET INTERSECTS



/>
Circa 1891
E. W. RAY & SON
Building Materials
6th & Patee




Circa 1882
ST JOSEPH COAL COMPANY
Southeast Corner of 6th & Patee




ST JOSEPH IMPLEMENT COMPANY
802 South 6th Street






NORMAN TIRE & SUPPLY COMPANY
810 South 6th Street




Imperial Oil1 Imperial Oil2 Imperial Oil3 Imperial Oil4 Imperial Oil5 Imperial Oil6 Imperial Oil7 Imperial Oil8 Imperial Oil9 Imperial Oil10 Imperial Oil11 Imperial Oil12 Imperial Oil13 Imperial Oil14 Imperial Oil15

IMPERIAL CENTRAL STATE OIL CO
811 South 6th

Owned and operated by Jim Loveless and his son Bruce
Bruce let me photograph 13 of the Imperial photos he had framed in his office
I would have loved to been able to scan the photos for better quality
The photos ranged from the early 1930's to the 1980's
This is still Imperial Oil in 2014
The structure has been modified but it is still in the same location




MISSOURI WATER & STEAM SUPPLY
818 South 6th Street






Circa 1907
COLBERT PLUMBING SUPPLY
826-828 South 6th Street




VORHEES EQUIPMENT
GAS STATION SUPPLY
830 South 6th Street



OLIVE STREET INTERSECTS



DEE LITE CAFE
902 South 6th Street




1 2

Circa 1867
BROWN TRANSFER & STORAGE
GENERAL OFFICES
920-932 South 6th Street




UARCO BUSINESS FORMS
Located in Brown Transfer & Storage building
920-932 South 6th Street




VICTOR ADDING MACHINES SALES OFFICE
Located in Brown Transfer & Storage building
920-932 South 6th Street




ACME FAST FREIGHT
Located in Brown Transfer & Storage building
920-932 South 6th Street




NILES & MOSER CIGAR COMPANY
Located in Brown Transfer & Storage building
920-932 South 6th Street




Circa 1920
MANNAN-SMITH SUPPLY
COAL & BUILDING MATERIALS
1002 South 6th Street



RAILROAD CROSSING



SPINNER RESTAURANT
1208 South 6th Street




HY-LINER COCKTAIL LOUNGE
1210 South 6th Street




HABER HOTEL
1212 South 6th Street




Circa 1921
AMERICAN SHOE & FURNISHING CO
1214 South 6th Street




ACE SCALE COMPANY
1216 South 6th Street




1 2 3

OTTEN'S EUROPEAN HOTEL
UNION DEPOT HOTEL & CAFE
ANDREWS HOTEL
1304 South 6th Street

Otten's European Hotel was known to be in operation in 1895
It was located across the street from Union Depot
In later years, it was called Union Depot Hotel & Cafe
It became the Andrews Hotel
Next door south of the hotel was a pharmacy and barber shop
All buildings except one are gone now




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Circa 1890-1891
UNION DEPOT aka UNION STATION
1221 South 6th

The first depot opened 1890-1891 (See top picture in photo #5)

In 1895 the original depot burned down

In 1896, a new depot was built to replace the original - see photo #1

November 1934, the "Silver Streak Zephyr" made it's maiden run
K.C., St.Joseph, Omaha & Lincoln

Railroad lines serviced here: Santa Fe - Burlington Route - Chicago Great Western
Rock Island - Missouri Pacific - Union Pacific

During the late 1950's and early 1960's, the Burlington Route, Chicago Great Western and Rock Island moved out of the Union Depot into their own stations

Soon after, all passenger trains were discontinued thus the depot was not needed

This once beautiful structure was located on South 6th Street, just north of Mitchell

It had marble floors and gold plated bathroom fixtures

At one time, 50 to 90 trains came through this station daily

The depot sat empty for many years, Burlington razed the building in the early 1960's without notifying anyone

The Union Depot contained the following companies:
St Joseph Depot Company, Union Station Cafe, Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad station, Chicago Rock Island & Pacific Railroad station, Union Pacific Railroad passenger station, Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad passenger station, Chicago Great Western Railroad passenger station, St Joseph Union Depot baggage room, Yellow Cab Company and Western Union Telegraph Company

Photo #1 - 1886 St Joseph Union Depot
Photo #2 - 1934 "Silver Streak Zephyr" maiden run
Photo #3 - Engineer L.P. Miller and his grandchild
Photo #4 - Engineer L.P. Miller and his grandchild
Photo #5 - St Joseph's 2 Union Depots
Photo #6 - CB & Q Doodlebug at Union Station
Photo #7 - 1959 photo of depot inside
Photo #8 - Trolley at depot
Photo #9 - Union Station Restaurant
Photo #10 - Union Station Cafe
Photo #11 - Hannibal & St Joseph RR mail car
Photo #12 - 1862 Engine #35 & mail car
Photo #13 - Zephyr Vista Dome advertisement
Photo #14 - Rear view of Union Depot
Photo #15 - City bus unloading at the Union Depot
Photo #16 - CB & Q Doodlebug at Union Station
Photo #17 - CB & Q 0-6-0 switcher in 1938
Photo #18 - CB & Q 2-6-2 locomotive at Depot
Photo #19 - 1955 Burlington Zephyr at Depot
Photo #20 - St Joseph Union Depot about 1920
Photo #21 - Depot scene in the 1950's
Photo #22 - Hannibal & St Joseph RR mail car
Photo #23 - The original Union Depot
Photo #24 - View looking east from yards
Photo #25 - Union Depot Cafe lunch counter
Photo #26 - President Taft at Union Depot
Photos #2,3,4 were donated by Ken West
Photo #24 donated by Rick Stafford




ANDREW HOTEL
1224 South 6th Street




ANDREWS TAVERN
1226 South 6th Street



MITCHELL AVENUE INTERSECTS



NEWMAN'S EAT SHOP
1302 South 6th Street




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

FLORA'S CAFE
1310 South 6th


Flora's Cafe was on the south end of a block across from Union Depot (photo #7)
The block had a hotel, drug store, barber shop with baths & a saloon
A BATHS sign can be seen in photo #4
Barber poles are in front of Flora's, it may have previously been a barber shop
The Flora's Cafe structure is the only remaining structure in 2013
Some photos donated by Rodney Keyes




U.S. POST OFFICE STATION A
1315 South 6th Street




RAILWAY EXPRESS AGENCY
EXPRESS TERMINAL
1319-1325 South 6th Street






Circa 1899
SEYMOUR COAL COMPANY
RAILWAY EXPRESS AGENCY OFFICE
1402 South 6th Street




1 2 3

Circa 1881
DEMUTH STOVE REPAIR
1420 South 6th Street

Photo #1 - 1881 St Joseph News Press Advertisement
Photo #2 - 1888 St Joseph News Press Advertisement
Photo #1 - 1947 St Joseph News Press Advertisement






Circa 1950
BILES LUMBER COMPANY
1422 South 6th Street



OAK STREET INTERSECTS



1 2

GENERAL MARINE (SPEEDLINER BOATS)
AMG RESOURCES MIDWEST
2435 South 6th


In the 1950's, General Marine built Speedliner boats and other marine items
The building is currently occupied by AMG, which is a recycling company
Photo #1 - 1950 magazine advertisement
Photo #2 - 1959 magazine advertisement




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu