South 5th Street & Connecting Streets


Link
Search St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
NOTE: Does not work for DECEASED CLASSMATES
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind

Some circa may not be accurate, they are the earliest I was able to locate

FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 5th STREET
SOUTH 5th STREET BEGINS HERE





Circa 1899
J. N. KIDDS FLORIST
106 South 5th

The building no longer exists
Kidd's Greenhouses were located at 2320 St Joseph Avenue




1 2

Circa 1929
BURLINGTON TRAVEL BUREAU
110 South 5th
Circa 1947
FRANCIS PAINT & WALLPAPER COMPANY
110 South 5th

Photo #1 - 1929 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1947 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1919
BINSWANGERS DELICACIES
120 South 5th

The building no longer exists, currently Commerce Bank occupies the area






LIEBOWITZ JEWELRY
121 South 5th
Demolished during Urban Renewal
The building no longer exists, currently a parking lot


EDMOND STREET INTERSECTS





Circa Early 1900's
UNION DEPOT TROLLEY #95
5th & Edmond Streets

Trolley passing by H. Berenberg Tailor shop





Circa Early 1900's
ETTENSON CLOTHIERS
5th & Edmond Street

Street sweeper sweeping the street
Gentlemen standing in front of Ettenson Clothier's shop





Circa Early 1900's
LADY WITH FLOWERS
5th & Edmond






Circa 1880
CLOVER HILL STABLES
Between 5th & 6th Streets






Circa 1930's
LOOKING EAST ON EDMOND
TOWARDS 5th STREET

Looking east on Edmond towards 5th Street intersection
This photo is 1933 or newer vintage
The Orpheum Theater, which had been rebuilt in 1933 due to a fire, can be seen on the left with it's new face
Photo circa: 1933 or newer
Photo is property of St Joseph Museums, Inc
(Hope they don't mind if I use it here)







LOOKING EAST ON EDMOND
TOWARDS 5th STREET

Looking east on Edmond towards 5th Street
All of the buildings behind the orange bus were razed during Urban Renewal thus creating one large parking lot
The city bus terminal was once located on the right side at 5th & Edmond
The bus terminal is now gone
Photo circa: 1959







LOOKING NORTH at 5th & EDMOND

Looking north up 5th Street from Edmond
Enterprise Furniture at 5th & Felix can be seen in the top right




1 2

Circa 1931
HOME SUPPLY MARKET
5th & Edmond Street

Photo #1 - 1931 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1890
SCHLITZ CAFE
5th & Edmond
Circa 1913
ORPHEUM THEATER
5th & Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

At the turn of the century, the Schlitz Cafe was a popular restaurant
The Orpheum Theater was later constructed at this location

Photo #1 - 1890's Photo - looking north on 5th Street, Schlitz & Townsend Dry Goods can be seen
Photo #2 - The Grill Room in the basement of the Schlitz Cafe
Photo #3 - Main dining room inside of the Schlitz Cafe
Photo #4 - 1890 Photo - looking west on 5th Street, the Schlitz Cafe is seen on the right
Photo #5 - 1913 Orpheum Theater






LOOKING WEST AT 5th & EDMOND
Circa 1910

Looking west on Edmond
Note the trolley tracks
1910 St Joseph News-Press newspaper photo of 5th & Edmond




1 2 3 4 5 6

MASONIC TEMPLE
5th & Edmond
6th & Robidoux

There has been as many as 12 Masonic lodges in St Joseph

The Masonic Temple was located at 5th & Edmond and was used until 1906

A new temple was constructed between 1906 and 1908 at 6th & Robidoux beside the Scottish Rite Cathedral

The Scottish Rite Cathedral building no longer exists

The new building still resides today and has been expanded consuming the Scottish Rite property

The Scottish Rite Cathedral building no longer exists

Photo #1 - Postcard
Photo #2 - Masonic Temple 5th & Edmond
Photo #3 - Masonic Temple 5th & Edmond
Photo #4 - Masonic Temple 5th & Edmond
Photo #5 - Masonic Temple 5th & Edmond
Photo #6 - Circa 1912, the new temple at 6th Robidoux






AERIAL VIEW OF 5th & EDMOND
Circa 1930's

Look at all of the trolley tracks
This elevated photo was taken in the 1930's from the Corby Building




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1940
MECHANICS BANK
5th & Francis
Circa 1957
MECHANICS BANK
5th & Edmond
COMMERCE BANK
5th & Edmond

In 1940, the Mechanics Bank was located at 5th & Francis
In 1957, a new Mechanics Bank was constructed on the Northwest corner of 5th & Edmond Street
In later years, Commerce Bank took over at this location
St Joseph Safety Council occupied the lower floor of the bank

Photo #1 - 1957, Looking west from 5th & Edmond, a Light & Power Company city bus rounding the corner. The Mechanics Bank and Paul Block's Furniture store are seen in the background
Photo #2 - Looking North on 5th Street just south of Edmond. The city bus terminal, Commerce Bank, Einbenders and the Corby Building are in the background
Photo #3 - St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement
Photo #4 - 1957 artist drawing of the upcoming new Mechanics Bank at 5th & Edmond
Photo #5 - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5

EDMOND STREET PARKING LOT
Created during Urban Renewal

NEW 2014 EDMOND STREET MURAL
Between 5th & 6th Streets

All photos are looking north from Edmond Street between 5th & 6th

This large parking lot consumes the block that once had 10 businesses occupying this area

The buildings were removed during the Urban Renewal program

August 2014: the city hired an artist to paint a mural on the backside of all of the Felix Street buildings

An outline image was first projected onto the buildings, then the outline was painted using the bucket lift as seen in photo #2

Some days later, the mural colors had been painted. Quite a feat

This mural is visible from people heading north on I-229, a great downtown improvement

The city has replaced the original parking lot with a much better parking lot in 2014

Photo #1 - The parking lot, the backside of the Felix Street buildings & the Corby Building
Photo #2 - In 2014, the city hired a person to paint a mural on the buildings backside
Photo #3 - The backside of the remaining Felix Street buildings
Photo #4 - The parking lot, the backside of the Felix Street buildings & the Corby Building




Pawn shops1 Pawn shops2 Pawn shops3 Pawn shops4 Pawn shops5 Edmond St6 Edmond St7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Edmond St15 Edmond St16 Edmond St17

WRIGHT JEWELRY
502 Edmond
REDWING CAFE
504 Edmond
MADINGER'S SHOE REPAIR
506 Edmond
VICTOR WINTERS - DENTIST
506 ½ Edmond
Circa 1932
KROGER GROCERY
508 Edmond
HEITEN PAWN & JEWELRY
508 Edmond
Circa 1949
ARCH CABLE,Jr SPORTING GOODS
510 Edmond
Circa 1955
MISSOURI LOAN & JEWELRY CO.
508 Edmond
CENTRAL CIGAR STORE
512 Edmond
Circa 1955
PALACE SPORTING GOODS & LOANS
514 Edmond

This strip of buildings at one time contained the businesses listed above
These buildings still exist on the south side of Edmond between 5th & 6th Streets but all but one is empty
As you can see, there were numerous pawn shops & jewelry shops occupying these buildings
Before Urban Renewal, there used to be pawn shops on both sides of the street here

Photo #1 - 502 Edmond, Wright Jewelry
Photo #2 - 504 Edmond, Red Wing Cafe
Photo #3 - 506 Edmond, Madinger's Shoe Repair
Photo #3 - 506-1/2 Edmond, Victor Winters Dentist
Photo #4 - 508 Edmond, Heiten Pawn & Jewelry
Photo #4 - 510 Edmond, Arch Cable Jr Sporting Goods
Photo #5 - 510 Edmond, Arch Cable Jr Sporting Goods
Photo #5 - 512 Central Cigar Store
Photo #6 - Looking southwest on Edmond
Photo #7 - Arch Cable newspaper advertisement
Photo #8 - 1977 Newspaper advertisement
Photo #9 - Recent photo looking East on Edmond from 5th St
Photo #10 - Wrights Jewelry was located on the SE corner of 5th & Edmond
Photo #11 - Wrights Jewelry sign on side of building
Photo #12 - Wrights Jewelry sign & clock on corner of building
Photo #13 - Lou Silverglatz's American Pawn Shop
Photo #14 - Wright Jewelry's Neon Sign
Photo #15 - 1960 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #16 - 1932 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photos #1-6 donated by Dick Heath




1 2

Circa 1950
RED WING CAFE
CAROL ANN'S
504 Edmond Street

In the 1960's & 1970's, just about every Western Dairy milkman ate breakfast at Carol Ann's or bought a cup of coffee
Carol Ann's daughter currently owns Adam's grille and Carol Ann works there
Photo #1 - 1950 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - submitted by Rodney Keyes




Original Orpheum Theater Photos
Orpheum Theater1 Orpheum Theater2 Orpheum Theater3 4 5 5

After Rebuild Orpheum Theater Photos
1-R 2-R 3-R 4-R 5-R 6-R

Circa 1912
SAXES ORPHEUM THEATER
Original Building
501-505 Edmond
Circa 1933
SAXES ORPHEUM THEATER
Front Rebuilt after fire
501-505 Edmond
Circa 1933
ST JOSEPH SHOE REPAIR
501-505 Edmond
Circa 1933
MAC'S JEWELRY SHOP
501-505 Edmond

The beautiful Saxes Orpheum Theater was once one of the gems of downtown

It was built in 1912 on the site where the Schlitz Cafe once stood
There was also a lot that was used for sideshows

The theater was brightly lit at night

The Orpheum Theater was located on the northeast corner of 5th & Edmond

In photo #1, the original Townsend, Wyatt and Wall department store at 5th & Felix can be seen in the background
On January 23, 1933 a $35,000 fire severely damaged the theater along with St Joseph Shoe Repair, 505 Edmond, which also shared the structure.
The fire was believed to have been vandalism by disgruntled employees
The theater was rebuilt and reopened in October 1933

The new theater was not as extravagant as the original theater

Mac's Jewelry Shop was located adjacent to the theater

On April 4, 1958, the theater was sold to the Mechanics Bank

On May 15, 1958, it was announced that the theater would be razed

The building is now gone and is currently a parking lot

I only went there a couple times as a child in the 1950's before the razing
It smelled very badly of stale cigar & cigarette smoke
Back then, people were allowed to smoke in the theaters

ORIGINAL PHOTOS BEFORE FIRE
Photo #1 - Circa 1912 - Outside view from 5th & Edmond
Photo #2 - Circa 1912 - Inside view
Photo #3 - Circa 1912 - Outside night view
Photo #4 - Circa 1912 - Edmond Street looking West towards 5th St
Photo #5 - Circa 1912 - Brightly lit Orpheum at night
AFTER FIRE REBUILD PHOTOS
Photo #1-R - 1948 newspaper advertisement
Photo #2-R - October 13, 1933 announcing reopening after fire
Photo #3-R - Circa 1933 - Interior after reopening in 1933 after fire
Photo #4-R - Circa 1958 - As it looked in April 1958
Photo #5-R - May 15, 1958 sold to Mechanics Bank
Photo #6-R - Adv of Orpheum movie showing at reopening on October 14, 1933 after fire




1 2 3

WAKELY'S ORANGE BAR
507 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The building is now gone, currently a parking lot

Mr Wakely had 3 Wakely's Orange Bar locations in downtown in 1950
The stores were located at 507 Edmond, 502 Francis and 704 Edmond
When I was home delivering milk to Mr Wakely in the 1970's, he told me his little stores made him a millionaire

Photo #1 - Very old advertisement - possible when he only had one store
Photo #2 - 1947 advertisement
Photo #3 - 1950 telephone book listings




1 2

Circa 1949
AMERICAN LOAN & JEWELRY
509 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Louis Silverglat was the proprietor
The building is now gone, it is currently a parking lot




CENTRAL BARBER SHOP
SILVER SLIPPER SALOON
511 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The building is now gone, it is currently a parking lot




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1926
THE NEW STEVER POOL HALL
511½ Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The Stever Pool Hall was located upstairs of the Silver Slipper Saloon
The BILLIARDS sign can be seen in photo #2
I used to shoot pool here but was too young to enter the saloon
The building is now gone, it is currently a parking lot
Photo #5 - 1926 St Joseph News Press advertisement

Photo #1 - The New Stever Matchbook
Photo #2 - Parade photo, the BILLIARDS can be seen in the background
Photo #3 - The New Stever trade token
Photo #4 - 1927 St Joseph advertisement






Circa 1922
BASKET STORE No 80
512 Edmond

Photo - 1922 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3

Circa 1910
LIEBOWITZ JEWELRY
513 Edmond
BILL GEHA'S
Furniture & Appliance Mart
513 Edmond
Circa 1949
THE PALACE
513 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal


The building no longer exists, currently a parking lot




1 Edmond St2

Circa 1947
MEAT SHOP
Circa 1955
PALACE SPORTING GOODS & LOANS
514 Edmond

Photo #1 - 1947 St Joseph News Press advertisement






LEVINS LOAN OFFICE
515 Edmond
LEE BROOMS LUNCH ROOM
515 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Photo: A photographic postcard used in 1910 to advertise Bode Photography
Bode Photography was located upstairs at 515½ Edmond
This buiilding no longer exists, it is currently a parking lot




1 2

Circa 1910
MARTIN BODE PHOTOGRAPHY
515½ Edmond
CIRCA 1920's
BLOOMER-BYARLAY STUDIO
515½ Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Photo #1 - A photographic postcard used in 1910 to advertise Bode Photography
Bode Photography was located upstairs at 515½ Edmond
Photo #2 - In the 1920's, Bloomer-Byarlay Studio occupied the upstairs
This buiilding no longer exists, it is currently a parking lot




FIVE FIFTEEN CIGAR STORE
515 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The building no longer exists, currently a parking lot






Circa 1916
HARTMAN'S
516-518 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Photo - 1916 St Joseph News Press advertisement




Silver Dollar Saloon1 Silver Dollar Saloon2

SILVER DOLLAR SALOON
517 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Once located at 517 Edmond
The building no longer exists, currently a parking lot
Photos submitted by Butch Sollars




MANGANARO BROTHERS ICE CREAM PARLOR
518 Edmond

In 1921, Giuseppe "Joe" Manganaro and his brother had an ice cream parlor at this address
The original building no longer exists
The Katz Drug store appears to have consumed the property
Information submitted by Jeff Soto, Manganaro's great grandson




1 2

MILWAUKEE LUNCH
THE GRAND CAFE
519 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Milwaukee Lunch owners were John & Steve Roumous

Photo #1 - Milwaukee Lunch Circa: 1936
Photo #2 - The Grand Cafe Circa: Unknown

The building no longer exists, currently a parking lot




1 2

Circa 1900
FRANK MARCHAINI RESTAURANT
520 Edmond Street
Circa 1930
FULTON FOOD MARKET
520 Edmond Street

Makes you wonder where they got the elephant
Photo #1 - taken in 1930
Photo #2 - St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6

BEE WAYNE BAKERY
521 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Bee Wayne bakery was once located on the northwest corner of 6th & Edmond. The downtown Bee Wayne sign is visible in photo #1
This is the only photo I have of Bee Wayne at this location
The downtown building no longer exists, it is currently a city parking lot
In the 1950 City Directory, Bee Wayne Bakery was also listed at 2516 Mitchell - see photo #6
In 1935, 2518 Mitchell was Norris Drug Store
Later, 2516 & 2518 became a Herman Drug Store
Bee Waynes was located on the west (right) side of the drug store
The #2 photo now shows a only a bricked up wall and a doorway
The middle door is access to an apartment above
By 1960, the Bee Wayne bakery had moved to 221 South 22nd Street
It was one of St Joseph's most popular bakeries
John (Jake) Jacobs purchased the bakery building on South 22nd and converted into a garage to service his used cars and also served as his office for many years




Katz drug store1 2 Katz drug store3 Katz drug store4 Katz drug store5 Katz drug store6 Katz drug store7 Katz drug store8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Circa 1939
KENNEDY PURE FOOD MART
KATZ DRUG STORE
FABRIC OUTLET
528 Edmond Street

The old Katz Drug Store on the southwest corner of 6th & Edmond is still standing

It is currently occupied by some kind of flea market or antique shop

There were 2 Katz drug stores downtown, 6th & Edmond and 6th & Francis
(Actually there were 3 - when the new one opened, an old one closed)

Photo #1 - 1939 Kennedy Food Opening
Photo #2 - Kennedy Pure Food Mart
Photo #3 - Later became Katz Drugs
Photo #4 - Later became a Fabric Store
Photo #5 - Looking south at Edmond
Photo #6 - Katz Advertisement
Photo #7 - Katz advertisement
Photo #8 - A Katz paper sack
Photo #9 - A Katz paper sack
Photo #10 - Katz advertisement
Photo #11 - Kennedy advertisement
Photo #12 - Katz Advertisements
Photo #13 - Katz decanter of Jim Beam
Photo #14 - Katz Luncheon Menu
Photo #15 - Katz Ice Cream Menu
Photo #16 - Katz Sandwich Menu
Photo #17 - 2013 photo
Photo #18 - Kennedy Pure Food Mart
Photo #19 - 2016 residing of the Katz building






Circa 1920US ARMY RECRUITING STATION
208 South 5th

Photo - St Joseph News Press advertisement

Photo #1 - Nick's Cleaners on Edmond Street
Photo #2 - 1930 City Directory advertisement Circa 1930
Photo #3 - The Edmond Street parking lot where Nick's once existed
Photo #1 donated by Dave Sietzen




1 2 3 4

Circa 1931
NICK'S SERVICE
(Dry Cleaners)
212 South 5th
NICK'S CLEANERS
6?? Edmond Street

In 1930, Nick's Cleaners was located at 212 South 5th, north of Western Dairy

Nick's Cleaners last location was located between 6th & 7th on the north side of Edmond

I think that Nick's Cleaners was owned by the Zaroor family

The 212 South 5th location is an empty lot
The 6th & Edmond location is currently a parking lot

Photo #1 - Nick's Cleaners on Edmond Street
Photo #2 - 1930 City Directory advertisement Circa 1930
Photo #3 - The Edmond Street parking lot where Nick's once existed
Photo #1 donated by Dave Sietzen






Circa 1915
TRANSFER MARKET
214 South 5th

Photo - 1915 St Joseph News-Press newspaper photo






Circa 1954
SALVATION ARMY CITADEL
215 South 5th

Photo - 1954 St Joseph News-Press newspaper photo






Circa 1879
WESTERN MILK DEPOT
218 South 5th

Would later become Western Dairy and Ice Cream Company
Hannafin & Fenner were partners at this time




5th & Charles1 5th & Charles2 5th & Charles3 5th & Charles4 5th & Charles5 5th & Charles6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Circa 1879
WESTERN DAIRY & ICE CREAM CO
JUSTRITE QUALITY CHEKD DAIRY PRODUCTS
218 South 5th

Western Dairy was one of the oldest dairies in St Joseph

It was owned & operated for many years by George & Augie Fenner and numerous other members of the Fenner family

The dairy was a member of the Quality Chekd organization

Their dairy products were trade named Justrite Quality Chekd

The dairy was sold to Highland Dairy in Springfield Missouri

The Fenners continued running the dairy

The retail home delivery ceased in the late 1970's

The dairy was sold to a Hiland dairy in Iowa

All St Joseph dairy operations totally ceased as all products were being trucked in from Iowa
The St Joseph dairy remained unused except for the large cooler

Hiland Dairy eventually razed the dairy & office building

The huge cooler and garage remained for many years thereafter

Hiland Dairy finally razed the remaining structures

It is currently one huge empty lot in which Quality Chekd trailers are parked
Photo #12 - Justrite Wholesale Drivers December 1991
Back Row Left to Right: Melvin Vanmeter, Dave Yocum, Ernie Ueligger, Darrel Trautman, Jim Christ & Bob Holub
Front Row Left to Right: George Moore, Bob Erk, Roger Marriott

Photo #1 - The dairy prior to being torn down
Photo #2 - Vintage photo of the dairy
Photo #3 - Retail milk truck #37 used for making home deliveries
Photo #4 - Tray with Justrite advertising
Photo #5 - Justrite quart size milk bottle
Photo #6 - 1937 Justrite half pint size milk bottle
Photo #7 - Justrite Milk token
Photo #8 - Cardboard milk bottle cap
Photo #9 - Retail home delivery order form
Photo #10 - Rick Drozd in his Justrite milkman uniform
Photo #11 - Mary (Merk) Sharp's grandfather with his delivery vehicle in 1901
Photo #12 - 1991 photo of the Wholesale routemen
Photo #13 - 1967 advertisement
Photo #14 - 1936 December advertisement, St Joseph News Press



CHARLES STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1899
H. B. PERKINS & SON
COAL, WOOD & FEED DEALER
5th & Charles

Located east of and behind the St Charles Hotel between 5th & 6th Streets on the south side of Charles






Circa 1955
UNKNOWN BUSINESSES
Charles Street
Between 5th & 6th Streets

Located east of and behind the St Charles Hotel between 5th & 6th Streets on the south side of Charles




LINDY HOTEL
520 Charles Street




1 2 3 St. Charles Hotel gone4 St. Charles Hotel gone5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

ST CHARLES HOTEL (pre-1937)
HOTEL MILNER (1937-1941)
ST CHARLES HOTEL (1941-2010)
301 Charles Street

During a 5 year period from 1937-1941, the St. Charles Hotel was renamed
HOTEL MILNER, see photo #6

Before 1937 and after 1941, it was always called the St. Charles Hotel

So it changed names for some unknown reason for a brief period in late 1930's

The St Charles Hotel was the last historic downtown hotel that was still standing in 2010

Some scenes in the Paper Moon movie was filmed here in the 1970's

The hotel sat for many years closed and empty

After sitting empty for many years, it was torn down in 2010

ACME Vending company is currently coccupying the address

Photo #1 - As it looked before being sold
Photo #2 - As it looked before being sold
Photo #3 - a 1911 postcard
Photo #4 - 2010 photo, ACME Vending company
Photo #5 - larger photo of the #3
Photo #6 - Milner Hotel between 1937-1941
Photo #7 - St Charles Hotel envelope
Photo #8 - Rear view of the hotel
Photo #9 - Front door prior to being demolished
Photo #10 - Charles Street side
Photo #11 - Charles Street side
Photo #12 - Monogramed entranceway
Photo #13 - Demolition of the hotel
Photo #14 - Demolition of the hotel
Photo #15 - Demolition of the hotel
Photo #16 - Current company located at this address (ACME)
Photo #6 donated by Rick Stafford



SYLVANIE STREET INTERSECTS



1 2

ALLIED GLASS
501 South 5th
(5th & Sylvanie)




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Circa 1923
CHASE & POE CANDY COMPANY
400-424 South 5th Street
3600 Leonard Road
1307 South 59th

(Circa 1923, Walter Boschen)
Contributing building for:
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
Warehouse/Light Manufacturing Facility. Classical Revival. Four story brick building. Bays of upper three stories clearly articulated by concrete pilasters stringcourse lining across windows. Parapet of flat roof decorated by header-outlined brick panels with decorative white geometric tiles.
2 horizontal/2 horizontal-light sash remain on first story; upper story sash sheathed, but openings maintained. Tile infills original fenestration at entry bay in northeast corner; entrance altered, but general configuration maintained. Original entries on northwest and southeast decorated with terra cotta classical elements. Large loading docks on north and west sides.
Chase Candy Company was founded in 1876

Chase Candy Company is the 3rd oldest candy company in the USA

Around 1918, The Chase Cherry Mash was invented

In the early 1920s, Chase built a modern four-story factory in downtown St. Joseph

The building is located on the southwest corner of 5th & Sylvanie

Chase also has a warehouse located at 1109 North 3rd Street

By 1926, after 50 years in business, Chase had made more than 500 different kinds of candies, including an extensive line of candy bars

Companies known to have been in the building at 5th & Sylvanie:
Chase Candy, Dannen Mills & Farmland

In 1957, Dannen Mills purchased the building from Chase

Chase Candy built a new plant at 3600 South Leonard Road then moved once more
Chase Candy Company is currently located in an industrial park at 1307 South 59th Street

Photo #1 - Chase Candy as it once looked at 5th & Sylvanie
Photo #2 - View of the operation in the 1950's & 1960's
Photo #3 - Cherry Mash Candy made by Chase Candy
Photo #4 - Chase Candy tin
Photo #5 - One of Chase's plants located elsewhere
Photo #6 - Chase advertisement
Photo #7 - Chase plant at 1307 South 59th
Photo #8 - an old box of Cherry Mash candy bars
Photo #9 - Old advertisement of the 5th & Sylvanie plant
Photo #10 - 5th & Sylvanie building
Photo #11 - 1957 Newspaper article of Dannen Mills purchasing the building
Photo #12 - Very old advertisement
Photo #13 - Chase plant at 1307 South 59th
Photo #14 - Chase plant when it was at 3600 Leonard Road
Photo #15 - Old photo looking south down 5th Street
Photo #2 was donated by Rick Edwards
His mother is the lady that is standing



ANGELIQUE STREET INTERSECTS


MESSANIE STREET INTERSECTS



1 2

Circa 1868
J. D. McNEELY WHOLESALE
STAPLE & FANCY GROCERIES
5th & Messanie
521-523 South 5th Street

Building Circa 1868

BUSINESS NAME TIMELINE:
James D McNeely (1869-1900), James D McNeely & Co. (1901-1909)
James D McNeely & Son (1910-1913), James D McNeely & Co. (1914-1918

Existed in St Joseph from 1869-1918

His first location was on the northeast corner of 5th & Messanie
From 1886 to 1918 it was located at 521-523 South 5th Street

The structure no longer exists






Circa 1911
St Joseph Sausage Works
Seitz Sausage
5th & Walnut




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu