North 5th Street & Connecting Streets


Link
Search St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
NOTE: Does not work for DECEASED CLASSMATES
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind

Some circa may not be accurate, they are the earliest I was able to locate

FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 5th STREET
5th & FELIX, FELIX AND NORTH 5th STREET BEGINS HERE



Plymouth1 Plymouth2 Plymouth3 5th & Felix4 5 6 7 8 5th & Felix9 5th & Felix10 5th & Felix11 5th & Felix12 5th & Felix13 5th & Felix14

Circa 1902
THE PLYMOUTH CLOTHING COMPANY
501-505 Felix
Circa 1933
ENTERPRISE FURNITURE
501-505 Felix

This building was located on the northeast corner of 5th & Felix
The original structure no longer exists, it has been replaced
The Plymouth Clothing Company occupied the building in 1902
When the Block Brothers closed their store at 521-525 Felix in 1932, Plymouth moved into their building where it remained until finally closing and going out of business in 1976
In 1933, Enterprise Furniture moved into the old Plymouth building

Photo #1 - The Plymouth at 501-505 Felix, looking north on 5th street
Photo #2 - Booklet handed out to customers while in the original store
Photo #3 - 1915 Looking west at 5th & Felix Street
Photo #4 - 1932 St Joseph News-Press Plymouth advertisement
Photo #5 - 1933 Enterprise store opening advertisement
Photo #6 - Enterprise Furniture at 501-505 Felix Street location
Photo #7 - 1915 photo of Enterprise Furniture
Photo #8 - Enterprise Furniture & Carpet Company advertisement
Photo #9 - Fairly current photo of the new building
Photo #10 - Enterprise Furniture
Photo #11 - 1932 Photo of Plymouth Clothing at 501-505 Felix
Photo #12 - Postcard of Plymouth Clothing at 501-505 Felix
Photo #13 - 1926 Plymouth News Press advertisement
Photo #14 - 1908 Plymouth News Press advertisement




5th & Felix1 2

Circa 1878
CHAMBERS & MARNEY DRY GOODS CO.
505 Felix Street

Photo #1 - 1878 Advertisement
Photo #2 - 1899 Advertisement




Plymouth1 Plymouth2 Plymouth3 Plymouth4 Plymouth5

Circa 1933
PLYMOUTH DRY GOODS
521-523 Felix

Constructed in 1908
The Plymouth Building

In 1933, the Plymouth moved from 501-505 Felix into the Block Brothers building at 521-525 Felix
The Plymouth Building, a 3 story brick commercial building with terra cotta detailing serves as an important corner anchor building
In 1947, the Plymouth building had a severe fire which did $500,000 damage
The northwest corner of 6th & Felix was it's final location when they closed their doors in 1976
It is understood that Mosaic has purchased this building and has restoration plans

Photo #1 - 1935 Plymouth advertisement
Photo #2 - The New Plymouth, looking north on 6th street
Photo #3 - Plymouth watch repair advertisement
Photo #4 - 6th Street side, photo of the 1947 Plymouth fire
Photo #5 - The New Plymouth, looking north on 6th street




1 2

Circa 1925
BURNES NATIONAL BANK
5th & Felix Street







Circa 1904
KING OPTICAL
5th & Felix Street
Suite 909 in Corby Building

Photo - 1955 King Optical St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1889
LOOKING NORTH ON 5th FROM FELIX





1 1a 1b 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1886
Circa 1911
Circa 1925
CHANGES OF 5th & FELIX OVER THE YEARS

PHOTO #1 IS EXTREMELY LARGE, IT MAY TAKE A WHILE TO LOAD
These photos are all near the same location of 5th & Felix
Photos #1-2 1886 photos of 5th & Felix area
Photos #3-5 how much it changed in 25 years (1910-1911)
Photo #6 shows the same area 14 years later (1925)
Looks like a whole lot of dirt had to be removed
The 1st photo is a combination of 2 photos (#1a & 1b) that I combined to create a panoramic view. By looking at the curved bottom of the photo, the photos were evidently photographed from a magazine
Printing is also visible in the top right corner of photo #1b

Photo #1 - 1886 view of 5th & Felix - Combined photos #1a & #1b
Photo #2 - 1886 view of 5th & Felix - a lot of dirt had not been removed yet
Photo #3 - 1911 Looking east at 5th & Felix
Photo #4 - 1910 looking east on Felix from the Corby building
Photo #5 - 1910 postcard, Blocks and the Plymouth are visible
Photo #6 - 1925 looking east towards 5th & Felix, old Plymouth & old T & W visible




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

NEWER 5th & FELIX PHOTOS

Looking at old photo #1, Einbenders can be seen at bottom right

McDonald Shoes & Leibowitz can be seen on the left

The loan company on the left was Household Finance Corporation

Photo #1 - Felix Einbenders can be seen at bottom right
Photo #2 - Old postcard
Photo #3 - Current view - looking East from 5th & Felix
Photo #4 - Current view - looking West from 5th & Felix
Photo #5 - 1982 photo of Leibowitz after remodeling
Photo #6 - 1925 photo looking east at 5th & Felix, look at those neat street lights, why replace them?
Photo #7 - DESCRIPTION SUBMITTED BY Andrew Poage: Looking northwest from 5th and Felix and shows the back side of the Tootle-Hosea Dry Goods building on the left, the tops of the buildings on Wholesale Row in the background, side view of the Tootle, Wheeler and Motter Mercantile Co. Building (last used by Noma Lights) in the center, and Hotel Robidoux at the right
Photo #8 - 1971 view of Felix during Christmas season
Photo #1 Submitted by Dave Sietzen




Townsend & Wall1 Townsend & Wall2 Townsend & Wall3 Townsend & Wall4 Townsend & Wall5 6 7 8 9 10

Circa 1868
ODD FELLOWS HALL
Circa 1874
BAILEY, TOWNSEND & COMPANY
Circa 1880
TOWNSEND & WYATT DRY GOODS
TOWNSEND,WYATT & WALL DRY GOODS
502 Felix

Odd Fellows Hall was located on the Southeast corner 5th and Felix
Photo #7 depicts it as it looked in 1868
Photo #8 is a photo from 1875
In 1874, the building was occupied by Bailey, Townsend and Co. Dry Goods
The building was destroyed by fire in 1879
A new building was constructed in 1880
This began in 1880 as Townsend & Wyatt Dry Goods

The building suffered a great fire in 1893

The name was changed when Mr Wall became an associate

The Einbender building occupies this address

The original building has been modified

Photo #1 - Circa: 1910 at 5th & Felix
Photo #2 - Early location at 5th & Felix
Photo #3 - A very old T&W advertisement
Photo #4 - 1921 T&W advertisement
Photo #5 - 1893 Townsend & Wyatt fire
Photo #6 - This is what the building looks like now
Photo #7 - Artist conception of the Odd Fellows Hall
Photo #8 - 1875 photo of the Bailey & Townsend building
Photos #7 & 8 submitted by Andrew Poage





1 2 3 4


Circa 1920
HAX-SMITH FURNITURE COMPANY
502 Felix
Circa 1937
HAX-FORMAN FURNITURE COMPANY
502 Felix

Photo #4 - 1937 Hax-Forman St Joseph News Press advertisement







OLD KAY RESIDENCE
between 5th & 6th on Felix

This house stood on a hill on Felix Street between 5th & 6th Streets
Must have been a big job getting rid of all that dirt




Circa 1882
ST JOSEPH GAZETTE
112 North 5th Street

Demolished during Urban Renewal




Circa 1932
WHEELER'S RESTAURANT
114 North 5th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal




Circa 1923
N. LYMAN O. D.
Ocular refractionist
117 North 5th Street





1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Circa 1887
REGNIER & SHOUP CROCKERY
110-112 North 5th
Circa 1927
WHOLESALER'S MILLINERY OUTLET
110-112 North 5th
Circa 1946
PIMBLEY PAINT & GLASS COMPANY
110-112 North 5th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The Regnier & Shoup Crockery Co was located at 110-112 North 5th
The building was constructed in 1887
The company were resellers of ceramic, china and other items
Some china imported from Germany had scenes of St Joseph on them
The city multi-level parking lot now occupies this site

Photo #1 - Regnier & Shoup Crockery postcard
Photo #2 - Regnier & Shoup Crockery postcard
Photo #3 - September 25, 1893 fire
Photo #4 - 1890, 15-gallon salt-glazed ceramic two handled jug
Photo #5 - "Show this ad for a 10 percent discount" advertisement
Photo #6 - 1899 Advertisement
Photo #7 - 1919 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #8 - 1946 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #9 - 1927 St Joseph Gazette advertisement




1 2

Circa 1920
METROPOLITAN PAVING & COAL COMPANY
Circa 1921
ESHELMAN'S MUSIC SHOP
115 North 5th Street
Circa 1946
BAIER'S WALLPAPER & PAINT
Circa 1955
INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES
115 North 5th Street





1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1888
GERMAN AMERICAN BANK
118 North 5th Street
CARL BROOM'S CAFE
118 North 5th Street
Circa 1947
ALLEN'S
116 North 5th Street
Circa 1951
JIM GORMAN'S
116 North 5th Street
HALL ABSTRACT
116-118 North 5th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

City multi-level parking lot now exists on this site




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1909
ST JOSEPH WEATHER BUREAU
520 North 5th Street
(5th & Isadore)

This building was constructed in 1909 as the United states Weather Bureau. The building permit listed the price of $15,440. The Weather Bureau Station closed in 1954 and the building was then converted into apartments
This well preserved and outstanding example of the Beaux Arts school of design is of landmark calibre and would contribute greatly to the establishment of a historic district in the Robidoux hills area
This structure once housed the US Weather Bureau in St Joseph
It is located north of the Police Station on the southwest corner of 5th & Isadore
The building is still standing and is still in good condition
Photo #3 - 1912 Postcard




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1899
ELKS CLUB or LODGE
Between Francis & Jules on North 5th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The Elks Club, also known as the Elks Lodge, was located on the east side of the 200 block of North 5th Street. This group’s official name was the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks.
This national organization traces its origins back to 1868 when it was founded by Charles Vivian in New York City to support theatrical performing troupes. It grew throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, spreading across the U.S. and supporting local and national charitable projects. The building was sold and the Elks used several locations in the Downtown area for a headquarters before closing their doors locally.
Today, headquartered at Elks National Veterans Memorial in Chicago, Illinois, it is one of the leading fraternal orders in the United States, claiming nearly one million members
The building no longer exists, it was razed during Urban Renewal







1 2 3 4

CHRISTMAS SEASON ON FELIX STREET

Downtown decorated during the season

Photo #1 - Circa 1940's Looking east from 5th & Felix
Photo #2 - Circa 1974 Looking west from 6th & Felix
Photo #3 - 5th Street decorations - note trolley rails
Photo #4 - 1931 - 4th & Felx, looking east from the Corby Building




1 2 3 4 5

FELIX STREET MALL PHOTOS
Between 5th & 7th

After Urban Renewal, the city modified downtown Felix Street between 5th & 7th street numerous times with hopes of bringing business back to downtown

They tried removing the street, making it into a walking only mall - that failed

They changed the traffic flow from 2 way to one way and then back again

They drastically modified 7th street between Edmond and Felix and then put it back the way it was originally

They removed the parking meters and are now considering reinstalling the meters

Photo #1 - 1970 Black & White photo
Photo #2 - 1971 winter photo
Photo #3 - Postcard - photo taken when dime stores still exist
Photo #4 - 1983 newspaper advertisement






Circa 1930
BON MARCHE
5th & Felix Street



5th & Felix1 5th & Felix2 5th & Felix3 5th & Felix4 5th & Felix5 5th & Felix6

ASSORTED STORES
501-517 Felix

These are buildings now located between 5th & 6th Street on the North side of Felix

Photo #1 - 501-505 Felix, once was Enterprise Furniture
Photo #2 - 511 Felix, Mode-O-Day (was Sybil's Hats in 1955)
Photo #3 - 513 Felix, Vetter Beauty Shop (was Kinnison Drug in 1940)
Photo #4 - 515 Felix, Leibowitz, Darling Shops Ladies Wear
Photo #5 - 517 Felix, Leibowitz, Darling Shops Ladies Wear
Photo #6 - 517 Felix, Leibowitz, Darling Shops Ladies Wear




1 Townsend & Wall2

Circa 1939
SEARS & ROEBUCK
502 Felix

In 1939, Sears and Roebuck had a grand opening of a new Sears store in the old Townsend & Wyatt Dry Goods building

Sears would later move to 22nd & Messanie Street

Photo #1 - 1939 newspaper advertisement for new store
Photo #2 - Photo of the old Townsend & Wyatt Dry Goods building




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1880
EINBENDER'S
502-506 Felix

Building Circa 1880
Originally this was the Townsend & Wyatt Dry Goods building

This building has been altered thus hiding it's original features

The four story building currently has non-original metal and fiberboard sheathing

Maybe someday someone will buy the building and removed the exterior covering

The last tenant was Einbender's women's apparel store owned by Lester Einbender

The store was known world wide, people came from around the USA to shop here

Photo #1 - Current photo
Photo #2 - Current photo
Photo #3 - 1960 yellow page advertisement
Photo #4 - Original building as it looked when Townsend & Wyatt owned it




1 2 3 4

Circa 1899
BRADY CARPET
507 Felix
Circa 1922
GRIFFITH SHOES
507 Felix
Circa 1953
McDONALD'S SHOES INC
507 Felix

In 1899, this was Brady Carpet
In 1922, this was Griffith's Shoes
In 1953, this was McDonald's Shoes
Photo #3 - 1922 Griffith advertisement
Photo #4 - 1960 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1937
TUTTLE-SCOTT SHOES
508 Felix





1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1899
ELLINGWOOD & COMPANY
BRADY FURNITURE & CARPET
SCHIFF SHOES
509 Felix

Brady Furniture was located in this 4 storey building at 509 Felix

Note the hat store on the right side, all men used to wear hats

The building was modified and went from good looking to not so good looking

Photo #1 - 509 Felix building as it looked originally
Photo #2 - 509 Felix building as it looks in 2012
Photo #3 - how the hat company building looks in 2012
Photo #4 - Schiff Shoes walkway inlay
Photo #5 - News-Press article, removing floors from building
Photo #6 - 1899 Advertisement




1 5th & Felix2 5th & Felix3 5th & Felix4 5th & Felix5 5th & Felix6 5th & Felix7 5th & Felix8

Circa 1891
LOUIS HAX FURNITURE COMPANY
Circa 1940
W. T. GRANT DEPARTMENT STORE
510 Felix

Originally was Louis Hax Furniture
In later years, it became W.T. Grant Department Store

Photo #1 - Louis Hax Furniture Company
Photo #2 - Inside view of W.T. Grant Department Store
Photo #3 - Judy Frazier working as a cashier
Photo #4 - W. T. Grant's grand opening
Photo #5 - Busy inside view of W.T. Grant's
Photo #6 - Early 1950's store front view
Photo #7 - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #8 - 1891 St Joseph Gazette advertisement




1 2

MODE-O-DAY FROCK SHOP
SIBYL HATS
511 Felix




1 2 3

Circa 1974
MANNSCHRECK'S BOOK STORE
512 Felix

This is currently a tavern and has been for many years




5th & Felix1 5th & Felix2 5th & Felix3

Circa 1900
W.H. GRIFFITH & SON SHOE STORE
513 Felix
Circa 1908
SAM KAHN
Knapp-Felt Hats
513 Felix
Circa 1933
W.S. KINNISON & SON DRUG STORE
513 Felix

Was Kinnison Drug store in 1940
Photo #2 - 1933 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1908 Sam Kahn News Press advertisement




5th & Felix1 5th & Felix2

Circa 1866
ST JOSPEH GUARANTY TITLE
513½ Felix
Circa 1958
VETTER BEAUTY SHOP
513½ Felix

Shared a drug store in 1955




5th & Felix1 5th & Felix2 5th & Felix3 5th & Felix4 5th & Felix5 5th & Felix6 5th & Felix7 8

THE LEHMAN BUILDING
Circa 1909
LEHMANS
515-517 Felix
Circa 1926
SMITH'S
515-517 Felix
Circa 1928
GRAND LEADER DEPARTMENT STORE
515-517 Felix
Circa 1955
DARLING SHOPS LADIES WEAR
515 Felix

Building Circa 1909
Originally this was Lehmans
The front siding has been removed
The third story is intact, including it's historic windows
This 3 story building has been fairly well modified from the original
The second story windows are covered over and the store front has been altered




1 2 3 4

Circa 1899
BRILL BOOOK & STATIONARY CO
516 Felix
Circa 1910
O'BRIEN-KILEY SHOE COMPANY
516 Felix
Circa 1930
BUCK'S BOOTERIE
516 Felix
Circa 1953
BARKER'S SHOE STORE
516 Felix

Building Circa 1899
Listed in the 1953 City Directory as being Barker's Shoe Store
The building was modified in 1935 and also in 1976-1977
The upper 2 stories have been removed and the store front has been altered




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1866
CHAMBERS & MARNEY DRY GOODS
518 Felix
Circa 1884
GEORGE COOKE & COMPANY
520 Felix
Circa 1910
MARTIN-BARNES DRY GOODS COMPANY
518-520 Felix
Circa 1919
HARTMAN'S
518-520 Felix
In 1915, a 4 story brick building replaced the old building

THE BERGMAN BUILDING
The original building was established in 1866
The original building no longer exists
In 1915, the old building was replaced with a new 4 story brick building
It has an altered storefront, but original cladding and fenestration pattern on 2nd-4th stories, included two-story high windows with accentuated surrounds
Photo #1 - 1906 Chamber & Marney letterhead
Photo #3 - 1919 Hartman's News Press Advertisement
Photo #4 - 1920 Hartman's News Press Advertisement
Photo #5 - 1910 Martin-Barnes News Press Advertisement
Photo #6 - 1884 George Cooke News Press Advertisement




Montgomery Wards1 Montgomery Wards2 Montgomery Wards3 Montgomery Wards4 5

Circa 1915
MONTGOMERY WARD & COMPANY
518-520 Felix

Building Circa 1915
In 1915, the old building was replaced with a new 4 story brick building
The structure underwent alterations in the 1930's

Photo #1 - Looking east on Felix from 5th street, Montgomery Wards is visible
Photo #2 - 1934 Montgomery Wards photo
Photo #3 - 1940's Montgomery Wards photo
Photo #4 - 2105 A mural was painted onto the east side of the Montgomery Ward building
Photo #5 - 1938 St Joseph News Press Advertisement




5th & Felix1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Circa 1912
LAWRENCE MILLINERY
519 Felix Street
Circa 1918
NATIONAL GARMENT COMPANY
519 Felix Street
Circa 1920
BLOCK BROTHERS CLOTHING STORE
515-519 Felix Street
Circa 1923
DANIELS INCORPORATED
519 Felix Street
Circa 1930
GRAND LEADER DEPARTMENT STORE
515-519 Felix Street
Circa 1938
KINNEY'S
519 Felix Street
Circa 1953
JACUELINE SHOP
519 Felix Street
Circa 1955
TAYLORS SHOES
519 Felix Street
Circa 1966
HOUSEHOLD FINANCE CORPORATION
519 Felix

Nate & Harry Block owned this store in 1920
Samuel Block was a buyer for the store
In 1910, their store was on the NW corner of 6th & Felix

Photo #1 - 1910 Block Brothers calendar
Photo #2 - 519 Felix building
Photo #3 - 1966 HFC News Press advertisement
Photo #5 - Nate Block's sign at 515-519 Felix
Photo #10 - 1912 Lawrence Millinery advertisement
Photo #11 - 1918 National Garment advertisement
Photo #12 - 1953 Jacueline News Press advertisement
Photo #13 - 1955 Taylor Shoes News Press advertisement




Maidrite1 Maidrite2 Dixie3 Dixie4 Dixie5 Dixie6 Dixie7 Dixie8

Building Circa 1892
Circa 1905
NATE BLOCK'S NEW PLACE
522 Felix
Circa 1940's
AMERICAN DIXIE SHOPS
522 Felix
Circa 1949
HOLLY'S WOMENS APPAREL SHOP
522 Felix
Circa 1990's
MAID-RITE SANDWICH SHOP
522 Felix

Building Circa 1892
The building has undergone 2 major modifications
Major modification in 1922 and another in 1972
This was originally a 4 story building, it is now only one story
It now has metal corrugated siding
From 1949-1960, this was Holly's dress shop
After the Maid-Rite at 7th & Edmond burned down, Maid-Rite moved to this building
Photo #5 - 1960 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #6 - 1949 Holly News Press advertisement
Photo #8 - 1905 Nate Block New Place advertisement




1 2 Plymouth3 4 5


Circa 1909
BLOCK BROTHERS CLOTHING COMPANY
521-523 Felix
Circa 1932
PLYMOUTH DRY GOODS
521-523 Felix

Building Circa: 1908
In 1909, the Block Brothers, Ellsworth, Samuel and Harry Block, started the Block Brothers Clothing Company at 521-523 Felix
The building still standing today at the same location of 6th & Felix
Originally, in 1901, Henry Auerbach, Henry Guettel and Moe Mayer opened the Plymouth Dry Goods at Fifth and Felix streets
The Plymouth Dry Goods moved to this location in 1932 when Blocks closed its doors
The building burned in 1947 and the Plymouth spent $500,000 rehabbing the structure
Both, Block Brothers and Plymouth, were popular downtown department stores featuring clothes for men, women and children
The Plymouth closed permanently in 1976 and the building has gone through many businesses ever since
Today, Mosaic has acquired the property and has plans for a major restoration
Photo #1 - Turn of the century, looking east on Felix at 6th Street
Photo #2 - 1919 Postcard
Photo #3 - A modern photo of the building at 521-523 Felix
Photo #4 - Turn of the century, looking west on Felix at 6th Street
Photo #5 - Same view as #4 but taken in modern days



FRANCIS STREET INTERSECTS



Hotel Robidoux1 Robidoux Center2 Robidoux Center3 Robidoux Center4 Hotel Robidoux5 Hotel Robidoux6 Hotel Robidoux7 Hotel Robidoux8 Hotel Robidoux9 Hotel Robidoux10 Hotel Robidoux11 Hotel Robidoux12 Hotel Robidoux13 Hotel Robidoux14 Hotel Robidoux15 Hotel Robidoux16 Hotel Robidoux17 Hotel Robidoux18 Hotel Robidoux19 Hotel Robidoux20 Hotel Robidoux21 Hotel Robidoux22 Hotel Robidoux23 24 Hotel Robidoux25 Hotel Robidoux26 Hotel Robidoux27 Hotel Robidoux28 Hotel Robidoux29 Hotel Robidoux30 Hotel Robidoux31 Hotel Robidoux32 Hotel Robidoux33 Hotel Robidoux34 Hotel Robidoux35 Hotel Robidoux36 Hotel Robidoux37 Hotel Robidoux38 Hotel Robidoux39 Hotel Robidoux40 Hotel Robidoux41 Hotel Robidoux42 Hotel Robidoux43 Hotel Robidoux44 Hotel Robidoux45 Hotel Robidoux46

Circa 1908
HOTEL ROBIDOUX
5th & Francis

This magnificent hotel opened on September 15, 1908

Hotel Robidoux was imploded on June 13,1976

Many St. Joseph residents lived in the hotel year round

Their Black Angus room was noted for it's fabulous steaks & lobster dinners

They used to have great record hops in the 2nd floor ballroom sponsored by KUSN radio

We knocked the plaster off the ceiling below by stomping one night to the Mexican Hat Rock

The hotel management no longer allowed the record hop to be held in the hotel so it was moved to the Eagles Lodge on North 10th St

In 1978, Robidoux Center, a modern, multimillion dollar, 6 story office building replaced the hotel. American National Bank, & other businesses occupy the new building

Photo #1 - Hotel Robidoux
Photo #2 - parking garage entrance
Photo #3 - Implosion photo
Photo #4 - article about implosion
Photo #5 - Advertisement
Photo #6 - Hotel dining room
Photo #7 - Side entrance
Photo #8 - Hotel room keys
Photo #9 - Hotel Dinner plate
Photo #10 - Hotel Chalice
Photo #11 - KUSN radio advertisement
Photo #12 - Hotel Robidoux lobby
Photo #13 - motor entrance sign
Photo #14 - Terrace railing
Photo #15 - Main dining room
Photo #16 - Main dining room
Photo #17 - Hotel Robidoux Bar
Photo #18 - 06/14/1976 - hotel remains
Photo #19 - Hotel(R)- Noma Lights(L)
Photo #20 - Kitchen - circa 1918
Photo #21 - 1918 Billiard Room
Photo #22 - 1918 Ladies Waiting Room
Photo #23 - 1918 Tea Room
Photo #24 - Complimentary Needles
Photo #25 - Main lobby
Photo #26 - Typical Robidoux Hotel room
Photo #27 - 1941 Coffee Shop Menu (cover)
Photo #28 - 1941 Coffee Shop Menu (inside)
Photo #29 - 1910 water fountain
Photo #30 - April 17,1952 Lafayette banquet
Photo #31 - Hotel Robidoux bar room
Photo #32 - 1910 Billiards advertisement
Photo #33 - 1910 Postcard
Photo #34 - KUSN Record Hop ad
Photo #35 - Pony Express mixed menu
Photo #36 - Hotel Robidoux Coat of Arms
Photo #37 - Hotel Robidoux room #646 key
Photo #38 - Cup, Saucer & Room Key
Photo #39 - Gala Farewell Page 1
Photo #40 - Gala Farewell Page 2
Photo #41 - Gala Farewell Page 3
Photo #42 - Gala Farewell Page 4
Photo #43 - Gala Farewell Page 5
Photo #44 - 1940's Francis St Entrance
Photo #45 - 1911 Photo
Photo #46 - 1958 Christmas tree in lobby






Circa 1955
PONY EXPRESS SHOP
5th & Francis

Photo - 1955 Pony Express Shop News Press advertisement






WYATT PARK CITY BUS
5th & Francis

Wyatt Park city bus rounding the corner at 5th & Francis
Circa: 1930-1940






ST JOSEPH STEAM PRINTING COMPANY
2nd & Felix
5th & Francis

Photo is the original southwest corner of 2nd & Felix location




1 2

Circa 1955
MORRIS PLAN
501 Francis Street




1 2 3 4 5

WAKELY'S ORANGE BAR
502 Francis Street

Mr Wakely had 3 Wakely's Orange Bar locations in downtown in 1950
The stores were located at 507 Edmond, 502 Francis and 704 Edmond
When I was home delivering milk to Mr Wakely in the 1970's, he told me his little stores made him a millionaire

Photo #1 - Very old advertisement - possible when he only had one store
Photo #2 - 1947 advertisement
Photo #3 - 1950 telephone book listings
Photo #4 - Wakely's 502 Francis Orange Bar
Photo #5 - Night photo of Wakely's 502 Francis Orange Bar






Circa 1955
HUMBLE'S HOME FURNISHINGS
504 Francis Street

Known to be located within the Tootle Theater building in 1955





Circa 1888
WENDOVER JEWELRY
512 Francis Street

A. Wendover, a native of New York City, at the age of 37, came to St Joseph in 1887. He opened his jewelry store within the Toole Theater building in 1888
Mr Wendover was among the first to offer payments on items purchased





1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 14a 14b 15

Tootle Opera House's Final Hours on November 21, 2016

15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Photos #15-24 were taken by Patrick P. Evenson on Nov. 21, 2016

The Pitiful Remnants of the Pioneer Building after the fire

25 36 27

Circa 1871
TOOTLE'S OPERA HOUSE
504-510 Francis Street

Circa 1906
ORPHEUM VAUDEVILLE THEATER
504-510 Francis Street

Circa Mid 1920's
DUBINSKY BROTHERS
504-510 Francis Street

Circa 1931
LITTLE THEATER
504-510 Francis Street

Circa 1939
PIONEER BUILDING
504-510 Francis Street

Circa 1972
MORRIS PLAN & CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
504-510 Francis Street

THE UNOCCUPIED 145 YEAR OLD BUILDING MET IT'S FATE BY FIRE ON NOVEMBER 21, 2016

The building was erected by Mr. Milton Tootle in 1871 at a cost of $150,000
It was the most extravagant structure in St Joseph
The opera house officially opened on December 9, 1872
It seated 1400 and had a 40' x 60' stage
It was regarded as the finest theatre west of Chicago
By 1906, it was the Orpheum Vaudeville Theater (see photos #1, 2 & 13)
In 1920, the building was vacant due to overwhelming competition and movie theaters
The Dubinsky Brothers purchased the building in the mid 1920's, having road shows and movies
In 1931, it became the Little Theater
In 1939, the Tootle Opera House was converted into commercial office space and the building was then renamed as the Pioneer Building
In 1939, while the main post office was being built, the post office occupied the bottom floor
Additional alterations to the building were made in 1963
The Morris Plan and St Joseph Chamber of Commerce occupied the building in 1972

Photo #1 - Circa:1906, titled as being Tootle Opera House
Photo #2 - Circa:1906, the marque in both photos shows Orpheum
Photo #3 - 1874 lithograph
Photo #4 - Chandelier from the Tootle Opera House
Photo #5 - Current view of the building
Photo #6 - 1972 newspaper photo, celebrating 100 years of the Tootle Opera House
Photo #7 - 1873 Tootle Opera ticket - currently on display at Patee Museum
Photo #8 - 1925 photo of Tootle Opera House - note the billboard
Photo #9 - Francis street view
Photo #10 - Tootle Theater Auditorium
Photo #11 - Tootle Theater entrance hall
Photo #12 - Tootle Theater stage
Photo #13 - Newspaper ad, Orpheum Silent Theater opened in the Tootle Theater
Photo #14 - Old postcard
Photo #14a - Turn of the century painting
Photo #14b - Trolley turning the corner at 5th & Francis
Photo #16 - Tootle Opera House
Photos #15-24 The devastating fire on November 21, 2016
Photo #1 submitted by Brooke Hickman
Photos #15-24 were taken by Patrick P. Evenson





1 2

Circa 1919
CHICAGO GREAT WESTERN
USRA CONSOLIDATED TICKET OFFICE
505 Francis
Circa 1947
ATCHISON, TOPEKA & SANTE FE RAILROAD
DIVISION OF FREIGHT AND
PASSENGER TICKET OFFICE
505 Francis Street






DONNELL COURT BUILDING
507 Francis Street






Circa 1935
PEOPLE'S HOME & SAVING ASSOCIATION
Circa 1955
MUMFORD & HANNA INSURANCE
509 Francis Street






Circa 1920
ROBIDOUX PHARMACY
5th & Francis Street

Photo - 1920 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1899
STUPPY
ST JOSEPH'S FLORIST
510 Francis Street






Circa 1955
CHICAGO BURLINGTON & QUINCY RAILROAD
PASSENGER DIVISION
Circa 1960
DIVERSIFIED INVESTORS SERVICES
511 Francis Street




1 2

Circa 1889
PROVIDENT SAVINGS ASSOCIATION
513 Francis Street

The building in Photo #1 was built in 1921




ST JOSEPH GUARANTY TITLE
513½ Francis Street






Circa 1889
WOMEN'S EXCHANGE
514 Francis

Would later to become the St Joseph Light & Power office




St Joe Light & Power1 St Joe Light & Power2

Circa 1953
ST JOSEPH LIGHT & POWER
514 Francis

St Joseph Light & Power Company was located on Francis St between 5th & 6th St
St Joseph Light & Power later moved to 6th & Atchison streets
The Light & Power company was later was bought by Aquila




1 2

Circa 1949
THE FABRIC COMPANY
515 Francis Street

Photos - 1949 Fabric Company News Press advertisements




1 2

Circa 1899
KROEGER PIANO (FACTORY BRANCH)
ST JOSEPH GAS COMPANY
UNION PACIFIC RAILROAD
516 Francis Street

Photo - 1899 Kroeger Piano advertisement
Union Pacific Railroad Company Office




1 2

Circa 1925
FORD & PORTER
Investment Securities
517 Francis Street
Circa 1932
UNION PACIFIC TICKET OFFICE
517 Francis Street
Circa 1955
PATERNAL TRUST
517 Francis Street




ST JOSEPH CLEARING HOUSE
517½ Francis Street




1 2 3

The Tootle Building
Circa 1950
EMERSON JEWELERS
518 Francis Street




1 2

Circa 1906
UNION MERCHANTILE
520 Francis Street
Circa 1912
FRANK ATKINSON REAL ESTATE
Loan Office
520 Francis Street
ST JOSEPH LIGHT & POWER
520 Francis Street




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1899
TOOTLE-LEMON NATIONAL BANK
TOOTLE-LACY NATIONAL BANK
CURRENTLY A PARKING LOT
523-525 Francis

The bank is located on the northwest corner of 6th & Francis
Milton Tootle,Jr was born in St. Joseph on March 18, 1872
He was the son of Milton Tootle
Milton Tootle, Jr was President of the Tootle-Lemon National Bank
The building no longer exists
In 2015 or 2016, the building was razed
A parking lot now occupies this address

Photo #1 - 1911 photo of the bank
Photo #2 - More recent photo of the bank
Photo #3 - Good front view of the bank
Photo #4 - Excellent front view of the bank
Photo #8 - 1921 Tootle-Lacy News Press advertisement
Photo #4 submitted by Michael Miller







Circa 1980
SALAD SHOPPE
5th & Francis Street

Photo - 1980 St Joseph News Press Advertisement




1 2 3 4

Circa 1929
KATZ DRUG COMPANY
(Tootle Building)
528 Francis Street

Was located on the southwest corner of 5th & Francis
This drug store opened in 1929
Photo #1 - A collection of old newspaper advertisements
Photo #2 - 1930 St Joseph Newspress advertisement




1 2

JIM WEAKLEY CLOTHIERS
(Tootle Building)
528 Francis Street
ST JOSEPH LIGHT & POWER
(Tootle Building)
528 Francis Street
AQUILA LIGHT & POWER
(Tootle Building)
528 Francis Street
MONTEE LAW FIRM
(Tootle Building)
528 Francis Street

Located on the southwest corner of 5th & Francis



JULES STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1920's
POSTER HANGERS
On Jules Street, Between 5th & 6th Streets







1899
DR A. V. BANES MEDICINE COMPANY
5th & Jules Street





Lyceum Theater1 Lyceum Theater2 Lyceum Theater3 Lyceum Theater4 Lyceum Theater5

Circa 1913
LYCEUM THEATER
LYCEUM SILENT MOVIE THEATER
5th & Jules Street

The theater was located on the southwest corner of 5th & Jules Street
The theater was known to be in operation in 1913 and also in 1920
Photo #3 - 1920 St Joseph Gazette advertisement for a play
Photo #4 - 1921-1922 Lyceum Program brochure
No further information available




1 2 3 4

Circa 1941
BURLINGTON TRAILWAYS BUS DEPOT
512 Jules Street
Circa 1948
AMERICAN BUS LINES BUS DEPOT
512 Jules Street
Circa 1950
CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS BUS DEPOT
512 Jules Street

512 Jules
The following bus lines were at this address between 1941 and 1949:
Burlington, American, Continental, Jefferson, National Trailways, Rock Island, Santa Fe Trailway, Union Bus lines
Photo #1 - submitted by Rick Stafford






Circa 1890
ST JOSEPH NATATORIUM
5th & Jules

Circa 1890
In 1890, this natatorium was located on the corner of 5th & Jules
A natatorium is a building containing a swimming pool within its own building
Photo - 1890 Natatorium in St Joseph




1st courthouse

FIRST COUNTY COURT HOUSE
5th & Jules




County Jail1 County Jail2 County Jail3 County Jail4 County Jail5 County Jail6

BUCHANAN COUNTY JAIL
5th & Jules


Photo #1 - 1910 Buchanan County Courthouse and jail
Photo #2 - View of the county jail
Photo #3 - View of the county jail
Photo #4 - 1890 Buchanan County Jail
Photo #5 - Photo of the former jail that was built before the Civil War
Photo #6 - County Jail with a Sheriff car sitting on street in front of building
Photo #6 submitted by Michael Miller





1 2

NEW THE CENTRAL POLICE STATION

Construction photos of the new Central Police Station
Photos submitted by Michael Miller






DOWNTOWN SKELLY STATION
501 Jules
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This gas station was located east of Buchanan Court House
A city parking lot replaced the structure during Urban Renewal






Circa 1947
ELECTROLUX CORPORATION
518 Jules




1 2

DEWEY & WHITTINGTON CONOCO
519 Jules Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This service station was listed in 1955 city directory at 519 Jules
Dewey & Whittington Parking lot was located at 303 North 6th
George Dewey was the co-operator
The entire north side of this block has been replaced with a new state complex
Photo #1 - 1960 Conoco invoice for 1000 gallons of gasoline purchased. I am curious about the S.S. Rental for 1 ¼ cents per gallon. Does anyone know what the S.S. Rental fee is?
Photo #2 - Snapshot of the drive, circa unknown. The man in the coveralls is Mr. Dewey
Photos submitted by Charlotte Carpenter (Dewey's great-neice)






Circa 1980
UNITED STRUCTUAL ERECTORS
519 Main Street








PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu