5th Street & Connecting Streets


Link
Search St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search
NOTE: Does not work for DECEASED CLASSMATES
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind

Some circa may not be accurate, they are the earliest I was able to locate

Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE: Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 5th STREET
NORTH 5th STREET BEGINS HERE





Circa 1889
LOOKING NORTH ON 5th FROM FELIX





1 1a 1b 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1886
Circa 1911
Circa 1925
CHANGES OF 5th & FELIX OVER THE YEARS

PHOTO #1 IS EXTREMELY LARGE, IT MAY TAKE A WHILE TO LOAD
These photos are all near the same location of 5th & Felix
Photos #1-2 1886 photos of 5th & Felix area
Photos #3-5 how much it changed in 25 years (1910-1911)
Photo #6 shows the same area 14 years later (1925)
Looks like a whole lot of dirt had to be removed
The 1st photo is a combination of 2 photos (#1a & 1b) that I combined to create a panoramic view. By looking at the curved bottom of the photo, the photos were evidently photographed from a magazine
Printing is also visible in the top right corner of photo #1b

Photo #1 - 1886 view of 5th & Felix - Combined photos #1a & #1b
Photo #2 - 1886 view of 5th & Felix - a lot of dirt had not been removed yet
Photo #3 - 1911 Looking east at 5th & Felix
Photo #4 - 1910 looking east on Felix from the Corby building
Photo #5 - 1910 postcard, Blocks and the Plymouth are visible
Photo #6 - 1925 looking east towards 5th & Felix, old Plymouth & old T & W visible




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

NEWER 5th & FELIX PHOTOS

Looking at old photo #1, Einbenders can be seen at bottom right

McDonald Shoes & Leibowitz can be seen on the left

The loan company on the left was Household Finance Corporation

Photo #1 - Felix Einbenders can be seen at bottom right
Photo #2 - Old postcard
Photo #3 - Current view - looking East from 5th & Felix
Photo #4 - Current view - looking West from 5th & Felix
Photo #5 - 1982 photo of Leibowitz after remodeling
Photo #6 - 1925 photo looking east at 5th & Felix, look at those neat street lights, why replace them?
Photo #7 - DESCRIPTION SUBMITTED BY Andrew Poage: Looking northwest from 5th and Felix and shows the back side of the Tootle-Hosea Dry Goods building on the left, the tops of the buildings on Wholesale Row in the background, side view of the Tootle, Wheeler and Motter Mercantile Co. Building (last used by Noma Lights) in the center, and Hotel Robidoux at the right
Photo #8 - 1971 view of Felix during Christmas season
Photo #1 donated by Dave Sietzen







OLD KAY RESIDENCE
between 5th & 6th on Felix

This house stood on a hill on Felix Street between 5th & 6th Streets
Must have been a big job getting rid of all that dirt




Circa 1882
ST JOSEPH GAZETTE
112 North 5th Street







Circa 1947
ALLEN'S
116 North 5th Street





1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1887
REGNIER & SHOUP CROCKERY
110-112 North 5th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The Regnier & Shoup Crockery Co was located at 110-112 North 5th
The building was constructed in 1887
The company were resellers of ceramic, china and other items
Some china imported from Germany had scenes of St Joseph on them
The city multi-level parking lot now occupies this site

Photo #1 - Regnier & Shoup Crockery postcard
Photo #2 - Regnier & Shoup Crockery postcard
Photo #3 - September 25, 1893 fire
Photo #4 - 1890, 15-gallon salt-glazed ceramic two handled jug
Photo #5 - "Show this ad for a 10 percent discount" advertisement
Photo #6 - 1899 Advertisement
Photo #7 - 1919 St Joseph News Press advertisement




Circa 1920
METROPOLITAN PAVING & COAL COMPANY
Circa 1955
INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES
115 North 5th Street







HALL ABSTRACT
116-118 North 5th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

City multi-level parking lot now exists on this site




1 2 3

Circa 1899
ELKS CLUB
Between Francis & Jules on North 5th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Prior to razing it was home to the St Joseph Junior Chamber of Commerce
City parking lot now exists on this site
Photo #1 - Postcard displaying the Elks Club structure
Photo #2 - Postcard displaying the interior
Photo #3 - Circa 1899 photo




1 2 3

CHRISTMAS SEASON ON FELIX STREET

Downtown decorated during the season

Photo #1 - Circa 1940's Looking east from 5th & Felix
Photo #2 - Circa 1974 Looking west from 6th & Felix
Photo #3 - 5th Street decorations - note trolley rails




Townsend & Wall1 Townsend & Wall2 Townsend & Wall3 Townsend & Wall4 Townsend & Wall5 6 7 8 9 10

Circa 1868
ODD FELLOWS HALL
Circa 1874
BAILEY, TOWNSEND & COMPANY
Circa 1880
TOWNSEND & WYATT DRY GOODS
TOWNSEND,WYATT & WALL DRY GOODS
502 Felix

Odd Fellows Hall was located on the Southeast corner 5th and Felix
Photo #7 depicts it as it looked in 1868
Photo #8 is a photo from 1875
In 1874, the building was occupied by Bailey, Townsend and Co. Dry Goods
The building was destroyed by fire in 1879
A new building was constructed in 1880
This began in 1880 as Townsend & Wyatt Dry Goods

The building suffered a great fire in 1893

The name was changed when Mr Wall became an associate

The Einbender building occupies this address

The original building has been modified

Photo #1 - Circa: 1910 at 5th & Felix
Photo #2 - Early location at 5th & Felix
Photo #3 - A very old T&W advertisement
Photo #4 - 1921 T&W advertisement
Photo #5 - 1893 Townsend & Wyatt fire
Photo #6 - This is what the building looks like now
Photo #7 - Artist conception of the Odd Fellows Hall
Photo #8 - 1875 photo of the Bailey & Townsend building
Photos #7 & 8 submitted by Andrew Poage





1 2 3 4 5

FELIX STREET MALL PHOTOS
Between 5th & 7th

After Urban Renewal, the city modified downtown Felix Street between 5th & 7th street numerous times with hopes of bringing business back to downtown

They tried removing the street, making it into a walking only mall - that failed

They changed the traffic flow from 2 way to one way and then back again

They drastically modified 7th street between Edmond and Felix and then put it back the way it was originally

They removed the parking meters and are now considering reinstalling the meters

Photo #1 - 1970 Black & White photo
Photo #2 - 1971 winter photo
Photo #3 - Postcard - photo taken when dime stores still exist
Photo #4 - 1983 newspaper advertisement




Plymouth1 Plymouth2 Plymouth3 5th & Felix4 5 6 7 8 5th & Felix9 5th & Felix10 5th & Felix11 5th & Felix12 5th & Felix13

Circa 1908
BLOCK BROTHERS CLOTHING
Circa 1915
THE PLYMOUTH CLOTHING COMPANY
Circa 1933
ENTERPRISE FURNITURE
501-505 Felix

This building was located on the northeast corner of 5th & Felix
The original structure no longer exists, it has been replaced
This location was originally occupied by Block Clothing in 1908
The Plymouth Clothing Company occupied the building in 1915
In 1933, Enterprise Furniture moved into the building
In 1933, the Plymouth moved to the NW corner at 6th & Felix
6th & Felix was the Plymouth's final location

Photo #1 - The Plymouth at 501-505 Felix, looking north on 5th street
Photo #2 - Booklet handed out to customers while in the original store
Photo #3 - 1915 Looking west at 5th & Felix Street
Photo #4 - 1932 St Joseph News-Press Plymouth advertisement
Photo #5 - 1933 Enterprise store opening advertisement
Photo #6 - Enterprise Furniture at 501-505 Felix Street location
Photo #7 - 1915 photo of Enterprise Furniture
Photo #8 - Enterprise Furniture & Carpet Company advertisement
Photo #9 - Fairly current photo of the new building
Photo #10 - Enterprise Furniture
Photo #11 - 1932 Photo of Plymouth Clothing at 501-505 Felix
Photo #12 - Postcard of Plymouth Clothing at 501-505 Felix
Photo #13 - Cardcow Postcard of Block Brothers





5th & Felix1 2

Circa 1878
CHAMBERS & MARNEY DRY GOODS CO.
505 Felix Street

Photo #1 - 1878 Advertisement
Photo #2 - 1899 Advertisement




Plymouth1 Plymouth2 Plymouth3 Plymouth4 Plymouth5

Circa 1908
PLYMOUTH DRY GOODS
521-525 Felix

The Plymouth Building, a 3 story brick commercial building with terra cotta detailing which serves as an important corner anchor.
In 1947, the Plymouth building had a fire at 501-505 Felix
In 1933, the Plymouth moved to the NW corner at 6th & Felix
The northwest corner of 6th & Felix was it's final location

Photo #1 - 1935 Plymouth advertisement
Photo #2 - The New Plymouth, looking north on 6th street
Photo #3 - Plymouth watch repair advertisement
Photo #4 - 6th Street side, photo of the 1947 Plymouth fire
Photo #5 - The New Plymouth, looking north on 6th street




5th & Felix1 2

Circa 1912
LEIBOWITZ
DARLING SHOPS (LADIES WEAR)
515 Felix Street





Circa 1930
BURNES NATIONAL BANK
5th & Felix Street





Circa 1930
BON MARCHE
5th & Felix Street



5th & Felix1 5th & Felix2 5th & Felix3 5th & Felix4 5th & Felix5 5th & Felix6

ASSORTED STORES
501-517 Felix

These are buildings now located between 5th & 6th Street on the North side of Felix

Photo #1 - 501-505 Felix, once was Enterprise Furniture
Photo #2 - 511 Felix, Mode-O-Day (was Sybil's Hats in 1955)
Photo #3 - 513 Felix, Vetter Beauty Shop (was Kinnison Drug in 1940)
Photo #4 - 515 Felix, Leibowitz, Darling Shops Ladies Wear
Photo #5 - 517 Felix, Leibowitz, Darling Shops Ladies Wear
Photo #6 - 517 Felix, Leibowitz, Darling Shops Ladies Wear




1 Townsend & Wall2

Circa 1939
SEARS & ROEBUCK
502 Felix

In 1939, Sears and Roebuck had a grand opening of a new Sears store in the old Townsend & Wyatt Dry Goods building

Sears would later move to 22nd & Messanie Street

Photo #1 - 1939 newspaper advertisement for new store
Photo #2 - Photo of the old Townsend & Wyatt Dry Goods building




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1880
EINBENDER'S
502-506 Felix

Building Circa 1880
Originally this was the Townsend & Wyatt Dry Goods building

This building has been altered thus hiding it's original features

The four story building currently has non-original metal and fiberboard sheathing

Maybe someday someone will buy the building and removed the exterior covering

The last tenant was Einbender's women's apparel store owned by Lester Einbender

The store was known world wide, people came from around the USA to shop here

Photo #1 - Current photo
Photo #2 - Current photo
Photo #3 - 1960 yellow page advertisement
Photo #4 - Original building as it looked when Townsend & Wyatt owned it




1 2 3 4

Circa 1899
BRADY CARPET
Circa 1922
GRIFFITH SHOES
McDONALD'S SHOES INC
507 Felix

In 1899, this was Brady Carpet
In 1922, this was Griffith's Shoes
In 1953, this was McDonald's Shoes
Photo #3 - 1922 Griffith advertisement
Photo #4 - 1960 St Joseph News Press advertisement






TUTTLE-SCOTT SHOES
508 Felix





1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1899
ELLINGWOOD & COMPANY
BRADY FURNITURE & CARPET
SCHIFF SHOES
509 Felix

Brady Furniture was located in this 4 storey building at 509 Felix

Note the hat store on the right side, all men used to wear hats

The building was modified and went from good looking to not so good looking

Photo #1 - 509 Felix building as it looked originally
Photo #2 - 509 Felix building as it looks in 2012
Photo #3 - how the hat company building looks in 2012
Photo #4 - Schiff Shoes walkway inlay
Photo #5 - News-Press article, removing floors from building
Photo #6 - 1899 Advertisement




1 5th & Felix2 5th & Felix3 5th & Felix4 5th & Felix5 5th & Felix6 5th & Felix7 5th & Felix8

Circa 1891
LOUIS HAX FURNITURE COMPANY
Circa 1940
W. T. GRANT DEPARTMENT STORE
510 Felix

Originally was Louis Hax Furniture
In later years, it became W.T. Grant Department Store

Photo #1 - Louis Hax Furniture Company
Photo #2 - Inside view of W.T. Grant Department Store
Photo #3 - Judy Frazier working as a cashier
Photo #4 - W. T. Grant's grand opening
Photo #5 - Busy inside view of W.T. Grant's
Photo #6 - Early 1950's store front view
Photo #7 - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #8 - 1891 St Joseph Gazette advertisement




1 2

MODE-O-DAY FROCK SHOP
SIBYL HATS
511 Felix




1 2 3

Circa 1974
MANNSCHRECK'S BOOK STORE
512 Felix

This is currently a tavern and has been for many years




5th & Felix1 5th & Felix2

Circa 1900
W.H. GRIFFITH & SON SHOE STORE
Circa 1933
W.S. KINNISON & SON DRUG STORE
513 Felix

Was Kinnison Drug store in 1940
Photo #2 - 1933 St Joseph News Press advertisement




5th & Felix

Circa 1866
ST JOSPEH GUARANTY TITLE
Circa 1958
VETTER BEAUTY SHOP
513½ Felix

Shared a drug store in 1955




5th & Felix1 5th & Felix2 5th & Felix3

Circa 1909
LEHMANS
DARLING SHOPS LADIES WEAR
515-517 Felix

Building Circa 1909
Originally this was Lehmans
This 3 story building has been fairly well modified from the original
The second story windows are covered and the store front has been altered




1 2

Circa 1899
BRILL BOOOK & STATIONARY CO
516 Felix
Circa 1910
O'BRIEN-KILEY SHOE COMPANY
516 Felix
Circa 1953
BARKER'S SHOE STORE
516 Felix

Building Circa 1899
Listed in the 1953 City Directory as being Barker's Shoe Store
The building was modified in 1935 and also in 1976-1977
The upper 2 stories have been removed and the store front has been altered




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1866
CHAMBERS & MARNEY DRY GOODS
Circa 1910
MARTIN-BARNES DRY GOODS COMPANY
Circa 1919
HARTMAN'S
518-520 Felix

Established in 1866
The original building no longer exists
Photo #1 - 1906 News Press Advertisement
Photo #3 - 1919 News Press Advertisement
Photo #4 - 1920 News Press Advertisement
Photo #5 - 1910 News Press Advertisement




Montgomery Wards1 Montgomery Wards2 Montgomery Wards3 Montgomery Wards4

Circa 1915
MONTGOMERY WARD & COMPANY
518-520 Felix

Building Circa 1915
In 1915, the old building was replaced with a 4 story brick building
The structure underwent alterations in the 1930's

Photo #1 - Looking east on Felix from 5th street, Montgomery Wards is visible
Photo #2 - 1934 Montgomery Wards photo
Photo #3 - 1940's Montgomery Wards photo
Photo #4 - 2105 A mural was painted onto the east side of the Montgomery Ward building




Circa 1920
BLOCK BROTHERS CLOTHING STORE
JACUELINE SHOP
519 Felix




Maidrite1 Maidrite2 Dixie3 Dixie4

Buiding Circa 1892
Circa 1940's
AMERICAN DIXIE SHOPS
Circa 1950
HOLLY'S WOMENS APPAREL SHOP
Circa 1990's
MAID-RITE SANDWICH SHOP
522 Felix

Building Circa 1892
The building has undergone 2 major modifications, one in 1922 and one in 1972

This was originally a 4 story building, it is now only one story

It now has metal corrugated siding

From 1950-1960, this was Holly's dress shop

After the Maid-Rite at 7th & Edmond burned down, Maid-Rite moved to this building





1 2 Plymouth3 4 5


Circa 1908
BLOCK BROTHERS CLOTHING COMPANY
PLYMOUTH DRY GOODS
521-523 Felix

Building Circa: 1908
Block Brothers Clothing Company originally occupied this building
This was Block's first location, Plymouth Dry Goods later moved into this building
Photos #4 and #5 are the same view but taken in different eras



FRANCIS STREET INTERSECTS



Hotel Robidoux1 Robidoux Center2 Robidoux Center3 Robidoux Center4 Hotel Robidoux5 Hotel Robidoux6 Hotel Robidoux7 Hotel Robidoux8 Hotel Robidoux9 Hotel Robidoux10 Hotel Robidoux11 Hotel Robidoux12 Hotel Robidoux13 Hotel Robidoux14 Hotel Robidoux15 Hotel Robidoux16 Hotel Robidoux17 Hotel Robidoux18 Hotel Robidoux19 Hotel Robidoux20 Hotel Robidoux21 Hotel Robidoux22 Hotel Robidoux23 24 Hotel Robidoux25 Hotel Robidoux26 Hotel Robidoux27 Hotel Robidoux28 Hotel Robidoux29 Hotel Robidoux30 Hotel Robidoux31 Hotel Robidoux32 Hotel Robidoux33 Hotel Robidoux34 Hotel Robidoux35 Hotel Robidoux36 Hotel Robidoux37 Hotel Robidoux38 Hotel Robidoux39 Hotel Robidoux40 Hotel Robidoux41 Hotel Robidoux42 Hotel Robidoux43 Hotel Robidoux44 Hotel Robidoux45 Hotel Robidoux46

Circa 1908
HOTEL ROBIDOUX
5th & Francis

This magnificent hotel opened on September 15, 1908

Hotel Robidoux was imploded on June 13,1976

Many St. Joseph residents lived in the hotel year round

Their Black Angus room was noted for it's fabulous steaks & lobster dinners

They used to have great record hops in the 2nd floor ballroom sponsored by KUSN radio

We knocked the plaster off the ceiling below by stomping one night to the Mexican Hat Rock

The hotel management no longer allowed the record hop to be held in the hotel so it was moved to the Eagles Lodge on North 10th St

In 1978, Robidoux Center, a modern, multimillion dollar, 6 story office building replaced the hotel. American National Bank, & other businesses occupy the new building

Photo #1 - Hotel Robidoux
Photo #2 - parking garage entrance
Photo #3 - Implosion photo
Photo #4 - article about implosion
Photo #5 - Advertisement
Photo #6 - Hotel dining room
Photo #7 - Side entrance
Photo #8 - Hotel room keys
Photo #9 - Hotel Dinner plate
Photo #10 - Hotel Chalice
Photo #11 - KUSN radio advertisement
Photo #12 - Hotel Robidoux lobby
Photo #13 - motor entrance sign
Photo #14 - Terrace railing
Photo #15 - Main dining room
Photo #16 - Main dining room
Photo #17 - Hotel Robidoux Bar
Photo #18 - 06/14/1976 - hotel remains
Photo #19 - Hotel(R)- Noma Lights(L)
Photo #20 - Kitchen - circa 1918
Photo #21 - 1918 Billiard Room
Photo #22 - 1918 Ladies Waiting Room
Photo #23 - 1918 Tea Room
Photo #24 - Complimentary Needles
Photo #25 - Main lobby
Photo #26 - Typical Robidoux Hotel room
Photo #27 - 1941 Coffee Shop Menu (cover)
Photo #28 - 1941 Coffee Shop Menu (inside)
Photo #29 - 1910 water fountain
Photo #30 - April 17,1952 Lafayette banquet
Photo #31 - Hotel Robidoux bar room
Photo #32 - 1910 Billiards advertisement
Photo #33 - 1910 Postcard
Photo #34 - KUSN Record Hop ad
Photo #35 - Pony Express mixed menu
Photo #36 - Hotel Robidoux Coat of Arms
Photo #37 - Hotel Robidoux room #646 key
Photo #38 - Cup, Saucer & Room Key
Photo #39 - Gala Farewell Page 1
Photo #40 - Gala Farewell Page 2
Photo #41 - Gala Farewell Page 3
Photo #42 - Gala Farewell Page 4
Photo #43 - Gala Farewell Page 5
Photo #44 - 1940's Francis St Entrance
Photo #45 - 1911 Photo
Photo #46 - 1958 Christmas tree in lobby






WYATT PARK CITY BUS
5th & Francis

Wyatt Park city bus rounding the corner at 5th & Francis
Circa: 1930-1940






ST JOSEPH STEAM PRINTING COMPANY
2nd & Felix
5th & Francis

Photo is the original southwest corner of 2nd & Felix location




1 2

Circa 1955
MORRIS PLAN
501 Francis Street




1 2 3 4 5

WAKELY'S ORANGE BAR
502 Francis Street

Mr Wakely had 3 Wakely's Orange Bar locations in downtown in 1950
The stores were located at 507 Edmond, 502 Francis and 704 Edmond
When I was home delivering milk to Mr Wakely in the 1970's, he told me his little stores made him a millionaire

Photo #1 - Very old advertisement - possible when he only had one store
Photo #2 - 1947 advertisement
Photo #3 - 1950 telephone book listings
Photo #4 - Wakely's 502 Francis Orange Bar
Photo #5 - Night photo of Wakely's 502 Francis Orange Bar






Circa 1955
HUMBLE'S HOME FURNISHINGS
504 Francis Street

Known to be located within the Tootle Theater building in 1955





Circa 1888
WENDOVER JEWELRY
512 Francis Street

A. Wendover, a native of New York City, at the age of 37, came to St Joseph in 1887. He opened his jewelry store within the Toole Theater building in 1888
Mr Wendover was among the first to offer payments on items purchased





1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 14a 14b 15

Tootle Opera House's Final Hours on November 21, 2016

15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Photos #15-24 were taken by Patrick P. Evenson on Nov. 21, 2016

The Pitiful Remnants of the Pioneer Building after the fire

25 36 27

Circa 1871
TOOTLE'S OPERA HOUSE
504-510 Francis Street

Circa 1906
ORPHEUM VAUDEVILLE THEATER
504-510 Francis Street

Circa Mid 1920's
DUBINSKY BROTHERS
504-510 Francis Street

Circa 1931
LITTLE THEATER
504-510 Francis Street

Circa 1939
PIONEER BUILDING
504-510 Francis Street

Circa 1972
MORRIS PLAN & CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
504-510 Francis Street

THE UNOCCUPIED 145 YEAR OLD BUILDING MET IT'S FATE BY FIRE ON NOVEMBER 21, 2016

The building was erected by Mr. Milton Tootle in 1871 at a cost of $150,000
It was the most extravagant structure in St Joseph
The opera house officially opened on December 9, 1872
It seated 1400 and had a 40' x 60' stage
It was regarded as the finest theatre west of Chicago
By 1906, it was the Orpheum Vaudeville Theater (see photos #1, 2 & 13)
In 1920, the building was vacant due to overwhelming competition and movie theaters
The Dubinsky Brothers purchased the building in the mid 1920's, having road shows and movies
In 1931, it became the Little Theater
In 1939, the Tootle Opera House was converted into commercial office space and the building was then renamed as the Pioneer Building
In 1939, while the main post office was being built, the post office occupied the bottom floor
Additional alterations to the building were made in 1963
The Morris Plan and St Joseph Chamber of Commerce occupied the building in 1972

Photo #1 - Circa:1906, titled as being Tootle Opera House
Photo #2 - Circa:1906, the marque in both photos shows Orpheum
Photo #3 - 1874 lithograph
Photo #4 - Chandelier from the Tootle Opera House
Photo #5 - Current view of the building
Photo #6 - 1972 newspaper photo, celebrating 100 years of the Tootle Opera House
Photo #7 - 1873 Tootle Opera ticket - currently on display at Patee Museum
Photo #8 - 1925 photo of Tootle Opera House - note the billboard
Photo #9 - Francis street view
Photo #10 - Tootle Theater Auditorium
Photo #11 - Tootle Theater entrance hall
Photo #12 - Tootle Theater stage
Photo #13 - Newspaper ad, Orpheum Silent Theater opened in the Tootle Theater
Photo #14 - Old postcard
Photo #14a - Turn of the century painting
Photo #14b - Trolley turning the corner at 5th & Francis
Photo #16 - Tootle Opera House
Photos #15-24 The devastating fire on November 21, 2016
Photo #1 submitted by Brooke Hickman
Photos #15-24 were taken by Patrick P. Evenson





AT & SF RAILROAD
DIVISION OF FREIGHT AND
PASSENGER TICKET OFFICE
505 Francis Street






DONNELL COURT BUILDING
507 Francis Street






Circa 1935
PEOPLE'S HOME & SAVING ASSOCIATION
Circa 1955
MUMFORD & HANNA INSURANCE
509 Francis Street






Circa 1899
STUPPY
ST JOSEPH'S FLORIST
510 Francis Street






Circa 1955
CHICAGO BURLINGTON & QUINCY RAILROAD
PASSENGER DIVISION
Circa 1960
DIVERSIFIED INVESTORS SERVICES
511 Francis Street




1 2

Circa 1889
PROVIDENT SAVINGS ASSOCIATION
513 Francis Street




ST JOSEPH GUARANTY TITLE
513½ Francis Street






Circa 1889
WOMEN'S EXCHANGE
514 Francis

Would later to become the St Joseph Light & Power office




St Joe Light & Power1 St Joe Light & Power2

Circa 1953
ST JOSEPH LIGHT & POWER
514 Francis

St Joseph Light & Power Company was located on Francis St between 5th & 6th St
St Joseph Light & Power later moved to 6th & Atchison streets
The Light & Power company was later was bought by Aquila




THE FABRIC COMPANY
515 Francis Street

Seller of dry goods




1 2

Circa 1899
KROEGER PIANO (FACTORY BRANCH)
ST JOSEPH GAS COMPANY
UNION PACIFIC RAILROAD
516 Francis Street

Photo - 1899 Kroeger Piano advertisement
Union Pacific Railroad Company Office




PATERNAL TRUST
517 Francis Street




ST JOSEPH CLEARING HOUSE
517½ Francis Street




EMERSON JEWELERS
518 Francis Street






Circa 1912
Frank Atkinson Real Estate Loan Office
St Joseph Light & Power
520 Francis Street




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1899
TOOTLE-LEMON NATIONAL BANK
CURRENTLY A PARKING LOT
523-525 Francis

The bank is located on the northwest corner of 6th & Francis
Milton Tootle,Jr was born in St. Joseph on March 18, 1872
He was the son of Milton Tootle
Milton Tootle, Jr was President of the Tootle-Lemon National Bank
The building no longer exists
In 2015 or 2016, the building was razed
A parking lot now occupies this address

Photo #1 - 1911 photo of the bank
Photo #2 - More recent photo of the bank
Photo #3 - Good front view of the bank
Photo #4 - Excellent front view of the bank
Photo #4 submitted by Michael Miller







Circa 1980
SALAD SHOPPE
5th & Francis Street

Photo - 1980 St Joseph News Press Advertisement






Circa 1929
KATZ DRUG COMPANY
528 Francis Street

Was located on the southwest corner of 5th & Francis
This drug store opened in 1929
Photo - A collection of old newspaper advertisements announcing the opening of all the Katz Drug Stores in St Joseph




1 2

JIM WEAKLEY CLOTHIERS
ST JOSEPH LIGHT & POWER
AQUILA LIGHT & POWER
MONTEE LAW FIRM
528 Francis Street

Located on the southwest corner of 5th & Francis



JULES STREET INTERSECTS





1899
DR A. V. BANES MEDICINE COMPANY
5th & Jules Street





Lyceum Theater1 Lyceum Theater2 Lyceum Theater3 Lyceum Theater4 Lyceum Theater5

Circa 1913
LYCEUM THEATER
LYCEUM SILENT MOVIE THEATER
5th & Jules Street

The theater was located on the southwest corner of 5th & Jules Street
The theater was known to be in operation in 1913 and also in 1920
Photo #3 - 1920 St Joseph Gazette advertisement for a play
Photo #4 - 1921-1922 Lyceum Program brochure
No further information available






Photo Circa 1940
BURLINGTON TRAILWAYS BUS DEPOT
5th & Jules Street

5th & Jules Street
Photo Circa: 1940
Photo donated by Rick Stafford






Circa 1890
ST JOSEPH NATATORIUM
5th & Jules

Circa 1890
In 1890, this natatorium was located on the corner of 5th & Jules
A natatorium is a building containing a swimming pool within its own building
Photo - 1890 Natatorium in St Joseph




1st courthouse

FIRST COUNTY COURT HOUSE
5th & Jules




County Jail1 County Jail2 County Jail3 County Jail4 County Jail5 County Jail6

BUCHANAN COUNTY JAIL
5th & Jules


Photo #1 - 1910 Buchanan County Courthouse and jail
Photo #2 - View of the county jail
Photo #3 - View of the county jail
Photo #4 - 1890 Buchanan County Jail
Photo #5 - Photo of the former jail that was built before the Civil War
Photo #6 - County Jail with a Sheriff car sitting on street in front of building
Photo #6 submitted by Michael Miller





1 2

NEW THE CENTRAL POLICE STATION

Construction photos of the new Central Police Station
Photos submitted by Michael Miller






DOWNTOWN SKELLY STATION
501 Jules
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This gas station was located east of Buchanan Court House
A city parking lot replaced the structure during Urban Renewal




1 2

DEWEY & WHITTINGTON CONOCO
519 Jules Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This service station was listed in 1955 city directory at 519 Jules
Dewey & Whittington Parking lot was located at 303 North 6th
George Dewey was the co-operator
The entire north side of this block has been replaced with a new state complex
Photo #1 - 1960 Conoco invoice for 1000 gallons of gasoline purchased. I am curious about the S.S. Rental for 1 ¼ cents per gallon. Does anyone know what the S.S. Rental fee is?
Photo #2 - Snapshot of the drive, circa unknown. The man in the coveralls is Mr. Dewey
Photos donated by Charlotte Carpenter (Dewey's great-neice)



FARAON STREET INTERSECTS


FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 5th STREET
SOUTH 5th STREET BEGINS HERE





Circa 1899
J. N. KIDDS FLORIST
106 South 5th


The building no longer exists
Kidd's Greenhouses were located at 2320 St Joseph Avenue






Circa 1947
FRANCIS PAINT & WALLPAPER COMPANY
110 South 5th

Photo - 1947 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1919
BINSWANGERS DELICACIES
120 South 5th

The building no longer exists, currently Commerce Bank occupies the area






Circa 1910
LIEBOWITZ JEWELRY
513 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The building no longer exists, currently a parking lot






LIEBOWITZ JEWELRY
121 South 5th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The building no longer exists, currently a parking lot



EDMOND STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1880
CLOVER HILL STABLES
Between 5th & 6th Streets






Circa 1930's
LOOKING EAST ON EDMOND
TOWARDS 5th STREET

Looking east on Edmond towards 5th Street intersection
This photo is 1933 or newer vintage
The Orpheum Theater, which had been rebuilt in 1933 due to a fire, can be seen on the left with it's new face
Photo circa: 1933 or newer
Photo is property of St Joseph Museums, Inc
(Hope they don't mind if I use it here)







LOOKING EAST ON EDMOND
TOWARDS 5th STREET

Looking east on Edmond towards 5th Street
All of the buildings behind the orange bus were razed during Urban Renewal thus creating one large parking lot
The city bus terminal was once located on the right side at 5th & Edmond
The bus terminal is now gone
Photo circa: 1959







LOOKING NORTH at 5th & EDMOND

Looking north up 5th Street from Edmond
Enterprise Furniture at 5th & Felix can be seen in the top right






Circa 1940
HOME SUPPLY MARKET
5th & Edmond Street




1 2 3 4

SCHLITZ CAFE
ORPHEUM THEATER
5th & Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

At the turn of the century, the Schlitz Cafe was a popular restaurant
The Orpheum Theater was later located at this location

Photo #1 - 1890's Photo - looking north on 5th Street, Schlitz & Townsend Dry Goods can be seen
Photo #2 - The Grill Room inside of the Schlitz Cafe
Photo #3 - Main dining room inside of the Schlitz Cafe
Photo #4 - 1890 Photo - looking west on 5th Street, the Schlitz Cafe is seen on the right






LOOKING WEST AT 5th & EDMOND
Circa 1910

Looking west on Edmond
Note the trolley tracks
1910 St Joseph News-Press newspaper photo of 5th & Edmond




1 2 3 4 5 6

MASONIC TEMPLE
5th & Edmond
6th & Robidoux

There has been as many as 12 Masonic lodges in St Joseph

The Masonic Temple was located at 5th & Edmond and was used until 1906

A new temple was constructed between 1906 and 1908 at 6th & Robidoux beside the Scottish Rite Cathedral

The Scottish Rite Cathedral building no longer exists

The new building still resides today and has been expanded consuming the Scottish Rite property

The Scottish Rite Cathedral building no longer exists

Photo #1 - Postcard
Photo #2 - Masonic Temple 5th & Edmond
Photo #3 - Masonic Temple 5th & Edmond
Photo #4 - Masonic Temple 5th & Edmond
Photo #5 - Masonic Temple 5th & Edmond
Photo #6 - Circa 1912, the new temple at 6th Robidoux






AERIAL VIEW OF 5th & EDMOND
Circa 1930's

Look at all of the trolley tracks
This elevated photo was taken in the 1930's from the Corby Building




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1940
MECHANICS BANK
5th & Francis
Circa 1957
MECHANICS BANK
5th & Edmond
COMMERCE BANK
5th & Edmond

In 1940, the Mechanics Bank was located at 5th & Francis
In 1957, a new Mechanics Bank was constructed on the Northwest corner of 5th & Edmond Street
In later years, Commerce Bank took over at this location
St Joseph Safety Council occupied the lower floor of the bank

Photo #1 - 1957, Looking west from 5th & Edmond, a Light & Power Company city bus rounding the corner. The Mechanics Bank and Paul Block's Furniture store are seen in the background
Photo #2 - Looking North on 5th Street just south of Edmond. The city bus terminal, Commerce Bank, Einbenders and the Corby Building are in the background
Photo #3 - St Joseph News-Press newspaper advertisement
Photo #4 - 1957 artist drawing of the upcoming new Mechanics Bank at 5th & Edmond
Photo #5 - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5

EDMOND STREET PARKING LOT
Created during Urban Renewal
NEW 2014 EDMOND STREET MURAL
Between 5th & 6th Streets

All photos are looking north from Edmond Street between 5th & 6th

This large parking lot consumes the block that once had 10 businesses occupying this area

The buildings were removed during the Urban Renewal program

August 2014: the city hired an artist to paint a mural on the backside of all of the Felix Street buildings

An outline image was first projected onto the buildings, then the outline was painted using the bucket lift as seen in photo #2

Some days later, the mural colors had been painted. Quite a feat

This mural is visible from people heading north on I-229, a great downtown improvement

The city has replaced the original parking lot with a much better parking lot in 2014

Photo #1 - The parking lot, the backside of the Felix Street buildings & the Corby Building
Photo #2 - In 2014, the city hired a person to paint a mural on the buildings backside
Photo #3 - The backside of the remaining Felix Street buildings
Photo #4 - The parking lot, the backside of the Felix Street buildings & the Corby Building




Pawn shops1 Pawn shops2 Pawn shops3 Pawn shops4 Pawn shops5 Edmond St6 Edmond St7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Edmond St15

WRIGHT JEWELRY
502 Edmond
REDWING CAFE
504 Edmond
MADINGER'S SHOE REPAIR
506 Edmond
VICTOR WINTERS - DENTIST
506 ½ Edmond
HEITEN PAWN & JEWELRY
508 Edmond
Circa 1955
MISSOURI LOAN & JEWELRY CO.
508 Edmond
ARCH CABLE,Jr SPORTING GOODS
510 Edmond
CENTRAL CIGAR STORE
512 Edmond
Circa 1955
PALACE SPORTING GOODS & LOANS
514 Edmond

This strip of buildings at one time contained the businesses listed above
These buildings still exist on the south side of Edmond between 5th & 6th Streets but all but one is empty
As you can see, there were numerous pawn shops & jewelry shops occupying these buildings
Before Urban Renewal, there used to be pawn shops on both sides of the street here

Photo #1 - 502 Edmond, Wright Jewelry
Photo #2 - 504 Edmond, Red Wing Cafe
Photo #3 - 506 Edmond, Madinger's Shoe Repair
Photo #3 - 506-1/2 Edmond, Victor Winters Dentist
Photo #4 - 508 Edmond, Heiten Pawn & Jewelry
Photo #4 - 510 Edmond, Arch Cable Jr Sporting Goods
Photo #5 - 510 Edmond, Arch Cable Jr Sporting Goods
Photo #5 - 512 Central Cigar Store
Photo #6 - Looking southwest on Edmond
Photo #7 - Arch Cable newspaper advertisement
Photo #8 - 1977 Newspaper advertisement
Photo #9 - Recent photo looking East on Edmond from 5th St
Photo #10 - Wrights Jewelry was located on the SE corner of 5th & Edmond
Photo #11 - Wrights Jewelry sign on side of building
Photo #12 - Wrights Jewelry sign & clock on corner of building
Photo #13 - Lou Silverglatz's American Pawn Shop
Photo #14 - Wright Jewelry's Neon Sign
Photo #15 - 1960 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photos #1-6 donated by Dick Heath




1 2

Circa 1950
RED WING CAFE
CAROL ANN'S
504 Edmond Street

In the 1960's & 1970's, just about every Western Dairy milkman ate breakfast at Carol Ann's or bought a cup of coffee
Carol Ann's daughter currently owns Adam's grille and Carol Ann works there
Photo #1 - 1950 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - submitted by Rodney Keyes




Original Orpheum Theater Photos
Orpheum Theater1 Orpheum Theater2 Orpheum Theater3 4 5

After Rebuild Orpheum Theater Photos
1-R 2-R 3-R 4-R 5-R 6-R

Circa 1912 & 1933
SAXES ORPHEUM THEATER
ST JOSEPH SHOE REPAIR
MAC'S JEWELRY SHOP
501-505 Edmond

The beautiful Saxes Orpheum Theater was once one of the gems of downtown

It was built in 1912 on the site where the Schlitz Cafe once stood
There was also a lot that was used for sideshows

The theater was brightly lit at night

The Orpheum Theater was located on the northeast corner of 5th & Edmond

In photo #1, the original Townsend, Wyatt and Wall department store at 5th & Felix can be seen in the background
On January 23, 1933 a $35,000 fire severely damaged the theater along with St Joseph Shoe Repair, 505 Edmond, which also shared the structure.
The fire was believed to have been vandalism by disgruntled employees
The theater was rebuilt and reopened in October 1933

The new theater was not as extravagant as the original theater

Mac's Jewelry Shop was located adjacent to the theater

On April 4, 1958, the theater was sold to the Mechanics Bank

On May 15, 1958, it was announced that the theater would be razed

The building is now gone and is currently a parking lot

I only went there a couple times as a child in the 1950's before the razing
It smelled very badly of stale cigar & cigarette smoke
Back then, people were allowed to smoke in the theaters

ORIGINAL PHOTOS BEFORE FIRE
Photo #1 - Circa 1912 - Outside view from 5th & Edmond
Photo #2 - Circa 1912 - Inside view
Photo #3 - Circa 1912 - Outside night view
Photo #4 - Circa 1912 - Edmond Street looking West towards 5th St
Photo #5 - Circa 1912 - Brightly lit Orpheum at night
AFTER FIRE REBUILD PHOTOS
Photo #1-R - 1948 newspaper advertisement
Photo #2-R - October 13, 1933 announcing reopening after fire
Photo #3-R - Circa 1933 - Interior after reopening in 1933 after fire
Photo #4-R - Circa 1958 - As it looked in April 1958
Photo #5-R - May 15, 1958 sold to Mechanics Bank
Photo #6-R - Adv of Orpheum movie showing at reopening on October 14, 1933 after fire




1 2 3

WAKELY'S ORANGE BAR
507 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The building is now gone, currently a parking lot

Mr Wakely had 3 Wakely's Orange Bar locations in downtown in 1950
The stores were located at 507 Edmond, 502 Francis and 704 Edmond
When I was home delivering milk to Mr Wakely in the 1970's, he told me his little stores made him a millionaire

Photo #1 - Very old advertisement - possible when he only had one store
Photo #2 - 1947 advertisement
Photo #3 - 1950 telephone book listings






Circa 1955
AMERICAN LOAN & JEWELRY
509 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Louis Silverglat was the proprietor
The building is now gone, it is currently a parking lot




CENTRAL BARBER SHOP
SILVER SLIPPER SALOON
511 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The building is now gone, it is currently a parking lot




1 2 3 4

THE NEW STEVER POOL HALL
511½ Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The Stever Pool Hall was located upstairs of the Silver Slipper Saloon
The BILLIARDS sign can be seen in photo #2
I used to shoot pool here but was too young to enter the saloon
The building is now gone, it is currently a parking lot

Photo #1 - The New Stever Matchbook
Photo #2 - Parade photo, the BILLIARDS can be seen in the background
Photo #3 - The New Stever trade token
Photo #4 - 1927 St Joseph advertisement




1 Edmond St2

Circa 1947
MEAT SHOP
Circa 1955
PALACE SPORTING GOODS & LOANS
514 Edmond

Photo #1 - 1947 St Joseph News Press advertisement






LEVINS LOAN OFFICE
515 Edmond
LEE BROOMS LUNCH ROOM
515 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Photo: A photographic postcard used in 1910 to advertise Bode Photography
Bode Photography was located upstairs at 515½ Edmond
This buiilding no longer exists, it is currently a parking lot




1 2

Circa 1910
MARTIN BODE PHOTOGRAPHY
515½ Edmond
CIRCA 1920's
BLOOMER-BYARLAY STUDIO
515½ Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Photo #1 - A photographic postcard used in 1910 to advertise Bode Photography
Bode Photography was located upstairs at 515½ Edmond
Photo #2 - In the 1920's, Bloomer-Byarlay Studio occupied the upstairs
This buiilding no longer exists, it is currently a parking lot




FIVE FIFTEEN CIGAR STORE
515 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The building no longer exists, currently a parking lot






Circa 1916
HARTMAN'S
516-518 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Photo - 1916 St Joseph News Press advertisement




Silver Dollar Saloon1 Silver Dollar Saloon2

SILVER DOLLAR SALOON
517 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Once located at 517 Edmond
The building no longer exists, currently a parking lot
Photos submitted by Butch Sollars




MANGANARO BROTHERS ICE CREAM PARLOR
518 Edmond

In 1921, Giuseppe "Joe" Manganaro and his brother had an ice cream parlor at this address
The original building no longer exists
The Katz Drug store appears to have consumed the property
Information submitted by Jeff Soto, Manganaro's great grandson




1 2

MILWAUKEE LUNCH
THE GRAND CAFE
519 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Milwaukee Lunch owners were John & Steve Roumous

Photo #1 - Milwaukee Lunch Circa: 1936
Photo #2 - The Grand Cafe Circa: Unknown

The building no longer exists, currently a parking lot






Circa 1900
FRANK MARCHAINI RESTAURANT
Circa 1930
FULTON FOOD MARKET
520 Edmond Street

The photo was taken in 1930
Makes you wonder where they got the elephant




1 2 3 4 5 6

BEE WAYNE BAKERY
521 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal
2516 Mitchell
221 South 22nd

Bee Wayne bakery was once located on the northwest corner of 6th & Edmond

The downtown Bee Wayne sign is visible in photo #1

This is the only photo I have of Bee Wayne at this location

The downtown building no longer exists, it is currently a city parking lot
In the 1950 City Directory, Bee Wayne Bakery was listed at 2516 Mitchell

In 1935, 2518 Mitchell was Norris Drug Store and later became a Herman Drug Store

Bee Waynes was located on the west side of the drug store as photo #2 shows a bricked up wall and a doorway

The middle door is access to the apartment above

By 1960, the Bee Wayne bakery had moved to 221 South 22nd Street

It was one of St Joseph's most popular bakeries

John (Jake) Jacobs purchased the bakery building on South 22nd and converted into a garage to service his used cars and also served as his office for many years




Katz drug store1 2 Katz drug store3 Katz drug store4 Katz drug store5 Katz drug store6 Katz drug store7 Katz drug store8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Circa 1939
KENNEDY PURE FOOD MART
KATZ DRUG STORE
FABRIC OUTLET
528 Edmond Street

The old Katz Drug Store on the southwest corner of 6th & Edmond is still standing

It is currently occupied by some kind of flea market or antique shop

There were 2 Katz drug stores downtown, 6th & Edmond and 6th & Francis
(Actually there were 3 - when the new one opened, an old one closed)

Photo #1 - 1939 Kennedy Food Opening
Photo #2 - Kennedy Pure Food Mart
Photo #3 - Later became Katz Drugs
Photo #4 - Later became a Fabric Store
Photo #5 - Looking south at Edmond
Photo #6 - Katz Advertisement
Photo #7 - Katz advertisement
Photo #8 - A Katz paper sack
Photo #9 - A Katz paper sack
Photo #10 - Katz advertisement
Photo #11 - Kennedy advertisement
Photo #12 - Katz Advertisements
Photo #13 - Katz decanter of Jim Beam
Photo #14 - Katz Luncheon Menu
Photo #15 - Katz Ice Cream Menu
Photo #16 - Katz Sandwich Menu
Photo #17 - 2013 photo
Photo #18 - Kennedy Pure Food Mart
Photo #19 - 2016 residing of the Katz building






Circa 1920US ARMY RECRUITING STATION
208 South 5th

Photo - St Joseph News Press advertisement

Photo #1 - Nick's Cleaners on Edmond Street
Photo #2 - 1930 City Directory advertisement Circa 1930
Photo #3 - The Edmond Street parking lot where Nick's once existed
Photo #1 donated by Dave Sietzen




1 2 3

NICK'S CLEANERS
212 South 5th
6?? Edmond

In 1930, Nick's Cleaners was located at 212 South 5th, north of Western Dairy

Nick's Cleaners last location was located between 6th & 7th on the north side of Edmond

Nick's Cleaners was owned by the Zaroor family

The location is currently a parking lot

Photo #1 - Nick's Cleaners on Edmond Street
Photo #2 - 1930 City Directory advertisement Circa 1930
Photo #3 - The Edmond Street parking lot where Nick's once existed
Photo #1 donated by Dave Sietzen






SALVATION ARMY CITADEL
215 South 5th

Photo - 1954 St Joseph News-Press newspaper photo






Circa 1879
WESTERN MILK DEPOT
218 South 5th

Would later become Western Dairy and Ice Cream Company
Hannafin & Fenner were partners at this time




5th & Charles1 5th & Charles2 5th & Charles3 5th & Charles4 5th & Charles5 5th & Charles6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13


Circa 1879
WESTERN DAIRY & ICE CREAM CO
JUSTRITE QUALITY CHEKD DAIRY PRODUCTS
218 South 5th

Western Dairy was one of the oldest dairies in St Joseph

It was owned & operated for many years by George & Augie Fenner and numerous other members of the Fenner family

The dairy was a member of the Quality Chekd organization

Their dairy products were trade named Justrite Quality Chekd

The dairy was sold to Highland Dairy in Springfield Missouri

The Fenners continued running the dairy

The retail home delivery ceased in the late 1970's

The dairy was sold to a Hiland dairy in Iowa

All St Joseph dairy operations totally ceased as all products were being trucked in from Iowa
The St Joseph dairy remained unused except for the large cooler

Hiland Dairy eventually razed the dairy & office building

The huge cooler and garage remained for many years thereafter

Hiland Dairy finally razed the remaining structures

It is currently one huge empty lot in which Quality Chekd trailers are parked
Photo #12 - Justrite/Robert's Dairy drivers December 1991
Back Row Left to Right: Melvin Vanmeter, Dave Yocum, Ernie Ueligger, Darrel Trautman, Jim Christ, Bob Holub
Front Row Left to Right: (Little George) George Moore, Bob Erk, Roger Marriott

Photo #1 - The dairy prior to being torn down
Photo #2 - Vintage photo of the dairy
Photo #3 - Retail milk truck #37 used for making home deliveries
Photo #4 - Tray with Justrite advertising
Photo #5 - Justrite quart size milk bottle
Photo #6 - 1937 Justrite half pint size milk bottle
Photo #7 - Justrite Milk token
Photo #8 - Cardboard milk bottle cap
Photo #9 - Retail home delivery order form
Photo #10 - Rick Drozd in his Justrite milkman uniform
Photo #11 - Mary (Merk) Sharp's grandfather with his delivery vehicle in 1901
Photo #12 - 1991 photo of the Wholesale routemen
Photo #13 - 1967 advertisement



CHARLES STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1899
H. B. PERKINS & SON
COAL, WOOD & FEED DEALER
5th & Charles

Located east of and behind the St Charles Hotel between 5th & 6th Streets on the south side of Charles






Circa 1955
UNKNOWN BUSINESSES
Charles Street
Between 5th & 6th Streets

Located east of and behind the St Charles Hotel between 5th & 6th Streets on the south side of Charles




LINDY HOTEL
520 Charles Street




1 2 3 St. Charles Hotel gone4 St. Charles Hotel gone5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

ST CHARLES HOTEL (pre-1937)
HOTEL MILNER (1937-1941)
ST CHARLES HOTEL (1941-2010)
301 Charles Street

During a 5 year period from 1937-1941, the St. Charles Hotel was renamed
HOTEL MILNER, see photo #6

Before 1937 and after 1941, it was always called the St. Charles Hotel

So it changed names for some unknown reason for a brief period in late 1930's

The St Charles Hotel was the last historic downtown hotel that was still standing in 2010

Some scenes in the Paper Moon movie was filmed here in the 1970's

The hotel sat for many years closed and empty

After sitting empty for many years, it was torn down in 2010

ACME Vending company is currently coccupying the address

Photo #1 - As it looked before being sold
Photo #2 - As it looked before being sold
Photo #3 - a 1911 postcard
Photo #4 - 2010 photo, ACME Vending company
Photo #5 - larger photo of the #3
Photo #6 - Milner Hotel between 1937-1941
Photo #7 - St Charles Hotel envelope
Photo #8 - Rear view of the hotel
Photo #9 - Front door prior to being demolished
Photo #10 - Charles Street side
Photo #11 - Charles Street side
Photo #12 - Monogramed entranceway
Photo #13 - Demolition of the hotel
Photo #14 - Demolition of the hotel
Photo #15 - Demolition of the hotel
Photo #16 - Current company located at this address (ACME)
Photo #6 donated by Rick Stafford



SYLVANIE STREET INTERSECTS



1 2

ALLIED GLASS
501 South 5th
(5th & Sylvanie)




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Circa 1923
CHASE & POE CANDY COMPANY
400-424 South 5th Street
3600 Leonard Road
1307 South 59th

(Circa 1923, Walter Boschen)
Contributing building for:
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
Warehouse/Light Manufacturing Facility. Classical Revival. Four story brick building. Bays of upper three stories clearly articulated by concrete pilasters stringcourse lining across windows. Parapet of flat roof decorated by header-outlined brick panels with decorative white geometric tiles.
2 horizontal/2 horizontal-light sash remain on first story; upper story sash sheathed, but openings maintained. Tile infills original fenestration at entry bay in northeast corner; entrance altered, but general configuration maintained. Original entries on northwest and southeast decorated with terra cotta classical elements. Large loading docks on north and west sides.
Chase Candy Company was founded in 1876

Chase Candy Company is the 3rd oldest candy company in the USA

Around 1918, The Chase Cherry Mash was invented

In the early 1920s, Chase built a modern four-story factory in downtown St. Joseph

The building is located on the southwest corner of 5th & Sylvanie

Chase also has a warehouse located at 1109 North 3rd Street

By 1926, after 50 years in business, Chase had made more than 500 different kinds of candies, including an extensive line of candy bars

Companies known to have been in the building at 5th & Sylvanie:
Chase Candy, Dannen Mills & Farmland

In 1957, Dannen Mills purchased the building from Chase

Chase Candy built a new plant at 3600 South Leonard Road then moved once more
Chase Candy Company is currently located in an industrial park at 1307 South 59th Street

Photo #1 - Chase Candy as it once looked at 5th & Sylvanie
Photo #2 - View of the operation in the 1950's & 1960's
Photo #3 - Cherry Mash Candy made by Chase Candy
Photo #4 - Chase Candy tin
Photo #5 - One of Chase's plants located elsewhere
Photo #6 - Chase advertisement
Photo #7 - Chase plant at 1307 South 59th
Photo #8 - an old box of Cherry Mash candy bars
Photo #9 - Old advertisement of the 5th & Sylvanie plant
Photo #10 - 5th & Sylvanie building
Photo #11 - 1957 Newspaper article of Dannen Mills purchasing the building
Photo #12 - Very old advertisement
Photo #13 - Chase plant at 1307 South 59th
Photo #14 - Chase plant when it was at 3600 Leonard Road
Photo #15 - Old photo looking south down 5th Street
Photo #2 was donated by Rick Edwards
His mother is the lady that is standing



ANGLEIQUE STREET INTERSECTS


MESSANIE STREET INTERSECTS



1 2

Circa 1868
J. D. McNEELY WHOLESALE
STAPLE & FANCY GROCERIES
5th & Messanie
521-523 South 5th Street

Building Circa 1868

BUSINESS NAME TIMELINE:
James D McNeely (1869-1900), James D McNeely & Co. (1901-1909)
James D McNeely & Son (1910-1913), James D McNeely & Co. (1914-1918

Existed in St Joseph from 1869-1918

His first location was on the northeast corner of 5th & Messanie
From 1886 to 1918 it was located at 521-523 South 5th Street

The structure no longer exists




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu