South 4th Street
South 4th Street & Connecting Streets



Free website hit counter


Search Engine for St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search

FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 4th STREET
SOUTH 4th STREET BEGINS HERE





Circa 1889
LOOKING SOUTH ON 4th STREET






Circa 1875
UNION COMPANY FURNITURE SHOWROOM
South 4th, between Felix & Edmond

The Union Company Furniture was located on 4th Street between Felix and Edmond
The Union Company Furniture factory located was located on the corner of 7th & Edmond
Exact addresses are unknown





Circa 1899
M. J. DONEGAN HARDWARE
GOLDSBERRY & SONS RUBBER STAMPS
101 South 4th






Circa 1886
ST JOSEPH TRANSFER COMPANY
103 South 4th

Photo: 1886 Advertisement for St Joseph Transfer & the Pony Express stables






Circa 1955
NATIONAL CASH REGISTER
ST VINCENT DE PAUL RETAIL STORE
105 South 4th




1 2

Circa 1863
VOSS BROTHERS WALLPAPER & PAINT
(Within The Boder Building)
107-109 South 4th




1 2 3

Circa 1899
PEOPLE'S FURNITURE & CARPET
110 South 4th
Circa 1907
MO VALLEY GRAIN COMPANY
110 South 4th
Circa 1929
M. J. DONEGAN HARDWARE
110 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1899
M. W. JACKSON PLUMBING COMPANY
111 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal




REES PRINTING COMPANY
112 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2 3 4 5

>
Circa 1891
FREDERICK F. NEUDORFF'S HARDWARE
114 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Photo #5 - May 1940 - the passing away memorial notice of Mr Neudorff





Circa 1890
BATCHELLER WESTERN GUN WORKS
115 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1950
ROBIDOUX PRINTING COMPANY
Circa 1955
ANCHOR SERUM DISTRIBUTORS
116-118 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal






PAUL BLOCK FURNITURE (STORAGE)
117 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This building was located just north of Garland's Tavern




1 2 3 4

COOKMAN LITHO PRINTING
119 South 4th
CRYSTAL CAFE
119 South 4th
JUDY'S CAFE
119 South 4th
GARLAND'S TAVERN
119 South 4th
SCHLITZ CAFE
119 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This business was located on the northeast corner of 4th & Edmond
It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal

#1 - Looking north from 4th & Edmond - Garland's Tavern, Schlitz Cafe, Block Storage & Voss Wallpaper
#2 - Garland's Tavern - 4th Street on left, Edmond Street on bottom right
#3 - Looking west on Edmond: Garland's Tavern, another tavern, barber shop & Paul Block's Furniture at far right side
#4 - Looking west on Edmond: Garland's Tavern, another tavern, barber shop & Paul Block's Furniture at far right side
Photos #1,2 & 3 donated by Dave Sietzen




IMMEL AUTO SERVICE
120 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1899
BURGESS-FRAZER HARDWARE
210-214 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2 3

Circa 1881/1887 (Altered)
SAMUEL S. ALLEN GROCERY
213-215 South 4th
Circa 1953
OWEN IMPLEMENT COMPANY
213 South 4th



1 2 3 3

Circa 1887
JAMES LUNDON LEATHER GOODS
314 South 4th
Circa 1955
CLARK DELIVERY COMPANY
314-316 South 4th
CLARK MOTORCYCLE SALES
314-316 South 4th
BRINKS
314-316 South 4th

(circa 1887)
Contributing building for:
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
Small Scale Commercial Block. Italianate influence. Two story brick building.
Parapet of flat roof lined with brick dentils and accented in center by metal sunburst diadem. Center second story entry with tall transom flanked by 1-light plate-glass storefronts with separate centered entries capped by similarly tall transoms. Elongated, cast metal Doric colonettes frame entries; continuous projecting metal storefront cornice.
1/1 sash on second story with arcaded soldier course round arches joined by blind transoms and continuous stone sill. Rear with one story brick extension in common bond; shed roof.
The water permit for this property was taken out in 1887 by Joseph Schenecker whose name appeared also on the Buchanan Ownership List, circa 1890. It seems to have been investment property for him, as he did not reside here. He was either a grocer or affiliated with the McCord and Collins Company
This well intact example of Victorian Eclecticism would contribute significantly to the establishment fo an historic district in this area of high quality 19th and 20th Century commercial structures






Circa 1875
UNION COMPANY FURNITURE SHOWROOM
South 4th, between Felix & Edmond

The Union Company Furniture factory located on a corner at 7th & Edmond
Exact addresses are unknown


EDMOND STREET INTERSECTS





ABE'S BARBER SHOP
POD'S TAVERN
400 Block of Edmond







Circa 1899
H. A. KOTSCH
FINE LIQUORS & CIGARS
4th & Edmond







Circa 1860
ED T. PEARSON DRY GOODS
Southeast corner of 4th & Edmond





1 2

Circa 1868
JULES ROBIDOUX HOME
4th & Edmond
PIONEER CLOTHING COMPANY
4th & Edmond
PAUL BLOCK USED FURNITURE
4th & Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Exact address unknown
This was once Jules Robidoux's home
It was located on the north side of Edmond between 4th & 5th Streets
In 1868, Joseph Robidoux's funeral was held here
Pioneer Clothing Company had a store front
The last owner was Paul Block who sold used furniture for many years at this location
The structure was torn down in the 1970's during Urban Renewal




CENTRAL HOTEL
CRYSTAL BAR
401 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1854/1954/1955 (Altered)
BUFFALO SALOON
402-414 Edmond
Circa 1951
BLOCK'S SUPER DISCOUNT STORE INC.
402-414 Edmond

There have been commercial buildings on this site since 1883, the most famous of which was the Buffalo Saloon at 412 Edmond, reported to have been established in 1854 and operated into the 1940's. Its facade was drastically altered in the 1954-55 reconstruction of 402-412 Edmond, however, remnants of the tavern's segmentally arched lintels can be seen from the alley on the east. The present facades lack sufficient architectural interest to contribute to the establishment of an historic district in this area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century commercial buildings
Leon Block was the proprietor
I'm sure everybody remembers Block's Army Surplus at 4th & Edmond
He had the best price in town for Levi jeans, canvas, boots, sleds, just about anything you would possibly want

Photo #1 - 1951 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - Block's Army Surplus at 4th & Edmond Streets
Photo #3 - Block's Army Surplus at 4th & Edmond Streets
Photo #4 - 1955 News Press photo - ceiling caved in







Circa 1925
ST JOSEPH ARMY & NAVY STORE
405 Edmond Street

Photo - 1925 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2

Circa 1950
HOCKMAN's ARMY SURPLUS
407 Edmond Street
Circa 1955
BLOCK's FURNITURE
407-413 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal




RINGER FURNISHED ROOMS
407½ Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal




1 2 3

Circa 1932
LEO EPSTEIN & COMPANY
409 Edmond Street
Circa 1951
PARKER HARDWARE & PLUMBING
409 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

It is now a parking lot which was created during Urban Renewal
Photo #1 - 1932 Leo Epstein News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1951 Parker Hardware News Press advertisement




Circa 1900
FRANK MARCHAINI RESTAURANT
BLOCK'S ARMY SURPLUS
408-410 Edmond Street






Circa 1906
SCHNAITMAN BROTHERS HARNESS SHOP
412-414 Edmond

This was located at the same address as the Apex-Buffalo Saloon for reasons unknown

Photo - Circa 1906 Schnaitman Brothers Harness Shop, name unknown




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1854
APEX-BUFFALO SALOON
412-414 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

In 1854, Fred Stephfen and George Bode founded the Buffalo Saloon at 412 Edmond Street
According to the 1953 city directory, there was also an entrance from 4th street

Photo #1 - Newspaper article about the saloon
Photo #2 - An Apex-Buffalo token
Photo #3 - Newspaper article
Phoro #4 - Advertising Baseball score keeper
Photo #5 - Inside view of Baseball score keeper
Photo #6 - Matchbook cover
Photo #7 - Apex-Buffalo Saloon recent photo




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1905
THE PEOPLES GROCERY
413 Edmond Street
ZIDELL BROTHERS DISTRIBUTING
413 Edmond Street
Circa 1954
DUKE BLOCK'S FURNITURE
413 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This was a furniture store owned & operated by Paul Block
There may have been other relatives in this business with Paul Block
It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal
Photo #1 - 1960 St Joseph News-Press advertisement
Photo #4 - 1905 Peoples Grocery News-Press advertisement
Photo #5 - 1954 Blocks News-Press advertisement






Circa 1919
JOHN JOSEPH CAFE
JOHN JOSEPH RESTAURANT
415 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This was a small cafe located at 415 Edmond
The cafe was built in 1919
They offered hamburgers for 25 cents and you could get a soda for 5 cents
All of the buildings on the north side of this block of Edmond Street became one large parking lot during Urban Renewal
Listed as John Joseph Restaurant in 1953 city directory




1 2 3 4

Circa 1927
ELLINGER SPORTING GOODS
416 Edmond Street
Circa 1953
BLEDSOE LINOLEUM & CARPET
416 Edmond Street

In 1927 this was Ellinger Sporting Goods
In 1931, Ellinger moving to 815 Frederick Avenue
In 1932, Ellinger moving to 811 Frederick Avenue
NOTE:The 1932 address change was a misprint
Ellinger moved to 815 Frederick in 1932
In 1953 this was Bledsoe Linoleum & Carpet
Photo #1 - 1927 Ellinger St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1931 Ellinger St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - June 1932 Ellinger St Joseph News Press advertisement






CHANDLEE PAINT & GLASS COMPANY
417 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Chandlee had a 2nd store at 503 South 6th Street
Photo - 1917 advertisement




Circa 1870
COX SEED COMPANY
Circa 1900
KOBLITZ & COX SEED COMPANY
Circa 1955
ROLLER EQUIPMENT CO
418 Edmond Street

Mr S. N. Cox established the business in 1870
Mr Koblitz, age 47, a native of Germany, came to St Joseph in 1888
In 1900,Koblitz joined Cox in the business
The seed company began in a house located at 418 Edmond in 1870
They had a large supply of all kinds of seeds, fertilizers and chicken feed





PASHIK BROKERAGE CO
418 Edmond Street






Circa 1929
AUGUST SCHWIEN STOVE COMPANY
419 Edmond Street
Circa 1953
TWENTIETH CENTURY PARKING LOT
419 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal




MISSOURI LOAN
420 Edmond Street






RHODES BARBER SHOP
421 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

All of the buildings on the north side of this block of Edmond Street became one large parking lot during Urban Renewal






Circa 1905
GOLDEN EAGLE CLOTHING
422 Edmond




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1885
LYON & JUDSON HARDWARE
423-425 Edmond
Circa 1890
WELCH & PARRISH HARDWARE
423-425 Edmond
Circa 1899
H. ETTENSON CLOTHING
Men's, Boy's & Children's Clothing
425 Edmond
(Corner of 5th & Edmond)
Demolished during Urban Renewal

All of the buildings on the north side of this block of Edmond Street became one large parking lot during Urban Renewal




JUNCTION TAVERN
424 Edmond Street




1 2

Circa 1905
MISSOURI PACIFIC TICKET OFFICE
JUNCTION CIGAR STORE
426 Edmond Street






Circa 1911
SELF & BINSWANGER LIQUOR
427-A Edmond Street




BROWN DERBY CAFE
428 Edmond Street




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1875
STUDEBAKER & WELCH CARRIAGE COMPANY
APEX-BUFFLAO SALOON
205-207 South 4th

(circa 1875)
Contributing building for:
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
Small Scale Commercial Block. Italianate influence.
Two story brick building; third story removed circa 1949.
First story with well proportioned arcade springing from stone Doric pilasters; voussoirs of arcade alternate dark brick and light stone. Round arch repeated on second story in windows capped by soldier brick round arches accented with keystones. Two wide stone stringcourses. Openings infilled, but maintained, with slightly recessed concrete block. Garage door in third bay of first story. Rear (east) facade with large square windows infilled with glass block on first story. Unobtrusive loss of their floor does not diminish the building's ability to contribute to the historic district.
Studebaker Brothers, wagon manufacturers and dealers headquartered in South Bend, Indiana, were listed in the City Directory as early as 1868, however, the company under the name of Studebaker and Welch first occupied this building in 1876. Attached please find an etching of the building in 1887. The third story was most likely removed in 1949 when a building permit for fire damage was taken out.
Although this structure has been drastically altered, the architectural remnants are suffient to recall the original which housed a business important to the history of St Joseph's developement

The Studebaker & Welch Carriage Company from 1877-1887
The building later housed Apex-Buffalo Saloon
Photo #1 - Circa 1877
Photo #2 - Circa 1882
Photo #3 - Circa 1878
Photo #4 - Circa 1899
Photo #7 - Circa 1887




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1896
CHESMORE-EASTLAKE MERCHANTILE
206 South 4th
Circa 1905
H. EHRLICH & SONS
206 South 4th
Circa 1920
CARDER WHOLESALE GROCERY COMPANY

206 South 4th
Circa 1960's
POTTER MATTRESS & BOX SPRINGS
206 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2 3 4

Circa 1861/1863/1924 (Altered)
SUKOW & HOLSTEIN PLUMBING & HEATING
209 South 4th Street
Circa 1970
WHITAKER CABLE CORP STORAGE
209/213 South 4th

This building appears to have been altered dramatically from its original design. The original front might have been a double storefront, with both halves looking like the one on the south. This storefront has east metal panelled pilasters and wooden casing for the plateglass windows and double hung doors recessed in the center. The garage door might have been added in 1924 when a building permit was requested.






Circa 1883
SCHULTZ & HOSEA COMPANY

210-214 South 4th
LIEBLING FURNITURE
210-214 South 4th
ROSS-FRAZER SUPPLY
210-214 South 4th
Circa 1970
BLOCKS STORAGE
210-214 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Shultz and Hosea Co. dealing in wholesale hardware was first listed at this address in 1883. The business was established in 1865 by C.H. Shultz and Isaac T. Rosea.
Despite a missing cornice, this well intact Italianate structure would contribute importantly to the establishment of an historic district in this area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century commercial buildings





MIDWEST COUNTER TOPS
215 South 4th




1 2 3 4

Circa 1882
B. D. BUFORD & COMPANY
Mfgrs of Plows, Cultivators & Etc
216 South 4th
Circa 1900
JOHNSON-WOODBURY HAT COMPANY
216 South 4th
Circa 1924
THE DOLAN MERCHANTILE COMPANY
216 South 4th
Circa 1955
TRI-STATE INSULATION, WINDOWS & AWNINGS
216 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1955
COMBE PRINTING COMPANY
217 South 4th




1 2

Circa 1892
ROSSI SADDLERY COMPANY
222-224 South 4th Street

Established in 1892
John Rossi was quite the name in saddles in the early 1900's
Rossi was a supplier of leather products to the military during WWI
He was commissioned as a Captain in the ordnance department
He supplied saddles, leather slings, etc.
John Rossi was bought out by the Wyeth Company, who was a competitor at the time
In all of their ads in the leather and saddlery publications, no mention of an address
Saddlery Company Catalogue Number 5 contained 363 pages, printed in 1904
It includes illustrations and prices for horse equipment, supplies & saddlery

Photo #1 - Circa 1927
Photo #2 - Rossi Saddlery Company Catalogue Number 5
The above information was researched and provided by David Kneib




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Circa 1874
ST JOSEPH GAZETTE
222-224 South 4th
ST JOSEPH TENT & AWNING
222-224 South 4th
BODYGUARD MANUFACTURING
222-224 South 4th
APPLIANCE MAN RENTALS
222-224 South 4th

(circa 1874)
Contributing building for:
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
Small Scale Commercial Block. Italianate influence.
Three story corner brick building with cornice removed.
Second and third stories divided into two bays by raised center pier.
Third story with three very tall round arch 4/4 sash per bay with blind arch transoms, limestone round arch hoods with keystones, and spandrels with panels. Second story with three large rectangular windows with brick flat arches with drops per bay infilled with concrete and glass block, but openings maintained. Part of original storefront appears to remain under present shake-shingle "mansard roof" canopy and vertical wood siding, as suggested by quoins exposed on southeast corner.
Details return on south elevation; entry set in "Gibbsian" surround with flanking quoins and arch above with voussoirs alternately raised. Similar rear (west) historic wing with dentiled cornice; some 6/6 unadorned windows remain intact.
This building was constructed in 1874 for St. Joseph's first newspaper, The St. Joseph Gazette. The city editor for the Gazette at that time was a famous Missourian, Eugene Field, who went on to become known for his prolific works as "the children's poet."
Over the years it was used for the sale of agricultural implements, carriages, saddles, tents and awnings, and for a time was used for light manufacturing. The building is a good example of the type of commercial building that made St. Joseph the wholesale mercantile center of the United States during the latter half of the 19th century.
In 1845, St Joseph Gazette was founded by William Ridenbaugh
In 1875, the Gazette newspaper office moved to this location
In 1875, Eugene Field served as the Gazette editor
Mr Field was married to local resident Julia Comstock
Other businesses that were at this address include:
  • Queen City Carriage Company
  • Rossi Saddlery
  • St Joseph Tent & Awning
  • Bodyguard (maker of Firemen's clothing)
  • Appliance Man Rental

  • The 1991 survey lists this building as "contributing" on the National Register of Historic Places
    It is in the South Fourth Street Historic District
    St. Joseph Tent and Awning along with Bodyguard occupied this building for many years
    St Joseph Tent & Awning consumed the 1st floor, Bodyguard was on the 2nd floor

    Bodyguard Manufacturing made fireman coats, pants and steel insoles

    In 1963, I worked part time after my college classes for Bodyguard making steel insoles for fireman boots & painting names on fireman coats

    Appliance Man Rentals occupied this building in later years and has remodeled the building

    Photo #1 - Circa 1875 - St Joseph Gazette
    Photo #2 - Circa 1960's - St Joseph Tent & Awning
    Photo #3 - Circa 1995 - Appliance Man Rentals
    Photo #4 - Circa 2013 - Appliance Man Rentals




    1 2 3

    Circa 1902
    COMBE PRINTING COMPANY
    223 South 4th

    (Circa 1902, E.J. Eckel)
    Contributing building for:
    NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
    This building was built in 1902 for the Combe Printing Company which printed the telephone and city directories before the Depression. It was designed by the prominent St. Joseph Beaux Arts trained architect, E.J. Eckel. Large boxed cornices appeared on the front or west section and the east section in the photograph of this building in the 1972 Historical Inventory. They have since been removed. Although this structure has lost its cornices, it retains many original architectural features, including the storefront, and would contribute significantly to the establishment of a historic district in the surrounding area of high qualitv 19th and 20th Century buildings.
    Large Scale Commercial Block. Commercial style. Four story brick building.
    West (6 bays) and south (9 bays) street facades organized by grid pattern of paired windows in each bay articulated by raised brick pilasters. Horizontal definitions created on first story by heavy molded coursing running along storefront and wrapping around south side; second story by subtle coursing between pilasters; third story by corbeling at top. Fourth story windows differentiated by round arches forming arcade pattern which contrasts with segmental arches found on lower stories. Cornice detail missing.
    Windows sheathed in fiberglass, but openings maintained. Storefront divided into two bays: north bay with central recessed double 1- light doors with large transom flanked by 1-light sash with both narrow and square transoms; south bay with six 1-light sash with both narrow and square transoms; metal lintel/frieze and raised metal storefront cornice across both bays. Basement story with large window well exposed by sidewalk setback (about 4 feet from building plane); metal railing around window well. Large spiral fire-escape between third and fourth bays of south elevation.

    Photo #1 - Combe Printing Company - 223 South 4th
    Photo #2 - Building addresses as looking from left to right in photo:
    205-207 South 4th (far left); 209-211 South 4th (left)
    213-215 South 4th (center); 223 South 4th(right)




    CHARLES STREET INTERSECTS





    Circa 1899
    QUEEN CITY CARRIAGE WORKS
    BUGGY & WAGON MANUFACTURER
    224 South 4th






    Circa 1899
    TULLAR & TULLAR
    LIVERY & BOARDING STABLE
    Corner of 4th & Charles






    OLE MAN JACKSON FURNITURE
    4th & Charles

    Ole Man Jackson had 2 stores, his 1st store was located at 4th & Charles

    His 2nd store was at 307-311 South 6th (see 6th Street for the photo)

    Ole Man Jackson can be seen lounging in the recliner in this photo

    The photo was taken around 1962 on 5th Street just south of Edmond during the Apple Blossom Parade

    Rick Stafford's sister, Carol (Stafford) Kramer, is the girl standing up showing off the Westinghouse refrigerator

    Jackson and Rick's father were very close friends and he wanted Carol to be the "Westinghouse lady" in the parade

    Ole man Jackson Furniture was not the same as the Jackson furniture store that was on South 6th

    Ole Man Jackson also had another store in the 1970's south of Betty Jackson's store next to the Greyhound depot at 6th and Charles

    In the 1960's Ole Man Jackson had the largest furniture store in Northwest MO

    Photo donated by Rick Stafford





    Circa 1920
    HECKEL GARAGE
    301 South 4th
    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    Contributing building for:
    NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
    A livery was located here as early as 1883 and remained on this site until at least 1897. The present facade was constructed in 1920. The building pemit was in the name of Charles Schneider, who did not have a buainess here and might bave been a pharmacist practicing in a different part of the city.
    This structure is not architecturally outstanding in it'self, however, its scale and use would be compatible with the establishment of an historic district in this area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century commercial structures
    This property was owned by Richmond Screw and Anchor in 1972
    Front (west) facade divided into four bays by raised brick piers which break through parapet of flat roof. Parapet's concrete "spandrels" framed by soldier course brick. Metal garage door in second bay from north emphasized by taller section of parapet. North bay with central pedestrian entry with transom flanked by two storefront windows with triple transoms, now blocked.






    Circa 1920/1952 (Altered)
    COLLINS SERVICE STATION
    302 South 4th or 312 Charles
    Circa 1952
    TEXACO SERVICE STATION
    302 South 4th or 312 Charles
    Circa 1955
    BILL SCHULER SERVICE STATION
    302 South 4th or 312 Charles
    Demolished during Urban Renewal
    The original service station building is a one-story rectangular block with a brickfaced base and stucco above, capped with a flat roof. The plate-glass windows are rectilinear and unadorned. The entries are surmounted by transoms now enclosed. The more recent two-door garage was constructed of concrete blocks and has a flat roof.
    The original service station building was constructed in 1920 by the Collins Oil Co. for $1,000. The garage was built in 1952 for $3,000. The service station is an amenity for the area and the immediate access for the interstate highway ramp; however, architecturally, this station is a non-contributing nember of this historic 19th Century wholesale and commercial area south of the central business district.


    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

    Circa 1882
    J. H. ROBISON HEAVY HARDWARE
    306 South 4th
    Circa 1902
    JAMES R. HOPKINS ORIENTAL WARES
    306 South 4th
    Circa 1920
    JAMES R. HOPKINS ORIENTAL WARES
    217 South 4th
    Circa 1960
    HILAND DAIRY (WESTERN DAIRY) WAREHOUSE
    306 South 4th
    Destroyed by Fire in 1981
    The J. H. Robison Heavy Hardware building was constructed in 1882

    In 1902, Mr James R. Hopkins founded the J R Hopkins Oriental Wares at 306 South 4th in the J H Robison Heavy Hardware building

    The business was later moved to the huge warehouse at 217 South 4th

    (northeast corner of 4th & Charles, all windows are now covered green)

    By 1920, Mr Hopkins business had grown so well, the business was relocated to the northwest corner of 4th & Francis (we know it as the Big Smith building)

    They occupied the Big Smith building for several decades between 1920 and 1950

    In 1942, the Hopkins firm was shipping goods to 38 states

    At one time, Mr. Hopkins was listed as the largest Oriental importer in the USA

    In the 1960's, when I worked for Western Dairy, which was owned by Hiland Dairy in Springfield MO, we stored milk cases, milk bottles, milk boxes and other equipment in the building at 306 South 4th

    In 1981, the building was destroyed by fire

    Photo #1 - This was J R Hopkins Oriental Wares first location
    Photo #2 - Interior photo of their showroom at 4th & Francis
    Photo #3 - Front cover of their catalog when located in the Big Smith building
    Photo #4 - Modern photo of the Big Smith building
    Photo #5 - James Robert Hopkins (1868-1952)
    Photo #6 - Painted on name of J R Hopkins is visible on side wall
    Photo #1 - J. H. Robison Heavy Hardware building (constructed in 1882)
    Photo #2 - 1981 photo of the building on fire
    Photo #3 - 1981 St Joseph News-Press article about the fire
    Photos donated by Blair Carmichael (Great Grandson of James R Hopkins)




    BROOM FACTORY
    PRODUCTS FOR THE BLIND
    NW MO ASSOCIATION FOR THE BLIND
    307 South 4th




    2

    Circa 1912
    St Joseph Fire Station
    309 South 4th
    Richmond Screw Company
    309 South 4th
    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    This structure was built in 1912 as a fire station for the City of St. Joseph. The price listed on the building permit was $7,779.85. The stylized classical influence of the Beaux Arts school apparent on the front facade renders this structure solidly contributing member of the historical grouping of high quality 19th and early 20th Century commercial buildings in this area.






    VACANT IN 1953
    310 South 4th
    Demolished during Urban Renewal




    1 2 3

    Circa 1927
    HAAS IBSEN'S GARAGE
    315 South 4th Street
    Circa 1955
    RICHMOND SCREW & ANCHOR
    315 South 4th Street
    Demolished in July or August 2015

    This structure was built in 1927 as a garage for the commercial enterprise of Haas Ibsen. Its scale and building material are compatible with the establishment of an historic district in this area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century commercial buildings
    This building was razed in late 2015 (July or August)
    A new very large building that fills the entire square block has now been constructed on this site
    I have no idea who or what owns this building
    There are no signs visible




    1 2 3

    Circa 1890
    CASPER WECKERLE GROCERY
    318-320 South 4th
    JOHNSON & JOHNSON
    RESTAURANT EQUIPMENT
    318-320 South 4th
    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    This building was constructed in 1890 by Casper Weckerle, a grocer, who maintained his busineess and residence for years preceeding and subsequent to 1890 at 322-324 South 4th Street directly south. This structure retains the original storefronts and fenestration on the second story which would render it strongly as a contributing member of established historic district in this area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century commercial buildings




    1 2
    Circa 1879
    CASPER WECKERLE GROCERY
    318-320 South 4th
    COOKMAN INSTANT PRINTING
    322 South 4th
    Demolished during Urban Renewal




    1 2

    Circa 1900
    CUDAHY PACKING COMPANY
    323 South 4th
    Circa 1921
    SWIFT & COMPANY
    323 South 4th
    Circa 1955
    LEONARD WHOLESALE MEATS
    323 South 4th
    Demolished during Urban Renewal

    This building was constructed in 1900 for the Cudahy Packing Co. The price listed on the building permit was $5,600. The front facade was altered in 1936 by Swift and Co. which alluded to the building as a"terminal warehouse".
    The price listed on the permit for the remodeling was $1.400.
    The original building has been severely altered and would in its present state, contribute only minimally to the establishment of an historic district in this area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century commercial buildings.



    SYLVANIE STREET INTERSECTS





    Circa 1926
    I & M MACHINE SHOP
    401 South 4th Street
    CENTRAL STATES GROCERY
    401 South 4th Street

    This structure was built in 1926 and 1927 as an oil station and garage. The building permit was in the name of "Basket Store" and the price listed in 1926 was $4,000. This modern style structure is later in period than the surrounding high quality 19th and 20th Century commercial buildings, however, it is compatible in use and scale and would contribute to the establishment of an historic district in the area.
    This building no longer exists, it has been replaced with another building




    1 2 3 4 5 6

    Circa 1889
    PAKER & DONOVAN
    409-411 South 4th Street
    Circa 1899
    NELSON MORRIS PACKING COMPANY
    409-411 South 4th Street
    SCHNIETTER RADIO WAREHOUSE
    409-411 South 4th Street
    SCHNIETTER FIREWORKS COMPANY
    409-411 South 4th Street
    SCHNIETTER LUMBER WORKS
    409-411 South 4th Street

    (Circa 1889)
    Contributing building for:
    NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
    The 1889 building permit for this building was in the name of Paker and Donovan. It was listed in the City Directory for the amount of $11 ,000. In the 1899 City Directory, the office of the Nelson Morris Packing Co. was listed at 409 s. 4th and the city office of the Swift Packing Co. was listed at 411 S. 4th.
    This outstanding example of the Richardsonian Jomanesque style would contribute significantly to the establishment of an historic district in this area of high quality 19th and early 20th Century commercial structures
    Small Scale Commercial Block. Romanesque Revival influence.
    Two story, two bay building with raised sandstone watertable.
    Front facade dominated by two wide round arches on second story springing from sandstone carved capitals atop brick piers flanked by elongated, slender brick engaged columns. Composition characteristic of Romanesque style, as are organic motifs in the stone carving (north corn, center wheat, south pumpkin).
    Arches frame multi-partite round arched windows with simple brick spandrel on second story and two tripartite wooden storefronts. Each storefront has a line of transoms (three), plate glass sash (two), and entry (one) set in reveals on southern bay of each storefront. Rear elevation (east) with rectilinear windows with splayed lintels of brick.

    Photo #1 - Photo when Schnietter occupied the building
    Photo #2 - Current condition of the building
    Photo #3 - Current condition of the building
    Photo #4 - Schnietter Radio Company advertisement
    Photo #5 - 409 South 4th left side of photo
    Photo #6 - 409 South 4th St




    1 2 3 4 5 6

    Circa 1910
    ARMOR & COMPANY OFFICE
    413 South 4th Street
    Circa 1940
    WING PRINTING
    413 South 4th Street

    (Circa 1910)
    This building was constructed in 1910 for Armour and Company as an office. It retains original brick corbelling and fenestration which would contribute to the establishment of an historic district in this area of fine 19th and early 20th Century commercial buildings
    Service-Related Facility. No stylistic influence. Two story brick building with high stone watertable.
    Parapet ornamented by stone cornice and richly textured brick corbeling with rhythmic raised brick notches which drop down to accent six 1/1 window bays of second story. Entry with corbeling and 1-light transom above set off-center to south to accommodate wide garage door on north half. Replacement tripartite window in extreme south bay of first story of facade.
    "Wing Printing Co." neon swinging sign extends from building (c. 1940)
    Logan Wing, Sr founded the Wing Printing company
    The business was passed down to Kenneth Wing and then to his son, Roger Wing
    Roger Wing currently owns Wing Printing

    Photo #1 - looking south on 4th Street
    Photo #2 - Looking North on 4th Street in 2002
    Photo #2 - There is a sign painted on the lower floor for Cookman Litho Printing
    Photo #3 - 1960's to 1970's photo
    Photo #4 - 413 South 4th (center)
    Photo #5 - 1974 St Joseph News Press advertisement




    1 2 3 4 5 6

    Circa 1907
    HUNDLEY DRY GOODS COMPANY
    417-423 South 4th
    GEORGE KENNARD GROCER COMPANY
    417-423 South 4th
    THE CARPET MILL
    417-423 South 4th
    CARDER GROCERY COMPANY
    417-423 South 4th
    WESTERN CHEMICAL
    417-427 South 4th Street

    (Circa 1907)
    Contributing building for:
    NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
    This structure was built in 1907 and used by the Hundley Dry Goods Company. The building permit was in the name of John Donovan. President of the St Joseph Light, Heat and Power Company, and the price listed for the building was $35,OOO. Although the original fenestration is sheathed by corrugation, original corbelling and window treatment the ground and fourth stories remain
    Warehouse/Light Manufacturing Facility. Classical Revival influence. Four story brick building. Flat roof with corbeled cornice and crenelated parapet on front (west) facade; tile coping. Merlons accent bays articulated by piers rising from second to fourth stories terminating in wide brick segmental arches with keystones and shared imposts. Sheathing covers second to fourth story fenestration, but rhythm of bays maintained. First story serves as a base to treatment above, and is demarcated by dentilated stringcourse. Tripartite windows (6/6, 9/9, 6/6) on first story capped by flat arches with raised brick keystones; recessed off-center (to south) entry, slightly altered. South elevation with similar detailing and concrete loading dock with metal canopy along east half.
    Western Chemical was once owned by Henry Garvey and was a thriving business
    The building is currently vacant and the inside is in horrible dispair

    Photo #1 - as it looked in the 1970's
    Photo #2 - interior view taken by Keith Wing in 2014
    Photo #3 - interior view taken by Keith Wing in 2014



    ANGELIQUE STREET INTERSECTS





    Circa 1913
    HORIGAN SUPPLY COMPANY
    4th & Angelique Street

    Photo - 1913 St Joseph News Press Advertisement






    Circa 1927
    ABC Bandag Retreading
    406-408 Angelique Street

    ABC Bandag was a big retread franchise owned by ABF Trucking out of Arkansas. It eventually became ABC Treadco.
    406-408 Angelique Street was a service-related facility (garage) in the Spanish Eclectic style constructed in 1927. Details include variegated tile pent roof parapet and corner pedestals with tile coping and swirl-stucco covered walls. This is the only extant example of this architectural style in the district




    Circa 1893
    PENNY & PENNY HAY & GRAIN
    4th & Angelique

    Smith Penny and B.L. Penny Hay & Grain Company began in 1893
    The hay, grain and feed company was located on the corner of 4th & Angelique
    It was located in a 4000 square foot brick building constructed in 1893
    The building no longer exists




    BRUMMER & WALDROFF GAS STATION
    501-503 South 4th Street




    OLSON TIN SHOP
    511 South 4th Street






    Circa 1923
    St Joseph Ice Cream Company
    513-515 South 4th Street
    VACANT IN 1953
    513 South 4th Street




    FAIRBANKS PARKING LOT
    521 South 4th Street




    JOHNSTON CAFE
    523 South 4th Street



    MESSANIE STREET INTERSECTS



    1 2

    Circa 1880
    WILLIAM SIDENFADEN UNDERTAKER
    WM,JR & EDWARD SIDENFADEN UNDERTAKERS
    602-604 South 4th Street
    Corner of 4th & Messanie Streets




    1 2 3 4 5

    Circa late 1800's
    LIZZIE KING HOUSE
    House of ill Repute
    124 South 2nd Street
    415 Messanie

    Miss Lizzie King, St. Joseph's famous madam
    Lizzie King was a famous "Lady of the Evening" in St. Joseph in the late 1800's
    Below is the famous Lizzie King Poem by M. Dailey in 8/17/1911

    Lizzie King Lizzie King had a heart of gold
    A hooker by trade or so we're told
    She'd show up when the guys got paid
    With a surrey of girls - the guys got laid
    She even had brass tokens made
    "Good for 50 cents in trade"
    And when the police came around
    They didn't come to shut her down
    From her bawdy house on Market Square
    Lizzie always gave her share
    She'd donate money - donate clothes
    For the poor and indisposed
    No - Lizzie King of St. Joe fame
    Must have been one classy dame

    Photo #1 - St Joseph News-Press drawing of the house
    Photo #2 - Front side of Lizzie King trade token
    Photo #3 - Back side of Lizzie King trade token
    Photo #3 - Lizzie King photograph
    Photo #4 - Photograph of Lizzie King and her daughter





    JENNIES LUNCH
    602 South 4th Street
    Circa 1949
    QUALITY OIL
    602 South 4th Street
    QUALITY OIL SERVICE STATION
    602 South 4th Street




    LOCUST STREET INTERSECTS



    WOODBURY CHEMICAL
    702 South 4th






    RUDY-PATRICK SEED COMPANY
    710 South 4th
    HUNDLEY-FRAZER DRY GOODS
    710 South 4th




    JOHN J MEIERS WHOLESALE GROCERY
    720 South 4th




    MARY STREET INTERSECTS



    1 2 3

    Circa 1893
    FARBER SEED COMPANY
    725-729 South 4th Street
    Circa 1955
    KELLOG-KELLY SEED COMPANY
    725-729 South 4th

    Farber Seed was established 1893
    The building no longer exists, only a concrete parking lot remains





    Circa 1899
    GRAHAM & STRINGFELLOW IMPLIMENT CO
    731-733 South 4th Street

    1899 Advertisement



    Circa 1900
    MOKASKA MILLS
    745 South 4th




    RESEARCH LABRATORIES
    743-749 South 4th




    1 2

    Circa 1900
    MISSOURI IRON AND METAL COMPANY
    750 South 4th Street
    ADVANTAGE METALS RECYCLING
    750 South 4th Street

    A metal recycling company currently owns this property
    Photo #1 - 1966 News-Press Advertisement
    Photo #2 - 1967 News-Press Advertisement


    PATEE STREET INTERSECTS





    Circa 1932
    JAMES POULTRY COMPANY
    4th & Patee






    Circa 1939
    JAMES OIL COMPANY
    802 South 4th




    ST JOSEPH TERMINAL OFFICE & FREIGHT DEPOT
    ATSF RAILWAY FREIGHT HOUSE
    SANTE FE TRANS COMPANY FREIGHT DEPOT
    803 South 4th




    HY-KLAS PRODUCE TERMINAL
    BEATY GROCERY COMPANY
    804 South 4th






    Circa 1905
    DOLL & EWING FUEL & FEEDS
    820-824 South 4th Street






    Circa 1906
    CHESMORE SEED STORE
    838-846 South 4th



    SOUTH 4TH STREET - CB&Q RR CROSSING



    MANNAN-SMITH SUPPLY WAREHOUSE
    1021 South 4th



    SENECA STREET INTERSECTS



    ST JOSEPH FUEL OIL
    CLARK CONSTRUCTION COMPANY
    1207 South 4th




    1 2 3

    SEAMAN & SCHUSKE METAL WORKS
    ST JOSEPH BUILDERS SUPPLY
    1215 South 4th




    CHASE CANDY COMPANY
    1224 South 4th



    MITCHELL AVENUE INTERSECTS





    Circa 1939
    COLLIER-ADAMS MANUFACTURING COMPANY
    4th & Michell Avenue






    Circa 1927
    INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER
    4th & Michell Avenue
    Photo circa 1927




    FARM SUPPLY COMPANY
    (AGRICULTURAL IMPLIMENTS)
    1404 South 4th




    CUT RATE LUMBER YARD
    1425 South 4th



    SACRAMENTO STREET INTERSECTS



    HAPPY HOUR TAVERN
    1506 South 4th



    SOUTH 4TH STREET - CRI & P RR CROSSING



    US AREA ENGINEERS
    1516 South 4th






    Circa 1907
    INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER
    1521 South 4th
    (4th & Monterey)



    MONTEREY STREET INTERSECTS



    HUDSON OIL COMPANY
    1601 South 4th




    CORP OF ENGINEERS
    1602 South 4th




    CORP OF ENGINEERS
    1602 South 4th
    JOHN PAYNE SERVICE STATION
    1602 South 4th

    John Payne proprietor



    DUNCAN STREET INTERSECTS



    1 2

    Circa 1946
    FISK-ST JOSEPH TIRE & SUPPLY COMPANY
    Circa 1955
    J S HOPKINS AUTO & TRUCK SERVICE
    1701 South 4th



    TEXAS BULK PLANT
    1702 South 4th






    Circa 1953
    McCORMICK FARM EQUIPMENT STORE
    4th & Jackson




    Letts Box

    Circa 1885
    LETTS BOX COMPANY
    1802 South 4th St




    Letts Box1 Letts Box2 Letts Box3 Letts Box4

    Circa 1899
    LETTS BOX COMPANY
    1803-1807 South 4th St
    (4th & Jackson)

    W.T. Letts, who had immigrated here from England, began this company

    It was later turned over to his son Joe Letts, Sr

    When he retired, his sons Joe Letts, Jr. and Warren Letts took it over the business

    Letts Box Company manufactured wooden boxes, such as egg crates, fruit boxes, chicken coops, pint berry boxes, etc.

    By the mid 1960's, the demand for wooden boxes declined greatly, everyone began using cardboard and paper boxes, the business was dissolved in 1967

    Check out the neat brick street

    The structure no longer exists, it was removed during the construction of I-229

    Photo #1 - Letts Box Company as it appeared in 1918
    Photo #2 - 1958 Letts Fruit crate
    Photo #3 - 1958 Letts Fruit crate
    Photo #4 - 1899 Letts advertisement
    Photo #1 donated by Rodney Keyes
    Photo #2 donated by Travis Freeman
    Photo #3 donated by Travis Freeman
    Company information provided by W.T. Lett's great granddaughter, Marly Letts




    VISCOSITY OIL COMPANY
    1818 South 4th




    McCORMICK FARM EQUIPMENT COMPANY
    (INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER)
    1825 South 4th



    JACKSON STREET INTERSECTS





    MURPHY SANDWICH SHOP
    1902-1906 South 4th

    1902 South 4th
    This was a great place to eat
    The building was destroyed when the State Highway department built the new
    I-229/US 36 highway at this location




    1 2

    Circa 1928
    ST JOSEPH GAS COMPANY
    Plant: 4th & Cedar
    Office: 802 Francis

    Photo #1 - 1928 St Joseph News Press advertisement



    PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



    Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
    Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


    Return To Main Menu