4thstreet
North 4th Street & Connecting Streets


Arztwerbung

Search Engine for St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search

Some circa may not be accurate, they are the earliest I was able to locate

Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 4th STREET
NORTH 4th STREET BEGINS HERE



1 2 3

THE WHOLESALE DISTRICT ON 4th STREET
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1873
SANDERS & WELCH WHOLESALE
COOKING STOVES
Number 4 North 4th Street






Circa 1889
ROBERT A. HOPE MEN'S FURNISHINGS
Northeast Corner at 4th & FELIX






Circa 1902
4th & FELIX




1 2 3 4

Circa 1919
WWI VICTORY ARCH & RETURNING TROOPS
4th & Felix and 8th & Felix

A World War I Victory Arch was placed at both ends of downtown Felix
One at 8th & Felix and one at 4th & Felix
Photo #1 is looking east at 4th & Felix Street
Photo #2 is a postcard




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1894
NATIONAL BANK
FIRST NATIONAL BANK
COMMERCE BANK
4th & Felix

Located on the southwest corner of 4th & Felix
Check out the old original street lights
Originally the National Bank, then First National and now Commerce Bank

Photo #1 - 1st National Bank
Photo #2 - 4th & Felix looking East
Photo #3 - Currently Commerce Bank
Photo #4 - Current view from 4th St side
Photo #5 - Old photo of the bank
Photo #6 - 1st National Bank
Photo #7 - 1967 News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1880
R.L. McDONALD WHOLESALE DRY GOODS
202-210 North 4th
Circa 1899
HUNDLEY-FRAZER DRY GOODS
202-210 North 4th

Constructed in 1880 for R.L. McDonald Wholesale Dry Goods
By 1899, Hundley-Frazer Dry Goods occupied the building
The building is listed as a historical building
Photo #5 - 1899 Hundley-Frazer advertisement
Photo #7 - 1981 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1915
THE PEOPLE BUILT THE AUDITORIUM
402-424 North 4th Street




Circa 1905-1985
ORIGINAL CITY AUDITORIUM
402-424 North 4th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

City Auditorium1 City Auditorium2 City Auditorium3 City Auditorium4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Photo #1 - 1938 photo, note gas station
Photo #2 - Original city auditorium
Photo #3 - Original city auditorium
Photo #4 - Original city auditorium
Photo #5 - Old turn of century postcard
Photo #6 - Late photo
Photo #7 - Vintage postcard
Photo #8 - 1905 construction
Photo #9 - Late photo
Photo #10 - Late photo of auditorium
Photo #11 - Side & rear view
Photo #12 - Ornate window
Photo #13 - 1905 Dedication Plaque
Photo #14 - Front face
Photo #15 - Front entrance
Photo #16 - Entrance closeup
Photo #17 - Taken just prior razing
Photo #18 - 1916 Auditorium Stock
Photo #19 - Original auditorum entrance
Photo #20 - Destruction photo
Photo #21 - Destruction photo
Photo #22 - Destruction photo
Photo #23 - Destruction photo
Photo #24 - SJ Gazette destruction article
Photo #25 - Asking for opinions
Photo #26 - May 31, 1905 breaking ground
Photo #27 - 1905 ground preparation
Photo #28 - 1945, Jack Benny & Rochester leaving Hotel Robidoux for show
Photo #29 - 1945, Country Club beer cooler at City Auditorium's Jack Benny show
Photo #30 - 1945 advertisement for the auditorium Jack Benny's show
Photo #31 - February 14, 1945 St Joseph News Press advertisement for Jack Benny

The auditorium was not maintained, remodeled nor repaired on a regular basis
The photos below show that upkeep had not been performed
Rather than restore it, someone thought it was cheaper to just raze the building
The photos below were taken prior to it's demolition

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Construction of the original auditorium began in 1905
The auditorium doors opened for business on March 1, 1909
This was the original city auditorium, it seated 6000 people
The auditorium was razed in May 1985

It was a very nostalgic, well constructed, historical and attractive building

However, over the years, the city did not do preventive maintainence and upkeep on the structure, they let it slowly deteriate

Rather than updating, repairing, renovating & repainting the old building that was loved by everyone, the city decided it would be more cost efficent to tear it down and replace it with a new modern civic arena which seated far less people

It turned out to be a big mistake as very few people like the new auditorium and they have a hard time getting big name attractions due to the small size of the new building

I hear that the city is now considering the construction of a new auditorium and move the casino downtown to help increase downtown activity




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

ENTERTAINMENT AT THE
ORIGINAL CITY AUDITORIUM
402-424 North 4th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Some of the events held here were the great circuses, big bands, basketball games, high school events, musical shows, wrestling matches, farm & horse shows and many other events

Photo #1 - 1950 Women's AAU event
Photo #2 - 1912 Boy's Drill Team perfoming
Photo #3 - 1912 Girl Drill Team performing
Photo #4 - Nov 1950 Roy Rogers show
Photo #5 - A band setting up
Photo #6 - Wrestling advertisement
Photo #7 - Wrestling advertisement
Photo #8 - Central Cheerleaders
Photo #9 - Wrestling Advertisement
Photo #10 - Midget Lord Littlebrook
Photo #11 - Lady Wrestler Betty Niccoli
Photo #12 - Lady Wrestler Jean Antone
Photo #13 - Lady Wrestley Kay Noble
Photo #14 - Omar Atlas
Photo #15 - The Sheik
Photo #16 - Andrea The Giant
Photo #17 - Dick the Bruiser
Photo #18 - Lord Littlebrook and Little Tokyo 2
Photo #19 - January 8, 1971 wrestling on KFEQ TV advertisement
Photo #20 - 1947 or 1948 - Preparing the floor




ORIGINAL CITY AUDITORIUM WRESTLERS
WHO WON HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONS AT
THE CITY AUDITORIUM FROM 1953-1972
402-424 North 4th Street
The building was demolished during Urban Renewal

1 2 3 4 4a 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Wrestlers above won the Heavyweight Championship from 1953-1972
Sonny Meyers won the 1st one in 1953 and 6 more times over the years
Photo #12 shows what years they won the Championship

Photo #1 - Cowboy Bob Ellis
Photo #2 - Bob Geigel
Photo #3 - Bulldog Bob Brown
Photo #4 - Danny Littlebear
Photo #4a - Danny Littlebear
Photo #5 - Harley Race
Photo #6 - Lee Henning
Photo #7 - Mike DiBiase
Photo #8 - Roger Kirby
Photo #9 - Ronnie Etchison
Photo #10 - Sonny Meyers
Photo #11 - Thor Hagen
Photo #12 - NWA Championship Wrestlers
Photos were submitted by Brooke Hickman




New Auditorium1 New Auditorium2 New Auditorium3 New Auditorium4 New Auditorium5 New Auditorium6 New Auditorium7

ST JOSEPH CIVIC ARENA
100 North 4th Street

This is St Joseph's new auditorium, it is called the Civic Arena
It is bounded by 4th and 5th Streets, Felix and Francis Streets

This new structure was built to replace the original City Auditorium

It is not nearly as well liked as the original auditorium

One of the new defective multi-level parking lots is just east of the Arena

It's top level has been blocked off as it was deemed to be unsafe

The city is now wanting to either remove the defective level or repair it

Nothing to date has been done to the upper level as yet

Photo #1 - One of the defective parking lots, Civic Arena in background
Photo #2 - Civic Arena & City parking lot as viewed from 5th & Felix
Photo #3 - Civic Arena as viewed from 4th & Felix
Photo #4 - Civic Arena as viewed from 4th Street
Photo #5 - 2013 photo of the defective parking lot taken by David Osgood
Photo #6 - 2013 photo of the defective parking lot taken by David Osgood
Photo #7 - Civic Arena as viewed from 4th & Felix






JOHNSON-WOODBURY HAT COMPANY
4th & Felix
Circa 1890
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1899
PERKINS & DERGE CLOTHING COMPANY
401 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Circa 1857
STATE SAVINGS BANK
Circa 1859
MISSOURI VALLEY TRUST COMPANY
402 Felix

Established in 1857, this was the State Savings Bank, A. M. Saxton was the president
By May, 1881, Saxton had withdrawn from the corporation. C. B. France was elected president, R. L. McDonald was chosen vice-president, and E. Lindsay cashier. The bank had a capital of $100,000 and surplus of $75,000
The bank retained its state charter until 1890 when it was made a national bank
In 1899, the Missouri Valley Trust Company took over the building
Missouri Valley Trust Company is located at the SE corner of 4th & Felix
The Missouri Valley Trust Company is still in operation in 2015

Photo #1 - Current photo
Photo #2 - Current photo
Photo #3 - Current photo
Photo #4 - Current photo
Photo #5 - Current photo
Photo #6 - 1940's black & white photo
Photo #7 - The beautiful interior
Photo #8 - Circa 1907 photo
Photo #9 - The vault
Photo #10 - Beautiful teller window
Photo #11 - Early 1900's photo
Photo #12 - 1875 Advertisement
Photo #13 - 1878 Advertisement






LOOKING EAST ON FELIX
BETWEEN 4th & 5th STREETS
Buildings on left were demolished during Urban Renewal

A multi level city parking lot replaced all of the buildings on the left side of this photo between 4th & 5th on Felix Street






CHESMORE SEED RETAIL STORE
401-403 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot now occupies this location




ST JOSEPH RETAIL GROCERS
402½ Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal




SQUARE DEAL SHOE STORE
405 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot now occupies this location




1 2

Circa 1869
N. D. GOFF
THE LEADING CASH HATTER
407 Felix
Circa 1931
AMERICAN ELECTRIC COMPANY
407 Felix
SHEA FURNITURE COMPANY
407 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot now occupies this location
Photo #2 - 1931 American Electric News Press advertisement




Circa 1880
SCALISI SHOE REPAIR
408-410 Felix

Samuel Scalisi proprietor






Circa 1914
McQUINN CLOTHING COMPANY
409 Felix
Circa 1955
ZWONKA FIX IT SHOP
409 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot now occupies this location






Circa 1880
SCHNEITTER RADIO COMPANY WAREHOUSE
409-411 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Schneitter Radio Company warehouse was located at this address






Circa 1880
SCHNEITTER RADIO COMPANY
Circa 1909
NEVIN & SCHWIEN
Wines & Liquors
410 Felix
ROYER STAMP COMPANY
410 Felix

Schneitter Radio Company office was located at this address
Later Goldsberry and Son Rubber Stamps occupied the building




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Circa 1899
DUTTON BROTHERS DENTAL OFFICE
412-414 Felix
Circa 1909
DUNCAN SEED COMPANY
412 Felix Street
Circa 1920
ROBINSON, McWILLIAMS & BURNHAM
INSURANCE AGENCY
E. O. KOCH & SONS
Surgical & Health Supports
412 Felix Street
Circa 1935
ENRIGHT PLUMBING & HEATING COMPANY
412 Felix Street
NORTHWEST MISSOURI GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
412 Felix

Currently the home of Northwest Missouri Genealogical Society




1 2 3 4

Circa 1903
JAXON SHOE COMPANY
413 Felix
CAMPBELL SHOE COMPANY
413 Felix
Circa 1918
COBB SHOE COMPANY
413 Felix
SOUTHERN PIT BARBEQUE
413 Felix
OLE HICKORY BARBEQUE
413 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot is now at this location
Tom Hoecker started this BBQ restaurant, Nichols was the last proprietor
Photo #2 - 1906 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1918 Cobb Shoes News Press advertisement




WESTERN UNION TELEGRAPH
414 Felix
Circa 1953
AMERICAN DISTRICT TELEGRAPH
414 Felix

In 1953, American District Telegraph Company was also in this building with Western Union




1 2 3 4

Circa 1899
SALTMAN PROJECTING EXHIBIT CAMERA CO
418 Felix
Circe 1910
A. WENDOVER JEWELERS
418 Felix
Circa 1911
MAXWELL JEWELERS
418 Felix
Circa 1944
NATIONAL OPTICAL STORES CO.
418 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Photo #1 - 1899 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1944 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1910 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #4 - 1911 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3

Circa 1914
KAHN & COMPANY CLOTHIERS
415-417 Felix
Circa 1940
HAYNES-MARECHAL PAINT & WALLPAPER
415-417 Felix
Circa 1955
MONTY-HAYNES-MARECHAL PAINT & WALLPAPER
415-417 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot now at this location
Nichols was the proprietor of Monty's
Photo #2 - 1914 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1934
COBB SHOE COMPANY
416 Felix




1 2 3

Circa 1878
E.D. HOLTHAUS CONFECTIONS & ICE CREAM
420 Felix
Circa 1945
HOUSEHOLD FINANCE CORPORATION
Circa 1950
SNYDER OFFICE EQUIPMENT CO
420 Felix






Circa 1927
J. KAHAN
419 Felix
SUPERIOR WINDOW CLEANING CO
419 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot now at this location




1 2

Circa 1921
BOEGLE'S
421-423 Felix
Circa 1930
ROCK ISLAND RAILROAD
John J. Goodrich
Circa 1953
JOSEPH RESTAURANT
421 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Listed as John Joseph Restaurant in 1953 city directory
Multi level city parking lot now at this location
Photo #1 - 1921 Boegle's St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1930 Boegle's St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Circa 1902
CORBY-FORSEE BUILDING
422-428 Felix
THE FOUNTAINS APARTMENTS CORBY PLACE
422-428 Felix

In 1910, the John Corby and Dr Edgar Forsee Corporation constructed a 12 story building called the Corby-Forsee Building at 422 Felix

In 1927, an addition of another floor was added to house the St Joseph Grain Exchange making the building 13 stories tall

It was the 1st multi-level office complex to be built in St Joseph

The building had 200 offices, each with it's own lavatory

It has now been converted into a senior living complex called The Fountains at Corby Place

Photo #1 - Corby Building Facad, now called The Fountains at Corby Place
Photo #2 - Corby Building
Photo #3 - Corby Building
Photo #4 - Corby Building Elevators with brass doors
Photo #6 - 1931 photo of lighted sign on top of the Corby Building
Photo #7 - 1922 photo, showing Corby Building with sign on top
Photo #8 - 2012 photo, looking west from top level of Corby Building
Photo #9 - Main entrance of the Corby Building
Photo #10 - 1914 newspaper photo of lighted sign on top of the Corby Building
Photo #11 - Looking east down Felix, the Corby Cigar Store's sign visible
Photo #12 - Westward view down 4th Street from the Corby Building
Photo #13 - 1928 photo of the first floor - St Joseph Grain Exchange
Photo #14 - An old photo of the Corby Building
Photo #15 - 1899 Doctor J.H. Sampson advertisement
Photo #16 - 1915 Photo
Photo #17 - 1967 Herbert H Powell Insurance advertisement
Photo #18 - Looking east down Felix, the Corby Cigar Store's sign visible
Photo #19 - 1920 Comptometer School St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1856
BOEGLE BROTHERS SHOES
423 Felix

Circa 1953
TH0MPSON OPTICAL COMPANY
423 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot now at this location
Photo - 1912 St Joseph News Press advertisement






CORBY CIGAR STORE
424 Felix

Corby Cigar Store was located at the Corby Building






Circa 1878
J. FORBES & COMPANY FANCY GROCERIES
425 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Importers of fine groceries
Multi level city parking lot now at this location




HAHN MUSIC & APPLIANCE COMPANY
427 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Ernie Hahn - proprietor
Multi level city parking lot now at this location






Circa 1917
MISSOURI PACIFIC TICKET OFFICE
428 Felix
Circa: 1953
MECHANICS BANK
428 Felix






NELLY DON FABRIC SHOP
109 North 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal





1 2 3 4 5 6 7

AMERICAN ELECTRIC COMPANY
116-118 North 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

300 North 3rd Sales Office

One of St Joseph's oldest electrical & radio supply companies
The American Electric sales office is still located at 300 North 3rd Street
American Electric has currently built a new structure at 8th & Messanie

Photo #1 - Original American Electric building at 116-118 North 4th
Photo #2 - 1950's or later - note difference in top of the building
Photo #3 - The empty lot created during Urban Renewal
Photo #4 - Sales office at 300 North 3rd Street
Photo #5 - Sales office at 300 North 3rd Street
Photo #6 - 1930's photo
Photo #7 - 1929 St Joseph News Press advertisement






NATIONAL BELLAS HESS
119 North 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Catalog department for Bellas Hess
Photo - 1946 newspaper photo of Bellas Hess catalog department



FRANCIS STREET INTERSECTS



1 2

BILL'S CLUB
408 Francis Street

Photo #1 - Bill's Club marquee is visible mid-block
The Pioneer Building with its distinctive roofline is clearly visible in the background

Photo #2 - The Photographer walked a further past Bill's Club and took a photo of a crane taking out an old building on the SW corner of 5th and Francis
Photos donated by Dave Sietzen




1 2

Circa: 1847
Zion Church
4th & Francis Street

1881 pencil sketch of a church at 4th & Francis
This church was built in 1847 by Rev. T.S. Reeve and the New School Presbyterians
Zion's German Evangelical Church bought the building in 1865 and stayed until October 1881
The Saxton National Bank was organized in 1883
It cut down the hill at this site and erected its building there
This bank lasted until 1894, when it was consolidated with Schuster-Hax National Bank and reorganized as the First National Bank of Buchanan County.




1 2

LEO'S CASTLE ON THE HILL CAFETERIA
4th & Francis
Circa 1951

Photos - 1951 St Joseph News-Press advertisements for Leo's "Castle On The Hill" restaurant




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1885-1935
SAXTON NATIONAL BANK
4th & Francis

In 1885, this bank was located on the northeast corner of 4th & Francis
At the time, it was the largest bank in St Joseph
Photos #4 & 5 are the lion statues once located at the entrance
Photo #6 is Abe Saxton's home






Photo Circa 1976
4th & Francis

1976 Photo during Urban Renewal looking north on 4th Street
Big Smith can be seen in the background




1 2

REGNIER & SHOUP CROCKERY
4th & Francis

Once located on NE corner of 4th & Francis Street
Supplied the new Hotel Robidoux with all the dishes and glassware
Hotel Robidoux can be seen further down the block
Photo #2 is a hand lettered glass paperweight






Circa 1916
LEE BROOM
420 Francis

Automobile tire recapper




1 2 3 4 5 Robidoux Center6 Robidoux Center7 Robidoux Center8 Robidoux Center9 Robidoux Center10

Circa 1922
HOTEL JEROME & LEE BROOM RESTAURANT
416-420 Francis

On June 17, 1922, Lee C Broom leased the property at 416-418 Francis
Lee C Broom constructed the Hotel Jerome on the site
The hotel, a six story, 75 room hotel, opened in 1922 at 416-418 Francis Street

The hotel was managed by Mr Harold Gordon

In 1936, the Lee Broom restaurant was located in the adjoining buiding at 420 Francis
The restaurant later became Gordon's Restaurant

On the 1st day of August, 1936 Broom leased all property for 15 years to William T. Wheeler
Lee C Broom passed away in June 1946

The hotel was gutted by fire on March 4, 1957 and ordered by the city to be demolished

Some of the above details were donated by: Don Erck, Elk Grove, CA

DESCRIPTION FOR PHOTO #5 SUBMITTED BY Andrew Poage:
This photo shows the sides of the old American Electric building and the Tootle-Hosea building (center and right) on north 4th street. We would now be looking at Civic Arena and the parking garage

Photo #1 - The empty lot where the Hotel Jerome once was, Hotel Robidoux is visible in the background
Photo #2 - The Jerome Hotel
Photo #3 - Jerome Hotel advertisement
Photo #4 - Jerome Hotel postcard
Photo #5 - The remnants of the hotel
Photo #6 - March 4,1957 fire - note Gordon Restaurant sign is visible
Photo #7 - Slightly better photo than #2
Photo #8 - Hotel Jerome stationary
Photo #9 - Lee Broom Restaurant
Photo #10 - Lee Broom Restaurant
Photo #1 donated by Dave Sietzen




GORDON'S JEROME CAFE
418 Francis Street




JEROME COCKTAIL LOUNGE
420 Francis Street




PONY EXPRESS SHOP
428 Francis Street






Photo Circa 1877
WILCOX & GIBBS SEWING MACHINES
429 Francis Street




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1880
R. L. McDONALD
WHOLESALE DRY GOODS
Circa 1917
UNITED STATES RUBBER COMPANY
McCORD-NORTON DIVISION
BIG SMITH
202-208 North 4th

Located on the Northwest corner of 4th & Francis
In 1880 R.L. McDonald wholesale dry goods occupied this building
In 1917 the United States Rubber Company took over McCord-Norton
McCord-Norton was previously located at 104-108 North 3rd Street
McCord-Norton made rubber shoes
J.E. McCord and T.F. Norton owners
It later became the home of Big Smith
Makers of Big Smith jeans & overalls
Big Smith was one of the first jean companies to leave town



Photo #1 - Present day
Photo #2 - Present day
Photo #3 - Circa 1920's
Photo #4 - Present day
Photo #5 - Circa 1970's
Photo #6 - Circa 1920's - looking west on Francis
Photo #7 - R L McDonalds Dry Goods
Photo #8 - 1936 Big Smith workers




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1850
ENGLEHART-DAVISON WHOLESALE MILINERY
THE LOFTS
212-214 North 4th

Established in 1850
Located between Boudreau's Louisana Seafood & Steaks and Big Smith
Rather than tearing this building down, only the inside was gutted
The outside was then fully restored but remained gutted
As of 2013, the building is complete and has been converted into Lofts for rent
This is one beautiful, unreplaceable building, many thanks to those who saved it

Photo #1 - 1928 Advertisement
Photo #2 - The building with the insides gutted
Photo #3 - The building insides being restored
Photo #4 - Completed restoration photo
Photo #5 - 1899 Advertisement
Photo #6 - 1899 Advertisement




Circa 1850
LOADING DOCK USED BY NOMA LITES
219 North 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Established in 1850




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Circa 1882
BRITTAIN-RICHARDSON DRY GOODS
Circa 1890
JOHN S. BRITTAIN DRY GOODS
JOHNNY FRY'S RESTAURANT
BOUDREAU'S LOUISIANA SEAFOOD
224 North 4th
(Southwest Corner of 4th & Jules)

In 1882, John D. Richardson became partners with John S. Brittain
The Brittain-Richardson Dry Goods was located on the Southwest corner 4th and Jules which is currently the home of Boudreau's Louisiana Seafood
In 1890, John D. Richardson dissolved his partnership with Brittain and built his own Dry Goods building at 300 North 3rd Street
Some photos circa are about 1882, some are more current
This building has been fully restored and modified as a restaurant

The entire 200 block of North 4th Street was once known as "Wholesale Row"

Per the 'Downtown St Joseph Walking Tour' booklet, the warehouse buildings were built in the early 1880s
The booklet goes on to say that 'Wholesale Row' is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

I remember a pawn shop occupying this building before it was Johnny Fry's

It later became Johnny Fry's Restaurant

In January 2001, Robert Boudreau opened his restaurant here

Mr Boudreau passed away February 2014

It is still open for business in 2014 and serves great seafood & steak meals


Photo #1 - sumbitted by Andrew Poage
Photo #5 - 2014 photo of Boudreux restaurant
Photo #6 - Refurbished building front
Photo #11 - Photo of Robert Boudreaux
Photo #12 - Interior view of Boudreux restaurant




JULES STREET INTERSECTS



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1907
HILLYARD CHEMICAL COMPANY
HILLYARD DISINFECTANT COMPANY
HILLYARD,INC
4th & Jules

Hillyard, Inc is located at 4th & Jules Streets
Earlier known as Hillyard Disinfectant Company and Hillyard Chemical
Hillyards is a privately owned cleaning products company
Their speciality is providing products for cleaning and maintenance of wood basketball courts
Newton S. Hillyard founded the company in 1907 as a cleaning supplies manufacturer
Hillyard's son Marvin asked him to sponsor a basketball team
Newton S. then developed the company's signature cleaning supplies that made the floors "less oily"
It is in it's 4th generation of family ownership since 1907


Photo #1 - Hillyard plant at 4th & Jules
Photo #2 - 1942 envelope postmark
Photo #3 - 1963 circa
Photo #4 - 1971 advertisement
Photo #5 - Transport and drivers
Photo #6 - Horse drawn sales wagon
Photo #7 - 1930's sales truck
Photo #8 - 1967 Advertisement





1 2 3

Circa 1849
WHEELER & MOTTER MERCHANTILE
Circa 1892
TOOTLE, WHEELER & MOTTER MERCHANTILE
219-223 North 4th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Wheeler & Motter Merchantile began business in 1849
This building was constructed in 1889
It was said to have been one of the city's most impressive buildings
The company was said to carry the largest inventory of dry goods, carpet, notions and furniture west of New York
The building no longer exists (guess it wasn't that impressive)
Photo #3 - 1899 advertisement





1 2

Circa early 1900's
BATTREALL-WHITTINGMILL SHOE CO
Circa 1921
BATTREALL SHOE COMPANY
302-306 North 4th Street

Manufacturer of men, women and children's leather shoes
Early 1900's photo of the Battreall-Whittingmill Shoe Company
The building was located on the northwest corner of 4th & Jules Street
After extensive remodeling, it is currently the main headquarters of Hillyard Inc.
The original auditorium can be seen in the far right side




1 2

AERIAL VIEW BUCHANAN COUNTY COURT HOUSE




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Circa 1885
BUCHANAN COUNTY COURT HOUSE
4th & Jules

The Court House had a major fire in 1885
Located on the southwest corner of 4th & Jules
They recently rebuilt the west and south steps however they are no longer used
All entrances except the east door are now closed off for security reasons
Everyone must now pass through a metal detector when upon the building

Photo #1 - 1880's era, note that it had a different looking dome
Photo #4 - Note the Skelly station was removed during Urban Renewal
Photo #6 - Court House photos before and after 1885 court house fire
Photos #7-13 were taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Photo #14 - Circa: 1906 postcard
Photo #15 - Skelly Station across from Court House 25.9 cent gasoline




1 2 3

DOWNTOWN SKELLY STATION
501 Jules
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This gas station was located east of Buchanan Court House
A city parking lot replaced the structure during Urban Renewal




1 2 3

TOOTLE-CAMPBELL DRY GOODS
HILLYARD INDUSTRIES
308-324 North 4th

Photo #3 - 1909 circa photo
Currently occupied by Hillyard Industries




ROSS AUTO PARK #4
401 North 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Currently it is a parking lot for the law enforcement




Circa 1850
FLETCHALL'S MARKET
BAIL BOND OFFICE
504 North 4th

Established in 1850
Has been a Bail Bond office for many years
Appeared to be closed down the last time I looked






Circa 1899
NOLD & WILD LUMBER
1202 North 4th

Photo - 1899 Advertisement






BUCHANAN COUNTY POOR HOUSE
4th & Faraon



EDMOND STREET INTERSECTS





ABE'S BARBER SHOP
POD'S TAVERN
400 Block of Edmond







Circa 1899
H. A. KOTSCH
FINE LIQUORS & CIGARS
4th & Edmond







Circa 1860
ED T. PEARSON DRY GOODS
Southeast corner of 4th & Edmond





1 2

Circa 1868
JULES ROBIDOUX HOME
PIONEER CLOTHING COMPANY
PAUL BLOCK USED FURNITURE
4th & Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal


Exact address unknown
This was once Jules Robidoux's home
It was located on the north side of Edmond between 4th & 5th Streets
In 1868, Joseph Robidoux's funeral was held here
Pioneer Clothing Company had a store front
The last owner was Paul Block who sold used furniture for many years at this location
The structure was torn down in the 1970's during Urban Renewal




CENTRAL HOTEL
CRYSTAL BAR
401 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal


It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal




1 2 3

Circa 1951
BLOCK'S ARMY SURPLUS
408 Edmond

Leon Block was the proprietor
I'm sure everybody remembers Block's Army Surplus at 4th & Edmond
He had the best price in town for Levi jeans, canvas, boots, sleds, just about anything you would possibly want

Photo #1 - 1951 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - Block's Army Surplus at 4th & Edmond Streets
Photo #3 - Block's Army Surplus at 4th & Edmond Streets







Circa 1925
ST JOSEPH ARMY & NAVY STORE
405 Edmond Street

Photo - 1925 St Joseph News Press advertisement




HOCKMAN ARMY SURPLUS
407 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal


It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal




RINGER FURNISHED ROOMS
407½ Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal


It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal






Circa 1932
LEO EPSTEIN & COMPANY
409 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal


It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal
Photo - 1932 St Joseph News Press advertisement




PARKER HARDWARE
409-411 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal


It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal




Circa 1900
FRANK MARCHAINI RESTAURANT
BLOCK'S ARMY SURPLUS
408-410 Edmond Street






Circa 1906
SCHNAITMAN BROTHERS HARNESS SHOP
412-414 Edmond

This was located at the same address as the Apex-Buffalo Saloon for reasons unknown

Photo - Circa 1906 Schnaitman Brothers Harness Shop, name unknown




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1854
APEX-BUFFALO SALOON
412-414 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

In 1854, Fred Stephfen and George Bode founded the Buffalo Saloon at 412 Edmond Street
According to the 1953 city directory, there was also an entrance from 4th street

Photo #1 - Newspaper article about the saloon
Photo #2 - An Apex-Buffalo token
Photo #3 - Newspaper article
Phoro #4 - Advertising Baseball score keeper
Photo #5 - Inside view of Baseball score keeper
Photo #6 - Matchbook cover
Photo #7 - Apex-Buffalo Saloon recent photo




1 2

Circa 1960
DUKE BLOCK'S FURNITURE
413 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This was a furniture store owned & operated by Paul Block
There may have been other relatives in this business with Paul Block
It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal
Photo #1 - 1960 St Joseph News-Press advertisement






Circa 1919
JOHN JOSEPH CAFE
JOHN JOSEPH RESTAURANT
415 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This was a small cafe located at 415 Edmond
The cafe was built in 1919
They offered hamburgers for 25 cents and you could get a soda for 5 cents
All of the buildings on the north side of this block of Edmond Street became one large parking lot during Urban Renewal
Listed as John Joseph Restaurant in 1953 city directory




1 2

Circa 1927
ELLINGER SPORTING GOODS
BLEDSOE LINOLEUM & CARPET
416 Edmond Street

In 1927 this was Ellinger Sporting Goods
In 1931, Ellinger moved to 815 Frederick Avenue
In 1953 this was Bledsoe Linoleum & Carpet
Photo #2 - 1931 St Joseph News Press advertisement






CHANDLEE PAINT & GLASS COMPANY
417 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Chandlee had a 2nd store at 503 South 6th Street
Photo - 1917 advertisement




Circa 1870
COX SEED COMPANY
Circa 1900
KOBLITZ & COX SEED COMPANY
Circa 1955
ROLLER EQUIPMENT CO
418 Edmond Street

Mr S. N. Cox established the business in 1870
Mr Koblitz, age 47, a native of Germany, came to St Joseph in 1888
In 1900,Koblitz joined Cox in the business
The seed company began in a house located at 418 Edmond in 1870
They had a large supply of all kinds of seeds, fertilizers and chicken feed





PASHIK BROKERAGE CO
418 Edmond Street






Circa 1929
AUGUST SCHWIEN STOVE COMPANY
419 Edmond Street
Circa 1953
TWENTIETH CENTURY PARKING LOT
419 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal




MISSOURI LOAN
420 Edmond Street






RHODES BARBER SHOP
421 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

All of the buildings on the north side of this block of Edmond Street became one large parking lot during Urban Renewal






Circa 1905
GOLDEN EAGLE CLOTHING
422 Edmond




1 2 3 4

Circa 1885
LYON & JUDSON HARDWARE
423-425 Edmond
Circa 1899
H. ETTENSON CLOTHING
MEN'S, BOY'S & CHILDREN'S CLOTHING
425 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

All of the buildings on the north side of this block of Edmond Street became one large parking lot during Urban Renewal




JUNCTION TAVERN
424 Edmond Street




4

Circa 1905
MISSOURI PACIFIC TICKET OFFICE
JUNCTION CIGAR STORE
426 Edmond Street






Circa 1911
SELF & BINSWANGER LIQUOR
427-A Edmond Street




BROWN DERBY CAFE
428 Edmond Street






Circa 1899
TULLAR & TULLAR
LIVERY & BOARDING STABLE
Corner of 4th & Charles






OLE MAN JACKSON FURNITURE
4th & Charles

Ole Man Jackson had 2 stores, his 1st store was located at 4th & Charles

His 2nd store was at 307-311 South 6th (see 6th Street for the photo)

Ole Man Jackson can be seen lounging in the recliner in this photo

The photo was taken around 1962 on 5th Street just south of Edmond during the Apple Blossom Parade

Rick Stafford's sister, Carol (Stafford) Kramer, is the girl standing up showing off the Westinghouse refrigerator

Jackson and Rick's father were very close friends and he wanted Carol to be the "Westinghouse lady" in the parade

Ole man Jackson Furniture was not the same as the Jackson furniture store that was on South 6th

Ole Man Jackson also had another store in the 1970's south of Betty Jackson's store next to the Greyhound depot at 6th and Charles

In the 1960's Ole Man Jackson had the largest furniture store in Northwest MO

Photo donated by Rick Stafford





HECKEL GARAGE
301 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Contributing building for:
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
Front (west) facade divided into four bays by raised brick piers which break through parapet of flat roof. Parapet's concrete "spandrels" framed by soldier course brick. Metal garage door in second bay from north emphasized by taller section of parapet. North bay with central pedestrian entry with transom flanked by two storefront windows with triple transoms, now blocked.




SCHULER SERVICE STATION
302 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1902
J. H. ROBISON HEAVY HARDWARE
JAMES R. HOPKINS ORIENTAL WARES
HILAND DAIRY (WESTERN DAIRY) WAREHOUSE
306 South 4th
217 South 4th
4th & Francis
Destroyed by Fire

The J. H. Robison Heavy Hardware building was constructed in 1882

In 1902, Mr James R. Hopkins founded the J R Hopkins Oriental Wares at 306 South 4th in the J H Robison Heavy Hardware building

The business was later moved to the huge warehouse at 217 South 4th

(northeast corner of 4th & Charles, all windows are now covered green)

By 1920, Mr Hopkins business had grown so well, the business was relocated to the northwest corner of 4th & Francis (we know it as the Big Smith building)

They occupied the Big Smith building for several decades between 1920 and 1950

In 1942, the Hopkins firm was shipping goods to 38 states

At one time, Mr. Hopkins was listed as the largest Oriental importer in the USA

In the 1960's, when I worked for Western Dairy, which was owned by Hiland Dairy in Springfield MO, we stored milk cases, milk bottles, milk boxes and other equipment in the building at 306 South 4th

In 1981, the building was destroyed by fire

Photo #1 - This was J R Hopkins Oriental Wares first location
Photo #2 - Interior photo of their showroom at 4th & Francis
Photo #3 - Front cover of their catalog when located in the Big Smith building
Photo #4 - Modern photo of the Big Smith building
Photo #5 - James Robert Hopkins (1868-1952)
Photo #6 - Painted on name of J R Hopkins is visible on side wall
Photo #1 - J. H. Robison Heavy Hardware building (constructed in 1882)
Photo #2 - 1981 photo of the building on fire
Photo #3 - 1981 St Joseph News-Press article about the fire
Photos donated by Blair Carmichael (Great Grandson of James R Hopkins)




BROOM FACTORY
PRODUCTS FOR THE BLIND
NW MO ASSOCIATION FOR THE BLIND
307 South 4th




VACANT IN 1953
310 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2

CLARK DELIVERY
CLARK MOTORCYCLE SALES
BRINKS
314-316 South 4th




1 2

RICHMOND SCREW & ANCHOR
315 South 4th Street

This building was razed in late 2015 (July or August)
A new very large building that fills the entire square block has now been constructed on this site
I have no idea who or what owns this building
There are no signs visible




1 2

JOHNSON & JOHNSON RESTAURANT EQUIPMENT
318-320 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 0
COOKMAN INSTANT PRINTING
322 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1921
SWIFT & COMPANY
Circa 1955
LEONARD WHOLESALE MEATS
323 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal



SYLVANIE STREET INTERSECTS





CENTRAL STATES GROCERY
401 South 4th Street

Photo - Camera looking southesat
401-405 South 4th (left edge)
409 South 4th (left)
413 South 4th (center)
417 South 4th (right)




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1889
SCHNIETTER RADIO WAREHOUSE
SCHNIETTER FIREWORKS COMPANY
SCHNIETTER LUMBER WORKS
409-411 South 4th Street

(Circa 1889)
Contributing building for:
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
Small Scale Commercial Block. Romanesque Revival influence.
Two story, two bay building with raised sandstone watertable.
Front facade dominated by two wide round arches on second story springing from sandstone carved capitals atop brick piers flanked by elongated, slender brick engaged columns. Composition characteristic of Romanesque style, as are organic motifs in the stone carving (north corn, center wheat, south pumpkin).
Arches frame multi-partite round arched windows with simple brick spandrel on second story and two tripartite wooden storefronts. Each storefront has a line of transoms (three), plate glass sash (two), and entry (one) set in reveals on southern bay of each storefront. Rear elevation (east) with rectilinear windows with splayed lintels of brick.

Photo #1 - Photo when Schnietter occupied the building
Photo #2 - Current condition of the building
Photo #3 - Current condition of the building
Photo #4 - Schnietter Radio Company advertisement
Photo #5 - 409 South 4th left side of photo




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1910
WING PRINTING
413 South 4th Street

(Circa 1910)
Service-Related Facility. No stylistic influence. Two story brick building with high stone watertable.
Parapet ornamented by stone cornice and richly textured brick corbeling with rhythmic raised brick notches which drop down to accent six 1/1 window bays of second story. Entry with corbeling and 1-light transom above set off-center to south to accommodate wide garage door on north half. Replacement tripartite window in extreme south bay of first story of facade.
"Wing Printing Co." neon swinging sign extends from building (c. 1940)
Logan Wing, Sr founded the Wing Printing company
The business was passed down to Kenneth Wing and then to his son, Roger Wing
Roger Wing currently owns Wing Printing

Photo #1 - looking south on 4th Street
Photo #2 - Looking North on 4th Street in 2002
Photo #2 - There is a sign painted on the lower floor for Cookman Litho Printing
Photo #3 - 1960's to 1970's photo
Photo #4 - 413 South 4th (center)
Photo #5 - 1974 St Joseph News Press advertisement




1 2 3 4

Circa 1907
CARDER GROCERY COMPANY
WESTERN CHEMICAL
417-427 South 4th Street

(Circa 1907)
Contributing building for:
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
Warehouse/Light Manufacturing Facility. Classical Revival influence. Four story brick building. Flat roof with corbeled cornice and crenelated parapet on front (west) facade; tile coping. Merlons accent bays articulated by piers rising from second to fourth stories terminating in wide brick segmental arches with keystones and shared imposts. Sheathing covers second to fourth story fenestration, but rhythm of bays maintained. First story serves as a base to treatment above, and is demarcated by dentilated stringcourse. Tripartite windows (6/6, 9/9, 6/6) on first story capped by flat arches with raised brick keystones; recessed off-center (to south) entry, slightly altered. South elevation with similar detailing and concrete loading dock with metal canopy along east half.
Western Chemical was once owned by Henry Garvey and was a thriving business
The building is currently vacant and the inside is in horrible dispair

Photo #1 - as it looked in the 1970's
Photo #2 - interior view taken by Keith Wing in 2014
Photo #3 - interior view taken by Keith Wing in 2014



ANGELIQUE STREET INTERSECTS





Circa 1913
HORIGAN SUPPLY COMPANY
4th & Angelique Street

Photo - 1913 St Joseph News Press Advertisement






Circa 1927
ABC Bandag Retreading
406-408 Angelique Street

ABC Bandag was a big retread franchise owned by ABF Trucking out of Arkansas. It eventually became ABC Treadco.
406-408 Angelique Street was a service-related facility (garage) in the Spanish Eclectic style constructed in 1927. Details include variegated tile pent roof parapet and corner pedestals with tile coping and swirl-stucco covered walls. This is the only extant example of this architectural style in the district




Circa 1893
PENNY & PENNY HAY & GRAIN
4th & Angelique

Smith Penny and B.L. Penny Hay & Grain Company began in 1893
The hay, grain and feed company was located on the corner of 4th & Angelique
It was located in a 4000 square foot brick building constructed in 1893
The building no longer exists




BRUMMER & WALDROFF GAS STATION
501-503 South 4th Street




OLSON TIN SHOP
511 South 4th Street




VACANT IN 1953
513 South 4th Street




FAIRBANKS PARKING LOT
521 South 4th Street




JOHNSTON CAFE
523 South 4th Street



MESSANIE STREET INTERSECTS



1 2

Circa 1880
WILLIAM SIDENFADEN UNDERTAKER
WM,JR & EDWARD SIDENFADEN UNDERTAKERS
602-604 South 4th Street
Corner of 4th & Messanie Streets




1 2 3 4 5

Circa late 1800's
LIZZIE KING HOUSE
House of ill Repute
124 South 2nd Street
415 Messanie

Miss Lizzie King, St. Joseph's famous madam
Lizzie King was a famous "Lady of the Evening" in St. Joseph in the late 1800's
Below is the famous Lizzie King Poem by M. Dailey in 8/17/1911

Lizzie King Lizzie King had a heart of gold
A hooker by trade or so we're told
She'd show up when the guys got paid
With a surrey of girls - the guys got laid
She even had brass tokens made
"Good for 50 cents in trade"
And when the police came around
They didn't come to shut her down
From her bawdy house on Market Square
Lizzie always gave her share
She'd donate money - donate clothes
For the poor and indisposed
No - Lizzie King of St. Joe fame
Must have been one classy dame

Photo #1 - St Joseph News-Press drawing of the house
Photo #2 - Front side of Lizzie King trade token
Photo #3 - Back side of Lizzie King trade token
Photo #3 - Lizzie King photograph
Photo #4 - Photograph of Lizzie King and her daughter



JENNIES LUNCH
QUALITY OIL
QUALITY OIL SERVICE STATION
602 South 4th Street



LOCUST STREET INTERSECTS



WOODBURY CHEMICAL
702 South 4th




RUDY-PATRICK SEED COMPANY
710 South 4th






HUNDLEY-FRAZER DRY GOODS
710 South 4th




JOHN J MEIERS WHOLESALE GROCERY
720 South 4th



MARY STREET INTERSECTS






KELLOG-KELLY SEED COMPANY
725-729 South 4th




Circa 1900
MOKASKA MILLS
745 South 4th




RESEARCH LABRATORIES
743-749 South 4th




MISSOURI IRON & METAL
750-754 South 4th



PATEE STREET INTERSECTS



JAMES OIL COMPANY
802 South 4th




ST JOSEPH TERMINAL OFFICE & FREIGHT DEPOT
ATSF RAILWAY FREIGHT HOUSE
SANTE FE TRANS COMPANY FREIGHT DEPOT
803 South 4th




HY-KLAS PRODUCE TERMINAL
BEATY GROCERY COMPANY
804 South 4th






CHESMORE SEED STORE
838-846 South 4th
Circa: 1906



SOUTH 4TH STREET - CB&Q RR CROSSES



MANNAN-SMITH SUPPLY WAREHOUSE
1021 South 4th



SENECA STREET INTERSECTS



ST JOSEPH FUEL OIL
CLARK CONSTRUCTION COMPANY
1207 South 4th




1 2 3

SEAMAN & SCHUSKE METAL WORKS
ST JOSEPH BUILDERS SUPPLY
1215 South 4th




CHASE CANDY COMPANY
1224 South 4th



MITCHELL AVENUE INTERSECTS





Circa 1927
INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER
4th & Michell Avenue
Photo circa 1927




FARM SUPPLY COMPANY
(AGRICULTURAL IMPLIMENTS)
1404 South 4th




CUT RATE LUMBER YARD
1425 South 4th



SACRAMENTO STREET INTERSECTS



HAPPY HOUR TAVERN
1506 South 4th



SOUTH 4TH STREET - CRI & P RR CROSSING



US AREA ENGINEERS
1516 South 4th






Circa 1907
INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER
1521 South 4th
(4th & Monterey)



MONTEREY STREET INTERSECTS



HUDSON OIL COMPANY
1601 South 4th




CORP OF ENGINEERS
1602 South 4th




PAYNE SERVICE STATION
1602 South 4th

John Payne proprietor



DUNCAN STREET INTERSECTS



1 2

Circa 1946
FISK-ST JOSEPH TIRE & SUPPLY COMPANY
Circa 1955
J S HOPKINS AUTO & TRUCK SERVICE
1701 South 4th



TEXAS BULK PLANT
1702 South 4th




Letts Box

Circa 1885
LETTS BOX COMPANY
1802 South 4th St




Letts Box1 Letts Box2 Letts Box3 Letts Box4

Circa 1899
LETTS BOX COMPANY
1803-1807 South 4th St
(4th & Jackson)

W.T. Letts, who had immigrated here from England, began this company

It was later turned over to his son Joe Letts, Sr

When he retired, his sons Joe Letts, Jr. and Warren Letts took it over the business

Letts Box Company manufactured wooden boxes, such as egg crates, fruit boxes, chicken coops, pint berry boxes, etc.

By the mid 1960's, the demand for wooden boxes declined greatly, everyone began using cardboard and paper boxes, the business was dissolved in 1967

Check out the neat brick street

The structure no longer exists, it was removed during the construction of I-229

Photo #1 - Letts Box Company as it appeared in 1918
Photo #2 - 1958 Letts Fruit crate
Photo #3 - 1958 Letts Fruit crate
Photo #4 - 1899 Letts advertisement
Photo #1 donated by Rodney Keyes
Photo #2 donated by Travis Freeman
Photo #3 donated by Travis Freeman
Company information provided by W.T. Lett's great granddaughter, Marly Letts




VISCOSITY OIL COMPANY
1818 South 4th




McCORMICK FARM EQUIPMENT COMPANY
(INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER)
1825 South 4th



JACKSON STREET INTERSECTS





MURPHY SANDWICH SHOP
1902-1906 South 4th

1902 South 4th
This was a great place to eat
The building was destroyed when the State Highway department built the new
I-229/US 36 highway at this location




WOLFLEY SUPER OIL COMPANY
1916 South 4th




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu