4thstreet
4th Street & Connecting Streets


Search Engine for St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search

Some circa may not be accurate, they are the earliest I was able to locate

Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 4th STREET
NORTH 4th STREET BEGINS HERE



1 2 3

THE WHOLESALE DISTRICT ON 4th STREET
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1873
SANDERS & WELCH WHOLESALE COOKING STOVES
Number 4 North 4th Street






Circa 1889
ROBERT A. HOPE MEN'S FURNISHINGS
Northeast Corner at 4th & FELIX






Circa 1902
4th & FELIX




1 2 3 4

Circa 1919
WWI VICTORY ARCH & RETURNING TROOPS
4th & Felix and 8th & Felix

A World War I Victory Arch was placed at both ends of downtown Felix
One at 8th & Felix and one at 4th & Felix
Photo #1 is looking east at 4th & Felix Street
Photo #2 is a postcard




1 2 3 4 5

NATIONAL BANK
FIRST NATIONAL BANK
COMMERCE BANK
4th & Felix

Located on the southwest corner of 4th & Felix
Check out the old original street lights
Originally the National Bank, then First National and now Commerce Bank

Photo #1 - 1st National Bank
Photo #2 - 4th & Felix looking East
Photo #3 - Currently Commerce Bank
Photo #4 - Current view from 4th St side
Photo #5 - Old photo of the bank




1 2 3 4

Circa 1880
R.L. McDONALD WHOLESALE DRY GOODS
Circa 1900
HUNDLEY-FRAZER DRY GOODS
202-210 North 4th
Constructed in 1880 for R.L. McDonald Wholesale Dry Goods
By 1900, Hundley-Frazer Dry Goods occupied the building
The building is listed as a historical building




Circa 1905-1985
ORIGINAL CITY AUDITORIUM
402-424 North 4th Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

City Auditorium1 City Auditorium2 City Auditorium3 City Auditorium4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Photo #1 - 1938 photo, note gas station
Photo #2 - Original city auditorium
Photo #3 - Original city auditorium
Photo #4 - Original city auditorium
Photo #5 - Old turn of century postcard
Photo #6 - Late photo
Photo #7 - Vintage postcard
Photo #8 - 1905 construction
Photo #9 - Late photo
Photo #10 - Late photo of auditorium
Photo #11 - Side & rear view
Photo #12 - Ornate window
Photo #13 - 1905 Dedication Plaque
Photo #14 - Front face
Photo #15 - Front entrance
Photo #16 - Entrance closeup
Photo #17 - Taken just prior razing
Photo #18 - 1916 Auditorium Stock
Photo #19 - Original auditorum entrance
Photo #20 - Destruction photo
Photo #21 - Destruction photo
Photo #22 - Destruction photo
Photo #23 - Destruction photo
Photo #24 - SJ Gazette destruction article
Photo #25 - Asking for opinions

The auditorium was not maintained, remodeled nor repaired on a regular basis
The photos below show that upkeep had not been performed
Rather than restore it, someone thought it was cheaper to just raze the building
The photos below were taken prior to it's demolition

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Construction of the original auditorium began in 1905
The auditorium doors opened for business on March 1, 1909
This was the original city auditorium, it seated 6000 people
The auditorium was razed in May 1985

It was a very nostalgic, well constructed, historical and attractive building

However, over the years, the city did not do preventive maintainence and upkeep on the structure, they let it slowly deteriate

Rather than updating, repairing, renovating & repainting the old building that was loved by everyone, the city decided it would be more cost efficent to tear it down and replace it with a new modern civic arena which seated far less people

It turned out to be a big mistake as very few people like the new auditorium and they have a hard time getting big name attractions due to the small size of the new building

I hear that the city is now considering the construction of a new auditorium and move the casino downtown to help increase downtown activity




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

ENTERTAINMENT AT THE
ORIGINAL CITY AUDITORIUM
4th & Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Some of the events held here were the great circuses, big bands, basketball games, high school events, musical shows, wrestling matches, farm & horse shows and many other events

Photo #1 - 1950 Women's AAU event
Photo #2 - 1912 Boy's Drill Team perfoming
Photo #3 - 1912 Girl Drill Team performing
Photo #4 - Nov 1950 Roy Rogers show
Photo #5 - A band setting up
Photo #6 - Wrestling advertisement
Photo #7 - Wrestling advertisement
Photo #8 - Central Cheerleaders
Photo #9 - Wrestling Advertisement
Photo #10 - Midget Lord Littlebrook
Photo #11 - Lady Wrestler Betty Niccoli
Photo #12 - Lady Wrestler Jean Antone
Photo #13 - Lady Wrestley Kay Noble
Photo #14 - Omar Atlas
Photo #15 - The Sheik
Photo #16 - Andrea The Giant
Photo #17 - Dick the Bruiser
Photo #18 - Lord Littlebrook and Little Tokyo 2
Photo #19 - January 8, 1971 wrestling on KFEQ TV advertisement
Photo #20 - 1947 or 1948 - Preparing the floor




ORIGINAL CITY AUDITORIUM WRESTLERS
WHO WON HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONS AT
THE CITY AUDITORIUM FROM 1953-1972
4th & Felix
The building was demolished during Urban Renewal

1 2 3 4 4a 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Wrestlers above won the Heavyweight Championship from 1953-1972
Sonny Meyers won the 1st one in 1953 and 6 more times over the years
Photo #12 shows what years they won the Championship

Photo #1 - Cowboy Bob Ellis
Photo #2 - Bob Geigel
Photo #3 - Bulldog Bob Brown
Photo #4 - Danny Littlebear
Photo #4a - Danny Littlebear
Photo #5 - Harley Race
Photo #6 - Lee Henning
Photo #7 - Mike DiBiase
Photo #8 - Roger Kirby
Photo #9 - Ronnie Etchison
Photo #10 - Sonny Meyers
Photo #11 - Thor Hagen
Photo #12 - NWA Championship Wrestlers
Photos were submitted by Brooke Hickman




New Auditorium1 New Auditorium2 New Auditorium3 New Auditorium4 New Auditorium5 New Auditorium6 New Auditorium7

ST JOSEPH CIVIC ARENA
4th & Felix

This is St Joseph's new auditorium, it is called the Civic Arena
It is bounded by 4th and 5th Streets, Felix and Francis Streets

This new structure was built to replace the original City Auditorium

It is not nearly as well liked as the original auditorium

One of the new defective multi-level parking lots is just east of the Arena

It's top level has been blocked off as it was deemed to be unsafe

The city is now wanting to either remove the defective level or repair it

Nothing to date has been done to the upper level as yet

Photo #1 - One of the defective parking lots, Civic Arena in background
Photo #2 - Civic Arena & City parking lot as viewed from 5th & Felix
Photo #3 - Civic Arena as viewed from 4th & Felix
Photo #4 - Civic Arena as viewed from 4th Street
Photo #5 - 2013 photo of the defective parking lot taken by David Osgood
Photo #6 - 2013 photo of the defective parking lot taken by David Osgood
Photo #7 - Civic Arena as viewed from 4th & Felix






JOHNSON-WOODBURY HAT COMPANY
4th & Felix
Circa 1890
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Circa 1857
STATE SAVINGS BANK
Circa 1859
MISSOURI VALLEY TRUST COMPANY
402 Felix

Established in 1857, this was the State Savings Bank, A. M. Saxton was the president
By May, 1881, Saxton had withdrawn from the corporation. C. B. France was elected president, R. L. McDonald was chosen vice-president, and E. Lindsay cashier. The bank had a capital of $100,000 and surplus of $75,000
The bank retained its state charter until 1890 when it was made a national bank
In 1899, the Missouri Valley Trust Company took over the building
Missouri Valley Trust Company is located at the SE corner of 4th & Felix
The Missouri Valley Trust Company is still in operation in 2015

Photo #1 - Current photo
Photo #2 - Current photo
Photo #3 - Current photo
Photo #4 - Current photo
Photo #5 - Current photo
Photo #6 - 1940's black & white photo
Photo #7 - The beautiful interior
Photo #8 - Circa 1907 photo
Photo #9 - The vault
Photo #10 - Beautiful teller window
Photo #11 - Early 1900's photo
Photo #12 - 1875 Advertisement
Photo #13 - 1878 Advertisement






LOOKING EAST ON FELIX
BETWEEN 4th & 5th STREETS
Buildings on left were demolished during Urban Renewal

A multi level city parking lot replaced all of the buildings on the left side of this photo between 4th & 5th on Felix Street






CHESMORE SEED RETAIL STORE
401-403 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot now occupies this location




ST JOSEPH RETAIL GROCERS
402½ Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal




SQUARE DEAL SHOE STORE
405 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot now occupies this location






Circa 1869
N. D. GOFF
THE LEADING CASH HATTER
SHEA FURNITURE COMPANY
407 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot now occupies this location




Circa 1880
SCALISI SHOE REPAIR
408-410 Felix

Samuel Scalisi proprietor




ZWONKA FIX IT SHOP
409 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot now occupies this location






SCHNEITTER RADIO COMPANY WAREHOUSE
409-411 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Schneitter Radio Company warehouse was located at this address






Circa 1880
SCHNEITTER RADIO COMPANY
ROYER STAMP COMPANY
410 Felix

Schneitter Radio Company office was located at this address
Later Goldsberry and Son Rubber Stamps occupied the building




1 2 3

Circa 1920
ROBINSON, McWILLIAMS & BURNHAM
INSURANCE AGENCY
NORTHWEST MISSOURI GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
412 Felix

Currently the home of Northwest Missouri Genealogical Society






SOUTHERN PIT BARBEQUE
OLE HICKORY BARBEQUE
413 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot is now at this location
Tom Hoecker started this BBQ restaurant, Nichols was the last proprietor




WESTERN UNION TELEGRAPH
AMERICAN DISTRICT TELEGRAPH
414 Felix
Circa: 1953

In 1953, American District Telegraph Company was also in this building with Western Union






KAHN & COMPANY CLOTHIERS
MONTY-HAYNES-MARECHAL PAINT & WALLPAPER
415-417 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot now at this location
Nichols - proprietor




COBB SHOE COMPANY
416 Felix






Circa 1878
E.D. HOLTHAUS CONFECTIONS & ICE CREAM
420 Felix
Circa 1955
SNYDER OFFICE EQUIPMENT CO
420 Felix




SUPERIOR WINDOW CLEANING CO
419 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot now at this location




JOHN JOSEPH RESTAURANT
421 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Listed as John Joseph Restaurant in 1953 city directory
Multi level city parking lot now at this location




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Circa 1902
CORBY-FORSEE BUILDING
THE FOUNTAINS APARTMENTS CORBY PLACE
422-428 Felix

In 1910, the John Corby and Dr Edgar Forsee Corporation constructed a 12 story building called the Corby-Forsee Building at 422 Felix

In 1927, an addition of another floor was added to house the St Joseph Grain Exchange making the building 13 stories tall

It was the 1st multi-level office complex to be built in St Joseph

The building had 200 offices, each with it's own lavatory

It has now been converted into an apartment complex called The Fountains at Corby Place

Photo #1 - Corby Building Facad, now called The Fountains at Corby Place
Photo #2 - Corby Building
Photo #3 - Corby Building
Photo #4 - Corby Building Elevators with brass doors
Photo #6 - 1931 photo of lighted sign on top of the Corby Building
Photo #7 - 1922 photo, showing Corby Building with sign on top
Photo #8 - 2012 photo, looking west from top level of Corby Building
Photo #9 - Main entrance of the Corby Building
Photo #10 - 1914 newspaper photo of lighted sign on top of the Corby Building
Photo #11 - Looking east down Felix, the Corby Cigar Store's sign visible
Photo #12 - Westward view down 4th Street from the Corby Building
Photo #13 - 1928 photo of the first floor - St Joseph Grain Exchange
Photo #14 - An old photo of the Corby Building




Circa 1921
BOEGLE BROTHERS SHOES
Circa 1953
TH0MPSON OPTICAL COMPANY
423 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Multi level city parking lot now at this location






CORBY CIGAR STORE
424 Felix

Corby Cigar Store was located at the Corby Building






Circa 1878
J. FORBES & COMPANY FANCY GROCERIES
425 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Importers of fine groceries
Multi level city parking lot now at this location




HAHN MUSIC & APPLIANCE COMPANY
427 Felix
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Ernie Hahn - proprietor
Multi level city parking lot now at this location




MECHANICS BANK
428 Felix
Circa: 1953






NELLY DON FABRIC SHOP
109 North 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal





1 2 3 4 5 6

AMERICAN ELECTRIC COMPANY
116-118 North 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal
300 North 3rd Sales Office

One of St Joseph's oldest electrical & radio supply companies
The American Electric sales office is still located at 300 North 3rd Street
American Electric is currently building a new structure at 8th & Messanie

Photo #1 - Original American Electric building at 116-118 North 4th
Photo #2 - 1950's or later - note difference in top of the building
Photo #3 - The empty lot created during Urban Renewal
Photo #4 - Sales office at 300 North 3rd Street
Photo #5 - Sales office at 300 North 3rd Street






NATIONAL BELLAS HESS
119 North 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Catalog department for Bellas Hess
Photo - 1946 newspaper photo of Bellas Hess catalog department



FRANCIS STREET INTERSECTS



1 2

BILL'S CLUB
408 Francis Street

Photo #1 - Bill's Club marquee is visible mid-block
The Pioneer Building with its distinctive roofline is clearly visible in the background

Photo #2 - The Photographer walked a further past Bill's Club and took a photo of a crane taking out an old building on the SW corner of 5th and Francis
Photos donated by Dave Sietzen






Zion Church
4th & Francis Street
Circa: 1847


/>

1 2

LEO'S CASTLE ON THE HILL CAFETERIA
4th & Francis
Circa 1951

Photos - 1951 St Joseph News-Press advertisements for Leo's "Castle On The Hill" restaurant




1 2 3 4 5

Circa 1885-1935
SAXTON NATIONAL BANK
4th & Francis

In 1885, this bank was located on the northeast corner of 4th & Francis
At the time, it was the largest bank in St Joseph
Photos #4 & 5 are the lion statues once located at the entrance






Photo Circa 1976
4th & Francis

1976 Photo during Urban Renewal looking north on 4th Street
Big Smith can be seen in the background




1 2

REGNIER & SHOUP CROCKERY
4th & Francis

Once located on NE corner of 4th & Francis Street
Supplied the new Hotel Robidoux with all the dishes and glassware
Hotel Robidoux can be seen further down the block
Photo #2 is a hand lettered glass paperweight






Circa 1916
LEE BROOM
420 Francis

Automobile tire recapper




1 2 3 4 5 Robidoux Center6 Robidoux Center7 Robidoux Center8 Robidoux Center9 Robidoux Center10

Circa 1922
HOTEL JEROME & LEE BROOM RESTAURANT
416-420 Francis

On June 17, 1922, Lee C Broom leased the property at 416-418 Francis
Lee C Broom constructed the Hotel Jerome on the site
The hotel, a six story, 75 room hotel, opened in 1922 at 416-418 Francis Street

The hotel was managed by Mr Harold Gordon

In 1936, the Lee Broom restaurant was located in the adjoining buiding at 420 Francis
The restaurant later became Gordon's Restaurant

On the 1st day of August, 1936 Broom leased all property for 15 years to William T. Wheeler
Lee C Broom passed away in June 1946

The hotel was gutted by fire on March 4, 1957 and ordered by the city to be demolished

Some of the above details were donated by: Don Erck, Elk Grove, CA

DESCRIPTION FOR PHOTO #5 SUBMITTED BY Andrew Poage:
This photo shows the sides of the old American Electric building and the Tootle-Hosea building (center and right) on north 4th street. We would now be looking at Civic Arena and the parking garage

Photo #1 - The empty lot where the Hotel Jerome once was, Hotel Robidoux is visible in the background
Photo #2 - The Jerome Hotel
Photo #3 - Jerome Hotel advertisement
Photo #4 - Jerome Hotel postcard
Photo #5 - The remnants of the hotel
Photo #6 - March 4,1957 fire - note Gordon Restaurant sign is visible
Photo #7 - Slightly better photo than #2
Photo #8 - Hotel Jerome stationary
Photo #9 - Lee Broom Restaurant
Photo #10 - Lee Broom Restaurant
Photo #1 donated by Dave Sietzen




GORDON'S JEROME CAFE
418 Francis Street




JEROME COCKTAIL LOUNGE
420 Francis Street




PONY EXPRESS SHOP
428 Francis Street






Photo Circa 1877
WILCOX & GIBBS SEWING MACHINES
429 Francis Street




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1880
R. L. McDONALD
WHOLESALE DRY GOODS
Circa 1917
UNITED STATES RUBBER COMPANY
McCORD-NORTON DIVISION
BIG SMITH
202-208 North 4th

Located on the Northwest corner of 4th & Francis
In 1880 R.L. McDonald wholesale dry goods occupied this building
In 1917 the United States Rubber Company took over McCord-Norton
McCord-Norton was previously located at 104-108 North 3rd Street
McCord-Norton made rubber shoes
J.E. McCord and T.F. Norton owners
It later became the home of Big Smith
Makers of Big Smith jeans & overalls
Big Smith was one of the first jean companies to leave town



Photo #1 - Present day
Photo #2 - Present day
Photo #3 - Circa 1920's
Photo #4 - Present day
Photo #5 - Circa 1970's
Photo #6 - Circa 1920's - looking west on Francis
Photo #7 - R L McDonalds Dry Goods
Photo #8 - 1936 Big Smith workers




1 2 3 4

Circa 1850
ENGLEHART-DAVISON WHOLESALE MILINERY
THE LOFTS
212-214 North 4th

Established in 1850
Located between Boudreau's Louisana Seafood & Steaks and Big Smith
Rather than tearing this building down, only the inside was gutted
The outside was then fully restored but remained gutted
As of 2013, the building is complete and has been converted into Lofts for rent
This is one beautiful, unreplaceable building, many thanks to those who saved it

Photo #1 - 1928 Advertisement
Photo #2 - The building with the insides gutted
Photo #3 - The building insides being restored
Photo #4 - Completed restoration photo




Circa 1850
LOADING DOCK USED BY NOMA LITES
219 North 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Established in 1850




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Circa 1882
BRITTAIN-RICHARDSON DRY GOODS
Circa 1890
JOHN S. BRITTAIN DRY GOODS
JOHNNY FRY'S RESTAURANT
BOUDREAU'S LOUISIANA SEAFOOD
224 North 4th
(Southwest Corner of 4th & Jules)

In 1882, John D. Richardson became partners with John S. Brittain
The Brittain-Richardson Dry Goods was located on the Southwest corner 4th and Jules which is currently the home of Boudreau's Louisiana Seafood
In 1890, John D. Richardson dissolved his partnership with Brittain and built his own Dry Goods building at 300 North 3rd Street
Some photos circa are about 1882, some are more current
This building has been fully restored and modified as a restaurant

The entire 200 block of North 4th Street was once known as "Wholesale Row"

Per the 'Downtown St Joseph Walking Tour' booklet, the warehouse buildings were built in the early 1880s
The booklet goes on to say that 'Wholesale Row' is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

I remember a pawn shop occupying this building before it was Johnny Fry's

It later became Johnny Fry's Restaurant

In January 2001, Robert Boudreau opened his restaurant here

Mr Boudreau passed away February 2014

It is still open for business in 2014 and serves great seafood & steak meals


Photo #1 - sumbitted by Andrew Poage
Photo #5 - 2014 photo of Boudreux restaurant
Photo #6 - Refurbished building front
Photo #11 - Photo of Robert Boudreaux
Photo #12 - Interior view of Boudreux restaurant




JULES STREET INTERSECTS



1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1907
HILLYARD CHEMICAL COMPANY
HILLYARD DISINFECTANT COMPANY
HILLYARD,INC
4th & Jules

Hillyard, Inc is located at 4th & Jules Streets
Earlier known as Hillyard Disinfectant Company and Hillyard Chemical
Hillyards is a privately owned cleaning products company
Their speciality is providing products for cleaning and maintenance of wood basketball courts
Newton S. Hillyard founded the company in 1907 as a cleaning supplies manufacturer
Hillyard's son Marvin asked him to sponsor a basketball team
Newton S. then developed the company's signature cleaning supplies that made the floors "less oily"
It is in it's 4th generation of family ownership since 1907


Photo #1 - Hillyard plant at 4th & Jules
Photo #2 - 1942 envelope postmark
Photo #3 - 1963 circa
Photo #4 - 1971 advertisement
Photo #5 - Transport and drivers
Photo #6 - Horse drawn sales wagon
Photo #7 - 1930's sales truck





1 2

Circa 1849
WHEELER & MOTTER MERCHANTILE
Circa 1892
TOOTLE, WHEELER & MOTTER MERCHANTILE
219-223 North 4th Street

Wheeler & Motter Merchantile began business in 1849
This building was constructed in 1889
It was said to have been one of the city's most impressive buildings
The company was said to carry the largest inventory of dry goods, carpet, notions and furniture west of New York
The building no longer exists (guess it wasn't that impressive)





1 2

Circa early 1900's
BATTREALL-WHITTINGMILL SHOE CO
Circa 1921
BATTREALL SHOE COMPANY
302-306 North 4th Street

Manufacturer of men, women and children's leather shoes
Early 1900's photo of the Battreall-Whittingmill Shoe Company
The building was located on the northwest corner of 4th & Jules Street
After extensive remodeling, it is currently the main headquarters of Hillyard Inc.
The original auditorium can be seen in the far right side




1 2

AERIAL VIEW BUCHANAN COUNTY COURT HOUSE




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Circa 1885
BUCHANAN COUNTY COURT HOUSE
4th & Jules

The Court House had a major fire in 1885
Located on the southwest corner of 4th & Jules
They recently rebuilt the west and south steps however they are no longer used
All entrances except the east door are now closed off for security reasons
Everyone must now pass through a metal detector when upon the building

Photo #1 - 1880's era, note that it had a different looking dome
Photo #4 - Note the Skelly station was removed during Urban Renewal
Photo #6 - Court House photos before and after 1885 court house fire
Photos #7-13 were taken in 2013 by David Osgood
Photo #14 - Circa: 1906 postcard
Photo #15 - Skelly Station across from Court House 25.9 cent gasoline




1 2 3

DOWNTOWN SKELLY STATION
501 Jules
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This gas station was located east of Buchanan Court House
A city parking lot replaced the structure during Urban Renewal




1 2 3

TOOTLE-CAMPBELL DRY GOODS
HILLYARD INDUSTRIES
308-324 North 4th

Photo #3 - 1909 circa photo
Currently occupied by Hillyard Industries




ROSS AUTO PARK #4
401 North 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Currently it is a parking lot for the law enforcement




Circa 1850
FLETCHALL'S MARKET
BAIL BOND OFFICE
504 North 4th

Established in 1850
Has been a Bail Bond office for many years
Appeared to be closed down the last time I looked






BUCHANAN COUNTY POOR HOUSE
4th & Faraon



FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 4th STREET
SOUTH 4th STREET BEGINS HERE





Circa 1893
FARBER SEED COMPANY
South 4th Street

Established 1893
Exact address is unknown





Circa 1875
UNION COMPANY FURNITURE SHOWROOM
South 4th, between Felix & Edmond

The Union Company Furniture factory located on a corner at 7th & Edmond
Exact addresses are unknown



GOLDSBERRY & SONS RUBBER STAMPS
101 South 4th






Circa 1886
ST JOSEPH TRANSFER COMPANY
103 South 4th

Photo: 1886 Advertisement for St Joseph Transfer & the Pony Express stables






Circa 1955
NATIONAL CASH REGISTER
ST VINCENT DE PAUL RETAIL STORE
105 South 4th






VOSS BROTHERS WALLPAPER & PAINT
THE BODER BUILDING
107-109 South 4th




REES PRINTING COMPANY
112 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal






NEUDORFF'S HARDWARE
114 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal






Circa 1890
BATCHELLER WESTERN GUN WORKS
115 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal




ANCHOR SERUM DISTRIBUTORS
116-118 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal






PAUL BLOCK FURNITURE (STORAGE)
117 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This building was located just north of Garland's Tavern






COOKMAN LITHO PRINTING
SCHLITZ CAFE
CRYSTAL CAFE
119 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Located where Garland Tavern was




1 2 3 4

GARLAND'S TAVERN
SCHLITZ CAFE
119 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This business was located on the northeast corner of 4th & Edmond
It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal

#1 - Looking north from 4th & Edmond - Garland's Tavern, Schlitz Cafe, Block Storage & Voss Wallpaper
#2 - Garland's Tavern - 4th Street on left, Edmond Street on bottom right
#3 - Looking west on Edmond: Garland's Tavern, another tavern, barber shop & Paul Block's Furniture at far right side
#4 - Looking west on Edmond: Garland's Tavern, another tavern, barber shop & Paul Block's Furniture at far right side
Photos #1,2 & 3 donated by Dave Sietzen




IMMEL AUTO SERVICE
120 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal



EDMOND STREET INTERSECTS





ABE'S BARBER SHOP
POD'S TAVERN
400 Block of Edmond







Circa 1860
ED T. PEARSON DRY GOODS
Southeast corner of 4th & Edmond





1 2

Circa 1868
JULES ROBIDOUX HOME
PIONEER CLOTHING COMPANY
PAUL BLOCK USED FURNITURE
4th & Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Exact address unknown
This was once Jules Robidoux's home
It was located on the north side of Edmond between 4th & 5th Streets
In 1868, Joseph Robidoux's funeral was held here
Pioneer Clothing Company had a store front
The last owner was Paul Block who sold used furniture for many years at this location
The structure was torn down in the 1970's during Urban Renewal




CENTRAL HOTEL
CRYSTAL BAR
401 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal




1 2 3 4

BLOCK'S ARMY SURPLUS
402 Edmond

Originally, Block's was located at 5th & Felix Streets (photo #1)
It was later moved to 402 Edmond, Leon Block was the proprietor (photo #2)
I'm sure everybody remembers Block's Army Surplus at 4th & Edmond
He had the best price in town for Levi jeans, canvas, boots, sleds, just about anything you would possibly want

Photo #1 - Block's at 5th & Felix Streets
Photo #2 - Block's at 4th & Edmond Streets
Photo #3 - Block's at 4th & Edmond Streets





HORTON & RHODES BARBERS
405 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal




HOCKMAN ARMY SURPLUS
407 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal




RINGER FURNISHED ROOMS
407½ Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal




PARKER HARDWARE
409-411 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal




Circa 1900
FRANK MARCHAINI RESTAURANT
BLOCK'S ARMY SURPLUS
408-410 Edmond Street






Circa 1906
SCHNAITMAN BROTHERS HARNESS SHOP
412-414 Edmond

This was located at the same address as the Apex-Buffalo Saloon for reasons unknown

Photo - Circa 1906 Schnaitman Brothers Harness Shop, name unknown




1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Circa 1854
APEX-BUFFALO SALOON
412-414 Edmond
205-207 South 4th

In 1854, Fred Stephfen and George Bode founded the Buffalo Saloon at 412 Edmond Street
According to the 1953 city directory, there was also an entrance from 4th street

Photo #1 - Newspaper article about the saloon
Photo #2 - An Apex-Buffalo token
Photo #3 - Newspaper article
Phoro #4 - Advertising Baseball score keeper
Photo #5 - Inside view of Baseball score keeper
Photo #6 - Matchbook cover
Photo #7 - Apex-Buffalo Saloon recent photo






BLOCK BROTHERS FURNITURE
413 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This was a furniture store owned & operated by Paul Block
There may have been other relatives in this business with Paul Block
It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal






Circa 1919
JOHN JOSEPH CAFE
JOHN JOSEPH RESTAURANT
415 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

This was a small cafe located at 415 Edmond
The cafe was built in 1919
They offered hamburgers for 25 cents and you could get a soda for 5 cents
All of the buildings on the north side of this block of Edmond Street became one large parking lot during Urban Renewal
Listed as John Joseph Restaurant in 1953 city directory






Circa 1927
ELLINGER SPORTING GOODS
BLEDSOE LINOLEUM & CARPET
416 Edmond Street

In 1927 this was Ellinger Sporting Goods
In 1953 this was Bledsoe Linoleum & Carpet






CHANDLEE PAINT & GLASS COMPANY
417 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

Chandlee had a 2nd store at 503 South 6th Street
Photo - 1917 advertisement




Circa 1870
COX SEED COMPANY
Circa 1900
KOBLITZ & COX SEED COMPANY
Circa 1955
ROLLER EQUIPMENT CO
418 Edmond Street

Mr S. N. Cox established the business in 1870
Mr Koblitz, age 47, a native of Germany, came to St Joseph in 1888
In 1900,Koblitz joined Cox in the business
The seed company began in a house located at 418 Edmond in 1870
They had a large supply of all kinds of seeds, fertilizers and chicken feed





PASHIK BROKERAGE CO
418 Edmond Street




TWENTIETH CENTURY PARKING LOT
419 Edmond Street
Demolished during Urban Renewal

It is now a parking lot created during Urban Renewal




MISSOURI LOAN
420 Edmond Street






RHODES BARBER SHOP
421 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

All of the buildings on the north side of this block of Edmond Street became one large parking lot during Urban Renewal




1 2 3

Circa 1885
LYON & JUDSON HARDWARE
423-425 Edmond
Demolished during Urban Renewal

All of the buildings on the north side of this block of Edmond Street became one large parking lot during Urban Renewal




JUNCTION TAVERN
424 Edmond Street




JUNCTION CIGAR STORE
426 Edmond Street




BROWN DERBY CAFE
428 Edmond Street




1 2 3

Circa 1877
STUDEBAKER & WELCH CARRIAGE COMPANY
APEX-BUFFLAO SALOON
205-207 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal

The Studebaker & Welch Carriage Company from 1877-1882
The building later housed Apex-Buffalo Saloon
Photo #1 - Circa 1877
Photo #2 - Circa 1882
Photo #3 - Circa 1878




1 2

Circa 1896
CHESMORE-EASTLAKE MERCHANTILE
Circa 1960's
POTTER MATTRESS & BOX SPRINGS
206 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal






LIEBLING FURNITURE
ROSS-FRAZER SUPPLY
210-214 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal






OWEN IMPLEMENT
211 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2

COMBE PRINTING COMPANY
MIDWEST COUNTER TOPS
215 South 4th






Circa 1900
JOHNSON-WOODBURY HAT COMPANY
TRISTATE WINDOWS & AWNINGS
216 South 4th
Demolished during Urban Renewal




1 2 3 4 5 6

Circa 1875
ST JOSEPH GAZETTE
ST JOSEPH TENT & AWNING
BODYGUARD MANUFACTURING
APPLIANCE MAN RENTALS
222 South 4th

This building was built in 1874
TIn 1845, St Joseph Gazette was founded by William Ridenbaugh
In 1875, the Gazette newspaper office moved to this location
In 1875, Eugene Field served as the Gazette editor
Mr Field was married to local resident Julia Comstock
Other businesses that were at this address include:
  • Queen City Carriage Company
  • Rossi Saddlery
  • St Joseph Tent & Awning
  • Bodyguard (maker of Firemen's clothing)
  • Appliance Man Rental

  • The 1991 survey lists this building as "contributing" on the National Register of Historic Places
    It is in the South Fourth Street Historic District
    St. Joseph Tent and Awning along with Bodyguard occupied this building for many years
    St Joseph Tent & Awning consumed the 1st floor, Bodyguard was on the 2nd floor

    Bodyguard Manufacturing made fireman coats, pants and steel insoles

    In 1963, I worked part time after my college classes for Bodyguard making steel insoles for fireman boots & painting names on fireman coats

    Appliance Man Rentals occupied this building in later years and has remodeled the building

    Photo #1 - Circa 1875 - St Joseph Gazette
    Photo #2 - Circa 1960's - St Joseph Tent & Awning
    Photo #3 - Circa 1995 - Appliance Man Rentals
    Photo #4 - Circa 2013 - Appliance Man Rentals






    COMBE PRINTING COMPANY
    223 South 4th



    CHARLES STREET INTERSECTS





    OLE MAN JACKSON FURNITURE
    4th & Charles

    Ole Man Jackson had 2 stores, his 1st store was located at 4th & Charles

    His 2nd store was at 307-311 South 6th (see 6th Street for the photo)

    Ole Man Jackson can be seen lounging in the recliner in this photo

    The photo was taken around 1962 on 5th Street just south of Edmond during the Apple Blossom Parade

    Rick Stafford's sister, Carol (Stafford) Kramer, is the girl standing up showing off the Westinghouse refrigerator

    Jackson and Rick's father were very close friends and he wanted Carol to be the "Westinghouse lady" in the parade

    Ole man Jackson Furniture was not the same as the Jackson furniture store that was on South 6th

    Ole Man Jackson also had another store in the 1970's south of Betty Jackson's store next to the Greyhound depot at 6th and Charles

    In the 1960's Ole Man Jackson had the largest furniture store in Northwest MO

    Photo donated by Rick Stafford



    HECKEL GARAGE
    301 South 4th
    Demolished during Urban Renewal




    SCHULER SERVICE STATION
    302 South 4th
    Demolished during Urban Renewal



    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

    Circa 1902
    J. H. ROBISON HEAVY HARDWARE
    JAMES R. HOPKINS ORIENTAL WARES
    HILAND DAIRY (WESTERN DAIRY) WAREHOUSE
    306 South 4th
    217 South 4th
    4th & Francis
    Destroyed by Fire

    The J. H. Robison Heavy Hardware building was constructed in 1882

    In 1902, Mr James R. Hopkins founded the J R Hopkins Oriental Wares at 306 South 4th in the J H Robison Heavy Hardware building

    The business was later moved to the huge warehouse at 217 South 4th

    (northeast corner of 4th & Charles, all windows are now covered green)

    By 1920, Mr Hopkins business had grown so well, the business was relocated to the northwest corner of 4th & Francis (we know it as the Big Smith building)

    They occupied the Big Smith building for several decades between 1920 and 1950

    In 1942, the Hopkins firm was shipping goods to 38 states

    At one time, Mr. Hopkins was listed as the largest Oriental importer in the USA

    In the 1960's, when I worked for Western Dairy, which was owned by Hiland Dairy in Springfield MO, we stored milk cases, milk bottles, milk boxes and other equipment in the building at 306 South 4th

    In 1981, the building was destroyed by fire

    Photo #1 - This was J R Hopkins Oriental Wares first location
    Photo #2 - Interior photo of their showroom at 4th & Francis
    Photo #3 - Front cover of their catalog when located in the Big Smith building
    Photo #4 - Modern photo of the Big Smith building
    Photo #5 - James Robert Hopkins (1868-1952)
    Photo #6 - Painted on name of J R Hopkins is visible on side wall
    Photo #1 - J. H. Robison Heavy Hardware building (constructed in 1882)
    Photo #2 - 1981 photo of the building on fire
    Photo #3 - 1981 St Joseph News-Press article about the fire
    Photos donated by Blair Carmichael (Great Grandson of James R Hopkins)




    BROOM FACTORY
    PRODUCTS FOR THE BLIND
    NW MO ASSOCIATION FOR THE BLIND
    307 South 4th




    VACANT IN 1953
    310 South 4th
    Demolished during Urban Renewal






    CLARK DELIVERY
    CLARK MOTORCYCLE SALES
    BRINKS
    314-316 South 4th




    1 2

    RICHMOND SCREW & ANCHOR
    315 South 4th Street

    This building was razed in late 2015 (July or August)
    A new very large has now been constructed on this site






    JOHNSON & JOHNSON RESTAURANT EQUIPMENT
    318-320 South 4th
    Demolished during Urban Renewal






    COOKMAN INSTANT PRINTING
    322 South 4th
    Demolished during Urban Renewal




    LEONARD WHOLESALE MEATS
    323 South 4th
    Demolished during Urban Renewal



    SYLVANIE STREET INTERSECTS



    CENTRAL STATES GROCERY
    401 South 4th Street




    1 2 3 4

    SCHNIETTER RADIO WAREHOUSE
    SCHNIETTER FIREWORKS COMPANY
    SCHNIETTER LUMBER WORKS
    409-411 South 4th Street

    Photo #1 - Photo when Schnietter occupied the building
    Photo #2 - Current condition of the building
    Photo #3 - Current condition of the building
    Photo #4 - Schnietter Radio Company advertisement






    WING PRINTING
    413 South 4th Street

    Logan Wing, Sr founded the Wing Printing company
    The business was passed down to Kenneth Wing and then to his son, Roger Wing
    Roger Wing currently owns Wing Printing

    Photo #1 - looking south on 4th Street
    Photo #2 - Looking North on 4th Street in 2002
    Photo #2 - There is a sign painted on the lower floor for Cookman Litho Printing
    Photo #3 - 1960's to 1970's photo




    1 2 3

    CARDER GROCERY COMPANY
    WESTERN CHEMICAL
    417-427 South 4th Street

    Western Chemical was once owned by Henry Garvey and was a thriving business
    The building is currently vacant and the inside is in horrible dispair

    Photo #1 - as it looked in the 1970's
    Photo #2 - interior view taken by Keith Wing in 2014
    Photo #3 - interior view taken by Keith Wing in 2014




    ANGELIQUE STREET INTERSECTS



    Circa 1893
    PENNY & PENNY HAY & GRAIN
    4th & Angelique

    Smith Penny and B.L. Penny Hay & Grain Company began in 1893
    The hay, grain and feed company was located on the corner of 4th & Angelique
    It was located in a 4000 square foot brick building constructed in 1893
    The building no longer exists




    BRUMMER & WALDROFF GAS STATION
    501-503 South 4th Street




    OLSON TIN SHOP
    511 South 4th Street




    VACANT IN 1953
    513 South 4th Street




    FAIRBANKS PARKING LOT
    521 South 4th Street




    JOHNSTON CAFE
    523 South 4th Street




    MESSANIE STREET INTERSECTS



    1 2 3 4 5

    Circa late 1800's
    LIZZIE KING HOUSE
    House of ill Repute
    124 South 2nd Street
    415 Messanie

    Miss Lizzie King, St. Joseph's famous madam
    Lizzie King was a famous "Lady of the Evening" in St. Joseph in the late 1800's
    Below is the famous Lizzie King Poem by M. Dailey in 8/17/1911

    Lizzie King Lizzie King had a heart of gold
    A hooker by trade or so we're told
    She'd show up when the guys got paid
    With a surrey of girls - the guys got laid
    She even had brass tokens made
    "Good for 50 cents in trade"
    And when the police came around
    They didn't come to shut her down
    From her bawdy house on Market Square
    Lizzie always gave her share
    She'd donate money - donate clothes
    For the poor and indisposed
    No - Lizzie King of St. Joe fame
    Must have been one classy dame

    Photo #1 - St Joseph News-Press drawing of the house
    Photo #2 - Front side of Lizzie King trade token
    Photo #3 - Back side of Lizzie King trade token
    Photo #3 - Lizzie King photograph
    Photo #4 - Photograph of Lizzie King and her daughter



    JENNIES LUNCH
    QUALITY OIL
    QUALITY OIL SERVICE STATION
    602 South 4th Street




    LOCUST STREET INTERSECTS



    WOODBURY CHEMICAL
    702 South 4th




    RUDY-PATRICK SEED COMPANY
    710 South 4th






    HUNDLEY-FRAZER DRY GOODS
    710 South 4th




    JOHN J MEIERS WHOLESALE GROCERY
    720 South 4th




    MARY STREET INTERSECTS






    KELLOG-KELLY SEED COMPANY
    725-729 South 4th




    Circa 1900
    MOKASKA MILLS
    745 South 4th




    RESEARCH LABRATORIES
    743-749 South 4th




    MISSOURI IRON & METAL
    750-754 South 4th



    PATEE STREET INTERSECTS



    JAMES OIL COMPANY
    802 South 4th




    ST JOSEPH TERMINAL OFFICE & FREIGHT DEPOT
    ATSF RAILWAY FREIGHT HOUSE
    SANTE FE TRANS COMPANY FREIGHT DEPOT
    803 South 4th




    HY-KLAS PRODUCE TERMINAL
    BEATY GROCERY COMPANY
    804 South 4th






    CHESMORE SEED STORE
    838-846 South 4th
    Circa: 1906



    SOUTH 4TH STREET - CB&Q RR CROSSES



    MANNAN-SMITH SUPPLY WAREHOUSE
    1021 South 4th



    SENECA STREET INTERSECTS



    ST JOSEPH FUEL OIL
    CLARK CONSTRUCTION COMPANY
    1207 South 4th




    1 2 3

    SEAMAN & SCHUSKE METAL WORKS
    ST JOSEPH BUILDERS SUPPLY
    1215 South 4th




    CHASE CANDY COMPANY
    1224 South 4th



    MITCHELL AVENUE INTERSECTS





    INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER
    4th & Michell Avenue
    Photo circa 1927




    FARM SUPPLY COMPANY
    (AGRICULTURAL IMPLIMENTS)
    1404 South 4th




    CUT RATE LUMBER YARD
    1425 South 4th



    SACRAMENTO STREET INTERSECTS



    HAPPY HOUR TAVERN
    1506 South 4th



    SOUTH 4TH STREET - CRI & P RR CROSSING



    US AREA ENGINEERS
    1516 South 4th




    INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER
    1521 South 4th



    MONTEREY STREET INTERSECTS



    HUDSON OIL COMPANY
    1601 South 4th




    CORP OF ENGINEERS
    1602 South 4th




    PAYNE SERVICE STATION
    1602 South 4th

    John Payne proprietor



    DUNCAN STREET INTERSECTS





    J S HOPKINS AUTO & TRUCK SERVICE
    1701 South 4th



    TEXAS BULK PLANT
    1702 South 4th




    Letts Box1 Letts Box2 Letts Box3

    LETTS BOX COMPANY
    1802-1822 South 4th St
    (4th & Jackson)

    W.T. Letts, who had immigrated here from England, began this company

    It was later turned over to his son Joe Letts, Sr

    When he retired, his sons Joe Letts, Jr. and Warren Letts took it over the business

    Letts Box Company manufactured wooden boxes, such as egg crates, fruit boxes, chicken coops, pint berry boxes, etc.

    By the mid 1960's, the demand for wooden boxes declined greatly, everyone began using cardboard and paper boxes, the business was dissolved in 1967

    Check out the neat brick street

    The structure no longer exists, it was removed during the construction of I-229

    Photo #1 - Letts Box Company as it appeared in 1918
    Photo #2 - 1958 Letts Fruit crate
    Photo #3 - 1958 Letts Fruit crate
    Photo #1 donated by Rodney Keyes
    Photo #2 donated by Travis Freeman
    Photo #3 donated by Travis Freeman
    Company information provided by W.T. Lett's great granddaughter, Marly Letts




    VISCOSITY OIL COMPANY
    1818 South 4th




    McCORMICK FARM EQUIPMENT COMPANY
    (INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER)
    1825 South 4th



    JACKSON STREET INTERSECTS





    MURPHY SANDWICH SHOP
    1902-1906 South 4th

    1902 South 4th
    This was a great place to eat
    The building was destroyed when the State Highway department built the new
    I-229/US 36 highway at this location




    WOLFLEY SUPER OIL COMPANY
    1916 South 4th




    PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



    Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
    Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


    Return To Main Menu