Originally built in the 1860's as the Bacon House Hotel. Enos E Bacon,
was the proprietor of the Bacon House Hotel. Mr Bacon operated the hotel
from 1889 untill his death in 1895. It then became the Woodland Hotel and later the Jesse James Hotel|
In 1945, the Pioneer room was added. The hotel was located at 224 North 3rd Street,(3rd & Jules).
The building was demolished in 1972 in order to make another parking lot for Wyeth Company
The Pacific House was located on the corner of Third and Francis Streets. It was built
in the winter of 1859/1860. At that time, its principal front was on Francis Street.
Its cost was $120,000. It was opened and kept for some time by Loundsberry.
Shackleford and Hughes soon after succeeded him in the propriertorship.
In 1865, William K. Richardson was keeping the house. He was succeeded by James H. Bagwell,
who continued to keep it till December 15, 1868. In 1868, it was totally destroyed by fire.
In the following summer, it was rebuilt, with its main front on Third Street. On February 14, 1870,
it was opened by Garth, Gilkey & Abell. Two years after, Garth retired from the partnership
Gilkey & Abell continued the business till the expiration of their lease in December, 1879. In 1879,
the building was closed for repairs. The sum of $10,000 was expended for this purpose.
April 1, 1880, Kitchen Bros. proprietors opened the best house ever kept in a building. One of the city's
oldest hotels and had 75 rooms
In 1900, it became the Metropole Hotel and was congratulated as being one of the finest hotels in the west.
Hotel Robidoux replaced the Metropole as being the city's largest hotel. The hotel was razed during
Urban Renewal. A parking lot currently exists at this location