10th street
10th Street & Connecting Streets


Arztwerbung

Search Engine for St Joseph Memory Lane's Website
Need help finding a person, business, address or a thing?
Just type one or more words for a fast search

Click on a thumbnail to view a photo
NOTE:Some photos may require an extra click to view a larger photo

FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 10th STREET
NORTH 10th STREET BEGINS HERE





ST JOSEPH'S 1st HIGH SCHOOL
10th & Felix

This building served as St Joseph's 1st high school for more than 100 years
It was located near 10th & Felix

In the 1970's, the Land Clearance Redevelopement Authority moved the house to an area around 6th & Atchison




1 2


Circa 1959
HOUSES REMOVED FOR LIBRARY PARKING
10th & Felix

Photo #1 is looking southwest from 10th & Felix
Photo #2 1930's - a lady standing on the corner, houses in background were razed

In 1959, one of downtown's greatest needs was off-street parking for the main library located at 10th & Felix

At the time, the only parking available was street parking in front of the library

The city purchased all of the buildings within a square block from Edmond to Felix and from 9th to 10th streets

Within this square block, the city created a large off-street parking for the library and other businesses

The old buildings in the photo were some of those removed so the new parking lot could be created

The Western Auto store was also among these buildings

A Senior Citizens center would later be constructed here with a 9th Street entrance

Photo #1 - 1959 St Joseph News-Press photo




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20


Circa 1903
ST JOSEPH PUBLIC LIBRARY
10th & Felix

School District Offices and Public Library are also in this building

The downtown library has been totally remodeled

It really looks nice inside, glad they fixed it up instead of letting it deteriorate

Photo #1 - Circa 1903 - Horse & buggy day photo
Photo #2 - Public Library
Photo #3 - Entrance to children section
Photo #4 - Present day front view
Photo #5 - Old interior view
Photo #6 - Library floor plan
Photo #7 - St Joseph Bookmobile
Photo #8 - Interior view
Photo #9 - 1903 photo
Photo #10 - Ceiling photo
Photo #11 - Glass floor photo
Photo #12 - Modern view from 10th Street
Photo #13 - Interior view
Photo #14 - Old interior view
Photo #15 - Old postcard
Photo #16 - Harrison County Bookmobile
Photo #17 - Eugene Fields Little Boy Blue
Photo #18 - Library viewed from 10th Street
Photo #19 - 1915 Article about the St Joseph Library
Photo #20 - Circa 1903 St Joseph Public Library







ROTC BUILDING
10th & Felix

The ROTC building was located across the street north from Junior College
Photo - 1973 newspaper photo razing of the ROTC building






PRINZ DANCING ACADEMY
EAGLES LODGE
10th & Robidoux

Edward A. Prinz Dance Academy
He taught ballroom dancing etiquette to young men and women at Prinz's Academy
The actress Jane Wyman took dancing lessons here as a child
In the early 1960's, a record hop for teens was held in the upper floor







YMCA
401 North 10th Street

The building no longer exists, currently an empty lot








FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH
402 North 10th Street








Circa 1930
WALTER YOUNG'S AUTO LAUNDRY
415 North 10th Street

The original building no longer exists
Another structure has taken it's place








Circa 1916
FLEEMAN-HEATON UNDERTAKERS
416 North 10th Street








UNKNOWN GROCERY STORE
610 North 10th Street




JULES STREET INTERSECTS



1 2 3 4


IRISH-AMERICAN BUILDING
EAGLES LODGE
10th & Jules Street

Photo #1 - Circa 1900 - Irish American Building
Photo #2 - Circa 1900 - purchased by the Eagles Lodge in 1909
Photo #3 - Circa 1915 - Eagles Lodge
Photo #4 - Circa 1925 - Lehr Construction, Irish American building in background



FARAON STREET INTERSECTS



1 2


SOUTHWESTERN BELL TELEPHONE (SWB)
10th & Faraon

Photo #1 - St Joseph News-Press newspaper photo of new addition
Photo #2 - 1979 line up of telephone operators




1015 Faraon1 2 1015 Faraon3


Circa 1888
WYETH FLATS
OAK CENTER APARTMENTS
SAN REGIS APARTMENTS
1015-1031 Faraon

W.M. Wyeth, born Harrisburg, PA, in 1832 came to St. Joseph in 1859, the same year as the completion of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad.
With $5,000 in stock he commenced what would grow into the giant Wyeth Hardware Company.
This building was one of three which he built, one being the location of the St. Joseph Museum at 12th & Charles
View of Oak Center apartments at 1015 Faraon, now called the San Regis Apartments
Note the overhead trolley wires & 1930's vehicles



FREDERICK AVENUE INTERSECTS



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Circa 1940
PONY EXPRESS STATUE
Civic Center Park
10th & Frederick

The Pony Express Statue was unveiled on April 21, 1940

The Pony Express Statue resides on a small triangular shaped park bounded by 9th & 10th streets and Frederick Avenue & Francis Street

The sculptor was Herman Macneil (see photo #12)

Photo #1 - 2008 looking north from Faraon
Photo #2 - 1955 American Motorcycle club - buildings in background were removed during Urban Renewal
Photo #3 - Pony Express Statue
Photo #4 - Pony Express Statue
Photo #5 - 1994 Harley Davidson H.O.G. members, my wife and I are in this photo
Photo #6 - Pony Express Statue
Photo #7 - Pony Express Statue
Photo #8 - Pony Express Statue
Photo #9 - Pony Express Statue
Photo #10 - April 21, 1940, unveiling of the statue
Photo #11 - Pony Express Statue
Photo #12 - Sculptor was HERMAN MACNEIL, April 1940 unveiling - St Joseph News-Press photo
Photo #13 - April 21, 1940, better photo of the unveiling of the statue
Photo #14 - Beautiful photo of the Pony Express Statue






Circa 1975
WESLEY SENIOR TOWER APARTMENTS
10th & Francis Streets






Circa 1930's
Deep water near 10th & Francis




1 2 3

Circa 1959
POLSKY MOTORS
MODERN MOTORS
BILL MILLER BUICK
1002 Francis




HERMAN DRUG STORE
1027 Frederick Avenue




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Circa 1946
SAMMY'S DRUG & PRESCRIPTION SHOP
1001 Frederick Avenue

There was an Art Deco sign on the southwest corner of the building and the combination of red and buff brick divides the building into segments. The building was enlarged in 1966 at which time the original show windows were bricked up.
Sam Freed was a long time pharmacist in the city, having worked for Herman Drug Company for a number of years before going into business for himself and building this building.
Sammy's Drug Store was once located at 10th & Frederick
At the time, it was one of the most popular in St Joseph
In the 1980's, it was purchased by St Joseph Plasma Center
When the Plasma Center closed, it sat empty for many years
The building was razed in 2014 and currently a parking lot




1 2 3 4 5 6


SAMMY'S DRUGS
& BRAY STUDIO
10th & Frederick

Neither business exists today
St Joseph Plasma purchased the Sammy's Drugs
Many years after St Joseph Plasma left town, the building was razed
It is currently a attractive but empty lot

Photo #1 - Looking West on Frederick at 10th Street - was once filled with buildings
Photo #2 - Looking North on 10th Street,this was Sammy's Drugs - building with red was Bray Photography
Photo #3 - Arial view of 10th & Frederick area
Photo #4 - Folder that the Bray Studio proofs came in
Photo #5 - 1967 newspaper photo of Sammy's
Photo #6 - Mr Bray



FELIX STREET - DIVIDES NORTH AND SOUTH 10th STREET
SOUTH 10th STREET BEGINS HERE



1 2


JOYCE RAYE PATTERSON
SENIOR CITIZENS CENTER
100 South 10th Street

The Joyce Raye Patterson Senior Center is an attractive 19,000 square foot facility for persons over the age of 50

It is not necessary to be a resident of St. Joseph to enjoy use of the center

Parking and access to the center is convenient for users

Approximately 55 groups and organizations meet either daily, weekly, monthly, or quarterly

Some groups have their own membership requirements and/or fees, however, the center does not have a membership fee



EDMOND STREET INTERSECTS
/>




LOOKING NORTH AT 10th & EDMOND
Circa 1979



CHARLES STREET INTERSECTS



Circa 1921
ACE SPECIALTY COMPANY
Leather Specialty Manufacturers
1025 Charles Street



SYLVANIE STREET INTERSECTS





FIRST LUTHERAN CHURCH
302 So 10th




1 2 3 4 5


Circa 1842
HEATON-BOWMAN FUNERAL HOME
1st ST JOSEPH PUBLIC LIBRARY

ELK'S 40 CLUB
319 South 10th Street

The 1st Library was located on the northeast corner of 10th & Sylvanie
In 1913, Frank A. Bowman, saw the merger of David E. Heaton with George J. BeGole and the formation of Heaton-BeGole Undertaking Company
For the first time, ambulance service complemented the range of services provided by Heaton-BeGole
In 1921, David E. Heaton died. George J. BeGole became president/manager and the firm moved to 319 South 10th
After the funeral home closed, the Elk's 40 Club occupied this building
From all appearances, the structure appears empty in 2014

Photo #1 - St Joseph's 1st Public Library
Photo #2 - Current view of structure taken from Sylvanie
Photo #3 - Elk club emblem above door
Photo #5 - 1967 Advertisement



ANGELIQUE STREET INTERSECTS






416 South 10th Street





Parish Hall

Circa 1884
PARISH HALL & PARISH SCHOOL
10th & Angelique

Parish Hall was built in 1884, it also served as Parish School
The structure no longer exists




1 2 3

Circa 1932
Marshall's U.S. Auto Supply
Circa 1940
Marshall's Auto Store
921-923 South 10th Street

Photo #1 - 1932 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #2 - 1940 St Joseph News Press advertisement
Photo #3 - 1943 St Joseph News Press advertisement






Circa 1943
MARSHALLS AUTO STORES
921-923 South 10th Street

This is the earlist listing I have found for Marshalls




PLEASE SIGN MY GUESTBOOK



Feel free to email me with any photo donations, comments or questions
Rick Drozd rickdrozd@gmail.com


Return To Main Menu